Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Important: Your phone service is changing (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711644)

techguyone 18-01-2023 11:13

Important: Your phone service is changing

I just had this email:

Quote:

On 13 April your current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. We will send you an adapter in the post which you’ll need to use to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub so you can make and receive phone calls over our fibre network.
What you need to do
Keep an eye out for the adapter. It'll come with simple step-by-step instructions to help you get it set up. You’ll need to do this on or after 13 April.
Do you have any connected devices?
In the unlikely event there’s a power cut or a fibre network disruption, you won’t be able to make or receive calls and most connected devices (such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, a telecare device, or other phones connected to extension sockets) will be affected.
You’ll also need to contact your device provider and let them know about the switch to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
I'm on modem mode, how am I supposed to connect my adaptor when only 1 port is usable (and it's connected to my mesh) or can I connect the adaptor to a spare ethernet port on another mesh unit? (is the adapter ethernet?)

Or does this mean bye bye landline - bit concerned.

BenMcr 18-01-2023 11:14

Re: Important: Your phone service is changing

The two 'TEL' phone sockets on the back of the Hub are separate to the Ethernet ports and work in both Hub mode and Modem mode.

techguyone 18-01-2023 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143870)
The two 'TEL' phone sockets on the back of the Hub are separate to the Ethernet ports and work in both Hub mode and Modem mode.

OK, but can I use one of the ethernets on a mesh unit? the hub was never sited to facilitate a phone as well.

BenMcr 18-01-2023 11:22

No, it has to be one of the 'TEL' sockets on the Hub. Those sockets support standard phone cabling.

Ms NTL 18-01-2023 12:22

VM can install a back up battery for you so that in case of a fault with the Hub the phone can still be used to make emergency calls.

ianch99 18-01-2023 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36143876)
VM can install a back up battery for you so that in case of a fault with the Hub the phone can still be used to make emergency calls.

I find this post very funny :D Well put ..

Inactive Digital 18-01-2023 13:32

What happens if a customer doesn't want their phone and router in the same room?

BenMcr 18-01-2023 13:59

They can use a DECT wireless handset, use standard phone cabling to extend from the Hub, or Virgin Media can go out to amend the wiring if a customer doesn't want to do either of those.

Paul 18-01-2023 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36143869)

When this happens around here, I will probably get rid of the phone line, as it will become no more useful than the various mobile connections I have (in fact, less useful, since they will still work in a power cut).

The question is, can this be done mid contract, without any cancellation charge ? [since they are making the change].

Jaymoss 18-01-2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36143893)
When this happens around here, I will probably get rid of the phone line, as it will become no more useful than the various mobile connections I have (in fact, less useful, since they will still work in a power cut).

The question is, can this be done mid contract, without any cancellation charge ? [since they are making the change].

in my experience I have been allowed to change services mid contract on the grounds the contract is renewed. Not sure if this would be the case.

Itshim 18-01-2023 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36143893)

See what you say will the price reduce if you or I decided to get rid of it. Out of contract and have have no use of that type of phone :erm:

Jaymoss 18-01-2023 15:18

got rid of my landline when VM stopped penalising customers for not having one

Inactive Digital 18-01-2023 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143890)
They can use a DECT wireless handset, use standard phone cabling to extend from the Hub, or Virgin Media can go out to amend the wiring if a customer doesn't want to do either of those.

Interesting, thanks. Our landline is in the home office, tucked away and only receiving rare calls from elderly relatives, whereas the router is in the lounge so good to know the options as I'm probably not too far away from techguyone so it could affect me soon.

techguyone 18-01-2023 17:14

My contract is up in Feb, I barely use TV, I might just take the opportunity to go Internet only, my mobile signal is crap but I use Wi-Fi Calling anyway, I might save a few quid.

Media Boy UK 18-01-2023 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36143869)
I just had this email:

I'm on modem mode, how am I supposed to connect my adaptor when only 1 port is usable (and it's connected to my mesh) or can I connect the adaptor to a spare ethernet port on another mesh unit? (is the adapter ethernet?)

More information at:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...h-p/Switchover

RichardCoulter 18-01-2023 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143890)

Do you know if Virgin will charge to amend the wiring in these circumstances?

BenMcr 19-01-2023 10:11

Not as far as I know.

Mr K 19-01-2023 10:22

Just stick with a SHUB2ac, then they can't downgrade your phoneline. :)

BenMcr 19-01-2023 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143947)
Just stick with a SHUB2ac, then they can't downgrade your phoneline.

It can - it'll be turn it off.

Mr K 19-01-2023 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143948)
It can - it'll be turn it off.

They'd be in breach of contract if they haven't bothered to supply anything newer. Existing customers go swivel, as ever.

techguyone 19-01-2023 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143952)
They'd be in breach of contract if they haven't bothered to supply anything newer. Existing customers go swivel, as ever.

On that note I wonder if it would be worth just cancelling and letting my wife join as a new customer and get a better deal that way (or is something marked on the address to make that not possible)

BenMcr 19-01-2023 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143952)

They send you a Hub 3, 4 or 5 to support the phone service. If you don't install it then they can't provide the phone service to the 2ac, so the alternative is to disconnect the line as Virgin Media are physically turning off the kit that runs the analogue lines.

tweetiepooh 19-01-2023 12:47

Our line comes in, the coax goes one way to the Tivo/SHubs, the twisted pair goes the other way to sets of sockets from which our phones and devices are plugged in. We have one device powered off the phone line, one old wired phone for emergencies and the wireless set.

Ms NTL 19-01-2023 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143946)
Not as far as I know.

In the community site, the mods said that VM will do so.

nodrogd 27-01-2023 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36143964)
In the community site, the mods said that VM will do so.

Had my line changed over in November. Hub on 1st floor, master socket on Ground Floor. Used to have 2 lines with NTL, 1 now disused to 1st Floor. Tech came & spliced the unused line to the one still in use at the omnibox & connected the old 1st floor master socket to the hub.

Works perfectly & no charges for the work.

Mr K 27-01-2023 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36144540)
Had my line changed over in November. Hub on 1st floor, master socket on Ground Floor. Used to have 2 lines with NTL, 1 now disused to 1st Floor. Tech came & spliced the unused line to the one still in use at the omnibox & connected the old 1st floor master socket to the hub.

Works perfectly & no charges for the work.

It won't work perfectly if your bb falls over, where as an independent phone line would.

pip08456 28-01-2023 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144541)
It won't work perfectly if your bb falls over, where as an independent phone line would.

As is the same with every ISP and phone provider. Welcome to the future.

Paul 28-01-2023 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144541)

That depends on why your BB fell over, a cable fault is just as likely to take the phone out as well.

Maggy 28-01-2023 09:53

It's already changed.VM removed the telephone connection.Left with BB and TV.

BenMcr 28-01-2023 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36144553)
That depends on why your BB fell over, a cable fault is just as likely to take the phone out as well.

And Virgin Media will usually only patch or replace the coax now anyway and convert the phone at the same time.

Itshim 28-01-2023 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36144570)
It's already changed.VM removed the telephone connection.Left with BB and TV.

Did the cost go down ? Betting it didn't !

pip08456 28-01-2023 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36144606)

Why would it?

OLD BOY 28-01-2023 19:44

People on this forum don’t cope well with change, do they? :D

I’m surprised that so many have converted to colour TV…

Maggy 29-01-2023 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36144606)

Nope. Didn’t expect it to. Prices only ever go up it seems to me.

Jaymoss 29-01-2023 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36144637)
Nope. Didn’t expect it to. Prices only ever go up it seems to me.

Except for Technology

QLED TVs for example lot cheaper now and SSDs another good example

Also if you do consider Mobile tariffs for example I get unlimited minutes and texts for £21 per month which includes a £400 phone so my calls text and data costs less than a tenner. Go back 20 years and you would have been paying 40p per minute an 10p per text so 20 mins of calls and 20 texts would swallow £10 and you would have no data.

Also consider land lines. There never used to inclusive packages and you could end up running up quite a bill and dial up internet before screaming.net and inclusive deals you were charged per minute so a heavy month on the net could easily cost £100

So if you take all that into consideration Call charges are still a lot cheaper now than they were 20+ years ago

Itshim 29-01-2023 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36144611)
Why would it?

My bill shows a charge of £19 per month for my lineline , no landline no charge ! No hope

techguyone 29-01-2023 19:06

Am I correct in thinking I have a 14 day cooling off period after negotiating, with no penalty?

Dude111 30-01-2023 04:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone
Or does this mean bye bye landline...

I hope not!!

Thats horrible,im sorry........

tweetiepooh 30-01-2023 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36144614)
People on this forum don’t cope well with change, do they? :D

I’m surprised that so many have converted to colour TV…

It's in colour!!!!??? My TV is just grey and black.

Dude111 30-01-2023 19:04

Landline service is 1000% better than this digital crap by the cable company!!

I was at my friends the other day and he still on the same DMS-100 switch I was on when I lived in that neighbourhood......

Abolutely beautiful.... You press a key and the # hears it instantly...... Ya press a key on time warner crap we have at my house and its 1/2 second delay!!

Absolute rubbish....

admars 15-02-2023 12:53

just had an email to say this comes into effect 11th May, I assume they have some way to justify charging you line rental even thought you're not using the line, for the "admin" etc for the "new" system :(

My parents live locally, only have a phone through Virgin, no internet or cable TV (they had cable years and years ago but cancelled it, and think about getting internet now and again) so what happens to them?

BenMcr 15-02-2023 12:56

You're still using specific technology that runs the phone service that's separate to the Fibre service so costs to run that still apply.

Customers with no broadband get moved over onto a Hub with no broadband or WiFi enabled.

techguyone 15-02-2023 14:11

In the end I zapped all my TV & phoneline. My pocket thanked me (I also got rid of TV licence too)

Itshim 15-02-2023 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146034)
You're still using specific technology that runs the phone service that's separate to the Fibre service

So if you don't want the phone service , and it is separate it can be disconnected . I don't pay open reach or anyone else for a line I don't use but it is in my home :erm:

BenMcr 15-02-2023 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36146058)
So if you don't want the phone service , and it is separate it can be disconnected

Yes. Virgin Media have never forced you to have a home phone to get broadband or TV.

The Hub based lines can also be switched off separately to having Virgin Fibre broadband.

techguyone 16-02-2023 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146084)
Yes. Virgin Media have never forced you to have a home phone to get broadband or TV.

The Hub based lines can also be switched off separately to having Virgin Fibre broadband.

They do however penalise you if you only have part of the complete package (phone/TV/Broadband) with higher pricing.

Itshim 16-02-2023 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146084)

Please tell your agents , every time I have said I don't want a phone line the answer come down too is hard luck :D

Chrysalis 16-02-2023 14:32

Do people still use landlines at home in 2023?

Whatever provider I have used BT based services or VM, I have never had anything as reliable as my mobile phone, covered by multiple masts so redundancy, always worked in power cuts as well, plus works when I leave home.

But ignoring all this when landlines providers lost it and started silly things like connection fee's I would have thought they killed off their own services from the sheer cost of using it?

VOIP which is the replacement, I would like to think brings costs closer to using a mobile phone? So no more connection fees, line rental etc?

BenMcr 16-02-2023 14:55

Currently both Virgin Media and Openreach based providers charge line rental for home phone services.

When all customers are moved over to IP based lines, the pricing structures may change, but that's a while off yet.

heero_yuy 16-02-2023 17:30

I would guess that it'll be re-branded as a service charge.

admars 16-02-2023 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 36146142)
Do people still use landlines at home in 2023?

I think like a lot of ppl we receive calls from

a) my parents
b) the in laws
c) nuisance

dentist and gp might use landline as well, but that's about it.

going to be a bit of pain, as router is in opposite corner of lounge to where the phone socket is

Itshim 16-02-2023 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146147)
Currently both Virgin Media and Openreach based providers charge line rental for home phone services.

When all customers are moved over to IP based lines, the pricing structures may change, but that's a while off yet.

I repeat I have an openreach line to my house , even have/ had a number , have not used for years so have no idea if it is still live, clearly has no service as such. However it is costing nothing to physically leave it there. Perhaps I should charge them rent :D

BenMcr 16-02-2023 21:54

OK. I don't understand what point you're making there. If you had active services on the openreach landline you'd be charged for the service.

If you didn't have an active Virgin Media landline you wouldn't be charged for it.

Itshim 19-02-2023 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36146176)
OK. I don't understand what point you're making there. If you had active services on the openreach landline you'd be charged for the service.

If you didn't have an active Virgin Media landline you wouldn't be charged for it.

My point, I repeat is, when I say I don't want it I am told hard luck you are stuck with it .

copernob 20-02-2023 02:01

So I have a phone Downstairs and a Phone Upstairs so How on earth do I plug both phones in ?? Not that I use them any more as all I get on them is SCAM calls.

If I cancel Home Phone do I still have to pay that Stupid £19:99 ??? THANKS

Mr K 20-02-2023 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 36146351)
So I have a phone Downstairs and a Phone Upstairs so How on earth do I plug both phones in ?? Not that I use them any more as all I get on them is SCAM calls.

If I cancel Home Phone do I still have to pay that Stupid £19:99 ??? THANKS

I don't think the phone adds much if anything to your bill. At 24p a minute if you dare to make call, that's all they need

. I guess most would use wireless phones now so you'd just need one downstairs near the hub plugged in. Always best to have one phone that is wired and not reliant on your BB though. I won't be changing to voip till forced. My hubs too old for it anyway, so I won't be changing that either !

Itshim 20-02-2023 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36146365)
I don't think the phone adds much if anything to your bill. At 24p a minute if you dare to make call, that's all they need

. I guess most would use wireless phones now so you'd just need one downstairs near the hub plugged in. Always best to have one phone that is wired and not reliant on your BB though. I won't be changing to voip till forced. My hubs too old for it anyway, so I won't be changing that either !

My bill lists landline at £19.99 per month :mad:

Hugh 20-02-2023 16:47

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36146398)
My bill lists landline at £19.99 per month :mad:

Mine isn’t broken down by service…

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...2&d=1676911562

djmagnifique 20-02-2023 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146417)

Same for me. I'd love to be able to see a fully itemised bill again.

esdxc37 20-02-2023 22:18

I Retired from virgin in 2019.
In a meeting with a pretty senior manager from HQ he waxed lyrical about all the vm services and paid particular attention to the landline. He called it the golden money tree as it needed no maintenance and ran itself. he said this was never to be mentioned outside this room.
I think that says it all about the landline service they still charge £19.99 pm for.

Paul 20-02-2023 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdxc37 (Post 36146472)
as it needed no maintenance and ran itself. he said this was never to be mentioned outside this room.

Sounds like a typical clueless manager. :erm:
Its true that digital exchanges require less maintenance (Nottingham runs System X I think) but they do of course still require it. Like all electronics, things can fail, plus of course, so can the connectivity to the end user.

Mr K 21-02-2023 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146417)

You're being over charged there Hugh. I'm paying £68 for the same package, plus extra tv box, and that's after the current price rise. Get on that land line and give them hell ! ;)

Hugh 21-02-2023 09:39

I’m happy with the deal I’ve got…

admars 21-02-2023 20:21

so, i got a letter to ring them to arrange for new hub to be delivered, only had this one a few months - hub 4!

so eventually spoke to someone was on hold for 10 minutes, to be told they'd send me a text to arrange an engineer! i don't need an engineer, i can do the self install, well i think i can, i normally do :)

maybe i should have waited to 24th march, and tried to make a call to go to right dept?

Mad Max 22-03-2023 19:09

This VOIP service is shite, every time my wife phones her mum the call lasts for about 5 minutes before it cuts off and she has to redial and make the call again, absolute rubbish service.

spiderplant 22-03-2023 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36148624)
This VOIP service is shite, every time my wife phones her mum the call lasts for about 5 minutes before it cuts off and she has to redial and make the call again, absolute rubbish service.

Have you reported it?

Jaymoss 22-03-2023 20:37

Quote:

Does her Mum have whatsapp? I been using that to call my Daughter and it is great quality call

Mr K 22-03-2023 20:56

Quote:

I'd gladly pay extra for a phone service that would cut off my Mother in law after 5 mins.

Mad Max 26-03-2023 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36148628)
I'd gladly pay extra for a phone service that would cut off my Mother in law after 5 mins.

:D

SnoopZ 20-04-2023 12:38

My phone line has had no dial tone for a month and I finally got around to getting it fixed today, apparently it was dead at the exchange so the engineer has run it through my broadband Hub5, as I never use the land line I don't mind as I plan to eventually cancel it.

Itshim 20-04-2023 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdxc37 (Post 36146472)
I Retired from virgin in 2019.
In a meeting with a pretty senior manager from HQ he waxed lyrical about all the vm services and paid particular attention to the landline. He called it the golden money tree as it needed no maintenance and ran itself. he said this was never to be mentioned outside this room.
I think that says it all about the landline service they still charge £19.99 pm for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36150198)
I never use the land line I don't mind as I plan to eventually cancel it.

Good luck with that, being trying to do for the last three contract renewals, yes I know what Ben says but failed each time:(

techguyone 20-04-2023 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150216)
Good luck with that, being trying to do for the last three contract renewals, yes I know what Ben says but failed each time:(

It's easy enough, I did it, I went to a BB only (as I didn't want TV either)

SnoopZ 20-04-2023 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150216)

I'm out of contract so it'll be easy, I plan to drop to broadband only.

SnoopZ 12-08-2023 13:13

So lost power for 15mins, this meant I lost access to my phone line too but the power outage appeared to reduce the power to my mobile transmitter making it next to useless, I was standing upstairs with the phone hanging out the window trying to get some kind of a signal...... I never got a usable one.

So....... This digital phone line is an awesome technological advancement in technology..... Whoever came up with it should be taken outside and shat on and denied any form of internet access for life. :rolleyes:

Anyway this is not the stress I needed when my 81 year old father just got admitted to hospital at 5am last night, so I affectively had no contact with family for an update.

Paul 12-08-2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36158447)
So lost power for 15mins, this meant I lost access to my phone line too but the power outage appeared to reduce the power to my mobile transmitter making it next to useless

Probably everyone was ringing everyone else saying "has your power gone off ?"

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

JFYI, a loss of power has killed my phone for about the last 15 years since I had a DECT multi handset system with base station, no power means that stops working, so its very old news to me. I now have no landline at all, got rid of it when my contract was up.

bbxxl 18-08-2023 10:42

Only just found this thread.
I use my landline to phone my father every day. It worked Sunday and didn’t Monday so I rang from my mobile, last time I tried that a couple of years ago he couldn’t hear me which is why I use the landline. It still didn’t work Tuesday evening so I reported it Wednesday. Engineer came out and fixed it yesterday (a problem at the main box) and I mentioned about having to change to using the hub. He said they were rolling it out but didn’t seem to think it was imminent here.

Itshim 18-08-2023 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36158856)
Only just found this thread.
I use my landline to phone my father every day. It worked Sunday and didn’t Monday so I rang from my mobile, last time I tried that a couple of years ago he couldn’t hear me which is why I use the landline. It still didn’t work Tuesday evening so I reported it Wednesday. Engineer came out and fixed it yesterday (a problem at the main box) and I mentioned about having to change to using the hub. He said they were rolling it out but didn’t seem to think it was imminent here.

Have had 2 emails and even more texts telling me when it's happening and asking me to confirm it's ok . Haven't even got the phone connected anymore so really don't care :D

Taf 22-08-2023 21:02

The mud has cleared from my eyes and I now understand how the emergency backup system works. You have to keep it charged!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Mr K 22-08-2023 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36159036)
The mud has cleared from my eyes and I now understand how the emergency backup system works. You have to keep it charged!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

The instructions don't seem to mention a Hub2ac. I'll be gutted if I miss out on this 'upgrade' ;)

Paul 23-08-2023 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36159037)
The instructions don't seem to mention a Hub2ac. I'll be gutted if I miss out on this 'upgrade' ;)

The only thing you'll miss out on is having a phone line at all, it'll simply stop working.

Mr K 23-08-2023 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36159044)
The only thing you'll miss out on is having a phone line at all, it'll simply stop working.

Then I'll simply stop paying for a non existent phone service. They've never offered to upgrade my hub.

joglynne 23-08-2023 10:15

You could end up paying the same amount. Reducing the services you subscribe to may even increase what you pay as VM will be loosing the telephone rental.

BenMcr 23-08-2023 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36159047)
Then I'll simply stop paying for a non existent phone service. They've never offered to upgrade my hub.

You'll be told when you have to migrate and offered a Hub swap at that point.

Or if your current line stops working the fix will likely be the swap as it's increasingly difficult to fix the analogue lines.

Mr K 24-08-2023 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36159087)
You'll be told when you have to migrate and offered a Hub swap at that point.

Or if your current line stops working the fix will likely be the swap as it's increasingly difficult to fix the analogue lines.

Thanks for that info. Will they also be offering to rewire phone extensions throught the house or is that something I'll have to chase/ do myself?

It is a downgrade whichever you look at it. Landlines are a lot less robust as result. I just dislike the term 'upgrade' when it's clearly not.

SnoopZ 24-08-2023 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36159100)
Thanks for that info. Will they also be offering to rewire phone extensions throught the house or is that something I'll have to chase/ do myself?

It is a downgrade whichever you look at it. Landlines are a lot less robust as result. I just dislike the term 'upgrade' when it's clearly not.

When my line became faulty at the exchange I had to move my landline phone and put it next to the hub.

techguyone 24-08-2023 10:43

I've had to move my main landline next to the hub, however with it being a DECT system the other units can still remain where they are.

It's another annoyance deigned to save VM money and make landlines worse. First it was mobiles using 'Wi-Fi calling' because in many places the mobile signal is shocking (my own address included) so now if my internet is down I can't use my mobile.
And now, they've done the same with Landlines. Marvellous isn't it. Upgrade my arse.

BenMcr 24-08-2023 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159112)
First it was mobiles using 'Wi-Fi calling' because in many places the mobile signal is shocking (my own address included) so now if my internet is down I can't use my mobile.

Voice over WiFi is part of a mobile spec that also includes Voice over LTE - it moves the voice calls to IP delivery and means you can continue to make voice calls once 2G and 3G signals get switched off.

Quote:

And now, they've done the same with Landlines. Marvellous isn't it. Upgrade my arse.
I'd be interested in knowing how you'd expect Openreach or Virgin Media to provide analogue phone services using kit that no-one is making spare parts for or over a full fibre-to-the-Hub connection.

techguyone 24-08-2023 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36159113)
Voice over WiFi is part of a mobile spec that also includes Voice over LTE - it moves the voice calls to IP delivery and means you can continue to make voice calls once 2G and 3G signals get switched off.

I'd be interested in knowing how you'd expect Openreach or Virgin Media to provide analogue phone services using kit that no-one is making spare parts for or over a full fibre-to-the-Hub connection.

Yea I get all that, it doesn't get away from the fact the service is less resilient and useful as a result though. Lose the broadband connection, lose everything.

SnoopZ 24-08-2023 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159114)
Yea I get all that, it doesn't get away from the fact the service is less resilient and useful as a result though. Lose the broadband connection, lose everything.

Can you not change mobile provider for better signal?

techguyone 24-08-2023 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36159116)
Can you not change mobile provider for better signal?

Sadly no, it's a black spot, it's not even rural.

SnoopZ 24-08-2023 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159117)
Sadly no, it's a black spot, it's not even rural.

Maybe you can get a booster?

techguyone 24-08-2023 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36159119)
Maybe you can get a booster?

They've all stopped them, I used to have a EE signal Box and it was awesome, but everyone everywhere are tightening their belts and withdrawing services.

BenMcr 24-08-2023 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159114)

All the consumer network sold mobile booster kit also used broadband to connect back to the mobile provider. Just instead of WiFi signal they broadcast a 3G one. So you still have the same dependency.

Even if they still worked, as 3G is being switched off soon anyways so they'd have to be withdrawn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 36159120)
They've all stopped them, I used to have a EE signal Box and it was awesome, but everyone everywhere are tightening their belts and withdrawing services.

You can buy a third party repeater https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...e-phone-signal

SnoopZ 24-08-2023 19:19

I saw that earlier, over £1000.

Mr K 19-12-2023 07:32

Looks like the forced voip switchover is on pause. Hope for landlines yet if you haven't already been downgraded.

Quote:

Virgin Media spokesman said: “In line with the agreed commitments, we have paused switchovers as we review our processes to further support consumers, building on the range of measures that we already have in place.”

The latest issues come after elderly people were left unable to dial 999 during storms last year, which caused an internet blackout impacting digital phone lines.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tal-landlines/

Mobile networks are unlikely to function for more than three hours (probably less) if power supplies fail, so they're no back up.

Rillington 28-12-2023 14:42

That's good to hear.

I believe that BT/EE will force this by the end of 2025 but whether this is BT Openreach or whether it is just BT/EE is something I'm not clear about.

Paul 28-12-2023 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36166830)
Mobile networks are unlikely to function for more than three hours (probably less) if power supplies fail, so they're no back up.

We had a power failure last night, for about 15 minutes.
HV tripped, so took out a large area (about 90,000 homes).
There was no mobile service, it obviously took out all the local cell towers as well.