Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

Taf 28-05-2021 17:49

Re: Coronavirus

1 Attachment(s)
The infected have risen from 2092 to 4028 in 5 days.

Taf 28-05-2021 17:50

1 Attachment(s)
Variants

Mad Max 28-05-2021 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36081179)

Hopefully, the vaccines will work against anyone getting seriously ill.

OLD BOY 28-05-2021 19:52

Quote:

That information on its own does not mean we have to start worrying. They are doing a tremendous amount of testing at the moment, so it’s not surprising the numbers detected are going up. If the testing reduced to the levels of four weeks ago, the numbers would go down again.

Most of these cases detected are asymptomatic, and owing to the vaccination programme, very few are being admitted to hospital. As long as the NHS is not in danger of being unable to cope, we can carry on regardless.

So my view is, we continue apace with the vaccinations and cease these restrictions as planned on 21 June.

jfman 28-05-2021 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36081188)
That information on its own does not mean we have to start worrying. They are doing a tremendous amount of testing at the moment, so it’s not surprising the numbers detected are going up. If the testing reduced to the levels of four weeks ago, the numbers would go down again.

Most of these cases detected are asymptomatic, and owing to the vaccination programme, very few are being admitted to hospital. As long as the NHS is not in danger of being unable to cope, we can carry on regardless.

So my view is, we continue apace with the vaccinations and cease these restrictions as planned on 21 June.

:D:D:D

The funniest bit about this is in the last 7 days cases are up 24%, hospitalisations 25% and deaths 38%. Is there a source for the claim that most people are asymptomatic?

spiderplant 28-05-2021 22:43

Quote:

If the testing reduced to the levels of four weeks ago, the numbers would go down again.

This week: 6.2 million.
Four weeks ago: 6.9 million.
(Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing)

I'm genuinely interested why people post stuff that's so easily disproved.

Pierre 28-05-2021 22:50

Quote:

“The” infected.............it’s a fairly mild coronavirus not the zombie apocalypse.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081190)
:D:D:D

The funniest bit about this is in the last 7 days cases are up 24%, hospitalisations 25% and deaths 38%. Is there a source for the claim that most people are asymptomatic?

% as you well know are the worst metric. If a week goes by without a person dying, then if one person dies then week after, hey presto a 100% increase.

Your “ deaths 38%” is actually an increase of 16 people.......16...........aaaaarrrrghh..it’s the end I tell you, .........the end .

jfman 28-05-2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081205)
“The” infected.............it’s a fairly mild coronavirus not the zombie apocalypse.

% as you well know are the worst metric. If a week goes by without a person dying, then if one person dies then week after, hey presto a 100% increase.

Your “ deaths 38%” is actually an increase of 16 people.......16...........aaaaarrrrghh..it’s the end I tell you, .........the end .

And what stops such percentage increases continuing, and even rising?

Nothing.

Intervention is required the only questions are how much and when. Same old story as March last year, September, January. Flawed decision making at this stage ends one way: lockdown.

We know you enjoy proposing to steer the country into another lockdown - a staple of your input into this thread even if you don’t realise it - the rest of us are quite sick of them.

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36081204)

I'm genuinely interested why people post stuff that's so easily disproved.

Why change the habit of a pandemic? I’m genuinely interested in the motivation as it’s neither health or the economy.

1andrew1 29-05-2021 15:51

Quote:

NHS Test and Trace advert on at the moment says that 1 in 3 peeople with Covid are asymptomatic. That suggests most people with Covid do have symptoms which is reassuring. Where do your more alarming figures come from?

jfman 29-05-2021 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36081260)
NHS Test and Trace advert on at the moment says that 1 in 3 peeople with Covid are asymptomatic. That suggests most people with Covid do have symptoms which is reassuring. Where do your more alarming figures come from?

Unsurprising that OB cannot return with any kind of corroboration.

The idea that a majority (>50%) of cases aren't traced by symptomatic testing with an R rate between 7 and 8 is absolutely terrifying given the amount of unvaccinated or partially vaccinated in the population.

I can console him though that life isn't that bad - because he's incorrect.

OLD BOY 30-05-2021 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081207)
And what stops such percentage increases continuing, and even rising?

Nothing.

Intervention is required the only questions are how much and when. Same old story as March last year, September, January. Flawed decision making at this stage ends one way: lockdown.

We know you enjoy proposing to steer the country into another lockdown - a staple of your input into this thread even if you don’t realise it - the rest of us are quite sick of them.

And what prevents that figure from falling again?

Nothing.

Unless this becomes a sustained increase, there is no need for these constant, irritating alarm bells. We know the number of positive tests are increasing, but we knew that would happen. It is the hospitalisation figure that is important, which continues to stabalise at a very low number.

All efforts now should be focussed on completing the vaccination programme and end the pandemic restrictions on 21 June.

jfman 30-05-2021 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36081296)
And what prevents that figure from falling again?

Nothing.

That’s not how it works.

Quote:

Unless this becomes a sustained increase, there is no need for these constant, irritating alarm bells.
When this becomes a sustained increase.

Quote:

We know the number of positive tests are increasing, but we knew that would happen.
Did we?

Quote:

It is the hospitalisation figure that is important, which continues to stabalise at a very low number.
Rising faster than positive tests.

Quote:

All efforts now should be focussed on completing the vaccination programme
I actually agree with this bit

Quote:

end the pandemic restrictions on 21 June.
Yet sadly you contradict yourself with such a laughable proposal here.

Jaymoss 30-05-2021 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081205)

If you factor in transmission rate and mortality numbers it is the worst Coronavirus that has ever existed.

MERS and SARS beats it for mortality rate over infections but it spreads no where near as fast and wide as SARS-COV2 and when it has killed so many people world wide I do not know how you can say it is fairly mild with a straight face. In fact you were most likely smirking smugly to yourself when you typed it

jfman 30-05-2021 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081299)
If you factor in transmission rate and mortality numbers it is the worst Coronavirus that has ever existed.

MERS and SARS beats it for mortality rate over infections but it spreads no where near as fast and wide as SARS-COV2 and when it has killed so many people world wide I do not know how you can say it is fairly mild with a straight face. In fact you were most likely smirking smugly to yourself when you typed it

Let him will on the next lockdown. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Jaymoss 30-05-2021 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081301)
Let him will on the next lockdown. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

it just grinds my gears when someone makes light of it. I like many have lost someone close to me to this disease and then someone comes along like this and acts like its nothing

jfman 30-05-2021 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081303)
it just grinds my gears when someone makes light of it. I like many have lost someone close to me to this disease and then someone comes along like this and acts like its nothing

Indeed.

I think it’s no coincidence that those who downplay the pandemic (indeed, borderline deny the pandemic) are the biggest proponents of unregulated, uncontrolled free market capitalism. Human life is, to that end, an expendable commodity so long as someone’s stock goes up a couple of percentage points.

OLD BOY 30-05-2021 13:05

You talk such nonsense, jfman. No-one wants to see unnecessary deaths. However, the decisions made have always been a balance between the health of the nation and the economy. As a self proclaimed ‘economist’ it is surprising that your comments seem to indicate so strongly that the economy doesn’t matter.

Well, it does. Without it, we would have no public services, including the NHS. And we would all be thrown into poverty.

The fixation with the number of positive tests is one you do not balance with the number of people becoming ill enough to be admitted to hospital. As we have now vaccinated all the vulnerable groups, we have effectively avoided the peaks we have suffered to date.

As the vaccination programme continues, we will be avoiding problems with mutations taking their toll of the younger groups. We are already vaccinating the over-30s.

jfman 30-05-2021 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36081306)
You talk such nonsense, jfman. No-one wants to see unnecessary deaths.

Yet you want to remove all restrictions when the vaccination programme is incomplete?

That has consequences that are absolutely inevitable.

Quote:

However, the decisions made have always been a balance between the health of the nation and the economy. As a self proclaimed ‘economist’ it is surprising that your comments seem to indicate so strongly that the economy doesn’t matter.
Yet you consistently advocate policy positions that end up in lockdown - with the greatest impact on both human health and the economy.

Quote:

Well, it does. Without it, we would have no public services, including the NHS. And we would all be thrown into poverty.

The fixation with the number of positive tests is one you do not balance with the number of people becoming ill enough to be admitted to hospital. As we have now vaccinated all the vulnerable groups, we have effectively avoided the peaks we have suffered to date.
An entirely speculative position.

Quote:

As the vaccination programme continues, we will be avoiding problems with mutations taking their toll of the younger groups. We are already vaccinating the over-30s.
A sub-optimal vaccination programme increases the chances of a mutation that escapes the vaccine. Every infection of a part vaccinated individual is a dice roll.

I look forward to continued restrictions from June 22. Masks, working from home if you can at a minimum.

1andrew1 30-05-2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081290)
Unsurprising that OB cannot return with any kind of corroboration.

I'm afraid Old Boy only has eyes for your posts. ;)

TheDaddy 30-05-2021 16:02

Quote:

Hendra virus mortality rate is higher than all three diseases combined, for me the big thing the world has to ensure happens after the pandemic is that we stay away from bats, no more disturbing or encroaching on their habitats and definitely no more eating them, the diseases they carry aren't worth the risk of exposure to and that's the ones they've got we know about, goodness knows what else they've got swishing about in their bellies

Jaymoss 30-05-2021 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36081312)
Hendra virus mortality rate is higher than all three diseases combined, for me the big thing the world has to ensure happens after the pandemic is that we stay away from bats, no more disturbing or encroaching on their habitats and definitely no more eating them, the diseases they carry aren't worth the risk of exposure to and that's the ones they've got we know about, goodness knows what else they've got swishing about in their bellies

That isn't a COV though is it? but yes stay away from Bats :)

jfman 30-05-2021 16:09

Stay away from gain of function research too.

I see the Government are considering making the vaccine mandatory for NHS staff. A slippery slope...

OLD BOY 30-05-2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081314)
Stay away from gain of function research too.

I see the Government are considering making the vaccine mandatory for NHS staff. A slippery slope...

Making the vaccine mandatory for NHS and care home staff jolly well should be mandatory. This must surely be the most obvious necessity at this time and yet you are more worried more about less than 20 people being admitted to hospital!

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081307)
Yet you want to remove all restrictions when the vaccination programme is incomplete?

That has consequences that are absolutely inevitable.

Really? Which categories of people is it going to infect to such an extent that they are hospitalised?

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36081204)

I stand corrected, sorry. I had not seen these figures, but I had assumed the surge testing had greatly increased the number of people being tested.

jfman 30-05-2021 18:03

You had assumed wrong Old Boy.

Not for the first time - at least as far back as the virus going away by itself.

As for who will be hospitalised that's a very good question. One for the Bolton hospitals that are treating vaccinated patients I'm sure.

I’m unsure where your “less than 20” figure comes from in relation to hospital admissions. Some irrelevant measure into something unrelated I’d guess.

Pierre 30-05-2021 18:39

Quote:

Well done you managed to contradict yourself in 10 words after making your first point.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081303)

I am truly sorry for your loss but your personal experience does not make the rule.

jfman 30-05-2021 18:39

What about 150,000 personal experiences?

Pierre 30-05-2021 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081305)
Indeed.

I think it’s no coincidence that those who downplay the pandemic (indeed, borderline deny the pandemic)

No one has denied the pandemic

Quote:

are the biggest proponents of unregulated, uncontrolled free market capitalism. Human life is, to that end, an expendable commodity so long as someone’s stock goes up a couple of percentage points.
Says the “I’m not a Marxist”

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081327)
What about 150,000 personal experiences?

That’s fine, as are the other 68.2 million experiences.

jfman 30-05-2021 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081328)
No one has denied the pandemic

Says the “I’m not a Marxist”

If you read very carefully I didn't say anyone did.

I'm not sure what Marxism has to do with anything. Do you disagree that capitalism monetises human endeavour? I mean it's sort of the point. You may be shocked to learn Jeff Bezos doesn't deliver all those parcels himself.

Jaymoss 30-05-2021 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081325)

I am truly sorry for your loss but your personal experience does not make the rule.

I do not think you are truly sorry for anything tbh

Oh and just for your reference you saying it is a mild coronavirus does not make it that either

Pierre 30-05-2021 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081330)
If you read very carefully I didn't say anyone did.

I did read it carefully, as carefully as you wrote it, as you’re very good as not saying what you’re really saying aren’t you?

Quote:

I'm not sure what Marxism has to do with anything. Do you disagree that capitalism monetises human endeavour? I mean it's sort of the point. You may be shocked to learn Jeff Bezos doesn't deliver all those parcels himself.
Has Jeff Bezos downplayed the pandemic?

jfman 30-05-2021 19:02

Quite the contradiction in your opening sentence.

Bezos is probably enjoying the pandemic. Almost as much as those on here who want it to drag out longer by making grave errors that end up in lockdown and needless death.

Pierre 30-05-2021 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081331)

I offered my condolences, whether you accept them or not is a matter for you.

Quote:

Oh and just for your reference you saying it is a mild coronavirus does not make it that either
Thanks, I’ll make a note of that reference.

Jaymoss 30-05-2021 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081336)
I offered my condolences, whether you accept them or not is a matter for you.

All I see is you saying "it's only mild" " oh sorry someone you cared about died" "but it is still only mild"

so no I do not accept it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081336)
Thanks, I’ll make a note of that reference.

you really really should

Pierre 30-05-2021 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081334)
Bezos is probably enjoying the pandemic. Almost as much as those on here.

As much as you? No one on here has demonstrated a love for lockdown or big government more than you.

You’ll be bereft when it’s over.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081337)
All I see is you saying "it's only mild" " oh sorry someone you cared about died" "but it is still only mild"

I do not accept it

Suit yourself.

jfman 30-05-2021 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081338)
As much as you? No one on here has demonstrated a love for lockdown or big government more than you.

You’ll be bereft when it’s over.

“Luckily” that won’t be for some time until the booster vaccines are out there.

I think you’ll find I’m offering credible alternatives to lockdown. No restrictions from June 22 isn’t one of them.

OLD BOY 30-05-2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081323)
You had assumed wrong Old Boy.

Not for the first time - at least as far back as the virus going away by itself.

As for who will be hospitalised that's a very good question. One for the Bolton hospitals that are treating vaccinated patients I'm sure.

I’m unsure where your “less than 20” figure comes from in relation to hospital admissions. Some irrelevant measure into something unrelated I’d guess.

#5407. Are you having memory problems?

nomadking 30-05-2021 19:30

The longer the virus is allowed to swirl around, the easier it becomes for new variants to come along. Any new variant might be milder and/or less transmissible, or it maybe it could lead to worse affects and/or greater transmissibility.
Eg

Quote:

Vietnam has detected a Covid variant that appears to be a combination of the Indian and UK variants and can spread quickly by air, officials say.
Mr Nguyen said the new hybrid variant was more transmissible than previously known versions, especially in the air. He said it was discovered after running tests on newly-detected patients, online newspaper VnExpress reported.

jfman 30-05-2021 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36081342)
#5407. Are you having memory problems?

Read that post and none the wiser, OB.

Your original statement

Quote:

This must surely be the most obvious necessity at this time and yet you are more worried more about less than 20 people being admitted to hospital!

OLD BOY 30-05-2021 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081345)
Read that post and none the wiser, OB.

Your original statement

16 is less than 20. :beer:

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36081344)
The longer the virus is allowed to swirl around, the easier it becomes for new variants to come along. Any new variant might be milder and/or less transmissible, or it maybe it could lead to worse affects and/or greater transmissibility.
Eg

That’s why we have a vaccine. Even increased transmissibility will not be a problem when all the susceptible groups are vaccinated. We are there or thereabouts now.

We are continuing through the younger age groups now in case new variants transmit more deadly to them.

jfman 30-05-2021 19:49

16 is less than 20.

It’s a shame Pierre was talking about deaths, you were talking about hospitalisations.

Hugh 30-05-2021 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36081346)

That’s why we have a vaccine. Even increased transmissibility will not be a problem when all the susceptible groups are vaccinated. We are there or thereabouts now.

We are continuing through the younger age groups now in case new variants transmit more deadly to them.

Let’s hope none of the variants is vaccine-resistant…

GrimUpNorth 30-05-2021 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36081346)

I hope you're not making potentially fatal assumptions there - i.e. that the existing vaccines will work against ANY new variant and if they don't that a new vaccine can be rolled out worldwide in a matter of days, because just look how far we are away from worldwide vaccination and we've been jabbing people as fast as we can for nearly 6 months.

If you're gamble doesn't pay off we could all be starting the whole sorry affair all over again. After all, you do know we're only playing catch-up with a virus which has got form for getting away from us. It's done it (possibly more than) once and is pretty likely to do it again - every time the virus replicates there's a chance it could mutate and that's kind of like playing virus russian roulette as the more often you pull the trigger.......

Pierre 30-05-2021 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36081351)
Let’s hope none of the variants is vaccine-resistant…

I think we all share that hope.

However, do you have any legitimate reason to think that may be the case?

The Kent, Indian, Brazilian, South African variants are all non-vaccine resistant.

We’ll feel better by not worrying about “what ifs” and focusing on “what ares”

jfman 30-05-2021 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081354)

The Kent, Indian, Brazilian, South African variants are all non-vaccine resistant.

Ah false comforting hope.

Comforting, but false.

Better to manage the pandemic in the real world not Pierre's hopes and dreams.

Pierre 30-05-2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36081352)
I hope you're not making potentially fatal assumptions there - i.e. that the existing vaccines will work against ANY new variant

He making a perfectly acceptable assumption based on available evidence. The vaccines currently work on all variants.

Quote:

and if they don't that a new vaccine can be rolled out worldwide in a matter of days, because just look how far we are away from worldwide vaccination and we've been jabbing people as fast as we can for nearly 6 months.

If you're gamble doesn't pay off we could all be starting the whole sorry affair all over again. After all, you do know we're only playing catch-up with a virus which has got form for getting away from us. It's done it (possibly more than) once and is pretty likely to do it again - every time the virus replicates there's a chance it could mutate and that's kind of like playing virus russian roulette as the more often you pull the trigger.......
So much fear and trepidation, do you get out of bed in the morning or just lay there quivering under the covers all day?

jfman 30-05-2021 20:36

The available evidence is that mutations reduce efficacy. To that end it's inevitable that a vaccine resistant variant will arise unless action is taken to drive down cases and roll out the vaccine. They're complementary actions, not competing ones.

There are no short cuts.

Pierre 30-05-2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081355)
Better to manage the pandemic in the real world not Pierre's hopes and dreams.

And in the “real world”, all the variants so far are non-vaccine resistant. Not my hopes and dreams, just the real world.

What world do you Live in? Oh I know it’s the ‘let’s all live in a totalitarian dystopian world”

Hugh 30-05-2021 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081354)

That's not how risk management works...

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081357)
He making a perfectly acceptable assumption based on available evidence. The vaccines currently work on all variants.

So much fear and trepidation, do you get out of bed in the morning or just lay there quivering under the covers all day?

You mean on this virus that's been around for 18 months, that people said "don't worry about it" at the beginning of last year, and that we are still learning about, including the issues with Long Covid?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/covid...190403035.html

Quote:

Antibody drugs and COVID-19 vaccines are less effective against a coronavirus variant that was first detected in India, according to researchers. The variant, known as B.1.617.2, has mutations that make it more transmissible. It is now predominant in some parts of India and has spread to many other countries. A multicenter team of scientists in France studied a B.1.617.2 variant isolated from a traveler returning from India. Compared to the B.1.1.7 variant first identified in Britain, the India variant was more resistant to antibody drugs, although three currently approved drugs still remained effective against it, they found. Antibodies in blood from unvaccinated COVID-19 survivors and from people who received both doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine were 3-fold to 6-fold less potent against the India variant than against the UK variant and a variant first identified in South Africa, according to a report posted on Thursday on the website bioRxiv ahead of peer review. The two-dose AstraZeneca vaccine, which does not protect against the South Africa variant, is likely to be ineffective against the India variant as well. Antibodies from people who had received their first dose "barely inhibited" this India variant, said study co-author Olivier Schwartz of Institut Pasteur. The study, Schwartz added, shows that the rapid spread of the India variant is associated with its ability to "escape" the effect of neutralizing antibodies. (https://bit.ly/3fQLeJ0)

jfman 30-05-2021 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081359)
And in the “real world”, all the variants so far are non-vaccine resistant. Not my hopes and dreams, just the real world.

What world do you Live in? Oh I know it’s the ‘let’s all live in a totalitarian dystopian world”

Vaccines have lower efficacy against variants.

Some of them are unable to reach the herd immunity threshold. That leaves us knee deep in a pandemic with risks of hospitalisations and deaths. In the real world.

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36081360)

In fairness to Pierre he's been pretty consistent for the last 15 months he has no interest in managing the risk.

Pierre 30-05-2021 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081358)
it's inevitable that a vaccine resistant variant will arise

Not inevitable, but possible, even probable, and if that happens we’ll deal with it each year, like the “flu”

Oooh, yes I’ve said the ‘F” word

Quote:

unless action is taken to drive down cases and roll out the vaccine. They're complementary actions, not competing ones.

There are no short cuts.
Just roll out the vaccine, if hospitalisations threaten the NHS, then localised restrictions could be considered but there is no suggestion anything like that is required at the moment or the near future.

jfman 30-05-2021 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081365)
Not inevitable, but possible, even probable, and if that happens we’ll deal with it each year, like the “flu”

Oooh, yes I’ve said the ‘F” word

It's already half way there.

Quote:

Just roll out the vaccine, if hospitalisations threaten the NHS, then localised restrictions could be considered but there is no suggestion anything like that is required at the moment or the near future.
National restrictions remain required it's too late for local restrictions to contain the Indian variant.

There's no chance of "normal" from June 22. Zero.

Pierre 30-05-2021 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36081360)

Well the “Ifs” are potentially infinite, if your risk management expertise is as good as your research expertise, I’ll get a second opinion.

Quote:

You mean on this virus that's been around for 18 months, that people said "don't worry about it" at the beginning of last year, and that we are still learning about, including the issues with Long Covid?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/covid...190403035.html
Like I say based on available evidence, as the evidence changes so will the conclusions.

jfman 30-05-2021 20:58

There’s plenty of evidence for vaccine escape.

You’re simply using a tedious metric that, if taken to extreme, a 10% efficacy vaccine could be described as working despite being absolutely useless.

Countries are already buying further vaccines for their populations. They aren’t doing that because this will all be over in a few weeks.

Carth 30-05-2021 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36081352)
I hope you're not making potentially fatal assumptions there - i.e. that the existing vaccines will work against ANY new variant and if they don't that a new vaccine can be rolled out worldwide in a matter of days, because just look how far we are away from worldwide vaccination and we've been jabbing people as fast as we can for nearly 6 months.

It looks to me (could be wrong) that you (and others) want lock downs to continue until everyone in the UK has been vaccinated and no new variants have appeared, which seems a tad silly to me.

Let me explain before you turn purple . . . there are other countries in the World with the same problems, and many of those are nowhere near our vaccinated population level. This means that unless you really lock down for months (or years) by closing all access to this country there will be further variants arriving daily/weekly/monthly until the whole world has been vaccinated and there have been no more variants anywhere for a period of time (3 months? ).

Doesn't seem a sound plan to me, but hey if that's what you want . . .

pip08456 30-05-2021 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081368)
There’s plenty of evidence for vaccine escape.

You’re simply using a tedious metric that, if taken to extreme, a 10% efficacy vaccine could be described as working despite being absolutely useless.

Countries are already buying further vaccines for their populations. They aren’t doing that because this will all be over in a few weeks.

Really? Can you name one virus (out of the many) that has actually developed vaccine resistance?

Before you name Flu there is this.

Quote:

The seasonal influenza vaccine is routinely undermined by antigenic evolution, evolution that occurs even in the absence of vaccination.
Link you might find it an interesting read.

jfman 30-05-2021 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081370)
Really? Can you name one virus (out of the many) that has actually developed vaccine resistance?

Before you name Flu there is this.

Link you might find it an interesting read.

The UK Government literally use the term vaccine escape to describe reduced efficacy. So this one.

The arbitrary threshold to reduce vaccine efficacy to zero as a definition of vaccine escape isn’t something I’ve seen outside this thread.

As evolution chips away 5% here and 10% there this has huge implications for population level immunity.

Pierre 30-05-2021 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081371)
The UK Government literally use the term vaccine escape to describe reduced efficacy. So this one.

So no then, just so we’re clear.

GrimUpNorth 30-05-2021 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081369)
It looks to me (could be wrong) that you (and others) want lock downs to continue until everyone in the UK has been vaccinated and no new variants have appeared, which seems a tad silly to me.

Let me explain before you turn purple . . . there are other countries in the World with the same problems, and many of those are nowhere near our vaccinated population level. This means that unless you really lock down for months (or years) by closing all access to this country there will be further variants arriving daily/weekly/monthly until the whole world has been vaccinated and there have been no more variants anywhere for a period of time (3 months? ).

Doesn't seem a sound plan to me, but hey if that's what you want . . .

I don't want lockdowns to continue infinitum, like everyone else I've pretty much had enough. But what certain older members of the CF community seem to have conveniently forgotten (if they understood in the first place) is there has never been any promise from the government that restrictions will be lifted on the 21st June, only that the 21st is the earliest they could be lifted. They have already started to prepare us for possible ongoing restrictions for some time after the 21st.

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head and we should lock down once and for all until the rest of the world catches up. As long as the virus is out there and mutations are happening we run the risk of going on the merry-go-round again and again before we realise repeating the same old approach has done nothing but left us bankrupt and still with no end of the pandemic in sight. I really hope I'm wrong and if we get a straight 12 months of life as it used to be with no sign of a resurgence I'll happily come back here and say "I was wrong!".

jfman 30-05-2021 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081372)
So no then, just so we’re clear.

Who to trust. Government scientists or Pierre.

Not a tough one. Clear?

Carth 30-05-2021 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081374)

Not a tough one. Clear?

Pierre, every time :p:

Pierre 30-05-2021 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36081373)
is there has never been any promise from the government that restrictions will be lifted on the 21st June,

No, we know that. But there has to be clear and evidential reason for not lifting restrictions, and there isn’t one.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Quote:

Not a tough one. Clear?

Agreed, not tough at all, just your very poor interpretation of a governmental term.

Clear?

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081375)
Pierre, every time :p:

Never knowingly disappoints

1andrew1 31-05-2021 00:32

Quote:

Vietnam identifies new coronavirus variant as infections surge

Hybrid of strains first discovered in the UK and India detected in four patients

Vietnam said it had detected a new coronavirus variant that combines features of the variants first identified in India and the UK and is easily transmissible by air.

In remarks on Saturday quoted by state-controlled media, Nguyen Thanh Long, health minister, said genetic sequencing by Vietnam’s National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology had detected at least four Covid-19 patients carrying the newly identified variant.

Le Thi Quynh Mai, the institute’s deputy head, said the variant was not yet recorded by GISAID, the global initiative focused on sharing information about viruses, and did not yet have a name.

Pham Minh Chinh, Vietnam’s prime minister, reportedly called for “urgent response measures amid the complicated developments of the pandemic”, which is now spreading through the industrial parks at the heart of Vietnam’s export-focused, foreign direct investment-driven economy.
https://www.ft.com/content/46290dfc-...a-3edaf2a6ad3f

Carth 31-05-2021 00:36

Another variant, and this one is airborne

oh hang on, aren't they all otherwise why wear masks?

pip08456 31-05-2021 00:36

Quote:

Not a tough one. Clear?

Well let's be clear.
Neither you nor any Government scientist can name any virus in the history of man that has become vaccine resistant.

1andrew1 31-05-2021 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081331)

I disagree with Pierre on many things but I don't doubt his sincerity here.

TheDaddy 31-05-2021 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081384)
Well let's be clear.
Neither you nor any Government scientist can name any virus in the history of man that has become vaccine resistant.

If it achieves complete vaccine resistance it's evolved into something that is no longer covid 19, at least that's how it was explained to me by a boffin on the box

jfman 31-05-2021 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081384)
Well let's be clear.

I'm not sure why 100% resistance is being held up as the bar when the Government (and others) use the term vaccine escape to describe reduced efficacy.

As I said to Pierre his ludicrous binary approach would have a vaccine that works 10% of the time as "working". That said, given he considers Coronavirus "mild" and continues to wilfully downplay the pandemic, it's no real surprise that he extends his ignorance to vaccine escape.

However his blind optimism usually results in disappointment so I take some comfort from that.

Maggy 31-05-2021 09:15

Less sniping,more DISCUSSION please.

Carth 31-05-2021 09:16

We had 2 Covid deaths reported in our locality a couple of days ago . . .

one was from January and one from March, so that's probably two of the recent deaths reported that have sod all to do with the current situation.

But the figures don't lie do they :rolleyes:

jfman 31-05-2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081397)
We had 2 Covid deaths reported in our locality a couple of days ago . . .

one was from January and one from March, so that's probably two of the recent deaths reported that have sod all to do with the current situation.

But the figures don't lie do they :rolleyes:

Did they die of Covid or with Covid? ;)

Hugh 31-05-2021 10:16

When I was walking the dog this morning, bumped into a local medic (anaesthesiologist at LGI) who was also in the field - I asked her (open question, no "how bad is it") her thoughts on current state of play on COVID (didn’t mention Indian Variant).

She told me that the local hospitals are gearing up for in increase in hospitalisations for COVID patients.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081383)
Another variant, and this one is airborne

oh hang on, aren't they all otherwise why wear masks?

"more transmissible".

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081367)
Well the “Ifs” are potentially infinite, if your risk management expertise is as good as your research expertise, I’ll get a second opinion.

Like I say based on available evidence, as the evidence changes so will the conclusions.

But in Risk Management you focus on the likely scenarios with the highest impacts, not potentially infinite scenarios.

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 10:35

End of the day I am glad it is not people like Pierre that makes the hard choices because if it was there would have been a lot more deaths and grieving families this last 15 months.

Hopefully those more vulnerable to the virus are inoculated now and wise enough to know they still need to take care and hopefully the hospitals do not fill up over the summer or at least those who catch it bad able to fight it

I personally do not think we are ready for back to normal and do not think we will be for a long long time but that does not mean we can not re open everything we just need to take care and we also need to be protected from those who refuse to face realities. Some form of social distancing and mask wearing needs to remain in my opinion ie antivaxxers deniers and selfish a holes can stay away from me

Carth 31-05-2021 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36081399)
When I was walking the dog this morning, bumped into a local medic (anaesthesiologist at LGI) who was also in the field - I asked her (open question, no "how bad is it") her thoughts on current state of play on COVID (didn’t mention Indian Variant).

She told me that the local hospitals are gearing up for in increase in hospitalisations for COVID patients.

Management basics, don't want to get caught out IF there's a huge increase

Quote:

"more transmissible".

Meaning what? We now have to wear 3 masks and stand 20ft away from anyone else?

Quote:

But in Risk Management you focus on the likely scenarios with the highest impacts, not potentially infinite scenarios.

Agreed sort of, but the risk potential here is determined by ever changing (conflicting) data and 'expert' opinion that has been wrong before ;)

pip08456 31-05-2021 10:53

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081403)
Management basics, don't want to get caught out IF there's a huge increase

Meaning what? We now have to wear 3 masks and stand 20ft away from anyone else?

Agreed sort of, but the risk potential here is determined by ever changing (conflicting) data and 'expert' opinion that has been wrong before ;)

And still continuing.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1622454744

jfman 31-05-2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081404)

That doesn't take account of intervention.

Pierre 31-05-2021 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081395)
I'm not sure why 100% resistance is being held up as the bar when the Government (and others) use the term vaccine escape to describe reduced efficacy.

As I said to Pierre his ludicrous binary approach would have a vaccine that works 10% of the time as "working". That said, given he considers Coronavirus "mild" and continues to wilfully downplay the pandemic, it's no real surprise that he extends his ignorance to vaccine escape.

However his blind optimism usually results in disappointment so I take some comfort from that.

You can’t help yourself can you?

pip08456 31-05-2021 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081405)
That doesn't take account of intervention.

I see, vaccination isn't intervention. Got it!

Pierre 31-05-2021 11:19

Quote:

Considering that this will now most likely be a seasonal illness, then we should expect an increase around from august onwards.

I would hope any and every hospital are always in a state of readiness.

jfman 31-05-2021 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081407)
I see, vaccination isn't intervention. Got it!

That's clearly not what I said.

Those models are projections that have assumptions in them.

Vaccination is intervention. Lockdown is intervention. Unless one of those lines matches exactly what happened (forecast vaccine rollout, vaccine efficacy, levels of restrictions) it's impossible to say that the modelling was wrong.

Pierre 31-05-2021 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081402)
End of the day I am glad it is not people like Pierre that makes the hard choices because if it was there would have been a lot more deaths and grieving families this last 15 months.

How do you know I’m not Matt Hancock?

Quote:

I personally do not think we are ready for back to normal and do not think we will be for a long long time but that does not mean we can not re open everything we just need to take care and we also need to be protected from those who refuse to face realities. Some form of social distancing and mask wearing needs to remain in my opinion ie antivaxxers deniers and selfish a holes can stay away from me
So we’ll just keep continually wearing masks for the thrill it gives us, and not base it on any evidence.

jfman 31-05-2021 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081410)

Easy.

He has advocated lockdown and restrictions.

Pierre 31-05-2021 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081409)
Those models are projections that have assumptions in them.

That were clearly wrong

---------- Post added at 11:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081411)
Easy.

He’s advocated lockdown and restrictions.

Only to the face of the public.

jfman 31-05-2021 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081412)
That were clearly wrong

Grateful if you could point to the line that most closely matches our vaccine rollout, school closures and various levels of restrictions from January to date? (Oh, and also forecast a new variant).

Otherwise I’m happy to chalk this up as further baseless speculation on your part.

spiderplant 31-05-2021 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081404)
And still continuing.

What is the source for your chart?

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36081410)

So we’ll just keep continually wearing masks for the thrill it gives us, and not base it on any evidence.

a lot of people in the orient have worn masks due to the environment for years and years and they managed. What is wrong with taking precautions ?

Proverbs 22:3 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it.

jfman 31-05-2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081417)
a lot of people in the orient have worn masks due to the environment for years and years and they managed. What is wrong with taking precautions ?

Proverbs 22:3 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it.

Unfortunately the simplistic analysis from some works on the basis that masks aren’t 100% effective therefore they are ineffective.

Just as well they don’t think of vaccines the same way.

pip08456 31-05-2021 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36081415)
What is the source for your chart?

https://data.spectator.co.uk/

joglynne 31-05-2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081419)

The actual report can be found here and it appears to contain whole a shed load of information to keep all those who enjoy nitpicking through any links posted.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...r_England_.pdf

However I decided I have better, and less brain numbing, things to do on such a lovely day than do more that speed read it. :D

Over to someone who enjoys ploughing through government articles.

Carth 31-05-2021 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36081409)
(snip)
Those models are projections that have assumptions in them. (/snip)

Am I seeing things, or is this the first sign of admission that all the projections made by the many and varied 'experts' in the Covid scenarios are nothing more than educated guesses?

:D :p: ;)

oh, and even I mentioned new variants 'arriving soon' about a week ago, they always seem to spring up nearing a lifting of restrictions ;)

Sephiroth 31-05-2021 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36081420)
The actual report can be found here and it appears to contain whole a shed load of information to keep all those who enjoy nitpicking through any links posted.

However I decided I have better, and less brain numbing, things to do on such a lovely day than do more that speed read it. :D

The problem with that government article is that it is undated - thus quite useless. Studies based on latest information are the only ones that provide potential value because outcomes are still unfolding.

pip08456 31-05-2021 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36081420)

That should keep jfman happy for a while.

jfman 31-05-2021 12:49

If I turn the brightness right up I can read it while having a beer in the garden on this fine bank holiday ;)

Sephiroth 31-05-2021 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36081425)
That should keep jfman happy for a while.

Hardly - he’ll have seen my opinion and would take that into account on any contribution he might make.

Taf 31-05-2021 19:46

Quote:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced a new naming system for variants of Covid-19.

From now on the WHO will use Greek letters to refer to variants first detected in countries like the UK, South Africa and India.

The UK variant for instance is labelled as Alpha, the South African Beta, and the Indian as Delta.
I would have thought China woud be Alpha, but the WHO doesn't like upsetting the CCP.

Mad Max 31-05-2021 19:58

We have wee nippy calling the Indian variant April 02 ffs, talk about trying not to offend anyone, unbelievable!

Carth 31-05-2021 20:04

How many has there been up to now?

spiderplant 31-05-2021 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36081471)
How many has there been up to now?

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

Mick 01-06-2021 16:36

BREAKING: UK Reports Zero Covid-19 Related Deaths Since Pandemic Began.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...began-12322274

Pierre 01-06-2021 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36081574)
BREAKING: UK Reports Zero Covid-19 Related Deaths Since Pandemic Began.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...began-12322274

Nooooooo....we can’t remove all restrictions and open up on June 21st, that would go against whatever expert Sky news has rolled out today.

jfman 01-06-2021 17:35

Oakshott?