Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How do I add a short cut (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711110)

Ken W 14-06-2022 10:10

How do I add a short cut

am about to purchase a new computer.

How do I add a shortcut, for example, Google, BBC etcetera

Jaymoss 14-06-2022 10:14

Re: How do I add a shoot cut

Highlight the url in the address bar and drag it to the desktop or right click / new / shortcut and add url then name it.

If the computer has win 11 you may need to right click / more options / new / shortcut

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I just add the ones I use most to the browsers quick launch. ( I use Brave)

Ken W 14-06-2022 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36125212)
Highlight the url in the address bar and drag it to the desktop or right click / new / shortcut and add url then name it.

If the computer has win 11 you may need to right click / more options / new / shortcut

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I just add the ones I use most to the browsers quick launch. ( I use Brave)

A good tip I must add a browser. Thanks

Jaymoss 14-06-2022 10:39

It should have Edge

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Let us see what computer you are buying because I may be able to find you a better deal. There are often some good ones on HUKD all levels from a couple of hundred quid to thousands

Ken W 15-06-2022 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36125216)
It should have Edge

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Let us see what computer you are buying because I may be able to find you a better deal. There are often some good ones on HUKD all levels from a couple of hundred quid to thousands

It will be a custom, Windows, 220 meg SSD, 1 gig SATA, i5 or greater Intel processor,

Jaymoss 15-06-2022 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36125370)
It will be a custom, Windows, 220 meg SSD, 1 gig SATA, i5 or greater Intel processor,

I think you may have got the terms incorrect there. You will ned 240GB SSD with a 1TB Sata although I would suggest if you can afford it a 1TB SSD instead. You will want at least 8GB Ram. Also if you are not buying a graphics card you would be better off with a Ryzen G processor and the on chip graphics are better with AMD

Ken W 15-06-2022 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36125372)
I think you may have got the terms incorrect there. You will ned 240GB SSD with a 1TB Sata although I would suggest if you can afford it a 1TB SSD instead. You will want at least 8GB Ram. Also if you are not buying a graphics card you would be better off with a Ryzen G processor and the on chip graphics are better with AMD

You are correct, I got my meg and gig mixed up! The 240Gig SSD will house my Window and applications, the 1 TB SATA will house my data so an SSD is not needed there, and yes I will have at least 8GB of RAM. Yes, I will need a graphics card but I have not decided which. It is likely to be the a midi tower.

Jaymoss 15-06-2022 13:19

Re: How do I add a short cut

Do you game or render media?
If you do not why do you need a dedicated card?

Reasoning for SSD over Sata
Firstly cost 1TB 3.5 Mechanical is not the sweet spot value wise. It will cost you £40 for a shingled drive SMR it could cost you £60 for a CMR drive. SMR you lose a lot of performance. You can buy the Crucial BX500 SSD for £66 for 1TB so the cost is not a massive difference
Secondly Mechanical drives noise whereas SSDs do not they also create more heat than an SSD

Dude111 21-09-2022 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss

Ya Jay I didnt realise that worked!!

All I did was click on the icon in my address bar (Beforer the URL) and drag it to my desktop!! (I just tried it to see if it would work,I hadnt done that before)