Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Important: Your phone service is changing (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711644)

techguyone 18-01-2023 12:13

Important: Your phone service is changing

I just had this email:

Quote:

On 13 April your current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. We will send you an adapter in the post which you’ll need to use to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub so you can make and receive phone calls over our fibre network.
What you need to do
Keep an eye out for the adapter. It'll come with simple step-by-step instructions to help you get it set up. You’ll need to do this on or after 13 April.
Do you have any connected devices?
In the unlikely event there’s a power cut or a fibre network disruption, you won’t be able to make or receive calls and most connected devices (such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, a telecare device, or other phones connected to extension sockets) will be affected.
You’ll also need to contact your device provider and let them know about the switch to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
I'm on modem mode, how am I supposed to connect my adaptor when only 1 port is usable (and it's connected to my mesh) or can I connect the adaptor to a spare ethernet port on another mesh unit? (is the adapter ethernet?)

Or does this mean bye bye landline - bit concerned.

BenMcr 18-01-2023 12:14

Re: Important: Your phone service is changing

The two 'TEL' phone sockets on the back of the Hub are separate to the Ethernet ports and work in both Hub mode and Modem mode.

techguyone 18-01-2023 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143870)
The two 'TEL' phone sockets on the back of the Hub are separate to the Ethernet ports and work in both Hub mode and Modem mode.

OK, but can I use one of the ethernets on a mesh unit? the hub was never sited to facilitate a phone as well.

BenMcr 18-01-2023 12:22

No, it has to be one of the 'TEL' sockets on the Hub. Those sockets support standard phone cabling.

Ms NTL 18-01-2023 13:22

VM can install a back up battery for you so that in case of a fault with the Hub the phone can still be used to make emergency calls.

ianch99 18-01-2023 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36143876)
VM can install a back up battery for you so that in case of a fault with the Hub the phone can still be used to make emergency calls.

I find this post very funny :D Well put ..

Inactive Digital 18-01-2023 14:32

What happens if a customer doesn't want their phone and router in the same room?

BenMcr 18-01-2023 14:59

They can use a DECT wireless handset, use standard phone cabling to extend from the Hub, or Virgin Media can go out to amend the wiring if a customer doesn't want to do either of those.

Paul 18-01-2023 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36143869)

When this happens around here, I will probably get rid of the phone line, as it will become no more useful than the various mobile connections I have (in fact, less useful, since they will still work in a power cut).

The question is, can this be done mid contract, without any cancellation charge ? [since they are making the change].

Jaymoss 18-01-2023 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36143893)
When this happens around here, I will probably get rid of the phone line, as it will become no more useful than the various mobile connections I have (in fact, less useful, since they will still work in a power cut).

The question is, can this be done mid contract, without any cancellation charge ? [since they are making the change].

in my experience I have been allowed to change services mid contract on the grounds the contract is renewed. Not sure if this would be the case.

Itshim 18-01-2023 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36143893)

See what you say will the price reduce if you or I decided to get rid of it. Out of contract and have have no use of that type of phone :erm:

Jaymoss 18-01-2023 16:18

got rid of my landline when VM stopped penalising customers for not having one

Inactive Digital 18-01-2023 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143890)
They can use a DECT wireless handset, use standard phone cabling to extend from the Hub, or Virgin Media can go out to amend the wiring if a customer doesn't want to do either of those.

Interesting, thanks. Our landline is in the home office, tucked away and only receiving rare calls from elderly relatives, whereas the router is in the lounge so good to know the options as I'm probably not too far away from techguyone so it could affect me soon.

techguyone 18-01-2023 18:14

My contract is up in Feb, I barely use TV, I might just take the opportunity to go Internet only, my mobile signal is crap but I use Wi-Fi Calling anyway, I might save a few quid.

Media Boy UK 18-01-2023 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36143869)
I just had this email:

I'm on modem mode, how am I supposed to connect my adaptor when only 1 port is usable (and it's connected to my mesh) or can I connect the adaptor to a spare ethernet port on another mesh unit? (is the adapter ethernet?)

More information at:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...h-p/Switchover