Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Important: Your phone service is changing (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711644)

techguyone 16-02-2023 08:01

Re: Important: Your phone service is changing

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146084)
Yes. Virgin Media have never forced you to have a home phone to get broadband or TV.

The Hub based lines can also be switched off separately to having Virgin Fibre broadband.

They do however penalise you if you only have part of the complete package (phone/TV/Broadband) with higher pricing.

Itshim 16-02-2023 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146084)
Yes. Virgin Media have never forced you to have a home phone to get broadband or TV.

The Hub based lines can also be switched off separately to having Virgin Fibre broadband.

Please tell your agents , every time I have said I don't want a phone line the answer come down too is hard luck :D

Chrysalis 16-02-2023 14:32

Do people still use landlines at home in 2023?

Whatever provider I have used BT based services or VM, I have never had anything as reliable as my mobile phone, covered by multiple masts so redundancy, always worked in power cuts as well, plus works when I leave home.

But ignoring all this when landlines providers lost it and started silly things like connection fee's I would have thought they killed off their own services from the sheer cost of using it?

VOIP which is the replacement, I would like to think brings costs closer to using a mobile phone? So no more connection fees, line rental etc?

BenMcr 16-02-2023 14:55

Currently both Virgin Media and Openreach based providers charge line rental for home phone services.

When all customers are moved over to IP based lines, the pricing structures may change, but that's a while off yet.

heero_yuy 16-02-2023 17:30

I would guess that it'll be re-branded as a service charge.

admars 16-02-2023 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36146142)
Do people still use landlines at home in 2023?

I think like a lot of ppl we receive calls from

a) my parents
b) the in laws
c) nuisance

dentist and gp might use landline as well, but that's about it.

going to be a bit of pain, as router is in opposite corner of lounge to where the phone socket is

Itshim 16-02-2023 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146147)
Currently both Virgin Media and Openreach based providers charge line rental for home phone services.

When all customers are moved over to IP based lines, the pricing structures may change, but that's a while off yet.

I repeat I have an openreach line to my house , even have/ had a number , have not used for years so have no idea if it is still live, clearly has no service as such. However it is costing nothing to physically leave it there. Perhaps I should charge them rent :D

BenMcr 16-02-2023 21:54

OK. I don't understand what point you're making there. If you had active services on the openreach landline you'd be charged for the service.

If you didn't have an active Virgin Media landline you wouldn't be charged for it.

Itshim 19-02-2023 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146176)
OK. I don't understand what point you're making there. If you had active services on the openreach landline you'd be charged for the service.

If you didn't have an active Virgin Media landline you wouldn't be charged for it.

My point, I repeat is, when I say I don't want it I am told hard luck you are stuck with it .

copernob 20-02-2023 02:01

So I have a phone Downstairs and a Phone Upstairs so How on earth do I plug both phones in ?? Not that I use them any more as all I get on them is SCAM calls.

If I cancel Home Phone do I still have to pay that Stupid £19:99 ??? THANKS

Mr K 20-02-2023 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 36146351)
So I have a phone Downstairs and a Phone Upstairs so How on earth do I plug both phones in ?? Not that I use them any more as all I get on them is SCAM calls.

If I cancel Home Phone do I still have to pay that Stupid £19:99 ??? THANKS

I don't think the phone adds much if anything to your bill. At 24p a minute if you dare to make call, that's all they need

. I guess most would use wireless phones now so you'd just need one downstairs near the hub plugged in. Always best to have one phone that is wired and not reliant on your BB though. I won't be changing to voip till forced. My hubs too old for it anyway, so I won't be changing that either !

Itshim 20-02-2023 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36146365)
I don't think the phone adds much if anything to your bill. At 24p a minute if you dare to make call, that's all they need

. I guess most would use wireless phones now so you'd just need one downstairs near the hub plugged in. Always best to have one phone that is wired and not reliant on your BB though. I won't be changing to voip till forced. My hubs too old for it anyway, so I won't be changing that either !

My bill lists landline at £19.99 per month :mad:

Hugh 20-02-2023 16:47

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36146398)
My bill lists landline at £19.99 per month :mad:

Mine isn’t broken down by service…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...2&d=1676911562

djmagnifique 20-02-2023 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146417)
Mine isn’t broken down by service…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...2&d=1676911562

Same for me. I'd love to be able to see a fully itemised bill again.

esdxc37 20-02-2023 22:18

I Retired from virgin in 2019.
In a meeting with a pretty senior manager from HQ he waxed lyrical about all the vm services and paid particular attention to the landline. He called it the golden money tree as it needed no maintenance and ran itself. he said this was never to be mentioned outside this room.
I think that says it all about the landline service they still charge £19.99 pm for.