Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The energy crisis (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710394)

1andrew1 12-01-2022 23:59

Re: Energy companies collapse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36109175)
Why unfortunately?

I suspect TimeLord2018 misread 'reshore' as 'offshore'.

tweetiepooh 13-01-2022 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36109102)
Not much, the fixed costs (like insurance) are still the same.

On the other hand, the home "office" has to be heated, and uses more electricity for lighting, computers, network etc.
Plus some people will have to upgrade their home insurance to cover WFH.

We haven't changed our heating since working from home so that bill has only gone up when I need a burst of heat but well insulated home should hold a lot of heat. Power for a laptop and a couple of monitors is minimal and insurance shouldn't change much. You are not conducting a business from home, you don't need to insure your companies kit and being at home more make less likely to be targeted surely?

Petrol is a big cost and why waste it spending extra couple of hours a day to drive to an office to join Webex for colleagues in other offices?

But it's nationally we need to get usage down. A problem now is that companies are opening offices but many staff are working from home. So they are using energy to heat/light space that is minimally used.

Electricity generation should have been mostly nuclear/renewable by now leaving gas (especially) for domestic use where it's harder to change. But we also have to think globally. Other nations also want fuel and energy and have growing classes also wanting "what we have".

Finally to petro companies still flame off gas because it's too difficult to deal with? Why? That should be stopped.

Mad Max 13-01-2022 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36109192)
We haven't changed our heating since working from home so that bill has only gone up when I need a burst of heat but well insulated home should hold a lot of heat. Power for a laptop and a couple of monitors is minimal and insurance shouldn't change much. You are not conducting a business from home, you don't need to insure your companies kit and being at home more make less likely to be targeted surely?

Petrol is a big cost and why waste it spending extra couple of hours a day to drive to an office to join Webex for colleagues in other offices?

But it's nationally we need to get usage down. A problem now is that companies are opening offices but many staff are working from home. So they are using energy to heat/light space that is minimally used.

Electricity generation should have been mostly nuclear/renewable by now leaving gas (especially) for domestic use where it's harder to change. But we also have to think globally. Other nations also want fuel and energy and have growing classes also wanting "what we have".

Finally to petro companies still flame off gas because it's too difficult to deal with? Why? That should be stopped.

It's to stop possible explosions occurring, it's called flaring.

RichardCoulter 13-01-2022 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36109013)
But if you work from home you will need the heating on, if your working from the office your home heating would be off in many cases.

Working from home attracts tax relief. My accountant told me that I only have to work from home for at least one day in any tax year to qualify.

Chris 13-01-2022 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36109286)
Working from home attracts tax relief. My accountant told me that I only have to work from home for at least one day in any tax year to qualify.

It does. You do have to submit yourself to the annual inconvenience of submitting a self-assessment tax return but it’s worth it. You can claim tax relief on a number of home office expenses (unless your employer is paying those expenses to you of course). You can also claim for wear and tear and additional insurance costs. My taxable income was reduced by just under £1,000 last year by this means.

TheDaddy 13-01-2022 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36109288)
It does. You do have to submit yourself to the annual inconvenience of submitting a self-assessment tax return but it’s worth it. You can claim tax relief on a number of home office expenses (unless your employer is paying those expenses to you of course). You can also claim for wear and tear and additional insurance costs. My taxable income was reduced by just under £1,000 last year by this means.

You can probably do that for PAYE to, I do for other things most years but haven't bothered for the last couple, saving them up!

My father in law got his electric and gas bill for the last 18 months today, £10 000 :shocked: goodness knows what it'll be in the next eighteen months and it certainly puts my up to 20 quid a month rise in to perspective :(

peanut 13-01-2022 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36109291)
You can probably do that for PAYE to, I do for other things most years but haven't bothered for the last couple, saving them up!

My father in law got his electric and gas bill for the last 18 months today, £10 000 :shocked: goodness knows what it'll be in the next eighteen months and it certainly puts my up to 20 quid a month rise in to perspective :(

It must cost quite a lot to heat that indoor swimming pool. :confused::shocked:

Chris 13-01-2022 18:39

How the heck can his bills be that high? Is he heating an open-air swimming pool? :Yikes:

TheDaddy 13-01-2022 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36109293)
How the heck can his bills be that high? Is he heating an open-air swimming pool? :Yikes:

It's £550 odd a month by my reckoning, they do use a lot of gas and electric but this is before the rises have really kicked in, father in law is quite blasé about it but I think I'm going to get his daughter on the case, it's her inheritance after all!

Itshim 13-01-2022 19:28

Quote:

Its what accountants are for. :D

1andrew1 15-01-2022 18:56

Quote:

UK homes face fresh energy pain with price cap set to hit £2,400 this year

The calculation by energy consultancy EnAppSys for the Financial Times underlines that the country’s looming cost-of-living crisis is likely to be protracted as wholesale gas prices continue to trade at historically high levels.

The price cap, introduced in 2019 to protect the bills of roughly 15m households who do not opt for fixed-price deals, is already set to rise by more than 50 per cent in April to £2,000 a year from £1,277, based on average usage.

Ofgem, the energy market regulator, sets the level of the cap twice a year with the next change after April’s due in October. Using the latest market pricing, EnAppSys estimates that later this year the cap could hit between £2,300 and £2,400, unless the government and regulator intervene to relieve pressure on consumers.
Google the headline to read the article free, or visit https://www.ft.com/content/d246f8b4-...1-7779acc5efd7

joglynne 18-01-2022 20:11

Together Energy Retail has stopped trading, affecting 176,000 households.

Quote:

Together Energy Retail, which has about 176,000 domestic customers, was part-owned by Warrington Borough Council.

The council, which spent £18m on a 50% stake in the firm in 2019, said it was "disappointed" the firm had gone under, but defended its investment decision.

Ofgem said a new supplier would be found for the company's customers and that energy supply would continue.

A total of 28 energy suppliers, mostly smaller firms, have stopped trading in the UK since August, affecting millions of customers.

In a statement on its website, Together Energy said the "sustained increase in wholesale prices and the securities required to continue to forward purchase the energy", made the firm's situation "untenable".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60038685

1andrew1 18-01-2022 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36110150)
Together Energy Retail has stopped trading, affecting 176,000 households.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60038685

Sorry for everyone affected, but ridiculous for a council to invest so much money in an energy supplier.

papa smurf 18-01-2022 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36110161)
Sorry for everyone affected, but ridiculous for a council to invest so much money in an energy supplier.

Our council invested in Icelandic banks and that didn't end well.

1andrew1 18-01-2022 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36110177)
Our council invested in Icelandic banks and that didn't end well.

I think that was slightly different as they were on a panel of approved banks for councils to put their cash in. Not a 50% stake in a commercial company.

1andrew1 28-01-2022 09:34

Interesting to read how much gas the UK is actually exporting!
https://twitter.com/_richardblack/st...21893277134849

RichardCoulter 28-01-2022 11:07

Quote:

I'm on Self Assessment anyway due to my business and investment interests, my accountant sorts it all out.

nomadking 28-01-2022 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111433)
Interesting to read how much gas the UK is actually exporting!
https://twitter.com/_richardblack/st...21893277134849

So when did the UK run out of gas?
The UK only depends on Russia for 3% of gas, Western Europe relies on 40%. They are the ones with the bigger problem.

Carth 28-01-2022 14:33

We haven't 'run out' of gas, but it's sold to those who will pay more than the UK to have it ;)

Hugh 28-01-2022 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36111464)
So when did the UK run out of gas?
The UK only depends on Russia for 3% of gas, Western Europe relies on 40%. They are the ones with the bigger problem.

Unless, of course, Europe (Norway, Netherlands, & Belgium) decides to use the 35% of our gas supply they export to us, or if the price of wholescale gas escalates even further due to sanctions on Russia...

Chris 28-01-2022 14:51

I don't think the Tweeter in question was quite arguing over whether we may or may not run out of gas. Rather he was interested in the argument that the present high wholesale prices don't justify further exploration or exploitation, because they would still be sold on a global market and would not be dedicated to the UK and capable of giving us much lower prices than anywhere else.

I think his argument falls down a bit because if we were able to significantly increase the commodity available in the market then the global price would come down; plus, natural resources extracted from the UK do generate income for the treasury. So it's not quite as black and white as all that.

Hugh 28-01-2022 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111468)
We haven't 'run out' of gas, but it's sold to those who will pay more than the UK to have it ;)

Unfortunately, not that simple.

We exported around 1 TWh of natural gas, but imported around 478 TWh of natural gas (pages 4 and 5 of attached document).

https://assets.publishing.service.go...atural_gas.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.go.../DUKES_4.5.xls

Carth 28-01-2022 14:57

How much was the exported price?
How much was the imported price?

;)

Hugh 28-01-2022 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111479)
How much was the exported price?
How much was the imported price?

;)

Come on! It's the UK - we probably sold it for half of what it cost to import... :D

(pretty sure we didn't sell it for nearly 500 times the import cost.. ;))

Damien 28-01-2022 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36109291)

Just catching up on this thread. Did you ever find out what this was?

Taf 29-01-2022 10:34

Our forced move to Scottish Power is now complete. Based on the past 2 years' consumption, we'll be paying around £45 per year more, but the DD is staying at £92 pm due to the transferred credit of £240.

The April change of the cap will be painful though.

TheDaddy 30-01-2022 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111481)
Just catching up on this thread. Did you ever find out what this was?

Got a horrible feeling the more I thought about it and did crude calculations that it's right! I will look into it for them as the partners health isn't great and she finds their lack of concern about it/ lack of will to change their ways exasperating, as do I tbf but then they're not my parents!

Jaymoss 30-01-2022 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111653)
Got a horrible feeling the more I thought about it and did crude calculations that it's right! I will look into it for them as the partners health isn't great and she finds their lack of concern about it/ lack of will to change their ways exasperating, as do I tbf but then they're not my parents!

that is an insane amount of consumption though

£555 a month
£18 a day
Which equates if just electric to 90 Kwh a day consumption

Chris 30-01-2022 16:27

Maybe check what they’ve got in the attic. Do they spend an unusually large amount on compost bags as well?

Jaymoss 30-01-2022 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36111659)
Maybe check what they’ve got in the attic. Do they spend an unusually large amount on compost bags as well?

an 8 plant grow only costs about £250 in energy for the full grow so even if it was a farm it would struggle to cost that much unless it was maxing out the house electrics hahahaha

so I been told haha

Mad Max 30-01-2022 16:47

:devsmoke:

Jimmy-J 30-01-2022 18:26

We've just had our £140 Warm Home Discount, I make sure we apply for it before the end of September each year.

Mad Max 30-01-2022 18:30

£200 here in Scotland.

TheDaddy 30-01-2022 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36111658)
that is an insane amount of consumption though

£555 a month
£18 a day
Which equates if just electric to 90 Kwh a day consumption

Yes that's my crude calculation to, ama zing isn't it, they do so many daft things, you wouldn't believe they were doctors not that long ago

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36111659)

No but there's rooms they've not been in for years that they're heating, having the window open and the heating on, having the hot water on all day and then not having a bath, so much stuff they do boggles my mind and there's so much more they do on top of that, I will check it out but I wouldn't be shocked if I come away without a discount

Paul 30-01-2022 21:17

I'm curious why they didnt get a bill for 18 months ? that seems a huge gap.

Damien 30-01-2022 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111684)
Yes that's my crude calculation to, ama zing isn't it, they do so many daft things, you wouldn't believe they were doctors not that long ago

No but there's rooms they've not been in for years that they're heating, having the window open and the heating on, having the hot water on all day and then not having a bath, so much stuff they do boggles my mind and there's so much more they do on top of that, I will check it out but I wouldn't be shocked if I come away without a discount

Maybe electric heaters as well?

TheDaddy 30-01-2022 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36111685)
I'm curious why they didnt get a bill for 18 months ? that seems a huge gap.

I do intend to ask that question to

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111690)
Maybe electric heaters as well?

Definitely, one of them is all but housebound now and stays down stairs with one on all day and night, I say to her she's not getting the benefit as there is usually something in between it and her but it's like banging your head against a poorly insulated wall, I am going to have to ring on their behalf soon as although they're very blasé now, this is pre the massive price rises

Inactive Digital 31-01-2022 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111701)

There's a law that prevents energy companies from back-billing more than 12 months if the customer is not at fault for the billing delay. It could save you a sizeable amount of what's been requested.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ce-from-today/

TheDaddy 31-01-2022 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36111707)
There's a law that prevents energy companies from back-billing more than 12 months if the customer is not at fault for the billing delay. It could save you a sizeable amount of what's been requested.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ce-from-today/

Brilliant, thanks a lot

RichardCoulter 31-01-2022 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111701)

Definitely, one of them is all but housebound now and stays down stairs with one on all day and night, I say to her she's not getting the benefit as there is usually something in between it and her but it's like banging your head against a poorly insulated wall, I am going to have to ring on their behalf soon as although they're very blasé now, this is pre the massive price rises

Try not to make any snide comments about her or her disability- this is likely to create a barrier between you both and you won't get anywhere.

TheDaddy 31-01-2022 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111715)
Try not to make any snide comments about her or her disability- this is likely to create a barrier between you both and you won't get anywhere.

Try to mind your own business, I'm not interested in anything you have to say on this or anything else

RichardCoulter 31-01-2022 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111717)
Try to mind your own business, I'm not interested in anything you have to say on this or anything else

This is exactly the sort of attitude that I fear you will be adopting with the lady in question. Your treatment and attitude towards those with disabilities is well documented, hopefully the fact that you will be speaking to your partners mother will encourage you to speak to her in a respectful and empathetic manner.

I wish you luck, as it does sound like a horrendous amount they are spending on energy.

TheDaddy 31-01-2022 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111719)
This is exactly the sort of attitude that I fear you will be adopting with the lady in question. Your treatment and attitude towards those with disabilities is well documented, hopefully the fact that you will be speaking to your partners mother will encourage you to speak to her in a respectful and empathetic manner.

I wish you luck, as it does sound like a horrendous amount they are spending on energy.

Yes my treatment of people with disabilities is well documented on here, Jefferson was one of my oldest and closest friends. My treatment towards you is nothing to do with disabilities, it's just I find you deeply unpleasant, as do most users of this forum

RichardCoulter 31-01-2022 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111720)
Yes my treatment of people with disabilities is well documented on here, Jefferson was one of my oldest and closest friends. My treatment towards you is nothing to do with disabilities, it's just I find you deeply unpleasant, as do most users of this forum

Nonsense. A quick look at both our previous posts shows the exact opposite of your ascertation. You were recently accused by admin of having an immature disposition, which I have now witnessed for myself

TheDaddy 31-01-2022 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111721)
Nonsense. A quick look at both our previous posts shows the exact opposite of your ascertation. You were recently accused by admin of having an immature disposition, which I have now witnessed for myself

What's nonsense, that Jefferson and I were friends or that most users of this forum find you unpleasant?

Inactive Digital 31-01-2022 08:38

For anyone who like me was transferred to British Gas when their supplier went bust or is with them through choice, I did a live chat with them last week and have switched to their HomeEnergy Secure June 2023 tariff. It's is actually a few pounds per month cheaper than the price cap and, as the name suggests, is fixed until June next year so I'm protected against the expected rises in the price cap.

SnoopZ 31-01-2022 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111720)

I'm glad someone had the balls to speak the truth.

RichardCoulter 31-01-2022 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36111722)
What's nonsense, that Jefferson and I were friends or that most users of this forum find you unpleasant?

The whole of your post is nonsense.

The old "It's not because you're black/gay/disabled/female etc (delete as appropriate), it's because I don't like you defense has been tried, and failed, for years, as has the "I can't be ableist because I had a disabled friend/those I know are OK" proclamations.

Anyway, rather than waste time on this, I suggest that you spend some time thinking about the tone and vocabulary that you are going to use when speaking to your mother in law.

As someone of advancing years with a disability and obviously female, she may well find your advice (however well intentioned) to be patronising and interference into her personal financial affairs.

You are going to have to be very careful how you handle this. In fact, your apparent poor social/interaction skills may only serve to make matters worse by causing family rifts. Thinking about it, it's probably a better idea for your partner to broach the subject.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36111725)
[/B]

I'm glad someone had the balls to speak the truth.

So you thought it would be a good idea to do some shit stirring about a sensitive subject? Really?

You have absolutely nothing to support your allegation that this is the definitive truth and are either simply trolling or, for reasons that aren't difficult to work out, are purposely trying to cause upset and unpleasantness for a severely disabled member of this forum.

Carth 31-01-2022 10:13

irony meter went off the scale reading that . . . .

Halcyon 31-01-2022 11:37

Anyway, back on topic....

Do you think the government is going ot step in to stop the constant price hikes?

papa smurf 31-01-2022 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36111748)

Do you think the government is going ot step in to stop the constant price hikes?

They could cut out vat and the green levy but i doubt they will.

1andrew1 31-01-2022 11:50

Quote:

Energy costs are largely influenced by global prices, though the UK's lack of gas storage has kept energy prices more volatile than some other countries. So if the UK government said no price rises to energy suppliers, they would go out of business.

Expect a new price cap on 7th February with some limited assistance to those most in need.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111752)

Agreed. Also most of the so-called green levy goes to pay things like the winter fuel allowance for pensioners so if it was cut then how would these benefits be funded?

papa smurf 31-01-2022 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111754)
Energy costs are largely influenced by global prices, though the UK's lack of gas storage has kept energy prices more volatile than some other countries. So if the UK government said no price rises to energy suppliers, they would go out of business.

Expect a new price cap on 7th February with some limited assistance to those most in need.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Agreed. Also most of the so-called green levy goes to pay things like the winter fuel allowance for pensioners so if it was cut then how would these benefits be funded?

Do you have a link to that, I can't find any info on how it's funded.

1andrew1 31-01-2022 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111760)
Do you have a link to that, I can't find any info on how it's funded.

It's on the Ofcom site, the government regulator.

For a dual fuel customer, the environmental/social obligation costs comprise 15.33% of the bill. See https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publication...es-and-profits

What are the environmental/social obligations?
See https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environment...social-schemes

Halcyon 31-01-2022 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36111752)

If anyone is going to get help it will be the poorest of people, which fair enough is needed, but other people who are not swimming in money and have families to feed are also going to struggle but will get burger all becuase we earn slightly more than the capped rate for receiving benefits.

RichardCoulter 31-01-2022 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111765)
It's on the Ofcom site, the government regulator.

For a dual fuel customer, the environmental/social obligation costs comprise 15.33% of the bill. See https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publication...es-and-profits

What are the environmental/social obligations?
See https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environment...social-schemes

That's actually less than what's been touted by some of the media, they were talking about it being about 25% when I heard a discussion about it.

AIUI, the Winter Fuel Allowance is paid for out of general taxation. It's the £140 for those on means tested benefits that comes out of the levy.

Paul 31-01-2022 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111727)
You have absolutely nothing to support your allegation that this is the definitive truth and are either simply trolling or, for reasons that aren't difficult to work out, are purposely trying to cause upset and unpleasantness for a severely disabled member of this forum.

FFS, Ive had enough of you constantly playing the "disabled" card.
You are banned from this topic for 7 days (of course, you wont be able to see this message, its for the benefit of others).

Ok, Back to the topic in hand please.

Taf 31-01-2022 20:51

Quote:

Gas and oil prices are not set by governments, but by bodies like OPEC and Putin's oligarchs.

Putin has a lot of Europe by the danglies over natural gas supplies.

nomadking 31-01-2022 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36111823)
Gas and oil prices are not set by governments, but by bodies like OPEC and Putin's oligarchs.

Putin has a lot of Europe by the danglies over natural gas supplies.

And the evidence..............?
Europe gas prices: How far is Russia responsible?
Quote:

"A significant section of the mainstream European media has attributed this to Gazprom intentionally withholding supplies in order to force the German regulator and European Commission to approve Nord Stream 2," says Jack Sharples, of the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.
But he adds that this analysis "is questionable".
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she was not aware of any instances where Russia had not met its contractual obligations.
"Russia can only deliver gas on the basis of contractual obligations and not just like that," she was quoted as saying.
Quote:

The UK's gas storage is currently at full capacity - but Russia only provides about 5% of the country's usage, so it's less reliant on Russian imports than other European countries.
Russia's own gas storage is also down.
Adeline Van Houtte, a Europe analyst at the Economist's Intelligence Unit, says: "Currently, the Russian domestic gas market remains tight, with output already near its peak and winter is looming... limiting gas export capacity."
There are several other factors affecting the situation in Europe, such as:

• cold weather at the start of 2021 depleting stocks
  • rising prices in spring and summer put traders off buying to sell later in the year
  • limited supply from Norway because of maintenance issues
  • reduction in other energy sources such as wind power
  • growing demand for gas elsewhere in the world

How is Russia responsible for any of those?:confused:
It doesn't mention a factor is that Germany scaled back nuclear and coal energy production, and tried to rely on unreliable wind power, and as a result had to rely on gas instead.

Paul 01-02-2022 00:29

Quote:

The UK's gas storage is currently at full capacity
However, wasnt it mentioned that said capacity is a lot smaller than it used to be ?

Chris 01-02-2022 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36111833)
However, wasnt it mentioned that said capacity is a lot smaller than it used to be ?

Quite correct. Centrica closed an enormous storage facility in 2017 because it needed some expensive upgrades to keep going. They asked for government assistance but were refused. We lost about 70% of our storage capacity at that point, although even before that we were storing less than is typically the case in European countries. Today we store 2% of annual demand while the average in the EU is 25%.

Some stats from a storage provider that still operates in the UK: https://www.storengy.co.uk/medias/ne...er-gas-storage

TimeLord2018 03-02-2022 11:10

From 1st of April average energy bills will go up by 54%

Bills for the average customer on a default tariff will rise to £1,971 a year from £1,277
Prepayment customers will see an increase of £708 from £1,309 to £2,017

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60236456

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36112204)
From 1st of April

Bills for the average customer on a default tariff will rise to £1,971 a year from £1,277
Prepayment customers will see an increase of £708 from £1,309 to £2,017

Did they announce a unit rate for this as I find these total rates uses less when it comes to working out for the individual

Chris 03-02-2022 11:46

Rishi rides to the rescue …

£150 council tax rebate for bands A-D (boo, I’m in band E)
£200 energy bill discount for every household this October, followed by a £40 annual surcharge once a year for the next 5 years, to smooth out the shock.

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36112209)
Rishi rides to the rescue …

£150 council tax rebate for bands A-D (boo, I’m in band E)
£200 energy bill discount for every household this October, followed by a £40 annual surcharge once a year for the next 5 years, to smooth out the shock.

So we get £200 to cover the price rise we are going to see in October anyway and have to pay it back? does nothing for the shock of this price rise

The CT rebate I will not see as I get most of it paid anyway unless that comes off the bit I do have to pay

tweetiepooh 03-02-2022 11:59

I wish that our new boiler replaced a really old cruddy one but the old one was pretty efficient just getting to that age where spares where getting hard/impossible to find.

Trying to get to BG to cancel our service cover as new boiler doesn't really need it. Odd pricing - cover boiler, heating, plumbing, electrics, drains is around £36/month. Remove the boiler (and heating) and it's £85. Tried to cancel on-line but need to phone them, phone them - we are only dealing with emergencies use on-line.

Chris 03-02-2022 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112213)
So we get £200 to cover the price rise we are going to see in October anyway and have to pay it back? does nothing for the shock of this price rise

The CT rebate I will not see as I get most of it paid anyway unless that comes off the bit I do have to pay

You will see your overall council tax bill reduce by £150, so if you’re paying anything towards it at all you will see that amount reduce. Precisely how much will depend on whether the council tax benefit %age is calculated on the amount initially demanded by the council or the amount actually owing after the discount.

The £200 reduction in October is a response to the present cap increase. Having taken these measures today, I think Sunak has made it politically impossible for him not to act again in the event of a further crippling rise in the cap in October. But we will have to wait and see.

Halcyon 03-02-2022 12:03

So it looks like this will be happening:

1. The vast majority of households will be given £350 - just over half the amount energy bills are expected to increase annually.
All households? Everyone?

1. All electricity customers will receive a £200 discount from October on bills. The government will meet the cost in full. This will have to be repaid by customers in equal £40 instalments over the next five years

What about if I have dual fuel? Everyone?

1. A £150 council tax rebate to help with the cost of energy in April - This won’t need to be repaid.
No doubt that will only be for those on low incomes.

1andrew1 03-02-2022 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36112216)
So it looks like this will be happening:
  1. The vast majority of households will be given £350 - just over half the amount energy bills are expected to increase annually.
All households? Everyone?
See below
  1. All electricity customers will receive a £200 discount from October on bills. The government will meet the cost in full. This will have to be repaid by customers in equal £40 instalments over the next five years

What about if I have dual fuel? Everyone?
I think it's £200 to each household that pays for energy.

1. A £150 council tax rebate to help with the cost of energy in April - This won’t need to be repaid.
No doubt that will only be for those on low incomes.

The £150 will not be done on income it will be given to those in council tax bands A-D.

However, there will also be a new discretionary fund of £150m for councils to help low-income people who live in larger homes.

The Warm Homes Discount will expand from 2m to 3m people.

GrimUpNorth 03-02-2022 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36112219)
The £150 will not be done on income it will be given to those in council tax bands A-D.

However, there will also be a new discretionary fund of £150m for councils to help low-income people who live in larger homes.

The Warm Homes Discount will expand from 2m to 3m people.

Been in meetings most of the morning so have missed all but the headlines. Who's funding the £150? I know ultimately 'we the people' will pay one way or another but is central government going to refund local councils, or are local councils going to be expected to make even more cuts to wholly or partly cover the reduced income?

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36112215)
You will see your overall council tax bill reduce by £150, so if you’re paying anything towards it at all you will see that amount reduce. Precisely how much will depend on whether the council tax benefit %age is calculated on the amount initially demanded by the council or the amount actually owing after the discount.

The £200 reduction in October is a response to the present cap increase. Having taken these measures today, I think Sunak has made it politically impossible for him not to act again in the event of a further crippling rise in the cap in October. But we will have to wait and see.

If all this does end up being the case this rise I can cover comfortably enough will have to see what happens with the next one. If the CT comes off the initial figure I will not see much of it but if it comes off the final figure I will have to pay next to nothing

Inactive Digital 03-02-2022 13:07

I wonder how the rebate will work for households that are exempt from paying council tax?

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 13:14

Quote:

From 1 April the equivalent per unit level of the price cap to the nearest pence for a typical customer paying by direct debit will be 28p per kWh for electricity customers and 7p per kWh for gas customers
Copied from Ofgem site so gas users hit with a higher increase than electric

Taf 03-02-2022 13:23

Quote:

From 1 April the equivalent per unit level of the price cap to the nearest pence for a typical customer paying by direct debit will be 28p per kWh for electricity customers and 7p per kWh for gas customers
At the moment, after being moved from Orbit to Scottish Power, the prices are Electricity 21.180p per kWh, Gas 4.174p per kWh.

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36112230)
At the moment, after being moved from Orbit to Scottish Power, the prices are Electricity 24.761p per kwh, Gas 26.018p per kwh.

So are the 28p and 7p numbers to be added to what we were paying before?

no they are the final figures. Not sure if Vat is added or not though

Dunno why you are paying that much though as they are over the old price cap figures I posted earlier in this thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36095799)
yeah that does not give unit rates it just breaks down the overall charge.

I see it does on the page

From 1 October the equivalent per unit level of the price cap to the nearest pence for a typical customer paying by direct debit will be 21p per kWh for electricity customers and 4p per kWh for gas customers.

Which tbh is what all those on the price switch are coming in at so I should have guessed haha

These are the October Price Cap Figures so for some reason you are paying more than them. Your Gas figure has to be wrong

nomadking 03-02-2022 14:41

Going to be a bit of a wait for the discount.
Link

Quote:

The rebate on energy bills will provide around 28 million households with an upfront discount on their bills worth £200 and suppliers will apply the discount to domestic electricity customers from October, with the government meeting the costs.
People will be receiving higher quarterly bills before then, as well as those on PAYG meters costing more.

Inactive Digital 03-02-2022 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36112238)
Going to be a bit of a wait for the discount.
Link

People will be receiving higher quarterly bills before then, as well as those on PAYG meters costing more.

Probably timed so the govt doesn't have to do more come the October prise cap change. I'm annoyed at politicians and the media describing it as a discount, when the money has to be paid back. Imagine the uproar if a dealership referred to a car loan as a 'discount'.

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36112240)
Probably timed so the govt doesn't have to do more come the October prise cap change. I'm annoyed at politicians and the media describing it as a discount, when the money has to be paid back. Imagine the uproar if a dealership referred to a car loan as a 'discount'.

Lets be honest about this though, they are not obliged to do anything. These price rises are not this Governments fault. Increased demand has led to increased wholesale prices. If you want to blame a government you will need to go back 30 plus years and blame those who decided not to increase gas storage and not invest in more nuclear power stations

1andrew1 03-02-2022 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112245)
Lets be honest about this though, they are not obliged to do anything. These price rises are not this Governments fault. Increased demand has led to increased wholesale prices. If you want to blame a government you will need to go back 30 plus years and blame those who decided not to increase gas storage and not invest in more nuclear power stations

The reduction in gas storage occurred recently - in 2017.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...h-gas-centrica

I think some responsibility must be attributed to Ofgem as well as the government and market forces.

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36112247)

I think some responsibility must be attributed to Ofgem as well as the government and market forces.

I said nothing about reducing storage

nomadking 03-02-2022 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36112247)

Then how come EU countries are also badly affected?:rolleyes:

pip08456 03-02-2022 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36112251)
Then how come EU countries are also badly affected?:rolleyes:

Because demand has gone up worldwide?

Taf 03-02-2022 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112231)
Dunno why you are paying that much though as they are over the old price cap figures I posted earlier in this thread
These are the October Price Cap Figures so for some reason you are paying more than them. Your Gas figure has to be wrong

From Spring 2021 I was paying Orbit Electricity 11.399 per kWh, Gas 2.431 per kWh

Then in October 2021 there was a big jump Electricity 24.761 per kwh, Gas 6.018 per kwh.

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36112258)
From Spring 2021 I was paying Orbit Electricity 11.399 per kWh, Gas 2.431 per kWh

Then in October 2021 there was a big jump Electricity 24.761 per kwh, Gas 6.018 per kwh.

you typoed your gas and put 26p. I was paying similar with Avro

The electric is higher than the cap though

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36112252)
Because demand has gone up worldwide?

this is why the prices are high. High demand. India and Germany are among the countries that have switched to gas and I believe China has to meaning supplies have dwindled.

Of course those farming the gas (I dunno what you would call a group of wells or fraking set ups) do not have to increase the prices they just are because of supply and demand meaning the rest of us have to pay the extra while the oligarchs are laughing all the way to the bank

Just for one minute think what will happen Russia does invade the Ukraine and the UK and EU start sanctioning them and they decide to either cut off the gas line or increase the price even more. Shell won't mind but the rest of us will

TheDaddy 03-02-2022 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112245)

Let's be really honest they wouldn't do anything if they didn't think votes would be lost if they did nothing and it's clearly not their fault, 12 years in power isn't enough time to sort anything out

pip08456 03-02-2022 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112259)
you typoed your gas and put 26p. I was paying similar with Avro

The electric is higher than the cap though

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

this is why the prices are high. High demand. India and Germany are among the countries that have switched to gas and I believe China has to meaning supplies have dwindled.

Of course those farming the gas (I dunno what you would call a group of wells or fraking set ups) do not have to increase the prices they just are because of supply and demand meaning the rest of us have to pay the extra while the oligarchs are laughing all the way to the bank

Just for one minute think what will happen Russia does invade the Ukraine and the UK and EU start sanctioning them and they decide to either cut off the gas line or increase the price even more. Shell won't mind but the rest of us will

Gas price has nohing to do with "oligarchs" Russia at present is delivering the gas that was ordered.So there's no blame there.

That said demand has risen because wind power dropped off due to lack of wind.who'd of thought?

So, any coumtry relying on renewable power now had to purchace more gas to keep the lights on.

When you have to purchse more gas you have to do it on the international market. Supply and demand, Asia is driving the price up, not Russia.

Jaymoss 03-02-2022 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36112271)
Gas price has nohing to do with "oligarchs" Russia at present is delivering the gas that was ordered.So there's no blame there.

That said demand has risen because wind power dropped off due to lack of wind.who'd of thought?

So, any coumtry relying on renewable power now had to purchace more gas to keep the lights on.

When you have to purchse more gas you have to do it on the international market. Supply and demand, Asia is driving the price up, not Russia.

Those who farm and sell the gas choose the price. Asia using more gas does not increase the price greed does

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36112266)
Let's be really honest they wouldn't do anything if they didn't think votes would be lost if they did nothing and it's clearly not their fault, 12 years in power isn't enough time to sort anything out

I said governments 30 years ago

TheDaddy 03-02-2022 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112274)

I know what you said and disagree with you, 12 years they've had to see the problems previous regime's have left and correct them or at least put plans in place , the fact they haven't is down to them, no one else

nomadking 03-02-2022 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112274)
Those who farm and sell the gas choose the price. Asia using more gas does not increase the price greed does

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

The prices are not being set by the sellers, they are being set by the buyers.:rolleyes: That is how auctions work.
Quote:

About half of the UK’s gas comes from the North Sea, and a third is sourced from Norway. The rest is made up of imports of liquefied natural gas (LNG) transported to Britain by sea from countries such as Qatar and the US. The Russian gas that the UK [less than 5%] receives comes in LNG form.
These LNG supplies are very sensitive to global market prices and are sold to those offering the highest price.
Quote:

In recent decades, demand for gas in some regions like Asia and the Middle East has risen sharply.
This has knock-on effects on the market for liquified natural gas (LNG), which makes up about a quarter of Europe's imports.
When demand for LNG is high, supplies tend to be diverted to Asia to take advantage of rising prices.

Jaymoss 04-02-2022 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36112285)
I know what you said and disagree with you, 12 years they've had to see the problems previous regime's have left and correct them or at least put plans in place , the fact they haven't is down to them, no one else

we both have our points and they are both equally correct. No government in my lifetime have ever planned for the future as far as I can see

1andrew1 04-02-2022 00:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112295)
we both have our points and they are both equally correct. No government in my lifetime have ever planned for the future as far as I can see

Large-scale infrastructure projects are long-term and exceed the term of the government so are planning for the future. Look at Crossrail and HS2, for example.

Jaymoss 04-02-2022 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36112297)
Large-scale infrastructure projects are long-term and exceed the term of the government so are planning for the future. Look at Crossrail and HS2, for example.

Yeah and that is why I originally said that things should have been done 30 years ago

pip08456 04-02-2022 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36112297)

I'd rather see more nuclear power plants.

Chris 04-02-2022 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36112299)
I'd rather see more nuclear power plants.

Rolls-Royce’s new Small Modular Reactor should help here, but despite being designed to be far less complicated to build and operate, we’re not going to see one on the grid for a while yet as nobody’s actually signed up for one … AFAIK they’re still about 3 years off specifying exactly what they will build and where.

nomadking 04-02-2022 08:16

And how exactly would gas storage solve anything?

Germany only has capacity for a quarter of their annual consumption, and it has to be filled up at the new higher costs. A quarter of Germany's gas storage is owned by GazProm.

Hugh 04-02-2022 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36112312)
And how exactly would gas storage solve anything?

Germany only has capacity for a quarter of their annual consumption, and it has to be filled up at the new higher costs. A quarter of Germany's gas storage is owned by GazProm.

https://www.rpsgroup.com/insights/en...ansition-mix/#
Quote:

In September 2021, due to a sustained period of very low winds, the current renewable energy supply was unable to meet demand.

Coinciding with an extreme spike in spot market gas prices, making gas supply uneconomical, the UK had to start up one of two remaining coal–fired power stations to meet electricity demand.Stored natural gas currently allows countries to meet their seasonal power demands, for instance in winter when gas demand is likely to exceed newly generated supply. However, in the future, it’s also likely to be required to help meet power demands during the intermittent outages as described above.

Although clearly not the case at present, gas storage also has an essential role in rebalancing an oversupplied market. Storage means that a valuable commodity can be ‘demand–ready’ and allow for more sustainable production and transport from ‘advantaged’ basins to create a more equitable supply. Thus, it also has a crucial role to play in the security of gas supply in the context of rising geopolitical risks and trade tensions.
https://www.eua.org.uk/uploads/57285500B54F4.pdf
Quote:

The insurance provided by gas storage not only enhances physical gas security, but insulates those countries from the vagaries of the global gas market and its associated price risks. In short, gas storage is a vital national asset which contributes to the economic wellbeing of the majority of European member states…

... The Benefits of Gas Storage (“why does it matter?”)

Gas storage provides a multitude of benefits to the UK energy market, in particular it:
• delivers physical gas and is more reliable than other sources of gas supply as it is not exposed to the same risk of being diverted to other markets
• is located close to, and often embedded in, the UK gas market and so can react quickly to demand or supply shocks
• provides delivery support for other sources of supply
• reduces the average cost of consumers’ bills
• reduces the investment needs of the national transmission system and importantly for the physical security of supply
• is available to be called upon by National Grid in a Gas Emergency

However, not all of the value associated with these benefits is captured by the current
commercial arrangements between storage providers and market participants.
These include (i) the contribution it makes to energy security of supply, (ii) the impact it has on reducing consumer bills and (iii) the impact gas storage has on avoiding the need for costly network investment.

nomadking 04-02-2022 10:10

Gas storage facilities are privately owned. The gas in them has to be paid for in advance, as well as the cost of eventual higher cost of refilling the storage.

The fact that gas prices in Germany are also shooting up, demonstrates that having gas storage achieves little on that issue. Germany used its stored gas to cope with increased demand and lower Wind power output, NOT increased prices.
Quote:

Russia's own gas storage is also down.
Adeline Van Houtte, a Europe analyst at the Economist's Intelligence Unit, says: "Currently, the Russian domestic gas market remains tight, with output already near its peak and winter is looming... limiting gas export capacity."
There are several other factors affecting the situation in Europe, such as:

• cold weather at the start of 2021 depleting stocks
  • rising prices in spring and summer put traders off buying to sell later in the year
  • limited supply from Norway because of maintenance issues
  • reduction in other energy sources such as wind power
  • growing demand for gas elsewhere in the world

Carth 04-02-2022 10:42

Globally, this net zero thing has had an impact after all, but probably not the impact everyone was talking about ;)

Jaymoss 04-02-2022 11:09

The UK used to drill its own Gas Wells if it invested in storage and did not sell it all off we would not have to buy any from anyone else. This is why I have banged my head against a brick wall with the 30+ years ago when it all got screwed up

British Gas was privatised in 1986 by that wonderful prime minister Thatcher we are in this mess imo directly due to this event in history

1andrew1 04-02-2022 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112324)
The UK used to drill its own Gas Wells if it invested in storage and did not sell it all off we would not have to buy any from anyone else. This is why I have banged my head against a brick wall with the 30+ years ago when it all got screwed up

British Gas was privatised in 1986 by that wonderful prime minister Thatcher we are in this mess imo directly due to this event in history

It could be a government-owned British Gas would have sold the storage off as well, we just don't know.

To me, it's a failure of regulation. The regulator should have ensured a strategic gas storage facility remained and there was a funding mechanism in place to ensure this.