Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Smart Meter Con (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710197)

Sephiroth 06-07-2021 09:30

The Smart Meter Con

1 Attachment(s)
I'm becoming increasingly furious at the Smart Meter con.

Apart from the hyped & weasel worded consumer savings, the TV adverts don't tell you that Smart Meters place you at the off-switch mercy of the private sector suppliers and worse still allows them to charge variable prices according to time of day and their dividend expectations.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...art-meter-con/

Quote:

However, the report claimed most of the eventual savings would be made by energy firms, rather than consumers.

"The roll-out is consequently at serious risk of becoming yet another large scale public infrastructure project delivered well over time and budget, and which fails to provide energy customers with a meaningful return on their investment," said Mr Shapps.

Ken W 06-07-2021 09:32

Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36085353)

Apart from the hyped & weasel worded consumer savings, the TV adverts don't tell you that Smart Meters place you at the off-switch mercy of the private sector suppliers and worse still allows them to charge variable prices according to time of day and their dividend expectations.

Too true

mrmistoffelees 06-07-2021 09:34

We keep getting badgered to have them installed by whoever it is, funnily enough though, they can't do installations on a weekend?

jfman 06-07-2021 09:36

Capitalists squeezing the consumer, well I never!

Sephiroth 06-07-2021 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36085357)
Capitalists squeezing the consumer, well I never!

I created this thread to provide a platform for you!

Carth 06-07-2021 09:59

Hello, we'd like to fit a smart meter for your electricity supply.

I see, would that be so you can save money by making your meter readers redundant, and then calculate my bills using the data sent from a plastic box - that may decide to malfunction and send wrong data?

No, it's so you know that when you boil the kettle you will use more electricity.

Great, sign me up.

Jaymoss 06-07-2021 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36085353)

What I have said all along

Someone eventually will come along and say it is the government that are forcing them to do it and some are getting massive fines for not reaching targets. Then I will say the same as I said last time, it is all smoke and mirrors

Taf 06-07-2021 12:08

Whenever this subject comes up, I have to tell people this insidious fact:

We are charged for electricity by the kilowatt-hour (kwh).

But a thing called Power Factor (PF) means that some devices cause a phase shift along the power lines, so the power companies have to add extra power to compensate.

That costs the power companies money.

So they all want to charge us another way, kilovolt-amperes (kVa) which gives the true value of power we use.

Smart meters can read kVa, so at some time in the future our bills will suddenly rise when they switch to that measurement method.

Just as electric heating, electric car charging, et al, become the norm.....

heero_yuy 06-07-2021 13:41

If they do start charging for KVA then I'll need to get PF correction capacitors for my two freezers and the fridge. Their PF is only around 0.6 according to my own energy monitor.

Taf 06-07-2021 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36085431)
If they do start charging for KVA then I'll need to get PF correction capacitors for my two freezers and the fridge. Their PF is only around 0.6 according to my own energy monitor.

I think there will be a big push for industry to fit PF capacitors sometime soon. They are already mandatory for PC power supplies.

LED lighting is another thing that is going to cause headaches, as many have poor PF and they don't have to mention that on their packaging.

Dude111 08-07-2021 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth
[COLOR="Blue"]I'm becoming increasingly furious at the Smart Meter con.

Ya and you should be furious Mate!!!

This give them TOTAL CONTROL and your bills will be higher!!!

And it can affect your health being surrounded by all that RF and not being able to get away from it!!!!

THESE METERS ARE SPYING GARBAGE!!!!!!!! -- If you can,opt out!!

Stephen 08-07-2021 01:31

Spying, not really but helping get meter readings without a guy coming to read them.

Paul 08-07-2021 03:22

Its amazing how easy it is to read your own meter, I do it every month :D

Dude111 08-07-2021 03:30

Yes its easy,you dont need a smart meter thats not good for us!!

Mr K 08-07-2021 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36085613)
Spying, not really but helping get meter readings without a guy coming to read them.

I don't think they exist anylonger, mine haven't been read for years.

1andrew1 08-07-2021 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36085616)

Some aren't. My elederly aunt's was on top of a cupboard in the kitchen near the ceiling requiring you to stand on a stool with a torch. Nothing she's been able to do for years.

Stephen 08-07-2021 09:01

We are in a new build house, so it came with them.

Sephiroth 08-07-2021 09:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36085626)
Some aren't. My elederly aunt's was on top of a cupboard in the kitchen near the ceiling requiring you to stand on a stool with a torch. Nothing she's been able to do for years.

Right, you can retire now at exactly 10,000 posts!

Taf 08-07-2021 10:33

Quote:

I have done so every week since August 1987 when we moved into our first flat.

Chris 08-07-2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36085605)
Ya and you should be furious Mate!!!

This give them TOTAL CONTROL and your bills will be higher!!!

And it can affect your health being surrounded by all that RF and not being able to get away from it!!!!

THESE METERS ARE SPYING GARBAGE!!!!!!!! -- If you can,opt out!!

:rofl:

Mad Max 08-07-2021 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36085638)

That's the best Smillie for that rubbish......:D

Mr K 08-07-2021 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36085638)

Ignore Chris, Dude111. He's part of Deep State and in on the conspiracy.....

Mad Max 08-07-2021 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36085705)

Yeah, get suited up and beware of all that RF......:D

pip08456 08-07-2021 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36085706)
Yeah, get suited up and beware of all that RF......:D

Nah, sit in a Farady cage.

Sephiroth 08-07-2021 21:34

Another con is the use of pretend Einstein adverts. That is outrageous and unethical, imo. Also they have to pay a licence fee to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (to which Einstein bequeathed all his assets, which we'll pay for in our energy bills.

TheDaddy 08-07-2021 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36085710)
Another con is the use of pretend Einstein adverts. That is outrageous and unethical, imo. Also they have to pay a licence fee to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (to which Einstein bequeathed all his assets, which we'll pay for in our energy bills.

You'd have thought they'd have had enough imagination to come up with an advert without having to pay licence fees, I mean what's wrong with Edison, Westinghouse, Thales or Faraday, at least they had something to do with electricity and don't need licensing

Carth 09-07-2021 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36085717)
You'd have thought they'd have had enough imagination to come up with an advert without having to pay licence fees, I mean what's wrong with Edison, Westinghouse, Thales or Faraday, at least they had something to do with electricity and don't need licensing

Why leave out Tesla? :p:

1andrew1 09-07-2021 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36085727)
Why leave out Tesla? :p:

He's too current to be included. :D

Dude111 10-07-2021 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K

Ah man!!

Mad Max 10-07-2021 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36085762)
He's too current to be included. :D

That's shocking..:D

Taf 15-07-2021 20:14

1 Attachment(s)
Only Greece has higher costs for electrcity.

nomadking 15-07-2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36086374)
Only Greece has higher costs for electrcity.

What actually matters is the final price to consumers.
Including taxes and levies paints a different picture.
Link
Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Spain, Italy, and Ireland are all above the UK.

Carth 15-07-2021 21:23

Received the bill from my provider yesterday, no smart meter fitted so they've been estimating.
They must have sent someone along to actually read the meter lately, as the bill shows I have received a £13 refund and am now £9-46p in credit :D

Dude111 17-07-2021 08:42

Very good :)

ThunderPants73 30-07-2021 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36085370)
Hello, we'd like to fit a smart meter for your electricity supply.

I see, would that be so you can save money by making your meter readers redundant, and then calculate my bills using the data sent from a plastic box - that may decide to malfunction and send wrong data?

No, it's so you know that when you boil the kettle you will use more electricity.

Great, sign me up.

All of the above then 'Oh, sorry, we aren't installing them in your area at the moment'.

Sephiroth 19-08-2021 19:07

The scandal & con continues.

Quote:

Energy Suppliers still installing tens of thousands of SMETS 1 smart meters
Quote:

.... Despite the NRO and several instances of Ofgem threatening to impose Final Orders on companies still installing SMETS1 meters, firms still installed 57,499 of them over the past six months, with 5,573 of them being installed in January [2021].
https://www.dyballassociates.co.uk/e...1-smart-meters

Chris 19-08-2021 19:09

My energy provider has stopped sending me emails trying to get me to have a smart meter installed and has started sending physical post. So I have stopped using my electronic trash can and started using the physical one.

Paul 19-08-2021 19:21

I havent had one for years, I guess they gave up.

Sephiroth 19-08-2021 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36090368)
I havent had one for years, I guess they gave up.

Trouble is they won't give up. Tricks I expect them to use:

1. Your meter is end-of-life;

2. Your meter is faulty.

Smart Meters are a money-making wheeze for the energy suppliers who can move to variable time of day tariffs. Bustards.

Mr K 19-08-2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36090370)
Trouble is they won't give up. Tricks I expect them to use:

1. Your meter is end-of-life;

2. Your meter is faulty.

Smart Meters are a money-making wheeze for the energy suppliers who can move to variable time of day tariffs. Bustards.

Trick is never to give the blighters your phone no.

God help anyone with the phone no 01234567890 ;)

Sephiroth 19-08-2021 20:22

I'm getting letters now.

Dude111 20-08-2021 02:36

Just bin them!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K
God help anyone with the phone no 01234567890 ;)

Heh I wonder if anyone has that numba :D

nomadking 20-08-2021 06:39

Most SMETS1 meters can be remotely updated to have SMETS2 functionality.
Link

Quote:

As SMETS1 meters where originally installed on different management systems, they often failed when transferring between suppliers and stopped communicating. Having got DCC and SMETS2 meters working, it was decided to upgrade the SMETS1 meters to allow them to be managed through DCC. This would then allow them to operate correctly for most functions including sending meter readings and switching supplier.
The upgrade process involves updating the meter's firmware remotely and making changes in the old management system and in DCC. The migration process to the new DCC SMETS2 system is called Enrolment and Adoption (E&A).

Sephiroth 20-08-2021 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36090405)
Most SMETS1 meters can be remotely updated to have SMETS2 functionality.
Link

That's part of the con. Both meters allow variable tariffs to be applied real time and your electricity can be cut off at the press of a remote button. This is not mentioned in the hype.

It's a disgusting con.

Itshim 26-08-2021 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36090408)
That's part of the con. Both meters allow variable tariffs to be applied real time and your electricity can be cut off at the press of a remote button. This is not mentioned in the hype.

It's a disgusting con.

Never had any problems with mine. Honestly l can't see what the point of them is.Other than one less Person in work but the plus side is no one bothering me :rolleyes:

1andrew1 26-08-2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36090408)

It's a disgusting con.

Assuming I'm understanding this right...what is the issue in allowing variable tariffs to be applied real time if you've signed up to this type of contract? If this type of tariff is problematical it's not the fault of the smart meter but of the tariff.

Jaymoss 26-08-2021 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36091056)
Assuming I'm understanding this right...what is the issue in allowing variable tariffs to be applied real time if you've signed up to this type of contract? If this type of tariff is problematical it's not the fault of the smart meter but of the tariff.

yes but they will remove the choice

1andrew1 26-08-2021 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36091058)
yes but they will remove the choice

Is that a prediction or something they've said they'll do? It's quite a competitive market so room for different offerings.

Sephiroth 26-08-2021 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36091056)

If they pull the stunt that my meter is end of life, they’ll force me onto the shenanagins they are trying to pull and don’t tell you about.

Jaymoss 26-08-2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36091059)
Is that a prediction or something they've said they'll do? It's quite a competitive market so room for different offerings.

it is not as competitive as it was any more since the price cap has screwed everyone who bothered to compare every year. Some companies best prices are very little lower than their standard now

Sephiroth 24-09-2021 21:20

Look at what an official web site is saying (and this is also being said in those stupide Einstein ads):

https://www.smartenergygb.org/smart-meter-benefits

Quote:

What's the link between smart meters and clean air?

From the moment your smart meter is installed, you are helping to reduce our carbon emissions as a nation. Smart meters help to create a smart energy system. With a truly smart energy system we can better match supply with demand, and integrate more renewable energy sources such as wind and solar into the system. These forms of generating energy create less air pollution and emit significantly less CO2 into the atmosphere.
The above is weasel wording for saying they can bring energy sources on stream as demand rises. Like when there's no wind and the sun ain't shining.

Carth 24-09-2021 23:53

I think we're all aware of where the sun ain't shining ;)

Paul 25-09-2021 02:03

Well they have already blamed the shortage of 'green' electricity on a lack of wind his year.

Jaymoss 25-09-2021 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094399)
Well they have already blamed the shortage of 'green' electricity on a lack of wind his year.

My IBS means I got enough wind for everyone, but that is another story hehehe

Taf 17-11-2021 10:04

I've just had the fourth phone call from a south asian woman.

"Am I speaking to <insert name>? I am calling on behalf of your energy supplier <insert company name> to arrange a date for the installation of your second generation smart meter."

This first 3 couldn't even pronounce my name anywhere near correctly, and the last one gave the wrong energy supplier.

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36101571)
I've just had the fourth phone call from a south asian woman.

"Am I speaking to <insert name>? I am calling on behalf of your energy supplier <insert company name> to arrange a date for the installation of your second generation smart meter."

This first 3 couldn't even pronounce my name anywhere near correctly, and the last one gave the wrong energy supplier.

Just as well you're not a Yorkshire Cricketer.

Anyway, so we have two scams - the meter scam and the South Asian scam scamming the first scam.

Stephen 17-11-2021 11:06

I really don't see what the con or scam is. We have obviously got a smart meter in our new home. It's ser to report the meter data daily and allows an easier quicker method to see my usage and charges online.

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101583)
I really don't see what the con or scam is. We have obviously got a smart meter in our new home. It's ser to report the meter data daily and allows an easier quicker method to see my usage and charges online.

The con is what Einstein doesn't tell you and the Guvmin keep quiet.

1/
If everyone has a smart meter, tariffs can be adjusted by the hour according to demand. Given that the power companies are profit driven, they will be able to dip into our pockets subject to whatever regulation there may be.

2/
You can be cut off peremptorily (Electricity). What with hacking and political levers that might be applied, this leaves the ordinary people in some potential difficulty.

If the above matters were sufficiently prominent in the adverts, I wouldn't mind so much.

Stephen 17-11-2021 11:34

If those things actually happen or have happened I'm sure we'd have heard of it.

How can they charge a different rate when you are say on a fixed tariff for 2 years or such.

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101593)
If those things actually happen or have happened I'm sure we'd have heard of it.

How can they charge a different rate when you are say on a fixed tariff for 2 years or such.

Smart meters are the enablers for what they haven't told you.

There is an explanatory article that takes a benign line, versus my cyniciam.

https://www.power-technology.com/fea...rding-changes/

The article is well populated with "time-of-use-tariff" references and remote cut-off.

Stephen 17-11-2021 12:14

Still don't believe what you claim is or will happen.

I certainly can't see the suppliers cutting you off. What would that achieve?

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36101604)
Still don't believe what you claim is or will happen.

I certainly can't see the suppliers cutting you off. What would that achieve?

”Into the valley of the blind …..”

Taf 17-11-2021 13:02

The whole point of smart meters is still being hidden from public view: the ability to change billing from kwh (losses made by power companies) to kva (losses paid for by consumers).

Sephiroth 17-11-2021 13:20

Any comment from Stephen?

Chris 17-11-2021 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36101619)
Any comment from Stephen?

What are you expecting him to say? You already admitted yours is a cynical view. Taf and others have previously observed that smart meters can be used to charge kVa rather than kWh and have speculated that this will eventually happen, but have offered no evidence that it will. In the absence of evidence, this speculation, insinuation and cynicism just looks like another conspiracy theory.

Taf 17-11-2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36101623)
What are you expecting him to say? You already admitted yours is a cynical view. Taf and others have previously observed that smart meters can be used to charge kVa rather than kWh and have speculated that this will eventually happen, but have offered no evidence that it will. In the absence of evidence, this speculation, insinuation and cynicism just looks like another conspiracy theory.

It is already standard practice to businesses in the UK and EU, and it was EU power suppliers that started to demand kva charging for domestic customers.

Quote:

What is the kVA charge?
The kVA (kilo-Volt-Ampers) charge is a monthly amount paid to the local Distribution Network Operator (DNO) for the available power capacity provided to your business. This is paid indirectly to the DNO, via your energy bill. Your kVA charge is based on your Maximum Import Capacity (MIC).

What is Maximum Import Capacity?
Maximum Import Capacity is the peak power load which your business can draw from the electricity grid. This is agreed between your business and the local Distribution Network Operator (DNO). If the highest electricity demand in your business exceeds the MIC, the DNO levies an Excess Capacity Charge, payable via your business energy bill.

Where can I find details of my MIC and my kVA charge?
Your MIC and KVA charge are usually shown on your energy bill. Maximum Import Capacity (MIC) may be listed as Agreed Supply Capacity (ASC), Agreed Capacity or Availability. For your kVA charge, look for Capacity Charge or Availability Charge. Another simple way to find this key information is to call your local Distribution Network Operator (DNO).
https://www.britishgasplus.co.uk/electricity-meters

Quote:

Summary of Updated ENA Functional Requirements for Smart Metering

With the anticipated increase in demand-side energy resources and
new types of domestic appliances which are expected to give rise to
lower power factors - such as: heat pumps, domestic air cooling
systems and compact fluorescent lighting, it will be increasingly
important to be able to measure real and reactive power flows in
terms both of import and export. Requirements apply to profile
classes 1, 2, 3 & 4. For polyphase meters supporting maximum
demand tariffs (typically profile classes 5 – 8) it must be possible to
also separately derive maximum (average half-hour) kVA
for import
and export.
https://www.energynetworks.org/indus...art-meters.pdf

And if you want to nod off... http://www.xylenepower.com/Electricity%20Metering.htm

Itshim 17-11-2021 16:41

So are we planning to move to candles and a pot over an open fire ? I guess the next virgin price hike would not bother anyone then

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36101659)
So are we planning to move to candles and a pot over an open fire ? I guess the next virgin price hike would not bother anyone then

I have dramatically reduced my lighting use since my hike in prices. I never used to care and left my kitchen and bathroom on all day ( both LED ) but now budgeting energy they stay off till needed saving 30 to 35 watt an hour which over a month adds up. Candles might cost more than a 10 watt led bulb to run hahaha

papa smurf 17-11-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101664)
I have dramatically reduced my lighting use since my hike in prices. I never used to care and left my kitchen and bathroom on all day ( both LED ) but now budgeting energy they stay off till needed saving 30 to 35 watt an hour which over a month adds up. Candles might cost more than a 10 watt led bulb to run hahaha

They can't switch a candle off via the smart meter;)

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36101667)
They can't switch a candle off via the smart meter;)

they cannot switch off a battery operated bulb either haha

papa smurf 17-11-2021 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101668)
they cannot switch off a battery operated bulb either haha

They can stop you recharging it ho ho ;)

Jaymoss 17-11-2021 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36101669)
They can stop you recharging it ho ho ;)

but they cannot stop you buying batteries haha I am being a bit silly now. I used to have a pair of nice oil lamps

papa smurf 17-11-2021 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36101672)
but they cannot stop you buying batteries haha I am being a bit silly now. I used to have a pair of nice oil lamps

i have 5 oil lamps ,and 5 primus stoves and a supply of paraffin, a coal powered stove/oven and boxes of candles, I'm ready to go back in time, if the power /gas goes off.

Hugh 17-11-2021 18:28

Handy to know… ;)

Mr K 17-11-2021 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36101674)
i have 5 oil lamps ,and 5 primus stoves and a supply of paraffin, a coal powered stove/oven and boxes of candles, I'm ready to go back in time, if the power /gas goes off.

Don't you trust Boris to keep the lights on ? So much for sunlit uplands... ;)

TheDaddy 17-11-2021 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36101691)
Don't you trust Boris to keep the lights on ? So much for sunlit uplands... ;)

That's not sunlit it's candlelit

Paul 17-11-2021 19:46

I think this is verring off course, back to the topic please.

Mad Max 18-11-2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36101659)

You've been reading wee Greta's notes again...:D

Dude111 20-11-2021 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
I think this is verring off course, back to the topic please.

Thank you Paul........ Its hard sometimes to keep threads on topic....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim
So are we planning to move to candles and a pot over an open fire ?

Ah man!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Smart meters are the enablers for what they haven't told you.

Yes and there is ALOT they havent told you!! (They can be a health risk for one)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf

Hehe you should have given a bogus address and sent them there :D

Hugh 20-11-2021 20:51

In what way can smart meters be a health risk, please?

Pierre 20-11-2021 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36102001)

Cost you more money and you die of hypothermia or starvation.

Jaymoss 20-11-2021 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36102003)

for once I agree with you.
The cost you more can happen when the old meter has been wrong or they are just wrong. And seeing how much your heating costs can make you think noooooo hahaha

Hugh 20-11-2021 22:24

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36102003)

They could also fall on your head, but I don't think either of us know what the OP meant, so hopefully he'll tell us...

Jaymoss 20-11-2021 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36102005)
They could also fall on your head, but I don't think either of us know what the OP meant, so hopefully he'll tell us...

wasn't there a conspiracy theory that they give up some dodgy rays that melt your brain or something equally as stupid as still running windows 98??

Carth 20-11-2021 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36102006)
wasn't there a conspiracy theory that they give up some dodgy rays that melt your brain or something equally as stupid as still running windows 98??

Think that was 5G . . or Plasma TV's . . or Air Fryers . . or red smarties . . or quorn. . or sumfink

Paul 20-11-2021 23:33

Well Smart Meters do emit radiation.
Of course, so do many other things, like your mobile phone.

Quote:

While smart meters do emit radiation, it’s much lower than that from other everyday devices such as your mobile phone and your Wi-Fi equipment. Evidence suggests that exposures to the radio waves produced by smart meters do not pose a health risk.

downquark1 21-11-2021 09:04

The way they push smart metres is incredibly suspicious. I've seen videos from American companies that just outright lie that they are needed so they don't generate energy at unused hours.
They keep pushing the green angle, but that is almost non existent. The only benefit is that having a display in your house may (if you are paying attention) make you more conscious of the energy you are wasting.

It may just be so they don't have to pay metre readers but there is clearly an angle that benefits the company more than the customer.

Hugh 21-11-2021 10:05

I worked for Npower - the energy companies in the U.K. didn’t/don’t want Smart Meters; it was mandated by HMG, at a cost of of around £15-20 billion so far (which eventually is paid for by the customers), and the companies get fined for not meeting roll-out targets.

Here’s the latest on it from OFGEM.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/defau...s_2021_002.pdf
Quote:

Rollout from 1 July 2021 onwards
From July 2021, suppliers must comply with a new regulatory framework for the rollout as confirmed by BEIS on 18 June 2020. The framework will set binding annual installation targets for all suppliers in the market and will run until mid-2025. Failure to achieve the annual installation targets will be a breach of a supplier’s licence.

Jaymoss 21-11-2021 11:08

As far as I am concerned that is all spin trying to blag the public

Hugh 21-11-2021 11:45

I was at the Senior Management meetings where it was discussed (I was Head of Programmes for Billing Systems Remediation), so you can either believe someone who heard it repeated many times at many different meetings from the Npower Board directly, or not - your choice.

I have no skin in the game - I left after a year because it was such a fustercluck of a company, and am now retired.

downquark1 21-11-2021 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36102033)
I was at the Senior Management meetings where it was discussed (I was Head of Programmes for Billing Systems Remediation), so you can either believe someone who heard it repeated many times at many different meetings from the Npower Board directly, or not - your choice.

I have no skin in the game - I left after a year because it was such a fustercluck of a company, and am now retired.

Well what was the justification given, or was it just "Government says this"

papa smurf 21-11-2021 12:17

Quote:

They get you wound up and compel you to get on the internet and tell the world your work history;)

Hugh 21-11-2021 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36102035)
Well what was the justification given, or was it just "Government says this"

Government says this…

The company didn’t want to do it, as it cost a lot of time and resources, and the customers weren’t keen (lots, and I mean lots, of cancelled installs).

nashville 21-11-2021 13:22

Quote:

I do too,

Jaymoss 21-11-2021 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36102038)
Government says this…

The company didn’t want to do it, as it cost a lot of time and resources, and the customers weren’t keen (lots, and I mean lots, of cancelled installs).

The Government that organisation that is really well known for telling the truth and being honest next you will be telling me the BBC is impartial hahaha

Taf 21-11-2021 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36102032)
As far as I am concerned that is all spin trying to blag the public

I posted the requirements for all smart meters earlier in this thread.

Quote:

it must be possible to also separately derive maximum (average half-hour) kVA
Quote:

The whole point of smart meters is still being hidden from public view: the ability to change billing from kwh (losses made by power companies) to kva (losses paid for by consumers).

Jaymoss 21-11-2021 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36102051)
I posted the requirements for all smart meters earlier in this thread.

yeah I agree with you on this

spiderplant 21-11-2021 18:57

Quote:

The whole point? Does that include smart gas meters? :erm:

Paul 21-11-2021 19:19

Is there such a thing ? Cant say Ive ever heard them mentioned before.

Jaymoss 21-11-2021 19:22

yes

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...art-gas-meter/