Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What are you reading? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13432)

me283 18-07-2005 22:01

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
I'm fairly sure that Dan Brown read this book before he wrote the 'Da Vinci Code'

I have heard something similar about a couple of books of this genre. But isn't "The Da Vinci Code" a kind of fictitious tale?

Mr_love_monkey 18-07-2005 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by me283
I have heard something similar about a couple of books of this genre. But isn't "The Da Vinci Code" a kind of fictitious tale?

Yeah, it's ficiton (despite what Dan Brown says) - but alot of the background he uses has been talked about in these books, such as 'The Prioy' (which was proved not to exist in that book) - Da Vinci supposedly knowing the 'truth' about Christ and hiding things in his paintings (though having said that, one of the theories is that the painting actually say that Jesus wasn't the 'chosen one' and that it was infact John The Baptist and Jesus just cashed in on it and exploited it - which is why there's a 'pointed finger' in some of the paintings (if I remember rightly)

me283 18-07-2005 22:12

Quote:

Yeah, it's ficiton (despite what Dan Brown says) - but alot of the background he uses has been talked about in these books, such as 'The Prioy' (which was proved not to exist in that book) - Da Vinci supposedly knowing the 'truth' about Christ and hiding things in his paintings (though having said that, one of the theories is that the painting actually say that Jesus wasn't the 'chosen one' and that it was infact John The Baptist and Jesus just cashed in on it and exploited it - which is why there's a 'pointed finger' in some of the paintings (if I remember rightly)

Hmmm... yes, there are a few contradictory things flying around about a lot of the areas covered in these books. There is some interesting stuff about Da Vinci in "Holy Blood..." though. Personally I find it fascinating; I only wish I had the time to research it thoroughly myself. I'm going over there at some stage later this year, so I shall scout around the region as much as time allows. Incidentally, there's also the theory that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene...?

Mr_love_monkey 18-07-2005 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by me283
Incidentally, there's also the theory that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene...?

Yeah, that's a fairly common thread running through most of the theories - to be honest I find some of the other bits a bit more interesting - like the one that Jesus was trying to introduce aspects of the Egyptian/Gnostic religion into the Jewish religion - and that the whole cruxifiction was just a well played out ruse (though apparently it went a bit wrong and he ended up worse off than expected).
A lot of the theory comes down to comparisons between Jesus and Mary Magdalene, and Orisis and Isis, the Egyptian gods - with the familiar 'resurrection' theme running through both stories.

me283 18-07-2005 22:24

Quote:

Yeah, that's a fairly common thread running through most of the theories - to be honest I find some of the other bits a bit more interesting - like the one that Jesus was trying to introduce aspects of the Egyptian/Gnostic religion into the Jewish religion - and that the whole cruxifiction was just a well played out ruse (though apparently it went a bit wrong and he ended up worse off than expected).
A lot of the theory comes down to comparisons between Jesus and Mary Magdalene, and Orisis and Isis, the Egyptian gods - with the familiar 'resurrection' theme running through both stories.

Yep, it certainly does have some interesting threads; and they are annoyingly enticing! They seem to keep feeding my brain, but making it want to learn more!

I have to say though, that the current book I am reading raises a lot of questions of the religious aspect, and other matters eg Freemasonry etc. Fascinating stuff.

Millay 18-07-2005 22:38

In my quest to find a rep free thread, I thought I would come here and tel lyou what i am reading at the moment..

Someone Comes to Town Someowne Leaves Town by Cory Doctorow.

He posts his boks for download and I ve been reading it as it has a slightly techy nerdy edge to it... but all I can say is its one hell of a strange book.. people being born from washing machines women with wings... Thankfully I donttake drugs or my brain would be seriously damaged know... oh hold on it already is :D

Angua 27-07-2005 22:08

Reading "In your Dreams" by Tom Holt at the mo. Is a follow on from "The Portable Door". Very surreal fantasy along the lines of Robert Rankin only IMO more readable.

Mr_love_monkey 27-07-2005 22:11

I'm reading 'The burning girl' by Mark Billingham - so far so good -some hit man seems to be taking out mafia guys - and somehow it's linked to a previous case where a girl was set alight in the school yard.

homealone 27-07-2005 23:16

'Hothouse' by Brian Aldiss

an 'at the end of time' story - the sun is starting to grow, vegetation takes over, humans shrink, giant spiders transport them to the moon, and back - all the while a fungus tries to control their minds........

classic scifi, I love it :)

Steve H 27-07-2005 23:26

Just started HP 6.... hopefully have that finished tonight or at the latest tommorow night, so I can attack a new book I got told about..

Unsure if it's already been posted in this thread, but ;

http://www.underground-book.com/about.php3

Seems promising, will post back once I've read it :)

Graham 28-07-2005 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua
Reading "In your Dreams" by Tom Holt at the mo. Is a follow on from "The Portable Door". Very surreal fantasy along the lines of Robert Rankin only IMO more readable.

I've read The Portable Door which was pretty good, but I tried others of his like Snow White and the Seven Samurai which I just found tedious and unfunny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
'Hothouse' by Brian Aldiss

I tried reading this one many years ago and was totally baffled by it! :erm:

skyblueheroes 28-07-2005 06:55

Sorry, not read all this thread as only just picked it up.

Just finished The Da Vinci Code - very good imo.

Now on A Paratroopers Story of D-Day and The Fall Of Nazi Germany. Just started, but seems okay so far.

Halcyon 29-07-2005 16:28

A book a friend of mine wrote currently untitled about vampires and dark adventures in Romania. Very interesting and chilling read.

Angua 07-08-2005 22:20

See Delphi and Die by Lindsey Davis

Off beat crime novel set in the time of Vespasian featuring an informer (detective) called Falco with a pratician wife Helen (who keeps him in line) and various disfunctional family members.

First book in the series is The Silver Pigs (set mostly in Britain and where he meets his future wife).

Mal 07-08-2005 22:22

The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Dilligaf told me about it in another thread, so I thought that I'd better read it. :)