Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705369)

TheDaddy 29-11-2017 07:23

Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35926765)
Just out of interest, a Twitter poll has been conducted by on what people think of the Brexit bill agreed in principle tonight...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/at...1&d=1511907719

52% Think it's too much, no deal.
48% Think it's worth it to keep Access to EU trade.

Exact same percentages as the EU Referendum result itself.

Sample size is over 3,000. votes.

And yes I voted it's too much, we are bending over backwards with that bill, we need to haggle the costs down better.

We are bending over on everything by the look of it. The final deal is going to be interesting, a massive bill and leaving in name only with no say or veto over the direction we get dragged along in, no one going home, the EU still holding sway over our courts, put like that I think we should really explore what leaving without a deal would look like.

ianch99 29-11-2017 08:50

Forget the rest, Viz is your go to news site!

Quote:

From Viz 258, Summer 2016. And that's supposed to be Theresa May on the right.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/11/19.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35926765)
Just out of interest, a Twitter poll has been conducted by on what people think of the Brexit bill agreed in principle tonight...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/at...1&d=1511907719

52% Think it's too much, no deal.
48% Think it's worth it to keep Access to EU trade.

Exact same percentages as the EU Referendum result itself.

Sample size is over 3,000. votes.

And yes I voted it's too much, we are bending over backwards with that bill, we need to haggle the costs down better.

I thought polls were not your thing :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35911035)
What part of I don't accept nor do I trust opinion polls, do you not understand ?

Polls can be and have been wrong in recent times and completely off the mark.

They can also be manipulated to suit the pathetic liberal media.

heero_yuy 29-11-2017 09:02

It's only a notional bill, remember nothing's agreed until everything's agreed. No decent trade deal and the money's not payable.

Mick 29-11-2017 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35926789)

I thought polls were not your thing :)

You thought wrong. Nowhere did I say in that post above, that I agreed with the polls findings, read it again, I said it was ‘interesting’, that the current poll results matched the actual referendum results.

Mainly MSM polls I had problems with, you know the ones that said Crooked Hillary Clinton had 90% chance of becoming President on the US Election Day night, thank god they were monumentally wrong.

Osem 29-11-2017 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35926792)
It's only a notional bill, remember nothing's agreed until everything's agreed. No decent trade deal and the money's not payable.

Quite but we won't let that get in the way of the inevitable and ridiculous 'it's more than the £20bn they promised blah blah blah' argument some people will employ. Wasn't that long ago that some were whining on about being the final bill £100bn...

The way some people like to carry on anyone would think staying in the EU would be cost free and risk free but they don't ever seem to want to acknowledge the ongoing problems over there for some strange reason... :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35926769)
I certainly agree that we should pay for whatever we committed to pre brexit vote, IMHO that is the right thing to do. I would not agree to a penny extra if it were a punitive payment that the EU wished to extract.

:tu:

Mr K 29-11-2017 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35926800)
Quite but we won't let that get in the way of the inevitable and ridiculous 'it's more than the £20bn they promised blah blah blah' argument some people will employ. Wasn't that long ago that some were whining on about being the final bill £100bn...

The way some people like to carry on anyone would think staying in the EU would be cost free and risk free but they don't ever seem to want to acknowledge the ongoing problems over there for some strange reason... :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Is it me, or are the Brexit evangelists increasingly sounding like they are still trying to convince themselves that this is still a cool idea ??
The amount the govt have offered has suddenly increased by 150%, sounds like panic; the EU are calling the shots and we're jumping when told to their timescale.
Wasn't going to cost us anything according to some, in fact we'd have that £350m extra for the NHS each week and we'd all live happily ever after .... :rolleyes:

pip08456 29-11-2017 11:57

It's you!

daveeb 29-11-2017 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35926814)
Is it me, or are the Brexit evangelists increasingly sounding like they are still trying to convince themselves that this is still a cool idea ??
The amount the govt have offered has suddenly increased by 150%, sounds like panic; the EU are calling the shots and we're jumping when told to their timescale.
Wasn't going to cost us anything according to some, in fact we'd have that £350m extra for the NHS each week and we'd all live happily ever after .... :rolleyes:

No it's not you, and when was it ever a cool idea :shocked:

Mick 29-11-2017 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35926821)
It's you!

Yep, agreed, but watch his very ‘few’ remainer buddies on here come to say it’s not. :rolleyes:

I don’t know what this trying to convince ourselves is all about either. I am already convinced and have been for years, it is good for the country why we are leaving the failing project, the EU is already crumbling around us.

Osem 29-11-2017 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35926826)
Yep, agreed, but watch his very ‘few’ remainer buddies on here come to say it’s not. :rolleyes:

I don’t know what this trying to convince ourselves is all about either. I am already convinced and have been for years, it is good for the country why we are leaving the failing project, the EU is already crumbling around us.

Can you provide a link for that utterly unfounded assertion? You really can't be allowed to get away with baseless comments like that... :D

Damien 29-11-2017 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35926800)

£20 billion more is lot, twice as much in fact, so it's a valid complaint even if I think it's a pointless one. The gross figure is likely to be nearer £100 million but we'll actually pay half of that once it all works out.

Osem 29-11-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35926835)
£20 billion more is lot, twice as much in fact, so it's a valid complaint even if I think it's a pointless one. The gross figure is likely to be nearer £100 million but we'll actually pay half of that once it all works out.

I wasn't making a serious comment about the figure because of course it is pointless. I have no more idea what the final 'bill' will be than you do. I was merely making a point about what some people would be saying since this figure had been released and they rather like conflating campaign bus slogans with govt. spending pledges. ;)

Mr K 29-11-2017 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35926826)

If anything Mick it's the other way round, we're the ones in the slow lane, while the rest of the EU economies outpace us

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35926850)
I wasn't making a serious comment about the figure because of course it is pointless. I have no more idea what the final 'bill' will be than you do. I was merely making a point about what some people would be saying since this figure had been released and they rather like conflating campaign bus slogans with govt. spending pledges. ;)

Careful now, that eye will start swivelling ! It does seem to have come as shock to some Brexiters that it's going to cost big time. It's wake up time to Project Reality, the fairy story is over.

Carth 29-11-2017 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35926853)
It does seem to have come as shock to some Brexiters that it's going to cost big time. It's wake up time to Project Reality, the fairy story is over.

My God Mr K, you're managed to convince me this time. I have now stocked a small corner of my garage with essential items to see me through the darkest months of Brexit.
To protect my stash from the (soon to be) hordes of slightly miffed Southerners, I have fabricated a bow and some wonky arrows using branches from my apple tree. I fear the bow may not work as intended, but smearing brown boot polish beneath my eyes and affecting a look of sultry indifference may cause them to back off before nasty name calling ensues.

I also have a cunning plan to convert my hot water Immersion tank into a suit of body armour . . . if you hear nothing else from me, it means I probably forgot to disconnect the element from the electricity supply :dozey:

p.s. will Asda candles burn brighter than Tesco ones?

Osem 29-11-2017 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35926861)
My God Mr K, you're managed to convince me this time. I have now stocked a small corner of my garage with essential items to see me through the darkest months of Brexit.
To protect my stash from the (soon to be) hordes of slightly miffed Southerners, I have fabricated a bow and some wonky arrows using branches from my apple tree. I fear the bow may not work as intended, but smearing brown boot polish beneath my eyes and affecting a look of sultry indifference may cause them to back off before nasty name calling ensues.

I also have a cunning plan to convert my hot water Immersion tank into a suit of body armour . . . if you hear nothing else from me, it means I probably forgot to disconnect the element from the electricity supply :dozey:

p.s. will Asda candles burn brighter than Tesco ones?

:rofl:

I'm surprised so many of those who spend their days predicting doom are still here and haven't joined the mass exodus they've predicted from the UK to that veritable paradise (AKA the EU) before it's too late and we're cut off from civilisation forever... :shrug: :D