Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Chaos in the Commons. Will the Speaker survive? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712513)

1andrew1 21-02-2024 23:57

Chaos in the Commons. Will the Speaker survive?

I can't see Hoyle surviving this. By his actions, he looks biased, even if there were nobler intentions. So he's lost his authority in the Commons making him ineffective.

Quote:

Gaza ceasefire vote: Commons debate descends into chaos

A Commons debate on calls for a ceasefire in Gaza descended into chaos, after the Speaker was accused of allowing it to be "hijacked" by Labour.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle sparked fury from the SNP and Conservatives when he broke with convention to allow a vote on a Labour motion for an "immediate humanitarian ceasefire".

The Speaker later apologised, saying he had acted "with the right intentions".

But the SNP said they had been "treated with complete and utter contempt".

Labour's amendment went through to loud shouts of "aye" without a formal vote, after the government said it would not take part in protest.

This meant there was no vote on the SNP's motion, which called for an "immediate ceasefire", and was originally meant to be the focus of the debate.

The government does not have to adopt Labour's position as the vote is not binding.

In extraordinary scenes, SNP MPs and some Tories walked out of the chamber over the Speaker's handling of the vote.

Following calls for him to return to explain his decision, Sir Lindsay told the Commons he chose to allow a vote on the Labour motion so MPs could express their view on "the widest range of propositions".

Amid shouts of resign, he said: "I thought I was doing the right thing and the best thing, and I regret it, and I apologise for how it's ended up.

Sir Lindsay was first elected as a Labour MP but after becoming Speaker he relinquished his party affiliation, as is the convention.

While he said he would meet key MPs from the main parties to discuss what happened, intense pressure remains on the Speaker.

More than 30 Tory and SNP MPs have declared they have no confidence in him by signing an early day motion.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68362405

Media Boy UK 22-02-2024 00:25

Re: Chaos in the Commons. Will the Speaker survive?

Who need Sky Comedy when the Commons is setting?

Dave42 22-02-2024 00:34

Quote:

Natasha Clark@NatashaC
Multiple Tory MPs say Penny Mordaunt pulled tonight's amendment because govt did not have votes to support Israel 'humanitarian pause' motion.

Rumour is that too many Tories had told Whips they were minded to back the Labour motion in favour of full fat ceasefire...
https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1760402023294415113

jfman 22-02-2024 08:43

The mother of all pantomimes.

denphone 22-02-2024 08:59

Parliament at its worse.

Pierre 22-02-2024 09:50

The sad thing is, it was a performative vote on an issue they hold no sway over, and it had nothing to do with what's happening in Gaza, and everything to do with the internal politics of the Labour party.

Shameful.

mrmistoffelees 22-02-2024 09:51

I don’t have as much political nouse as others on here.

Why is this such a problem ?

jfman 22-02-2024 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36170679)
I don’t have as much political nouse as others on here.

Why is this such a problem ?

In one sentence “rules is rules - and they got thrown out the window”.

The established procedure was for the SNP to have a vote on their thing (the embarrassing bit for Labour) and then any subsequent amendments made.

Instead, it was hijacked by the Labour Party against the established procedures on frivolous grounds by the Speaker. Labour have had numerous opportunities in Parliament to say they want a ceasefire and declined to use the time allotted to them for this.

mrmistoffelees 22-02-2024 10:19

Cheers !

Sephiroth 22-02-2024 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170680)
In one sentence “rules is rules - and they got thrown out the window”.

The established procedure was for the SNP to have a vote on their thing (the embarrassing bit for Labour) and then any subsequent amendments made.

Instead, it was hijacked by the Labour Party against the established procedures on frivolous grounds by the Speaker. Labour have had numerous opportunities in Parliament to say they want a ceasefire and declined to use the time allotted to them for this.

Anyone disagreeing with you would be wrong.

Mr K 22-02-2024 16:02

All irrelevant twaddle. If any of the rest of us got up and walked out on our jobs.. Load of prima donnas looking for any distraction from the crap job they're not doing.

pip08456 22-02-2024 19:44

Putting aside the apparent fiasco in Parliament could anyone tell me what would happen in Isreal should either the SNP or Labour proposals win votes?

I would think Naff-all.

jfman 22-02-2024 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36170716)
Putting aside the apparent fiasco in Parliament could anyone tell me what would happen in Isreal should either the SNP or Labour proposals win votes?

I would think Naff-all.

Likewise if the Government passed a vote.

It doesn’t stop many pointless virtue signalling statements or motions, from Government or opposition parties, being made day in and day out in the chamber.

Indeed only yesterday Rishi Sunak, Sir Kier and Stephen Flynn all paid tribute to Russian dissident and probable western intelligence asset Alexei Navalny who, despite dying last week, is only marginally less likely to hold public office in the future than he was the week before last.

Damien 22-02-2024 20:56

Labour certainly seem to have got up to some Parliamentary skullduggery yesterday but it's hard to feel sorry for the SNP who were playing their own games as well.

jfman 22-02-2024 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36170718)
Labour certainly seem to have got up to some Parliamentary skullduggery yesterday but it's hard to feel sorry for the SNP who were playing their own games as well.

It’s hardly “games” to use their allotted time to discuss an issue that they’ve been vocal about, in Holyrood and at Westminster, for months.

It’s one of biggest global issues at present and one that the SNP disagree fundamentally with the Government. The calendar may have given the SNP some luck.

The only games being played were by the Labour Party and the now discredited Speaker. The ability or otherwise of Starmer to have coherence among the members behind him should never be a factor in the Speaker hijacking the Parliamentary timetable under the guise of security threats. The last Labour opposition day was February 6th when they could have devoted time to this but elected not to.

Hugh 22-02-2024 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170717)
Likewise if the Government passed a vote.

It doesn’t stop many pointless virtue signalling statements or motions, from Government or opposition parties, being made day in and day out in the chamber.

Indeed only yesterday Rishi Sunak, Sir Kier and Stephen Flynn all paid tribute to Russian dissident and probable western intelligence asset Alexei Navalny who, despite dying last week, is only marginally less likely to hold public office in the future than he was the week before last.

Nice to see you spreading the Party line, tovarisch…

https://tass.com/politics/1207373

jfman 22-02-2024 21:54

No other line worth peddling in that story, comrade.

Damien 22-02-2024 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170720)
It’s hardly “games” to use their allotted time to discuss an issue that they’ve been vocal about, in Holyrood and at Westminster, for months.

It’s one of biggest global issues at present and one that the SNP disagree fundamentally with the Government. The calendar may have given the SNP some luck.

The game is designing a motion that the Labour leadership can't vote for in the hope their backbenchers would rebel. If they wanted the motion to pass they could have addressed the concerns of the Labour Party and the Lib Dems to come up with a motion that had cross-party appeal. The Lib Dems tried to work with them, but the SNP rejected it.

All three parties were playing politics trying to cause issues for each other. The Tories and SNP were essentially trying to snooker Labour into an awkward position, the speaker bailed them out.

jfman 22-02-2024 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36170730)
The game is designing a motion that the Labour leadership can't vote for in the hope their backbenchers would rebel. If they wanted the motion to pass they could have addressed the concerns of the Labour Party and the Lib Dems to come up with a motion that had cross-party appeal. The Lib Dems tried to work with them, but the SNP rejected it.

All three parties were playing politics trying to cause issues for each other. The Tories and SNP were essentially trying to snooker Labour into an awkward position, the speaker bailed them out.

I think it’s disingenuous to suggest or imply the SNP were gaming the system to make things difficult for Labour.

The fact it was difficult for Labour is due to Starmer’s lack of backbone on the Israel issue - which has had shadow Ministers resign and was increasingly untenable. His need to qualify every statement to satisfy the pro-Israel lobby put him in that position and no-one else.

I agree the Speaker bailed them out however it was entirely improper for him to do so.

Would he do the same for Starmer as PM? I suggest we will never find out.

Damien 22-02-2024 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170731)
I think it’s disingenuous to suggest or imply the SNP were gaming the system to make things difficult for Labour.

I am not saying they were 'gaming' the system. I am saying they designed a motion designed to trip Labour up which is why I don't feel a great deal of sympathy for them that it went wrong.

Quote:

The fact it was difficult for Labour is due to Starmer’s lack of backbone on the Israel issue - which has had shadow Ministers resign and was increasingly untenable. His need to qualify every statement to satisfy the pro-Israel lobby put him in that position and no-one else.
It was difficult for Labour because Labour wanted to include more onus on the fact that Hamas also have to abide by any ceasefire. If the SNP had included that and taken out of the collective punishment bit then Labour would have voted for the position. The Lib Dems pretty much asked for the same thing and were denied.

It's politics and all the parties play it.

The speaker shouldn't have selected Labour's motion but I am not buying the SNP's pearl-clutching here.

jfman 22-02-2024 22:47

I’m not convinced a straightforward motion in line with their own stance calling for a ceasefire which the Government and opposition could then vote for or against is “designed” to do anything other than what it said on the tin.

I’m equally unconvinced that your dismissal of objecting to not following established process as “pearl clutching” is motivated by anything other than your own political bias.

The SNP aren’t obliged to water their motions down to suit the Labour Party or anyone else. The Speaker had a choice to follow established process or go rogue. He chose the latter. Labour and Hoyle have damaged our democratic institutions for no good reason other than to save Starmer from embarrassment. You might think that’s a worthwhile reason, I however do not.

I do agree all parties “play politics” however it was up to Starmer to find a way out within the rules, not to ride roughshod all over them.

Hugh 22-02-2024 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170722)
No other line worth peddling in that story, comrade.

https://media.tenor.com/A9slBvmNADAA...tin-ketawa.gif

nomadking 23-02-2024 08:19

The real issue is that Starmer interfered with and overtly influenced the supposedly impartial Speaker. Think of the situation in a court case, where either the prosecution or defence did that. If Starmer actually wanted to raise a point, then is should be made in the open and able to be criticised or possibly supported.

Maggy 23-02-2024 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36170676)
Parliament at its worse.

Or at it's best..

---------- Post added at 08:41 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36170699)
All irrelevant twaddle. If any of the rest of us got up and walked out on our jobs.. Load of prima donnas looking for any distraction from the crap job they're not doing.

:tu:

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36170718)

:tu:

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

I'm frankly sick of the vast majority of all MPs supposedly representing their constituents but enjoying a nice comfy working lifestyle that their constituents would love to be available to them but find their daily circumstances decree otherwise.

Damien 23-02-2024 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170733)
I’m not convinced a straightforward motion in line with their own stance calling for a ceasefire which the Government and opposition could then vote for or against is “designed” to do anything other than what it said on the tin.

Of course, it is.

If you're the third largest party and you genuinely want a motion to pass then you need to build cross-party consensus. The SNP knew, and were told, that a motion that didn't also mention that Israel has a right to defend itself and didn't condemn Hamas violence wasn't going to pass.

It was a motion designed to be defeated so they could grandstand after the fact.

They even left the chamber for the actual vote!

Quote:

I’m equally unconvinced that your dismissal of objecting to not following established process as “pearl clutching” is motivated by anything other than your own political bias.
I agree with you that the Labour motion shouldn't have been selected and Labour were playing politics. I just disagree the SNP had pure intentions.

You seem to have a level of cynicism you suspend the moment the line being delivered to you is presented as an alternative take to the establishment. Labour/Tories bad, SNP Good. The West bad, Kremlin good.

jonbxx 23-02-2024 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36170732)
I am not saying they were 'gaming' the system. I am saying they designed a motion designed to trip Labour up which is why I don't feel a great deal of sympathy for them that it went wrong.

It was difficult for Labour because Labour wanted to include more onus on the fact that Hamas also have to abide by any ceasefire. If the SNP had included that and taken out of the collective punishment bit then Labour would have voted for the position. The Lib Dems pretty much asked for the same thing and were denied.

It's politics and all the parties play it.

The speaker shouldn't have selected Labour's motion but I am not buying the SNP's pearl-clutching here.

Exactly this. The SNP motion had the term ‘collective punishment’ in it that no serious party of government or potential government could sign up to without some serious strong evidence. Basically, you don’t accuse nation states of war crimes unless you are really sure if you want to be taken seriously as a government.

The SNP only stood to gain from labour and indeed the Conservatives not voting for the motion from a political point of view.

It’s pretty shoddy using a desperate international situation to further your domestic political ambitions.

jfman 23-02-2024 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36170745)
Exactly this. The SNP motion had the term ‘collective punishment’ in it that no serious party of government or potential government could sign up to without some serious strong evidence. Basically, you don’t accuse nation states of war crimes unless you are really sure if you want to be taken seriously as a government.

The SNP only stood to gain from labour and indeed the Conservatives not voting for the motion from a political point of view.

It’s pretty shoddy using a desperate international situation to further your domestic political ambitions.

Red herring alert.

Whether the SNP motion was credible or otherwise is an irrelevance. 600 MPs could have stood there and voted it down, leaving Stephen Flynn howling into the abyss.

And it would have followed the correct process.

The SNP had the right to stand there and put forward a motion that the earth is flat, against all credible scientific evidence, should they so wish.

The rules were broken to give Starmer, and by proxy Israel, cover and deny the SNP their right to put their motion before Parliamentarians first.

The fact that a significant number of Labour MPs, and a small number of Conservatives have publicly said they would have voted for it suggests the accusations are not as incredible as you propose.

Sephiroth 23-02-2024 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36170740)
<SNIP>
I'm frankly sick of the vast majority of all MPs supposedly representing their constituents but enjoying a nice comfy working lifestyle that their constituents would love to be available to them but find their daily circumstances decree otherwise.

What's your alternative suggestion?

I get it, you're disappointed with the MPs - all parties and especially the political games they play for no public benefit. But what can be practically done about it? The whole political system with whips, loyalty, etc is a difficult one to break.

Unless the nasties trying to usurp democracy eventually gain power.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170746)
Red herring alert.

Whether the SNP motion was credible or otherwise is an irrelevance. 600 MPs could have stood there and voted it down, leaving Stephen Flynn howling into the abyss.

And it would have followed the correct process.

The SNP had the right to stand there and put forward a motion that the earth is flat, against all credible scientific evidence, should they so wish.

The rules were broken to give Starmer, and by proxy Israel, cover and deny the SNP their right to put their motion before Parliamentarians first.

Correct - apart from the greyed-out phrase. We must keep 7-Oct in mind and also consider what is a proportional response to roasted babies.

jfman 23-02-2024 10:04

It’s clearly giving Israel cover. Rather than discussing how many of our Parliamentarians are accusing them of collective punishment when they bomb hospitals or have snipers gun down children.

Instead we are discussing some relatively frivolous matter while Labour’s mealy mouthed proposal to semi-justify Israeli alleged war crimes went through on the nod following a Government boycott.

It makes a mockery of the process. Everyone knows it.

nomadking 23-02-2024 11:02

The SNP had the Parliamentary right to bring the motion. Doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not. Convention is that if the Government brings an amendment, then no other opposition party amendment can be brought.
Starmer didn't openly bring the amendment, he just discussed it with the Speaker.

Sephiroth 23-02-2024 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170749)
It’s clearly giving Israel cover. Rather than discussing how many of our Parliamentarians are accusing them of collective punishment when they bomb hospitals or have snipers gun down children.

Instead we are discussing some relatively frivolous matter while Labour’s mealy mouthed proposal to semi-justify Israeli alleged war crimes went through on the nod following a Government boycott.

It makes a mockery of the process. Everyone knows it.

For a change, you are wrong, John (and always wrong on your anti-Israel position).

We have been discussing the Israel/Hamas/Gaza situation through and through for the past months. Now that something new has happened, there is a topic on this new event and it is appropriate to discuss this.

Hugh 23-02-2024 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170747)
What's your alternative suggestion?

I get it, you're disappointed with the MPs - all parties and especially the political games they play for no public benefit. But what can be practically done about it? The whole political system with whips, loyalty, etc is a difficult one to break.

Unless the nasties trying to usurp democracy eventually gain power.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Correct - apart from the greyed-out phrase. We must keep 7-Oct in mind and also consider what is a proportional response to roasted babies.

Too late - the party that unlawfully prorogued Parliament, imposed Voter ID laws when there was no need just to favour themselves, barred colleges and universities from registering their students to vote, brought in voting for emigrants who don't live in the UK*, taken away the Electoral Commission's independence and ability to prosecute, and extensively uses Henry VIII Statutory Instument powers allow ministers to make changes to not only secondary legislation but also primary legislation (Acts of Parliament), without having to go through the full process that an Act of Parliament would normally require to avoid scrutiny in Parliament, have been in power for 14 years...

*by Statutory Instrument, with no Parliamentary Scrutiny

jfman 23-02-2024 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170758)
For a change, you are wrong, John (and always wrong on your anti-Israel position).

We have been discussing the Israel/Hamas/Gaza situation through and through for the past months. Now that something new has happened, there is a topic on this new event and it is appropriate to discuss this.

I’m not questioning the appropriateness - I’m here and active.

I’m only positing what would the news headlines have been had Hoyle done his job correctly and (in all likelihood) the SNP motion failed.

It’d have been how many MPs - specifically Labour MPs - backed it.

Some estimates had the number of potential Labour backers at 90. It’d have been how much authority does Starmer have over his party. Is his fence sitting tenable? Etc.

The Speaker handed out a big get out of jail free card, at the expense of the SNP and due process.

Sephiroth 23-02-2024 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36170769)
Too late - the party that unlawfully prorogued Parliament, imposed Voter ID laws when there was no need just to favour themselves, barred colleges and universities from registering their students to vote, brought in voting for emigrants who don't live in the UK*, taken away the Electoral Commission's independence and ability to prosecute, and extensively uses Henry VIII Statutory Instument powers allow ministers to make changes to not only secondary legislation but also primary legislation (Acts of Parliament), without having to go through the full process that an Act of Parliament would normally require to avoid scrutiny in Parliament, have been in power for 14 years...

*by Statutory Instrument, with no Parliamentary Scrutiny

The Conservatives are not from the culture that has blown us up, murdered our people on the street, wishes Israel to be wiped off the map.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

The Speaker has overstepped the mark and even though there's a mixture of faux outrage and genuine outrage among the MPs, the public must be wondering how hew can retain his impartiality when so blatantly having favoured Labour.

It's a pity.

On my theme, the baying mob outside Parliament, the genocidal message beamed onto Big Ben, the lame police, they are a sign of another culture attacking and gradually destroying our democracy. The Speaker should have focused on that - inhibition of free expression in Parliament.

TheDaddy 23-02-2024 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170747)
We must keep 7-Oct in mind and also consider what is a proportional response to roasted babies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170758)

:spin: imagine having the front to tell someone they're always wrong and using a proven lie to do it

Sephiroth 23-02-2024 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36170770)
I’m not questioning the appropriateness - I’m here and active.

I’m only positing what would the news headlines have been had Hoyle done his job correctly and (in all likelihood) the SNP motion failed.

It’d have been how many MPs - specifically Labour MPs - backed it.

Some estimates had the number of potential Labour backers at 90. It’d have been how much authority does Starmer have over his party. Is his fence sitting tenable? Etc.

The Speaker handed out a big get out of jail free card, at the expense of the SNP and due process.

The motions were all variants of the same thing. The SNP motion was at the Hamza Yousaf end of the spectrum, the Tory motion was at the diplomacy end of the spectrum and the Labour motion was concocted by the tail wagging the dog ahead of the GE. The Speaker should have allowed due process to bring this fiasco of a motion to a conclusion.

Chris 23-02-2024 14:31

Opposition day is rarely about the opposition motion getting carried. Motions presented by minorities are by their nature unlikely to succeed. But that’s not the point of them. They are there to give voice to smaller parties and allow them to choose their topic, state their case and expose what they see as weaknesses in the positions of the other parties. They can do this effectively whether or not they win a vote at the end of it.

The conventions are there to protect that process as a whole and Lindsay Hoyle’s failure to trust processes that are bigger than him has been his undoing. His protestations of good intent don’t really stack up against his refusal to take advice, his refusal to ensure his clerks closely monitored events and advise the deputy speaker as she presided, and his inexcusable failure to be in the chamber while the whole debacle unfolded.

If this had been a momentary brain fart then there were multiple opportunities during the afternoon to change course but he seems to have decided he was bigger than events and wouldn’t be told. The risk that he will do so again when the chips are down rightly causes some MPs to lose confidence in him.

I think he has to go, and within a week he probably will.

jfman 23-02-2024 16:09

100% what Chris just said.

mrmistoffelees 23-02-2024 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170771)
The Conservatives are not from the culture that has blown us up, murdered our people on the street, wishes Israel to be wiped off the map.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

The Speaker has overstepped the mark and even though there's a mixture of faux outrage and genuine outrage among the MPs, the public must be wondering how hew can retain his impartiality when so blatantly having favoured Labour.

It's a pity.

On my theme, the baying mob outside Parliament, the genocidal message beamed onto Big Ben, the lame police, they are a sign of another culture attacking and gradually destroying our democracy. The Speaker should have focused on that - inhibition of free expression in Parliament.

I may be two double gin and tonics deep on a Friday night but your first response reads like you’re justifying the conservatives behaviour by saying that at least they’re not like Hamas

Regardless, I think I need another Gin

Mr K 23-02-2024 20:34

The Speaker will survive , regardless of whether he has the job or not, and still be on quite a good salary too.

Meanwhile back in Gaza, innocent people continue to die.
However if political points can be scored in blighty , who cares?

Paul 23-02-2024 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36170801)
The Speaker will survive , regardless of whether he has the job or not, and still be on quite a good salary too.

Meanwhile back in Gaza, innocent people continue to die.
However if political points can be scored in blighty , who cares?

Innocent people continue to die in this country as well.
Three children murdered the other day, but yes, everyone would rather argue about politics. :(

Sephiroth 24-02-2024 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36170797)
I may be two double gin and tonics deep on a Friday night but your first response reads like you’re justifying the conservatives behaviour by saying that at least they’re not like Hamas

Regardless, I think I need another Gin

Er, what? I wrote:

Quote:

There is a major difference between political parties, including both Labour & Conservative, who deploy stupid tricks that are not in the spirit of democracy and a cultural group who are obviously trying to take over our democracy, by degrees and then - the end of democracy.

The Speaker bowed to the baying mob, imo.

jfman 24-02-2024 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170828)
The Speaker bowed to the baying mob, imo.

There was no mob. There was Starmer.

Any suggestions of threats to safety came much, much later. There was no indication in his first statement, nor in correspondence from the clerk to indicate he had raised it with them.

He’s made a mess of it and blamed brown people. A tried and tested trope for the British establishment to deploy.

1andrew1 24-02-2024 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170828)

The Speaker bowed to the baying mob, imo

He bowed to the baying Starmer and was given a means of escape but did not take it. His authority in the House is reduced and I'm amazed he's still in place.

jfman 24-02-2024 14:34

The more I think about it he will try to stumble into the next election and Sir Keir hands him a peerage for a job well done.

Grubby.

Itshim 24-02-2024 16:42

The whole shambles was a political stage show. Which worked. Just think if it had passed , Israel would stopped its actively immediately. Face it the UK thinks it has a role to play in world affairs. Its doesn't, can't even launch a rocket.

Sephiroth 24-02-2024 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36170846)
The whole shambles was a political stage show. Which worked. Just think if it had passed , Israel would stopped its actively immediately. Face it the UK thinks it has a role to play in world affairs. Its doesn't, can't even launch a rocket.

Rather well put.

jfman 24-02-2024 16:54

Nobody claims it would have passed. Anyone who believes that is pertinent in any way is absolutely missing the point.

Ms NTL 24-02-2024 19:31

Quote:

:D

Mr K 24-02-2024 19:44

Quote:

This is true, some older folks still think we're a 'super power'. Our influence is next to nothing now. We've made ourselves an irrelevant backwater, particularly since 2016.

Let's face it, we can't even manage healthcare for the population. We might get demoted from being a first world country. Maybe Ireland will send some aid if we're lucky...

Sephiroth 24-02-2024 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr k (Post 36170862)
this is true, some older folks still think we're a 'super power'. Our influence is next to nothing now. We've made ourselves an irrelevant backwater, particularly since 2016.

Let's face it, we can't even manage healthcare for the population. We might get demoted from being a first world country. maybe ireland will send some aid if we're lucky...

never, never, never.

Mr K 24-02-2024 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170864)
never, never, never.

You're sounding like Ian Paisley now ;)
NI is as good as gone, they've seen the light and the way the UK is going.

Paul 25-02-2024 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36170862)
particularly since 2016.

More of your pathetic nonsense.

Itshim 25-02-2024 11:29

What a short memory I have ,!

Sephiroth 25-02-2024 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36170865)
You're sounding like Ian Paisley now ;)
NI is as good as gone, they've seen the light and the way the UK is going.

Paisley was a great man.

1andrew1 25-02-2024 13:03

For someone like Hoyle to survive, you need your own competence or someone else's incompetence. Fortunately for Hoyle, Lee Anderson has delivered recently on the incompetence front helping Hoyle out with bags of cover.

Hugh 25-02-2024 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170896)

Paisley was a great man.

https://media.tenor.com/kpClz6FhUwgA...s-the-fonz.gif

GrimUpNorth 25-02-2024 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170896)

Paisley was a great man.

I can think of plenty of words to describe him, but great isn't one of them.

jfman 26-02-2024 17:46

Since he’s doubling down and going back on his word for an emergency debate he’s got to go.

One can only now conclude - if there was ever any doubt - it was about protecting Starmer.

OLD BOY 28-02-2024 17:21

He’s still there.

jfman 28-02-2024 17:52

So is linear television. Both on borrowed time allegedly.

OLD BOY 28-02-2024 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36171084)
So is linear television. Both on borrowed time allegedly.

That’s a bit of a topic stretch, even for you, jfman.

Mr K 28-02-2024 20:24

I bet linear tv lasts longer than the Speaker, and even me ;)

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 13:51

There will be more chaos when Galloway starts his Gaza nonsense there. ‘I did it for Gaza’ he said. If ever you needed proof that the cultures are incompatible and that Parliament needs to do something about it, the better.

How about Parliament being used to solve problems within its proper orbit?

Hugh 01-03-2024 14:24

You do know that Galloway isn’t a Muslim, don’t you?

If you do, what’s your point?

Paul 01-03-2024 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171185)

If you do, what’s your point?

He didnt say he was, so I could ask the same question, whats your point ?

Hugh 01-03-2024 15:03

The point I was making is that why is Galloway being in Parliament proof that the cultures are incompatible?

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171197)
The point I was making is that why is Galloway being in Parliament proof that the cultures are incompatible?

You didn't make that point. He campaigned on the Gaza mantra and the incompatible culture citizens bought it. Plus the intimidation of the Reform team by people of the incompatible culture.

You know all this anyway. Just annoying forum games from you.

Ms NTL 01-03-2024 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171185)

Well, he is Muslim, when it suits him

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-galloway-have

And his current Indonesian/Dutch wife is Muslim and they were married in an Islamic ceremony in Amsterdam

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/154666...many-children/

Hugh 01-03-2024 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171209)
You didn't make that point. He campaigned on the Gaza mantra and the incompatible culture citizens bought it. Plus the intimidation of the Reform team by people of the incompatible culture.

You know all this anyway. Just annoying forum games from you.

"incompatible culture citizens"?

So, what differentiates Labour incompatible culture MPs from Tory incompatible culture MPs - they are all from the same culture?

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171215)
"incompatible culture citizens"?

So, what differentiates Labour incompatible culture MPs from Tory incompatible culture MPs - they are all from the same culture?

Please stop playing games. You know exactly what points I'm making.

Hugh 01-03-2024 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171217)
Please stop playing games. You know exactly what points I'm making.

No, I don’t - I don’t have your paranoid Replacement Theory mindset…

You appear to be saying that all members of a group are equally culpable, but when I point out that some members of that group are Tory MPs, so are they equally culpable, and if not, why not?

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171223)
No, I don’t - I don’t have your paranoid Replacement Theory mindset…

You appear to be saying that all members of a group are equally culpable, but when I point out that some members of that group are Tory MPs, so are they equally culpable, and if not, why not?

Whatever. You're no longer worth the bother.

jfman 01-03-2024 20:09

I think it's amazing that people think there's either too much immigration, too much extremism, both and think the answer is to vote Conservative. :rofl:

GrimUpNorth 01-03-2024 20:18

I think the mainstream parties completely misread the feeling in the country, and now it's been proven in Rochdale. Didn't Rishi say the other day that if people were not happy they shouldn't use mob mentality but should use the ballot box? Seems to me that's just what's happened.

Hugh 01-03-2024 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171224)
Whatever. You're no longer worth the bother.

https://c.tenor.com/fl7h1f31sO4AAAAC/tenor.gif

jfman 01-03-2024 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36171231)
I think the mainstream parties completely misread the feeling in the country, and now it's been proven in Rochdale. Didn't Rishi say the other day that if people were not happy they shouldn't use mob mentality but should use the ballot box? Seems to me that's just what's happened.

The state apparatus and the media - who have politicians in their pockets - will be working overtime to ensure the two party system endures.

Expect more and more scaremongering and scapegoating.

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36171231)

Problem is, Grim, that the mob or its supporters used the ballot box.

1andrew1 01-03-2024 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171238)
Problem is, Grim, that the mob or its supporters used the ballot box.

You Brexiters won, get over it. ;)

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36171240)
You Brexiters won, get over it. ;)

You're sinking, Andrew.

jfman 01-03-2024 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171242)
You're sinking, Andrew.

Says the Titanic.

Hugh 01-03-2024 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36171245)
Says the Titanic.

"Iceberg, what iceberg?"…

Sephiroth 01-03-2024 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171248)
"Iceberg, what iceberg?"…

Rochdale.

Hugh 01-03-2024 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171249)
Rochdale.

Bethnal Green & Bow, Bradford West…

Sephiroth 02-03-2024 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171250)
Bethnal Green & Bow, Bradford West…

Something useful to say, at last.

Hugh 02-03-2024 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171260)
Something useful to say, at last.

Just in case we are interpreting differently what I posted, I’m stating Galloway just wants to shout and sow discord everywhere, and is just a single-term MP (at how many different constituencies now?) who stands for election at every single opportunity anywhere - he is not interested in his constituents or what they believe, he is just a self-promoting ideologue who will do nothing of note besides try to attract attention to himself…

GrimUpNorth 02-03-2024 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36171265)
Just in case we are interpreting differently what I posted, I’m stating Galloway just wants to shout and sow discord everywhere, and is just a single-term MP (at how many different constituencies now?) who stands for election at every single opportunity anywhere - he is not interested in his constituents or what they believe, he is just a self-promoting ideologue who will do nothing of note besides try to attract attention to himself…

Agreed, the other parties should consider getting him onboard as an advisor as he's so much better at reading the mood of the voters than they are :shocked:.

Sephiroth 02-03-2024 13:58

Quote:

Agreed. But he's dangerous nevertheless because of the people he's stirred up in Rochdale and elsewhere.

Hugh 02-03-2024 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171269)
Agreed. But he's dangerous nevertheless because of the people he's stirred up in Rochdale and elsewhere.

Totally agree - nothing worse than politicians stirring up antipathy to others and stirring discord just to further their own aims, rather than trying to achieve things to help the country.

Mr K 02-03-2024 14:14

Quote:

There's a lot them about Hugh. There's Boris/Nigel/Trump. Its the in thing to be these days, get with it, the riff raff love it ;)

Sephiroth 02-03-2024 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36171272)
There's a lot them about Hugh. There's Boris/Nigel/Trump. Its the in thing to be these days, get with it, the riff raff love it ;)

Farage should not be lumped in with Boris & Trump. Farage is a serious politician who is nothing like the other two.

GrimUpNorth 02-03-2024 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171273)
Farage should not be lumped in with Boris & Trump. Farage is a serious politician who is nothing like the other two.

Tell me you typed that with a smile on your face and your fingers crossed behind you back.

Sephiroth 02-03-2024 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36171274)
Tell me you typed that with a smile on your face and your fingers crossed behind you back.

Not at all. Farage is totally respectable. Just because Farage was on the wrong side of Brexit in your mind is not a reason to lump him in with Boris & Trump.

Mr K 02-03-2024 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171275)
Not at all. Farage is totally respectable. Just because Farage was on the wrong side of Brexit in your mind is not a reason to lump him in with Boris & Trump.

The only time chance to do anything was an MEP. Then he chose either to not turn up, or just disrupt . He's done nothing as an elected politician.
Boris was similarly exposed when he actually got power. Both populists that are only interested in themselves.

Sephiroth 02-03-2024 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36171276)
The only time chance to do anything was an MEP. Then he chose either to not turn up, or just disrupt . He's done nothing as an elected politician.
Boris was similarly exposed when he actually got power. Both populists that are only interested in themselves.

There's a semblance of argument there - i.e. disruptor. But it's not the same; Farage got elected on the ticket to which he behaved in the EU parliament. He was true to his manifesto.

Itshim 02-03-2024 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171279)
There's a semblance of argument there - i.e. disruptor. But it's not the same; Farage got elected on the ticket to which he behaved in the EU parliament. He was true to his manifesto.

Don't see anyone disagreeing with this. As you say did what he was elected to do. Pity others don't do this.:shocked:

Paul 03-03-2024 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171275)
Farage is totally respectable.

Not sure how you can keep a straight face while typing that. :erm:

[ and no, he wasnt on the wrong side of brexit for me, but that doesnt stop him being a complete nob head ].

1andrew1 03-03-2024 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171269)

Surely he's just a left-wing equivalent of Nigel Farage? A Brexit populist with the same great communications who appeals to the disillusioned in society who feel they are getting a rough deal from mainstream politicians.

Sephiroth 03-03-2024 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36171312)
Surely he's just a left-wing equivalent of Nigel Farage? A Brexit populist with the same great communications who appeals to the disillusioned in society who feel they are getting a rough deal from mainstream politicians.

But is he? Galloway is stoking up, and representing, an eventual existential threat to our culture. Farage is the other bit I highlighted - as you say, with the difference that he wants to preserve our culture. Our culture straddles Remainers and Leavers, Christians and Jews and certain others but not the lot that support Galloway. There is no similarity..