Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : Stargirl (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708484)

pip08456 11-12-2019 13:39

Stargirl

We now have a trailer.

General Maximus 11-12-2019 20:51

Re: Stargirl

I won't be watching it, there are too many shows on the go already. I am already mardy because I have just realised that Crisis On Infinite Earths is a flipping 5 series crossover event. I don't watch Batwoman I refuse to watch LoT. I does make me ponder the merits of these crossovers because how many people watch all the series involved. They would have been better off keeping it to the main 3 and just including the core characters from the other series to support.

Chris 11-12-2019 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36019944)
I won't be watching it, there are too many shows on the go already. I am already mardy because I have just realised that Crisis On Infinite Earths is a flipping 5 series crossover event. I don't watch Batwoman I refuse to watch LoT. I does make me ponder the merits of these crossovers because how many people watch all the series involved. They would have been better off keeping it to the main 3 and just including the core characters from the other series to support.

The crossovers have become an end in themselves. Seeing how big they can make them is the aim, with precious little attention to good storytelling.

I have a Supergirl season 1-3 blu-ray box set that includes the complete Crisis on Earth X crossover, and a documentary which is basically just a chat on the sofa between the main showrunners from the series' that contributed to it, sitting there patting each other on the back for how clever they are.

As a family we skipped over the crossover episodes when we reach them, unless they're the simple, early ones with just Supergirl/Flash (youngest loves Barry). Earth X is just a mess. I eventually sat down and watched it all when I had the house to myself. There's about 3 hours I'll never get back.

Paul 11-12-2019 23:27

God, what a miserable lot you are. :erm:

Im enjoying the crossover (again) and will be watching Stargirl. :D

Stephen 12-12-2019 00:02

Star girl looks good.

The crossovers are brilliant. This one is very epic and worth watching. So is Batwoman, it's been a good show so far.

General Maximus 12-12-2019 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36019955)
The crossovers have become an end in themselves. Seeing how big they can make them is the aim, with precious little attention to good storytelling.

I have a Supergirl season 1-3 blu-ray box set that includes the complete Crisis on Earth X crossover, and a documentary which is basically just a chat on the sofa between the main showrunners from the series' that contributed to it, sitting there patting each other on the back for how clever they are.

As a family we skipped over the crossover episodes when we reach them, unless they're the simple, early ones with just Supergirl/Flash (youngest loves Barry). Earth X is just a mess. I eventually sat down and watched it all when I had the house to myself. There's about 3 hours I'll never get back.

that's my point, it is more of a showing off exercise of getting everyone together than doing anything substantive. It is very much a case of more is less and a process of moving Supergirl, Arrow and Flash between the series' cast episodes and the weak stories are designed to fit around the characters rather than them coming up with a good story and making the characters work around it (if that makes sense). In stuff like the MCU you look forward to them all getting together but in the DC series I a actually think the individual episodes/series are significantly better than what they attempt in the crossovers.

I have only seen episode one so far and to be fair it is the best crossover I have seen (in DC) because they have had a proper build up and depth to it but it is still ruined because I won't be watching LoT.

Chris 12-12-2019 19:35

The Marvel Netflix shows were quite good at it. There were plenty of crossovers but they were very understated and always served the plot. Obviously the big-screen MCU stuff has been working to a master plan for decades now so again, characters pop up in each other’s franchises whenever it drives the story arc forwards. The DC TV stuff really is a case of the production teams sitting down and challenging themselves to see how supersized they can go this year.

pip08456 12-12-2019 20:02

I'll do with Stargirl what I normally do. Give it 3 episodes to see if it draws me in, if not I'll drop it.

I lost interest with LOT but will be watching the crossover episode otherwise what's the point of watching the crossover?

I'm enjoying Batgirl up to now.

Stephen 12-12-2019 20:16

LoT has changed a lot since it started. Big cast changes and also story changes. I think it's so much better now.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was such a big story that they had to involve all the shows and even shows that aren't strictly part of the DCTV Arrowverse.

Chris 12-12-2019 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36020020)
LoT has changed a lot since it started. Big cast changes and also story changes. I think it's so much better now.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was such a big story that they had to involve all the shows and even shows that aren't strictly part of the DCTV Arrowverse.

TBH I think you’ve got that back to front. They wanted to involve all the shows, plus as many secondary characters as possible, and therefore the story had to be big enough to accommodate them.

Paul 20-05-2020 03:07

Watched Episode 1 tonight.

I wasnt expecting much, but it turned out to be quite entertaining.

Stephen 20-05-2020 03:19

I was the same didn't expect much and didn't know much about Stargirl but it surprised me. A great cast and seems promising.

General Maximus 21-05-2020 15:03

It's on my to do list. I might try and watch it tonight with The Snowpiercer. I watched season 1 of Black Lightning and gave up a few eps into season 2. Let's hope this is better.

pip08456 21-05-2020 15:27

So far it is better than Snowpiercer. I quite enjoyed it.

Chris 21-05-2020 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36035940)
It's on my to do list. I might try and watch it tonight with The Snowpiercer. I watched season 1 of Black Lightning and gave up a few eps into season 2. Let's hope this is better.

I stuck with Black Lightning S2 and thought it improved as it went along. However I'm now working my way through S3 on Netflix and it's pretty dire. It has vanished far, far up its own ar$e.

Paul 21-05-2020 17:34

I'm happy with Black Lightning, but thats really the subject of another thread.

I watched Snowpiercer & Stargirl the same night, and enjoyed Stargirl far more.

General Maximus 24-05-2020 14:06

I am not too sure about this. It definitely feels like more of a kids superhero series. I don't know how to explain it but the brother and stepdad (Pat) do my head in. Their acting performance feels completely fake and artificial, like what you see in a sitcom. The only thing which kept it going for me was Stargirl, I love her, and atm I don't know whether it is because of the character or the because of the actress who plays her. We'll find out.....

Stephen 24-05-2020 15:36

I didn't like the brother at all. However I like Pat, I've seenLuke Wilson and his brother Owen in many films and they have a similar chilled vibein terms of their acting and the way they talk. Its just his style.

I have a feeling the show will get better over time. Especially when they introduce us to more of the new JSA. Its quote a fun light hearted show at heart, I think that why it comes across as being aimed at a younger audience. Especially with Stargirl herself only being around 15/16.

Well see how the second episode goes this week.

General Maximus 10-08-2020 22:19

Interesting ending, I wasn't expecting them to wrap it up so tidily. It is almost as if they are preparing for it to be cancelled.

Stephen 10-08-2020 22:28

Its been given a second season.

Then again it was filmed before that was confirmed. However the reveal of the next big bad at the end indicates their plans going forward. As well as a certain someone looking for Pat.

Paul 11-08-2020 01:02

Its always better to wrap up what you can.
I hate series that end on a cliff hanger that never gets resolved.

The last line of a report of the final episode summed the series up for me ;
Quote:

I didn’t expect to even like Stargirl, but I ended up loving it.

Chris 21-08-2020 18:50

Stargirl season 1 has just appeared on Prime.

General Maximus 21-08-2020 19:53

Nice, it is defo worth a watch and tbh i prefer it over all the other dc series apart from Flash.

Chris 21-08-2020 22:37

Watched episode 1, quite liked it, I can see it’s aimed less at the black tee shirt brigade and more at families/teens, however all three of my kids decided to dislike it on principle this evening, just because it was my choice on the TV :rofl:

General Maximus 21-08-2020 22:53

Get them to watch ep 2 before they decide to drop it. It was very 50/50 with ep 1 because Pat and his son do my head in. More characters are introduced in ep 2 which in turn adds more variety.

General Maximus 04-05-2021 09:00

It has been renewed for a 3rd season

Paul 05-05-2021 04:31

Season 2 of Stargirl starts in August.

General Maximus 18-07-2021 20:22

SnoopZ 11-08-2021 19:06

First episode of S2 is now available on Prime.

General Maximus 11-08-2021 20:05

I am watching the final two episodes of BSG tonight and the I am going to get right on it. Stargirl is by far the best DC series and it is purely down to the character and actress being so genuine and not wooden like the rest of them.

Paul 12-08-2021 01:04

I have it ready to watch, but Wednesday is a busy day for TV ;

Stargirl
What If
Superman & Lois
Monsters at Work

pip08456 12-08-2021 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36089454)
I am watching the final two episodes of BSG tonight and the I am going to get right on it. Stargirl is by far the best DC series and it is purely down to the character and actress being so genuine and not wooden like the rest of them.

Just shows your mind can change.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...3&postcount=17

Chris 12-08-2021 09:33

I watched s2e1 last night. It really could have done with an extended recap at the outset though - 12 months on I’m struggling to remember exactly who all the secondary characters are.

I enjoyed it a lot. They have managed to give it the look and the pace of a feature film which the other DC shows often don’t quite pull off - Supergirl in particular tries to do episodic stories but allows the season arc to become too intrusive. That said, in pursuit of a feature-length serialised story they have set so many plates spinning in the first episode that it is very hard to sum up exactly what happened and I’m not convinced the episode cliffhanger was in the right place. If you haven’t seen part 1 yet I suspect you will have your enjoyment enhanced by waiting until part 2 drops next week, then have a mini-binge.

Brec Bassinger continues to be endlessly cute but it’s increasingly difficult to believe she’s really a teenager.

General Maximus 13-08-2021 11:06

Loved this ep. It is always good when they slow things down and spend some time with the characters in their normal lives. It is good character development, adds depth to their lives and the world they live in and contributes to the realism factor.

The one thing which is killing me is how did Beth's googles get repaired?

Chris 13-08-2021 11:41

Does Stargirl give you a particularly good realism factor?

Jaymoss 13-08-2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36089480)
I have it ready to watch, but Wednesday is a busy day for TV ;

Stargirl
What If
Superman & Lois
Monsters at Work

have you not tried Motherland Fort Salem ? I also watch Turner and Hooch on a Wednesday. Fantasy Island started too but even though there was a link to the original it seems a lot more magical than I ever remember it being

SnoopZ 13-08-2021 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36089669)
Does Stargirl give you a particularly good realism factor?

:rofl:

Paul 13-08-2021 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36089678)
have you not tried Motherland Fort Salem ? I also watch Turner and Hooch on a Wednesday. Fantasy Island started too but even though there was a link to the original it seems a lot more magical than I ever remember it being

I tried Motherland Fort Salem but found Episode 1 hard work, havent gone back to it since.
I also have a copy of Fantasy Island, but Ive not watched it yet, I didnt care much for the original.

Jaymoss 13-08-2021 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36089736)
I tried Motherland Fort Salem but found Episode 1 hard work, havent gone back to it since.
I also have a copy of Fantasy Island, but Ive not watched it yet, I didnt care much for the original.

I really like Motherland Fort Salem I doubt I will continue long with F I

General Maximus 15-08-2021 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36089487)
Just shows your mind can change

not really :p: I pretty much said exactly the same thing :erm: and I think I made that comment after the first episode aired. Pat has become less annoying but the son still does my head in. Stargirl/Courtney in contrast has just got better and better.

SnoopZ 12-07-2022 11:18

Season 3 premieres August 31st.

pip08456 12-07-2022 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36089510)
I watched s2e1 last night. It really could have done with an extended recap at the outset though - 12 months on I’m struggling to remember exactly who all the secondary characters are.

I enjoyed it a lot. They have managed to give it the look and the pace of a feature film which the other DC shows often don’t quite pull off - Supergirl in particular tries to do episodic stories but allows the season arc to become too intrusive. That said, in pursuit of a feature-length serialised story they have set so many plates spinning in the first episode that it is very hard to sum up exactly what happened and I’m not convinced the episode cliffhanger was in the right place. If you haven’t seen part 1 yet I suspect you will have your enjoyment enhanced by waiting until part 2 drops next week, then have a mini-binge.

Brec Bassinger continues to be endlessly cute but it’s increasingly difficult to believe she’s really a teenager.

Just realised she was 21 when you posted this. DOB May 25th 1999.

Chris 12-07-2022 12:50

Yeah, and playing a character who IIRC is meant to be about 16. Like many young adult actors asked to play teenagers, she pitches her voice up and puts an extra spring in everything she does. Cute, but not entirely convincing. Plus she just doesn’t look 16, though that’s not a problem because she looks 21!

pip08456 12-07-2022 14:40

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36128065)
Yeah, and playing a character who IIRC is meant to be about 16. Like many young adult actors asked to play teenagers, she pitches her voice up and puts an extra spring in everything she does. Cute, but not entirely convincing. Plus she just doesn’t look 16, though that’s not a problem because she looks 21!

Can't deny that.;)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1657633173

SnoopZ 01-09-2022 15:02

Just a reminder Season 3 episode 1 dropped on 31st August, not sure when it'll hit Amazon Prime UK so it looks like CinemaHD time again unless there is something better and just as easy to use, Kodi doesn't work for me anymore?

Jaymoss 01-09-2022 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36132951)
Just a reminder Season 3 episode 1 dropped on 31st August, not sure when it'll hit Amazon Prime UK so it looks like CinemaHD time again unless there is something better and just as easy to use, Kodi doesn't work for me anymore?

Sonarr auto put it on my PC hahaha

SnoopZ 01-09-2022 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132952)
Sonarr auto put it on my PC hahaha

Is it a 1 click app I can put on a Firestick?

Damn looks like it's just a downloading tool, don't really want to start leaching again unless I was desperate and then stream it to Plex or something.

Jaymoss 01-09-2022 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36132955)
Is it a 1 click app I can put on a Firestick?

Damn looks like it's just a downloading tool, don't really want to start leaching again unless I was desperate and then stream it to Plex or something.

Have you ever tried RealDebrid with CinemaHD?

SnoopZ 01-09-2022 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132956)
Have you ever tried RealDebrid with CinemaHD?

No because that's not Free? It looks like CinemaHD is shutdown.

Just found an awesome replacement that seems far far better so far, TeaTV installed via Downloader on my Firestick it gives me a few seconds of an ad at the start of playing but all the links seem super fast with great subtitles so will test it this evening with the last few episodes of Manifest.

Edit

I recommend giving TeaTV a go on Android I can't stress how quick and easy it is to use and far better than any other app I have ever tried including the more hassle Kodi, at least for TV Shows and Movies.

Paul 01-09-2022 19:14

Well aside from torrents, if you have a VPN you could pick a US server and watch it from the CW website.

Jaymoss 01-09-2022 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132970)
Well aside from torrents, if you have a VPN you could pick a US server and watch it from the CW website.

The options me and Snoop mentioned were not torrents also :) TeaTV is a scraper addon

Paul 01-09-2022 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36132978)
The options me and Snoop mentioned were not torrents

I didnt say they were.

Jaymoss 01-09-2022 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36132985)
I didnt say they were.

It is very difficult to read inference isn't it :)

Conversation goes

CinemaHD
TeaTV
RealDebrid
and you then said "Well aside from Torrents" and add an option

So you can see why I thought you were just continuing the conversation with me and snoop instead of adding a different point :)

Paul 14-12-2022 01:42

And then it was gone.
Final episode watched, another nail in the CW coffin.

Chris 14-12-2022 11:06

Is that a season not yet released on Amazon Prime you’re talking about?

SnoopZ 14-12-2022 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36141819)

I couldn't wait for it so I used TeaTV.

Paul 14-12-2022 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36141819)

Season 3, I have no idea whats on Amazon Prime.