Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Virgin : The future of virgin mobile... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710492)

vincerooney 23-10-2021 02:57

The future of virgin mobile...

Hey all,

So i'm seeing a lot of offers now and "rewards" for people who have both virgin media and o2 mobile. Yet nothing is mentioned about people who have virgin mobile. What do we think the reason is behind this?

Will virgin mobile customers be moved to o2 eventually? Will virgin mobile sell to another company and just take on o2? (just throwing ideas here). I'm new to virgin mobile and i'm sort of surprised how detached it seems from virgin media itself like they're almost two different companies.

So i'm intrigued as to what the future is now virgin media/o2 are starting to combine their services where does this leave virgin mobile?

Paul 23-10-2021 03:19

Re: The future of virgin mobile...

Its Virgin, so not a great suprise they dont reward their existing customers.

It seems to me they will abandon it - first stop taking new customers, then eventually move the others, if they havent alreay gone elsewhere themselves.

geogadget 29-10-2021 20:31

Didn’t Virgin Mobile sign a deal with Vodafone a few months before the merger with O2?

Presumably something will be done when the Vodafone contract ends. In the meantime heaven knows what they will do, depends if they see any value in Virgin Mobile or not..

Stuart 31-10-2021 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogadget (Post 36099271)
Didn’t Virgin Mobile sign a deal with Vodafone a few months before the merger with O2?

Presumably something will be done when the Vodafone contract ends. In the meantime heaven knows what they will do, depends if they see any value in Virgin Mobile or not..

Either way, it's a risky move for Virgin. Start introducing major changes like that for a customer, and you'll find a lot will start looking at their options, and may look elsewhere.

vincerooney 01-11-2021 01:29

With PAYG Virgin Mobile closing in January maybe we'll hear something about virgin mobile contracts merging into o2 soon?

Pierre 01-11-2021 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogadget (Post 36099271)

I can only offer my opinion on this.

You are indeed correct VM did sign a five year deal with Vodafone in 2019. With services moving over to the Vodafone RAN in 2021. I don't know if the 5years runs from 2019 or 2021.

At the moment both Virgin and O2 are keeping their identities in the merger, so it is possible for Virgin Mobile to continue as a brand and move back on to the O2 RAN in 5 years.

Though I wouldn't expect that to happen, I believe in the intervening years, or at the end of the five, the company will rebrand again and lose the dual identity.

A which point all Mobile customers will be moved onto the same platform.

vincerooney 14-11-2021 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36099574)
I can only offer my opinion on this.

You are indeed correct VM did sign a five year deal with Vodafone in 2019. With services moving over to the Vodafone RAN in 2021. I don't know if the 5years runs from 2019 or 2021.

At the moment both Virgin and O2 are keeping their identities in the merger, so it is possible for Virgin Mobile to continue as a brand and move back on to the O2 RAN in 5 years.

Though I wouldn't expect that to happen, I believe in the intervening years, or at the end of the five, the company will rebrand again and lose the dual identity.

A which point all Mobile customers will be moved onto the same platform.

Could virgin mobile get out of their contract with vodafone by shutting virgin mobile down and moving everyone to o2? Or would that break the contract?

vincerooney 16-11-2021 02:13

so virgin media customers can now get o2 priority. its looking like virgin mobile is on its last legs....personally i hope its not soon. i get vodafone 5G in my area and o2 has no 5G in my area!

Itshim 16-11-2021 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36101408)
so virgin media customers can now get o2 priority. its looking like virgin mobile is on its last legs....personally i hope its not soon. i get vodafone 5G in my area and o2 has no 5G in my area!

Out of curiousity l took out a Vodafone PAYG phone ( still has credit ) and my Tesco monthly / phone nothing to do with them ( got from ao) in the same place middle of village ( suburb of Cardiff these days) no signal on Vodafone ,5 bars on Tesco ( ie O2 ) and I was standing under a Vodafone mast !!!! Had to walk a couple of hundred metres to get any sort of signal. Makes no sense :confused:

Paul 17-11-2021 01:28

Standing under a mast is the worst place to be.
The signal is designed to spread outwards, not downwards.

Itshim 17-11-2021 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36101544)

Stupid place to put then . In middle of village ,outside main shops ,close to bus stops . No signal for at least 5 mins walk before getting it.:p::p:

BenMcr 17-11-2021 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36101544)

Also unless you have exactly the same make and model of phone with two different SIMs, there is a whole other set of other variances to deal with.

Itshim 17-11-2021 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36101656)
Also unless you have exactly the same make and model of phone with two different SIMs, there is a whole other set of other variances to deal with.

Went out again ( walking the dogs:D) as stated two different phones, two different providers. Coverage everywhere with Tesco (O2) is five bars great reception, indoors and out . Vodafone only zero to two bars over a walk that is around 2 miles . As l had in the past problems getting texts out at all tried and failed to get one to the other phone either way . So how ever I look at it virgin / O2 is great and Vodafone is a waste to space. :monkey: took the bull by the horns swapped the card vodafone still rubbish. O2 worked well ok not as good as on my phone but that is 5g if that makes a difference?

007stuart 20-11-2021 18:35

I'm off to 02 from Virgin for cheaper monthly charge with more data and a free broadband speed increase to the next tier.

1701-e 22-11-2021 16:45

:)Just off the phone to VM and happy to increase data on all three sim cards for a price reduction in the black Friday deals. Happy to continue