Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Britain outside the EU (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709659)

Sephiroth 20-02-2024 18:34

Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36170624)
Eh?

Are you trying to say that Danes think like Italians, and the Spanish think like Germans, and the Portuguese think like the Irish?

Really?

Paul 20-02-2024 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36170618)
I though we left the EU to improve the NHS. :confused:

We left becasue more people voted to leave than remain.
I seriously doubt they all had the same reason for doing so.

1andrew1 20-02-2024 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36170627)
We left becasue more people voted to leave than remain.
I seriously doubt they all had the same reason for doing so.

Spot on! I was being sarcastic in response to this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170615)
... and the EU Parliament is gagging for the ability to trump national parliaments. It's why we left the EU.

Of course, jonbxx was able to correct this statement.

Hugh 20-02-2024 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170625)
Really?

You said

Quote:

We look like them but don't think like them
implying there was "our way of thinking" and a homogeneous "their way of thinking".

And as for "we look like them", your subtext is fairly obvious…

Sephiroth 21-02-2024 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36170632)
You said

implying there was "our way of thinking" and a homogeneous "their way of thinking".

And as for "we look like them", your subtext is fairly obvious…

Whatever. A normal person would understand exactly what I said without this "subtext" nonsense.

1andrew1 21-02-2024 17:34

Bad news for British exporters to Canada. And bad news for Badenoch's reputation.
Quote:

Canada contradicts Kemi Badenoch's claim post-Brexit trade talks are 'ongoing'

Canada said no trade talks are in progress - despite Business Secretary Kemi Badenoch "explicitly" telling MPs discussions "have not broken down".

Asked in the Commons on 29 January how she plans to "avoid a UK tariff war", Ms Badenoch said she wanted to "state explicitly that talks have not broken down".

The business secretary said the two sides "have an ongoing rules-of-origin discussion" in relation to the car tariffs and "we are also having multiple discussions with Canada on cheese".

But this has been disputed by Canada in a letter to the Commons Business Committee dated 16 February.

Mr Goodale wrote that he is "disappointed with the unilateral pause in these negotiations".

A time-limited agreement had also allowed the UK to continue to sell cars without high import taxes, but given the negotiations have paused this is now in doubt, with the terms due to expire at the end of March.

He added: "As far as I'm aware, since the UK announced its pause on January 25, there have been neither negotiations nor technical discussions with respect to any of the outstanding issues - including British access to Canada's Tariff Rate Quotas for cheese and the approaching expiry of cumulation provisions respecting Rules of Origin."

Liam Byrne, chair of the Business Committee, is now demanding Ms Badenoch correct the record.
https://news.sky.com/story/canada-co...dian%20farmers.

pip08456 08-03-2024 15:17

1 Attachment(s)
No comment, after all it is the Express.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1709911137

Sephiroth 08-03-2024 17:45

That's Badenoch out of the running for next leader.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brexit for all the reasons I've previously given. I just want a competent government who can develop the nation in the way Badenoch pretends is happening.

1andrew1 08-03-2024 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171698)
That's Badenoch out of the running for next leader.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brexit for all the reasons I've previously given. I just want a competent government who can develop the nation in the way Badenoch pretends is happening.

Badenoch has form and her endorsement of anything is never a good thing.

This B'rexpress front page certainly had me lol-ing so a good way to end the week. Thank you, Pip. :D

You can't put lipstick on a pig whether you're May, Farage, BoJo, Truss, Sunak or even Starmer. The decline in productivity, exchange rate, recession and record high taxation speak louder than Mad Bad. ;)

ianch99 08-03-2024 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36171703)

This B'rexpress front page certainly had me lol-ing so a good way to end the week. Thank you, Pip. :D

You can't put lipstick on a pig whether you're May, Farage, BoJo, Truss, Sunak or even Starmer. The decline in productivity, exchange rate, recession and record high taxation speak louder than Mad Bad. ;)

I guess it is the cult members go to "news" source.

BTW, I have these wonderful soverinty beans I can sell you? :)

pip08456 08-03-2024 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36171703)

You're welcome Andrew. Here's something else for you, posted by A.F. Neil.

Quote:

The FT reports: Sterling is the only major developed world currency to strengthen against the dollar this year, driven by a stronger than expected UK economy and growing hopes of imminent US interest rate cuts.

1andrew1 08-03-2024 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36171704)
I guess it is the cult members go to "news" source.

BTW, I have these wonderful soverinty beans I can sell you? :)

A Twitter comment on it made me laugh as much as the article itself. :D
Quote:

"There will never be a bigger liar in politics than Boris Johnson"

Kemi Badenoch: "Hold my pork pie"
https://twitter.com/MrDarcyDog/statu...64196825035105

Sephiroth 09-03-2024 10:15

Won’t be too long before Pork Pies get banned along with the humble Bacon Sandwich.

On another tack, the EU isn’t doing too well. The German powerhouse is crumbling - lots of strikes and Germany can no longer underwrite the Euro. Good job we left that lot.

Hugh 09-03-2024 10:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36171735)
Won’t be too long before Pork Pies get banned along with the humble Bacon Sandwich.

On another tack, the EU isn’t doing too well. The German powerhouse is crumbling - lots of strikes and Germany can no longer underwrite the Euro. Good job we left that lot.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1709981030

mrmistoffelees 09-03-2024 12:02

:D :D :D :D

1andrew1 12-03-2024 23:37

Bears and honey.
Quote:

Exchange chief says Brexit has made investing in the UK harder

Intercontinental’s Jeffrey Sprecher was early backer of EU split but now says London has lost value as a trading centre

Brexit has made it hard to invest in the UK, according to the head of the company behind the New York Stock Exchange — a one-time backer of the UK’s split from the EU.

Jeffrey Sprecher, founder and chief executive of Intercontinental Exchange, said the UK had lost value as a trading centre since leaving the single market, and uncertainty around some post-Brexit regulations had made it difficult to invest in British businesses.

“They still seem to be getting their arms around ‘what does a post-Brexit UK look like from a regulatory standpoint’,” he said on Tuesday. “So it’s hard to make investment decisions for us in either London or continental Europe.”

Sprecher is the latest senior international executive to say that the UK has lost its appeal to investors since voting to leave the EU in 2016. One of the world’s biggest infrastructure investors said in October that Brexit was contributing to the UK’s lack of attractive investment opportunities.

He added that Brexit had “complicated” things for the UK, which had historically been a global trading centre. “There was this international move to seeing London as an access point to Europe,” Sprecher said, adding that he now saw the UK as a “foreign country”, and that investments in the US were easier to make.
https://www.ft.com/content/f027f3ec-...4-89c4ba13879f

1andrew1 25-03-2024 22:03

Quote:

Tractors descend on Parliament over 'betrayal' of British farmers in post-Brexit trade deals

Save British Farming claims imported food is falling short of UK standards and farmers are being undercut by their counterparts in the EU who are still receiving subsidies.

Save British Farming claims imported food is falling short of UK standards and farmers are being undercut by their counterparts in the EU who are still receiving subsidies.
https://news.sky.com/story/tractors-...deals-13101822

1andrew1 27-03-2024 21:06

Remember the good old days when we had an EU-inherited trade deal with Canada? This is no 1st April joke.
Quote:

UK car exports to Canada face 6% tariffs within days as trade dispute deepens

Allies in stand-off on how much EU content can be in vehicles as post-Brexit deal runs out

British car exports to Canada are facing tariffs of more than 6 per cent within days, as a deadlocked trade dispute between the two allies descended into further acrimony on Wednesday.

British government officials said Kemi Badenoch, UK trade secretary, felt like she was banging her head “against a brick wall” as the tariff cliff-edge of April 1 approached.

Tensions escalated last month when Canada denied Badenoch’s claim that trade talks were continuing, even though she had unilaterally suspended them on January 25.

The resulting stand-off means that on April 1 a post-Brexit trade arrangement with Canada will expire, leaving some British car exports facing a 6.1 per cent tariff if they contain significant EU content.
https://www.ft.com/content/51f6afd3-...1-354e089d3081