Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   4g 5g mobile phone (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711839)

Itshim 14-04-2023 17:49

4g 5g mobile phone

Have poor signal on 5g in house 4g is fine which matches what O2 says for my area. However my phone seems to use 5g when ever it finds a signal , it's an oppo a74 , system is color (android) any thoughts on how to stop it :dozey:

joglynne 14-04-2023 18:04

Re: 4g 5g mobile phone

I have a Realme mobile (origionally produced by Oppo). In my Sim Info & settings I can choose my "Preferred network type" I have mine set to Auto but could choose to restrict use to 4G. Maybe this could be an option on your phone?

SnoopZ 14-04-2023 18:37

Seeing you're at home does your phone or O2 not support WiFi calling over your home network?

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Turn WiFi calling on
https://support.oppo.com/eg-en/answer/?aid=2026441

Itshim 14-04-2023 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36149908)
I have a Realme mobile (origionally produced by Oppo). In my Sim Info & settings I can choose my "Preferred network type" I have mine set to Auto but could choose to restrict use to 4G. Maybe this could be an option on your phone?

Thanks , mobile network , open SIM card preferred network type ,3 auto settings ,5g to 2g ,
4g to 2g or 3g/2g will give it a go thanks again.:angel:

SnoopZ 14-04-2023 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36149912)
Thanks , mobile network , open SIM card preferred network type ,3 auto settings ,5g to 2g ,
4g to 2g or 3g/2g will give it a go thanks again.:angel:

Please try my WiFi calling option first.

Itshim 14-04-2023 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36149914)

Just looked no option , open SIM card ,
have SIM name ,
SIM number ,
data roaming ( is that it different name ?)
Preferred network type, were I set it to 4g/3g/2g
access point ,
names operator that's it :confused:

Jaymoss 14-04-2023 18:58

sometimes my phone shows 5G when it is really 4G

When you say the signal is poor is it actually stopping you doing anything? have you run a speedtest?

SnoopZ 14-04-2023 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36149917)
Just looked no option , open SIM card ,
have SIM name ,
SIM number ,
data roaming ( is that it different name ?)
Preferred network type, were I set it to 4g/3g/2g
access point ,
names operator that's it :confused:

According to that link if you have followed it exactly you may need to perform the simple update on your phone, it may also mean your version of phone may not support it.

What if the Wi-Fi Calling feature won't turn on
Perform the following methods if you can't enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature of your OPPO A74 5G.

Update the phone software
Go to [Settings] > [Software updates] / [System updates] or [Settings] > [About phone] / [About device] and update your phone to the latest software version.

Go to your OPPO A74 5G's [Settings].

Tap on the [Mobile Network] / [Dual SIM & Cellular] / [Dual SIM & Mobile Network] / [SIM Card & Mobile Data].

Select the SIM card you want to modify.

Tap on [Wi-Fi Calling].

joglynne 14-04-2023 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36149914)

Maybe Itshim can't access wifi calling due to his sim card provider not supporting it.

I have a duel sim phone and my main sim is 1penny mobile (EE) which supports wifi calling but my second sim is from giffgaff (O2) and Wi-Fi calling and voLTE (AKA 4G voice calls) are not supported.

SnoopZ 14-04-2023 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36149920)
Maybe Itshim can't access wifi calling due to his sim card provider not supporting it.

I have a duel sim phone and my main sim is 1penny mobile (EE) which supports wifi calling but my second sim is from giffgaff (O2) and Wi-Fi calling and voLTE (AKA 4G voice calls) are not supported.

Yes that is what I was thinking too, bummer if that's the case.

Jaymoss 14-04-2023 19:53

Confused why is there talk of WiFi calling? I do not see any mention of issue with voice calls unless I am missing something

SnoopZ 14-04-2023 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36149923)
Confused why is there talk of WiFi calling? I do not see any mention of issue with voice calls unless I am missing something

I was assuming poor 5g meant bad voice calls too and WiFi calling would solve this.

But now I'm confused why is the OP relying on 5G in the home on his mobile when he should be connected to his home WiFi network? :confused:

Jaymoss 14-04-2023 20:02

Why would poor 5G have any effect on voice calls?

SnoopZ 14-04-2023 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36149925)

I just got confused because I have poor 4g and weak voice call signal here which are both fixed with WiFi calling and home WiFi. :D

Just read back op never mentioned he had bad voice calls.... I need sleep.

Maybe op has never connected his mobile to his home network for some strange reason?

Itshim 16-04-2023 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36149925)

O2 site says that 5g is poor within my house. Callers say that they can't hear me, I can hear them clearly. Says 4 g is excellent with in the house hence the question . The software is the latest version ( automatically upgrades) . Guess Tesco does not support WiFi . As to your question I have no idea , just seeing 4g is better in the house.:dozey:

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36149926)
I just got confused because I have poor 4g and weak voice call signal here which are both fixed with WiFi calling and home WiFi. :D

Just read back op never mentioned he had bad voice calls.... I need sleep.

Maybe op has never connected his mobile to his home network for some strange reason?

If used for any web browsering yes it connects to virgin no problems :)

SnoopZ 16-04-2023 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36149998)
O2 site says that 5g is poor within my house. Callers say that they can't hear me, I can hear them clearly. Says 4 g is excellent with in the house hence the question . The software is the latest version ( automatically upgrades) . Guess Tesco does not support WiFi . As to your question I have no idea , just seeing 4g is better in the house.:dozey:

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

If used for any web browsering yes it connects to virgin no problems :)

So why not keep it connected to your WiFi network all the time then you won't have a problem, I know this won't fix your WiFi calling issue though, Tesco say they're updating their network for WiFi calling. https://www.tescomobile.com/help/dev...and-4g-calling

As Jaymoss pointed out voice calls have nothing to do with 4g,5g.

It sounds like you need to use a network that either gives you good signal in your house or supports WiFi calling, for me Smarty on Three network does that for me.

https://smarty.co.uk/#plans

Itshim 17-04-2023 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36150000)
So why not keep it connected to your WiFi network all the time then you won't have a problem, I know this won't fix your WiFi calling issue though, Tesco say they're updating their network for WiFi calling. https://www.tescomobile.com/help/dev...and-4g-calling

As Jaymoss pointed out voice calls have nothing to do with 4g,5g.

It sounds like you need to use a network that either gives you good signal in your house or supports WiFi calling, for me Smarty on Three network does that for me.

https://smarty.co.uk/#plans

O2 checker * says that when referring to talk that my post code is good for 5g outdoors poor in doors 4g is good on both . Seems a strange message if nothing to do with talk :erm: it's not the end of the world . Have made some calls since changing and no problems now on 4g . So switched back to 5g and guess what phone went to 5g and the problem came back :D went back to 4g same number no problem. Sorry but I fail to believe that 5g is not the problem. Having checked oppo say Tesco doesn't yet support wi fi calling ,guess I just have to wait. Checked on system color os 13.0 android 13, so up to date * as does Tesco's think it is just a brand change as it looks the same

Hom3r 19-04-2023 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36149905)
Have poor signal on 5g in house 4g is fine which matches what O2 says for my area. However my phone seems to use 5g when ever it finds a signal , it's an oppo a74 , system is color (android) any thoughts on how to stop it :dozey:

I've had to enable WiFi calling otherwise I get no calls. My O2 shop was as much use as a piece of string is to someone with diarrhoea.

Jaymoss 19-04-2023 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150059)
O2 checker * says that when referring to talk that my post code is good for 5g outdoors poor in doors 4g is good on both . Seems a strange message if nothing to do with talk :erm: it's not the end of the world . Have made some calls since changing and no problems now on 4g . So switched back to 5g and guess what phone went to 5g and the problem came back :D went back to 4g same number no problem. Sorry but I fail to believe that 5g is not the problem. Having checked oppo say Tesco doesn't yet support wi fi calling ,guess I just have to wait. Checked on system color os 13.0 android 13, so up to date * as does Tesco's think it is just a brand change as it looks the same

Calls use the old GSM standard I believe which is 2G or VoLTE which is 4G. So poor 5G will have no effect on your ability to make calls. Plans to kill 2G are in place to be done by 2033

Itshim 19-04-2023 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150125)
Calls use the old GSM standard I believe which is 2G or VoLTE which is 4G. So poor 5G will have no effect on your ability to make calls. Plans to kill 2G are in place to be done by 2033

Can make calls on 5g the problem on 5g is the other end say that I am breaking up or can't be heard at all.. not a problem when using 4g

Jaymoss 19-04-2023 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150130)
Can make calls on 5g the problem on 5g is the other end say that I am breaking up or can't be heard at all.. not a problem when using 4g

Open the settings of your smartphone > Click on the More button in the Wireless and networks or Connection section > Select the Mobile networks option > Click on Network mode > Check the 4G/LTE box

from a google

SnoopZ 19-04-2023 12:57

Yeah my mobile has an option that says VoLTE calls Sim1 which is enabled. (use LTE data networks for calls whenever possible) and as Jaymoss says select 4G/LTE rather than 5G/LTE/3G/2G which is the options on my phone.

Itshim 19-04-2023 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36150134)
Yeah my mobile has an option that says VoLTE calls Sim1 which is enabled. (use LTE data networks for calls whenever possible) and as Jaymoss says select 4G/LTE rather than 5G/LTE/3G/2G which is the options on my phone.

Sorry to repeat Tesco does not offer these choices.
Have a choice of 5g,4g,3g,2g,auto
or4g,3g,2g auto
or 3g,2g auto
thats it, no problem with second choice . First one seems to be the problem, hence my saying it's 5g :erm:

Jaymoss 19-04-2023 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150158)
Sorry to repeat Tesco does not offer these choices.
Have a choice of 5g,4g,3g,2g,auto
or4g,3g,2g auto
or 3g,2g auto
thats it, no problem with second choice . First one seems to be the problem, hence my saying it's 5g :erm:

you clearly have not been reading what has been said to you either

If 5G is the problem don't freaking use it simples

Itshim 20-04-2023 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150160)
you clearly have not been reading what has been said to you either

If 5G is the problem don't freaking use it simples

At the very start my question was how to turn it off. Have no interest in using 5g for anything but making phone calls . Just pointing out that repeating something won't make it true. :shocked:
i itotally get that, for what ever reason banging on about internet on 5g via smart phone was not what I asked :) but thank you for your extremely helpful post:rolleyes:

Jaymoss 20-04-2023 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150132)
Open the settings of your smartphone > Click on the More button in the Wireless and networks or Connection section > Select the Mobile networks option > Click on Network mode > Check the 4G/LTE box

from a google

you mean this one that goes into detail on how to do it !!!

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150218)
At the very start my question was how to turn it off. Have no interest in using 5g for anything but making phone calls . Just pointing out that repeating something won't make it true. :shocked:
i itotally get that, for what ever reason banging on about internet on 5g via smart phone was not what I asked :) but thank you for your extremely helpful post:rolleyes:

why do you want to use 5G for phone calls when you have stated it does not freaking work properly and those you call have issues with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150130)

Here you clearly see you saying 5G is the problem.

Itshim 03-05-2023 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36150219)
you mean this one that goes into detail on how to do it !!!

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

why do you want to use 5G for phone calls when you have stated it does not freaking work properly and those you call have issues with it?

Here you clearly see you saying 5G is the problem.

Totally agree ! I asked how to turn it off:confused: was answered and also give other advice,which my provider does not offer the conversation has been side tracked in regard to this.

Corey N Georgie 10-05-2023 16:53

I'm with EE and 5g here in Swansea is a nightmare.

It drops out all over the place, one minute its working then its not and my handset is only 2 months old so I know its not that.

Dude111 10-05-2023 23:43

If I ever did get one of these phones I would get one that does not have any 5G access..... 5G is dangerous and I try to avoid it as much as possible...

GrimUpNorth 11-05-2023 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36151609)
If I ever did get one of these phones I would get one that does not have any 5G access..... 5G is dangerous and I try to avoid it as much as possible...

I'll bite. Care to explain your dangerous statement?

SnoopZ 11-05-2023 15:08

Quote:

Stop with your conspiracy theory bollox please. :rolleyes:

Hom3r 19-05-2023 11:25

Quote:

Conspiracy nuts over 5G are way more dangerous than 5G

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36151646)
I'll bite. Care to explain your dangerous statement?

Another person who no doubt believes that 5G causes Covid!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36151648)
Stop with your conspiracy theory bollox please. :rolleyes:

I heard one of them in Dunelm this morning.