Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Charlie Farley (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711871)

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 16:47

Charlie Farley

You couldn't make it up!

From today's Torygraph:

Quote:

Pledging allegiance to the King from your sofa is voluntary, says Lambeth Palace after backlash

Lambeth Palace has defended the decision to ask members of the public to pledge allegiance to the King following a backlash on social media.

In a significant break with tradition, the King has scrapped the act of hereditary peers kneeling to “pay homage” before touching the crown and kissing the monarch’s right cheek.

Instead, he has introduced a “Homage of the People” that will allow “a chorus of a million voices” to participate for the first time by joining the congregation at Westminster Abbey in declaring their allegiance to the King.

The polls show low public interest in the Coronation.

Just remind, Charlie, head of the CofE, was an adulterer (7th Commandment) and was indirectly responsible for Diana's death.

Plus, his eyes are too close together!

Ms NTL 01-05-2023 16:57

Re: Charlie Farley

The real bad news is the Aussies found that the coronation oil makes a crappy marinade for the coronation barbie. Also, the coronation quiche is lethal too, it contains broad beans that causes too much farting.

They are going republican soon.

PS Are Charlie and Camilla tampons on sale anywhere, they had a fetish with them.....

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 17:01

Having this week returned from a few weeks in Oz, that just about sums up their attitude to that idiot.

Hugh 01-05-2023 17:03

Adultery - sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than that person's current spouse.

On that note, how is John Redwood?

jfman 01-05-2023 17:08

I thought this was a thread about the bloke in Casualty at first.

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150871)
Adultery - sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than that person's current spouse.

Not the King of England.

Maggy 01-05-2023 17:16

We get an extra day off.

Paul 01-05-2023 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150868)
and was indirectly responsible for Diana's death.

How ?

Jaymoss 01-05-2023 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36150875)
How ?

Well if he had not married her to spawn the next generation or committed adultery later then it would be highly unlikely that she would have died in a car crash in Paris and that is without the conspiracy theories about her death being caused deliberately that I do actually believe

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36150875)
How ?

What Jaymoss said.

Hugh 01-05-2023 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150877)
Well if he had not married her to spawn the next generation or committed adultery later then it would be highly unlikely that she would have died in a car crash in Paris and that is without the conspiracy theories about her death being caused deliberately that I do actually believe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150878)
What Jaymoss said.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/a/img856/9090/jca.gif

Chris 01-05-2023 17:55

Quote:

You couldn't make it up!

From today's Torygraph:

Just remind, Charlie, head of the CofE, was an adulterer (7th Commandment) and was indirectly responsible for Diana's death.

Maybe best not to selectively quote the Bible unless you know what you’re doing with it.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” - from the mouth of the Man himself. Or how about “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Seeing as you’re interested in his adultery. Hint: none of the religious experts who wanted Jesus to condemn the adulterer actually picked up a stone when challenged. They all slunk off.

Also a lot of stuff about repentance, forgiveness and the like. We have no idea really how he’s dealt with all that in the well over 25 years since those events.

As for the oath of allegiance, I imagine it sounded like a great idea when they thought it up in some back office in Buckingham Palace. When you frame it as opening something to all people which was previously reserved to the nobility it even sounds quite modern and forward looking. They appear however not to have looked at the actual words they were proposing we say or thinking through what they actually mean.

It does rather lay bare the essential difference between a king and an elected president, though as a people we are so unruly I wonder whether we’d be any happier being asked to swear allegiance to the Flag, or a Republic, or some such.

Jaymoss 01-05-2023 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36150883)
Maybe best not to selectively quote the Bible unless you know what you’re doing with it.

But then there is Matthew 5 the good old sermon on the mount, isn't there that isn't quite as forgiving or tame

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 18:14

I knew what I was doing with my reference to the Bible.

Charlie is head of the CoE and an adulterer.

jfman 01-05-2023 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150881)
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

The butterfly effect.

Hugh 01-05-2023 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150887)

I knew what I was doing with my reference to the Bible.

Charlie is head of the CoE and an adulterer.

Do you mean just like the Founder of the CoE?

Chris 01-05-2023 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150885)
But then there is Matthew 5 the good old sermon on the mount, isn't there that isn't quite as forgiving or tame

‘Judge not’ is also from the Sermon on the Mount.

I’m not saying Jesus doesn’t expect the lives of his followers to be transformed, rather I’m saying that to point to one sinful act, no matter how egregious, and to use it to declare someone unfit for future office or responsibility, is to completely, comically, fail to grasp how that process of transformation is supposed to work.

Elsewhere, the apostle John wrote, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

This is the part Seph seems to be ignorant of. Anyone can quote a commandment. Christian life, however, is about discipleship, relationship, and a life progressively transformed. It is not a scorecard against a set of rules (and actually, the Old Testament faith of ancient Israel wasn’t that either. At no time did baldly quoting from Exodus settle anything).

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150890)
Do you mean just like the Founder of the CoE?

Head of the Church of England.

Jaymoss 01-05-2023 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36150891)
‘Judge not’ is also from the Sermon on the Mount.

I’m not saying Jesus doesn’t expect the lives of his followers to be transformed, rather I’m saying that to point to one sinful act, no matter how egregious, and to use it to declare someone unfit for future office or responsibility, is to completely, comically, fail to grasp how that process of transformation is supposed to work.

Elsewhere, the apostle John wrote, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

This is the part Seph seems to be ignorant of. Anyone can quote a commandment. Christian life, however, is about discipleship, relationship, and a life progressively transformed. It is not a scorecard against a set of rules (and actually, the Old Testament faith of ancient Israel wasn’t that either. At no time did baldly quoting from Exodus settle anything).

I do agree with you. You only have to look at what sins David committed and he was still blessed.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150892)

Henry VIII is the founder and he made a mockery of marriage

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150895)
I do agree with you. You only have to look at what sins David committed and he was still blessed.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Henry VIII is the founder and he made a mockery of marriage

Well, that's alright, then.

Hugh 01-05-2023 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150892)

Just like the Founder of the CoE…

Jaymoss 01-05-2023 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150899)
Well, that's alright, then.

I can see both sides but if I was to express a preference I would have no monarchy at all and if pressed I would rather Charlie stood down and William took his place.

Ms NTL 01-05-2023 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150870)
Having this week returned from a few weeks in Oz, that just about sums up their attitude to that idiot.

Where in Oz?

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36150904)
Where in Oz?

Canberra.

Ms NTL 01-05-2023 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150871)

Are you referring to Nikki Page or Susan Precious? If any nukie took place, is most likely after the separation/divorce.

Hugh 01-05-2023 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36150908)
Are you referring to Nikki Page or Susan Precious? If any nukie took place, is most likely after the separation/divorce.

Nikki Page - divorce happened February 2004, Redwood and Page (officially) got together June 2003 (a week after he took a mortgage out on Page’s house.

It’s still adultery until the divorce goes through…

Sephiroth 01-05-2023 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150909)
Nikki Page - divorce happened February 2004, Redwood and Page (officially) got together June 2003 (a week after he took a mortgage out on Page’s house.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Charlie Farley. But at least it's kept Hugh busy researching this crap.

Ms NTL 01-05-2023 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150909)

Thanks Hughatha!

But the wife had gone bonkers for 2-3 years before that. They were separated.

Paul 01-05-2023 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150877)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150878)
What Jaymoss said.

LOL. Have you read what you just posted, you sound nuts.

Of course, it was nothing at all to do with the press chasing her then (or the fact she no seat belt on). :rolleyes:

Hugh 02-05-2023 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150910)
Nothing whatsoever to do with Charlie Farley. But at least it's kept Hugh busy researching this crap.

But it has to do with your adultery comment…

Halcyon 02-05-2023 08:57

Blaming Diana's death on Chrales is a very very lose thread of a theory and would hardly hold up in a court of law.

The thing I have never understood is why the King or Queen up until last year were seen as the head of the church. What is special about them to make them a chuch leader?

They don't exactly do anything for the church do they?

And as has been mentioned in this thread already, Charles is not the perfect christian following christian beliefs.

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 08:58

Look, Charley married Diana while he remained in a secret relationship with Camilla.

Diana produced two children for Charles: William and the spare.

Charles dumped Diana for Camilla.

Instead of being safe at one of the palaces, Diana died in Paris.

Harry, it turns out, has been seriously damaged by this and is in turmoil - brought about by Charley’s preferences.

Charley, the unprincipled adulterer, is now King and head of the Church.

Charley is a bad’un.

Maggy 02-05-2023 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36150883)

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” - from the mouth of the Man himself. Or how about “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Seeing as you’re interested in his adultery. Hint: none of the religious experts who wanted Jesus to condemn the adulterer actually picked up a stone when challenged. They all slunk off.

Also a lot of stuff about repentance, forgiveness and the like. We have no idea really how he’s dealt with all that in the well over 25 years since those events.

As for the oath of allegiance, I imagine it sounded like a great idea when they thought it up in some back office in Buckingham Palace. When you frame it as opening something to all people which was previously reserved to the nobility it even sounds quite modern and forward looking. They appear however not to have looked at the actual words they were proposing we say or thinking through what they actually mean.

It does rather lay bare the essential difference between a king and an elected president, though as a people we are so unruly I wonder whether we’d be any happier being asked to swear allegiance to the Flag, or a Republic, or some such.

:clap:

Chris 02-05-2023 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150918)
Look, Charley married Diana while he remained in a secret relationship with Camilla.

Diana produced two children for Charles: William and the spare.

Charles dumped Diana for Camilla.

Instead of being safe at one of the palaces, Diana died in Paris.

Harry, it turns out, has been seriously damaged by this and is in turmoil - brought about by Charley’s preferences.

Charley, the unprincipled adulterer, is now King and head of the Church.

Charley is a bad’un.

You accurately describe his history but show no awareness of any process of repentance, forgiveness or reconciliation that may have occurred.

Of course, much of that would be private, so you wouldn’t be expected to know. The problem from my perspective is that you’re unwilling to allow even the possibility that it might have happened, or might be happening.

I truly hope nobody ever so totally writes you off for something you did half a lifetime ago. Or perhaps they did, and that’s why you find forgiveness of others such a difficult concept?

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 09:45

If Charley had adequately repented, Harry would not be in this turmoil and Camilla would be Consort not Queen.

Maggy 02-05-2023 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36150923)
You accurately describe his history but show no awareness of any process of repentance, forgiveness or reconciliation that may have occurred.

Of course, much of that would be private, so you wouldn’t be expected to know. The problem from my perspective is that you’re unwilling to allow even the possibility that it might have happened, or might be happening.

I truly hope nobody ever so totally writes you off for something you did half a lifetime ago. Or perhaps they did, and that’s why you find forgiveness of others such a difficult concept?

Being judgemental is so much easier for some of us sadly.

Chris 02-05-2023 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150925)

If Charley had adequately repented, Harry would not be in this turmoil and Camilla would be Consort not Queen.

I find your reasoning flawed on multiple levels.

Seeing as you’ve chosen to locate this discussion in the sphere of Christian faith, I recommend you go and read one of the most important recent works on the subject, Exclusion and Embrace by the Croatian theologian, Miroslav Volf. Having lived through the Yugoslav civil war he knows a thing or two about appalling behaviour and the cost of forgiveness.

However, seeing as I know there’s not a cat in hell’s chance of you actually doing that, I’ll sum it up in a line most relevant to what you have just posted: forgiveness and reconciliation are not the same thing, and reconciliation is by far the more difficult. The lack of reconciliation between people is by no means evidence of lack of repentance on the part of the sinner.

tweetiepooh 02-05-2023 10:45

You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But now I tell you: anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:27-28

That expands the guilty of adultery group out a bit.

But it's not that part of his life that concerns me but does he truly follow Jesus (like his mother did). At one point I believe he said that he wanted to be the defender of faith as compared to defender of THE faith. That's a big difference.

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 10:51

Forgiveness and reconciliation are different coins as you say. Charley might have repented his sordid past, but he has hardly shown it. Au contraire, he has doubled down on his sin. Hence Harry’s lack of forgiveness/reconciliation.

Charles is an awful man and he is our king and head of the church.

Jaymoss 02-05-2023 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150935)

Forgiveness and reconciliation are different coins as you say. Charley might have repented his sordid past, but he has hardly shown it. Au contraire, he has doubled down on his sin. Hence Harry’s lack of forgiveness/reconciliation.

Charles is an awful man and he is our king and head of the church.

He is not and never will be my King

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 10:54

Also, why would that fool want to be the ‘defender of faith’? They can’t all be right as to who created what? He can’t believe in all faiths? There are laws protecting people’s right to religious belief so why get stuck into what has been the most common cause of wars and violence?

tweetiepooh 02-05-2023 11:12

Religion may be the excuse for many wars and much violence but secular governments have been the ones committing the greatest genocides. And where religion is more involved it is often the abuse of religion or religion just the vehicle for incitement or involvement.
The crusades were political and militarist and used religion (or ignorance of religion) to promote action. They were not primarily religious in nature. The same is true in many situations where the men of violence will use religion to maintain the violence for their own ends.

Jaymoss 02-05-2023 11:27

I am not sure but I do not think religion is the sole excuse for any major war since the Crusades and even if you take ever single war in history up to say 1900 you will not be able to beat the grand total of deaths from WWI WWII Vietnam and Korea combined none of which had anything to do with religion

When you consider WWI killed between 15 and 22 Million people I doubt all war up to that point got even close to that figure

ianch99 02-05-2023 11:59

Quote:

You couldn't make it up!

From today's Torygraph:

Seph, you may be shocked but we are (almost) in violent agreement on this. :D

His wasn't responsible for Diana's death but his actions & infidelity added a lot to the context in which Diana found herself and, fatally, tried to escape from.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36150917)
Blaming Diana's death on Chrales is a very very lose thread of a theory and would hardly hold up in a court of law.

The thing I have never understood is why the King or Queen up until last year were seen as the head of the church. What is special about them to make them a chuch leader?

They don't exactly do anything for the church do they?

And as has been mentioned in this thread already, Charles is not the perfect christian following christian beliefs.

From my understanding, there is no Christian teaching where an obscenely wealthy individual who demands deference & fealty from others is appropriate as the Head of a Church. I may be wrong though :)

Hugh 02-05-2023 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150942)
I am not sure but I do not think religion is the sole excuse for any major war since the Crusades and even if you take ever single war in history up to say 1900 you will not be able to beat the grand total of deaths from WWI WWII Vietnam and Korea combined none of which had anything to do with religion

When you consider WWI killed between 15 and 22 Million people I doubt all war up to that point got even close to that figure

https://borgenproject.org/top-12-dea...rs-in-history/

Quote:

The Thirty Years’ War
As the name implies, the Thirty Years’ War was fought between Catholic and Protestant states in Central Europe from 1618 to 1648. The conflicts eventually drew in the great powers of Europe, resulting in one of the longest, most destructive and deadliest conflicts in European history. It is estimated that the war was responsible for the deaths of 8 million civilians and military personnel alike.
Quote:

The Dungan Revolt
The Dungan Revolt was a war fought between the Hans (Chinese ethnic group native to East Asia) and the Huis (Chinese Muslims) in 19th-century China during the Qing Dynasty. There were approximately 20 million war-related deaths, mostly caused by famine and migration brought about by the war.
Quote:

Taiping Rebellion
Yet another war in China, the Taiping Rebellion was another large-scale rebellion that was fought between 1850 and 1864. The war was fought between the Qing Dynasty and the Christian millenarian movement of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom. Although there isn’t an exact number, most estimations have the Taiping Rebellion responsible for 20-30 million deaths.
Those alone add up to 48-58 million…

Then there’s

Quote:

The Spanish Reconquista*, which began in the early 8th century and lasted for nearly 800 years, accounted for 7 million dead.
*Christians vs Muslims

Quote:

The centuries-long Crusades (1095-1291), which were known for brutality and all-out war on both sides, saw just some 3 million deaths
Quote:

While it is easy to think of the wars between the Christians and Islam as having a significantly high body count, in fact the Christians did a very good job of killing each other from the 14th to 17th centuries. Some 4 million may have been killed in the French Wars of Religion in the 16th century, while the Thirty Years' War resulted in the death of 11.5 million – and has been considered as devastating for Germany as the 20th century's World Wars! It was fought between Catholic and Protestant states in Central Europe from 1618 to 1648. The war eventually drew in the great powers of Europe, resulting in one of the longest, most destructive and deadliest conflicts in European history.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...history-162752

It’s also estimated that the Mongol Conquest deaths were between 30-60 million (1206-1324), 25 million died in the Qing v Ming Dynasty wars (1616–1662), and quite a lot more like those.

Whilst the 20th Century industrialised war, our ancestors were no slouch at it either (for various religious, dynastic, or nationalistic reasons).

Jaymoss 02-05-2023 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36150958)
https://borgenproject.org/top-12-dea...rs-in-history/

Those alone add up to 48-58 million…

Then there’s

*Christians vs Muslims

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...history-162752

It’s also estimated that the Mongol Conquest deaths were between 30-60 million (1206-1324), 25 million died in the Qing v Ming Dynasty wars (1616–1662), and quite a lot more like those.

Whilst the 20th Century industrialised war, our ancestors were no slouch at it either (for various religious, dynastic, or nationalistic reasons).

Ok so I was wrong but you see what I mean about shear volumes of death with nothing to do with religion.

TheDaddy 02-05-2023 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36150912)
LOL. Have you read what you just posted, you sound nuts.

Of course, it was nothing at all to do with the press chasing her then (or the fact she no seat belt on). :rolleyes:

And that's the key point certain individuals miss, if she'd been wearing a seat belt she'd probably be alive, like another passenger in the car is, the best assassins the world can proffer and after all that planning they'd leave something to chance like a seat belt :spin:

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 14:29

…. and she wouldn’t have been in that car if Charley hadn’t been stiffing her all those years. Hence my use of the word “indirectly”.

pip08456 02-05-2023 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150987)
…. and she wouldn’t have been in that car if Charley hadn’t been stiffing her all those years. Hence my use of the word “indirectly”.

Who's Harry's father???

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36150995)
Who's Harry's father???

Charley. Harry’s eyes are also close together in the same way.

ianch99 02-05-2023 15:15

Quote:

I agree

WorldlyDigital 02-05-2023 15:47

The low interest shown in the coronation is indicative of things changing and moving away from the traditions that we expect.

We are doing some articles on the coronation this week and I will ensure this features.

See Day 1's article, any feedback welcomed :-)

ianch99 02-05-2023 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldlyDigital (Post 36151004)
The low interest shown in the coronation is indicative of things changing and moving away from the traditions that we expect.

We are doing some articles on the coronation this week and I will ensure this features.

See Day 1's article, any feedback welcomed :-)

You have some strange sentences in this paragraph:

Quote:

Reasons for Coronation

The coronation of a monarch serves several purposes. First and foremost, it legitimizes the authority of the new ruler. It is a way of ensuring that the monarch has the support of the people and the church.

The coronation also serves as a way of demonstrating the monarch’s power and authority. It is a highly symbolic event that is meant to inspire awe and respect in the people.

Finally, the coronation is a way of reinforcing the monarch’s duty to uphold the laws and traditions of the realm. The monarch takes an oath during the ceremony to protect and defend the country, to govern with justice and mercy, and to maintain the laws and customs of the land.

In addition, the coronation is a way of celebrating the ascension of a new monarch to the throne. It is a time of great pomp and pageantry, with processions, music, and festivities. The coronation is also an opportunity for the monarch to connect with the people and to inspire loyalty and devotion.

The coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla is set to be an historic event, steeped in tradition and ceremony. The coronation ceremony is a complex and highly symbolic event that has evolved over centuries. It serves several purposes, including legitimizing the authority of the monarch, demonstrating the monarch’s power and authority, and reinforcing the monarch’s duty to uphold the laws and traditions of the realm. The coronation is also a time of celebration and festivity, with processions, music, and festivities.
- the King reigns but does not rule.
- the coronation does not "ensure" the support of the people. It may hope to increase but that would be as far as it goes
- suggest you are overdoing the "inspiring awe & respect" bit :)
- he can't protect or defend the country, nor govern it with or without the merciful part
- hoping for "loyalty and devotion" is a bit of a log shot to be fair

Ms NTL 02-05-2023 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36150995)
Who's Harry's father???

It could be James Hewitt but to me Harry takes his looks from the Corgis.

WorldlyDigital 02-05-2023 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36151006)

- the coronation does not "ensure" the support of the people. It may hope to increase but that would be as far as it goes
- he can't protect or defend the country, nor govern it with or without the merciful part

__________________________________________________ ____

Thanks for the feedback we really appreciate your comments and they have spawned other thoughts regarding tradition. I think the way that you have inferred to down play the emotional strength in some of the sentences really does go to show the tradition and loss of interest in the monarchy over the last few years/decades.

Thanks again for your insight. Much appreciated.

Chris 02-05-2023 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36151006)

Also, we are centuries past the point where the new king wasn’t king until crowned. Succession is determined by Parliament, thanks to the Bill of Rights (1689), the Act of Settlement (1701) and various subsequent amendments.

Thanks to the rules of succession set out in these acts, Charles became Heir Apparent at the same time his mother became Queen, and became King the moment she died.

ianch99 02-05-2023 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36151015)
Also, we are centuries past the point where the new king wasn’t king until crowned. Succession is determined by Parliament, thanks to the Bill of Rights (1689), the Act of Settlement (1701) and various subsequent amendments.

Thanks to the rules of succession set out in these acts, Charles became Heir Apparent at the same time his mother became Queen, and became King the moment she died.

I think that this is an important point. The coronation is just the flag waving and crown carriage-ing bit. No significant meaning in the real world for the vast majority of the country.

Chris 02-05-2023 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36150938)
Also, why would that fool want to be the ‘defender of faith’? They can’t all be right as to who created what? He can’t believe in all faiths? There are laws protecting people’s right to religious belief so why get stuck into what has been the most common cause of wars and violence?

Much depends on exactly how it’s framed during the coronation service next week. If we are presented with a multi-faith act of worship then we have been left with a meaningless muddle that won’t be true to the confession of any religion represented there. I would be surprised if any senior Muslim or Sikh invited to the coronation would be happy with that, even if some of the liberal twits in the Church of England hierarchy are.

For what it’s worth, I know Archbishop Justin to be an evangelical and while he will be keen to allow the reality of multicultural Britain to be demonstrated I do not believe he will allow the impression that the service is one in which all gods are recognised and invoked.

‘Defender of Faith’ could be an intellectually muddled attempt to construct a single understanding of faith and deity out of all major religions, and actually I suspect that in his youth that’s probably where Charles was leaning. Today, however, I suspect it will be presented to us as a part of a constitutional responsibility to the freedom and wellbeing of all people regardless of their beliefs.

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36151019)
Much depends on exactly how it’s framed during the coronation service next week. If we are presented with a multi-faith act of worship then we have been left with a meaningless muddle that won’t be true to the confession of any religion represented there. I would be surprised if any senior Muslim or Sikh invited to the coronation would be happy with that, even if some of the liberal twits in the Church of England hierarchy are.

For what it’s worth, I know Archbishop Justin to be an evangelical and while he will be keen to allow the reality of multicultural Britain to be demonstrated I do not believe he will allow the impression that the service is one in which all gods are recognised and invoked.

‘Defender of Faith’ could be an intellectually muddled attempt to construct a single understanding of faith and deity out of all major religions, and actually I suspect that in his youth that’s probably where Charles was leaning. Today, however, I suspect it will be presented to us as a part of a constitutional responsibility to the freedom and wellbeing of all people regardless of their beliefs.

I accept your rationale.

Paul 02-05-2023 18:16

Quote:

She was in it because she was returning to the apartment of Dodi Fayed (her apparent lover).

She died because she wasnt wearing a seat belt, when the car she was in (driven by a drunken driver, at twice the speed limit) crashed into a pillar, while apparently being persued by members of the press.

While I dont particularly care for Charles, blaming him for something he had nothing to do with is utter nonsense.

Ms NTL 02-05-2023 18:19

In defence of Charlie, as head of CofE, he ain't Dalai Lama sucking kid's tongues...

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36151023)
She was in it because she was returning to the apartment of Dodi Fayed (her apparent lover).

She died because she wasnt wearing a seat belt, when the car she was in (driven by a drunken driver, at twice the speed limit) crashed into a pillar, while apparently being persued by members of the press.

While I dont particularly care for Charles, blaming him for something he had nothing to do with is utter nonsense.

Charles is indirectly responsible for Diana's death for the reasons I have provided.

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36151024)
In defence of Charlie, as head of CofE, he ain't Dalai Lama sucking kid's tongues...

That's hardly a defence for Charlie! Anyway, cut some slack for the Dalai Lama.

pip08456 02-05-2023 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36151019)

The title of Defender of The Faith was bestowed on Henry VII for his defence of the Catholic Church against the trreat of Martin Luther. The title has been passed down to every monarch since. It has nothing to do with tolerance of other religions and certainly nothing to do with the CoE.

GrimUpNorth 02-05-2023 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151027)
Charles is indirectly responsible for Diana's death for the reasons I have provided.

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

That's hardly a defence for Charlie! Anyway, cut some slack for the Dalai Lama.

Well then we (the public) are also indirectly responsible because if nobody gave a toss about them the press would have had no reason to be chasing them. I doubt Charles spends much of his time reading the gutter press so we must be more responsible than he was?

TheDaddy 02-05-2023 20:08

Quote:

So not what Jaymoss said then, mind you considering you said religion was the most common cause of wars earlier in the thread I shouldn't be to surprised

ianch99 02-05-2023 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36151040)
Well then we (the public) are also indirectly responsible because if nobody gave a toss about them the press would have had no reason to be chasing them. I doubt Charles spends much of his time reading the gutter press so we must be more responsible than he was?

I think what Seph is driving at is that if Charles had not slept with his original girlfriend after marrying Diana, had paid attention to his wife's needs, etc. i.e. done his "duty" as it were, Diana would not have been in that car with or without a seatbelt.

It is ironic as I thought that the Windsor's were big on "duty" ...

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36151046)
I think what Seph is driving at is that if Charles had not slept with his original girlfriend after marrying Diana, had paid attention to his wife's needs, etc. i.e. done his "duty" as it were, Diana would not have been in that car with or without a seatbelt.

Exactamundo.

GrimUpNorth 02-05-2023 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36151046)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151047)
Exactamundo.

But if the press were not feeding the public obsession, and they were obsessed with her way before any infidelity so to me that's just a red herring.

ianch99 02-05-2023 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36151049)
But if the press were not feeding the public obsession, and they were obsessed with her way before any infidelity so to me that's just a red herring.

No, in all probability, she would not have left Charles if he was a caring husband so she would not have been in that tunnel in Paris.

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36151049)

The press and the public are second order noise. Charlie Farley is the principal whose cynical infidelity led to Diana's divorce and eventual death.

Chris 02-05-2023 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36151050)
No, in all probability, she would not have left Charles if he was a caring husband so she would not have been in that tunnel in Paris.

Although it was duty that caused him to seek out and marry a ‘suitable’ bride from a noble family, rather than the society divorcee he wanted to marry …

Sephiroth 02-05-2023 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36151057)
Although it was duty that caused him to seek out and marry a ‘suitable’ bride from a noble family, rather than the society divorcee he wanted to marry …

Poor, innocent Diana. Duped by that horrible man.

Chris 02-05-2023 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151064)

I genuinely have no idea how far she was aware of what was going on at the time they met and got engaged. Presumably she talked about it in one of the interviews she gave later in her life. I’d be curious to know.

ianch99 03-05-2023 09:29

Quote:

Yes, duty to find the bride but not to be the dutiful husband. Not exactly aligned with the official royal playbook i.e. personal wishes are subordinate to the requirements of the "job".

Maggy 03-05-2023 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151064)

Duped by the courtiers you mean.Both were victims of the plotting and planning of the court.Also how much meddling came from Mountbatten and the Duke of Edinburgh?

Jaymoss 03-05-2023 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36151097)
Duped by the courtiers you mean.Both were victims of the plotting and planning of the court.Also how much meddling came from Mountbatten and the Duke of Edinburgh?

Charlie should have had the balls to stand up for the love of his life like his uncle instead of being a puppet. A puppet who in just a few days will be crowned King

Maggy 03-05-2023 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36151098)
Charlie should have had the balls to stand up for the love of his life like his uncle instead of being a puppet. A puppet who in just a few days will be crowned King

Easy for you to say who has never ever been under the microscope of the world and media.Easy for you to say who has the freedom that Charles has never had.

Jaymoss 03-05-2023 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36151100)
Easy for you to say who has never ever been under the microscope of the world and media.Easy for you to say who has the freedom that Charles has never had.

Edward managed to do it. Easy for me to say who has never had the privilege. Never known a life where I wanted for nothing or had the best health care without waiting and so on. Poor Charles hey

Mr K 03-05-2023 10:34

Wonder who is paying for all this cobblers? Charles should sell that crown and fund a few food banks.
This country goes ever backwards, poorer and increasingly irrelevant.

1andrew1 03-05-2023 10:55

Quote:

She wasn't a divorcee until well into the affair, she was still married when it began.
Quote:

It's the night of 17 December 1989.

A radio enthusiast is scanning frequencies - often used by police officers and pirate radio DJs - when he stumbles across a private phone call between a man and a woman.

It is obvious they are lovers. The man’s voice sounds familiar. The radio operator presses the record button.

The man is 41-year-old Prince Charles, the eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II, the future King of England and the husband of Princess Diana.

But the woman on the other end of the line doesn’t sound like his wife. She is in fact Camilla Parker Bowles - a 42-year-old married mother who, outside of royal circles, is almost entirely unknown.
See https://news.sky.com/story/the-rise-...nsort-12871317

Chris 03-05-2023 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36151106)
She wasn't a divorcee until well into the affair, she was still married when it began.

See https://news.sky.com/story/the-rise-...nsort-12871317

I’m thinking way further back than that. Charles and Camilla met in the very early 70s and dated, but she eventually became engaged and married Andrew Parker-Bowles. There are all sorts of rumours as to why she got engaged to someone else while Charles was out of the country. But they remained close and got closer as the years went by.

https://www.today.com/popculture/roy...line-rcna56336

Paul 04-05-2023 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151027)
Charles is indirectly responsible for Diana's death for the reasons I have provided

You have provided no credible reasons, just complete nonsense, hes no more responsible than you are.

Sephiroth 04-05-2023 09:01

Many people disagree with you for the clear reasons I have set out.

Maggy 04-05-2023 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151163)

Many people disagree with you for the clear reasons I have set out.

And many DON'T.

Jaymoss 04-05-2023 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36151165)
And many DON'T.

Maybe there should be a referendum. Seeing as parliament is there to do the will of the people maybe it is time to see what the will actually is

Chris 04-05-2023 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36151168)
Maybe there should be a referendum. Seeing as parliament is there to do the will of the people maybe it is time to see what the will actually is

Referendums seem to work wonderfully in Switzerland, mind you in Switzerland they don’t even have a president as we would understand it - there’s a committee of 7 and one of them is chosen to be president for 12 months at a time. While doing the job they gain no more executive power than any of the other six. Distribution of power is embedded in their culture from the top to the bottom.

Here, we elect MPs based on their political philosophy and affiliation more than we do their exact policy platform; even the manifesto at election time is a broad programme for 5 years and we happily vote for the one that fits our outlook best, even if we don’t agree with all of it.

Referendums are alien to our way of thinking. They polarise us in ways our political discourse is ill-equipped to handle. Neither the Scottish independence referendum nor the Brexit referendum really settled the issue for large numbers of those on the losing side. For better or worse, we have a system of representative democracy and we have little choice but to lean into that.

For the same reason, whether it’s a king, or a figurehead like the president of Ireland or Germany, I think we need to stick with a system of government that is tied to Parliament. I don’t much like the idea of that much executive power resting in the hands of one person, and given how poorly we as a nation deal with polarised politics, we of all people don’t need an executive president who is also supposed to be the head of state and symbol of national unity, but who is unlikely ever to have the support of much more than half the electorate.

At present, while he’s not as popular as his mother, Charles , or rather, the institution of the monarchy embodied in him, still has approval ratings any elected president would die for. If that changes substantially, over the long run, then some process might need to be devised to decide whether to change it. But given our recent history with referendums, an all-or-nothing vote on abolishing the king would be a very dangerous prospect.

Jaymoss 04-05-2023 09:59

Nothing will ever settle anything though will it as there will always be differing opinions. The whole system is a mess we are under the control of an unelected leader as we type.

Thankfully we do not have to do anything like actually pay homage to any of them

Sephiroth 04-05-2023 10:42

I'm content for the monarchy to continue in its current form.

I just don't like Charlie Farley.

ianch99 04-05-2023 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151173)
I'm content for the monarchy to continue in its current form.

I just don't like Charlie Farley.

If Charles is "Charlie Farley" then that makes Camilla "Piggy Malone" :) (for those with long memories)

Sephiroth 04-05-2023 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36151175)
If Charles is "Charlie Farley" then that makes Camilla "Piggy Malone" :) (for those with long memories)

I won't have that! Neasden High Street, or at least Neasden, was my home for many years and Piggy Malone was not Trans!

Sephiroth 04-05-2023 16:37

Does Charlie Farley have a vote?

Hugh 04-05-2023 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151185)
Does Charlie Farley have a vote?

There is no law stating that the King and members of the Royal family cannot vote, but the Royal Family do not vote by convention, given their duty to be impartial.

Ms NTL 04-05-2023 18:15

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65481184

I am wondering: did the secret service, "cleaned" the seats of the tube, classes at the pub etc (DNA protection)
Neither wore gloves...

When, he was at Sandhurst and he popped in at the local, here in Camberley, the protection officers took all the beer glasses with them, when they were done. Mind you Harry was around too...

In the other hand, there is no DNA protection for Sophie or Edward or Louise... everybody knew Louise, their daughter, lovely girl, she was working at a garden Center nearby.

Jaymoss 05-05-2023 11:07

Princess Anne allegedly is not happy with Camilla and her going as Queen

Quote:

David Emanuel said the Princess Royal reportedly told Camilla “you’re not Queen, you’re the Queen Consort” during the dinner with members of the Royal Family.
https://www.gbnews.com/royal/camilla...onation-dinner

just trying again to find the topic on this thread

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Coronation Medal for NHS staff. I imagine they would prefer an extra £ or 2 an hour though but that is a whole different topic. Soldiers and other emergency services also to recieve it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65489760

https://news.sky.com/story/soldiers-...medal-12873380

Chris 05-05-2023 11:44

OK let’s show some royal respect and keep this thread on topic. I’ve split the voter ID stuff out into its own topic. :D

Paul 06-05-2023 01:24

I wont actually get to see most of the coronation.
As I work late evenings, I dont get up until around midday, by which time it will be more than half over.

Sephiroth 06-05-2023 09:10

Record the wretched thing!

It’s this pandering to “multicultural” that bothers me. He should be standing up for British culture.

Chris 06-05-2023 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151332)

Record the wretched thing!

It’s this pandering to “multicultural” that bothers me. He should be standing up for British culture.

How would you define British culture?

Sephiroth 06-05-2023 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36151334)
How would you define British culture?

I knew that dumb Hugh type question would come. I’d define it like any other reasonable Brit would.

There’s no need to pander to other cultures in the UK.

Chris 06-05-2023 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36151335)
I knew that dumb Hugh type question would come. I’d define it like any other reasonable Brit would.

There’s no need to pander to other cultures in the UK.

A politician’s non-answer. Unsurprising I guess.

I’m not interested in what your opinion of ‘other reasonable Brits’ is. I would like you - yourself, and in your own words - to define British culture, because you stated, specifically, that Charlie should stand up for it.

So please, tell us, what exactly should he be standing up for?