Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Britain outside the EU (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709659)

mrmistoffelees 02-09-2021 16:15

Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36091866)
An interesting point. There are crunch points coming.
31-October is one when the 3 month grace on NI expires; the court cases whenever they are re-invoked will be another.

The EU holds the trade agreement over the UK's head if we default on the NI Protocol and what's more the EU decides on whether or not the UK has defaulted.

So, the wobble point now is GB/NI trade. My understanding is that the UK intends to honour the customs border in the Irish sea, though the necessary systems appear not to be ready. However the meat products trade is likely to remain the flash point on which someone needs to bend over. I don't think Boris has the balls to stand firm after the grace extension finishes. So expect the EU to get difficult and pretend that they were always reasonable.

AKA when two organisations try to reach an economic agreement the org with the biggest economic clout generally gets to dictate the terms.

Still, I'm sure our newly agreed or soon to be agreed trade deal with the mighty economy that is New Zealand will make significant inroads into any issues we may face. Long way for the lorry drivers mind you.

Chris 02-09-2021 16:21

On the contrary - dictation only occurs when there is a gross imbalance of power or influence. At all other times there is negotiation, and give and take, and in any situation as complex as this one, size isn’t everything. The significance of individual parts of the deal, even the relatively small ones, can come to dominate for all sorts of reasons.

mrmistoffelees 02-09-2021 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36091868)
On the contrary - dictation only occurs when there is a gross imbalance of power or influence. At all other times there is negotiation, and give and take, and in any situation as complex as this one, size isn’t everything. The significance of individual parts of the deal, even the relatively small ones, can come to dominate for all sorts of reasons.

Which in this case due to economic 'power' between the EU & the UK there is. There has been a negotiation, the EU let us have some bits, but on the bits they really wanted i would hazard a guess they got their way. Just IMHO

Sephiroth 02-09-2021 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36091867)
AKA when two organisations try to reach an economic agreement the org with the biggest economic clout generally gets to dictate the terms.

Still, I'm sure our newly agreed or soon to be agreed trade deal with the mighty economy that is New Zealand will make significant inroads into any issues we may face. Long way for the lorry drivers mind you.

Sure, but that's no reason to be ruled by them - hence Brexit.

mrmistoffelees 02-09-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sephiroth (Post 36091870)
sure, but that's no reason to be ruled by them - hence brexit.

bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

papa smurf 02-09-2021 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36091849)
Get a robotic lawnmower ;)

And put the gardener out of a job:shocked:

1andrew1 02-09-2021 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36091873)
And put the gardener out of a job:shocked:

There's always an HGV to be driven.

Taf 02-09-2021 17:40

A food order arrived in a big box today (the missus decided to pamper herself). Picked and packed in France last evening. Here with us this afternoon.

Brexit problems?

1andrew1 02-09-2021 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36091877)
A food order arrived in a big box today (the missus decided to pamper herself). Picked and packed in France last evening. Here with us this afternoon.

Brexit problems?

There should not be any at this stage. We're currently treating EU imports exactly the same as we did when we were an EU member state, so we are not inspecting them.

The new Brexit rules and inspections will commence from 1st October. You could compare and contrast by ordering a similar box in October and report back.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/webinars...-great-britain

OLD BOY 02-09-2021 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36091804)
Hang on, it wasn't a hung parliament when Boris was elected. He could of quite easily taken us out on no deal. So the question i asked last night to Sephi, I'll ask to you. Why did Boris not take us out on no deal?

Boris may have won the election with a stunning majority, but there was still nervousness in the party about leaving without a deal. It was also clear that a lot of people outside of Parliament wanted a deal. So my guess is he took the easier option of signing up to a deal so we could get out when he said we would, rather than delay leaving in order to make the necessary preparations.

I am sure it was Boris himself who said the deal was not great, but it would be easier to amend or ditch it once Brexit had been achieved. And the way the EU nonsense is playing out, I think he will be able to make the argument that a no deal is better than a bad deal, with the evidence laid out for all to see.

jfman 02-09-2021 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36091893)
Boris may have won the election with a stunning majority, but there was still nervousness in the party about leaving without a deal. It was also clear that a lot of people outside of Parliament wanted a deal. So my guess is he took the easier option of signing up to a deal so we could get out when he said we would, rather than delay leaving in order to make the necessary preparations.

I am sure it was Boris himself who said the deal was not great, but it would be easier to amend or ditch it once Brexit had been achieved. And the way the EU nonsense is playing out, I think he will be able to make the argument that a no deal is better than a bad deal, with the evidence laid out for all to see.

Historical revisionism at it’s finest here, OB. Top drawer stuff.

Sephiroth 02-09-2021 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36091893)

.. if he can regain his balls.

OLD BOY 02-09-2021 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36091847)
And good afternoon to you too

Any withdrawal agreement had to contain provisions to protect the peace in Northern Ireland that is a simple fact.

Boris knew what no deal meant, for all his gibberish & lunacy he’s not stupid.

Shenanigans are fun ;)

This is another fallacy. If a hard border was put in place, it would simply mean that the importing and exporting of goods could not take place. There is no reason why there shouldn’t be free movement of people, though.

jfman 02-09-2021 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36091897)
This is another fallacy. If a hard border was put in place, it would simply mean that the importing and exporting of goods could not take place. There is no reason why there shouldn’t be free movement of people, though.

How ironic.

Sephiroth 02-09-2021 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36091898)
How ironic.

Not at all. There is a case to be made for free movement as long as the rules to keep out/deport riff-raff are used.