Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

nashville 04-07-2018 16:40

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35952907)
Its what you call the unremovable force LM.;)

Double Dutch Den ;)

MalteseFalcon 07-07-2018 10:09

So. Last Sunday, after blowing my top and going into near nuclear meltdown, I gave in and did something I swore I would never do. And smoked. 3 cigarettes. Bought a pack on Monday and have smoked 2 since then.

SnoopZ 07-07-2018 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon (Post 35953326)
So. Last Sunday, after blowing my top and going into near nuclear meltdown, I gave in and did something I swore I would never do. And smoked. 3 cigarettes. Bought a pack on Monday and have smoked 2 since then.

You really need not to fly off the handle like you do often, it really is not healthy for your job or your health, it can have big consequences for both job and health all in a matter of seconds.

Stephen 08-07-2018 22:52

Finally got my eye operation last Monday. Slow recovery and vision terrible just now.

Feeling so tired and drained too. Sleeping often and not had energy to go out.

Also appealed my PIP decision and awaiting a response from DWP. Hope it doesn't go to tribunal. It's been going on long enough.

Also got told I have high blood pressure and been put on Ramapril to bring it down. Feeling like I'm on too many drugs now and feeling like health is just getting worse.

Also getting tests and scans on my stomach and intestines for issues with that.

1andrew1 08-07-2018 23:56

Good luck Stephen. If you can avoid any drug, I say avoid it as everything seems to have a side effect.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35953328)
You really need not to fly off the handle like you do often, it really is not healthy for your job or your health, it can have big consequences for both job and health all in a matter of seconds.

Yes, count to ten or maybe try and find a less stressful job. Easier said than done I know. Good luck mate.

MalteseFalcon 09-07-2018 01:03

Had to learn that today, I seriously wonder how the hell people can be so inept and get promoted to positions of authority. All I can say is, I am so glad it won't be me getting a phone call from the account manager tomorrow....

Mr_love_monkey 09-07-2018 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon (Post 35953656)
Had to learn that today, I seriously wonder how the hell people can be so inept and get promoted to positions of authority. All I can say is, I am so glad it won't be me getting a phone call from the account manager tomorrow....

It's called the 'Dilbert Principle'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert_principle

MalteseFalcon 09-07-2018 19:35

He's not even someone from within the company though, he's a manager brought in from outside. Who used to be in the prison service.

Mr_love_monkey 09-07-2018 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon (Post 35953802)
He's not even someone from within the company though, he's a manager brought in from outside. Who used to be in the prison service.

Yeah, and if you have someone who is incompetent, but not incompetent enough to sack, you write them a glowing reference when they want to go somewhere else :)

Hom3r 09-07-2018 20:52

Got into my office at 7:15am and it was 30°C and stayed like that when I left at 5pm.

Two fans did squat other than blow the papers on my desk.

denphone 10-07-2018 09:30

Off to the pain clinic at the local hospital later this morning.

nashville 10-07-2018 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35953850)
Off to the pain clinic at the local hospital later this morning.

Hope that helps you Den ;)

SnoopZ 10-07-2018 11:28

Eon sending me an email saying they 'need' to replace my meters with a smart meter, well that is a load of bollocks..... and it isn't going to happen any time soon!

nashville 10-07-2018 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35953865)
Eon sending me an email saying they 'need' to replace my meters with a smart meter, well that is a load of bollocks..... and it isn't going to happen any time soon!

They tell you anything to try and get you to take a Smart Meter, :dozey:

SnoopZ 10-07-2018 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35953869)
They tell you anything to try and get you to take a Smart Meter, :dozey:

They sure do, and they say if i don't want one i have to call them, well i am not calling anyone, they better not turn up and change them without my permission.

Hugh 10-07-2018 11:47

Quote:

That’s because the U.K. Government has set them targets to install Smart Meters by the end of 2020, and they will be fined if they don’t meet those targets (even though it’s not compulsory for customers to have them...).

Suppliers have been told by the Government to try to install smart meters in all the UK’s 50 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020. If they fail to do enough, they face fines of up to £7 billion.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work
Quote:

The government requires energy companies to install smart meters for their customers, and has set out rules to ensure that they do this in a way that is in the interests of consumers, including rules around:

data access and privacy
security
technical standards for the smart metering equipment
meeting the needs of vulnerable consumers
Smart meters will be rolled out as standard across the country by the end of 2020. But there is no legal obligation on you to have one.

SnoopZ 10-07-2018 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35953872)
That’s because the U.K. Government has set them targets to install Smart Meters by the end of 2020, and they will be fined if they don’t meet those targets (even though it’s not compulsory for customers to have them...).

Suppliers have been told by the Government to try to install smart meters in all the UK’s 50 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020. If they fail to do enough, they face fines of up to £7 billion.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work

What annoys me is their use of the word 'need' as that simply isn't true.

Quote:

Hello **************

We need to upgrade your electricity and gas meters to our new self-reading smart meters.

Why are we changing your meters?
We need to install smart meters into all of our customers' homes as part of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. The good news is they have great benefits for you:
  • No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically
  • No more estimated bills1
  • See how much energy you're using and what it's costing you, with a helpful in-home display.
Book an appointment to get your meters now. It'll only take a couple of hours to fit your meters, and we'll only need to switch your electricity and gas off for about 30 minutes for each meter. If you don't want smart meters at this time, please call us to let us know.
Yours sincerely
E.ON Smart Meter Team

Hugh 10-07-2018 13:18

What they say is true.

They need you to upgrade (otherwise they will be fined) - you don't need to accept that upgrade... ;)

denphone 10-07-2018 13:31

Quote:

We have had ours for 3 years snoopZ.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35953856)
Hope that helps you Den ;)

They have prescribed me a new controlled pain killer after discussions with the relevant medical professionals nash.

heero_yuy 10-07-2018 17:20

Quote:

Quote from SnoopZ:

I didn't want one but EDF almost insisted. I've been running my own energy monitor unit for back-to-back comparisons as I was suspicious that the unit might be reading VA's (Volts times Amps) rather than real Watts. There's a big difference if you have a lot of LED lighting or fridge / freezer units.

Rest assured that the smart meter I have which is the GE SGC1311 reads real watts to the same accuracy as my NAMAS tracable unit.

The only PITA is the remote monitor keeps resetting and displaying £ used today rather than Watts which are more useful to me.

tweetiepooh 11-07-2018 11:50

Need to wait for the version 2 meters that are not tied to a single supplier. British Gas called me to offer the meters and the lady on the phone insisted they were version 2 but another call to confirm showed that wasn't the case so we cancelled.

papa smurf 13-07-2018 10:35

Just had my buildings insurance quote from hastings for insurance with Axa .
went on confused .com and bought it for 50% of the hastings renewal price ,these people just don't do customer loyalty :mad:

Hom3r 15-07-2018 09:05

My sister told my mum, dad & me that my niece is 1 stone under weight and therfore anorexic, she had been watching what she eats.

Through work my sister has private healthcare and has an apointment with a Dr on Monday, the outcome will decide if my sister has to cancel her holiday in 2 weeks, as she was told that as my niece is anorexic she could have a heart attack on the flight.

The holiday isn't insured, so if she cancels she loses the £2,000 it cost.

But as my nephew said to his mum when told, it's only money and we have each other.

So know I'll do anything to help my sister, and along with my parents pay for a holiday later.

heero_yuy 15-07-2018 09:13

Bent down to get the breakfast stuff out from the fridge and my back went out with an audible clunk. Pain and agony as I tried to straighten up. :(

It's not too bad standing but I can't bend down now. The OH is giving it a massage. Hope it helps.

Stephen 15-07-2018 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35954507)
My sister told my mum, dad & me that my niece is 1 stone under weight and therfore anorexic, she had been watching what she eats.

Through work my sister has private healthcare and has an apointment with a Dr on Monday, the outcome will decide if my sister has to cancel her holiday in 2 weeks, as she was told that as my niece is anorexic she could have a heart attack on the flight.

But as my nephew said to his mum when told, it's only money and we have each other.

So know I'll do anything to help my sister, and along with my parents pay for a holiday later.

Sorry to hear that.

However, not sure how 1 stone under weight means you are anorexic? If that was the case many people would be classed that way, myself included.

But Anorexia is an illness and thought people had to be severely malnourished to be anorexic?

weenie 15-07-2018 13:48

Quote:

Sorry to hear this Hom3r I suspect that your nieces GP will want to determine what is causing your niece to be classed as medically underweight therefore may want to tests etc as many illnesses can make you appear anorexic according to my BMI at the moment I'm overweight but that is all the meds I'm on atm and just a few months ago according to my BMI I would be classed as medically anorexic.

I suspect the GP will want to determine what medical condition is causing this weight loss, fortunately, your niece has a loving and supportive family to help her on her journey to recovery :hugs:

When I'm having difficulty eating or keeping food down as I can be sick quite a lot my GP prescribes me high calorie shakes called fortisip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortisip) maybe your nieces GP may offer these and if not I'm sure you can buy them as I've just googled them and this came up, saying that I would advise that your sister checks with your nieces GP just to check that these would be ok for her to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortisip-Co...ortisip+drinks

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/catalogs...esc&q=fortisip

Hom3r 16-07-2018 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35954560)
Sorry to hear this Hom3r I suspect that your nieces GP will want to determine what is causing your niece to be classed as medically underweight therefore may want to tests etc as many illnesses can make you appear anorexic according to my BMI at the moment I'm overweight but that is all the meds I'm on atm and just a few months ago according to my BMI I would be classed as medically anorexic.

I suspect the GP will want to determine what medical condition is causing this weight loss, fortunately, your niece has a loving and supportive family to help her on her journey to recovery :hugs:

When I'm having difficulty eating or keeping food down as I can be sick quite a lot my GP prescribes me high calorie shakes called fortisip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortisip) maybe your nieces GP may offer these and if not I'm sure you can buy them as I've just googled them and this came up, saying that I would advise that your sister checks with your nieces GP just to check that these would be ok for her to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortisip-Co...ortisip+drinks

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/catalogs...esc&q=fortisip

Thanks. My mum was on Fortisip.

I have just been told that my sister cannot go on holiday, and that my niece is close to being admitted.

Should hopefully find put more later.

The only thing I can do is be there if I get a call for help.

Hom3r 16-07-2018 20:58

The good thing is my niece knows she has a problem.

She's currently been given a diet to follow for 7 days then she goes back to the Drs, I guess it then if they decide what happens next

joglynne 16-07-2018 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35954761)
The good thing is my niece knows she has a problem.

She's currently been given a diet to follow for 7 days then she goes back to the Drs, I guess it then if they decide what happens next

Sorry to hear about your niece Hom3r.

I agree that the most promising thing is that she has acknowledged that she has a problem and seems to want to do something proactive to conquer her eating disorder.

A member of my family was in the same position but refused to see she had a problem. She fought against every thing and everyone insisting that she was OK. In the end she was forced to face her problem and it was several years before she got her eating under control.

nashville 16-07-2018 22:16

So sorry to read about your niece's problems, so worrying for you all, I hope things get sorted out.

Hom3r 19-07-2018 18:17

Quote:

My sister has cancelled her holiday and might get something back.

My nieces GF "R" told my sister that my niece was crying and had download a calorie counting app.

Then yesterday she poured my niece a large glass of full fat milk, then virtually stood over her, to drink it but my neice said "theres no need to stand over me I'll drink it"

A short while later she went into the kitchen and "R" heard the tap go. she ran into the kitchen and my niece has a empty glass and said that she had finished it and was getting some water.

Then "R" challenged here about this and asked if she poured the milk away, my neice said yes, so "R" poured another glass and stood there while she drank it.

I own "R" a huge hug and thanks.

I also think my niece is become a liar and deciteful over this. I only hope she doesn't start making herself sick.

Hom3r 20-07-2018 09:24

Just found out VM is losing Dave and Alibi.

WTF no more Murdoch Mysteries

weenie 20-07-2018 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35955280)
My sister has cancelled her holiday and might get something back.

My nieces GF "R" told my sister that my niece was crying and had download a calorie counting app.

Then yesterday she poured my niece a large glass of full fat milk, then virtually stood over her, to drink it but my neice said "theres no need to stand over me I'll drink it"

A short while later she went into the kitchen and "R" heard the tap go. she ran into the kitchen and my niece has a empty glass and said that she had finished it and was getting some water.

Then "R" challenged here about this and asked if she poured the milk away, my neice said yes, so "R" poured another glass and stood there while she drank it.

I own "R" a huge hug and thanks.

I also think my niece is become a liar and deciteful over this. I only hope she doesn't start making herself sick.

I would imagine that nearly all people with an ED become deceitful, I personally think that is just part of the illness sadly as the person suffering know's family and friends are worried so I suspect rightly or wrongly they think that they are safeguarding the people they care about by trying to reassure them that they have eaten or drank something with high calories or full fat.

I honestly do not think for one minute that your niece is doing this to hurt loved ones as I honestly think your niece and many with ED become deceitful out of love.

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org....d-about-friend

:hugs:

Hom3r 20-07-2018 15:22

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look

weenie 20-07-2018 15:40

Try and not take it personally Hom3r if your niece does tell the odd fib to you and her loved ones like I say I reckon she is only trying to save your feelings as she know's you get hurt if she say's that she has not eaten and she obviously does not want to hurt you hence the white lie.

Hom3r 22-07-2018 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35955470)
Try and not take it personally Hom3r if your niece does tell the odd fib to you and her loved ones like I say I reckon she is only trying to save your feelings as she know's you get hurt if she say's that she has not eaten and she obviously does not want to hurt you hence the white lie.

I saw my Niece and "R" yseterday and gave "R" a hug and thanked her fpr what she's doing.

Walking behind them with my sister we both could see how skinny my niece was.

But she has everyone looking out for her, and ready to kick her up the backside shoud we waver.

She will also gave counciling every Friday PM, which my Brother In-Law will take her to.

weenie 22-07-2018 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35955840)
I saw my Niece and "R" yseterday and gave "R" a hug and thanked her fpr what she's doing.

Walking behind them with my sister we both could see how skinny my niece was.

But she has everyone looking out for her, and ready to kick her up the backside shoud we waver.

She will also gave counciling every Friday PM, which my Brother In-Law will take her to.

I went to counselling and all I can say in regards to my Counsellor she was truly wonderful and I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that that counselling changed my life in more ways than I ever thought was possible, it made me realise many things and change many things in my life all for the better, I basically learned how to say no and enough is enough.

I know I went to counselling for something completely different from your niece but I hope and pray that your niece will find counselling as beneficial as I did Hom3r :hugs:

MalteseFalcon 22-07-2018 14:41

Whilst not having any first hand experience of anorexia, please remember that as much as it is a physical illness, it is also a mental illness. To her, when she is a normal weight for the doctors, she will still feel deep down inside that she is overweight and fat. Counselling will help her deal with the underlying mental side of why she feels she is fat, overweight, gross etc.

All you can do as her family is be there to support her, and remember that comments we might make as a joke to one another, ie calling someone greedy guts in a jesting manner for eating more, could trigger a relapse in her. She will get better, slowly but she will get better. And if she feels that you are pushing her, she will rebel against the treatment.

Stephen 22-07-2018 15:37

Put in my appeal against the PIP decision and it's now gone to tribunal.

However I got the letter 3 weeks ago and still nothing back from the DWP yet. This has now been on going since March. They really do drag their heels. Grrrrr.

denphone 22-07-2018 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35955895)
Put in my appeal against the PIP decision and it's now gone to tribunal.

However I got the letter 3 weeks ago and still nothing back from the DWP yet. This has now been on going since March. They really do drag their heels. Grrrrr.

A tribunal hearing can take up to 6 months Stephen depending on the area and the backlogs the tribunals have in those areas.

Tinky 22-07-2018 19:00

My easy assembly 5 tier shelving rack took more than 4 hours to complete, one cut finger later it's up!

Stephen 22-07-2018 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35955947)
A tribunal hearing can take up to 6 months Stephen depending on the area and the backlogs the tribunals have in those areas.

The DWP haven't even responded yet. I would have thought they had to write to us by now.

denphone 22-07-2018 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35955983)
The DWP haven't even responded yet. I would have thought they had to write to us by now.

My experiences and others are that the system is very slow as the DWP are pretty slow at gathering up all the relevant information before they contact the claimant about the tribunal as it took months for the next door neighbour to hear from them and get a date for his tribunal hearing.

Stephen 22-07-2018 19:53

To be honest I was hoping it wouldn't get that far. I was only 2 points away from getting it.

denphone 22-07-2018 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35956001)
To be honest I was hoping it wouldn't get that far. I was only 2 points away from getting it.

This is a very useful site for helping claimants with advice as it cost a little bit to join but its well worth it.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Mr K 22-07-2018 20:30

I wish my allotment had a water supply, this summer has been a challenge ! Good year for raspberries and courgettes though - is there a recipe that includes both ? If so, would I want to eat it? ;)

Hugh 22-07-2018 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35956020)
I wish my allotment had a water supply, this summer has been a challenge ! Good year for raspberries and courgettes though - is there a recipe that includes both ? If so, would I want to eat it? ;)

https://linwoodshealthfoods.com/uk/r...stachio-slice/

nashville 23-07-2018 10:52

I decided to put Weed And Feed on my garden Lawn, Silly me did not spread it evenly, now a have bare horrible patches, Any good gardeners out there with advice .

Mr K 23-07-2018 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35956038)

Actually that doesn't look bad ! might have a go. Only uses one courgettte though, i've got about 70 !

Hom3r 23-07-2018 18:49

Rant ON

Poxy police, My 25 min journey home was a nightmare.

50 minutes to get down a road towards a roundabout where I needed to turn left, (This rounabout alway snarls up, and traffic was note to tail in both directions) but I managed to take a right turn to bypass all this traffic and approach the roundabound from another side, as I got to the roundabout I just needed to go accross, but no, It was closed because idiot crashed and was having the roof removed.

So I had to go back the way I came in the wrong direction.

I passed to two cop cars with two cops in each, why weren't out directing traffic and stopping people approaching from where I came from, Perhaps a cold car with AC was better that 32c heat.

So got hone 1 hour late.

Rant off

Mr K 23-07-2018 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35956173)
Rant ON

Poxy police, My 25 min journey home was a nightmare.

50 minutes to get down a road towards a roundabout where I needed to turn left, (This rounabout alway snarls up, and traffic was note to tail in both directions) but I managed to take a right turn to bypass all this traffic and approach the roundabound from another side, as I got to the roundabout I just needed to go accross, but no, It was closed because idiot crashed and was having the roof removed.

So I had to go back the way I came in the wrong direction.

I passed to two cop cars with two cops in each, why weren't out directing traffic and stopping people approaching from where I came from, Perhaps a cold car with AC was better that 32c heat.

So got hone 1 hour late.

Rant off

Better than the 'idiot' who might not be going home at all.

Stuart 24-07-2018 16:52

Last week, I needed to pick up some medication from my local Boots. Stupidly, I had put in the prescription request on the Saturday on the assumption they'd have it in stock. They said come in on Monday, so come Monday evening, I rushed to the station. Only to have my train delayed. Tuesday, same. Wednesday same, and so on.

Unfortunately, I was busy last week at work, so taking the morning or afternoon off wasn't an option, and apparently I couldn't just move the prescription to a chemist near work (it wouldn't have been a Boots as the local Boots does not have a pharmacy). Thanks to the wonderful SouthEastern, I was only able to get my medication on the next Saturday. Luckily it wasn't anything really important..

Hom3r 25-07-2018 19:00

31°C in my office all day.

In my area it could hit 36°C.

Sod that, I have booked Friday off and if it rain I'll be standing out in in in my shorts

Mr_love_monkey 25-07-2018 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35956493)
if it rain I'll be standing out in in in my shorts

Is that so you can hide the urine stains? :)

Mr K 25-07-2018 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey (Post 35956504)
Is that so you can hide the urine stains? :)

Someone always has to lower the tone ! ( if that's possible;) )

denphone 25-07-2018 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35956513)
Someone always has to lower the tone ! ( if that's possible;) )

Naughty naughty..:naughty::naughty:

denphone 30-07-2018 20:47

Sadly l have been admitted to hospital with worsening abdominal and back pain and they are going to be doing a CT scan sometime tomorrow.:(

nashville 30-07-2018 21:13

I am so sorry to hear this Den, I hope you get things sorted out ASAP, Take Care, Thinking of you, Nash

1andrew1 30-07-2018 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35957344)
Sadly l have been admitted to hospital with worsening abdominal and back pain and they are going to be doing a CT scan sometime tomorrow.:(

So sorry to hear this Den, I wish you all the best for tomorrow. :)

joglynne 30-07-2018 21:55

@ den, hope the scan goes well tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. xx

Tinky 31-07-2018 07:56

Quote:

Sorry to hear this Den, hope everything goes well for you. :hugs:

I've got dentist this AM :erm:

heero_yuy 31-07-2018 09:56

@den, @Tinky. Best of luck guys.

My Moan: I thought I'd fixed the leak in my rainwater butt and was going to have lots of nice rainwater for my plants. Turns out my fix has been split off by the pressure and no water. :(

I'll have to try and put a patch on the inside, trouble is to get to the leak I have to get right inside the butt. Hope I don't get stuck. :erm:

papa smurf 31-07-2018 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35957403)
@den, @Tinky. Best of luck guys.

My Moan: I thought I'd fixed the leak in my rainwater butt and was going to have lots of nice rainwater for my plants. Turns out my fix has been split off by the pressure and no water. :(

I'll have to try and put a patch on the inside, trouble is to get to the leak I have to get right inside the butt. Hope I don't get stuck. :erm:

:disturbd: I'm trying so hard not to say something naughty :disturbd:

heero_yuy 31-07-2018 11:43

Oh gosh, did I really, innocently say that? :dunce:

Rummaged around and found a tub of "plumbers mait" non-setting mastic. A good dollup on the inside over the crack and perhaps a reinforing piece of cloth spread with the same might do the job.

nashville 31-07-2018 11:53

Talking about leaks I have discovered a small one underneath my bathroom sink, problem is it is attached to a unit, does not seem to be anything lose, worried sick about it, incase we have to renew the whole unit,

papa smurf 31-07-2018 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35957418)
Oh gosh, did I really, innocently say that? :dunce:

Rummaged around and found a tub of "plumbers mait" non-setting mastic. A good dollup on the inside over the crack and perhaps a reinforing piece of cloth spread with the same might do the job.

There's only one thing i can think of that will fix the problem .

a new water barrel ;)

heero_yuy 31-07-2018 14:39

I'm giving a repair another shot: Cut a circle of HD polythene, spread the mastic over it and then with a couple of made up tools have fitted it inside over the crack and rollered it down with a small wallpaper joint roller taped on the end of a stout cane. The mastic has completely covered the polythene to the edges. Looks like it might do the job.

If it still leaks then it's a new one. :(

nashville 31-07-2018 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35957443)
I'm giving a repair another shot: Cut a circle of HD polythene, spread the mastic over it and then with a couple of made up tools have fitted it inside over the crack and rollered it down with a small wallpaper joint roller taped on the end of a stout cane. The mastic has completely covered the polythene to the edges. Looks like it might do the job.

If it still leaks then it's a new one. :(

Looking at it again I discovered that the rubber seal is broken, so hopefully that can be replaced. Thanks hero. ;)

Hom3r 31-07-2018 20:43

1 mile from work this morning and the heavens opened and its was stair rod rain, on max my wipers weren't catching up.

Got to work and as usual it floodedin 3 areas.

arcimedes 01-08-2018 07:07

New chair delivered yesterday after the obligatory 3 month wait after ordering it. Footstool brought in. Delivery man goes to assemble rest of chair. Comes back into house and removes footstool. Chair has been found to be heavily damaged when carton is opened.

Now waiting for news on how long replacement will take to come.

heero_yuy 01-08-2018 09:11

Quote:

Quote from nashville:

Looking at it again I discovered that the rubber seal is broken, so hopefully that can be replaced. Thanks hero. ;)
Even if you can't get a new rubber seal the non-setting mastic that I mentioned can be used to gum up the joint and stop a leak. Its designed for use on the joint at the rear of the toilet or rainwater pipes.

The stuff I have is in a small tub but it probably also comes in one of those tubes that you put in a "gun".

nashville 01-08-2018 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35957551)
Even if you can't get a new rubber seal the non-setting mastic that I mentioned can be used to gum up the joint and stop a leak. Its designed for use on the joint at the rear of the toilet or rainwater pipes.

The stuff I have is in a small tub but it probably also comes in one of those tubes that you put in a "gun".

Thanks for your help. ;)

tweetiepooh 01-08-2018 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35957510)
1 mile from work this morning and the heavens opened and its was stair rod rain, on max my wipers weren't catching up.

Had that a couple of occasions - time to pull over and wait for it to stop/ease.

weenie 01-08-2018 17:10

Quote:

Thinking of you den :hugs:

denphone 01-08-2018 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35957614)
Thinking of you den :hugs:

Just got back home after being discharged from hospital and their probable diagnosis for the excruciating back , hip and abdominal pain which l had for nearly a week was that my Spinal stenosis had got worse thus l to see the specialist again as soon as they can arrange it.

For the meanwhile they are putting me on a controlled pain drug.

Thank you everybody for all your kind wishes.

joglynne 01-08-2018 20:22

Glad you are back home den. <<hugs>>

denphone 01-08-2018 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35957661)
Glad you are back home den. <<hugs>>

Thanks jo as its never nice being in hospital as many of us know.

joglynne 01-08-2018 20:30

Hopefully what they have found will be fixable den. Fingers crossed.

denphone 02-08-2018 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35957668)
Hopefully what they have found will be fixable den. Fingers crossed.

Sadly it won't be Jo as having a long term heart condition and other medical comorbidities makes having a operation/operations extremely risky.

nashville 02-08-2018 07:14

Glad you are back home Den. I hope your new drugs will help you, I have just got out of bed early this morning as I have same problem with my spine, I have been on several different tablets over the years. I had an Op in 2004". But not a very successful one ,
Take care Den and good luck with the new tablet
Nash

Tinky 02-08-2018 07:30

Den and Nash :hugs:

Mr K 02-08-2018 07:43

Get better soon Den. I was totally incapacitated by back pain a couple of months ago, not nice. It has gradually got better, be prepared to do a lot of boring exercises and make demands/ annoy the crap out of anyone that lives with you ;) At least the cricket's on.....

weenie 02-08-2018 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35957707)
Sadly it won't be Jo as having a long term heart condition and other medical comorbidities makes having a operation/operations extremely risky.

Thoughts and prayers with you den :hugs:

raging bull 02-08-2018 12:03

Just be aware Den that some of the 'controlled pain meds are lethal'!
Pink elephants and bowel blocks are a common side effect on some.
Just take it slowly when new meds are introduced.
(Another pain sufferer)

Mr K 02-08-2018 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35957744)
Just be aware Den that some of the 'controlled pain meds are lethal'!
Pink elephants and bowel blocks are a common side effect on some.
Just take it slowly when new meds are introduced.
(Another pain sufferer)

I'd stay away from Diazepam. A couple of those did take me to another planet. However it was a planet that still had pain and where the windows on my house were in all the wrong places, and the floor suddenly became vertical..... Didn't take any more of those...

raging bull 02-08-2018 14:08

Pregabalin,tramadol plus the obvious morphine patches are all on my unwanted list!

peanut 02-08-2018 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35957762)
Pregabalin,tramadol plus the obvious morphine patches are all on my unwanted list!

I agree. After taking morphine for over 2.5 years, 4-5 times daily, I finally managed to come off it. It was one of the worse experiences of my life coming off of it. But I had no choice going on it in the first place and have to say it probably saved my life.

If using opiate painkillers regularly, then take Docusates and Macrogols to keep things moving.

denphone 02-08-2018 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35957712)
Get better soon Den. I was totally incapacitated by back pain a couple of months ago, not nice. It has gradually got better, be prepared to do a lot of boring exercises and make demands/ annoy the crap out of anyone that lives with you ;) At least the cricket's on.....

Thanks Mr K as the trouble with my back and hips is when my main condition Dilated Cardiomyopathy was diagnosed l was on a very strong steroid drug for a fair period as l was very seriously ill but there was a fair chance years down the line that l would develop bone deterioration but the choice between staying alive then and having bone problems years down the line then there is only one choice frankly.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35957762)

l am on tapentadol now so l will see how it goes.

Mr K 02-08-2018 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35957784)
Thanks Mr K as the trouble with my back and hips is when my main condition Dilated Cardiomyopathy was diagnosed l was on a very strong steroid drug for a fair period as l was very seriously ill but there was a fair chance years down the line that l would develop bone deterioration but the choice between staying alive then and having bone problems years down the line then there is only one choice frankly.

Utter sympathy Den. My Dad had similar problems, Heart issues, then steroids, then osteoporosis as a result of the steroids. Here's hoping they develop some new drugs/ solution for you. Things can change in medicine.

joglynne 02-08-2018 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone >>
Stii hope that something can be worked out den. I never believed I would get to a point where I am starting to feel more optimistic about the future.

I too was on very high dosage steroids which kept me alive when my Immune System was doing it's dangist to kill me. The steroids left me with Diabetes and a damaged heart, kidney problems - now sorted, horrendous weight gain and osteoporosis . It's taken 12 years to get things under a semblance of control and I live in fear of things getting out of control again and having to have that drug again. I hate that savage drug even though it saved my life.

denphone 03-08-2018 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35957838)
Stii hope that something can be worked out den. I never believed I would get to a point where I am starting to feel more optimistic about the future.

I too was on very high dosage steroids which kept me alive when my Immune System was doing it's dangist to kill me. The steroids left me with Diabetes and a damaged heart, kidney problems - now sorted, horrendous weight gain and osteoporosis . It's taken 12 years to get things under a semblance of control and I live in fear of things getting out of control again and having to have that drug again. I hate that savage drug even though it saved my life.

Thanks jo as yes l just take each day as it comes and have always tried to be positive as l think that helps a awful lot when one is fighting battles on a regular basis.

l am just glad that you feel in a much better place now jo that you did before as l can certainly totally understand how hard it must have been for you through those tough moments.

weenie 05-08-2018 15:03

My son had his induction yesterday and things are not what we originally thought.

Right here goes.

Sunday -17:00-21:00, Thursday 17:00-21:00, Friday 17:00-21:00, Saturday 17:00-21:00 these will be his core hours.
Availability window outwith core hours-Monday 17:00-21:00, Tuesday 17:00-22:00, Wednesday 17:00-21:00 and Saturday 09:00-22:00.

Unfortunately, he got his pay wrong as the pay was for the premium rate but he is still quite happy as his pay is atm £7.62, this is slightly higher for the weekend shifts plus in November his basic pay rises to £8.42. Working out his hourly rate atm for his hours his pay is £7.87 which is still good for a 16-year-old.

He has accepted his contact and it's a Flexi contract.

As his parents, this new Flexi contract that he accepted yesterday concerned us slightly as it is our understanding they can get him in on his availability window and can discipline him as if he refused to work within his availability window, we are hoping this is not the case.

We discussed our concerns with him and being only 16 he did not realise that he could be disciplined for refusal of his availability window this is what comes across to us as it states and I quote "The company needs you to maintain the flexibility you have specified if you are consistently unable to work you flexible addition hours when you have been asked to this may be considered a breach of you contract of employment and could result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal" and on that note we have advised him he needs day's off and when he goes in today to ask them to explain what a Flexi contract entails and if our suspicions are correct then ask if he can complete an updated availability sheet with the removal the Tuesday and Wednesday timeframe, I really hope that they understand that he has no understanding of contracts for this error and don't sack him before he has a chance to prove himself.

Does anyone think this is bad advice in him asking if he can complete an updated availability sheet any feedback will be most welcome as atm I'm a very worried Mum but not showing my concerns to my youngest?

PS our eldest thinks they will/should change this as yes it's his brother's error but at the same time they should take into account his age and his inexperience in the working environment, I really hope he is right in his views.

pip08456 05-08-2018 16:09

Hi weenie.

Looking at the words used in you post I presume you are north of the border.:D

Reading what you have said and looking at the hours I'm guessing that your son is entering the retail industry. I could be wrong.

Can you let me know before I comment further?

I'll be back later tonight.

weenie 05-08-2018 16:18

Yes we live in Scotland and he has just started at Tesco yesterday interview for the job was last Tuesday and it was meant to be Saturday and Sunday then yesterday he was told the job is on a flexi contract we did not know this as he applied himself and did not ask our opinion on what he was applying for the trouble is he is staying on at school to do highers then hopefully off to Uni.

I'm hoping Tesco will not hold him to his available hours just his core hours during exams.

This is what concerns me The company needs you to maintain the flexibility you have specified if you are consistently unable to work you flexible addition hours when you have been asked to this may be considered a breach of you contract of employment and could result in disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

SnoopZ 05-08-2018 16:37

He maybe better off taking the other job closer to home if the hours are better suited.

Does this link have any baring on what ours a 16 year old can legally work?

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/...ild-employment

weenie 05-08-2018 16:47

The trouble is he wants Tesco and is leaving the worrying to us parents lol

I agree with hindsight the Home Bargains one would be better suited in many ways but the pay swung it for him tbh

pip08456 05-08-2018 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35958265)

I agree with hindsight the Home Bargains one would be better suited in many ways but the pay swung it for him tbh

I'll be meeting an ex Tesco and current Tesco emplyees (all friends) in about an hour for a drink.

I'll pick their brains for more info and get back later.

I have an idea what they are going to say but will not pre-empt it.

weenie 05-08-2018 17:10

Thank you Pip

SnoopZ 05-08-2018 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35958265)

Did you check the link regarding legal working hours for a 16 year old?

weenie 05-08-2018 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35958276)
Did you check the link regarding legal working hours for a 16 year old?

Once someone reaches 16

Young workers aged 16 to 17 are entitled to at least £4.20 per hour.

If you’re a registered employer, you’ll need to record and report their pay as part of running payroll. If they earn more than £116 a week, you’ll also need to do other regular PAYE tasks like making deductions.

Before their next payday, collect information from them for PAYE. If they started work for you in the previous tax year, put their start date as 5 April in your payroll software. Record their pay for the current tax year only.

His take-home pay will be £125.82 this includes #Sunday premium so I have a really bad feeling that unless he has a really understanding manager then he will just need to the additional hours' atm if and when required, that is unless Pip can advise otherwise.

On the way to his work tonight we advised him to keep quite atm but at the same time test the water and ask other employees his age or students and see if the store allows you to refuse your additional during the study periods.

In a way, it's our fault he has seen his Dad all his life work night shift, overtime then he has witnessed his big brother work since he was 16 while at school then at Uni, then he witnessed me work and take every bit of overtime I could get until I became too ill to work. When he was applying for job's all three of us said to do the hours and say he would be willing to work overtime if and when required as we had never heard of a Flexi contract until now and when he put additional hours down he assumed that was day's he could do overtime as this was not explained to him, it was not until he came home and told us he was on a flexi contract and once I looked into it my heart just sank at the wording it was then I pointed out to him that it comes across that Tesco will expect him to work his flexible addition hours.

On googling this contract and Tesco it does seem a bit of a hit and miss as some say while studying they were allowed to refuse and on the other side, some are saying that they were told if they refuse they will face disciplinary action.

I think his best option atm is to go with the flow and join the union then if he is being forced to do these additional hours during exams then he contacts his union rep and tells them that his circumstances have changed and see what his options are, surely Tesco understands this when they employ 16-year-olds and will allow him to refuse his flexible addition hours during exam time after all do most workplaces nowadays not constantly state about work-life and balance surely they will allow a fixed shift pattern during exam time for the working students they employ I know Sainsbury's does.

I may be worrying over nothing only time will tell