Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   E10 petrol - the pitfalls. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710282)

Taf 05-08-2021 10:20

E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

As you may have heard from the mainstream media, E10 petrol is due to hit UK forecourts in September. This will see up 10% ethanol added to regular 95 RON, instead of the present <5% content (E5). In this introductory blog, GEM shall tackle some of the most common questions that our members have posed to us so far, on which we plan to elaborate in future blogs.

Why is E10 being introduced?
The aim is to reduce road transport carbon dioxide levels, especially since new diesel passenger car sales have declined.

If I use E10, will my fuel consumption increase?
Yes – although only slightly.

Is there an alternative to E10?
Yes – the super unleaded pumps will dispense higher octane petrol, containing up to 5% ethanol (E5) for the foreseeable future. Yet, we doubt that E5 Super Unleaded’s extra cost will compensate for the increased economy over E10 Unleaded.

Is it only classic cars that can be harmed by E10?
No. E10 petrol has a lower shelf life than normal petrol and running any engine on ‘out of date’ fuel can be harmful.

Should I use E10 if I cover a low mileage?
If you do not refuel regularly, consider using Super Unleaded (E5). This includes Plug In Hybrid cars that are driven frequently in electric-only modes, so the fuel tank is not replenished frequently.

If my car is not compatible with E10, would a single tankful cause damage?
Yes – many pre-2005 Direct Injection petrol models cannot use E10 – doing so has seen lasting, irreversible harm to the costly high-pressure fuel injection pump.

How can I check if my car is compatible with E10?
This webpage confirms vehicles that can use E10:

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-...ervice.gov.uk/

However, note that compliant vehicles are still not protected from harm, caused by the engine using deteriorated fuel that has been in the tank for more than several weeks.

https://blog.motoringassist.com/car-...l-be-affected/

I fill the tank once every 3 or 4 months, but my car is not E10 compatible, so no problem with the fuel going off. But no local garage presently sells E5 super unleaded, and have no plans to do so. It's about 15p a litre more expensive than standard E5. That means my car will have to be scrapped and replaced at a cost I could barely afford at the moment. :mad:

mrmistoffelees 05-08-2021 10:26

Re: E10 petrol - the pitfalls.

I run premium diesel in both the 4x4 and premium unleaded on the bike (both have been remapped/tuned) premium diesel is currently running at 153.9 a litre here can't remember what premium unleaded is but it's not far off. my other car's electric so no effect.

SWMBO runs premium unleaded on her car, her bike runs on E10 with no issues which is a surprise as it's a 2001 year

A fuel stabiliser will help you in your situation.

joglynne 05-08-2021 10:41

I saw an article about this change yesterday and thankfully our car will take the new E10 fuel.

We have always kept the tank topped up but once the E5 is no longer available we will have to keep our fuel reserve a lot lower as, only doing about 5,000 a year tops, we will presumably have to guard against the fuel in our tank deteriorating.

Ah well I guess this will result in our spending more time in my portable bubble. <sigh> :)

I will certainly be looking into mrmistoffelees's suggestion about a fuel stabiliser so thank you Mr M. :tu:

Taf 05-08-2021 10:47

I just found this...
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfiel...ails_container

Quote:

MOUNTFIELD MS1220 UNIVERSAL FUEL STABILISER 250ML

HOW MUCH DOES IT TREAT?

Thank you for your question, this bottle will treat 12.5 litres of fuel. I hope this answers your query

mrmistoffelees 05-08-2021 11:12

There are also fuel stabilisers specifically designed to work with the E5, E10 - E85

LucasOils do one, as do Wynn I believe

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

amazon.co.uk/Lucas-Oil-10576-Ethanol-Treatment/dp/B004FW77F0

heero_yuy 05-08-2021 11:23

My curent car (colt CZ1) is listed as being able to use this fuel and although my Metro GTi 16v isn't listed the Landrover Discovery uses the same engine (Rover's K series) and is listed as accepting the petrol.

Pierre 05-08-2021 11:23

I have a 20year old Jeep Wrangler as a 3rd car, so looks like I'll be having to fill it up with Super Unleaded.

The wife has a Ford mustang so I think I'll be advising her to use Super Unleaded too.

mrmistoffelees 05-08-2021 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36088619)
My curent car (colt CZ1) is listed as being able to use this fuel and although my Metro GTi 16v isn't listed the Landrover Discovery uses the same engine (Rover's K series) and is listed as accepting the petrol.

Would love to see pictures of the GTi !!!!! very jealous !!!

tweetiepooh 05-08-2021 11:39

Well according to the government site:
E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:
  • Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.
But currently I only do a few thousand miles a year (done about 7k in past 2 years total) so don't fill up often but really don't want more expense. Fill up on monthly trip to Costco, sometimes that's just a top up though and if more than half still there just leave for another month.

BenMcr 05-08-2021 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36088620)
I have a 20year old Jeep Wrangler as a 3rd car, so looks like I'll be having to fill it up with Super Unleaded.

Jeep Wrangler from 1996 through to 2018 apparently are fine

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-...ufacturer/JEEP
Quote:

E10 petrol is cleared for use in the following Jeep models with petrol engines:
Jeep Wrangler (JK) - all engines
Jeep Wrangler (TJ) – all engines

Carth 05-08-2021 11:49

Here we go again, making things worse while attempting to make things better.

Who's behind this latest one? Is it petrol companies, car manufacturers, the Govt, environmental activists, Disney?

tweetiepooh 05-08-2021 12:16

Probably decided "pre-CV19". Now more folk can and do work from home -> less car commutes -> less mileage -> less pollution saving BUT more problems because cars aren't getting used as much so not emptying/filling tanks -> E10 problems. But policies can't be reversed or delayed so easily so we get stuck with it.

heero_yuy 05-08-2021 13:42

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36088621)
Would love to see pictures of the GTi !!!!! very jealous !!!

Slightly OT but:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...7&d=1628166797

Wheels are Compomotive motorsport 14" with Falken 185 45 14 tyres.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...6&d=1628166797

Rovers lovely twincam K engine: 103PS @ 6,100 RPM

She's currently SORN in my garage awaiting some restoration work so won't be needing the new petrol for a while.

Attachment 29177Attachment 29176

mrmistoffelees 05-08-2021 14:50

Thats awesome....

Hom3r 05-08-2021 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36088620)

The wife has a Ford mustang so I think I'll be advising her to use Super Unleaded too.

I wouldn't put anything other than Super Unleaded in the 'Tang.

Sephiroth 05-08-2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36088626)

Who's behind this latest one? Is it petrol companies, car manufacturers, the Govt, environmental activists, Disney?

Carrie.

OLD BOY 05-08-2021 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36088632)
Probably decided "pre-CV19". Now more folk can and do work from home -> less car commutes -> less mileage -> less pollution saving BUT more problems because cars aren't getting used as much so not emptying/filling tanks -> E10 problems. But policies can't be reversed or delayed so easily so we get stuck with it.

Ah, so this is how they force people back to their offices!:D

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36088626)

Agreed. This will come back to bite them in the bum.

idi banashapan 05-08-2021 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36088681)
I wouldn't put anything other than Super Unleaded in the 'Tang.

You don't buy a performarce car and then put crappy fuel in it! I'm anal about using V-Power petrol in my cars and will go out of my way to get it.

Mad Max 05-08-2021 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 36088714)
You don't buy a performarce car and then put crappy fuel in it! I'm anal about using V-Power petrol in my cars and will go out of my way to get it.

Same here.

Mythica 05-08-2021 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 36088714)

I have the 2.3 Focus ST and that has only ever had Shell V Power in it (apart from the bit the dealer put it). It's getting expensive though, £1.55 per litre.

Paul 06-08-2021 15:06

I know nothing about this, so just to be clear, this is just petrol, nothing to do with diesel ?

spiderplant 06-08-2021 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36088831)
I know nothing about this, so just to be clear, this is just petrol, nothing to do with diesel ?

This is just petrol. I'm not aware of plans to increase the biodiesel ratio in diesel.

"Up to 7% bio-diesel in diesel is considered not to cause any compatibility issues with car fuel systems and there's no need to mark pumps to tell customers that the fuel may contain biofuel."
https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...nment/biofuels

I once saw a guy in the Lidl car park filling up with a trolley-load of cooking oil.

Chris 06-08-2021 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36088848)

I once saw a guy in the Lidl car park filling up with a trolley-load of cooking oil.

That can work, in the right engine. Diesel engines were conceived with the intention that they should tolerate any old muck. However modern diesels are engineered to within an inch of their lives and have various components that don’t like straight vegetable oil, such as common rail injection systems, certain types of fuel pump and engine management computers that are programmed to expect very specific fuel characteristics.

I ran an old diesel Range Rover on about 50% veg for a while. The exhaust smelled like a roadside burger van.

mrmistoffelees 06-08-2021 18:00

There used to be a thing a while ago where people were collecting the old oil from fish and chip shops, filtering it and using that

Chris 06-08-2021 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36088866)
There used to be a thing a while ago where people were collecting the old oil from fish and chip shops, filtering it and using that

Yeah, I have a neighbour who used to do that back when restaurants had to pay someone to take their used oil away. He would take it for free and everyone was happy. It’s now recognised as a recyclable commodity now though, and commercial operators pay to take away the oil.

He had a machine in his garage that did the full biodiesel conversion for him. That’s not just filtering - there’s a chemical process as well. It can be fiddly to learn but if you do it, you can use it in a wider range of vehicles and often at 100% bio as well.

Taf 17-09-2021 19:33

1 Attachment(s)
Just a bump for those that are unaware

Mad Max 17-09-2021 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36093451)
Just a bump for those that are unaware

In other words, it's garbage and you should stay well clear.

Taf 17-09-2021 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36093453)
In other words, it's garbage and you should stay well clear.

My car, and apparently 600,000 others are incompatible with it, and no petrol station in my area will respond as to whether they will stock E5 Super (more expensive) or not.

SnoopZ 17-09-2021 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36093456)
My car, and apparently 600,000 others are incompatible with it, and no petrol station in my area will respond as to whether they will stock E5 Super (more expensive) or not.

My Tesco has replaced E5 at its pumps with E10 and renamed Unleaded Super to E5 Premium which is 11 pence more, i can easily see alot of people using E10 by mistake and causing damage to their cars.

nomadking 17-09-2021 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36093464)
My Tesco has replaced E5 at its pumps with E10 and renamed Unleaded Super to E5 Premium which is 11 pence more, i can easily see alot of people using E10 by mistake and causing damage to their cars.

Link
Quote:

Can I mix E5 and E10?
That shouldn't be a problem.
In fact, the RAC recommends drivers with an older car who fill up with E10 by mistake top up with E5 as soon as possible after they have used a third of the tank.
Link
Quote:

What to do if you put E10 petrol in a non-compatible vehicle
Simply fill up with E5 (‘97+ octane) petrol next time.
Using a single tank of E10 petrol in a vehicle that is not compatible should not be a major problem. Just make sure you fill up with the correct E5 (‘97+ octane) petrol grade next time.
Unlike putting petrol into a diesel engine, you shouldn’t need to drain the tank. On a one-time basis, your vehicle will not suffer engine damage as a result. Prolonged use of E10 petrol in a non-compatible vehicle, however, may cause harm and is not recommended.
Quote:

Are there any other drawbacks?
If E10 fuel is put in an incompatible car, it will still run, according to the RAC,
But in the long run, it could cause damage to rubber seals, plastics and metals.
There have also been reports E10 is a less stable fuel, the RAC says.
And this could make it more difficult to start a car that has not been driven for quite a while.
It's another example of a misleading set of environmental claims. Same as calling electric vehicles, "zero-emission". The emissions occur elsewhere.
It's meant to reduce CO2 output by the engines, but misses out the bit that producing the ethanol, also produces CO2.:rolleyes:

Quote:

The production of renewable ethanol for blending with fossil petrol also results in valuable by-products, including animal feed and stored CO2.
Which is then likely to be used by various industries(food production, brewing) and released into the atmosphere anyway.

Mr K 17-09-2021 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36093470)
Link
Link
It's another example of a misleading set of environmental claims. Same as calling electric vehicles, "zero-emission". The emissions occur elsewhere.
It's meant to reduce CO2 output by the engines, but misses out the bit that producing the ethanol, also produces CO2.:rolleyes:

Which is then likely to be used by various industries(food production, brewing) and released into the atmosphere anyway.

So how do you like to get transported from A to B, and how do you carbon offset it Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs Nomadking?

nomadking 17-09-2021 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36093471)
So how do you like to get transported from A to B, and how do you carbon offset it Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs Nomadking?

What's that got to do with my post?
The claim is that as Ethanol has less carbon than the petrol it is replacing, it therefore produces less CO2. CO2 is effectively "extracted" in the production of the Ethanol. It might even be the case than more CO2 is produced overall.
The central problem with using Ethanol, is that it absorbs water, and that can damage engines. You can't distil 100% Ethanol.
Link
Quote:

With that said, ethanol is hygroscopic, which is a pocket-protector way of saying that it readily takes up water. In fact, if you poured 50mL of pure ethanol into a glass and then added 50mL of pure, distilled water, you’d only end up with about 96mL of solution (and a pretty rubbish cocktail), due to the fact that water and ethanol get in close and form bonds, much like people do after exposure to ethanol.
The problem for your car is that water – outside of your radiator and wiper bottle – is generally a bad thing, rusting and corroding delicate fuel system and engine parts that were never designed to come anywhere near water. And if you drive infrequently, extra ethanol in your tank will absorb extra water from the atmosphere and separate the fuel into straight petrol and an alcohol-water mix. The ethanol-water mix will sink to the bottom of the tank, and then, if you ever run low on petrol, you’ll pump water-diluted alcohol into your engine. And no one likes watered down booze.

Hom3r 19-09-2021 13:20

My niece has a Ford Ka, (which has a Fiat 500 engine in it),
The other week she filled up and got a warning light show up, she took it to a guy who asked had she filled up, he plugged the car in but nothing showed up.

We've told her to put E5 in, then told her I put ultimate diesel in at £1.50 a litre, and cried when my last fill was £78.

Taf 19-09-2021 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36093714)
The other week she filled up and got a warning light show up, she took it to a guy who asked had she filled up, he plugged the car in but nothing showed up.

We've told her to put E5 in, then told her I put ultimate diesel in at £1.50 a litre, and cried when my last fill was £78.

Diesel into a petrol car? :confused:

heero_yuy 19-09-2021 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36093715)

That'll be the big end warning light.:D

Paul 19-09-2021 15:44

Quote:

I was wondering about that as well. :erm:

Hom3r 20-09-2021 10:03

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36093716)
That'll be the big end warning light.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36093724)
I was wondering about that as well. :erm:

No, I was saying that E5 is now BP Ultimate Petrol, and that I pay £1.50 a litre for mine

pip08456 20-09-2021 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36093758)
No, I was saying that E5 is now BP Ultimate Petrol, and that I pay £1.50 a litre for mine

Except you didn't.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36093714)

Sephiroth 20-09-2021 10:54

Except that he did!

pip08456 20-09-2021 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36093766)
Except that he did!

Is it panto season already Seph?

Oh no he didn't!:D

Sephiroth 20-09-2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36093768)
Is it panto season already Seph?

Oh no he didn't!:D

Oh yes he did, Pip. The comma governs.

pip08456 20-09-2021 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36093770)
Oh yes he did, Pip. The comma governs.

The comma does not negate the use of the word diesel.

Sephiroth 20-09-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36093782)
The comma does not negate the use of the word diesel.

It delineates, in meaning, which car took diesel and which car took petrol. Clear as daylight and Brexit.

Chris 20-09-2021 13:04

I love a bit of forum pedantry as much as anyone but can we move the topic along please …

Sephiroth 20-09-2021 13:20

I regard E10 as an ill judged piece of pedantry on the part of the climate warriors in government. The potential damages to cars if you leave it fallow for a month ranks also with the price gouging cost of E5 Super.

It's like the latest shock horror that Asthma inhalers are a major contributor to Climate Change. I'll put that into the other thread.

Taf 20-09-2021 13:40

I mentioned E10 to a mate, who frowned immediately. No storing petrol for his lawnmowers, chainsaws, and hedge trimmers, unless he pays the extra for E5 super. Another added cost to his ailing business.

Carth 20-09-2021 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36093792)
I mentioned E10 to a mate, who frowned immediately. No storing petrol for his lawnmowers, chainsaws, and hedge trimmers, unless he pays the extra for E5 super. Another added cost to his ailing business.

Progress though innit, been sending us backwards for years :D

BenMcr 20-09-2021 13:43

Quote:

There are options for E10 https://www.sta-bil.co.uk/blogs/news...t-your-vehicle

Paul 20-09-2021 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36093799)

£8.99 to treat 76 litres.
At 12p per litre, its probably cheaper just to buy E5.

Taf 21-09-2021 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36093799)

This product is subject to specific safety warnings

May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.

May cause drowsiness or dizziness.

Suspected of causing cancer.

Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child.

May cause long-term adverse effects in the environment

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

A good comparison test for fuel stabilisers. It's not all good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsGBhB5g7o

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

K100 vs Sta-bil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MexPdjbg-H8

Taf 29-12-2021 12:05

Our young neighbours got caught by track and trace, then positive PCR tests, so had a 3-week rollercoaster ride at home with covid-19.

At the beginning of last week, now recovered, the husband asked to borrow my battery charger as both their cars refused to start, and the batteries went flat.

2 days later, the cars would still not start, so he recharged the batteries once more and got a mechanic to have a look.

He found that the E10 fuel in both had undergone phase separation and had absorbed water, so he drained the petrol tanks, flushed the fuel systems and added new fuel.

Perfect starts for both cars.

The mechanic told them that this was a growing problem, especially when cars were being left unused due to illness or WFH.

Mad Max 29-12-2021 13:11

Don't buy E10.

tweetiepooh 29-12-2021 14:36

Currently have E10 in tank as price was so much cheaper than E5 and I am doing more miles over Christmas. When things settle to normal low mileage likely to go back to E5 but in past I've had E10 unused for some days without issue.

Hom3r 29-12-2021 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36107332)
Don't buy E10.

I use Premium Diesel

Mad Max 29-12-2021 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36107360)
I use Premium Diesel

E10 is petrol.

Sephiroth 29-12-2021 15:41

I do one fill at half empty E5 then next one E10.

Mad Max 29-12-2021 15:48

I wouldn't be able to use E10, my car needs premium petrol.

1andrew1 29-12-2021 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36107364)
I wouldn't be able to use E10, my car needs premium petrol.

is that true for all Rolls-Royces? ;)

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36107324)
Our young neighbours got caught by track and trace, then positive PCR tests, so had a 3-week rollercoaster ride at home with covid-19.

At the beginning of last week, now recovered, the husband asked to borrow my battery charger as both their cars refused to start, and the batteries went flat.

2 days later, the cars would still not start, so he recharged the batteries once more and got a mechanic to have a look.

He found that the E10 fuel in both had undergone phase separation and had absorbed water, so he drained the petrol tanks, flushed the fuel systems and added new fuel.

Perfect starts for both cars.

The mechanic told them that this was a growing problem, especially when cars were being left unused due to illness or WFH.

I don't use my car much so am sticking to E5 for this reason. If I holidayed by car then I would be tempted to use E10 for the holiday but most of the time the car just sits there.

Taf 07-01-2023 17:23

Quote:

He gave up and moved to all-electric tools and a small generator.

A garage killed my 27-year-old Skoda, no parts available, so I was about to scrap it, but got an enquiry from a guy in Poland. He sent a mechanic to do a thorough inspection, then offered me £750. It was in my bank minutes later, and the car was taken away the next day.

So now I have moved on to an E10-compatible 2019 Dacia Logan MCV. It's got a titchy engine, so won't really benefit from E5 Premium. The tank is HDPE, so the rust problem is moot, but the low mileage I do throws up the problem of phase separation: keep the tank close to full to reduce the amount of humid air it is exposed to, but have to lug that extra weight around (it's got a 50 litre tank); or keep the tank almost empty, causing more humid air to be in contract with it.

I've been trawling the internet about the additives available in the UK, but none seem to have proper science behind them. :(

SnoopZ 07-01-2023 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36143333)
He gave up and moved to all-electric tools and a small generator.

A garage killed my 27-year-old Skoda, no parts available, so I was about to scrap it, but got an enquiry from a guy in Poland. He sent a mechanic to do a thorough inspection, then offered me £750. It was in my bank minutes later, and the car was taken away the next day.

So now I have moved on to an E10-compatible 2019 Dacia Logan MCV. It's got a titchy engine, so won't really benefit from E5 Premium. The tank is HDPE, so the rust problem is moot, but the low mileage I do throws up the problem of phase separation: keep the tank close to full to reduce the amount of humid air it is exposed to, but have to lug that extra weight around (it's got a 50 litre tank); or keep the tank almost empty, causing more humid air to be in contract with it.

I've been trawling the internet about the additives available in the UK, but none seem to have proper science behind them. :(

You may as well just buy E5 fuel then you won't have all that faffing around.

Mad Max 07-01-2023 19:17

Quote:

A garage killed my 27-year-old Skoda,

lmfao...:D

Taf 09-01-2023 20:01

The primary route for water contamination in fuels was determined to be via condensation in fuel tanks, not by simple contact with damp air. The droplets would sink to the bottom of the tank and be absorbed by the ethanol as it broke down by phase separation, which could take weeks or months, depending on conditions.

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it. That's less than a pub measure of spirits.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36143337)
lmfao...:D

They changed the front disks, hubs, callipers and pads in December 2021. They also changed a back tyre.

When I took the car for that same tyre to be repaired elsewhere after picking up a nail, I was told that they were having difficulty getting the wheel nuts back on. They showed me stripped threads in the hub.

They managed to get the wheel on secure, but suggested the hub be changed.

So l took the car to the original garage for it's service and MOT in December 2022. No call from them later in the day, but they sometimes take 2 days to get it done, so I didn't call until early the next day. No-one answered the phone. Several phone calls didn't get answered throughout the day. But on the third day they answered, blaming a glitch that cut their phones off.

The boss came on the phone and said that my car was a write-off. Their pneumatic hammer tools that tighten the wheel nuts had been wrongly calibrated by an outside firm, and had been tightening them far too much. He had spent 2 days trying to find replacement parts, both front and rear hubs, but they were in stock nowhere, even in Czechia where they were made.

A few other customers had their hub threads stripped also, and one went to Trading Standards. The garage owner was told to recall all vehicles they had removed and replaced wheels on. That was in the summer of 2022, but for some reason my car had not been recalled.

He reported my car as "damaged beyond repair" to Trading Standards and their own insurance company, including photos and bills for the work that had been done, in 2021 and 2022.

It's with the insurance companies now, so I expect a fat cheque at some point.

SnoopZ 09-01-2023 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36143416)
The primary route for water contamination in fuels was determined to be via condensation in fuel tanks, not by simple contact with damp air. The droplets would sink to the bottom of the tank and be absorbed by the ethanol as it broke down by phase separation, which could take weeks or months, depending on conditions.

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it. That's less than a pub measure of spirits.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

They changed the front disks, hubs, callipers and pads in December 2021. They also changed a back tyre.

When I took the car for that same tyre to be repaired elsewhere after picking up a nail, I was told that they were having difficulty getting the wheel nuts back on. They showed me stripped threads in the hub.

They managed to get the wheel on secure, but suggested the hub be changed.

So l took the car to the original garage for it's service and MOT in December 2022. No call from them later in the day, but they sometimes take 2 days to get it done, so I didn't call until early the next day. No-one answered the phone. Several phone calls didn't get answered throughout the day. But on the third day they answered, blaming a glitch that cut their phones off.

The boss came on the phone and said that my car was a write-off. Their pneumatic hammer tools that tighten the wheel nuts had been wrongly calibrated by an outside firm, and had been tightening them far too much. He had spent 2 days trying to find replacement parts, both front and rear hubs, but they were in stock nowhere, even in Czechia where they were made.

A few other customers had their hub threads stripped also, and one went to Trading Standards. The garage owner was told to recall all vehicles they had removed and replaced wheels on. That was in the summer of 2022, but for some reason my car had not been recalled.

He reported my car as "damaged beyond repair" to Trading Standards and their own insurance company, including photos and bills for the work that had been done, in 2021 and 2022.

It's with the insurance companies now, so I expect a fat cheque at some point.

What was the valuation of your old car?

GrimUpNorth 09-01-2023 20:17

I know it's no help to you now but I go to a small garage and the boss there doesn't use air guns for this very reason. He's got his old trusted wheel brace and checks the nuts with a torque wrench when he puts them back on.

I know it's in the hands of the insurance companies but I bet you could still do without the hassle.

martkt10 09-01-2023 22:16

You could just remove the ethanol from the petrol , i do so my lawn mower keeps running ok

Chris 09-01-2023 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by martkt10 (Post 36143427)
You could just remove the ethanol from the petrol , i do so my lawn mower keeps running ok

Surely it’s more cost effective to just use premium unleaded than to muck about separating the ethanol from E10?

Paul 09-01-2023 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36143428)
Surely it’s more cost effective to just use premium unleaded than to muck about separating the ethanol from E10?

For something like a lawnmower, where you only need a few litres. its not hard or expensive.
All you do is mix it with water, shake, leave, and drain away the water. However, its not really practical to keep doing it to fill a car.

Chris 10-01-2023 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36143430)
For something like a lawnmower, where you only need a few litres. its not hard or expensive.
All you do is mix it with water, shake, leave, and drain away the water. However, its not really practical to keep doing it to fill a car.

It’s great that you’re not spending money on equipment or consumables to do the separation, however if you get all the ethanol out, you end up with only 90% of the fuel you paid for.

On average, premium unleaded is 10p a litre more than regular E10 but at current prices, removing the ethanol leaves you short of 15p worth of your E10. Yes it’s only 5p but even for a lawnmower it hardly seems worth doing the chemistry.

I dunno maybe it’s just me. I started putting premium in mine last season. No stress no fuss … it actually seemed to sound happier, although that’s not saying much for my knackered old machine. Then we moved house and I left it behind anyway. I have a smaller lawn and an electric mower now.

Taf 10-01-2023 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36143419)
What was the valuation of your old car?

I had an "Agreed Value" of £1k, but I don't know what their insurers will come up with.

Mad Max 10-01-2023 12:53

I would have thought a 27-year-old Skoda would be scrap material.

SnoopZ 10-01-2023 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36143464)

Yer I can't see an Insurance company paying £1000 for most 27 year old cars let alone a 27 year old skip...... Errr Skoda!

Taf 10-01-2023 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36143464)

The only rust that had to be repaired was in a rear wheel arch where the weld was split by dropping off a jack before I bought it.

One new exhaust about 10 years ago, 5 tyres (cracked not bald), a new alternator 6 years ago, and a refurb of the starter motor 2 years ago.

And with 47k on the clock, it was barely run-in. ;)

Taf 10-01-2023 19:14

Back on subject:

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it.

That's less than a pub measure of spirits!

Mr K 10-01-2023 19:29

E10? Rubbish. Meths is a far superior drink.

raging bull 10-01-2023 19:30

When it comes to petrol garden equipment, E5 is the prefered fuel.
I belong to a charity which is charged with keeping our local graveyard tidy, £1000 mower doesn't like E10 coughs and splutters whilst E5 ir runs sweet!
We found that if using E10 the ethanol mix attacks the fuel lines and causes sediment to collect.
We now over the last 4yrs empty all the fuel from our assorted Stahl strimmers when season closes end November.

spiderplant 10-01-2023 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36143497)
just 20cl of water would do it.

What pub do you drink in?! :shocked:

(20cl is about a third of a pint)

daveeb 10-01-2023 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36143519)

Bet it gets lively during happy hour there with those shots :D

tweetiepooh 11-01-2023 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36143497)
Back on subject:

According to CSP (https://www.cspdailynews.com/fuels/3...ase-separation) it only takes 40 gallons of water in 10,000 gallons of E10 to cause phase separation. That's 250:1, so in a 50 litre Logan fuel tank, just 20cl of water would do it.

If 20cl is less than a measure (of spirits) I want to visit your pub!

Taf 11-01-2023 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36143519)

OOPS! I blame the house double I had earlier. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 36143503)
When it comes to petrol garden equipment, E5 is the prefered fuel.

Ethanol strips oil in 2-stroke engines, I have been told. So they tend to run dry and get a lot of wear. But are most 4-stroke these days?

Chris 11-01-2023 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36143551)
OOPS! I blame the house double I had earlier. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Ethanol strips oil in 2-stroke engines, I have been told. So they tend to run dry and get a lot of wear. But are most 4-stroke these days?

They are, but come the end of the season you can be left with fuel sitting in the tank and lines for 4 months. Also it’s unlikely petrol mower manufacturers have been as diligent as car manufacturers at ensuring their various hoses and seals aren’t attacked by the ethanol.

Plus, if you use a petrol mower chances are you have other petrol tools, and these invariably use 2-stroke engines. So unless you want to keep two cans sitting around you might as well put premium in everything.

GrimUpNorth 12-01-2023 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36143553)
They are, but come the end of the season you can be left with fuel sitting in the tank and lines for 4 months. Also it’s unlikely petrol mower manufacturers have been as diligent as car manufacturers at ensuring their various hoses and seals aren’t attacked by the ethanol.

Plus, if you use a petrol mower chances are you have other petrol tools, and these invariably use 2-stroke engines. So unless you want to keep two cans sitting around you might as well put premium in everything.

My Honda Izy is a 4-stroke and Honda say all their petrol lawnmowers manufactured for the UK market since 1993 are fine on E10 petrol.

Paul 13-01-2023 15:31

My mower is electric [cordless] - has been for the last few years.

Itshim 26-01-2023 17:33

On radio 4 today ,sliced bread was about petrol, talking about E5 and E 10 , just in case anyone is really interested !