Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710979)

Mick 25-04-2022 20:17

Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal

BREAKING: Worlds richest person, Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44 Billion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...at_campaign=64

The purchase could result in former U.S President Donald Trump’s Twitter account being reinstated, as Elon Musk vows to bring free speech back to the platform.

pip08456 25-04-2022 20:51

Re: Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44 Billion

BREAKING - Twitter has been sold to Elon Musk and will go private after agreeing to a deal worth $44 billion.

So pretty much confirmed. How he decides to run it remains to be seen.

Hom3r 25-04-2022 21:47

As my dad says £34.6 billion, is obscene.

More money than some countries have.

ianch99 25-04-2022 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36120112)
As my dad says £34.6 billion, is obscene.

More money than some countries have.

Totally agree. It just highlights the obscenity of Billionaires

Paul 25-04-2022 23:47

He's welcome to it.

Damien 26-04-2022 06:57

It's rather sad we're in a place where someone can spend that amount of money seemingly on a whim because he is annoyed at their moderation policies.

I suggest we preemptively ban Elon Musk from here and await the ££££.

Pierre 26-04-2022 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36120127)
It's rather sad we're in a place where someone can spend that amount of money seemingly on a whim because he is annoyed at their moderation policies.

There’s a bit more to it than that, but I take your point

Maggy 26-04-2022 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36120123)
He's welcome to it.

:tu:

peanut 26-04-2022 08:23

Someone done a visual representative of wealth in rice. With 1 grain of rice = $100,000 Elon's wealth would be over 50kgs of rice. Mind boggling to say the least.

ianch99 26-04-2022 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36120132)
Someone done a visual representative of wealth in rice. With 1 grain of rice = $100,000 Elon's wealth would be over 50kgs of rice. Mind boggling to say the least.

The most mind boggling thing of all is that so many people see no problem with this.

Damien 26-04-2022 09:50

His statement said something about verifying humans which suggests an account would be linked to a person. Might cut down on trolling and be a good solution to the moderation issue. Yes, you have better 'free speech' but you'll also have less protection against consequences for it.

Carth 26-04-2022 10:04

Does this mean that 50% of twitter accounts would disappear as they're bots?

Pierre 26-04-2022 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36120134)
The most mind boggling thing of all is that so many people see no problem with this.

What's the problem.

Twitter in it's current form banned the POTUS, Buried the Hunter Biden scandel, and summarily bans any discourse it disagrees with.

It will now just be owned by someone else with that power.

nomadking 26-04-2022 10:06

So "better free speech" is to entail only opinions that are allowed without the risk of being "cancelled" in some way or another? Just because certain people don't like certain opinions/facts, doesn't mean they aren't true.

Wealth can only be realised, if others have the money to exchange with you. Others will have to exchange the money with him, in order for him to exchange it with the Facebook shareholders, who can then spend or invest it.

Certain people would only seem to be happy if nobody created anything. The money for loans of whatever kind(government borrowing, mortgages, business loans, etc) can only happen with money from those with surplus money.

Damien 26-04-2022 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36120138)

Hopefully

Mick 26-04-2022 10:45

Twitter is not a bad thing, it’s where I get all my verified stuff on Ukraine from, it’s just it’s been run by chaps from Silicon Valley, heavily censor conservatives. Banned a sitting President of the U.S for incitement to violence, yet folk like leader of Iran and Putin guilty of more serious issues, are allowed to keep their accounts. It needed an overhaul, Trump said he won’t return to Twitter, but if he intends to run in 2024, he’s going to need his account especially with a following of 88.7 Million people.

Maggy 26-04-2022 11:46

Trying to control the internet was/is never going to work..The WWW was never meant to be controlled by anyone in it's first conception.Originally it was run by children and the grown ups cottoned too late that it's not an animal they can control. Doesn't stop them trying though.

The best thing parents/teachers can do is make sure they take a close and keen interest what their children are doing until said children have grown enough to actually apply some critical thinking to what they see on the internet.

Using the internet critically SHOULD be taught on the education syllabus from as early as possible.

TheDaddy 26-04-2022 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36120132)

I remember my then young daughter asking me what rhe difference is between a million and a billion so we did it in seconds, 1 million seconds is 12 days, 1 billion seconds is 31 years :shocked:

Paul 26-04-2022 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36120138)

A huge number of accounts are unused anyway.
If they got purged due to inactivity, millions would vanish.
I have one somewhere, but I could not tell you when I last logged into it.

Hugh 26-04-2022 22:49

Oops…

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www....h=7bd71ff6707c

Quote:

Tesla Stock Plunge Wipes Out $114 Billion In Value As Twitter Deal Sparks Fears

Tesla shares collapsed Tuesday as investors continued to digest the implications of Twitter’s acceptance of CEO Elon Musk’s $44 billion bid for the social media giant, tacking onto already-staggering losses spurred by the Federal Reserve's looming interest rate hikes.

Tesla shares fell as much as 11% Tuesday to $890, pushing the stock down more than 28% from its all-time high in November and wiping nearly $25 billion from Musk's fortune and $114 billion from Tesla's market capitalization, which now stands at $920 billion.

"Tesla shareholders can’t be happy that Musk will have to divert even more attention away from winning the electric-vehicle race," Oanda analyst Edward Moya wrote in emailed comments, echoing concerns from Vital Knowledge Media's Adam Crisafulli, who also attributed the plunge to investor concerns about how Musk will finance his Twitter bid

Halcyon 27-04-2022 08:23

What an awful lot of money!

Who knows, in ten years time we may say "Twitter? What on earth is Twitter?". It may not even exist and all that money is wasted.

With hunger and poverty affecting many people right now money could be much better spent.

What I worry about when people take over these huge platforms is the ways they can channel information or their own political ideas to brainwash people.

papa smurf 27-04-2022 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36120230)
What an awful lot of money!

Who knows, in ten years time we may say "Twitter? What on earth is Twitter?". It may not even exist and all that money is wasted.

With hunger and poverty affecting many people right now money could be much better spent.

What I worry about when people take over these huge platforms is the ways they can channel information or their own political ideas to brainwash people.

I'm not on Twitter so no brainwashing here, not on FB or any other platform.

Carth 27-04-2022 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36120231)

That's at least two of us then. The trouble is, all the people 'at the top' use them and you can already see how their brains have been fried by doing so.

nomadking 27-04-2022 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36120231)

Like mainstream media and TV/film dramas don't do that.:rolleyes:

Hom3r 27-04-2022 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36120161)
I remember my then young daughter asking me what rhe difference is between a million and a billion so we did it in seconds, 1 million seconds is 12 days, 1 billion seconds is 31 years :shocked:

I remember something similar.

There are more nanoseconds in 1 second, than there are seconds in 31 Years.

There are more picoseconds in 1 second, than there are seconds in 31,700 Years.

There are more femtoseconds in 1 second, than there are seconds in 31 million Years.

There are more attoseconds in 1 second, than there are seconds in 31 billion Years.

richard-john56 27-04-2022 19:23

He should have bought rain forests.

Mick 28-04-2022 11:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard-john56 (Post 36120306)
He should have bought rain forests.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1651142959

Real tweet btw.

Jaymoss 28-04-2022 13:34

Just seen that. hahaha

Musk does not care about real money he is a share holders nightmare

Mick 29-04-2022 13:37

1 Attachment(s)
LOL. Elon just tweeted this in last few minutes:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1651235740

:rofl:

Hom3r 02-05-2022 16:53

Didn't Elon tweet about buying BMW just to change the grill?

Damien 02-05-2022 19:49

He is a bit weird. It's lucky he is taking Twitter private because he is a nightmare to shareholders.

RichardCoulter 04-05-2022 17:23

After concerns about plans to weaken moderation, Elon Musk has been invited to appear before a Commons Select Committee regarding his intention to purchaseTwitter..

Julian Kinight, who chairs the DCMS panel, will be asking him to explain how he will be balancing his commitment to free speech with the forthcoming obligations on websites to protect users from harm under the Online Safety Bill.

Pierre 04-05-2022 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36121101)
After concerns about plans to weaken moderation, Elon Musk has been invited to appear before a Commons Select Committee regarding his intention to purchaseTwitter..

Julian Kinight, who chairs the DCMS panel, will be asking him to explain how he will be balancing his commitment to free speech with the forthcoming obligations on websites to protect users from harm under the Online Safety Bill.

The online end of free speech bill is a joke

RichardCoulter 04-05-2022 18:13

Having the right to free speech is not incompatible with not harming others in any way to any extent.

We don't have the right to say what we want, to who we want and when we want right now and for very good reason.

Pierre 04-05-2022 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36121117)
Having the right to free speech is not incompatible with not harming others in any way to any extent.

We don't have the right to say what we want, to who we want and when we want right now and for very good reason.

The genie is already out of the bottle, but when you go down the road of trying to legislate around a totally subjective issue, it’s the road to hell.

I have to go, the thought police are at the door.

Mick 10-05-2022 21:15

NEW: Elon Musk has vowed to reverse the Twitter ban of former U.S President Donald Trump, declaring it morally wrong and flat out stupid.

Trump had vowed weeks ago that he wouldn’t return to Twitter, even if Elon removed the ban.

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk...trump-12610153

Pierre 10-05-2022 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36121923)
NEW: Elon Musk has vowed to reverse the Twitter ban of former U.S President Donald Trump, declaring it morally wrong and flat out stupid.

Trump had vowed weeks ago that he wouldn’t return to Twitter, even if Elon removed the ban.

It’s the correct thing to do.

General Maximus 10-05-2022 21:31

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2022/05/10.gif

Hom3r 11-05-2022 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36121923)

Then I will consider leaving

ianch99 11-05-2022 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36121967)

:tu: Agreed

papa smurf 11-05-2022 10:36

Elon will be devastated.

General Maximus 11-05-2022 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36121967)

That is only how he is going to realise his mistake. It is going to backfire on him big time.

1andrew1 13-05-2022 11:56

Deal on hold
Quote:

Elon Musk puts Twitter deal on hold over fake account details

Elon Musk has said his $44bn (£35bn) deal to buy Twitter is temporarily on hold after he queried the number of fake or spam accounts on the social media platform.

He said he was waiting for information "supporting [the] calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users".

Following the announcement, Twitter shares fell 25% in pre-market trading.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61433724

Pierre 13-05-2022 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36122229)

It's an important detail, and part of the valuation of the company. To accurately know many actual users there are so any advertisers know the size of audience they're reaching.

Damien 13-05-2022 13:56

Or he is trying to get the price down by tanking the shares. Down 25% already.

Remember Telsa shares have also dropped quite a bit since he announced he was buying Twitter and it was against that equity he was borrowing against. So not only is $44 billion a lot of money it became a bigger fraction of his worth since the day of the announcement of the takeover.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36122238)
It's an important detail, and part of the valuation of the company. To accurately know many actual users there are so any advertisers know the size of audience they're reaching.

It is but this is what is done as part of due diligence before you commit to buying. It's weird he is at this stage and now he suddenly wants to do it.

Sephiroth 14-05-2022 11:22

Yawn. A pox on Twitter, a bigger pox on Facebook.

Chris 14-05-2022 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36122245)
It is but this is what is done as part of due diligence before you commit to buying. It's weird he is at this stage and now he suddenly wants to do it.

Not at this scale of purchase. Due diligence can be highly complex and can’t be hidden, nor can it be done when the potential purchase becomes public and the market is all ‘will they won’t they’. That sort of volatility is undesirable and likely to attract unwelcome attention from the market authorities. If you keep people guessing about whether a purchase will go ahead, eventually it starts to look like share price manipulation.

Any offer to make a very large purchase is subject to due diligence. We all do it at some time in our lives - a house purchase offer is always subject to satisfactory surveys. Even if the home report is available from the outset, various other searches have to be done and in some cases special surveys of the electrical or gas systems may take place.

Back in the day when I worked for a major international hotel company, it announced an agreed offer to purchase a large regional hotel chain which itself had well over 100 hotels. For the next 3 months, every senior executive in the place was on the road, visiting every single one of the hotels to establish that they were all there and in satisfactory condition.

Obviously there are certain things that you can, and should, satisfy yourself about before you make the offer, but there’s plenty that you can’t - especially proprietary details that the company being bought can’t and won’t give out to just anyone.

Damien 14-05-2022 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36122350)
Any offer to make a very large purchase is subject to due diligence. We all do it at some time in our lives - a house purchase offer is always subject to satisfactory surveys. Even if the home report is available from the outset, various other searches have to be done and in some cases special surveys of the electrical or gas systems may take place.

Elon Musk skipped it though, he has committed to buying Twitter unless something major happens. He hasn't made an offer pending due diligence, he waved that right already and signed the deal: https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk...-flap-12612206

Quote:

It is the sort of issue that might have been addressed in due diligence - the process by which buyers and their banks closely examine the company they are acquiring - had Musk not waived that step in order to hustle the Twitter board into a swift decision on his offer.

There is a good breakdown here of why this 'on hold' story is yet more Elon Musk showmanship: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...trolls-twitter

Quote:

“Temporarily on hold” is not a thing. Elon Musk has signed a binding contract requiring him to buy Twitter. Legions of bankers and lawyers and Twitter employees and special-purpose-vehicle promoters are working to fulfill his legal obligation to get the deal closed. “The parties hereto will use their respective reasonable best efforts to consummate and make effective the transactions contemplated by this Agreement,” says the merger agreement. (Section 6.3(a).) He can’t just put that “on hold.”

That contract does not allow Musk to walk away if it turns out that “spam/fake accounts” represent more than 5% of Twitter users. We discussed this last month, when Twitter admitted in a securities filing that it had (slightly) overestimated its daily active users for years. The merger agreement contains a provision that allows Musk to walk away if Twitter’s securities filings are wrong — and this 5% number is in its securities filings — but only if the inaccuracy would have a “Material Adverse Effect” on the company. (See Sections 4.6(a) and 7.2(b).) That is an incredibly high standard: Delaware courts have almost never found an MAE. An MAE has to be something that would “substantially threaten the overall earnings potential of the target in a durationally-significant manner,” the courts have said; there is a rule of thumb that an MAE requires a 40% decrease in long-term profitability. If it turned out that 6% or 20% or 50% of Twitter accounts are bots, that will be embarrassing and might even reduce Twitter’s future advertising revenue, but will it be an MAE? No.

General Maximus 17-05-2022 12:25

Quote:

Elon Musk says Twitter has to show spam accounts are less than 5% for takeover to go ahead
The billionaire Tesla founder steps up his efforts to reduce the price tag he has agreed to pay for the social media platform by demanding Twitter publicly declare a true figure for fake accounts.

Elon Musk has warned his planned $44bn (£34.6bn) deal to buy Twitter will not move forward until the company's chief executive publicly shows proof the platform has less than 5% spam accounts.

The world's richest man, who revealed last Friday that the takeover was "on hold" over the issue, said his offer to buy the company was based on filings by Twitter to the US markets regulator SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission).

Twitter estimates that the number of spam/fake accounts represent less than 5% of users but has admitted a constant battle to eliminate them.

They include so-called bots - automated accounts which have the potential to ply the platform with spam and potentially harmful activity.

They are programmed to perform multiple tasks like a human user, including things like retweeting posts.

It sounds harmless enough except for the fact bots across social media are blamed for influencing elections, conducting misinformation campaigns and terrorising individuals or groups.

The billionaire suspects fake accounts make up at least 20% of users - damaging the landscape for advertisers.

Twitter has adopted a strategy used to prevent hostile takeovers after Elon Musk offered to buy the company outright

He wrote on Twitter early on Tuesday: "My offer was based on Twitter's SEC filings being accurate. Yesterday, Twitter's CEO publicly refused to show proof of under 5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does."

Musk appears to be using the issue as a way to force down the agreed price for the takeover - with Twitter's shares suffering amid the acrimony being played out in public.
https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk...rward-12615034

I wonder if he is related to Donald Trump

Mick 17-05-2022 13:14

Don’t know what this obsession to link things to Trump is all about lately on here.

Musk is doing what any other business-headed top brass would do, drive down a company such as Twitter and it’s value, so it costs him less. Where comparisons to Trump, fits in to this is beyond me. :shrug:

General Maximus 17-05-2022 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36122650)
Where comparisons to Trump, fits in to this is beyond me. :shrug:

the comparison is easy; making up completely baseless and unfounded facts and statistics and using them in such a way that they have a sense of credibility and could be plausible. I haven't read through this thread and I haven't seen any other comparisons to Trump made but as soon as I read that it is the first thing that popped into my mind. If he thinks that kind of behaviour is okay then it explains why he thinks Trump's behaviour is acceptable and happy to see his ban overturned.

It is one thing to explain that you are acting responsibly and exercising an abundance of caution in investigating the number of fake accounts on a platform you are buying and it is another thing to say "well I know Twitter says it is 5% or less but I think it is 20% or more". Really? What evidence have you got to substantiate that outrageous accusation and that level of incompetence on Twitter's part? You can't spout random negative information and treat it as fact/true until someone proves otherwise. If you disagree with me then look at it from another perspective. That is the same ideology conspiracy theorists use. Make something up which suits our narrative and when somebody tries to disprove it we'll make something else up to dismiss their argument. I hope he gets sued for that or the government take action against him. He plays fast and loose with the stock exchange and shares.

TheDaddy 17-05-2022 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36122650)
Don’t know what this obsession to link things to Trump is all about lately on here.

Musk is doing what any other business-headed top brass would do, drive down a company such as Twitter and it’s value, so it costs him less. Where comparisons to Trump, fits in to this is beyond me. :shrug:

Shouldn't he have done that before he had his offer accepted?

Mick 17-05-2022 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36122658)
the comparison is easy; making up completely baseless and unfounded facts and statistics and using them in such a way that they have a sense of credibility and could be plausible. I haven't read through this thread and I haven't seen any other comparisons to Trump made but as soon as I read that it is the first thing that popped into my mind. If he thinks that kind of behaviour is okay then it explains why he thinks Trump's behaviour is acceptable and happy to see his ban overturned.

It is one thing to explain that you are acting responsibly and exercising an abundance of caution in investigating the number of fake accounts on a platform you are buying and it is another thing to say "well I know Twitter says it is 5% or less but I think it is 20% or more". Really? What evidence have you got to substantiate that outrageous accusation and that level of incompetence on Twitter's part? You can't spout random negative information and treat it as fact/true until someone proves otherwise. If you disagree with me then look at it from another perspective. That is the same ideology conspiracy theorists use. Make something up which suits our narrative and when somebody tries to disprove it we'll make something else up to dismiss their argument. I hope he gets sued for that or the government take action against him. He plays fast and loose with the stock exchange and shares.

I think you’re missing business studies lesson 101, all companies on Stock Exchange compete and play like that and as for calling him out on the spam account accusations being fake, what makes you privy to Twitter internal statistics?

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36122660)

He did and thinks he’s been mislead.

General Maximus 17-05-2022 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36122660)

Exactly. Instead of acting maturely and doing his due diligence he is pitting his dummy out after the fact.

1andrew1 17-05-2022 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36122663)
Exactly. Instead of acting maturely and doing his due diligence he is spitting his dummy out after the fact.

Seems to be taking a leaf out of Johnson's book. Sign an agreement and then go back on it.
As always - act in haste, repent at your leisure.

General Maximus 17-05-2022 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36122661)

If that's the case then Twitter are in big trouble. We use percentages and statistics instead of arbitrary numbers for a reasons. There is a big (and inexcusable) difference between 5% and 20%. If Twitter are saying something is 5% publicly and now that he is majority shareholder he has seen internal communication which may indicate something is in fact 20% then Twitter can get in big trouble for manipulating its share price. Either way somebody needs to be held responsible because either answer too much of an unrealistic variance.

TheDaddy 17-05-2022 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36122661)

I think he's been misleading us all, not sure his heart was ever in it, seemed like things got out of hand really quickly and he didn't want to back down and now this is all very convenient. Stand to be corrected when the deal goes through of course and it's 50% of accounts but that's just the feeling I got watching it all unfold

Mick 17-05-2022 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36122671)
I think he's been misleading us all, not sure his heart was ever in it, seemed like things got out of hand really quickly and he didn't want to back down and now this is all very convenient. Stand to be corrected when the deal goes through of course and it's 50% of accounts but that's just the feeling I got watching it all unfold

As rich as he is, I don’t he’d spend $44 Billion on a whim like that. His true aim is as I said above, he’s probably attempting to drive down Twitter’s value, having discovered Twitter might have more spam accounts than they have let on in a prior negotiation deal.

I will say this though, Twitter shareholders, could see through this and totally reject the deal, ownership hadn’t yet changed hands and there was issues with his SEC filing on his initial share purchase that could still scupper the whole arrangement.

Musk had already vowed to unban Trump, so it doesn’t take some guess work that there may be some attempt to stop this deal dead. Given that everything that is going on in America, baby food shortages, Joe Biden’s serious unpopularity and docile approach to everything and he’s vowed to run again in 2024. An unbanned Trump with 88 Million following, vs Biden, gives Trump the 2024 ticket.

Damien 07-06-2022 21:16

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61709782

More stories suggest he is going to try to pull out of the deal.

If he can't prove Twitter lied about the 5% he'll have to pay $1 billion as Twitter put in a clause just in case. Alternatively, they could both call it off, he goes through with the deal or tries to get a lower price. This article here shows the difficulty in getting financing: https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...es-2022-06-07/

Pierre 07-06-2022 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36124681)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61709782

More stories suggest he is going to try to pull out of the deal.

If he can't prove Twitter lied about the 5% he'll have to pay $1 billion as Twitter put in a clause just in case. Alternatively, they could both call it off, he goes through with the deal or tries to get a lower price. This article here shows the difficulty in getting financing: https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...es-2022-06-07/

He’s a clever guy, I’m sure whatever happens will be by his design.

1andrew1 10-06-2022 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36124683)
He’s a clever guy, I’m sure whatever happens will be by his design.

He can also afford to lose a $bn.

Jaymoss 10-06-2022 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36124829)
He can also afford to lose a $bn.

He does not care

Damien 10-06-2022 21:16

Elon Musk hasn't always made the smartest decisions, especially when it comes to Twitter. I wouldn't rule out that this was an excitable flight of fancy that went too far. Let's see if he closes on the deal or not.

Pierre 10-06-2022 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36124901)
Elon Musk hasn't always made the smartest decisions, especially when it comes to Twitter. I wouldn't rule out that this was an excitable flight of fancy that went too far. Let's see if he closes on the deal or not.

Twitter is not worth what Musk offered and he knows it, but he offered so much they were duty bound to accept it.

Musk has demanded that Twitter reveal how many accounts, and therefore users ( I.e advertising consumers …….revenue) are actually fake.

If it turns out a large % of accounts are fake bots, that then devalues the company. Musk can walk away from the deal and the shareholders can sue the board.

Job done.

Damien 10-06-2022 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36124904)
Twitter is not worth what Musk offered and he knows it, but he offered so much they were duty bound to accept it.

Musk has demanded that Twitter reveal how many accounts, and therefore users ( I.e advertising consumers …….revenue) are actually fake.

If it turns out a large % of accounts are fake bots, that then devalues the company. Musk can walk away from the deal and the shareholders can sue the board.

Job done.

Well, he can't walk away simply by devaluing the company. He has already committed to buying it and waived his right to perform due diligence. If the shareholders did sue they could easily sue Musk as well.

If he can prove the Twitter broad engaged in fraud or something then he could walk away without penalty but the Bloomberg piece I linked to before explains why that's hard. Especially since Twitter reports its revenue so unless he says they lied about that as well whatever the number of bots is it clearly isn't causing him to misunderstand how much Twitter makes.

We already know he overpaid for Twitter but everyone knew that at the time.

Personally, I think he is trying to be as difficult as possible so Twitter just agree to mutually cancel the deal.

Mick 08-07-2022 22:33

BREAKING: Elon Musk Terminates his deal to buy Twitter.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...al-2022-07-08/

Damien 08-07-2022 22:42

Re: [Updated] Elon Musk pulls out of $44 Billion Twitter deal

I am shocked! Who could have seen this coming?!

Pierre 08-07-2022 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36127727)
BREAKING: Elon Musk Terminates his deal to buy Twitter.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...al-2022-07-08/

Quote:

Elon Musk said on Friday he was terminating his $44 billion deal for Twitter Inc (TWTR.N), saying that the social media company had failed to provide information about fake accounts on the platform.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36124904)

Job done.

They probably won’t, but it may force shareholders to investigate the actual worth of the company and how it’s being run.

They’ve just missed out on a payday. Twitter is not particularly profitable as a company. Shareholders may decide to change things to make it more saleable.

Either way, Musk has started something.

Damien 08-07-2022 22:49

Well it might well go to court anyway unless Musk pays the termination fee. No word on that yet.

Twitter isn't worth $44 billion and Musk signed the deal just before the wider tech market - including his own shares in Tesla - went south.

Dude111 10-07-2022 21:11

Im not surprised he pulled out,who the hell would want Twitter??

1andrew1 11-07-2022 14:41

Twitter has only made a profit in financial years 2018 and 2020 and has been going since 2010. Unless you have a revolutionary new business model to change it or money to burn, I can't see the case for acquiring it at today's valuations.

If you don't have such a plan, buying Twitter looks like the 21st century equivalent of acquiring a loss-making British newspaper to garner favour and attention from the high and mighty.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...me-of-twitter/

Pierre 11-07-2022 21:19

1 Attachment(s)
Part of the reason Musk probably thought that number of Twitter users may not be accurate

BenMcr 11-07-2022 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36127969)
Part of the reason Musk probably thought that number of Twitter users may not be accurate

No-one disputes there are fake accounts on Twitter. Even Tiwtter themselves say that is the case.

But as Damien pointed out here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36124906)
He has already committed to buying it and waived his right to perform due diligence.

The whole point of due diligence is that you work out any issues before you sign the deal, and ensures you can't back out by saying 'oh I didn't know about X so I don't want to do it now'.

Musk had that option and actively chose to waive it.

1andrew1 11-07-2022 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36127969)

The most important figure is profit and that's audited. If user numbers was important, he would have conducted due diligence to confirm the accuracy of this figure.

As Damien has said, he's pulled out due to the downturn in tech company valuations.

Dude111 15-07-2022 07:21

I read they are trying to sue him :D

What a bunch of idiots.. NO ONE CAN FORCE ANYONE TO BUY IT!!

Just shut it down,.........

Damien 15-07-2022 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36128342)
I read they are trying to sue him :D

What a bunch of idiots.. NO ONE CAN FORCE ANYONE TO BUY IT!!

Just shut it down,.........

Well they could, he signed a binding agreement. He would need to show that Twitter significantly misrepresented the company, which is why he is focusing on bots, and that due diligence which he waived the right to do wouldn't have picked it up. There is an article I put further up that showed why this would be pretty difficult even if the bot problem is 5x worse than the 5%.

That said it's unlikely a court would force him to buy it because he needs external creditors to loan him the money which is apparently something courts dislike. Twitter probably want a substantial amount of compensation.

1andrew1 15-07-2022 11:20

I think it's fair for Musk to compensate Twitter as per what he agreed. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't conditional on anything so he has little wriggle room. Just a deeper pocket and the ability to keep the case going longer.

pip08456 15-07-2022 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36128368)
I think it's fair for Musk to compensate Twitter as per what he agreed. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't conditional on anything so he has little wriggle room. Just a deeper pocket and the ability to keep the case going longer.

The salient point being as far as you are aware.

Paul 15-07-2022 15:22

Quote:

NO ONE CAN FORCE ANYONE TO BUY IT!!
Well, they can 'force' him if he signed a contract, or of course they can sue for breach of said contract.

Damien 15-07-2022 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36128387)
Well, they can 'force' him if he signed a contract, or of course they can sue for breach of said contract.

Because the full deal requires him to bring in additional loans/funding (i.e third parties who the court cannot force to lend) the suspicion is it'll just be compensation.

1andrew1 15-07-2022 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36128375)
The salient point being as far as you are aware.

One for the lawyers mate. Musk has deeper pockets so I predict he will try a pay lower compensation than he agreed.

papa smurf 15-07-2022 16:21

If he bought in good faith and they sold a lemon he probably has a good case.

1andrew1 15-07-2022 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36128392)

He's not bought it, Papa, that's the issue here.

Hugh 15-07-2022 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36128392)

Multi-billion dollar deals don’t work on "good faith", they work on pre-agreed contractual terms.

papa smurf 15-07-2022 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36128394)
He's not bought it, Papa, that's the issue here.

Because they've tried to pull a fast one by overstating it's customer base/value

BenMcr 15-07-2022 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36128397)
Because they've tried to pull a fast one by overstating it's customer base/value

Musk waived his due diligence right that would have allowed him to discover any issues like that before signing the purchase agreement.

Itshim 15-07-2022 17:27

Wow didn't realize there are so many insiders on this site .

BenMcr 15-07-2022 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36128407)
Wow didn't realize there are so many insiders on this site .

If that was aimed at me it's literally what Twitter have said two months ago

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deal...eal-2022-05-17
Quote:

Musk negotiated the Twitter deal over the weekend of April 23 and April 24 without carrying out any due diligence, the proxy statement shows.

Dude111 16-07-2022 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul

YA Hmmm I didnt think of that.. Why did he sign anything if he wasnt 100% sure??

TheDaddy 16-07-2022 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36128439)
YA Hmmm I didnt think of that.. Why did he sign anything if he wasnt 100% sure??

Because he's a cocky, arrogant, git who thought he knew best and better than everyone else, he'll learn the hard way that isn't the case

Itshim 16-07-2022 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36128409)
If that was aimed at me it's literally what Twitter have said two months ago

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deal...eal-2022-05-17

Not aimed at anyone but l have had comments about my family's business in the past , and they were and still are up the creek:D as were the feds , state and local police in the 20s to 60s ny father use to say that we had a desk / office just for them , :shocked: in the beginning we did a lot of business with Cuba ,so perhaps that was reason?! Just for a little fun buy and put to one side some newspapers , then get them out in six months , and read again , my guess you will never trust one again !!!

1andrew1 17-07-2022 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36128444)
Because he's a cocky, arrogant, git who thought he knew best and better than everyone else, he'll learn the hard way that isn't the case

Hole in one! It will catch up with him the same as it caught up with Johnson.

Dude111 17-07-2022 20:59

I guess he shouldnt have signed anything before he was sure........

pip08456 04-10-2022 17:38

BREAKING: Elon Musk proposes to proceed with deal to buy Twitter - Bloomberg

Damien 04-10-2022 22:57

I am shocked that it turns out he’ll pay what he originally promised :rolleyes:

Dude111 07-10-2022 09:06

I wonder if its cause he really didnt wanna pay the fees to cancel?

Damien 07-10-2022 09:14

Re: [Updated] Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal back on

Twitter think he still might not go through with the deal so maybe there is some gamesmanship going on. Musk has used this intent to buy as a reason to stop the case but Twitter want it to continue so I guess from their point of view it's either the deal goes through or the lawsuit finishes - whichever comes first.

pip08456 07-10-2022 10:33

The plot thickens.

Quote:

Twitter is refusing to accept Elon Musk’s renewed bid of $44 billion for the social media company, according to a report from The Associated Press citing Elon Musk’s attorneys. This news comes after reports of Elon Musk’s asking the Delaware court to halt the upcoming trial. He renewed his offer to purchase the social media network this week and shared a few details about his goals.
https://www.teslarati.com/twitter-re...s-renewed-bid/

Damien 07-10-2022 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36136242)
The plot thickens.

Quote:

Twitter is refusing to accept Elon Musk’s renewed bid of $44 billion for the social media company, according to a report from The Associated Press citing Elon Musk’s attorneys. This news comes after reports of Elon Musk’s asking the Delaware court to halt the upcoming trial. He renewed his offer to purchase the social media network this week and shared a few details about his goals.
https://www.teslarati.com/twitter-re...s-renewed-bid/

They're not refusing to accept it. They're refusing to halt legal action or accept different terms such as one that gets Musk out of the whole thing if he can't raise the money.

Twitter can't refuse to accept the deal if it's the original terms for the agreed amount. They suspect Musk is up to something.
https://www.ft.com/content/1ce8a07a-...b-f91261929a71

Quote:

In its filing, Twitter said one of the lending banks had testified on Thursday that Musk had “yet to send them a borrowing notice” or communicate that he intended to close the deal.

Legal experts expect Twitter to demand Musk deposit the $44bn in escrow before moving forward with the deal. Ann Lipton, a corporate law professor at Tulane University, wrote on Twitter that the company’s filing “makes clear Musk is not doing what is necessary to obtain financing”.
Anyway the case is halted for now but the judge will allow it to resume if Musk somehow finds another reason not to complete.

Maggy 07-10-2022 12:03

I thought Musk was supposed to be a hot shot businessman.:confused: