Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Amazon : Lord of the Rings Series (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707900)

denphone 23-07-2019 15:23

Lord of the Rings Series

The upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series at Amazon has made its first casting decision.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lor...gh-1203268175/

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/201...s/#more-106907

Quote:

Variety has learned from multiple sources that Markella Kavenagh is in talks for a role in the upcoming epic fantasy series. Details of Kavenagh’s characters are being kept under wraps, but sources say she would be playing a character named Tyra.

denphone 01-08-2019 05:27

Re: Lord of the Rings Series

The Lord Of The Rings Production Team has been announced.

https://www.tvshowsace.com/2019/07/3...eam-announced/

Quote:

J. A. Bayona, director of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will direct the series.

Amazon recently tweeted a video with the caption “Meet our Fellowship”, which reveals the production team. Among JD Payne and Patrick McKay being the front runners, Gennifter Hutchinson, writer of Breaking Bad, has been brought onto the writing team. Bryan Cogman, writer for Game of Thrones, and Stephany Folsom who was on the writing team for Toy Story 4 have also been hired. Writer for The Sopranos, Jason Cahill, has been obtained. Helen Shang of 13 Reasons Why has been brought on board as well.
Lets hope its as good as l hope as it will be interesting once more cast members are announced.

Paul 01-08-2019 21:54

Probably not one I'll bother with - the films did nothing for me.

General Maximus 01-08-2019 22:30

I really enjoyed the films. I had never read the books and knew nothing of the story. I enjoyed the films as much for the visual spectacle as I did the story. I was very jealous of Bilbo and would love to live in Rivendell.

It is great to see they are getting a Grade A production team, it means the series is going to get all the TLC it possibly can and the production quality is going to be excellent. I just hope each season is at least 10 episodes long like GoT because we are going to be in awe, just feel like we are settling in to it and then it is going to be over.

denphone 02-08-2019 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36004732)
I really enjoyed the films. I had never read the books and knew nothing of the story. I enjoyed the films as much for the visual spectacle as I did the story. I was very jealous of Bilbo and would love to live in Rivendell.

It is great to see they are getting a Grade A production team, it means the series is going to get all the TLC it possibly can and the production quality is going to be excellent. I just hope each season is at least 10 episodes long like GoT because we are going to be in awe, just feel like we are settling in to it and then it is going to be over.

After being a great fan of the books for many years l watched the films in anticipation and l thought Peter Jackson did the films superbly.

tweetiepooh 02-08-2019 10:05

I missed so much from the books that didn't make it to the films and The Hobbit had too much "added" and distanced itself too far from the book as a children's story. (Tolkein wrote LOTR because he wanted to have a go at writing a long adult story.)

They mucked up TOTR probably to include more female lead but the worst was treatment for Faromir and dropping the whole "Cleansing of the Shire". But then I read Tolkien for years, LOTR took me 3 days when I was ill - no TV.

denphone 05-09-2019 13:59

Black Mirror star Will Poulter cast in Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-d...%20Newsletters

denphone 19-09-2019 07:06

Lord Of The Rings returns to New Zealand for Amazon TV series.

https://news.sky.com/story/lord-of-t...eries-11812901

General Maximus 19-09-2019 08:08

Fantastic, it will help with the continuity of the series from the movies plus it is a beautiful country.

denphone 19-09-2019 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36010732)
Fantastic, it will help with the continuity of the series from the movies plus it is a beautiful country.

The subsidies they got offered helped given the vast cost of the project.

Mr K 19-09-2019 10:46

I find the whole epic a cure for Insomnia.

The only version I did like Was the ZX Spectrum adventure game, 'The Hobbit'....I kept getting eaten by a nasty troll, it's what I expect when i play such things....

denphone 19-09-2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36010758)

The only version I did like Was the ZX Spectrum adventure game, 'The Hobbit'....I kept getting eaten by a nasty troll, it's what I expect when i play such things....

Well each to their own taste Mr K.;)

Paul 19-09-2019 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36010758)

One of those rare times we agree ;)

pip08456 10-10-2019 14:23

1 Attachment(s)
Shooting to begin early 2020.

denphone 10-10-2019 14:31

Excellent pip.:D

pip08456 19-11-2019 11:21

Amazon Orders Lord of the Rings Season 2 Early. They must have faith in it. Season 1 is set to debut sometime in 2021.

Link

denphone 19-11-2019 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36017653)
Amazon Orders Lord of the Rings Season 2 Early. They must have faith in it. Season 1 is set to debut sometime in 2021.

Link

That bodes well..

pip08456 19-11-2019 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36017656)
That bodes well..

Certainly does den.

General Maximus 19-11-2019 23:48

Given the huge production investment I imagine they are very keen to keep things running as smoothly as possible and it is in their interest to keep the sets up and running and keep the crew and actors signed up to maintain continuity and let everyone know what they are doing. It is good planning because any one of a million things can go wrong with something like this and you only need one cog to break for it all to grind to a halt.

denphone 15-01-2020 05:53

Amazon Studios Sets Series Cast.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/lord-of...hDEgebZCgAhQMk

Quote:

Amazon Studios at TCA today announced the first group of regulars set to star in their adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings series. The cast officially includes Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers and Daniel Weyman.

Paul 15-01-2020 17:12

Never heard of any of them. :erm:

denphone 15-01-2020 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36022775)

Was that not the same with GOT generally?.

General Maximus 15-01-2020 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36022775)

I was going to say that and you need it in a series like this to make it more realistic. I hate watching something so intense and with such a strong fantasy or escapism story line only for it to have known actors in. "Oh, there is Tom Cruise again". Although it has been cancelled, that for me was the mistake they made in casting in the was-going-to-be new GoT series with people like Naomi Watts. They are telling a new story in a new land (universe) and you need new (unknown) people who you can't relate to make it feel new and authentic.

denphone 15-01-2020 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36022787)
I was going to say that and you need it in a series like this to make it more realistic. I hate watching something so intense and with such a strong fantasy or escapism story line only for it to have known actors in. "Oh, there is Tom Cruise again". Although it has been cancelled, that for me was the mistake they made in casting in the was-going-to-be new GoT series with people like Naomi Watts. They are telling a new story in a new land (universe) and you need new (unknown) people who you can't relate to make it feel new and authentic.

There is one GOT star in the LOTR series though.;)

General Maximus 15-01-2020 18:02

as an example, I went to see 1917 today and I thought "hey, there's Rob Stark". I haven't seen him in anything since GoT.

pip08456 15-01-2020 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36022788)
There is one GOT star in the LOTR series though.;)

If you are referring to Robert Aramayo he hardly starred in it. 4 episodes as young Ned does not a star make.

denphone 15-01-2020 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36022792)
If you are referring to Robert Aramayo he hardly starred in it. 4 episodes as young Ned does not a star make.

Just remember Benjen.;)

denphone 16-03-2020 05:06

Amazon's Lord of the Rings production in West Auckland shut down.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...MwpgSPcZjSshrk

Quote:

Production of Amazon's version of The Lord of the Rings has been suspended for two weeks - with staff told "there are no clear answers to when we will resume production".

denphone 03-12-2020 16:22

Amazon Studios reveal more of the cast for the Lord of the Rings series.

https://www.gamesradar.com/lord-of-t...gn=buffer_tftw

General Maximus 16-01-2021 10:03

Quote:

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone

Quote:

Viewers can expect to see at least five seasons of the series with eight to ten episodes planned per season

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/t...ries-synopsis/

denphone 16-01-2021 10:19

Something l can't wait to watch.:hyper::hyper:

Paul 17-01-2021 00:31

More interesting than the films I hope, I gave up on them after the first one.

pip08456 16-04-2021 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36066939)
More interesting than the films I hope, I gave up on them after the first one.

I should hope so considering the cost.

Quote:

Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” TV series will cost approximately $465 million to produce one season, Variety has confirmed.

Radio New Zealand reported that the series, which is currently filming in the country, will spend NZ$650 million on Season 1, which converts to $464,165,000 in U.S. dollars. Sources confirmed to Variety that the hefty price tag is accurate.

The cost for “Lord of the Rings” far exceeds other pricey TV series like HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” Apple’s “The Morning Show” and Disney Plus’ “The Mandalorian,” which all cost roughly $15 million per episode. Previous estimates for “Lord of the Rings” put the production budget at $500 million for multiple seasons, not to mention the $250 million cost just for the rights from author J.R.R. Tolkien’s estate.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/lor...st-1234953345/

denphone 17-04-2021 05:04

Lets hope its worth it as l am certainly hoping it matches the standard of the films.

General Maximus 02-08-2021 21:14

Quote:

Filming wrapped today on Season 1 of Amazon Studios’ The Lord of The Rings TV series, and now we have a premiere date.

The studio has set Friday, September 2, 2022, for the debut of the first season of the yet-to-be-titled series. New episodes will be released weekly, exclusively on Prime Video in more than 240 territories and countries worldwide.
https://deadline.com/2021/08/the-lor...to-1234807566/

Paul 02-08-2021 22:52

Yet to be titled ?

How about "Lord of the Rings" :)

pip08456 03-08-2021 00:30

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36088315)
Yet to be titled ?

How about "Lord of the Rings" :)

You would think after spending so much money they would at least have a title.

Then again "Lord of the Rings" would be inappropriate.

Quote:

Little is known about the plot of the series to date, including its official title, but it is known that it will take place during the so-called Second Age, thousands of years prior to the events of both “The Lord of the Rings” books and “The Hobbit.” The series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth.

No trailer or teaser yey but first image.
“The journey begins September 2, 2022 with the premiere of our original ‘The Lord of the Rings’ series on Prime Video,” said Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios. “I can’t express enough just how excited we all are to take our global audience on a new and epic journey through Middle-earth! Our talented producers, cast, creative, and production teams have worked tirelessly in New Zealand to bring this untold and awe-inspiring vision to life.”
No teaser or trailer yet but a first image. Not all that exciting, even though I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...4&d=1627947561

Paul 03-08-2021 04:25

I dont really know anything about 'The Lord of the Rings' or 'The Hobbit' so I hope it stands up on its own.

I vaguely recall watching the first of the LOTR films, and not caring for it much, I didnt watch any of the others.

Chris 03-08-2021 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36088324)
I dont really know anything about 'The Lord of the Rings' or 'The Hobbit' so I hope it stands up on its own.

I vaguely recall watching the first of the LOTR films, and not caring for it much, I didnt watch any of the others.

Tolkein’s original notes on Middle Earth cover periods of thousands of years and I believe this series is set about a thousand years earlier than the Lord of the Rings films. A few of the immortal characters from LotR might well crop up but as all the events will be prior to those of the films, prior knowledge shouldn’t be necessary. Unless the series focuses specifically on the other end of the One Ring story (the forging of the ring, as opposed to its destruction) then it’s not even very accurate to call it a “Lord of the Rings” series. There are plenty of other characters and events in Tolkien’s own imagined history of Middle Earth.

General Maximus 03-08-2021 18:54

I hope they have taken advantage of the opportunity to do some "making of" featurettes along the way. This is on the same scale of Game of Thrones and the effort which must have gone into set decoration, costumes, planning etc must be phenomenal. I would love to see all the filming locations and the logistics behind it all. Now that they have finished filming I would love to know how many tens of thousands of hours have been planned for post production and all the visual effects. I am really really looking forward to this. Just from that one photo it looks like they are doing a top notch job.

pip08456 03-08-2021 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36088389)
I hope they have taken advantage of the opportunity to do some "making of" featurettes along the way. This is on the same scale of Game of Thrones and the effort which must have gone into set decoration, costumes, planning etc must be phenomenal. I would love to see all the filming locations and the logistics behind it all. Now that they have finished filming I would love to know how many tens of thousands of hours have been planned for post production and all the visual effects. I am really really looking forward to this. Just from that one photo it looks like they are doing a top notch job.

Certainly top notch CGI (VFX if you prefer) is that where most of the money has gone though?

General Maximus 03-08-2021 19:47

If I remember correctly season 1 has cost just over $500m but something like $285m of that was just to buy the rights from the Tolkien estate but even so, you are still looking at $20m per episode if it is going to be a 10 episode season (I don't know).

pip08456 03-08-2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36088394)
If I remember correctly season 1 has cost just over $500m but something like $285m of that was just to buy the rights from the Tolkien estate but even so, you are still looking at $20m per episode if it is going to be a 10 episode season (I don't know).

See my earlier post.;)

Chris 03-08-2021 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36088390)
Certainly top notch CGI (VFX if you prefer) is that where most of the money has gone though?

If they’re allowing a whole year for post production, then yes, it would seem so.

General Maximus 13-08-2021 09:43

Quote:

Amazon Studios' multi-million dollar Lord of the Rings TV series is moving to the UK from New Zealand for its second season.

Oscar-winning director Sir Peter Jackson used New Zealand's rolling mountains, meadows and forests as a backdrop for his famed Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.

Amazon said the switch "aligns with the studio's strategy of expanding its production footprint and investing in studio space across the UK, with many of Amazon Studios' tentpole series and films already calling the UK home".

The big-budget series, based on JRR Tolkien's books, has completed filming in New Zealand for its first instalment and is set to premiere on Prime Video in September next year.

Vernon Sanders, VP and co-head of TV at Amazon Studios, said: "We want to thank the people and the government of New Zealand for their hospitality and dedication and for providing The Lord Of The Rings series with an incredible place to begin this epic journey.

"We are grateful to the New Zealand Film Commission, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Tourism New Zealand, Auckland Unlimited, and others for their tremendous collaboration that supported the New Zealand film sector and the local economy during the production of Season One."

New Zealand's government was told of the move on Thursday and said it was disappointed at the decision.
https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-mo...aland-12380087

Chris 13-08-2021 10:04

Well, let’s be honest - most of it is going to be filmed against green screen or large scale video backdrop similar to Mando. An Amazon TV show isn’t going to have the sort of budget you need to actually go into the New Zealand wilderness and use it for location shoots, so why bother making it in New Zealand if you already own a capable production base somewhere else? The only reason they went there in the first place was sentiment.

tweetiepooh 13-08-2021 10:13

Not everything in the books is going to be BIG SCENE stuff so you can film that in NZ and then move the indoor and more European look stuff can be better filmed here.

Chris 13-08-2021 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36089649)
Not everything in the books is going to be BIG SCENE stuff so you can film that in NZ and then move the indoor and more European look stuff can be better filmed here.

Point is, there’s no need for the big scene stuff to be done in NZ either, and from season 2 onwards it won’t be. Even if they did any ambitious location shooting for s1 they will have been taking note of the massive strides outfits like Lucasfilm have made in recent years (if you have access to Disney +, the making of the Mandalorian series is absolutely fascinating, especially the instalment that focuses on the Volume, which is a 270-degree video wall that replaces a huge amount of the green-screen work a show like that demands).

What’s tragic for NZ is superb news for UK TV production, because Lucasfilm’s Volume is the state of the art and if Amazon is serious about concentrating production of shows like LotR here, sooner or later they’re going to be building that sort of facility here.

Damien 13-08-2021 10:39

It's not as if the British Isles doesn't have good outdoor filming locations that look Middle-earthish either. Tolkien wasn't a Kiwi.

The U.K is doing very well for TV/Film production. I read the other day that our studios are booked out for years. TV production is ramping up due to all the steaming companies and it's a perfect storm for us in that we have competitive tax breaks, are English speaking and have a large pool of existing trained production staff due to the amount of domestic television and films we've produced over decades.

General Maximus 13-08-2021 11:07

This is the kind of series which is perfectly suited for the technology they use on The Mandalorian. The world is your oyster when you can create any environment you can imagine and Amazon have definitely got the money for it. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet this is well worth 4 minutes of your time:

Paul 13-08-2021 21:52

I guess that means its renewed for Season 2 then ......

General Maximus 15-08-2021 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36089735)
I guess that means its renewed for Season 2 then ......

It would be stilly not to. I imagine the Mazon bean counters have been at it going "well Game of Thrones made $xxbn in merchandise over 8 years so we can do the same"

denphone 14-02-2022 06:43

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Official Teaser which debuted during the Superbowl last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qN_3HITC7U

Chris 14-02-2022 08:36

Just clicked that, and the trailer played as an advert before the trailer then played as a video :D

Looks very good tho. They seem to be sticking close to the production design of Jackson’s films, although having said that, those films deliberately leaned on conceptual art by John Howe who has been illustrating Middle Earth since he was a teenager, long before the Jackson films. There’s a very clear sense amongst fans of what Middle Earth ‘should’ look like, which any TV producer would ignore at their peril.

(Edit) New Line is involved in the new show, presumably because they still hold the rights, which would also clear any copyright issues around reflecting the production design of the films.

General Maximus 14-02-2022 09:21

tweetiepooh 14-02-2022 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36113261)
Just clicked that, and the trailer played as an advert before the trailer then played as a video :D

Looks very good tho. They seem to be sticking close to the production design of Jackson’s films, although having said that, those films deliberately leaned on conceptual art by John Howe who has been illustrating Middle Earth since he was a teenager, long before the Jackson films. There’s a very clear sense amongst fans of what Middle Earth ‘should’ look like, which any TV producer would ignore at their peril.

(Edit) New Line is involved in the new show, presumably because they still hold the rights, which would also clear any copyright issues around reflecting the production design of the films.

Tolkien's own pictures in "The Hobbit" are what I think of as Middle Earth. The rest is my own imagination.

Paul 14-02-2022 18:33

It looks interesting, I'll certainly give it a go.

(Never read any of the books, I saw part of one film, once).

denphone 14-07-2022 14:33

New The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Main Teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewgCqJDI_Nk&t=2s

Jaymoss 02-09-2022 19:26

Really good start imo. I wish it dropped all in one cuz I would have watched most of it by now. Really like Lenny Henry in it too stuff the haters. All I thought when I saw him was I know that face not oh not a black hobbit

denphone 02-09-2022 19:51

Only my opinion but after watching the first 2 episodes l thought it was outstanding and as good as what Peter Jackson done.

Paul 03-09-2022 22:11

Hmmmm.

Well so far (1st episode only) I can sum it up with one smilie .... :zzz:

I have no knowledge of the books, or any real memory of the film(s).
I recall watching the first film, and it bored me so much I barely finished it, and didnt watch any others.

So far this is going the same way, it was just so slow and boring.
The last 2 minutes were about the only time anything really happened.
I will give it 3 or 4 episodes and hope something (anything) exciting actually happens.

heero_yuy 05-09-2022 08:46

Just watched two hours that could have usefully have been edited down to 20 minutes.

I'll give it one more episode but pretty poor so far.

Paul 06-09-2022 15:39

So, Ive now watched episode 2 as well.

The season is 8 episodes, so Ive watched 25% of season 1, and almost nothing has happened, and what little has happened is just boring and confusing.

A troll got killed in some remote freezing mountain (and then, even more bizarre, the troops apparenly mutinied, and then a minute later everyone was back in some orchard as if nothing happened).

Some bloke landed inside a meteor (yep !) and was found by the local irish gipsy girl. We have no clue who (what) he is, or why weird things happen. In another bizarre twist, Lenny Henry appears as (the only ?) black gipsy, gazing at the sky.

Some sea serpant randomly attacked a boat, killed a few people, and then randomly vanished just as quickly, and some dwarves (dwarfs ?) had a rock smashing competition (seriously) - thats about it.

All this took over 2 hours. It can only improve. :erm:

Jaymoss 06-09-2022 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36133403)
So, Ive now watched episode 2 as well.

The season is 8 episodes, so Ive watched 25% of season 1, and almost nothing has happened, and what little has happened is just boring and confusing.

A troll got killed in some remote freezing mountain (and then, even more bizarre, the troops apparenly mutinied, and then a minute later everyone was back in some orchard as if nothing happened).

Some bloke landed inside a meteor (yep !) and was found by the local irish gipsy girl. We have no clue who (what) he is, or why weird things happen. In another bizarre twist, Lenny Henry appears as (the only ?) black gipsy, gazing at the sky.

Some sea serpant randomly attacked a boat, killed a few people, and then randomly vanished just as quickly, and some dwarves (dwarfs ?) had a rock smashing competition (seriously) - thats about it.

All this took over 2 hours. It can only improve. :erm:

Sauron killed Galadriels brother. She wanted revenge so spent centuries hunting. The Elf King called them back but she insisted they continue. Galadriel found evidence that Sauron had been there and wanted to continue. The troll attacked and this was enough for her men to decide to go back

Meteor man is most likely a Maia spirit the same species as Gandalf. He was found by Harfoots who are one of 3 breeds of Hobbits

Not sure in lore about the serpent but the main point was Galadriel refused to go back to the elven "home" kinda like their heaven where Bilbo and Frodo went at the end of LOTR

Durin was the Dwarf King who wore the Dwarf Ring of Power I believe the cave city was the same one visited in Fellowship I believe where it was taken over by goblins and Gandalf died and become The White

Hope that helps hahahaha

Paul 06-09-2022 17:16

Bear in mind I basically know nothing about LOTR.
I dont recall anything about the film now (I watched most of the first one, didnt bother with the others).
No idea what a "Maia spirit" is, or who Gandalf is, I vaguely remember Bilbo and Frodo were characters in the film.
I dont even know what rings of power are, and nothing about rings has been mentioned at any point in an episode yet.

I starting to think this will only make sense to an LOTR fan (and the general view seems to be they hate it anyway).

Expensivley disappointing so far.

Jaymoss 06-09-2022 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36133417)
Bear in mind I basically know nothing about LOTR.
I dont recall anything about the film now (I watched most of the first one, didnt bother with the others).
No idea what a "Maia spirit" is, or who Gandalf is, I vaguely remember Bilbo and Frodo were characters in the film.
I dont even know what rings of power are, and nothing about rings has been mentioned at any point in an episode yet.

I starting to think this will only make sense to an LOTR fan (and the general view seems to be they hate it anyway).

Expensivley disappointing so far.

Yeah I think you are right. About it only really being for Tolkien fans. I love it tbh. I find it surprising you do not know who Gandalf is but it just goes to show people are different

Sauron had the rings crafted and passed out to dwarfs elves and men to turn them to the dark side as it were. He kept the one ring to rule them all so basically had control but it all backfired. This series is set before all that

heero_yuy 06-09-2022 18:48

Well I've read both the Hobbit and the LOR novel as well as seeing all the films and this misses by a mile.

Just a load of woke nonsense: No dwarf was ever black and the village seems to be of the first born (Clock the Elven ears) who should have violet eyes, be white skinned with white or blond hair.

Jaymoss 06-09-2022 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36133436)
Well I've read both the Hobbit and the LOR novel as well as seeing all the films and this misses by a mile.

Just a load of woke nonsense: No dwarf was ever black and the village seems to be of the first born (Clock the Elven ears) who should have violet eyes, be white skinned with white or blond hair.

They are Harfoots they even call themselves that

heero remember this is a work of fiction no Dwarf was ever anything. I assume you are referring to Lenny Henry ? I can see past colour and do not care in a work of fiction so much when a black actor plays what is seen as a white role. I do however care when it is a real person ie Anne Boleyn

Tolkien's description of a Hobbit notice the slightly pointed ears ;)

Quote:

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 35 (#27)

Hugh 06-09-2022 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36133437)
They are Harfoots they even call themselves that

heero remember this is a work of fiction no Dwarf was ever anything. I assume you are referring to Lenny Henry ? I can see past colour and do not care in a work of fiction so much when a black actor plays what is seen as a white role. I do however care when it is a real person ie Anne Boleyn

Tolkien's description of a Hobbit notice the slightly pointed ears ;)

Quote:

Tolkien describes Harfoots as "browner of skin, smaller, and shorter"
https://screenrant.com/lotr-rings-of...its-explained/

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Harfeet
Quote:

They were shorter and smaller than the other breeds, browner of skin, had no beards, and did not wear any footwear

Jaymoss 06-09-2022 20:55

I just linked to Hobbits as it covers all three. Nice link though Hugh as it does show the browner skin

Jaymoss 08-09-2022 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36133407)

Durin was the Dwarf King who wore the Dwarf Ring of Power I believe the cave city was the same one visited in Fellowship I believe where it was taken over by goblins and Gandalf died and become The White

I was incorrect with this point. This place was Khazad-dûm which is also known by the name Moria. It is actually under the Misty Mountains and the residence of Smaug in The Hobbit

denphone 16-09-2022 12:30

Does anybody on here get when watching The Rings of Power a dark PQ where is is hard to see what is going on?.

Jaymoss 16-09-2022 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36134294)
Does anybody on here get when watching The Rings of Power a dark PQ where is is hard to see what is going on?.

See it all fine here

Paul 16-09-2022 12:54

Ummm ... whats a PQ ?

Jaymoss 16-09-2022 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36134298)
Ummm ... whats a PQ ?

Picture Quality or it could be to do with HDR which also could leave a dark picture

Chris 16-09-2022 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36134294)

I’ve not had a problem with LotR yet (that I’ve noticed) but I do often find that programmes made in 4K with HDR (High Dynamic Range) do not always come out very well on my mid-range Samsung tellybox. In such instances the pictures often are full of deep shade, with any brighter areas too bright. The effect can leave some scenes looking like they’ve been backlit by an amateur who doesn’t know you’re meant to light your subject from behind the camera, not behind their head.

I’ve alleviated it to some extent by very carefully altering my picture settings, but for the most part it seems to come down to the way the film maker has composed their scenes and I suspect may also be something to do with the way HDR is implemented in post production.

Jaymoss 16-09-2022 14:03

can you not just turn HDR off

Chris 16-09-2022 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36134308)
can you not just turn HDR off

Bizarrely enough on my TV you can’t. If the stream is HDR, you get HDR. TBH it isn’t as much of an issue for me now as it was when I first got this TV. I suspect the general level of competence in using it has improved as it has become more widespread, which is what has made me think that the problem was at least partly in the implementation rather than in my TV.

ThunderPants73 25-10-2022 10:39

I actually enjoyed the show. I know it took many liberties and we had the unavoidable and ubiquitous WOKE stuff but it had good production values and a decent cast. IMO it beats all of the reality TV dross and the endless comic book shows.

denphone 25-10-2022 10:54

The final episode will lead nicely into series two and the battles to come.