Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   When do you qualify as a “new customer“? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711699)

nialli 10-02-2023 08:10

When do you qualify as a “new customer“?

If I end my contract with Virgin Media (after 25 years) and sign up with an alternative, how long is it before VM consider me as a “new customer” and I qualify for those discounted rates?

Hugh 10-02-2023 09:12

Re: When do you qualify as a “new customer“?

From the VM forum

"the existing account would to have a 30 days cancellation completed and then there would need to be no Virgin Media services at the property for 90 days to be able to get the new deal."

So, 120 days

RichardCoulter 10-02-2023 09:52

The 90 days requirement could be circumvented by someone else at the property signing up after the 30 days notice has been completed though.

If a person moved out and someone else moved in, they aren't going to make them wait for 90 days!

This obviously wouldn't work for those that live alone.

nialli 10-02-2023 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36145600)
From the VM forum

"the existing account would to have a 30 days cancellation completed and then there would need to be no Virgin Media services at the property for 90 days to be able to get the new deal."

So, 120 days

Thanks

RichardCoulter 10-02-2023 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36145607)
The 90 days requirement could be circumvented by someone else at the property signing up after the 30 days notice has been completed though.

If a person moved out and someone else moved in, they aren't going to make them wait for 90 days!

This obviously wouldn't work for those that live alone.

This even works for married couples with the same surname from what i've read.

The current account holder may have died or left due to a relationship breakdown, with the 'former' partner recommending Virgin to their 'former' partner before they left.

In the latter case this flip flopping could go on forever if the relationship is anything like Richard Burton & Eluzabeth Tsylor! They'd both keep getting referral fees too ::D

Aye Up 11-02-2023 15:13

In reality if you're looking to sign up to a deal.....who is going to check? Are VM realistically going to turn down your money if you should re-sign a new deal? Regardless of what rules or guidance states.....they ain't gonna go to the effort of forcing you on to an old deal or similar.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

In reality if you're looking to sign up to a deal.....who is going to check? Are VM realistically going to turn down your money if you should re-sign a new deal? Regardless of what rules or guidance states.....they ain't gonna go to the effort of forcing you on to an old deal or similar.

SnoopZ 11-02-2023 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 36145700)

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

I'm sure they will know your name and address is on record and the system will flag it.

jfman 11-02-2023 17:51

I left and rejoined on a new customer deal last year. February to June was the rough gap, I’d need to dig out old statements to confirm exact dates.

Mr K 03-03-2023 17:18

In reality I don't think they apply the rules anyway. They're never going to turn down new custom/money.

RichardCoulter 04-03-2023 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36147376)
In reality I don't think they apply the rules anyway. They're never going to turn down new custom/money.

Exactly, particularly when you consider how disorganised they are.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36145600)
From the VM forum

So, 120 days

I wouldn't include the 30 day notice period as nothing changes throughout this time..

Chrysalis 05-03-2023 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36145619)
This even works for married couples with the same surname from what i've read.

The current account holder may have died or left due to a relationship breakdown, with the 'former' partner recommending Virgin to their 'former' partner before they left.

In the latter case this flip flopping could go on forever if the relationship is anything like Richard Burton & Eluzabeth Tsylor! They'd both keep getting referral fees too ::D

I dont know if its still the case now, but you could used to sign up to VM without living at a property. So would be a way round for those who live alone.

A decade or so ago, my sister couldnt pass the VM credit check, the VM sales guy wanting the sale, drove here, picked me up, drove me to her house, I signed the contract, and he then drove me home again.

RichardCoulter 05-03-2023 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36147503)
I dont know if its still the case now, but you could used to sign up to VM without living at a property. So would be a way round for those who live alone.

A decade or so ago, my sister couldnt pass the VM credit check, the VM sales guy wanting the sale, drove here, picked me up, drove me to her house, I signed the contract, and he then drove me home again.

Interesting! This could prove very useful for some. Thanks for posting.