Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Changes to Virgin TV (2021) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709646)

Derekb108 14-06-2021 21:32

Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36083129)
Do they still do “refer a friend” to virgin media bonuses? Sister is having trouble on sky due to huge trees behind them now causing pixelation

Here is that page:

https://virginmedia.aklamio.com/?source=help

RichardCoulter 14-06-2021 21:36

I don't know Vince, but last time I did it it took four years, I kid you not, for them to pay out to me. I know i'm not the only one to have had issues receiving the incentive payment as i've seen posts about this in various places

Also, the guy I referred had a terrible time with VM. He ended up leaving as soon as his contract was up. I found it embarrassing as when you do this you are effectively endorsing the company that you do it for.

It put a little strain on our friendship, so i'd never do it again, well, maybe i'd refer an enemy :D

cheekyangus 14-06-2021 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083136)
I don't know Vince, but last time I did it it took four years, I kid you not, for them to pay out to me. I know i'm not the only one to have had issues receiving the incentive payment as i've seen posts about this in various places

Also, the guy I referred had a terrible time with VM. He ended up leaving as soon as his contract was up. I found it embarrassing as when you do this you are effectively endorsing the company that you do it for.

It put a little strain on our friendship, so i'd never do it again, well, maybe i'd refer an enemy :D

Why else would you use a Refer A Friend scheme? That's the point it's an endorsement.

I recommend products/services for friends and family all the time without getting a bonus, but if that product/service had a scheme I'd use it. But the recommendation would happen anyway. I wouldn't be using the scheme if I wasn't at least pretty happy. If it were borderline-average it wouldn't happen.

Legendkiller2k 15-06-2021 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36083129)
Do they still do “refer a friend” to virgin media bonuses? Sister is having trouble on sky due to huge trees behind them now causing pixelation

Why on Earth would you refer a friend or family to the horror of VM? :D

Itshim 15-06-2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36083154)
Why on Earth would you refer a friend or family to the horror of VM? :D

Why on earth would you use a web site that you have nothing to do with ? The wonderful world of trolls l guess :confused:

Legendkiller2k 15-06-2021 12:55

Actually i'm not going to bite.

1701-e 15-06-2021 15:41

I've done 2 referrals in recent years and was paid within a couple of weeks.

RichardCoulter 15-06-2021 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36083150)
Why else would you use a Refer A Friend scheme? That's the point it's an endorsement.

I recommend products/services for friends and family all the time without getting a bonus, but if that product/service had a scheme I'd use it. But the recommendation would happen anyway. I wouldn't be using the scheme if I wasn't at least pretty happy. If it were borderline-average it wouldn't happen.

The money, but I didn't realise how crap they would be. At this time they hadn't generally reached the depths of crapness that they have today.

1701-e 15-06-2021 16:15

Didn't like his friends much if he recommended a service that he hates just to get money for the referral

jfman 15-06-2021 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36083271)
Didn't like his friends much if he recommended a service that he hates just to get money for the referral

Fifty quid is fifty quid, mate ;)

I bet OB wouldn’t refer anyone to a plethora of linear channels for £50.

OLD BOY 15-06-2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36083274)
Fifty quid is fifty quid, mate ;)

I bet OB wouldn’t refer anyone to a plethora of linear channels for £50.

The first compliment you have ever given me, jfman. I am deeply touched.

RichardCoulter 15-06-2021 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36083271)

If you read it properly you'll see that that was not the case.

The rapid deterioration in VM CS started after LG bought the company, it wasn't perfect before but now it's absolutely abysmal.

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 07:56

I think some areas are not good if reports on here are correct, but others (like mine) seem to be fine.

I did recommend Virgin to some acquaintances of mine in Uxbridge some years ago and they had abysmal service, which was embarrassing. I later read of the fact that they were living in an area where the service was known to be bad. Had I known that at the time, I would definitely not recommended them.

Legendkiller2k 16-06-2021 12:38

I often jest about VM calling them a horror show etc but it is not trolling i'm just merely having some humour at VMs expense.
To their credit they have come a very long way over the past 10 years and are currently testing 2gbs speeds on bb, a streaming tv service amongst other things.
Just wanted you guys to know despite one posters nasty comment i don't troll i jest and all info i post is posted in good faith on what info i see/get.

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36083436)
I often jest about VM calling them a horror show etc but it is not trolling i'm just merely having some humour at VMs expense.
To their credit they have come a very long way over the past 10 years and are currently testing 2gbs speeds on bb, a streaming tv service amongst other things.
Just wanted you guys to know despite one posters nasty comment i don't troll i jest and all info i post is posted in good faith on what info i see/get.

I would like to see an alternative arrangement from VM where you can still get a premium, cost-effective broadband service and an excellent choice of streamers instead of pay-tv channels. If it was well designed and reliable, I’d move over to that in a heartbeat.

They would need to have all the decent streamers on there, though, plus ad-free versions of ITV Player, All4 and My5.

Somehow, I think I will be disappointed!

Legendkiller2k 16-06-2021 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083445)
I would like to see an alternative arrangement from VM where you can still get a premium, cost-effective broadband service and an excellent choice of streamers instead of pay-tv channels. If it was well designed and reliable, I’d move over to that in a heartbeat.

They would need to have all the decent streamers on there, though, plus ad-free versions of ITV Player, All4 and My5.

Somehow, I think I will be disappointed!

Already happening get yourself a decent streaming device such as ROKU, Firetv or google tv then if available in your area sign up to one of the fttp services such as Hyperoptic, Vodafone, Gigaclear etc.
Or just get a 5G hub service from someonle like 3.

OLD BOY 16-06-2021 16:41

I have a Roku and Amazon Fire Stick already but my wife doesn’t like the wires coming down from our HDMIs (our telly is on the wall).

My hope is that VM will provide an offer that suits me, but I’m not that optimistic as yet.

Itshim 16-06-2021 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36083436)

So why come here ? I dont go to a forum for bt or sky Scottish power or any other number of companies because l dont use them . If you do use virgin perhaps its time to update your details::D

Legendkiller2k 16-06-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36083499)
So why come here ? I dont go to a forum for bt or sky Scottish power or any other number of companies because l dont use them . If you do use virgin perhaps its time to update your details::D

Do you own the forum? No only one person trolling here and it isn't me.
Who are you to say who can and who can't post on here? I actually post information regarding VM and if you stop trying to big the big man and look around you'll see there are sub forums.

Funny thing regarding VM it is available at my neighbours either side of me but not in my block lol, typical VM

RichardCoulter 17-06-2021 11:01

He's said in the past that he believes that those who don't use cable services shouldn't post on this forum. I recall Paul telling him to button it, or words to that effect.

Itshim 17-06-2021 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083567)
He's said in the past that he believes that those who don't use cable services shouldn't post on this forum. I recall Paul telling him to button it, or words to that effect.

The question was posted on a number of sites by a number of people for a research paper for a friend doing it as a project. For her doctate: As clearly the conclusion would really upset some people l will leave at that. :rolleyes:

RichardCoulter 17-06-2021 12:20

That makes no sense as it wasn't posed as a question, but was you simply saying that those who don't use cable services shouldn't be using CF.

As I recall, Paul made it clear to you that everyone was welcome to post on this site whether they were a cable user or not and told you to stop saying this as you had said it previously.

...yet you chose to say it again at 18:50 yesterday to Legendkiller2K who provides very useful information to this forum. I'll leave it for others to draw their own conclusions as to who the troll stirring things up is in this particular situation.

Edit: After posting this I took a look at the changeling thread only to find that you've been posting off topic sarcastic remarks to those who take the time to keep this thread up to date:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...607636&page=88

Legendkiller2k 17-06-2021 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083567)

He is supposed to be 70 more like 7 he is on ignore from me i have no time for trolls like him.
Anyway let's not talk about him anymore i might have some good news for vm customers next week whenb i get back in work, been told got a few documents waiting for me, you watch now i've said this they end up being something like system update documents lol.

Media Boy UK 17-06-2021 13:54

Al Jazeera English closing down rumours appear online, Disney confirm FOX UK Channels axe times.

I have seen unconfirmed reports on an web site that anyone can update that Al Jazeera English is set to close over on Sky on June 30th.

Note that time of posting I can't confirmed this "Rumour". Or what will happen with Virgin Media TV.

Also TiVo confirm that Disney will axe FOX and FOX HD at 6am with FOX +1 to follow at 7am on July 1st.

RichardCoulter 17-06-2021 16:06

Apparently, Al Jazeera are now advertising this closure during their ad breaks.

ScottishSteve 17-06-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36083594)
[B][COLOR="Green"]
I have seen unconfirmed reports on an web site that anyone can update that Al Jazeera English is set to close over on Sky on June 30th.

Any information I am seeing is that the SD feed will be closed in most territories on July 1st

The website says UPDATE:From 1st of July 2021 Al Jazeera English SD will only be available on Satellite Thor 5 12418 V 28000 7/8.

https://sat.aljazeera.net/en#

Media Boy UK 17-06-2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083608)
Apparently, Al Jazeera are now advertising this closure during their ad breaks.

Been watching Al Jazeera for over the hour (longer then ever before) and as far as I can see the Virgin Media UK feed do not carry advertising.

To Media Boy HQ it looks like an Al Jazeera English World Feed not an feed just for UK and N. Ireland.

We think Virgin Media is getting it feed from Intelsat 34 as Virgin Media UK has carry Al Jazeera Arabic Channel and that an only Satellite that broadcast both channels that time of posting.

ScottishSteve 17-06-2021 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36083613)
Been watching Al Jazeera for over the hour (longer then ever before) and as far as I can see the Virgin Media UK feed do not carry advertising.

Media Boy, you can rewind the YouTube stream and check through if you can be bothered.

But see my post above

epsilon 17-06-2021 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083578)
Edit: After posting this I took a look at the changeling thread only to find that you've been posting off topic sarcastic remarks to those who take the time to keep this thread up to date:

To be fair, some of the changes are tedious but, nevertheless, still changes and that's why the changelog is there.

RichardCoulter 17-06-2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36083613)

To Media Boy HQ it looks like an Al Jazeera English World Feed not an feed just for UK and N. Ireland.

We think Virgin Media is getting it feed from Intelsat 34 as Virgin Media UK has carry Al Jazeera Arabic Channel and that an only Satellite that broadcast both channels that time of posting.

The person who said this was watching on satellite via Sky.

Media Boy UK 17-06-2021 18:05

We have been looking up to get an idea on where Virgin Media UK is getting Al Jazeera English World satellite feed from:

Intelsat 34 - Brazil
Thor 5 - Norway
Intelsat 20 - carries 24 C-band, 54 Ku-band and 1 Ka-band transponders. The C-band covers the Asia-Pacific region, while the Ku-band transponders is used for Direct to Home broadcasting to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
Hot Bird 13C - Asia, Europe, Americas, North Africa and the Middle East,

18:55 UPDATE: So if Virgin Media UK is not using the Sky feed (Astra 2G) it look like the feed is coming from Hot Bird 13C as Al Jazeera Arabic Channel is only on Hot Bird 13C in this part of the World.

https://sat.aljazeera.net/en/frequen...ch/201/217,4,5

Raider999 17-06-2021 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36083499)

How better to keep abreast of current problems with Virgin than to look here?

ScottishSteve 17-06-2021 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36083623)
We have been looking up to get an idea on where Virgin Media UK is getting Al Jazeera English World satellite feed from:

Intelsat 34 - Brazil
Thor 5 - Norway
Intelsat 20 - carries 24 C-band, 54 Ku-band and 1 Ka-band transponders. The C-band covers the Asia-Pacific region, while the Ku-band transponders is used for Direct to Home broadcasting to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
Hot Bird 13C - Asia, Europe, Americas, North Africa and the Middle East,

18:55 UPDATE: So if Virgin Media UK is not using the Sky feed (Astra 2G) it look like the feed is coming from Hot Bird 13C as Al Jazeera Arabic Channel is only on Hot Bird 13C in this part of the World.

https://sat.aljazeera.net/en/frequen...ch/201/217,4,5

Virgin could easily be getting it from Thor 5 as that position historically has had feeds to cable networks and the footprint does cover the UK, or indeed it could be line fed over networks like some other services.

http://www.telenorsat.com/satellite-fleet/thor-5-t2/

Media Boy UK 17-06-2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36083661)
Virgin could easily be getting it from Thor 5 as that position historically has had feeds to cable networks and the footprint does cover the UK, or indeed it could be line fed over networks like some other services.

http://www.telenorsat.com/satellite-fleet/thor-5-t2/

I can reveal that TiVo has confirm that Al Jazeera English is broadcasting right now as an HD Channel on an SD Channel stream on (SID 701) C001.

Al Jazeera English (SID 701) https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en
Blaze (SID 702) https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en

If the Audio is:
1) AC3 = HD Channel
2) MPG Encrypted = SD Channel

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Also Steve Virgin Media also carry Al Jazeera Arabic Channel (Channel 831) but that channel is not on Thor 5 satellite.

epsilon 17-06-2021 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36083671)
I can reveal that TiVo has confirm that Al Jazeera English is broadcasting right now as an HD Channel on an SD Channel stream on (SID 701) C001.

Al Jazeera English (SID 701) https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en
Blaze (SID 702) https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en

If the Audio is:
1) AC3 = HD Channel
2) MPG Encrypted = SD Channel

AC3 is Dolby Digital sound which doesn't necessarily mean that the video resolution is HD.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Isn't Al Jazeera's UK playout from its London studios at the Shard?

Media Boy UK 17-06-2021 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36083705)
AC3 is Dolby Digital sound which doesn't necessarily mean that the video resolution is HD.

At time of posting my TiVo says that BBC One Scotland HD and Al Jazeera English are both runnng with AC3 Audio.

And both Al Jazeera Arabic Channel and Sky Witness SD Audio is MPEG1.

Itshim 17-06-2021 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083578)
That makes no sense as it wasn't posed as a question, but was you simply saying that those who don't use cable services shouldn't be using CF.

As I recall, Paul made it clear to you that everyone was welcome to post on this site whether they were a cable user or not and told you to stop saying this as you had said it previously.

...yet you chose to say it again at 18:50 yesterday to Legendkiller2K who provides very useful information to this forum. I'll leave it for others to draw their own conclusions as to who the troll stirring things up is in this particular situation.

Richard l do not care less if people post on sites they have no connection with. The question was why would they ? I can say that some people made contact not with me but with my friend . In your case why do you stay with virgin is a unfadable question. But its your choice. As your life is clearly so sad, lwish you well ,in finding the help you and some others clearly need. Just remember lincolns famous quote:D

RichardCoulter 17-06-2021 23:00

Your behaviour on here suggests it's you that has a sad life and needs help as opposed to anybody else that I can think of.

Now troll off.

saabmania2 20-06-2021 13:22

Wonder if we are going to get any new channels this year to replace the load we seem to have lost, VM seems to be getting worse value these days

ScottishSteve 20-06-2021 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by saabmania2 (Post 36083932)
Wonder if we are going to get any new channels this year to replace the load we seem to have lost, VM seems to be getting worse value these days

It is the inevitable downward spiral, these channels are not just being dropped from VM they are closing entirely in favour of streaming services (mostly)

Totally outwith Virgins control

RichardCoulter 21-06-2021 05:59

You're both correct IMO. As channels leave and VM increase prices, it provides less and less value.

The fact that it is outside the control of VM is true, but neither here nor there. They should be taking proactive action to mitigate this

Sky have done this by adding the streamers to their platform in order to add back (or even enhance) the lost content from removed linear channels. By working with the streamers instead of pretending that they don't exist, they are able to offer them at a discounted price or even for free.

ozsat 21-06-2021 06:22

The additional stream services Sky have been adding are with a limited period of free access.

Discovery+ reverts to normal charge after into offer.

Many Sky users were upset when they found you could subscribe to Disney+ cheaper by going direct to Disney+.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083951)
You're both correct IMO. As channels leave and VM increase prices, it provides less and less value.

The fact that it is outside the control of VM is true, but neither here nor there. They should be taking proactive action to mitigate this

Sky have done this by adding the streamers to their platform in order to add back (or even enhance) the lost content from removed linear channels. By working with the streamers instead of pretending that they don't exist, they are able to offer them at a discounted price or even for free.

1701-e 21-06-2021 08:29

Quote:

When Netflix was added to the TiVo I got it for 6 months free so Virgin have been doing this way before sky.

Hugh 21-06-2021 10:16

Quote:

Any evidence to back up this accusation, Richard?

OLD BOY 21-06-2021 10:21

I think Virgin will have to accept at some point that it cannot continue to charge for fewer and fewer channels. Sooner or later, the charge will need to be for packages of streamers instead. How exactly the financing of such an arrangement would work will be interesting.

cheekyangus 21-06-2021 10:37

The added streamers aren't automatically added to customer's subscribed packs. One didn't compensate for the other.

Having the app available doesn't give the TV provider any of the customer's streamer subscription money unless they go through that TV provider.

Many people will have existing Netflix or Spotify, etc, accounts that they are paying directly to the streamer and simply logging in. The likes of Sky and VM aren't automatically getting a share as soon as you log in to that existing account on that device.

I'm not expecting to get a Disney+ sub automatically included on my package as a result of the loss of FOX and (later) the Nat Geos. That would be "adding back lost content", just adding an app without the access to use it on an ongoing basis, isn't adding content, it's adding a non-interactive pretty picture on the TV screen.

Adding an app is just a tile on an electronic mosiac if no subscription is included.

jfman 21-06-2021 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083959)
I think Virgin will have to accept at some point that it cannot continue to charge for fewer and fewer channels. Sooner or later, the charge will need to be for packages of streamers instead. How exactly the financing of such an arrangement would work will be interesting.

Why not?

They're not saving a fortune from the channels that are leaving. Often it's genuinely in the order of pennies per subscriber per month.

Customers aren't going to leave Virgin in a hurry, losing bundle discounts, to buy a basket of two or three £5-15 a month streaming services.

All that's likely to happen is that the same users end up paying more for a standalone broadband service.

If I were to move to a standalone broadband product I'd have about £12 and lose all the channels in Maxit (inc. BT Sport) in the process.

heavyside 21-06-2021 11:49

I believe Virgin Media is currently conducting a trial to bring most of the streaming services together and available to subscribers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html

RichardCoulter 21-06-2021 12:28

That looks like the IPTV service for BB only customers that's being trialled.

Whether this is an attempt to upsell TV to BB only customers or if they are testing the water to see if they can eventually get rid of traditional TV and provide phone & TV via a BB only service remains to be seen.

OLD BOY 21-06-2021 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36083960)
The added streamers aren't automatically added to customer's subscribed packs. One didn't compensate for the other.

Having the app available doesn't give the TV provider any of the customer's streamer subscription money unless they go through that TV provider.

Many people will have existing Netflix or Spotify, etc, accounts that they are paying directly to the streamer and simply logging in. The likes of Sky and VM aren't automatically getting a share as soon as you log in to that existing account on that device.

I'm not expecting to get a Disney+ sub automatically included on my package as a result of the loss of FOX and (later) the Nat Geos. That would be "adding back lost content", just adding an app without the access to use it on an ongoing basis, isn't adding content, it's adding a non-interactive pretty picture on the TV screen.

Adding an app is just a tile on an electronic mosiac if no subscription is included.

That’s why I said it would be interesting. A way will need to be found of monetising the new TV environment that is emerging, otherwise the TV side of Virgin’s business will no longer be profitable.

Perhaps they should buy ITV and take some income that way!

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36083961)
Why not?

They're not saving a fortune from the channels that are leaving. Often it's genuinely in the order of pennies per subscriber per month.

Customers aren't going to leave Virgin in a hurry, losing bundle discounts, to buy a basket of two or three £5-15 a month streaming services.

All that's likely to happen is that the same users end up paying more for a standalone broadband service.

If I were to move to a standalone broadband product I'd have about £12 and lose all the channels in Maxit (inc. BT Sport) in the process.

I cannot see subscribers being prepared to pay for the small number of pay tv channels that will be left if the current trend of diverting content to streamers and closing down channels continues apace, can you?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36083964)
I believe Virgin Media is currently conducting a trial to bring most of the streaming services together and available to subscribers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html

This may be offered to broadband-only customers in the first instance, but I can see Virgin developing this concept and offering it to existing TV customers in the future.

jfman 21-06-2021 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083968)
I cannot see subscribers being prepared to pay for the small number of pay tv channels that will be left if the current trend of diverting content to streamers and closing down channels continues apace, can you?

Ignoring your big "if" statements, why would viewers not stay (and same applies to Sky)?

You're making the assumption that Sky or Virgin cannot deliver value and that only streamers can based on nothing at all. These bundles of streaming services end up more expensive than the vast majority are paying in triple play/quad play bundles with Sky or Virgin. Plus you ignore the fact that general entertainment doesn't draw in numbers the same way as exclusive live sports.

Viewers stayed with Virgin throughout the Sky basics dispute. There's nothing to indicate minority interest content is more damaging than that and not readily replaceable.

cheekyangus 21-06-2021 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083968)
That’s why I said it would be interesting. A way will need to be found of monetising the new TV environment that is emerging, otherwise the TV side of Virgin’s business will no longer be profitable.

Perhaps they should buy ITV and take some income that way!

OB I wasn't addressing your post. I hadn't seen it. My post was so long and took so long to compose that your post didn't appear until after I pressed to post mine.

heavyside 21-06-2021 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083967)
That looks like the IPTV service for BB only customers that's being trialled.

Whether this is an attempt to upsell TV to BB only customers or if they are testing the water to see if they can eventually get rid of traditional TV and provide phone & TV via a BB only service remains to be seen.

I can't imagine that if Virgin Media succeeds in negotiating a comprehensive 'all in' bundle with streamers that it will only be offered to broadband subscribers.

RichardCoulter 21-06-2021 15:33

I hope not.

BenMcr 21-06-2021 15:41

Virgin TV 360 requires Virgin Fibre, so the customer base for any IP only TV wouldn't be much different from the current TV service, so I'd hope that any content agreements are roughly similar.

RichardCoulter 21-06-2021 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36083983)
Virgin TV 360 requires Virgin Fibre, so the customer base for any IP only TV wouldn't be much different from the current TV service, so I'd hope that any content agreements are roughly similar.

Do you know if sending the TV service via IPTV uses less bandwidth than the current way? If so, VM could reassign the TV allocation to BB to increase their capacity for it.

BenMcr 21-06-2021 15:49

Even it did, it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

There are literally millions of co-ax connected Virgin TV STBs installed in the UK.

Media Boy UK 21-06-2021 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36081904)
New Channels set to launch on Virgin Media UK in June.

June 8th: Colors Gujurati will launch on Virgin UK Channel 825.
June 27th: BBC Red Button HD will launch on Virgin UK Channel 990*.
June 27th: BBC Red Button 2 will launch on Virgin UK Channel 992*.
June 27th: BBC Red Button 3 will launch on Virgin UK Channel 993*.
June 27th: BBC Red Button 4 will launch on Virgin UK Channel 994*.
June 27th: BBC Red Button 5 will launch on Virgin UK Channel 995*.
June 27th: BBC Red Button 6 will launch on Virgin UK Channel 996*.

*BBC Red Button Channels numbers still to be confirmed at time of posting.

July 12th: BBC Red Button HD will close on Virgin UK Channel 990*.
July 12th: BBC Red Button 2 will close on Virgin UK Channel 992*.
July 12th: BBC Red Button 3 will close on Virgin UK Channel 993*.
July 12th: BBC Red Button 4 will close on Virgin UK Channel 994*.
July 12th: BBC Red Button 5 will close on Virgin UK Channel 995*.
July 12th: BBC Red Button 6 will close on Virgin UK Channel 996*.

*BBC Red Button Channels numbers still to be confirmed at time of posting.

UPDATE:

Look like when BBC Red Button HD Channel when it launches by Friday will be an UK wide 24 hour channel (and not CBBC HD stream as years before) base on Digital Bit Rate info. https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en

Also TiVo listing has been updated for the FOX Channels to now say that both FOX and FOX HD will close at Midnight on Jume 30th.

FOX +1 will now close at 1am on June 30th (early July 1st).

RichardCoulter 21-06-2021 16:02

Looks like the Discovery channels are being removed from Now TV:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Enter...el/td-p/561462

I wonder if Sky & VM will be losing them when the carriage contracts expire? Anybody know when this is?

It may just be that they want their channels off another streaming service competing for customers, but the long term plan is for Discovery to retain just one linear channel to showcase their online content. No idea if this includes their ad reliant FTA channels.

OLD BOY 21-06-2021 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36083971)
Ignoring your big "if" statements, why would viewers not stay (and same applies to Sky)?

You're making the assumption that Sky or Virgin cannot deliver value and that only streamers can based on nothing at all. These bundles of streaming services end up more expensive than the vast majority are paying in triple play/quad play bundles with Sky or Virgin. Plus you ignore the fact that general entertainment doesn't draw in numbers the same way as exclusive live sports.

Viewers stayed with Virgin throughout the Sky basics dispute. There's nothing to indicate minority interest content is more damaging than that and not readily replaceable.

I'm not sure you are joining the dots. If the number of pay-tv channels reduced substantially due to the DTC trend, would you be prepared to pay the same as now for what was left?

The only way I can see of VM being able to compensate is to offer all the streamers and integrate them as much as possible to the VM system, allowing customers easier access to what they want to see.

So if, yes if, there was a substantial reduction of TV channels, in line with the new developing trend, what do you think would happen?

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36083972)
OB I wasn't addressing your post. I hadn't seen it. My post was so long and took so long to compose that your post didn't appear until after I pressed to post mine.

No worries, cheekyangus. Your points were perfectly valid.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36083989)
Looks like the Discovery channels are being removed from Now TV:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Enter...el/td-p/561462

I wonder if Sky & VM will be losing them when the carriage contracts expire? Anybody know when this is?

It may just be that they want their channels off another streaming service competing for customers, but the long term plan is for Discovery to retain just one linear channel to showcase their online content. No idea if this includes their ad reliant FTA channels.

The loss of channels is accelerating, it seems. I believe I read that Discovery stated that they would still have a linear presence in the future. It will be interesting to see what form that takes. We could end up with simply a Discovery showcase channel.

jfman 21-06-2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36083993)
I'm not sure you are joining the dots. If the number of pay-tv channels reduced substantially due to the DTC trend, would you be prepared to pay the same as now for what was left?

That would depend on what (if any) alternative content is made available and what the alternative product mix is in the marketplace at similar price point.

The average consumer doesn’t have unlimited disposable income, and has a massive range of competing interests.

Is anyone else offering BT Sport for example - Sky it’s £25 a month. On BT it’s £15 a month. My marginal cost of Maxit above a standalone broadband package is less than this and nobody else can match Virgin’s speeds in my area.

Quote:

The only way I can see of VM being able to compensate is to offer all the streamers and integrate them as much as possible to the VM system, allowing customers easier access to what they want to see.

So if, yes if, there was a substantial reduction of TV channels, in line with the new developing trend, what do you think would happen?
Ultimately costs are being driven up for end users across the board making a less attractive Sky/Virgin offering paradoxically more attractive relative to the rest of the market. Far from the new “low cost” future previously prophesied we are being asked to spend £5 here and £10 there for largely interchangeable minority interest “General Entertainment”.

The savings aren’t there for Virgin to significantly reduce the costs their service so likely they’ll just keep increasing the cost of broadband - ultimately for many users they don’t have a choice of a competing FTTP offering.

For Sky they can do the same on the basis of their exclusive content - in particular sports.

OLD BOY 21-06-2021 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36083996)
That would depend on what (if any) alternative content is made available and what the alternative product mix is in the marketplace at similar price point.

The average consumer doesn’t have unlimited disposable income, and has a massive range of competing interests.

Is anyone else offering BT Sport for example - Sky it’s £25 a month. On BT it’s £15 a month. My marginal cost of Maxit above a standalone broadband package is less than this and nobody else can match Virgin’s speeds in my area.

Well, that doesn’t really help, jfman. Where is this alternative content of which you speak? The only half-decent channel we don’t have now is Sky Atlantic. And even that channel won’t have HBO content for much longer. I can’t see that contract being renewed soon, can you?

Sky is now in the fortunate position of having been taken over by Comcast, which will certainly help them. Maybe Liberty Global should think about taking over one of these American content providers and also to start commissioning original content of its own to help fill the gap.

Not many of us have unlimited disposable income, I agree, and they certainly wouldn’t want to waste it by paying out for fewer, lower quality channels.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36083996)

Ultimately costs are being driven up for end users across the board making a less attractive Sky/Virgin offering paradoxically more attractive relative to the rest of the market. Far from the new “low cost” future previously prophesied we are being asked to spend £5 here and £10 there for largely interchangeable minority interest “General Entertainment”.

The savings aren’t there for Virgin to significantly reduce the costs their service so likely they’ll just keep increasing the cost of broadband - ultimately for many users they don’t have a choice of a competing FTTP offering.

For Sky they can do the same on the basis of their exclusive content - in particular sports.

There are many Virgin subscribers who are not fussed at all about sport, so I’d hardly call general entertainment a minority interest.

I stick by my previous assertions that the streamers are much better value for money for non-sports content. The streamers are not requiring you to enter into a contract lasting more than a month, and so you can swap between them if money is a problem. You don’t need to subscribe to them all at once. And the quality and volume of content is far better than any TV channel can offer, or even all of them put together.

I agree that if you are a generalist sports watcher, streaming can be very expensive, but those who are interested in only one sport (eg football) can find savings by not subscribing off-season.

RichardCoulter 21-06-2021 20:18

Apparently, those who call to cancel off season are immediately offered a good retention deal over the summer.

Worth doing even if those into football have no intention of cancelling to help keep down the expensive cost of sport.

jfman 21-06-2021 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084000)
Well, that doesn’t really help, jfman. Where is this alternative content of which you speak? The only half-decent channel we don’t have now is Sky Atlantic. And even that channel won’t have HBO content for much longer. I can’t see that contract being renewed soon, can you?

There’s plenty English language television OB.

Discovery don’t have a monopoly on documentaries, Disney don’t have a monopoly on cartoons or regurgitated comic book fantasy films. General entertainment is ten a penny from a range of potential content providers on both sides of the pond.

Quote:

Sky is now in the fortunate position of having been taken over by Comcast, which will certainly help them. Maybe Liberty Global should think about taking over one of these American content providers and also to start commissioning original content of its own to help fill the gap.
Or they could just buy content from Sky?

Quote:

Not many of us have unlimited disposable income, I agree, and they certainly wouldn’t want to waste it by paying out for fewer, lower quality channels.
I couldn’t have put it better myself - why would anyone want to pigeon hole the content they see to that of one or two streaming services at £5/10 a month when you can get the depth and breadth of content from Sky or Virgin.

Quote:

There are many Virgin subscribers who are not fussed at all about sport, so I’d hardly call general entertainment a minority interest.
Minority interest channels scoring 0.1-1.0 are everywhere on the BARB ratings getting pennies in the pound wholesale. They all sound pretty interchangeable to me. Discovery Shed? Or will I just YouTube some DIY videos for half an hour to waste my day away?

Quote:

I stick by my previous assertions that the streamers are much better value for money for non-sports content. The streamers are not requiring you to enter into a contract lasting more than a month, and so you can swap between them if money is a problem. You don’t need to subscribe to them all at once. And the quality and volume of content is far better than any TV channel can offer, or even all of them put together.

I agree that if you are a generalist sports watcher, streaming can be very expensive, but those who are interested in only one sport (eg football) can find savings by not subscribing off-season.
Streamers may be better value in a narrow subset of circumstances. However for the vast majority of “general entertainment” viewers they are simply spreading out the content and driving up costs.

Very few sports fans are interested in “one sport” and one only.

cheekyangus 22-06-2021 10:24

Two BBC apps for TVs have had features added.

BBC Sounds (TV App) now has a Podcasts section. The last addition was a Music section. When it the TV App launched it was Home/My Sounds/Search/Settings to my recollection.

BBC iPlayer (TV App) now has restored a feature lost in the last big refresh. The have re-added a written description of the programme/episode. There's a little "Info" label underneath the progress bar with a "V" downward arrow symbol, which indicates that if you press the down arrow on your remote control it will show the description. Interestingly the description seems to stay on screen until you actively press a button to get rid of it. Up and down buttons on the remote do this, that I've tried, maybe other buttons have the same effect.

Note: These changes have been found on the Virgin Media V6 box versions of the TV Apps, I don't know if the features have been rolled out to all VM households (I received the update early previously) or other TV App platforms.

OLD BOY 22-06-2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36084007)
There’s plenty English language television OB.

Discovery don’t have a monopoly on documentaries, Disney don’t have a monopoly on cartoons or regurgitated comic book fantasy films. General entertainment is ten a penny from a range of potential content providers on both sides of the pond.

There may be plenty of channels, jfman, but they are not the same quality. I think you are thinking quantity instead of quality.

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:

I couldn’t have put it better myself - why would anyone want to pigeon hole the content they see to that of one or two streaming services at £5/10 a month when you can get the depth and breadth of content from Sky or Virgin.

I nearly spat out my coffee - I had to try to hold it in and it went up my nose - that really stung!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that, jfman. What I know is that my watchlists for TV channels have been diminishing for the last couple of years but those for Netflix and Amazon are increasing substantially. There’s not that much left on TV channels anymore, and many of our friends have noticed this too. All I can say is that you must be very easily pleased.

jfman 22-06-2021 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084046)
There may be plenty of channels, jfman, but they are not the same quality. I think you are thinking quantity instead of quality.

And who defines quality?

As far as I can tell if you are acting as the arbiter of such matters it’s not the content but the delivery method that is the deciding factor.

Indeed, it is you who have pushed quantity over quality by persistently emphasising a reduction in the “number of channels” provided by Sky/Virgin.

I suspect like most I don’t watch the vast majority of it - certainly the ratings don’t support that there’s many compelling channels in there and there’s nothing at all to indicate the vast majority of it isn’t interchangeable.

Quote:

I nearly spat out my coffee - I had to try to hold it in and it went up my nose - that really stung!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that, jfman. What I know is that my watchlists for TV channels have been diminishing for the last couple of years but those for Netflix and Amazon are increasing substantially. There’s not that much left on TV channels anymore, and many of our friends have noticed this too. All I can say is that you must be very easily pleased.
Hate to do it (again) but despite this you continue to subscribe.

OLD BOY 22-06-2021 14:48

Quote:

Minority interest channels scoring 0.1-1.0 are everywhere on the BARB ratings getting pennies in the pound wholesale. They all sound pretty interchangeable to me. Discovery Shed? Or will I just YouTube some DIY videos for half an hour to waste my day away?

Streamers may be better value in a narrow subset of circumstances. However for the vast majority of “general entertainment” viewers they are simply spreading out the content and driving up costs.

Very few sports fans are interested in “one sport” and one only.

Wasting the day away is certainly what watching your so-called minority channels would be.

Streamers are providing mind-blowing amounts of content - much better quality than on our traditional channels. However, I agree that sports fans are getting a raw deal at present.

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36084048)
Hate to do it (again) but despite this you continue to subscribe.

In case you have forgotten, that has been answered many times now and I won’t be repeating myself as it’s getting boring now.

jfman 22-06-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084049)
Wasting the day away is certainly what watching your so-called minority channels would be.

Streamers are providing mind-blowing amounts of content - much better quality than on our traditional channels. However, I agree that sports fans are getting a raw deal at present.

“Mind blowing amounts of content” is once again a reference to quantity over quality. Whether the quality is much better is entirely subjective. Is the content on Discovery Plus substantially better than the minority interest content they’ve peddled for the last two decades integrated into packages?

Quote:

In case you have forgotten, that has been answered many times now and I won’t be repeating myself as it’s getting boring now.
Unfortunately OB you embody the problem your vision faces - namely that it’s very easy for existing incumbents to retain their customer base because there are very few like for like products in the marketplace offering the same or greater value.

Where/when do you envisage dropping them? Have you priced up alternatives?

1andrew1 22-06-2021 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084049)
However, I agree that sports fans are getting a raw deal at present.

I don't see streaming altering that, unfortunately. It's due to the costs of unique content acquisition, not the costs of satellite or cable distribution.

OLD BOY 22-06-2021 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36084067)
“Mind blowing amounts of content” is once again a reference to quantity over quality. Whether the quality is much better is entirely subjective. Is the content on Discovery Plus substantially better than the minority interest content they’ve peddled for the last two decades integrated into packages?

Where/when do you envisage dropping them? Have you priced up alternatives?

That doesn’t really stand up jfman, as I did say the content was much better quality.

As far as my own requirements are concerned, I am certainly just about able to get the programming I need online only, although the advertising on UKTV Play is an annoying obstacle. My problem is that I need to be able to keep things easy for my wife, who really cannot get her head round accessing all the different streamers. This, of course, is why I need everything on one box. One watchlist - simples.

If the new arrangements Virgin is introducing for broadband only customers carry all the main streamers including Discovery+, this might provide the solution I am looking for. The resistance of Netflix to integration is problematical though, so I hope they relent on that soon.

jfman 22-06-2021 17:13

So streamers need to make their content more widely available, on competitors hardware and without adverts where these exist in their business model.

I’m sure you can appreciate why I think Sky/Virgin aren’t dead just yet.

If someone with your foresight into this rich and diverse future isn’t in a position to cut the cord just yet I’m not sure at what point your average, lazy television viewer crosses the threshold.

1andrew1 22-06-2021 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084076)
That doesn’t really stand up jfman, as I did say the content was much better quality.

As far as my own requirements are concerned, I am certainly just about able to get the programming I need online only, although the advertising on UKTV Play is an annoying obstacle. My problem is that I need to be able to keep things easy for my wife, who really cannot get her head round accessing all the different streamers. This, of course, is why I need everything on one box. One watchlist - simples.

If the new arrangements Virgin is introducing for broadband only customers carry all the main streamers including Discovery+, this might provide the solution I am looking for. The resistance of Netflix to integration is problematical though, so I hope they relent on that soon.

Great as it would be to have all the streamers on one searchable and bookmarkable/watchlist platform, this goes against the commercial benefits for the streamers of keeping viewers within their own apps.

OLD BOY 22-06-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36084082)
So streamers need to make their content more widely available, on competitors hardware and without adverts where these exist in their business model.

I’m sure you can appreciate why I think Sky/Virgin aren’t dead just yet.

If someone with your foresight into this rich and diverse future isn’t in a position to cut the cord just yet I’m not sure at what point your average, lazy television viewer crosses the threshold.

Well, if they want to maximise their audience, yes. They have to make access available to as many people as possible, so the more platforms their streamers are on, the better.

I haven't ever said that Virgin or Sky were in danger of dying, but I have claimed they will need to adapt.

The streamers need to chase the lazy viewers. That's why Netflix have adapted their streamer to play random stuff continuously. Switch on, chill out.

jfman 22-06-2021 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084090)
Well, if they want to maximise their audience, yes. They have to make access available to as many people as possible, so the more platforms their streamers are on, the better.

You are incorrectly assumed they want to maximise their audience.

While there will be competing strategies essentially they want to maximise their profits, some may sacrifice this in the short term for market share. However audience (viewership) clearly isn’t what they are aiming for by withdrawing their content from the most popular platforms.

Quote:

I haven't ever said that Virgin or Sky were in danger of dying, but I have claimed they will need to adapt.
Both actively stream and deliver linear content - I genuinely don’t know what you expect from them. If third parties want to go down the direct to consumer route there’s nothing they can realistically do.

Quote:

The streamers need to chase the lazy viewers. That's why Netflix have adapted their streamer to play random stuff continuously. Switch on, chill out.
Lazy subscribers too. As I said if you can’t bring yourself to cancel Virgin despite feeling so strongly about this I wonder how many of their 3 million, or the 8 million on Sky, you realistically expect to cut their noses off to spite their face when the vast majority are technology agnostic.

Hugh 22-06-2021 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084090)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36082142)
It’s a shame. I suppose that driving a hard bargain gets a better price for customers, or maybe simply a bigger profit for VM, but in the end, it looks like the ambition to be a ‘super aggregator’ is a bit pie in the sky.

Sooner or later, there will be a better proposition that will benefit customers that will neatly contain everything integrated in one box, including terrestrial and Sky. That will see VM dead in the water.

The opportunity is there I think for Sky to seize. If it does so, they will get my custom, that is for sure. They are almost there, actually.

A great pity, and a wasted opportunity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36082149)
Virgin could succeed in my opinion, but it is looking to me now that it is unlikely, because of their attitude. They just don’t have the passion for it.

RichardCoulter 22-06-2021 20:32

A channel in the entertainment genre called That's TV Gold is to start on Sky & Freeview.

Does anyone know if it will be coming to VM?

ScottishSteve 22-06-2021 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36084101)
A channel in the entertainment genre called That's TV Gold is to start on Sky & Freeview.

Does anyone know if it will be coming to VM?

Probably not, as I’m sure none of the That’s network channels are carried on Virgin but they are on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ThatsTVGold

If their existing programme is a guide of quality then I don’t think we will be missing much.

RichardCoulter 23-06-2021 01:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36084108)
Probably not, as I’m sure none of the That’s network channels are carried on Virgin but they are on Twitter

If their existing programme is a guide of quality then I don’t think we will be missing much.

At first it was thought that it would be showing retro music, but if that was the case it would be in the music section on Sky, as opposed to entertainment.

I'm wondering if it will show archive programming like Forces TV & Talking Pictures.

savvychels 23-06-2021 04:44

Just catching up and have only just seen that Fox is closing in a few days. We have a season of NCIS and of NCIS New Orleans recorded. Are we going to lose access to those recordings when Fox closes?

Going back a long way (maybe early Tivo days) I remember losing recordings when channels moved to a different number, so I’ve only just realised we may lose these. I don’t think there’s any way we can watch before it closes.

If someone could confirm though, I’d appreciate it, one way or the other.

Thanks

ozsat 23-06-2021 05:22

It may be the version added to 'Vision' last month.

That is a mix of 'The Jewellery Channel' and old music video slots.

Local areas opt-out of that for just 10 minutes a day at 6pm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36084112)
At first it was thought that it would be showing retro music, but if that was the case it would be in the music section on Sky, as opposed to entertainment.

I'm wondering if it will show archive programming like Forces TV & Talking Pictures.

RichardCoulter 23-06-2021 05:50

I did think it could be that, but I don't think that if it was this it would qualify for a Sky Entertainment EPG slot. It would probably go into the music or shopping genre.

---------- Post added at 05:50 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvychels (Post 36084114)
Just catching up and have only just seen that Fox is closing in a few days. We have a season of NCIS and of NCIS New Orleans recorded. Are we going to lose access to those recordings when Fox closes?

Going back a long way (maybe early Tivo days) I remember losing recordings when channels moved to a different number, so I’ve only just realised we may lose these. I don’t think there’s any way we can watch before it closes.

If someone could confirm though, I’d appreciate it, one way or the other.

Thanks

From what I remember VM usually give you three months.

Media Boy UK 23-06-2021 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36084108)

Base on listing (Maybe out of date) posted on Media Boy UK Blog.

Virgin Media UK do carry FOUR of the "That's Network channels" in some areas of England and Wales:

-That's TV East (In Norwich areas only).
-That's TV Cambridge (In Cambridge areas only).
-That's TV South Wales (In Swansea areas only).
-That's TV Humber (In Grimsby areas only).

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/p/...el-lineup.html

ScottishSteve 23-06-2021 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36084138)
Base on listing (Maybe out of date) posted on Media Boy UK Blog.

Virgin Media UK do carry FOUR of the "That's Network channels" in some areas of England and Wales:

-That's TV East (In Norwich areas only).
-That's TV Cambridge (In Cambridge areas only).
-That's TV South Wales (In Swansea areas only).
-That's TV Humber (In Grimsby areas only).

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/p/...el-lineup.html

I believe these 4 only appear as they were franchises that were taken over by ‘That’s’ and they have just continued since.

savvychels 23-06-2021 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36084117)
I did think it could be that, but I don't think that if it was this it would qualify for a Sky Entertainment EPG slot. It would probably go into the music or shopping genre.

---------- Post added at 05:50 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

From what I remember VM usually give you three months.

Thanks. Hubby and I better get watching then :shocked:

RichardCoulter 23-06-2021 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvychels (Post 36084182)
Thanks. Hubby and I better get watching then :shocked:

Yeah, I've been caught out by this too :D

Apparently, the STB can't play back recordings for a channel that's no longer listed. What they do as a workaround is to keep it listed (but off the public facing EPG) for a time to give people chance to watch any outstanding recordings.

Media Boy UK 25-06-2021 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36079787)
Another one bites the dust as Broadcast is reporting that Disney will close the FOX linear channel in the UK and programmes will move to Star on Disney Plus

‘On 30 June the Fox channel in the UK will close. Many titles will become available on Star on Disney+ and will be announced in the near future. We appreciate the support of our UK fans and can’t wait to keep sharing the best stories with you.’

This leaves the Nat Geo channels the last Disney owned/operated linear channels in the UK

Also Baby TV.

OLD BOY 25-06-2021 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36084324)
Also Baby TV.

Should babies be worried? Maybe they should organise a march?

cheekyangus 25-06-2021 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36084324)
Also Baby TV.

I saw Sky promoting Baby TV on social media the other week. Strange to promote something that's likely on the way out.

Media Boy UK 25-06-2021 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36084327)
I saw Sky promoting Baby TV on social media the other week. Strange to promote something that's likely on the way out.

I have seen nothing on Baby TV closing but I was only posting that after July 1st only Nat Geo channels and Baby TV will be the last Disney owned/operated linear channels in the UK.

1andrew1 26-06-2021 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36084327)

I don't think it's on Disney +. I wonder if Disney might sell the channel on? I believe it's a stand-alone London-based business that expanded globally under Fox's ownership.

carravetta 27-06-2021 09:10

Sky News Weather HD is currently testing on Sky

RichardCoulter 27-06-2021 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by carravetta (Post 36084524)
Sky News Weather HD is currently testing on Sky

Interesting. There was The Weather Channel back in the 90's, but it was closed down in the UK.

ozsat 27-06-2021 10:12

In the UK there was a Weather Channel and a Weather Network - both didn't last long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36084527)
Interesting. Their was The Weather Channel back in the 90's, but it was closed down in the UK.

cheekyangus 27-06-2021 10:34

I remember seeing headlines a few years ago that said the American Weather Channel had started showing movies! So they went from a real forecast to Twister!

RichardCoulter 27-06-2021 11:13

Sounds like it has a record of not being a very sustainable business model, so i'm surprised that Sky would do this.

Perhaps they are trying to improve their channel count to replace the channels that have left/are leaving without cannibalising their existing channels??

Aguero9320 28-06-2021 21:25

I tried to access FOX’s website today. All you get is a notice advertising the channel’s imminent closure and a large advert for Disney+

https://www.foxtv.co.uk/

vincerooney 28-06-2021 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36084722)
I tried to access FOX’s website today. All you get is a notice advertising the channel’s imminent closure and a large advert for Disney+

very strange decision as i'm fairly sure a few of these tv shows are locked into amazon prime so unless their contracts are ending the 30th June fox viewers wont be able to carry on watching it on disney plus

Just on the front page of fox alone they mention these shows:

The mentalist- Not on disney plus
Gang related- not on disney plus
American Dad- On disney plus
Family guy- on disney plus
The walking dead- not on disney plus
NCIS- not on disney plus (on amazon prime)
Bull- not on disney plus
NCIS New Orleans (not on disney plus)

muppetman11 28-06-2021 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36084722)

Been known for a while so hardly a surprise.

Aguero9320 29-06-2021 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36084726)
very strange decision as i'm fairly sure a few of these tv shows are locked into amazon prime so unless their contracts are ending the 30th June fox viewers wont be able to carry on watching it on disney plus

Just on the front page of fox alone they mention these shows:

The mentalist- Not on disney plus
Gang related- not on disney plus
American Dad- On disney plus
Family guy- on disney plus
The walking dead- not on disney plus
NCIS- not on disney plus (on amazon prime)
Bull- not on disney plus
NCIS New Orleans (not on disney plus)

The Walking Dead s1-10 arrives on Disney+ this Friday. Season 11 will arrive every Monday as a Disney+ exclusive from 23rd August.