Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709692)

BenMcr 13-01-2021 09:44

Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Virgin are in the process of launching improved WiFi Pods to help customers with coverage along with a further update to the Hub WiFi management

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...gent-wifi-plus
Quote:

Virgin Media has today announced a new game-changing WiFi service that will give millions of customers the UK’s fastest widely available broadband speeds in more areas of their home.

Intelligent WiFi Plus from Virgin Media combines a suite of new, automatically deployed features on its Hub 3 and Hub 4 routers with brand new Intelligent WiFi Pods that help to extend WiFi reach and speeds throughout the home.
These are Plume pods that integrate with the Hub in router mode. You'll just need to plug them in

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/set...lligentwifipod

Hugh 13-01-2021 10:06

Re: Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Is this a chargeable extra, Ben?

(irrelevant to me at the moment, as I use Google Mesh for wifi in our home).

BenMcr 13-01-2021 10:19

That's in the press release ;)

Quote:

Intelligent WiFi Plus is available now at no extra cost for Ultimate Oomph and Gig1 customers with other Virgin Media customers able to upgrade to the new service for just £5 per month. Customers will be able to request the new service by calling customer care and most Hub 3 customers can order via the Connect App.

RobboEdin 13-01-2021 10:45

It’s important to understand that the Hub 3.0 or Hub4 has to be in Router Mode with a single SSID covering both WiFi bands and Channel Optimisation enabled.
The single SSID from the Hub also broadcasts from each WiFi Pod.

roughbeast 13-01-2021 11:37

No use to me unless it has an ethernet port to connect to by cable network.

Inactive Digital 13-01-2021 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36066487)
It’s important to understand that the Hub 3.0 or Hub4 has to be in Router Mode with a single SSID covering both WiFi bands and Channel Optimisation enabled.
The single SSID from the Hub also broadcasts from each WiFi Pod.

Does the part of intelligent WiFi that doesn't require the plume pods also need both WiFi bands to be using a single SSID? I was told by the technician who installed my hub 3 a few years back to relabel them due to some issue at the time.

RobboEdin 13-01-2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36066509)
Does the part of intelligent WiFi that doesn't require the plume pods also need both WiFi bands to be using a single SSID? I was told by the technician who installed my hub 3 a few years back to relabel them due to some issue at the time.

Without the WiFi Pods, you can enable the Channel Optimisation with separate SSIDs for the WiFi bands.

Hugh 13-01-2021 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36066479)
That's in the press release ;)

Thanks - I had clicked on the bottom link.

Doh!

Inactive Digital 13-01-2021 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36066511)
Without the WiFi Pods, you can enable the Channel Optimisation with separate SSIDs for the WiFi bands.

weesteev 13-01-2021 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 36066496)
No use to me unless it has an ethernet port to connect to by cable network.

Both the Plume pods have ethernet I believe, the basic pod has a single GigE and the power pod has dual GigE.

Jaymoss 14-01-2021 01:25

CNET run some tests on Plume Pods and they were not that enamored. Will stick with my TP Link Mesh system :)

Tricky Trevor 14-01-2021 08:17

When does it go live as when I try to order it says they are not ready yet?

Tazz 14-01-2021 19:16

I tried to order them and customer service put me through to faults and faults said it was an area issue causing Wi-Fi blackspots when I called him out that being rubbish he said I need to talk to customer services again so I hung up... waste of time waiting on hold for over an hour...

david_w2k 14-01-2021 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36066600)
CNET run some tests on Plume Pods and they were not that enamored. Will stick with my TP Link Mesh system :)

Interesting. Was wondering if they would replace my Orbi mesh in future but I’ll stick with it as get good performance. Another issue with them (which is why I moved from Google WiFi too) is you can’t manually select channels given their automatic nature. I found with Gwifi it kept selecting the same channel as my Sonos network and causing that to drop out.

Missing out on something for free being on the Oomph package though sadly lol:-(

ASMO 14-01-2021 22:56

Customers will be able to request the new service by calling customer care and most Hub 3 customers can order via the Connect App.

i cant see this on the app? any ideas

pav4n 14-01-2021 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASMO (Post 36066699)
Customers will be able to request the new service by calling customer care and most Hub 3 customers can order via the Connect App.

On the connect app go to broadband and connect to wifi, tap the menu option in the top right and choose "Scan for WiFi blackspots".

This will then take you through a whole process of going room to room and checking wifi signal however it has no idea where you actually are so just walk to the lowest signal point (or down the road) and scan, at first it will try to "optimise" your wifi which probably means change channel and then it should offer a booster when that doesn't work. It only offered me one, the terms and conditions say a 2nd will only be sent following assessment by a virgin media agent inside the account address whatever that means and a 3rd will only be installed by a technician after a review of your network setup.

FYI to anyone trying this, I just went through this process and I am on a discounted Ultimate Oomph package and it explicitly stated it was free for Ultimate Oomph customers and that there would be no changes to my contract but on the final confirmation page it tried to add £5 to my monthly charge!!

I will try to phone them tomorrow as it can't hurt to try for free. According to the Plume site below it supports an ethernet backhaul which I will use so speeds should be reasonable.

https://support.plume.com/hc/en-gb/a...i-performance-

Tricky Trevor 15-01-2021 10:35

This is what I'm getting when I try to order

Sorry Unfortunately this offer isn’t available to you at the moment, but keep checking back as it will be soon.

007stuart 15-01-2021 12:50

My Eero mesh gives gives me flawless coverage throughout my home and garden, coupled with a simple app, it's hard to beat.

Tazz 16-01-2021 20:20

Managed to order the Intelligent Wi-Fi Plus service with my Gig one FOC on Friday after talking to 5 people. Come on Tuesday had to talk to customer care to get them ordered then Tech support was crazy.

General Maximus 16-01-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASMO (Post 36066699)

yeah, don't bother. VM keep trying to release new apps, shubs and other bits of tech to try give the impression they are being innovative and keeping up with technology and every time everyone jumps on the bandwagon, gets it and then moans it doesn't work and VM support are useless etc etc. When will you all learn your lesson. Freebies are great but if it causes you a load of hassle why bother? If you are all so concerned about your wifi performance that much then buy a proper router and/or proper wireless access points. If not then you are doomed to VM performance standards for eternity.

copernob 24-01-2021 22:52

They can KEEP them. We pay more than enough without paying a further £5..Going up £3:50p again in March.

Tricky Trevor 24-01-2021 23:04

Someone posted on the Virgin Community Forum that the pods are out of stock until March.

General Maximus 24-01-2021 23:42

ahhhhh, what shame.

007stuart 25-01-2021 18:46

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 36066741)
My eero mesh gives gives me flawless coverage throughout my home and garden, coupled with a simple app, it's hard to beat.

I thought I would run a speedtest on my laptop connecting on 5ghz channel on eero, when I was using Hub 3 I was lucky to see 70 down and 10 up.

BTW my eero hub is upstairs next to Hub 3 and I'm downstairs. As you may have guessed I'm on 200/20 tier.

Tricky Trevor 04-02-2021 10:32

While having to wait for new hubs to come in, I now have to register my interest so they will contact me when they have any.

joglynne 05-02-2021 18:03

I have just recieved an invitation to trial the new Intelligent WiFi Pods though the VM community forum. Not sure if there is any point in my doing so as I can access my wifi from everywhere I need within my house. If I do the trial I get to keep them afterwards
Quote:

Pods can help improve wifi performance around the home. There are no charges or contract changes for participating in the trial, and you'll be able to keep your pod, should you choose, after the trial.

pip08456 05-02-2021 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36069556)
I have just recieved an invitation to trial the new Intelligent WiFi Pods though the VM community forum. Not sure if there is any point in my doing so as I can access my wifi from everywhere I need within my house. If I do the trial I get to keep them afterwards

So have I.

qwakuk 06-02-2021 11:21

Add me to the list.

SH3 wifi turned off and use an Unifi AC Lite

GrimUpNorth 06-02-2021 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36069556)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36069563)
So have I.

I had a similar invite a few years ago to test some Netgear WiFi extenders which were 'yours to keep' after the trial. When we moved house a couple of years ago and left Virgin they were on the list of kit they wanted returning. Had to nip round to the daughters to retrieve them!!

joglynne 06-02-2021 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36069650)
I had a similar invite a few years ago to test some Netgear WiFi extenders which were 'yours to keep' after the trial. When we moved house a couple of years ago and left Virgin they were on the list of kit they wanted returning. Had to nip round to the daughters to retrieve them!!

I have been on several trials in the past. I think they use me as a " idiotic old biddy" So if I don't have problems then the kit/tweaks must be OK for release. :D

I do use my Hub3 in router mode but, as far as I can see I can't see how the pods would help so I doubt if I will join the trial.

Unless someone here can suggest a benefit in my using them?

Hugh 06-02-2021 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36069660)
I have been on several trials in the past. I think they use me as a " idiotic old biddy" So if I don't have problems then the kit/tweaks must be OK for release. :D

I do use my Hub3 in router mode but, as far as I can see I can't see how the pods would help so I doubt if I will join the trial.

Unless someone here can suggest a benefit in my using them?

If they works as a mesh, they will improve the consistency of your wifi, and hand off seamlessly to each other.

joglynne 06-02-2021 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36069664)
If they works as a mesh, they will improve the consistency of your wifi, and hand off seamlessly to each other.

I am on 200M but at the moment and only get that level at weekends when homeworkers and home schoolers take a break. The 160/170M I reach during the week does what I need and I rarely use my chromebook in a different room to my hub unless I am working in the kitchen and want to follow a film. So the pods would hardly get a workout.

If it meant that I got 200m+ all the time then I would consider signing up if only to annoy the tech officianardos on the trial with my comments. :D

spiderplant 06-02-2021 16:19

If your speed reduces due to utilisation in peak hours, the Pods won't help. They only improve the coverage within your home

joglynne 06-02-2021 17:23

Thanks Mr Spider. :tu: I have applied to join the trial and see what happens. I do think my weekday reductions are due to utilisation issues but I will be interested to see if there are any imporvements.

Tricky Trevor 07-02-2021 16:21

I've been invited to the trial as well, Funnily enough,I had to register my interest 4 days previously for them to let me know when they will have the pods in stock.
I not heard if I've been chosen or not but I just want to get our blind spot fixed which is the kitchen thats only 12 foot away from the Superhub 3.

Paul 09-02-2021 02:36

I also got an invite, or at least an invite to apply.
I wont be doing so as just like the previous trial, you have to switch out of modem mode, which I dont want to do.
I dont have any major WiFi issues either so I dont think Id really gain much from it.

I am curious about one thing - with this pod system can you set your own SSID and password, or are you forced to use preset VM details ?

crazyronnie 09-02-2021 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36069923)
I also got an invite, or at least an invite to apply.
I wont be doing so as just like the previous trial, you have to switch out of modem mode, which I dont want to do.
I dont have any major WiFi issues either so I dont think Id really gain much from it.

I am curious about one thing - with this pod system can you set your own SSID and password, or are you forced to use preset VM details ?

i had the same invite yesterday. I'm not sure if this is the case, but is it possible to use ethernet as a backhaul rather than wifi for these VM mesh wifi devices?

I currently have the hub3.0 in modem mode which is connected to an Edgerouter X connected to a 24 port unmanaged switch with 3 BT Whole Home discs connected to each other via gigabit ethernet backhaul

BenMcr 09-02-2021 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36069923)

As far as I know yes. The Hub co-ordinate the rest of the Pods as a mesh network, so should link to whatever it's set as

I'm pretty sure the only guidance for the Pods is that you can't have the SSID split between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, need 5Ghz enabled and WPA2 enabled.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36069936)
As far as I know yes. The Hub co-ordinate the rest of the Pods as a mesh network, so should link to whatever it's set as

I'm pretty sure the only guidance for the Pods is that you can't have the SSID split between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, need 5Ghz enabled and WPA2 enabled.

Oh and have the 'Smart WiFi' option switched on. I'd think that's to ensure that all the Pods can ensure they're on the best WiFi channels.

Tricky Trevor 12-02-2021 12:43

I've had an email this morning which I find confusing..
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to order a pod but they were out of stock so I registered my interest for when they come back into stock. 3 days later, recieved an invitation to the trial so I signed up.
This morning, I recieved an email thanking me for changing my services. It went on to state that my new services include Intelligent WiFi pod 1,We've removed WiFi booster starter kit.
The thing is,Ive not heard either way if they are sending a pod because I registered my interest or if Ive been chosen for the trial, Ive recieved nothing.

It then states that 'Service changes were made to your account on 17th February 2021. So do I assume by this that the pod is in transit and has anybody else recieved this email but no pod?

Inactive Digital 12-02-2021 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 36070295)
I've had an email this morning which I find confusing..
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to order a pod but they were out of stock so I registered my interest for when they come back into stock. 3 days later, recieved an invitation to the trial so I signed up.
This morning, I recieved an email thanking me for changing my services. It went on to state that my new services include Intelligent WiFi pod 1,We've removed WiFi booster starter kit.
The thing is,Ive not heard either way if they are sending a pod because I registered my interest or if Ive been chosen for the trial, Ive recieved nothing.

It then states that 'Service changes were made to your account on 17th February 2021. So do I assume by this that the pod is in transit and has anybody else recieved this email but no pod?

Some others who registered for the trial have received the same email - looks like you're in!

Tricky Trevor 12-02-2021 13:03

oh right,thanks for quickly clearing that up. I better look out for the postman then.

Skie 12-02-2021 14:32

Yeah I had the email too. My SH3 has been in modem mode permanently with 3 Unifi AP's doing a stellar job of bathing house and garden with WiFi.

VM did a survey a few years ago to make their trial targeting better, by asking about your home setup. They clearly aren't using the results.

qwakuk 17-02-2021 09:08

I have something odd going on with my network and i assume it is VM messing with my SH3.

For the past few days my wireless on the SH3 is being enabled even though I have it disabled and am only realising because my Unifi Controller software informs me of a "rouge ap" on the network.

Had a message from Yodel this morning so assume my Pod is being delivered in the coming days and I assume it is somehow connected. Anyone noticed the same ?

Tricky Trevor 17-02-2021 09:42

If you have had a message from Yodel then your pod will arrive today.
Mine has just arrived so I will test it later.

Brunel 17-02-2021 11:42

"For the past few days my wireless on the SH3 is being enabled even though I have it disabled"

Same situation here as well.

RobboEdin 17-02-2021 12:02

To trial the WiFi Pods, your Hub must be in Router Mode with a single SSID and Channel Optimisation enabled.

daveybm 17-02-2021 14:07

If you have separate SSIDs it renames the 5G similar to the 2.4G eg my SSIDs where named Davesnet 2.4G and Davesnet 5G the 5g one is now named Davesnet.

spiderwebb46 05-07-2021 15:33

If I have a phone call on my iPhone and I move from my kitchen into the lounge during my conversation the signal always drops out. I have my phone set to WiFi calling and I am now hopeful that this new Virgin Media Intelligent WiFi plug in thing will correct that difficulty. Excuse the basic question I am no techy and I am hoping that you more experienced guys out there in the community will be able to offer some help and advice.
I am in a 4 bedroom house with the main router Hub 3 in my upstairs office. The televisions are connected to the internet via powerline adaptors in the lounge and the kitchen. if this information helps. Thanks guys:dunce:

ScottishSteve 05-07-2021 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderwebb46 (Post 36085283)
If I have a phone call on my iPhone and I move from my kitchen into the lounge during my conversation the signal always drops out. I have my phone set to WiFi calling and I am now hopeful that this new Virgin Media Intelligent WiFi plug in thing will correct that difficulty. Excuse the basic question I am no techy and I am hoping that you more experienced guys out there in the community will be able to offer some help and advice.
I am in a 4 bedroom house with the main router Hub 3 in my upstairs office. The televisions are connected to the internet via powerline adaptors in the lounge and the kitchen. if this information helps. Thanks guys:dunce:

I was testing the pods and they were very hit or miss, they would work on day perfectly but not the next. It was just frustrating in the end. I was getting better service through powerline adapters and a £15 wifi extender.

That was during the trial period so thing may have changed I opted for a set of 3 Deco M4's and things have been superb since.

Well worth the money.