Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2023) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711604)

Media Boy UK 01-01-2023 14:48

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2023)

This is a continuation of the 'Changes to Virgin TV (2022)' thread which you can find here:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33710709

1. The old thread has been closed, but will remain for information purposes;
2. I will collate all the information from my various sources and post on Cable Forum;

In addition to that I will be on hand to answer any questions that arise and to provide links to other sources of information as they come up.

Thank you.

Here is the CONFIRMED Channels news for Virgin UK and N. Ireland TV:

January 2023:
2nd. Sky Cinema Greats HD to be rebranded as Sky Cinema British Icons HD
4th. Sky Sports Darts HD to be rebranded back to Sky Sports Arena HD
4th. Sky Sports Darts to be rebranded back to Sky Sports Arena
5th. BoXmas to be rebranded back to The Box
5th. GREAT! Movies Classics to be rebranded as GREAT! Movies Romance
5th. Smithsonian Channel to close today on Virgin Media UK
6th. Christmas24 to be rebranded back to Movies24
6th. Christmas24+ to be rebranded back to Movies24+

©Media Boy UK 2006 - 2023. A ''Doing it my way'' Production.

vincerooney 02-01-2023 01:54

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2023)

Ah another thread for another year! Excellent.

I wonder then people on v6 tivo boxes will be forced to move onto the 360 software? Surely virgin media can't operate two different softwares for their boxes?

cheekyangus 02-01-2023 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36142985)

I wonder then people on v6 tivo boxes will be forced to move onto the 360 software? Surely virgin media can't operate two different softwares for their boxes?

VM ran two different box systems alongside each other for many, many years. Liberate and Tivo. This is no different. It's up to them if licensing money and customer response to losing recordings make it worthwhile the hassle.

Frazz 02-01-2023 16:12

Quote:

Having switched to the360 and managed to make the switch back to TiVo if they ditch the TiVo that'll be when I ditch virgin TV and phone and possibly broadband if I can get it cheaper from city fibre and make the switch to streaming services.

Will not be using the 360 powered boxes the software is hellish

TimeLord2018 02-01-2023 16:37

Quote:

Would be interesting to know how long the TiVo license agreement has left to run.

Dave42 03-01-2023 10:09

lets see what 2023 brings i have given up on getting sky sports UHD

Mr K 04-01-2023 11:42

A very big price rise is what's coming soon to VM customers. Happy New Year and enjoy !

Legendkiller2k 04-01-2023 13:12

Don't get your hopes up, a very quiet year is expected on all platforms.

fox35 04-01-2023 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143084)
A very big price rise is what's coming soon to VM customers. Happy New Year and enjoy !

Then I'll be finally off for good!
Already prepared with my new in built Roku TV with Freeview Play and recordable usb device, new gen 4K Max Firestick and so just need to research and add my preferred other streaming apps when this current contract ends. How can they justify a very big price rise when energy and food bills are soaring? They should be slashing prices for loyalty and stopping churn.
Cable TV is not in the 90s/00s anymore.

TimeLord2018 04-01-2023 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143084)

I preferred the Title 'Changes to Virgin TV' rather than coming soon.

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

MTV Play is apparently closing on 28th February according to MTV Support
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Conte.../594702#M21043

It wasn't mentioned in Virgin recent agreement with Paramount either.

Mythica 04-01-2023 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36143099)
Already prepared with my new in built Roku TV with Freeview Play and recordable usb device, new gen 4K Max Firestick and so just need to research and add my preferred other streaming apps when this current contract ends. How can they justify a very big price rise when energy and food bills are soaring? They should be slashing prices for loyalty and stopping churn.

They justify by having their own bills to pay.

Of course we don't like price rises, but surely you understand their bills are also rising?

There is no such thing as loyalty. Loyalty isn't threatening to leave if they don't reduce prices.

fox35 04-01-2023 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36143104)
They justify by having their own bills to pay.

Of course we don't like price rises, but surely you understand their bills are also rising?

There is no such thing as loyalty. Loyalty isn't threatening to leave if they don't reduce prices.

Indeed, I agree.
Also, I have never threatened but have always negotiated a good deal at the end of my contracts.
My point was that cable and satellite tv is not the same as it was 20 or so years ago, so overly high price hikes are not warranted any more unless streaming apps are included or more access to their content at the very least.

SonicMaster 04-01-2023 20:22

VM has repeated the same lazy 'just change the date' approach to the January Channel Guides, neglecting to correct any of the errors. New year, same incompetent staff ��

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide

vincerooney 05-01-2023 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36143115)
Indeed, I agree.
Also, I have never threatened but have always negotiated a good deal at the end of my contracts.
My point was that cable and satellite tv is not the same as it was 20 or so years ago, so overly high price hikes are not warranted any more unless streaming apps are included or more access to their content at the very least.

its very odd isn't it? Content is king. Virgin Media without owning any tv content themselves are in a bit of a pickle potentially. People can realistically just have freeview, Netflix, amazon prime for delivery and now tv for sky sports.

what can virgin media offer? 700 live channels very few watch?

Streaming companies need reliable income streams. Virgin Media need to make deals with them.

Legendkiller2k 05-01-2023 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36143099)

Best thing i did was cut the cord, quite happy with my humax aura and nvidia shield although my isp do provide netgem tv at no extra cost as part of my broadband package.

fox35 05-01-2023 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36143150)
its very odd isn't it? Content is king. Virgin Media without owning any tv content themselves are in a bit of a pickle potentially. People can realistically just have freeview, Netflix, amazon prime for delivery and now tv for sky sports.

Streaming companies need reliable income streams. Virgin Media need to make deals with them.

This.

Inactive Digital 05-01-2023 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36143150)

Virgin's business plan isn't to be the king of TV. Since before Liberty Global bought the company, the focus has been on broadband. But by providing TV alongside that, Virgin can also target consumers looking to bundle their services. The recent launch of Stream is another way of trying to protect their broadband customer base from exactly what you describe by aggregating content into one box and letting customers decide what and when they want to subscribe to, rather than have them switch to Now for their broadband and Sky Sports for example. Virgin has deals with the big streamers in place and more will hopefully follow but for Virgin the main aim is to be the broadband service that people use to stream content.

Tricky Trevor 05-01-2023 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36143057)

Ive been thinking exacly the same Dave. It was only promised almost 4 years ago.

RichardCoulter 05-01-2023 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36143151)
Best thing i did was cut the cord, quite happy with my humax aura and nvidia shield although my isp do provide netgem tv at no extra cost as part of my broadband package.

What's Netgem TV like? Never heard of them.

Legendkiller2k 05-01-2023 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143173)
What's Netgem TV like? Never heard of them.

It ain't worth the £15 they charge imo as most of the channels are available via plex live tv anyway but you do get viaplay sport https://www.netgem.co.uk/

RichardCoulter 05-01-2023 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36143187)
It ain't worth the £15 they charge imo as most of the channels are available via plex live tv anyway but you do get viaplay sport https://www.netgem.co.uk/

Thanks- I didn't know that there was a charge, I had assumed it was a freebie with your broadband in a similar way to the free channels given to virgin broadband customers!

Legendkiller2k 06-01-2023 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143193)
Thanks- I didn't know that there was a charge, I had assumed it was a freebie with your broadband in a similar way to the free channels given to virgin broadband customers!

You're technically paying for the viasport channels tbf, there are loads of niche channels on it but as i said most can be found on plex or rlaxx apps.
We do however enjoy wedo movies and thrillertv on it.
Also worth noting the netgem 4k box only has one tuner and you can only record via usb.
Also quite a few key apps are missing aka Netflix, nowtv most notable.
We have the humax aura too that box is a great box but is missing netflix and nowtv.
Netflix and now we watch via the shield anyway.

SonicMaster 06-01-2023 10:26

Virgin Media adds 80 fitness classes to TV service at no extra cost

Content from Nuffield Health, Fiit and Fit at Home is now available to Virgin Media TV customers, at no extra cost, so they can keep fit from the comfort of their own home

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...no-extra-cost/

vincerooney 08-01-2023 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36143251)
Virgin Media adds 80 fitness classes to TV service at no extra cost

Content from Nuffield Health, Fiit and Fit at Home is now available to Virgin Media TV customers, at no extra cost, so they can keep fit from the comfort of their own home

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...no-extra-cost/

....don't want haha. Anything else please Virgin media....

JMcB 08-01-2023 19:05

Any word on 4k/UHD channels coming. I know BBC iPlayer is still running the UHD in the settings options and that VM have a part time channel.

Media Boy UK 08-01-2023 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcB (Post 36143369)
Any word on 4k/UHD channels coming. I know BBC iPlayer is still running the UHD in the settings options and that VM have a part time channel.

No word.

I wish Virgin would get off their backside and launch more channels. I'm starting to think Virgin don't know the UK have more broadcasters than the big 7 (The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Paramount. Warner Bros Discovery, UKTV and Sky.).

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I am starting to watch That's Media Ltd own channels more over the last few months via Freeview.

cheekyangus 08-01-2023 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143371)
No word.

I wish Virgin would get off their backside and launch more channels. I'm starting to think Virgin don't know the UK have more broadcasters than the big 7 (The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Paramount. Warner Bros Discovery, UKTV and Sky.).

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I am starting to watch That's Media Ltd own channels more over the last few months via Freeview.

You mean listen...the picture quality is bloomin' appalling on their channels, both on DTT and Satellite. :D

1andrew1 09-01-2023 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143193)

Grass is not always greener!

Aguero9320 09-01-2023 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36143373)
You mean listen...the picture quality is bloomin' appalling on their channels, both on DTT and Satellite. :D

Agreed. I’ve got Sky Q and can confirm most channels outside Sky, PSBs and the US giants have awful audio and picture quality.

ozsat 10-01-2023 11:36

Yes - Talking Pictures is an example of this.
Terrible on Sky but noticably better picture on Freeview and Virgin.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36143408)
Agreed. I’ve got Sky Q and can confirm most channels outside Sky, PSBs and the US giants have awful audio and picture quality.

Media Boy UK 11-01-2023 02:16

Heads up: Create and Craft may close by April on Virgin Media.

Base on info I saw online last year [link no longer online] Hochanda deal with Virgin Media is up this year (around March/April time).

Virgin's deal with Create & Craft was set to be up before April 2023 before Hochanda took them last year.

I have no idea on what may happen to ex-sister channel Ideal World via Virgin Media.

RichardCoulter 11-01-2023 12:20

It's very difficult for the smaller channels to be on Virgin due to the cost. Out of all the platforms, Virgin is the least cost effective, which is why so many are missing.

Shopping channels receive none of the subscription money, in fact they have to pay to be on the platform. To make it financially viable a minimum number of extra sales have to be generated by being on cable.

Mr K 11-01-2023 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143532)

Base on info I saw online last year [link no longer online] Hochanda deal with Virgin Media is up this year (around March/April time).

Virgin's deal with Create & Craft was set to be up before April 2023 before Hochanda took them last year.

I have no idea on what may happen to ex-sister channel Ideal World via Virgin Media.

Hooray! The channel is an offence against anyone with a life ;)

RichardCoulter 11-01-2023 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143532)

Seen a claim that Ideal World will be closing on Virgin on the 17th Do these two channels have any connection?

epsilon 11-01-2023 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143549)
It's very difficult for the smaller channels to be on Virgin due to the cost. Out of all the platforms, Virgin is the least cost effective, which is why so many are missing.

Shopping channels receive none of the subscription money, in fact they have to pay to be on the platform. To make it financially viable a minimum number of extra sales have to be generated by being on cable.

Probably more a case of shopping channels not being able to compete with online only retailers which don't have the same overheads.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143567)
Seen a claim that Ideal World will be closing on Virgin on the 17th Do these two channels have any connection?

The original Ideal World owners sold Create & Craft to Hochanda and later disposed of the Ideal World business to its new owners. Perhaps the new owners acquired the legacy contracts but don't want to renew them, that might explain the timing.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143563)

:D

Paul 11-01-2023 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36143563)

How do know about it then ? :erm:

I've never ever heard of it, as I do have a life. ;)

Media Boy UK 12-01-2023 00:30

Quote:

I have found out the claim was started on "Shopping Telly" on Tuesday. with a following post:

Quote:

Just went to Ideal World and a banner came up and said it was closing on 17th January.
https://forum.shoppingtelly.com/thre...january.65413/

Watching IW right now - with no banner.

jfman 12-01-2023 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143549)

Wait there while I get the world’s smallest violin out for the shopping channels.

epsilon 12-01-2023 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36143589)
Wait there while I get the world’s smallest violin out for the shopping channels.

Are you ordering it from Ideal World? ;)

1andrew1 12-01-2023 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36143598)
Are you ordering it from Ideal World? ;)

:D:D:D

newapollo 12-01-2023 12:36

Would it be an "Ideal World" if there were no shopping channels ? :jk:

SonicMaster 12-01-2023 13:39

According to VM, Yesterday+1 and Drama+1 are now available in HD on 217 and 226:

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide

It is, of course, yet another mistake. Only the main versions of these channels are available in HD on 129 and 130.

Media Boy UK 13-01-2023 16:24

Next week Virgin Media changes:

Jan. 16th:
*Sky Cinema British Icons HD renames to Sky Cinema Greats HD
*Sky Cinema Twilight HD renames to ​Sky Cinema HD

Jan. 17th:
*BBC One Oxford HD closes in local area - sub region absorbed into BBC One South HD
*BBC One East W HD closes in local area - sub region absorbed into BBC One East (East) HD
*​BBC One East (East) HD changes name to BBC One East HD following the BBC One East (West) HD closure

Jan. 19th:
*​Sky Cinema Dystopia HD renames to Sky Sci-Fi and Horror HD

Mad Max 13-01-2023 18:35

I may have missed this, but is Paramount + coming to Virgin?

BenMcr 13-01-2023 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36143650)
I may have missed this, but is Paramount + coming to Virgin?

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/par...nel-portfolio/

Dave42 15-01-2023 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36143655)

hopefully it be in first quarter of year

epsilon 16-01-2023 10:51

Eurosport UHD now active on channel 523 for anyone interested in tennis.

RichardCoulter 16-01-2023 15:35

Another slap in the face for Virgin TV customers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpactPlayaz;d-2441159
Full Discovery+ package, including sports content, available for free to anyone taking a subscription through Sky Q, Sky Glass or Sky Stream.

Anyone who was on the 12-month free Discovery+ entertainment only plan through Sky Q will be automatically upgraded.

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...-6-99-a-month-

Dingbat 16-01-2023 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143736)

Give it time.

Sky were relatively quick off the mark with integrating Netflix into their subscriptions, but VM finally got there sometime later. They may already be negotiating.

Itshim 16-01-2023 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36143738)
Give it time.

Sky were relatively quick off the mark with integrating Netflix into their subscriptions, but VM finally got there sometime later. They may already be negotiating.

Sorry have I missed something , as far as I can tell netflix is not "free" you just pay in your bundle . If not how do you do it. :confused:

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36143738)
Give it time.

Sorry have I missed something , as far as I can tell netflix is not "free" you just pay in your bundle . If not how do you do it. :confused: seeing more and more reasons to jump ship

1andrew1 16-01-2023 19:58

Quote:

Probably more about Discovery +'s take-up levels than anything else.

Wouldn't rule out a similar deal with VM.

Legendkiller2k 17-01-2023 02:33

Quote:

Discovery+ takeup has been a disaster they are talking with vm, netgem, talktalk and some isps.

Itshim 17-01-2023 12:08

Sorry about double post , however the question is is netflix free ? As I pay separately would like to know

Inactive Digital 17-01-2023 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36143798)
Sorry about double post , however the question is is netflix free ? As I pay separately would like to know

Dingbat wasn't saying it is free. The point being made was that it can be added to packages and billed by Sky - it's called the Ultimate TV add on.

Joedm45 17-01-2023 13:53

Also, VM top package 'Ultimate Volt bundle' includes Standard Netflix within the price

Media Boy UK 17-01-2023 17:21

Media Boy UK View:

BT and Warner Bros. Discovery did completed their transaction to form a joint sports venture on September 1st 2022. So far BT Sport and Eurosport UK has retain their separate brands.

Will we need to wait until August before we see them being brought together under a single brand?

Itshim 17-01-2023 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36143800)
Dingbat wasn't saying it is free. The point being made was that it can be added to packages and billed by Sky - it's called the Ultimate TV add on.

Sorry don't read it like that, sky integrated in to package ( so costs no more) virgin is a bolt on i e cost s more . Looked at sky and it is in the lower packages at no extra cost , not saying that package costs more ,haven't checked but it is in all packages I looked at:dozey:

TimeLord2018 17-01-2023 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36143684)
hopefully it be in first quarter of year

Hopefully March , apparently MTV Play is getting discontinued at the end of February
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Conte.../594702#M21043

I can see Apple TV+ getting added at some point, O2 priority are giving away 3 months Free which is available to anyone on Virgin Media O2 even without mobile.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143822)
Media Boy UK View:

BT and Warner Bros. Discovery did completed their transaction to form a joint sports venture on September 1st 2022. So far BT Sport and Eurosport UK has retain their separate brands.

Will we need to wait until August before we see them being brought together under a single brand?

Interestingly on Sports section on Discovery+ app on Sky it doesn't list Eurosport as channel brand as you would expect.

Media Boy UK 17-01-2023 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36143825)
Interestingly on Sports section on Discovery+ app on Sky it doesn't mention Eurosport at all

I only says August due to:

*Sky did launch Sky Sports Football in July in 2017 (I think) - for a start of that season football.
*BT Sport launch all of their channels on August 1st over the years.
*Eurosport did launch Eurosport News on August 1st 1999.

1andrew1 17-01-2023 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36143825)
Interestingly on Sports section on Discovery+ app on Sky it doesn't list Eurosport as channel brand as you would expect.

WBD has plenty of brands so I could see Eurosport and BT Sport being replaced by "Discovery Sport" and maybe "Discovery Sport Premium" for some of the former BT Sport channels in the future.

Media Boy UK 17-01-2023 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36143828)
WBD has plenty of brands so I could see Eurosport and BT Sport being replaced by "Discovery Sport" and maybe "Discovery Sport Premium" for some of the former BT Sport channels in the future.

I has been thinking that way too but with no channel closing.

With maybe Eurosport 1 becoming Discovery Sports Mix or even Quest Sport - and also launching on Freeview with WBD reusing Really or Quest +1 slots on Freeview for it.

Inactive Digital 17-01-2023 18:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36143823)
Sorry don't read it like that, sky integrated in to package ( so costs no more) virgin is a bolt on i e cost s more . Looked at sky and it is in the lower packages at no extra cost , not saying that package costs more ,haven't checked but it is in all packages I looked at:dozey:

They might market it as one package, but the customer still pays for it.

Paul 17-01-2023 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36143830)

Looking at your attachment, since when has Sky Signature been £15 a month ?

Inactive Digital 17-01-2023 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36143841)
Looking at your attachment, since when has Sky Signature been £15 a month ?

I'm on a retention deal ;)

Media Boy UK 17-01-2023 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36143779)
Discovery+ takeup has been a disaster they are talking with vm, netgem, talktalk and some isps.

Just open some PM from over the past weekend and a Media Boy source also told me a same thing - sent to me on Saturday.

vincerooney 18-01-2023 02:10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_programming i wonder why the discovery + take up has been so slow

OLD BOY 18-01-2023 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36143853)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_programming i wonder why the discovery + take up has been so slow

Because the documentaries are not much good on the whole, with one or two exceptions, and it seems to be mainly reality TV. Things may change when it gets the dramas put on there with the recent merger with Warner Bros, but until that happens, I don’t think the take-up will be huge.

Aguero9320 18-01-2023 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36143855)
Because the documentaries are not much good on the whole, with one or two exceptions, and it seems to be mainly reality TV. Things may change when it gets the dramas put on there with the recent merger with Warner Bros, but until that happens, I don’t think the take-up will be huge.

Discovery+ has content from A&E, Lifetime etc. in North America. I've recently noticed content is arriving on Disney+ next month, just to expand its reach.

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36143828)

Discovery Sports is most likely. I also wouldn't rule out a slot (Quest+1, maybe) being reused for a Freeview-exclusive channel to showcase WBD's sports portfolio.

Legendkiller2k 18-01-2023 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36143853)

On the US side some is backash on all the WBDiscovery cancellations people don't want endless unscripted shows they want quality dramas etc.

1andrew1 18-01-2023 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36143875)
On the US side some is backash on all the WBDiscovery cancellations people don't want endless unscripted shows they want quality dramas etc.

Shouldn't be a surprise for people as they know what the Discovery channel is.

Inactive Digital 18-01-2023 13:36

Discovery+ was a late contender in an increasingly crowded marketplace. WBD has a lot of work to do.

Itshim 18-01-2023 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36143830)

Didn't say it cost less, however for me , virgin is well over a similar package on sky giving me a saving ( on list price) with Atlantic , discovery+ and Netflix . . :erm:

Legendkiller2k 18-01-2023 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36143881)
Shouldn't be a surprise for people as they know what the Discovery channel is.

It's what they are doing to HBOMAX that's the issue.

Inactive Digital 18-01-2023 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36143902)
Didn't say it cost less, however for me , virgin is well over a similar package on sky giving me a saving ( on list price) with Atlantic , discovery+ and Netflix . . :erm:

I probably misunderstood your original question, I thought you were asking whether Netflix is free on Sky. I agree Virgin is expensive for TV and I pay less by not bundling all my services together. Virgin's Stream does seem better value then V6/360, though there are some big differences in functionality.

Itshim 18-01-2023 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36143911)
I probably misunderstood your original question, I thought you were asking whether Netflix is free on Sky. I agree Virgin is expensive for TV and I pay less by not bundling all my services together. Virgin's Stream does seem better value then V6/360, though there are some big differences in functionality.

No problem , thought you were saying that Netflix was not a bolt on but part of a package . Couldn't find it !!! And am I out of contact, so looking around .

Media Boy UK 19-01-2023 22:42

Quote:

As reported on January 12th Ideal World was rumoured to be set to close yesterday (Wednesday) - but it still broadcasting on Virgin Media.

If Virgin has signed a new deal with Ideal World will the following channels launch soon on Virgin Media?:

*Ideal Extra
*Ideal World HD (If channel do launch Virgin will drop it SD Channel)

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

I have been told by a Virgin Media viewer on Twitter that Sky Kids content is starting appear on Virgin TV Go.

https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/e.../sky-kids.html

Source: Twitter/Martin.

SonicMaster 20-01-2023 12:13

It's good to see the Sky Kids content starting to appear on VM.

With the closure of the Disney channels, the Kids Pack on VM was looking a little weak in terms on content (with just the TV channels and on demand content from WBD and Paramount) so this definitely helps to bolster it a bit.

BenMcr 20-01-2023 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143974)
I have been told by a Virgin Media viewer on Twitter that Sky Kids content is starting appear on Virgin TV Go.

https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/e.../sky-kids.html

Source: Twitter/Martin.

It's in the On Demand content on the TV boxes too, not just TV Go.

Media Boy UK 20-01-2023 17:52

Some Sky Channels to move on Tuesday:

So far confirmed:

Sky Max HD will move from Virgin Channel 121 to Virgin Channel 111.
Sky Nature SD Channel may close.

Aguero9320 20-01-2023 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143974)
As reported on January 12th Ideal World was rumoured to be set to close yesterday (Wednesday) - but it still broadcasting on Virgin Media.

If Virgin has signed a new deal with Ideal World will the following channels launch soon on Virgin Media?:

*Ideal Extra
*Ideal World HD (If channel do launch Virgin will drop it SD Channel)[COLOR="Silver"]

Other than Freeview, is Virgin the only TV provider still airing Ideal World in SD?

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36144008)
Some Sky Channels to move on Tuesday:

So far confirmed:

Sky Max HD will move from Virgin Channel 121 to Virgin Channel 111.
Sky Nature SD Channel may close.

Looks like Sky might close their SD channels on Virgin before long. After the BBC switchover in satellite, I’d imagine Sky will follow VM in closing SD variants, too.

trueblood 20-01-2023 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36143057)

Hi there looks like you're wish could soon be here. Check out digital bitrate.
https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

epsilon 20-01-2023 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueblood (Post 36144045)
Hi there looks like you're wish could soon be here. Check out digital bitrate.
https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

Virgin is getting top heavy with so many new UHD channels. ;)

RichardCoulter 20-01-2023 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36144041)
Other than Freeview, is Virgin the only TV provider still airing Ideal World in SD?

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Looks like Sky might close their SD channels on Virgin before long. After the BBC switchover in satellite, I’d imagine Sky will follow VM in closing SD variants, too.

Meaning that the top packs are devalued even more. I'm gradually getting back all the channels that I used to pay extra for, despite downgrading :D

The downside is that they will use more of the limited disc space available.

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36144041)

More channel numbers are set to change on Tuesday on Virgin Media UK (Base on TiVo - At time of posting)

NOW:
106. E4
109. Sky Showcase HD
110. Sky Showcase
111. Sky Witness HD
112. Sky Witness
121. Sky Max HD
122. Sky Max
123. Sky Comedy HD
135. Sky Comedy
136. Sky Crime HD
137. Sky Crime
138. Sky Sci-Fi HD
139. Sky Sci-Fi
140. Sky Arts HD
143. 4Seven
145. E4 HD
146. E4 +1
147. More4
156. Pick
160. Challenge
163. E! HD
164. E!
165. Sky Arts
193. 4Seven HD
195. More 4 HD
196. More 4 +1
220. Sky Witness +1
221. Sky Crime +1
270. Sky History HD
271. Sky History +1
272. Sky History 2 HD
277. Sky Documentaries HD
278. Sky Documentaries
279. Sky Nature HD
280. Sky Nature
337. E4 Extra
428. Film4
429. Film4 HD
430. Film4 +1
519. Sky Sports News
520. Sky Sports Mix
603. Sky News

From Tuesday:
106. E4 HD (Not Confirmed)
109. Sky Showcase HD
110. Sky Witness HD (Not Confirmed)
111. Sky Max HD (Confirmed)
112. Sky Comedy HD (Confirmed)
121. Sky Crime HD (Confirmed)
122. Sky Sci-Fi HD (Confirmed)
123. Sky Arts HD (Not Confirmed)
135. tbc
136. tbc
137. tbc
138. tbc
139. tbc
140. tbc
143. 4Seven HD (Not Confirmed)
145. tbc
146. E4 +1
147. More4 HD (Confirmed)
156. tbc
160. E! HD (Confirmed)
163. tbc
164. tbc
165. tbc
180. tbc
193. tbc
195. tbc
196. tbc
220. tbc
221. tbc
270. tbc
271. tbc
272. tbc
277. Sky Documentaries HD
278. Sky Nature HD (Confirmed)
279. tbc
280. tbc
337. tbc
428. Film4 HD (Not Confirmed)
429. tbc
430. Film4 +1
519. Sky Sports News SD to close (Confirmed)
520. Sky Sports Mix SD to close (Not Confirmed)
603. Sky News SD to close (Not Confirmed)

Still news on new channels numbers for

*Pick
*Challenge
*Sky Replay
*Sky Witness +1
*Sky Crime +1
*4Seven HD
*More4 +1
*Sky History HD
*Sky History +1
*Sky History 2 HD
*E4 Extra

*Not yet confirmed.

epsilon 21-01-2023 02:06

Provisional EPG slots for the Sky Sports UHD channels:

532 SkySportsMainEventUHD (a catchy name for that one :D )

533 Sky Sports UHD 1

534 Sky Sports UHD 2

Only added to 1 internal network at the moment, so don't try to tune in just yet.

Aguero9320 21-01-2023 12:57

Should VM just merge the Documentaries and Lifestyle sections into General Entertainment now. Now SD variants are closing, there’s no better opportunity for them than the present. Sky and Freesat have already done it.

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36144067)
Should VM just merge the Documentaries and Lifestyle sections into General Entertainment now. Now SD variants are closing, there’s no better opportunity for them than the present. Sky and Freesat have already done it.

Sky History Channels are down as may/may not move on Tuesday at time of posting Sky are set to give up their main Channels 135 to 140 slots on Virgin Media from Tuesday.

As E! HD is set to move to Channel 160* (where Challenge is right now).

*I would have think that E! would be moving to Channel 137 base on Sky EPG slots on Virgin right now.

Here is my own would be list in full:

135. Pick
136. Challenge
137. E! HD
138. Sky Replay
139. Sky Witness +1
140. Sky Crime +1

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36144053)
Provisional EPG slots for the Sky Sports UHD channels:

532 SkySportsMainEventUHD (a catchy name for that one :D )

533 Sky Sports UHD 1

534 Sky Sports UHD 2

Only added to 1 internal network at the moment, so don't try to tune in just yet.

Any tests yet for Pick HD and Sky Replay HD (Streaming on Sky Glass right now.) Plus Sky Kids Channel?

TimeLord2018 21-01-2023 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36144077)
Sky History Channels are down as may/may not move on Tuesday at time of posting Sky are set to give up their main Channels 135 to 140 slots on Virgin Media from Tuesday.

As E! HD is set to move to Channel 160* (where Challenge is right now).

*I would have think that E! would be moving to Channel 137 base on Sky EPG slots on Virgin right now.

Here is my own would be list in full:

135. Pick
136. Challenge
137. E! HD
138. Sky Replay
139. Sky Witness +1
140. Sky Crime +1

E! Is now after Sky Replay on Sky EPG on 159, it got demoted again, I can see the channel closing at some point.

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 15:56

Virgin Media EPG Changes - confirmed:

Two more channels set to move on Tuesday on Virgin Media:

Info thinks to James Robinson via Twitter.

*Comedy Central Extra to move from Channel 182 to Channel 154 (Where Channel 5 SD is right now.)
*Sky Sports Mix SD Channel to close on Channel 510.

TimeLord2018 21-01-2023 16:09

Guessing Paramount SD channels are getting removed since they agreed a new carriage agreement with Paramount.

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36144082)
Guessing Paramount SD channels are getting removed since they agreed a new carriage agreement with Paramount.

Following channels need new EPG slots from Tuesday:
*Challenge

Following channels may move on Tuesday:
*E4 HD (on TiVo boxes) to channel 106.
*Pick
*Sky Replay
*5USA +1
*5STAR +1
*4Seven HD (on TiVo boxes) to channel 142.
*More4 +1
*Sky Witness +1
*Sky Crime +1
*Sky History HD
*Sky History +1
*Sky History 2 HD
*MTV 90s
*MTV 80s
*E4 +1 (Moving to Channel 144?)
*E4 Extra (To Channel 145?)
*Film4 HD (on TiVo boxes) to channel 428.
*Nick HD (on TiVo boxes) to channel 712.

Following channels may close on Tuesday:
*E4 SD
*MTV SD
*Comedy Central SD
*5ACTION SD
*Film4 SD
*Sky News SD
*Nickelodeon SD

Following channels will close on Tuesday - been confirmed:
*Sky Showcase
*Sky Witness
*Sky Max
*Sky Comedy
*Sky Crime
*Sky Sci-Fi
*Sky Arts
*More4
*Channel 5
*E!
*Sky Arts
*Sky Documentaries
*Sky Nature
*Sky Sports News
*Sky Sports Mix

All information on this post is right at time of posting.

Itshim 21-01-2023 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36144084)
*Challenge

*Pick
*Sky Replay
*5USA +1
*5STAR +1
*More4 +1
*Sky Witness +1
*Sky Crime +1
*Sky History HD
*Sky History +1
*Sky History 2 HD
*MTV 90s
*MTV 80s

*Sky Showcase
*Sky Witness
*Sky Max
*Sky Comedy
*Sky Crime
*Sky Sci-Fi
*Sky Arts
*More4
*Channel 5
*E!
*Sky Arts
*Sky Documentaries
*Sky Nature
*Sky Sports News
*Sky Sports Mix

Nice to see the epg is up to date ....... Not :shocked:

TimeLord2018 21-01-2023 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36144084)
*Challenge

*Pick
*Sky Replay
*5USA +1
*5STAR +1
*More4 +1
*Sky Witness +1
*Sky Crime +1
*Sky History HD
*Sky History +1
*Sky History 2 HD
*MTV 90s
*MTV 80s
*Nick HD (on TiVo boxes) to channel 712.

Following channels may close on Tuesday:
*E4 SD
*MTV SD
*Comedy Central SD
*5ACTION SD
*Film4 SD
*Sky News SD
*Nickelodeon SD

*Sky Showcase
*Sky Witness
*Sky Max
*Sky Comedy
*Sky Crime
*Sky Sci-Fi
*Sky Arts
*More4
*Channel 5
*E!
*Sky Arts
*Sky Documentaries
*Sky Nature
*Sky Sports News
*Sky Sports Mix

Nat Geo , Film4 , 4Seven ,TCM (WBD) , Cartoon Network (WBD), Nickelodeon, ITV2, 3 , 4 and Be are going HD only.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ls/p346#latest

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36144090)
Nat Geo , Film4 , 4Seven ,TCM (WBD) , Cartoon Network (WBD), Nickelodeon, ITV2, 3 , 4 and Be are going HD only.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ls/p346#latest

Just seen that post.

Aguero9320 21-01-2023 17:26

Based on the information here, it seems the only SD variants not closing are Sky's premium sports channels.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

I'm also surprised VM aren't getting the likes of Boomerang HD, CNN HD, CNBC HD, Nick Jr. HD or the remaining Channel 5 HD channels.

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 17:27

5Action is also going HD only

TimeLord2018 21-01-2023 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36144095)
Based on the information here, it seems the only SD variants not closing are Sky's premium sports channels.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

I'm also surprised VM aren't getting the likes of Boomerang HD, CNN HD, CNBC HD, Nick Jr. HD or the remaining Channel 5 HD channels.

Worth pointing out Yesterday HD and Drama HD didn't launch until months after the other UKTV channels went HD only in July.

Aguero9320 21-01-2023 17:33

Once the BBC SD channels close, do you think Sky Q will follow suit with closing SD variants too?

Media Boy UK 21-01-2023 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36144101)
Once the BBC SD channels close, do you think Sky Q will follow suit with closing SD variants too?

Sky have started to axe SD Channels on Sky Q since last summer.

*Some Sky Cinema Channels are HD only.
*Pick +1 and Syfy +1 was axe.

Aguero9320 21-01-2023 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36144103)
Sky have started to axe SD Channels on Sky Q since last summer.

*Some Sky Cinema Channels are HD only.
*Pick +1 and Syfy +1 was axe.

Since switching to Sky Q, I noticed Sky’s EPG is cluttered with SD variants in the 800s. Closing these will save about 80+ spaces and Sky could move radio stations from 0101-0155 to 801-855.