Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Price rises this year. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711665)

pip08456 27-01-2023 14:59

Price rises this year.

This years prices set to rise 13.8%. This will also be the last year you will be able to exit contract penalty free.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...and-phone.html

Jaymoss 27-01-2023 15:02

Re: Price rises this year.

hopefully it will be the last year there is no FTTP in my area also so I can perpetually be a new customer every 18 months

Mr K 27-01-2023 15:37

Future rises RPI + 3.9 % !!! With no cancellation !
As for 13.8% this year... Even Dick Turpin wore a mask...

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I love their logo on the OP link 'supercharging the UK'. Indeed !

ozsat 27-01-2023 16:00

My contract ends in March and I called about renewing or cancelling.

They said the top level £111 pack which I'll be on with no ongoing discounts will not be affected by the price changes in March/April.

Inactive Digital 27-01-2023 16:50

A reminder that price rises are applied to standard prices, not necessarily the amount you pay. so If you have any discounts you increase will be higher.

E.g. a 13.8% increase on my package would mean I pay 27% more each month. I'll be hitting the phone as soon as I get my notification.

techguyone 27-01-2023 19:15

I'm a bit pissy about that as my contract has *only just* been renewed, and it wasn't that great a deal, then it'll be hiked up again in another few months.

Openreach is rolling out fibre in the area, so for the first time ever VM won't be the only high speed game in town. I wonder if their offers will be better now there's a viable alternative.

Foo Fighter 27-01-2023 19:28

Its great news for me. I can jump to cheaper offnet full fibre provider that's just been built but have been stuck in contract.

Has anyone has notification yet?

Mr K 27-01-2023 21:19

On my son's account they've increased it from £48 to £55 a month, an increase of 14.6%, he isn't on any discounts. So they lie about 13.8% and are rounding it up to the nearest pound.
Not worth him negotiating a new contract as he might move at any time.

Mythica 27-01-2023 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144544)
On my son's account they've increased it from £48 to £55 a month, an increase of 14.6%, he isn't on any discounts. So they lie about 13.8% and are rounding it up to the nearest pound.
Not worth him negotiating a new contract as he might move at any time.

13.8% on average

Mr K 27-01-2023 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36144548)
13.8% on average

VMs definition of 'average' is a moveable feast....
Seem to remember no one had less than the 'average" in last price rise :confused:

Hugh 28-01-2023 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144549)
VMs definition of 'average' is a moveable feast....
Seem to remember no one had less than the 'average" in last price rise :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36144527)
A reminder that price rises are applied to standard prices, not necessarily the amount you pay. so If you have any discounts you increase will be higher.

E.g. a 13.8% increase on my package would mean I pay 27% more each month. I'll be hitting the phone as soon as I get my notification.

pip08456 28-01-2023 00:37

Quote:

I put my cancellation in when the 2001 increases were due. I got a good deal with 2yr contract. There was no increase for me in 2022. Waiting to see what I'll be offered this year when the time comes. As I'm BB only I am perhaps better placed than others.

spiderplant 28-01-2023 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144549)

Some people had no rise at all last year

Inactive Digital 28-01-2023 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36144576)

Important to note, both because of the valuable help it provides to those on lower incomes and also because, by law of averages, those who do have price rises are more likely to see a higher than average increase as a result.

denphone 28-01-2023 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foo Fighter (Post 36144538)
Its great news for me. I can jump to cheaper offnet full fibre provider that's just been built but have been stuck in contract.

Has anyone has notification yet?

No notification here yet.

Peter729 28-01-2023 13:10

The removal of the ability to cancel the contract if you do not accept a price rise is a big issue, you are effectively subject to whatever Virgin decides to do, price wise, for the term of your contact. I don’t like the thought of Virgin having their fingers in my wallet. Time to consider other broadbands options I think.

I have not received any formal notification from Virgin yet.

BenMcr 28-01-2023 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 36144584)
you are effectively subject to whatever Virgin decides to do, price wise, for the term of your contact.

From next year it's RPI+3.9% each April same as it is for O2 contracts.

That T&C change is included within the notification about this year's change so applies once the RTC ends for you.

Peter729 28-01-2023 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36144585)

YouFibre go live in my area in February and they promise no, in contract, price increases. I only have broadband from Virgin so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue to move, I have been with Virgin for quite some time and have never had any issues with their broadband however, I am a pensioner and want to keep control of my financial outgoings.

Mr K 28-01-2023 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 36144586)
YouFibre go live in my area in February and they promise no, in contract, price increases. I only have broadband from Virgin so it shouldn’t be too much of an issue to move, I have been with Virgin for quite some time and have never had any issues with their broadband however, I am a pensioner and want to keep control of my financial outgoings.

Think VM might have miscalculated for their BB customers given the increased competition now.

Peter729 28-01-2023 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36144579)
No notification here yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144591)
Think VM might have miscalculated for their BB customers given the increased competition now.

I agree, I live in a small market town and there’s no shortage of alternatives, why put up with price rises when there are alternative options available.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 36144592)
I agree, I live in a small market town and there’s no shortage of alternatives, why put up with price rises when there are alternative options available.

This is the promise that attracts me

Why YouFibre?
We are a true full fibre broadband provider, supplying homes and businesses across the UK with ultrafast and ultra-affordable internet. Customer happiness is our number one priority and we promise to never increase the price you pay mid-contract.

Itshim 28-01-2023 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 36144584)
The removal of the ability to cancel the contract if you do not accept a price rise is a big issue, you are effectively subject to whatever Virgin decides to do, price wise, for the term of your contact. I don’t like the thought of Virgin having their fingers in my wallet. Time to consider other broadbands options I think.

I have not received any formal notification from Virgin yet.

Very few providers do not have these terms . At least I am out of contact, see no point in renewing,

nialli 28-01-2023 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36144576)

I had none. New Volt contract agreed last January that runs until June and no increase to date. If they match the price currently being offered to new customers £79 I’ll be happy to renew

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36144585)

That T&C change is included within the notification about this year's change so applies once the RTC ends for you.

It’s RPI rather than CPI, which means VM rises in future will be larger than other suppliers

techguyone 28-01-2023 20:20

It'll be interesting to see if VM change their tune if customers start leaving in droves. It does seem as time goes by BT are infiltrating VM only areas.

Mr K 28-01-2023 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36144620)
It'll be interesting to see if VM change their tune if customers start leaving in droves. It does seem as time goes by BT are infiltrating VM only areas.

They'll do the usual, offer slightly cheaper deals if the punter signs up for 18 months. Folks are seeing through that, particularly with RPI+3.9% increases and no cancellation option in future.

Paddy1 28-01-2023 23:39

I've done the cancel dance every year for longer that I can remember. The change in terms is a deal breaker for me. There's no way I'm signing up for 18 months with a guaranteed price rise after 12 that I can't do anything about.

I've already decided my land line number is going to VOIP and I don't care about the Tv because the only channels I watch are on freeview anyway.

HughA 29-01-2023 10:23

No notification for me yet and I have another year to go on my contract. Fortunately Lit Fibre has become available to me recently and they are offering 3 months free and 40% reduction for the rest of the contract. I'm almost hoping Virgin send me an increase email so that I can move to Lit sooner! I'll have the hassle of moving my Virgin phone number to a VOIP provider as Lit don't offer phone. I've been looking at Vonage, anyone have experience of them or recommend another reliable provider?

nialli 29-01-2023 12:25

It’s not like VM is breaking new ground with T&Cs here.
“BT is expected to increase its monthly prices by nearly 15% on 31st March 2023. This is the largest the UK has seen for broadband in decades, after combining the latest CPI inflation rate of 10.5% with BT's built-in price increase of 3.9%.
However, if you’re a BT customer, you may have agreed to an annual price rise when you signed up, as it's often part of BT's terms and conditions. This means it's unlikely you’ll be able to cancel your contract without having to pay an expensive exit fee.
Customers of BT’s other broadband brands, Plusnet and EE Broadband, are subject to the same annual price increase percentage on the 31st March. The annual BT price increase affects the majority of its residential broadband customers, as the policy is now part of its T&Cs. All new BT customers who signed up or re-contracted with BT after September 2020 would have been subject to an annual price increase in line with inflation plus an additional 3.9%.
This means that you won’t be able to end your contract early without paying an early termination fee. However, you might find that if you're approaching the end of your contract, you could save money overall by paying a few months' worth of early exit fees and moving onto a cheaper broadband deal.” https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...-consumers-do/
Sky increases still to be announced.

Itshim 29-01-2023 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36144602)
Very few providers do not have these terms . At least I am out of contact, see no point in renewing,

Wondering what you people think ,happy with what I am getting so not looking for anything to be added. Happy to lose landline , like that will happen, and bring down cost. What discount should I try for ? If l sign on again , but wouldn't try until the increase is advised. So would be looking at another hit after 12 months.

nialli 29-01-2023 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36144650)
Wondering what you people think ,happy with what I am getting so not looking for anything to be added. Happy to lose landline , like that will happen, and bring down cost. What discount should I try for ? If l sign on again , but wouldn't try until the increase is advised. So would be looking at another hit after 12 months.

I’m out of contract in June so I’ll review my options then. I’m on Volt and I’m probably looking at an extra tenner a month, which ain’t too bad as I’ve had no other increases since I signed my contract 13 months ago.
When negotiating I aim to get the price they’re offering new customers, currently £79/m for everything including an unlimited O2 SIM. I also get myself quotes from Sky and NOW before phoning Retentions so I’m fully armed. (Sky Stream plus bb and phone was £85/m when I last enquired)
Seven years ago I was paying VM £137/m but since then every call has brought the price down. I currently pay £85/m.

stann0 30-01-2023 13:45

Got an email this morning advising my price would increase by £11 from 1st April. As my 18-month contract was fixed at £29 in December that would be a 38% increase. To say I was furious is putting it mildly. I rang retentions and thankfully came to a satisfactory agreement.

There must be people who just suck up these increases without questioning them.

techguyone 30-01-2023 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by stann0 (Post 36144729)
Got an email this morning advising my price would increase by £11 from 1st April. As my 18-month contract was fixed at £29 in December that would be a 38% increase. To say I was furious is putting it mildly. I rang retentions and thankfully came to a satisfactory agreement.

I had similar, and reduced my bill by over 2/3
By cancelling all except broadband. That seemed satisfactory to me, and once Openreach finish finalising the local infrastructure that will be even more satisfactory.

RobboEdin 30-01-2023 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by stann0 (Post 36144729)

I don’t understand why you’re furious.
The maths is simple.
Those with heavy discounts will get very high percentage increases due to the general price increase.

jfman 30-01-2023 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36144747)
The maths is simple.
Those with heavy discounts will get very high percentage increases due to the general price increase.

I genuinely don’t think that’s reflective in the messaging, or that anyone would consider a 38% increase in contract reasonable.

techguyone 30-01-2023 18:33

I was paying £62, in April if I had done nothing, I'd have been paying £99

I wonder how many other people there are, who would have done nothing and got that kind of increase. (The VM guy I spoke too had said the phones were red hot with people cancelling/downgrading their packages)

Mr K 30-01-2023 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36144747)
The maths is simple.

Most will have some discount, the 13% av. increase, is deliberately misleading.
13% itself is way above inflation, which is forecast to come down this year, . Also a promise of more inflation busting increases and no cancellation rights in future years. Customers have a right to be upset.

Peter729 30-01-2023 20:27

With inflation and the rise in energy prices many people are scrambling to save every penny they can, I read today there are many people cancelling their Netflicks/Disney etc subscriptions.

Chrysalis 31-01-2023 03:03

Quote:

Wow O_o.

---------- Post added at 03:03 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

Good job they not heard of truflation which is just under 20%.

https://app.truflation.com/

ileikcaek 31-01-2023 12:04

Increase of £7 from £44.49 to £51.49 for me, for 250Mb, I will be off to Youfibre as soon as
they are live here. They have been busy building around here for the last few months, so hopefully it won't be too long now.

£29.99/m for gigabit is just too good to pass up.

Chrysalis 31-01-2023 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ileikcaek (Post 36144812)
Increase of £7 from £44.49 to £51.49 for me, for 250Mb, I will be off to Youfibre as soon as
they are live here. They have been busy building around here for the last few months, so hopefully it won't be too long now.

How do you know, they notified you already?

techguyone 31-01-2023 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ileikcaek (Post 36144812)

What boils my piss is the disparity in pricing.

I'm paying £35 for 250 and I'm not a new customer.

My daughter is paying something different again, again not a new customer, how hard can it be for VM to have flat rates for the same service.

Peter729 31-01-2023 12:53

The YouFibre offer seems almost too good to be true but I have looked at the reviews and they are very positive, I think February will see me moving from VM to YouFibre.

Chrysalis 31-01-2023 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36144820)

My daughter is paying something different again, again not a new customer, how hard can it be for VM to have flat rates for the same service.

Indeed, my ordering phone call I brought this up, I told the operator what someone else was paying for gig1, and she pretended the price point simply did not exist, I then offered to read out the proof and said be honest or I am putting the phone down now (as I personally cant stand these pricing shenanigans) she then admitted different customers pay different prices but she can only offer what the computer says, but then magically she discovered the volt offer after that admission. (previously was only offered the standard website price of £64).

pip08456 31-01-2023 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36144820)

I'm paying £20 for 250mb and I'm not a new customer.

Peter729 31-01-2023 15:09

£20 for 250mb is an extremely good deal ��

pip08456 31-01-2023 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 36144829)
£20 for 250mb is an extremely good deal ��

Don't I know it. I didn't ask for it, didn't need it but it was offered so I took it.
I was on 100mb at the time and was quite willing to go back to 50mb, as that's all I need.

Gavin78 31-01-2023 22:17

Just gone through the emails and found that our £97.75 package is going up by £15 in april

That means that this is around an increase of 15.5%, We've been out of contract for around 4 years We are still on the full house bundle with 350mb BB. contract was out in 2019.

Not sure how they justify a £15 increase

I guess I'm best waiting increase or before? giving them a call see what deals we can get?

nialli 01-02-2023 08:26

Definitely call them. You’ll end up getting more than you’re paying out of contract. The only down side is you’ll be committing to 18 months with an RPI plus 3.9% after 12

Inactive Digital 01-02-2023 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36144897)
Definitely call them. You’ll end up getting more than you’re paying out of contract. The only down side is you’ll be committing to 18 months with an RPI plus 3.9% after 12

Hopefully inflation will be less next year, so not quite as painful. Ofcom really does need to act on in-contract price rises. Its unreasonable on customers to be effectively signing blank cheques and have no idea how much they will be paying for their services in 12 months' time. If companies like Virgin Media are unable to accurately forecast the cost of providing a customer with a service for 18 months, they should not be offering 18 month minimum terms.

Has anyone manged to negotiate a 12 month contract when contacting retentions?

Jaymoss 01-02-2023 09:38

The only way to get the best price is to put your 30 days notice in. Proper retentions will most likely call within days and give the best price. I find myself having to repeat this so often but it really is the only way. Also when you negotiate ensure it is clear there will be no price rises during the deal then in 18 months do it again

ileikcaek 01-02-2023 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36144819)
How do you know, they notified you already?

Yes, A friend of mine was also notified of the same increase of £7 (same package and price as me), he phoned them and managed to bag a discount to 37.49 for 18 months and somehow, no new contract.

In any case he's hoping a local fibre company will be installing in his street soon and he will be off, he was adamant with VM that he wanted no new contract. I didn't think it was possible to get a discount and no contract renewal.

Chrysalis 01-02-2023 15:21

I am guessing that I have no email I am not getting an increase?

I getting usual marketing emails etc. just no price increase.

TAZMANUK 01-02-2023 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36144948)
I am guessing that I have no email I am not getting an increase?

I getting usual marketing emails etc. just no price increase.

I haven't yet had my email about any price increase just waiting for it to arrive then haggle

denphone 01-02-2023 15:59

l have not had any email yet but they might get sent out over a period of a few weeks so l might still get one.

Mr K 01-02-2023 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36144953)
l have not had any email yet but they might get sent out over a period of a few weeks so l might still get one.

I usually get a letter, weeks later than anyone else for some reason. My son got an email a few days ago.

TAZMANUK 01-02-2023 16:29

Spoke too soon 15 quid upping bill to 97 when new customer's get same for 79 getting no where with retention firing 360 at me at 30 quid charge

Mr K 01-02-2023 16:36

Mmmm, no one getting less than the 'average' in VMs press release.....
Yes I know they'll have fiddled it to base it on the tariff before discounts, but its still misleading to say the least. They hope no one can work out percentages these days....

SnoopZ 01-02-2023 16:52

Just got the email mine goes up £15 a month so I'll be paying £110.75 a month for Full House TV, Talk any time Phone and M250 Broadband!!!

I don't like phoning up so I won't be able to put my notice in to cancel as just don't talk on the phone or am in a position to answer a phone call.

What steps are required to chat to them on WhatsApp to negotiate a price reduction, what exactly do I need to do to message them on WhatsApp as I know I'm paying far too much for my services and don't even use the TV or phone so I want to either dump the TV or drop it to the minimum, keep basic phone(whatever that is) and keep Broadband without reducing the speed?

Peter729 01-02-2023 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144963)
Mmmm, no one getting less than the 'average' in VMs press release.....
Yes I know they'll have fiddled it to base it on the tariff before discounts, but its still misleading to say the least. They hope no one can work out percentages these days....

It’s like the old question “what’s the average number of legs per person in the UK” there are no people with 3 legs but there are some unfortunate people with one or none at all.

So the answer to “what is the average number of legs per person in the UK” has to come out at less than 2.

richard-john56 01-02-2023 20:26

The prices go up but when the times get good again will they come back down to attract new customers and keep the old ones.

Time to move on for me I think.

Chrysalis 02-02-2023 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36144967)
Just got the email mine goes up £15 a month so I'll be paying £110.75 a month for Full House TV, Talk any time Phone and M250 Broadband!!!

I don't like phoning up so I won't be able to put my notice in to cancel as just don't talk on the phone or am in a position to answer a phone call.

What steps are required to chat to them on WhatsApp to negotiate a price reduction, what exactly do I need to do to message them on WhatsApp as I know I'm paying far too much for my services and don't even use the TV or phone so I want to either dump the TV or drop it to the minimum, keep basic phone(whatever that is) and keep Broadband without reducing the speed?

Dont know answer to your question but I can tell you when I contacted them on whatsapp it wasnt a live discussion, it was a multiple hour wait, which obviously meant I wasnt sitting watching when they replied and I got a response to the question I asked. So its more akin to sending an email query vs a live chat. (faster response than email though)

SnoopZ 02-02-2023 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36145038)
Dont know answer to your question but I can tell you when I contacted them on whatsapp it wasnt a live discussion, it was a multiple hour wait, which obviously meant I wasnt sitting watching when they replied and I got a response to the question I asked. So its more akin to sending an email query vs a live chat. (faster response than email though)

How to contact on WhatsApp?

joglynne 02-02-2023 12:26

In August 2022 a team member on the VM Community forum said "Please, be advised our WhatsApp number is +447305 327 112 "

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...0%20532%207112.

SnoopZ 02-02-2023 14:47

Thanks all.

jfman 02-02-2023 15:15

I was about 15 mins back and forward on WhatsApp. About 5 mins passing the bot. 5 min wait on a human, 5 mins to go through the change.

SnoopZ 02-02-2023 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36145070)
I was about 15 mins back and forward on WhatsApp. About 5 mins passing the bot. 5 min wait on a human, 5 mins to go through the change.

Did you get a good deal?

Chrysalis 02-02-2023 16:31

Still no price rise email for me, since I am on a new customer offer I wonder if I will get it, but I do remember been told I will get the inflationary rise.

jfman 02-02-2023 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36145073)
Did you get a good deal?

Sorry I thought I was in the Sky Sports UHD thread :D

I was on WhatsApp to add that. My deal has 12 months to go, well, depending on what my price rise email says.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36145076)
Still no price rise email for me, since I am on a new customer offer I wonder if I will get it, but I do remember been told I will get the inflationary rise.

Same boat.

Foo Fighter 02-02-2023 19:18

No one around my way that I know has had an email yet and an alt net provider has just gone live offerering much lower prices, might just be a coincidence unless they are targeting areas without competition.

We are all waiting to put our notice in ��

crossbow1956 06-02-2023 10:15

13.8 % is a lot & will put £21.00 on my bill from virgin media think i will cancel the tv & cut back my internet speed. i have maxit tv with sky sports & bt sports m200 bb & talk more phone & if thay don't play ball then i will walk been a virgin media customer for about 15 years .

nialli 06-02-2023 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow1956 (Post 36145284)
13.8 % is a lot & will put £21.00 on my bill from virgin media think i will cancel the tv & cut back my internet speed. i have maxit tv with sky sports & bt sports m200 bb & talk more phone & if thay don't play ball then i will walk been a virgin media customer for about 15 years .

How much are you paying? I’m on Ultimate Volt and pay £85/m, which gives me pretty much everything and I’m anticipating an increase of around £11/m

Mr K 06-02-2023 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36145309)
How much are you paying? I’m on Ultimate Volt and pay £85/m, which gives me pretty much everything and I’m anticipating an increase of around £11/m

Bet its closer to £20. VMs average 13.8% is a figure for Press releases only....

nialli 06-02-2023 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36145313)
Bet its closer to £20. VMs average 13.8% is a figure for Press releases only....

Don’t know yet as I haven’t received an email yet about the increase

joglynne 07-02-2023 10:03

We recieved the email a few days ago informing us that there was going to be a £15.00 increase.

Before a discount of £17 my full service charge would have been £98.25. Using that full amount I had reckoned that the average 13.8% rise would result in an increase of around £13.55.

So not to far off what I was expecting.

crossbow1956 07-02-2023 10:35

Hi i pay £49.12 that includes a £ 7.00 discount full price is £ 56.12 i did have sky cinema but canceled it i was paying then £61.12 .

Taf 07-02-2023 13:57

I've just has TalkTalk at the door, extolling their fibre service that has just arrived in the area. He kept on going on-and-on about the DL speeds (900Mbps), and being able to use "loads of apps" (chargeable, of course). But TalkTalk don't provide a TIVO-like recorder, so that's a big NO from this household, as we rarely watch any live TV.

Another downside is having to locate the incoming cable close to a mains socket. Our hallway, where the old BT line comes in, has no power sockets.

No contact from VM about the price increase yet.

Inactive Digital 07-02-2023 14:30

I haven't received my notification yet either but, from what I've seen online, the increases seem to be £9, £12, £15 or £21.50. I'm guessing I'll be at the lower end of those, depending on how they view my Stream box.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that VM isn't the right company for me - it's a premium product at a premium price and, right now, that's not what I'm after. My only issue is that there are no altnets in my area and getting Openreach installed would require them to dig up my block paved drive and the hassle that would ensue. I am considering Three's home broadband though. Does anyone have any experience with it?

nialli 07-02-2023 22:30

I don’t consider VM premium priced. I’ve never had a Sky offer that could beat VM’s pricing. Even NOW costs more with their broadband factored in. BT is the worst value.

I’ve got a mobile on Three. No Three 5g yet in SE London but the 4G around our way is 50 down, 30 up most of the time and their home broadband is probably good enough if you have decent coverage like us.

Inactive Digital 07-02-2023 23:09

It's the standard prices I'm referring to as premium, as that's what the price rise is based on. The standard price for my package of BB125 and Anytime calls is currently £59. I get discounts which makes the actual price I pay comparable with VM's competitors.
When I receive my price rise notification I'll try and haggle (starting with dropping the Anytime calls). But, even if I do agree a price, do I want to commit to an RPI+3.9% increase based on £60+ standard price with VM next year, or switch to Three and have a CPI+3.9% increase on £20ish. It seems a no brainer to me price-wise.

Gavin-D 09-02-2023 16:35

Ofcom has started investigating mobile phone and broadband operators who increase prices for customers mid-contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64584641

nialli 09-02-2023 17:23

Sky increases considerably less than Virgin Media’s

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ce-hikes-2023/

pip08456 09-02-2023 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36145532)
Ofcom has started investigating mobile phone and broadband operators who increase prices for customers mid-contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64584641

OFCOM can resolve this easily by giving customers the right to leave without penaly within 30 days of price rise notification. Problem solved.

RichardCoulter 09-02-2023 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36145544)
OFCOM can resolve this easily by giving customers the right to leave without penaly within 30 days of price rise notification. Problem solved.

Exactly. This would stop Virgin from putting up prices and then preventing customers from leaving as they are planning to do from next year.

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36145413)
I don’t consider VM premium priced. I’ve never had a Sky offer that could beat VM’s pricing. Even NOW costs more with their broadband factored in. BT is the worst value.

I’ve got a mobile on Three. No Three 5g yet in SE London but the 4G around our way is 50 down, 30 up most of the time and their home broadband is probably good enough if you have decent coverage like us.

It's all smoke and mirrors and depends on what people want.

For example, as posted above the forthcoming Virgin price will be significantly higher than that of Sky.

Virgin customers who want to watch the popular Sky Atlantic channel have to factor in the price of Now TV and pay twice for the other Sky channels.

Those who want BT Sport may find that Virgin is better for them as all customers on the highest packs subsidise the cost of this whether they watch it or not.

johnathome 09-02-2023 20:27

I got a letter today, £15 a month price rise.

I'm having to leave work to look after my wife so I'll be going down to the minimum BB package only.

Is the minimum 100Mb? What sort of price do you think i could get?

TIA

Mr K 09-02-2023 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36145556)
I got a letter today, £15 a month price rise.

I'm having to leave work to look after my wife so I'll be going down to the minimum BB package only.

Is the minimum 100Mb? What sort of price do you think i could get?

TIA

15mb/£12.50 a month is the lowest, if you claim Universal Credit.
https://www.virginmedia.com/broadban...ncome-families

johnathome 09-02-2023 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36145557)
15mb/£12.50 a month is the lowest, if you claim Universal Credit.
https://www.virginmedia.com/broadban...ncome-families

I won't be getting UC, I'll just have to phone them i guess.

Mr K 09-02-2023 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36145558)
I won't be getting UC, I'll just have to phone them i guess.

Ring up and cancel your services. They'll ring back with a better offer. If not you can always cancel your cancellation, or go with one of the many cheaper fibre deals atm, if available to you.

Gavin-D 09-02-2023 21:44

Sky seem to have undercut all the big companies by quite some margin

BT + 14.4%
EE + 14.4%
Plusnet + 14.4%
Talk Talk + 14.2%
Virgin Media + 13.8%
Sky + 8.1%

johnathome 09-02-2023 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36145560)
Ring up and cancel your services. They'll ring back with a better offer. If not you can always cancel your cancellation, or go with one of the many cheaper fibre deals atm, if available to you.

If i leave VM I'd need a new line installed I think, hopefully one would do a free install.

RichardCoulter 09-02-2023 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36145576)
If i leave VM I'd need a new line installed I think, hopefully one would do a free install.

When I was considering BT TV & broadband because of their 2 year half price Now TV offer, they offeted to buy me out of my Virgin contract & install a new phone line completely free of charge.

If you give them a call i'm sure they'd offer you the same thing.

oxfordmark 10-02-2023 12:22

I have not had any contact regarding a price rise. When i called, I was told my bill would be going from £69 to £88 and I would NOT be able to leave penalty free.

Maybe the system has not yet applied the increase to me?

I took this contract out in March 2022.

Anyone else not had anything?

RichardCoulter 10-02-2023 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxfordmark (Post 36145618)
I have not had any contact regarding a price rise. When i called, I was told my bill would be going from £69 to £88 and I would NOT be able to leave penalty free.

Maybe the system has not yet applied the increase to me?

I took this contract out in March 2022.

Anyone else not had anything?

The price rise notifications are being staggered. Also, you will be informed via email if possible, so check your junk folder or old email addresses in case Virgin only have that.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to leave, this change meaning you can't leave due to a price rise doesn't come into effect until next year.

Sounds to me like you've been given duff information in order to stop you leaving next month, please see my thread about this:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33711694

oxfordmark 10-02-2023 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36145620)
The price rise notifications are being staggered. Also, you will be informed via email if possible, so check your junk folder or old email addresses in case Virgin only have that.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to leave, this change meaning you can't leave due to a price rise doesn't come into effect until next year.

Sounds to me like you've been given duff information in order to stop you leaving next month, please see my thread about this:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33711694

I reckon as the system has not generated my price rise email/letter, it will not let me leave pen free.

BenMcr 10-02-2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxfordmark (Post 36145622)
I reckon as the system has not generated my price rise email/letter, it will not let me leave pen free.

That's my understanding - the system tells the agent when you've been notified so that's when your RTC counter starts.

jfman 10-02-2023 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36145581)
When I was considering BT TV & broadband because of their 2 year half price Now TV offer, they offeted to buy me out of my Virgin contract & install a new phone line completely free of charge.

If you give them a call i'm sure they'd offer you the same thing.

Imagine the stress you’d have saved.

Hugh 10-02-2023 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36145627)
Imagine the stress you’d have saved.

And his own… ;)

SnoopZ 10-02-2023 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36145628)
And his own… ;)

:rofl:

joglynne 10-02-2023 17:33

Quote:

Mid-contract broadband and mobile price hikes to be reviewed by regulator
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...62Zyf0v_cPayz4

Paul 10-02-2023 18:07

I have not had any notifications from VM.

I did get something from Sky about 3 weeks ago.

heero_yuy 10-02-2023 18:17

We've had the price rise letter. Looking to dump the TV and phone and minimise the broadband to 100mb. It's just too expensive at the moment and we don't use anything on the TV that isn't already on Freeview or streamers or other.

BT and city fiber biting at VM's heels here with competitive offerings so plenty of options.

techguyone 10-02-2023 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36145659)
We've had the price rise letter. Looking to dump the TV and phone and minimise the broadband to 100mb. It's just too expensive at the moment and we don't use anything on the TV that isn't already on Freeview or streamers or other.

BT and city fiber biting at VM's heels here with competitive offerings so plenty of options.

That's what we did, albeit internet at 200, we should have some competition by the time the next contract rolls around though (finally) so have to suck it up or go to modem like speeds currently.