Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : More Rubbish From The Scammers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708888)

daveybm 30-03-2020 11:22

More Rubbish From The Scammers

Received this early this morning:-

Hello XXXXXXXXX@ntlworld.com
We would like to inform you that your package could not be automatically renewed.
The payment processor has detect invalid billing details associated with your account.
If you want to continue your package, you need to renew your package before it automatic disabled on: 1th April 2020.
To continue your package you need to sign in and update your billing details.
Sign in now

Once you have update your billing details, your bill will be processed in 3-5 business days and the automatic disabling will be removed.
Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team
Virgin media

Help

My Virgin Media
This email has been sent to the following address: xxxxxxxxx@ntlworld.com by Virgin Media.
For more information about us, or if you’d like to know more about how we treat your data please view our privacy policy using the links below:
Privacy | About Us
Legal Stuff applies. See virginmedia.com/legalstuff
Remember, Virgin Media will never ask you for personal information via email.
1CTokWRq6Fe38XF

Judging by the spelling and grammar it's obviously a scam, don't fall for it

RichardCoulter 30-03-2020 11:30

Re: More Rubbish From The Scammers

Could be because of the Virgin Media data breach.

pip08456 30-03-2020 11:55

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-phishing

nomadking 30-03-2020 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36029597)

The non-breach involved peoples names, so it would have said "hello [name]", not email address.

Nothing involved more than an email address, which could've been obtained from a number of other breaches.

Paul 30-03-2020 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36029597)

Almost zero chance given the wording.

These are simply mass sent to email lists, of which plenty exist.

jobbie8 30-03-2020 18:13

I was just thinking since India went into lockdown we haven't had any calls from scammers or survey centres. We had them daily.

Paul 30-03-2020 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36029678)
I was just thinking since India went into lockdown we haven't had any calls from scammers or survey centres. We had them daily.

Sad, but true, we havent had any for a few days either.

buckeye 31-03-2020 12:42

I've just received an automated call on my VM land line,
apparently my internet service will be cut off in 4 hours due to a router problem and I must press 1 to speak to my internet service provider.
I'm sure anyone capable of viewing these forums would not fall for such an obvious scam but I mention it because the voice on the recording is very similar to the woman's voice that VM use.
It might be worth warning anyone vulnerable you know who use VM services.

Hom3r 31-03-2020 13:46

My dad had a cold call saying they could stop cold calls for £10 pm, I went to him WTF, why did you give your card details.

He phoned his bank, luckily no money had been taken and his bank cancelled the card, and said that I was right.

The company phoned up saying that the card was rejected, my dad said we didn't need it as well are with TPS for free.

Arthurgray50@blu 31-03-2020 22:41

I work in emergency services. And scammers will be having a field day at the moment.

I urge anyone who gets phone calls - such as the one that goes click, when you pick up the phone. Put the phone straight down. You will be paying for that call.

I have said this before, but in the current circumstances. I work in safer neighbourhoods, and support the vulnerable. And they are being targeted on a daily basis.

Such as calling and offering virus testing kits - THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. ITS A SCAM

Stay safe out there members

Maggy 01-04-2020 09:17

I use an answerphone..the scammers give up right away.

heero_yuy 01-04-2020 09:41

Caller ID and an answerphone are definitely the way to go. My mobile will show the actual callers name if it's in the phone book file.

Otherwise if it's a real call centre there's a ~2 second silent timeout before a call centre operative picks up the call. That's the give away to put the phone straight down.

Stuart 02-04-2020 15:56

Sadly Caller ID isn't as secure as you'd think. From a technical point of view, it's relatively easy to fake it. OK, so I don't think faking called ID is legal, but what these guys are doing is often illegal anyway.

Paul 02-04-2020 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36030096)
OK, so I don't think faking called ID is legal

Its not illegal, many sms companies (like the one I use) provide the option.

gus0898uk 04-04-2020 19:25

I just got another spam email, I have had a number just lately, many to do with Bitcoin, I just junk them without opening them.

progers 07-04-2020 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 36029878)

I urge anyone who gets phone calls - such as the one that goes click, when you pick up the phone. Put the phone straight down. You will be paying for that call.

Not possible with the U.K. Telecomms Network Arthur, you can’t be charged for receiving a call

Carth 10-05-2020 21:37

Just had an Email from from this address:

Virgin Media <info@matizsae.com.py

Disconnection date: 12th May
Dear *correct name*@ntlworld.com,

We want to inform you that your Direct Debit payment failed, due to our payment processor detecting invalid account information.

Your service will be discconect on 12th May.

Just visit your My Virgin Media by clicking the button below, and fill in your most recent information to avoid interruption of your service.

Visit My Virgin Media

Should you need to get in contact with us either online or over the phone, you'll need these details:

account number: *wrong* area reference: *wrong*

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

Trying hard but the format and layout show noticeable differences when compared to genuine Emails ;)

. . . no buttons pressed :D :D

EDIT seems I'm not the only one . . . second post here is the same
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...20/m-p/4241723

Taf 12-05-2020 11:00

It was the "Amazon Prime" robot this morning asking for credit card details...

RichardCoulter 12-05-2020 14:24

Those whose details were made available to scammers because of the Virgin Media data breach need to take extra care because some of the details will be correct and may lull them into a false sense of security.

Paul 12-05-2020 14:40

You should always take care, there are data breaches everyday, the VM issue was a very small drop in the ocean.

tweetiepooh 14-05-2020 09:36

Yes - AMAZON PRIME - has returned, renewing my Prime at a fraction of the actual cost, then wife got call about £hundreds charge to our Visa card. We know that's not true and even if it was we don't get calls like that.

teddy63 19-05-2020 18:22

If you think you may have been part of a data breach you can use the HIBP data base search. https://www.fasterbroadband.co.uk/to...-breach-search

Taf 15-06-2020 20:54

Quote:

Your TV Licence will expire !!! You must renew it now, or additional fees will be applied.

We're sorry to let you know that the TV Licence could not be automatically renewed.

Something went wrong with your Direct Debit payment.

Start

Because you didn't keep up with your payments, you risk to become unlicensed.

You can update your licence quickly and easily at tvlicensing.co.uk/update-direct

Please take care of this straight away or we may be forced to pass your details to a debt collection agency.

Please keep this email safe, because it tells you how to access your licence online.
Please Set up a new Direct Debit now

Remember, you need to let us know if your personal information changes or switch to another bank.

Paul 15-06-2020 22:11

I got one of those the other week, with a link to a linode server, I passed it onto their abuse department.

Taf 28-06-2020 12:30

1 Attachment(s)
This just opened on my browser....

https://eu.retailandtradeshow.x y z/...06281126353720

I have spaced out the suffix to make it break the link.

daveybm 28-06-2020 13:05

Over the past couple of days I've had :-
One supposedly from Morrisons
One supposedly from Aldi
One supposedly from Argos
none of whom have my email address, all the same format, " click on this link to confirm your email address to claim £500" yes straight in the bin you go!

denphone 28-06-2020 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36041522)

Yeah l had one of these early this morning Taf.

Taf 28-06-2020 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36041531)
Yeah l had one of these early this morning Taf.

I wonder how they did it? :dunce:

denphone 28-06-2020 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36041535)
I wonder how they did it? :dunce:

l am no expert taf but as soon as l saw it l was suspicious.

Taf 28-06-2020 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36041536)
l am no expert taf but as soon as l saw it l was suspicious.

Me too, VM are not known for their overt generosity towards long-term customers. :(

pip08456 28-06-2020 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36041522)

Just had someone on the EE forum with the same. Looks likee EE & VM share the same anniversary!:D:D:D

spiderplant 28-06-2020 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveybm (Post 36041530)
Over the past couple of days I've had :-
One supposedly from Morrisons
One supposedly from Aldi
One supposedly from Argos
none of whom have my email address, all the same format, " click on this link to confirm your email address to claim £500" yes straight in the bin you go!

My mum used to get some of those every day. I ended up having to set her up with a new email address.

Carth 06-07-2021 13:58

Wife just had an automated call . . . from 07675431026 . . telling her that her National Insurance number has been compromised :rolleyes:

Is there no end to this madness?

Due to the nature of her work, sometimes it's a little difficult not to answer calls from an unknown number, thankfully she's got her head screwed on though.

RichardCoulter 06-07-2021 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36085432)
Wife just had an automated call . . . from 07675431026 . . telling her that her National Insurance number has been compromised :rolleyes:

Is there no end to this madness?

Due to the nature of her work, sometimes it's a little difficult not to answer calls from an unknown number, thankfully she's got her head screwed on though.

Trouble is, they are now so clever at doing it that even some experts on scamming have been caught out.

I worry most for vulnerable people who may be more easily pulled into it

Carth 06-07-2021 14:28

Sadly there will always be people caught out by scammers.

The vulnerable are definitely in need of better protection (somehow), but there are also those caught out by their stupidity (and greed) and fail to see the thorns on the rose offered.

Taf 27-11-2021 13:29

6 calls so far this week from "your internet provider technical department". All South Asian with a lot of chatter in the background. This morning it was at 7:50!!

Sirius 27-11-2021 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36102897)
6 calls so far this week from "your internet provider technical department". All South Asian with a lot of chatter in the background. This morning it was at 7:50!!

Indeed i had one at 7:30, i managed to keep her entertained for 10 mins before she hung up :)

That was 10mins she was not able to scam someone else.

Carth 27-11-2021 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 36103216)
Indeed i had one at 7:30, i managed to keep her entertained for 10 mins before she hung up :)

:tu: nice

You have to make your own entertainment sometimes :D

punkrock101 27-11-2021 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 36103216)

I had one scam call myself about 7:35 the other morning also from the technical department at BT Openreach call was swiftly hung up on wouldn’t even speak with them. Activated the call blocking feature on my phone again.

Jaymoss 27-11-2021 22:41

My phone is on DND till 8am with only my ICE allowed to pass it

Sephiroth 28-11-2021 10:08

Quote:

'Ere, Taf: How do you know they weren't calling from Neasden?

Itshim 28-11-2021 15:16

Quote:

And you are in Whitchurch , surprised you get anything . Local web pages report no end of problems with all virgin media services since it's been upgraded :confused: l have lost count of the number of outrages l have had since it was done . Last I called the bot even noted that I had called a number of times :rolleyes: really finding virgin is getting worse by the day. What do they really think they have done. Service was rock solid before they " fixed" it :shocked:

Taf 28-11-2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36103325)
And you are in Whitchurch

I'm over by Tesco Extra, in the cul-de-sac area.

Itshim 28-11-2021 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36103343)
I'm over by Tesco Extra, in the cul-de-sac area.

More gabalfa then ;) how is it with you . Around heol don area it's more down than up these days.