Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

papa smurf 01-12-2020 15:36

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36060525)
Thank you.

I wonder, if he has an major operation, he uses a "natural" general anaesthetic? ;)

like something poppy based, or valerian maybe

jonbxx 01-12-2020 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36060500)
But the testing has been rushed, most new treatments don't go into production for use in the general population in such a short timeframe, if people want to take the vaccine then they should be aware that it has been rushed into the final stages of production, I personally will not be having the vaccination until it has a few years safety record behind it, but I wouldn't stand in the way of anyone who wants it, it has to be down to the individuals choice.

It really hasn't been rushed. The risks taken by the vaccine developers are largely financial. Normally drug companies would perform each stage of testing and analyse to make a decision on whether to move forward. That decision is both technical and financial - does the drug work and is it worth our while investing going to the next step?

In this case, during Phase I (safety) trials, Phase II and Phase III were already being planned. Normally, there would be a pause between each step to decide if it's worth going ahead. Instead, once the safety tests were completed, volunteers were already lined up for stages II and III. The gap between II and III is usually the big one as there will be huge investments in to manufacturing capacity. By huge, we're talking 10-100+ million quid here with months of work. The drug companies ran all of these steps overlapping each other at a significant financial risk to themselves if the vaccines failed at any step during the trials. Even now, the manufacturers are producing vaccines and storing them until they are approved. If approval doesn't go through or (more likely) changes are needed to be made, all that drug will need to be destroyed at a huge cost.

The total cost to bring a drug to market is estimated at $1-2 billion

With vaccines, the return on investment is rubbish as each patient will only have one or two doses of a vaccine through their lifetime with a few exceptions (flu because it changes every year and tetanus because it's a rubbish vaccine) Not only do patients not have many doses but vaccines prevent diseases that big pharma would like to treat with more drugs! The manufacturers try and bump up the price of vaccines to recoup costs but most health authorities fight back hard. Even a new vaccine like HPV is still pretty cheap and around £50 per dose. Because of this, pharma companies are very risk averse financially as the margins are terrible.

I am blown away by how quickly we have got to where we are to be honest. The scientists involved have done a great job here

Sephiroth 01-12-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36060525)
Thank you.

I wonder, if he has an major operation, he uses a "natural" general anaesthetic? ;)

It's obvious what the elderly person would have. Why have you bothered with that shallow remark?

Paul 01-12-2020 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36060528)
It's obvious what the elderly person would have. Why have you bothered with that shallow remark?

Obvious to who :confused: Please do explain it to those of us how do not find it obvious at all.

joglynne 01-12-2020 16:04

Ignore the headline. The article Is really about Nadhim Zahawi, who is responsible for the rollout of a vaccine and his thoughts on how people/venues could manage their need to prove/know who has been vaccinated.
Quote:

Freedom to not let you in? Pubs and cinemas could turn away vaccine refusers
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...MsGptFIngmjB2E

Sephiroth 01-12-2020 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36060529)
Obvious to who :confused: Please do explain it to those of us how do not find it obvious at all.

Tut tut your sarcasm.

Person goes to hospital for an operation.

Person is conventionally anesthetised.

Seems only you and your mate Hugh don't find it obvious.

Hom3r 01-12-2020 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36060467)
To help protect our dad my said has said this Christmas we won't be over.

I'm a bit upset but understand.

So no Turkey in our house this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36060469)
Cook it yourself it's not hard, plenty of instructions online.

Well only my dad eats it, so I'm going to see if one of the supermarkets sell a small frozen turkey joint.

papa smurf 01-12-2020 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36060541)
Well only my dad eats it, so I'm going to see if one of the supermarkets sell a small frozen turkey joint.

:tu:

Hugh 01-12-2020 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36060536)
Tut tut your sarcasm.

Person goes to hospital for an operation.

Person is conventionally anesthetised.

Seems only you and your mate Hugh don't find it obvious.

Most ops under general anaesthetic use Propofol - Propofol is not a ‘natural medicine’; in fact, there can be negative interactions* between some ‘natural medicines’ and Propofol (and Fentanyl, another widely used general anaesthetic).

This is why I was asking.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/up...date-2017.docx

*one of the people I meet dog walking in the morning is an anaesthesiologist, and she had mentioned this...

Jimmy-J 01-12-2020 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36060451)
Good job there was no one around to tell Jenner not to experiment with finding a vaccination against smallpox.;)

And a good job there was no one around to tell Jenner not to experiment on James Phipps, a fairly healthy eight-year-old boy. Mind, it was over 200 years ago.

RichardCoulter 01-12-2020 18:53

I think i'll let others try it out first to see if anything negative happens before making a decision myself.

Mad Max 01-12-2020 18:59

I think the government may go down the route of asking TV personalities, maybe even football stars, if they'd be willing to accept the vaccination of course, this may well encourage those who have doubts about the vaccine to go ahead and get it.

1andrew1 01-12-2020 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36060563)
I think the government may go down the route of asking TV personalities, maybe even football stars, if they'd be willing to accept the vaccination of course, this may well encourage those who have doubts about the vaccine to go ahead and get it.

Yes, I believe that's the plan. I don't need any more convincing by influencers. Inject me up and then got me on my summer hols!

Mad Max 01-12-2020 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36060564)
Yes, I believe that's the plan. I don't need any more convincing by influencers. Inject me up and then got me on my summer hols!

Oh yes, that's my thoughts too.:)

papa smurf 01-12-2020 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36060563)

MP's should go down the rout of getting their own family's vaccinated first just to show how safe it is.

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36060562)
I think i'll let others try it out first to see if anything negative happens before making a decision myself.

Gets my vote:)