Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Oscar nominations 2022 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710801)

General Maximus 04-02-2022 23:19

Oscar nominations 2022

The ballots are out and the nominations are going to be announced this Tuesday (8th February) just after 13:00 UK time. You can watch live on youtube and I will post a list once they are announced and we speculate on who we think should win and what our favourites are.

Here are the nominees for this year's Academy Awards. What do you think and who would you like to see win?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter)
Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)
Judi Dench (Belfast)
Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog)
Aunjanue Ellis (King Richard)

Best Costume Design
Cruella (Jenny Beavan)
Cyrano (Massimo Cantini Parrini)
Dune (Jacqueline West)
Nightmare Alley (Luis Sequeira)
West Side Story (Paul Tazewell)

BEST SOUND
Belfast
Dune
No Time to Die
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Don’t Look Up (Nicholas Britell)
Dune (Hans Zimmer)
Encanto (Germaine Franco)
Parallel Mothers (Alberto Iglesias)
The Power of the Dog (Jonny Greenwood)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
CODA (Sian Heder)
Drive My Car (Ryusuke Hamaguchi & Takamasa Oe)
Dune (Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts & Denis Villeneuve)
The Lost Daughter (Maggie Gyllenhaal)
The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Belfast (Kenneth Branagh)
Don’t Look Up (Adam McKay & David Sirota)
Licorice Pizza (Paul Thomas Anderson)
King Richard
The Worst Person in the World

BEST ANIMATED SHORT
Affairs of the Art
Bestia
Boxballet
Robin Robin
The Windshield Wiper

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT
Ala Kachuu — Take and Run
The Dress
The Long Goodbye
On My Mind
Please Hold

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ciarán Hinds (Belfast)
Troy Kotsur (CODA)
Jesse Plemons (The Power of the Dog)
J.K. Simmons (Being the Ricardos)
Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Power of the Dog)

BEST FILM EDITING
Don’t Look Up (Hank Corwin)
Dune (Joe Walker)
King Richard (Pamela Martin)
The Power of the Dog (Peter Sciberras)
Tick, Tick… Boom! (Myron Kerstein & Andrew Weisblum)

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
House of Gucci
Coming 2 America
Cruella
Dune

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. The Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Ascension
Attica
Flee
Summer of Soul
Writing With Fire

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Audible
Lead Me Home
The Queen of Basketball
Three Songs for Benazir
When We Were Bullies

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Be Alive” — Beyoncé Knowles-Carter & Darius Scott (King Richard)
“Dos Oruguitas” — Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)
“Down to Joy” — Van Morrison (Belfast)
“No Time to Die” — Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell (No Time to Die)
“Somehow You Do” — Diane Warren (Four Good Days)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dune (Greig Fraser)
Nightmare Alley (Dan Lausten)
The Power of the Dog (Ari Wegner)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bruno Delbonnel)
West Side Story (Janusz Kaminski)

BEST FILM EDITING
Don’t Look Up (Hank Corwin)
Dune (Joe Walker)
King Richard (Pamela Martin)
Tick, Tick… Boom! (Myron Kerstein & Andrew Weisblum)
The Power of the Dog (Peter Sciberras)

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE
Drive My Car (Japan)
Flee (Denmark)
The Hand of God (Italy)
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (Bhutan)
The Worst Person in the World (Norway)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Dune (Zsuzsanna Sipos & Patrice Vermette)
Nightmare Alley (Tamara Deverell & Shane Vieau)
The Power of the Dog (Grant Major & Amber Richards)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Stefan Dechant & Nancy Haigh)
West Side Story (Rena DeAngelo & Adam Stockhausen)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Dune
Free Guy
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
No Time to Die
Spider-Man: No Way Home

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter)
Penélope Cruz (Parallel Mothers)
Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos)
Kristen Stewart (Spencer)

BEST ACTOR
Javier Bardem (Being the Ricardos)
Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog)
Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!)
Will Smith (King Richard)
Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

BEST DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson (Licorice Pizza)
Kenneth Branagh (Belfast)
Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)
Steven Spielberg (West Side Story)
Drive My Car (Ryûsuke Hamaguchi)

BEST PICTURE
Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

Paul 05-02-2022 00:18

Re: Oscar nominations 2022

No doubt all the usual boring [arty farty] stuff, and very little of what I watch. :erm:

Carth 05-02-2022 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36112440)
No doubt all the usual boring [arty farty] stuff, and very little of what I watch. :erm:

Same here, as with all these 'award' events I've probably never heard of 90% of the people nominated :dozey:

General Maximus 05-02-2022 13:23

I agree and there are some films like Nomadland I find infuriating. There is always an exception every year though which makes it worth while such as Parasite and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

Forget predicting the winners, people are even predicting which films are going to be nominated now. I have had a brief glance and haven't heard of most of them apart from a few of the major blockbusters like Dune. I keep an open mind though and am willing to give everything a chance and wait to be pleasantly surprised.

Damien 05-02-2022 22:51

Still going to be an odd year this year because of the pandemic. Dune has to be sure of a place in the list for Best Picture and probably Licorice Pizza and Belfast as well. They're the only ones so far that seem to be constantly mentioned as being in the running and are all on the BAFTA list as well.

General Maximus 05-02-2022 23:20

I know i havent seen any of the potential nominees apart from Dune atm but Dune was so epic that i can confidently say now that I would happily see Dune sweep the board. Not only was it a superb scifi film, it is an artistic masterpiece.

General Maximus 08-02-2022 13:52

I have just updated the main post with the full list of nominations. Below is the list of films I am going to watch which cover the main award catergories:

Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story
The Tragedy of Macbeth
The Lost Daughter
Being the Ricardos
Parallel Mothers
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Spencer
Tick Tick Boom

I am glad to see Free Guy getting a nod in the visual effects category as it was my favourite film last year. I think Dune should win it hands down though.

Everyone should note that all the films on that list apart from 3 are "available" as they have been released on a streaming service such as Netflix or Amazon.

Chris 08-02-2022 14:09

So we’re not talking about Encanto then?

General Maximus 08-02-2022 14:13

I haven't seen Flee or Mitchels vs the Machines but out of the films nominated for best animated feature i would really like Luca to win. Encanto was good but didnt blow me away.

Chris 08-02-2022 14:18

I have to admit I just didn’t get it, but Miranda obviously has some sort of magical connection with the kidz because my daughters are singing it constantly. Plus it has three noms, for song (though the wrong choice for submission by Disney IMO), score and feature animation.

I agree, Luca is the superior film, though I still have a slightly anarchic streak in me that would like to see The Mitchells v The Machines get a gong :D

Hugh 08-02-2022 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36112819)
So we’re not talking about Encanto then?

Bru-no-no-no…

Chris 08-02-2022 16:12

It’s an earworm and a million times more infectious than covid in our house :disturbd:

Hugh 08-02-2022 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36112831)
It’s an earworm and a million times more infectious than covid in our house :disturbd:

I really liked "Surface Pressure"…

Paul 08-02-2022 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36112440)

I was right, Dune is the only one I've seen, the rest ... :sleep: :zzz:

Stephen 09-02-2022 19:19

I heard of most of the films nominated but haven't seen many of them.

Paul 09-02-2022 19:40

Going through all films, in all the lists, Ive heard of about 10 of them (inc Dune).

In GMs list, I've heard of just four of them.

The only category remotely close to my kind of films was the Visual Effects.

Quote:

Dune
Free Guy << Dont know this one
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
No Time to Die
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Oscars are (to me) a complete waste of time.
They do not represent the majority of film audiences.

This is the the box office top 20 [for 2021].

Quote:

1 Spider-Man: No Way Home
2 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
3 Venom: Let There Be Carnage
4 Black Widow
5 F9: The Fast Saga
6 Eternals
7 No Time to Die
8 A Quiet Place Part II
9 Ghostbusters: Afterlife
10 Free Guy
11 Jungle Cruise
12 Godzilla vs. Kong
13 Dune
14 Halloween Kills
15 Encanto
16 Cruella
17 Sing 2
18 Space Jam: A New Legacy
19 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
20 Candyman
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2021/

General Maximus 09-02-2022 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36112980)
This is the the box office top 20 [for 2021]]

US box office, not global. The US box office is not a true reflection of a films performance globally because the % share of revenue varies by film and if for example a film grosses $250m in the US but only has a 25% share, it means it is doing $1bn globally and will one of the highest grossing films which isn't reflected in your chart. No Time To Die is a good example of this.

Paul 10-02-2022 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36112987)
US box office, not global.

You completely missed the point. ;)

But sure, the oscars are not US biased at all, and people outside the US dont watch the same films. :erm:

General Maximus 15-02-2022 18:18

Good news for Paul. For the first time this year they are going to have an award for the fan voted favourite and it can be any film and not one that has already been nominated so keep your fingers crossed for Spiderman and Free Guy etc.

You can vote via Twitter or the Oscars website from now until 3rd March.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...an-1235181361/

Paul 16-02-2022 01:13

Except .....
You cannot get on the website :rolleyes:

Quote:

SORRY!
THIS EXPERIENCE IS NOT AVAILABLE
IN YOUR AREA.

General Maximus 16-02-2022 08:08

Balls. I haven't had a look at it yet. I hope they get some very strong feedback over that because they like to make a big deal at the beginning of every ceremony that it is being broadcast to over 100 countries around the world and over 1bn people are watching bla bla bla. Voting over the internet is a no brainer for global engagement and inclusivity. I wonder if it works on Twitter (I dont use it).

Paul 16-02-2022 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36113503)
I wonder if it works on Twitter (I dont use it).

No idea, I dont use it either.

Damien 16-02-2022 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36113440)
Good news for Paul. For the first time this year they are going to have an award for the fan voted favourite and it can be any film and not one that has already been nominated so keep your fingers crossed for Spiderman and Free Guy etc.

You can vote via Twitter or the Oscars website from now until 3rd March.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...an-1235181361/

I don't think that's an actual Oscar, is it? Seems like it's just going to be part of the show that they'll name the 'fan favorite' and the 'best moment'.

General Maximus 16-02-2022 22:43

That's a shame. It needs to be worth something and not a token gesture. Already films like Belfast have had their advertising changed to read something like "nominated for 5 Academy Awards......"

I imagine the favourite is going to receive a few million votes which is far more than the academy membership so if a film wins "best film" as voted for by so many peeps then in imho it should at the very least win an Oscar. I would like to say that level of attainment and prestige makes it stand above the other categories but there is an arguement to be made about the Academy membership and professionals assessing the technical accomplishments so i am will to say each category has its own merits and neither are more deserving than the other. The fan favourite should definitely have an Oscar.

Damien 17-02-2022 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36113599)
That's a shame. It needs to be worth something and not a token gesture. Already films like Belfast have had their advertising changed to read something like "nominated for 5 Academy Awards......"

I imagine the favourite is going to receive a few million votes which is far more than the academy membership so if a film wins "best film" as voted for by so many peeps then in imho it should at the very least win an Oscar. I would like to say that level of attainment and prestige makes it stand above the other categories but there is an arguement to be made about the Academy membership and professionals assessing the technical accomplishments so i am will to say each category has its own merits and neither are more deserving than the other. The fan favourite should definitely have an Oscar.

Belfast being able to market itself via the Oscars is one of the points of the Oscars I think. To promote films that might get missed because they're not an established franchise and don't have a large marketing budget. Spiderman doesn't need the exposure the Oscars bring.

There are a lot of issues around the Academy Membership but I am not sure I would expand the voting to the public. It would bias the awards to the films with the best marketing and widest distribution and deny smaller budget films a big platform. The likes of Belfast/Parasite will get pushed out in favour of what Marvel fans think the best Marvel film was this year. Although a single Oscar doesn't have that problem.

Maybe a selection of film critics should be included in the vote. You need people that have seen a lot of films, and a wide selection of films, over the last year really.

Hugh 17-02-2022 13:57

Interesting (imho) explanation of how the nomination &voting system works.

https://variety.com/feature/who-vote...ks-1203490944/

General Maximus 18-02-2022 14:32

In case anyone was wondering:

Quote:

This year’s Academy Awards will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for most — but not all — inside the Dolby Theater, Variety has confirmed.

As the New York Times first reported, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences determined on Thursday that all nominees and invited guests must show proof of vaccination and test negative at least twice via PCR testing. Those performing and presenting at the awards ceremony, on the other hand, will not need to show proof of vaccination, but will be tested rigorously.

This marks a clarification of the Academy’s COVID-19 policy, as it was reported on Feb. 9 that the Oscars would not require attendees to provide proof of vaccination. According to a source close to the situation, the decision to not require proof of vaccination for presenters and performers falls under the COVID-19 return-to-work agreement between the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers and unions. The agreement gives production companies the option to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for Zone A — the production’s cast and the crew working closest with the actors — but it is not a requirement.

This year’s Oscars ceremony will invite 2,500 nominees and guests to the Dolby Theater, which typically seats over 3,300 people. According to the Times, guests and nominees seated in the orchestra and parterre sections of the theater will not be required to wear face masks. However, those seated in the mezzanine may face a mask requirement as they will be more tightly situated.

I am glad they are going down this route because it would have been silly for the celebs to go through all the effort of their appearance clothing and makeup and some looking stunning only to have to wear a mask all the time.

General Maximus 24-02-2022 11:40

Quote:

The Academy’s plan unveiled Tuesday to cut Best Editing and seven other categories from this year’s live Oscar telecast to resuscitate viewership has received reactions of shock, disappointment, and outrage.

Falling double digits from the previous low, last year’s Oscars drew a measly audience of 10.4 million and a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 for its April 25, 2021 primetime airing.

The plan is to record the presentation of some select categories immediately before the start of the live broadcast in front of a full audience at the Dolby Theatre. They then would be edited and ideally rolled seamlessly into the main show.

The affected categories are Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Production Design, Sound, Documentary Short, Animated Short and Live Action Short.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/oscars-...ns-1234958682/

I feel really sorry for the people in the nominated categories. I know the majority of films nominated aren't blockbusters so you can say my following argument is mute however when it comes to huge successful films the only reason they are so successful is because every aspect of the production is at the top of its game. When we think of Game of Thrones we think of the story, the action and the characters but what would it be without music, costume & makeup and set design?

I for one am going to miss seeing the composers recognised for best original score. Apart from Dune and West Side Story I haven't watched any of the nominated films yet but just think of the awesome music and movie themes (e.g. John Williams, Alan Silvestri and Hans Zimmer) we have heard of the years and the impact they made on the films they featured in. I think it is a damn shame for those people not to get their share of the limelight.

Imho trying to streamline the ceremony isn't the answer. The people who watch it watch it for what it represents and duration is irrelevant. The problem they have every year and where the majority of the criticism always lies is with the hosts. Bring back Billy Crystal and viewership will skyrocket.

Damien 24-02-2022 12:43

Removing editing is so stupid, it's a core aspect of what makes a film a film as opposed to a play.

Paul 24-02-2022 19:05

So, if Im reading that right, they will still be showing them, just edited ?

General Maximus 24-02-2022 19:47

yup, they reckon they are going to film the award just before the televised ceremony starts but it won't be the same. Either nobody will be there audience wise or people will be in the process of being seated and it just isn't the same. You are being recognised and acknowledged as being a leader in your field of expertise and after all that work and effort you went to for the film, the effort you went to fly to and attend the ceremony, get excited and dress up and you are very much an after thought who is being rushed on and off stage as fast as possible. It is a slap in the face. If they can't present the awards with equal merit and provide them with the respect they deserve then they should just remove them altogether.

Paul 24-02-2022 20:00

They could cancel the whole thing for me.

General Maximus 16-03-2022 10:59

I have watched all the films nominated for the major categories and below is the list of peeps I would like to see win. I must say this year's selection was very much a mixed bag. There were some films I was surprised with and were very entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed such as CODA and there were other films which I thought were a complete snooze fest, couldn't understand why anyone would watch them and was just constantly looking at the clock throughout.

The problem I have got this year for the first time is that I am really struggling with the acting categories. I have always looked at them and thought "Fred and Joe don't deserve to be nominated" but it hasn't been a problem because I have always had an obvious and clear choice to choose from but this year I look at the nominees and nobody has blown me away. To make it worse the one person who I would like to win, Emilia Jones from CODA, isn't even flipping nominated. The same goes for Denis Villeneuve as best director. Wtf!

My preference in most of the categories is Dune and it isn't because it is a mainstream film, was one of my favourite films last year or a blockbuster. Having watched all the nominated films I genuinely believe that Dune was the higher achiever and was far superior in the categories it was nominated in. As an example, it is laughable that The Tragedy of Macbeth is sitting next to Dune for Production Design. The one category I am struggling with is Visual Effects because all the nominees, in comparison to every other category, are worthy contenders and I would happily see them win. Once again though when you consider on balance the range of effects shots and variety used in the film, Dune was the clear standout for me.

What do you think?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter)

Best Costume Design
Dune (Jacqueline West)

BEST SOUND
Dune

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Dune (Hans Zimmer)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Dune (Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts & Denis Villeneuve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Don’t Look Up (Adam McKay & David Sirota)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Troy Kotsur (CODA)

BEST FILM EDITING
Dune (Joe Walker)

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
The Eyes of Tammy Faye

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Luca

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Dos Oruguitas” — Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dune (Greig Fraser)

BEST FILM EDITING
Dune (Joe Walker)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Dune (Zsuzsanna Sipos & Patrice Vermette)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Dune

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)

BEST ACTOR
Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!)

BEST DIRECTOR
Steven Spielberg (West Side Story)

BEST PICTURE
Dune (it's not going to win so CODA is my runner up)

General Maximus 28-03-2022 04:50

Well I can't complain. I didn't like the look and feel to the ceremony but I think this is the best year for winners for me. Nearly every category went in the direction I wanted it to which is a first. I am thrilled that Dune won so many categories. Let's hope they are saving Best Picture and Best Director for Dune 2.

Kudos to Will Smith :clap:

Damien 28-03-2022 06:57

AppleTV+ becoming the first streaming service to have a Best Picture winner almost by accident after Netflix has intentionally tried so hard for years - i.e the Irishman - is pretty funny.

heero_yuy 28-03-2022 08:07

And the award for the best live action punch goes to Will Smith.:D

General Maximus 28-03-2022 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117613)
AppleTV+ becoming the first streaming service to have a Best Picture winner almost by accident after Netflix has intentionally tried so hard for years - i.e the Irishman - is pretty funny.

That's because CODA was genuinely a well balanced good film. The Irishman was way too long and boring.

Damien 28-03-2022 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117618)
That's because CODA was genuinely a well balanced good film. The Irishman was way too long and boring.

Yup, and it wasn't created to be 'Best Picture'. Just a decent film that Apple saw and got the rights to.

Whereas Netflix spent ages trying to work out the best formula to win it and going after big names with big budgets.

Chris 28-03-2022 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117619)
Yup, and it wasn't created to be 'Best Picture'. Just a decent film that Apple saw and got the rights to.

Whereas Netflix spent ages trying to work out the best formula to win it and going after big names with big budgets.

OTOH whether or not they win an Oscar, the fact that they aspire to be in that tier means Netflix’s TV movies are a cut above what you expect for the type.

Damien 28-03-2022 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36117621)
OTOH whether or not they win an Oscar, the fact that they aspire to be in that tier means Netflix’s TV movies are a cut above what you expect for the type.

I've heard it described as HBO want to become Netflix and Apple want to become HBO.

They've made very good commissioning decisions so far. CODA isn't actually an 'Apple film' as they purchased the rights to it at Sundance (i.e it was already made and sold to them as a finished product) but that others passed in their hunt for Oscar-bait films is a good reflection on whoever Apple pays to make these decisions.

General Maximus 28-03-2022 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117622)
good reflection on whoever Apple pays to make these decisions.

yup, Apple seem to have a very unique eye or vision for tv, very analogous to what HBO used to be. Everything Apple make or stream exudes quality and is a cut above the rest. CODA is the first film of theirs I have seen (I know they didn't make it) but you look at series like For All Mankind, See and Foundation and they are just superb. You come away from them with the impression that every single person involved is 110% invested it, it is more than just a job to them, they want it to be perfect and anything less than that isn't good enough.

Damien 28-03-2022 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117634)
yup, Apple seem to have a very unique eye or vision for tv, very analogous to what HBO used to be. Everything Apple make or stream exudes quality and is a cut above the rest. CODA is the first film of theirs I have seen (I know they didn't make it) but you look at series like For All Mankind, See and Foundation and they are just superb. You come away from them with the impression that every single person involved is 110% invested it, it is more than just a job to them, they want it to be perfect and anything less than that isn't good enough.

Watch Wolfwalkers if you can, excellent film. IMO The best thing on AppleTV+

Chris 28-03-2022 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117634)

Agreed. They aren’t interested in making filler so far as I’ve seen to date. Not all of it is to my taste but it’s clearly all very carefully made. Plus, they’re committed to multi-national talent, so we’re treated to the excellent work of film makers and actors from all over the world, who we might not otherwise have got to know. They also seem to trust the people they commission. The likes of Ted Lasso, for example, could have been a train wreck if those in California doing the commissioning had decided they knew best. But they have clearly allowed their American star to be cast adrift in a British sit-com world, rather than an American parody of one.

(And, though we only watched the first ep for nostaligia’s sake, their re-boot of Fraggle Rock is superb. Lovingly and respectfully done, making good use of advances in TV making without changing stuff just because they could).

Damien 28-03-2022 14:49

I wish they would knock off the use of Apple products in shows set in contemporary times though. It's very distracting on Ted Lasso when everyone seems to be using a Mac and iPhone with the logo well displayed.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36117638)
Agreed. They aren’t interested in making filler so far as I’ve seen to date.

I wonder how much of this is simply the path they are forced to take with no back catalogue to draw from and Netflix/Amazon already having purchased rights in bulk and how much is how they perceive their brand. Making AppleTV+ a place for the stuff you actively want to seek out and watch rather than a place to go to throw something on when you're bored.

General Maximus 28-03-2022 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117636)
Watch Wolfwalkers

I'll take your word for it and try and watch it this week. Probably Thursday. I am going to break my garden rule; the only animated stuff I have ever watched (and will watch) is Disney and Pixar. The two exceptions to that are the Clone Wars and Avatar: The Last Airbender. This experience is either going to reinforce and solidify that position or encourage me to be more flexible in the future.

Damien 28-03-2022 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117646)
I'll take your word for it and try and watch it this week. Probably Thursday. I am going to break my garden rule; the only animated stuff I have ever watched (and will watch) is Disney and Pixar. The two exceptions to that are the Clone Wars and Avatar: The Last Airbender. This experience is either going to reinforce and solidify that position or encourage me to be more flexible in the future.

Let me know what you think. If you like it you can add another studio to your exception list because Cartoon Saloon are really good.

General Maximus 28-03-2022 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117651)
If you like it you can add another studio to your exception list because Cartoon Saloon are really good.

tbh if I like it it won't be because of the animation. I can tell you from watching the trailer that I hate this style of animation and it is the reason why I have my Disney/Pixar only rule. If I like it it will be purely for the story and emotions evoked.

Paul 28-03-2022 23:07

I have no idea who won what, all the news Ive seen about it today is about Will Smith hitting someone. :erm:

General Maximus 28-03-2022 23:14

I would say for the first time ever, with the exception of directing, the right people won in each category. I am befuddled, bemused and flabergasted as to why Denis Villeneuve wasnt even nominated for directing. Dune is his baby and wouldnt be what it is (and received the awards in the other categories) if it wasnt for him.

Chris 29-03-2022 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117670)
I would say for the first time ever, with the exception of directing, the right people won in each category. I am befuddled, bemused and flabergasted as to why Denis Villeneuve wasnt even nominated for directing. Dune is his baby and wouldnt be what it is (and received the awards in the other categories) if it wasnt for him.

It’s not unheard of, when the story is expected to be completed in a sequel, for them to reserve judgment until then. Peter Jackson, for example, only got the director gong for LotR:RotK, despite the fact that the three films, much more so than almost any other series, are really one project and in reality you can’t separate them in their achievements across multiple categories. He was nominated for Fellowship but didn’t even get a nod for Two Towers.

General Maximus 29-03-2022 12:44

Yeah. I watched each of those ceremonies i can remember rotk sweeping the board. I was a long time coming and truly deserved.

General Maximus 01-04-2022 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36117651)
Let me know what you think.

A lovely film and it definitely had that special feeling to it. The thing which took the edge off it for me though is the animation. It isn't bad but I just don't like that style of animation, it reminds me of early Disney stuff and things have moved on since then. The only reason to use it now is for arty farty sake and isn't my cup of tea. A another good example for Apple to have in their catalogue though.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 12:47

Okay so here is an interesting one. If you didn't watch the Oscars there were two fan nominated awards, one for most memorable moment in film and another for best film. The winner for both left me genuinely speechless and confused, especially for most cheered moment because I can't even remember seeing it, that is how memorable it is. If you want a refresher here are the nominees:

You would have thought Avengers would have won by a mile. Not only is it simply better but also far more popular than DC in general and especially Justice League. It was too much of a coincidence that Zack Snyder films won both awards. Now we know why:

Quote:

Looks like the most controversial Oscar night in history just got a little more controversial. TheWrap has learned that the Academy’s “Fan Favorite” and “Cheer Moment” awards — the Twitter polls allowing regular folks at home to vote online in the weeks ahead of the March 27 ceremony for their own Best Picture choice as well as their favorite movie moment of all time — appear to have been rigged by automated online bot accounts backing the work of “Justice League” filmmaker Zack Snyder. Two reports from Tweetbinder, a hashtag analytics tracking tool, reveal that the most active contributors to both polls were autonomous web programs that cast thousands of fake votes for Snyder’s 2021 zombie heist film “Army of the Dead” (which ultimately won “Fan Favorite”) as well as the so-called “Snyder cut” of “Justice League,” the director’s re-edit of his 2017 DC Comics superhero flop (which won “Cheer Moment”).
https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63626335/

Stephen 13-05-2022 14:08

Considering how many people campaigned to get the Snyder Cut made and released I am not surprised. It made a pretty awful film much more coherent and very very good.

Army of the Dead was a good watch.

Damien 13-05-2022 17:18

That’s why you don’t do anything based on online Twitter polls