Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What are you reading? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13432)

Jules 07-08-2005 22:25

Re: What are you reading?

They went to the death chamber........very interesting factual book

Mr_love_monkey 07-08-2005 22:28

Just finished 'The Black Angel' by John Connolly - very good book - little bit strange at times, but it does seem to offer some explanations about why certain things happen to him.

Next up is Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamiltion (best known for the nights dawn trilogy..)

me283 08-08-2005 11:42

Just started "The Hiram Key" by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas; it's early days yet, but it's an alternative approach to a topic that greatly interests me.

Read an interesting book last week called "Hateland" by Bernard O'Mahoney; it's fascinating. It tells how someone who was involved in the British Nazi movement changed his opinions completely after becoming great friends with the very people he thought he despised. It is quite brutal in parts as the man is a self confessed former thug; but it also tells the story of someone who had an upbringing that I would never wish on my worst enemy. It is honest, frank, occasionally humorous, and desperately sad at the end. I recommend it.

Graham 08-08-2005 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal
The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Dilligaf told me about it in another thread, so I thought that I'd better read it. :)

It's an excellent little story. I'd recommend virtually all of his works (apart from the later stuff, especially where he started franchising out his name) as quality hard SF.

Or, for some good chuckles, try his "Tales from the White Hart" :)

me283 08-08-2005 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham

Or, for some good chuckles, try his "Tales from the White Hart" :)

Yep, very good read. Read it a long time back but still it sticks in my mind as a memorable read.

Angua 13-08-2005 23:41

The Castle of Mirrors by Jenny Nimmo (Children of the Red King IV)

:blush: Yes I know it's aimed at children but this is the fourth book in the series and the plot and story line is good. A bit like HP but with loads of relatives both good and bad (and no broomsticks).

clarie 13-08-2005 23:43

Read a good book recently called 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' by Marina Lewycka. Nice light-hearted, quite fun, quite sad. About to read 'Orientalism' by Edward Said which will neither be light-hearted, nor fun.

Jules 14-08-2005 12:42

The highway code :(

Next in line is The doll who ate his mother :)

atlantis 16-08-2005 16:02

Just finished re-reading Isaac Asimov's "I Robot" (butchered in the Will Smith film, but heh, what can you expect).
Sadly lots of this guys stuff now out of print, and getting harder to replace moth eaten copies I own.

Mr_love_monkey 17-09-2005 07:51

Thought I would revive this one...

I've just finished 'Journeys in the dead season'.. has anyone else read it, and if so - can they explain it to me? - more specifically what the epilogue has to do with anything?

scrotnig 17-09-2005 09:06

Humph! Well I've been reading 'Learning Legal Rules' by Holland & Webb. Great night time reading I can assure you. :erm:

Xaccers 17-09-2005 09:43

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

timewarrior2001 17-09-2005 10:58

Jack higgins - the eagle has landed

sir_drinks_alot 17-09-2005 11:29

The Mail

dilli-theclaw 17-09-2005 11:30

I've broken out my copy of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy again (the Hardback edition with all 5 books in it) :)