Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The future of television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709854)

bbxxl 08-10-2021 18:21

Re: The future of television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36096571)
And unless your name is Nostradamus or Cassandra, you cannot tell the future, but you act as if you can...

I can tell the future, but I don’t want to scare you.

Hugh 08-10-2021 18:40

I knew you were going to say that…

"The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

Hom3r 11-10-2021 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36096390)
Sky Glass Pricing.

43" - £649 upfront or £13 per month

55" - £849 upfront or £17 per month

65" - £1,049 upfront or £21 per month

And what do I need on top?

Sky Ultimate TV (required) - £26 per month

Sky Cinema - £11 per month

Sky Sports - £25 per month

Sky Stream puck - £50 upfront and £10 a month to stream on TVs in other rooms

Very expensive if you need 4 of them (1 Living room, 3 Bedrooms).

Still cheaper to have a STB in most circumstances

OLD BOY 11-10-2021 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36096571)
And unless your name is Nostradamus or Cassandra, you cannot tell the future, but you act as if you can...

Or you can just use common sense.

Hugh 11-10-2021 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097094)
Or you can just use common sense.

The challenge with "common sense" is that it often isn’t "common" or "sense", just someone using the phrase to give validation to their viewpoint.

Mark Twain famously once said,
Quote:

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

OLD BOY 01-11-2021 09:33

Well, change is inevitable, which some of you don't want to hear.

Forget Sky Glass, I think people will see through that in the end....(:D).

This TV is more like it, and that is more what I had in mind when I spoke of the TV of the future. Hopefully, it will cross the Atlantic soon, and so far, this would be my next TV of choice.

I need to read more about it, though, but it looks good to me.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazon...sale-at-amazon

Jaymoss 01-11-2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099547)

This TV is more like it, and that is more what I had in mind when I spoke of the TV of the future. Hopefully, it will cross the Atlantic soon, and so far, this would be my next TV of choice.

JVC released TVs with amazon fire tv ages ago.

Amazon is great if you have Prime and Netflix and know how to use Downloader . The lower end prices however seem reasonable but looking the 65 inch model is $1k. For £550 you can get a Hisense 65 inch with Prime Netflix and Freeview play and for £30 add an android box if you want one. Both Sky Glass and Amazon Omni can easily be beat on price and Hisense make great TVs

muppetman11 01-11-2021 12:10

Quote:

What’s so unique about it ?

OLD BOY 01-11-2021 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36099570)
What’s so unique about it ?

I need to read more to answer that. But if it enables you to add watchlists across the streaming services, this is what I am really looking for. I have been unable to establish whether or not that is the case as yet.

My TV of choice will put the emphasis on streaming services rather than live TV (which Amazon TV does) while still making live TV an option through IPTV. I am not sure if an aerial is required for the Amazon TV, though, which although not ideal, is not a game-changer for me.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

This Guardian article points to the increasing number of people (not only the young) who are streaming now, and the fact that broadcasters are having to adapt quickly. It as published earlier this year, but I have only just noticed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...hannels-doomed

Hugh 01-11-2021 13:34

Betteridge’s Law of Headlines…

Quote:

"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
As Andrew Marr said
Quote:

If the headline asks a question, try answering 'no'. Is This the True Face of Britain's Young? (Sensible reader: No.) Have We Found the Cure for AIDS? (No; or you wouldn't have put the question mark in.) Does This Map Provide the Key for Peace? (Probably not.) A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic. To a busy journalist hunting for real information a question mark means 'don't bother reading this bit'

muppetman11 01-11-2021 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099588)
I need to read more to answer that. But if it enables you to add watchlists across the streaming services, this is what I am really looking for. I have been unable to establish whether or not that is the case as yet.

My TV of choice will put the emphasis on streaming services rather than live TV (which Amazon TV does) while still making live TV an option through IPTV. I am not sure if an aerial is required for the Amazon TV, though, which although not ideal, is not a game-changer for me.

This Guardian article points to the increasing number of people (not only the young) who are streaming now, and the fact that broadcasters are having to adapt quickly. It as published earlier this year, but I have only just noticed it.

I’m all in with streaming I don’t use traditional pay TV any longer that said I’m still not sure what that TV would offer over what I already get with my Chromecast or Apple TV 4K ?

1andrew1 01-11-2021 13:45

Quote:

The Chinese (TCL, Hisense) and Turkey's Vestel have between them been knocking out Amazon and Roku TVs for a while now. The US market TVs in this article don't offer IPTV so don't seem as advanced as Sky Glass, just business as usual.

OLD BOY 01-11-2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36099593)
Betteridge’s Law of Headlines…

Quote:
"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
As Andrew Marr said
Quote:
If the headline asks a question, try answering 'no'. Is This the True Face of Britain's Young? (Sensible reader: No.) Have We Found the Cure for AIDS? (No; or you wouldn't have put the question mark in.) Does This Map Provide the Key for Peace? (Probably not.) A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic. To a busy journalist hunting for real information a question mark means 'don't bother reading this bit'

H’mmm…more research required?

http://www.climate.gov/news-features...global-warming

Paul 01-11-2021 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36099562)
For £550 you can get a Hisense 65 inch with Prime Netflix and Freeview play and for £30 add an android box if you want one. Both Sky Glass and Amazon Omni can easily be beat on price and Hisense make great TVs

Well I have no idea about Hisense TV's but I can definitely agree with the rest of this.
I have two Android TV boxes, primarily used to watch all my downloaded episodes (via Kodi) but both also have Amazon Prime and Netflix set up on them (one daughter has Prime, another has Netflix). No need for expensive dedicated TVs.

1andrew1 01-11-2021 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099611)

However, Hugh's quote said vast majority of headline questions could be answered with a no, not every one.

OLD BOY 01-11-2021 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36099655)
However, Hugh's quote said vast majority of headline questions could be answered with a no, not every one.

Don’t tempt me! :D

1andrew1 01-11-2021 19:22

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099670)
Don’t tempt me! :D

muppetman11 02-11-2021 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099588)

With the exception of Sky Glass and it’s Playlist feature and that’s got lots of issues currently I’m yet to come across any device that allows you to add watchlists across the streaming devices although I’m happy to be corrected.

Jaymoss 02-11-2021 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36099718)
With the exception of Sky Glass and it’s Playlist feature and that’s got lots of issues currently I’m yet to come across any device that allows you to add watchlists across the streaming devices although I’m happy to be corrected.

you ever heard of Trakt

TBH this would only help if you steered away from regular options and went down the android box route

OLD BOY 02-11-2021 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36099718)

Well, the TiVo enables you to do this across live TV channels, Netflix, Prime and StarzPlay, and what I am looking for is a means of accomplishing this from a provider such as Amazon.

Once this happens, I will be looking to ditch VM TV.

muppetman11 02-11-2021 14:52

I highly doubt it happening anytime soon , try the Fire TV stick search and you’ll notice not all the apps content is returned in the results. It certainly doesn’t return Now TV results when I’ve tried it.

The closest two to universal search I’ve tried so far are Apple TV and the newest Chromecast and neither offer a universal bookmark facility across all the streaming services.

OLD BOY 02-11-2021 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36099737)
I highly doubt it happening anytime soon , try the Fire TV stick search and you’ll notice not all the apps content is returned in the results. It certainly doesn’t return Now TV results when I’ve tried it.

The closest two to universal search I’ve tried so far are Apple TV and the newest Chromecast and neither offer a universal bookmark facility across all the streaming services.

Well, such a facility on a TV or app would be the killer solution, which would get a lot of attention. Surveys have been saying for a while that people want ‘everything on one box’ and the first company to put out a system containing all worthwhile apps with comprehensive content search and watchlist options will capture a fair chunk of the market.

1andrew1 02-11-2021 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099760)
Well, such a facility on a TV or app would be the killer solution, which would get a lot of attention. Surveys have been saying for a while that people want ‘everything on one box’ and the first company to put out a system containing all worthwhile apps with comprehensive content search and watchlist options will capture a fair chunk of the market.

I think we've discussed why this is unlikely to happen - streaming apps want to keep you in their walled garden. Once you have a cross-app search facility, viewers spend less time with the streamer and brand recognition for the streamer fades.

How many people used to talk about seeing something on a Sky channel when the channel in question was not owned by Sky? Streamers want to avoid identification with the platform in favour of identification with themselves.

OLD BOY 02-11-2021 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36099798)
I think we've discussed why this is unlikely to happen - streaming apps want to keep you in their walled garden. Once you have a cross-app search facility, viewers spend less time with the streamer and brand recognition for the streamer fades.

How many people used to talk about seeing something on a Sky channel when the channel in question was not owned by Sky? Streamers want to avoid identification with the platform in favour of identification with themselves.

Nice theory, but it already happens to some extent (eg Netflix, Amazon and StarzPlay are all searchable on the TiVo.

1andrew1 03-11-2021 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36099804)
Nice theory, but it already happens to some extent (eg Netflix, Amazon and StarzPlay are all searchable on the TiVo.

To some extent being the operative word. The power of aggregators like VM is being eroded every time a new streaming service is announced. Searching for content across multiple platforms at the same time is becoming harder, not easier.

Carth 03-11-2021 09:28

Surely if you combine 'the future of television' with the global warming initiative to 'conserve energy', we should end up with 3 or 4 companies producing programs for viewing on the only 20 channels available on a TV set :D

oh hang on . . that won't go down well, screw energy saving eh :D

Dude111 08-11-2021 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY

Things always get worse and its sad.................

Hugh 08-11-2021 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36100387)

Except for increasing life expectancy, fewer neo-natal & childhood deaths, better medicines and medical treatments, ability to access trillions of pieces of information through your phone, no imminent threat of world-wide nuclear war, increased equality for disabled, ethnic minority, & women, etc.

jfman 08-11-2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY

There’s only one person in these threads with the blinkers on OB.

Carth 08-11-2021 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36100387)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36100418)
Except for increasing life expectancy, fewer neo-natal & childhood deaths, better medicines and medical treatments, ability to access trillions of pieces of information through your phone, no imminent threat of world-wide nuclear war, increased equality for disabled, ethnic minority, & women, etc.

Over population, longer waiting lists, soft on crime, dumbing down of society, Z list celebs, quick fixes that don't fix anything, internet the home of snowflakes criminals and misinformation, rising migration, erosion of public services & amenities, history being rewritten because it's offensive, desolate town centers with the remaining shops selling cheap tat . . .

still, always look on the bright side of life eh . . 200 channels of shite on the TV :D

Hugh 08-11-2021 14:02

Anyway, that’s enough about Scunthorpe…

Carth 08-11-2021 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36100435)
Anyway, that’s enough about Scunthorpe…

Don't knock it . . gas lighting and a horse trough on every corner, living the dream :D

OLD BOY 08-11-2021 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36100421)
There’s only one person in these threads with the blinkers on OB.

In which case I recommend you take them off, jfman and accept that change is inevitable. :D

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36099798)

I think that is a very narrow way of looking at it. I started watching a programme on Netflix about a week ago and my wife referred to the storyline and neither of us could think of what it was from. Fortunately I came across the title just this afternoon - 'The Maid' on Netflix. It wasn't on the watchlist on my box because Netflix has not integrated their content to enable you to bookmark it on the 360.

Frankly, we have watched less on Netflix since we had the 360 box for that very reason. So I would disagree with the premise that by not integrating content from all streamers you are taking away viewers. The reverse is true. We've certainly watched a lot more from Prime since we swapped boxes. That's because Prime is integrated and so we can see the programmes we listed as worth watching as well as those we've started just by scrolling through the watchlist.

jfman 08-11-2021 17:06

You've completely missed Andrew's point.

Apple want to push Apple
Netflix wants to push Netflix
Amazon wants to push Amazon.

None of them have any incentive to be this altruistic platform offering all of the content in a neutral manner. For the same reason your Sky EPG has all of the Sky channels near the top (with the exception of PSBs).

Chris 08-11-2021 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36100451)
In which case I recommend you take them off, jfman and accept that change is inevitable. :D

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

I think that is a very narrow way of looking at it. I started watching a programme on Netflix about a week ago and my wife referred to the storyline and neither of us could think of what it was from. Fortunately I came across the title just this afternoon - 'The Maid' on Netflix. It wasn't on the watchlist on my box because Netflix has not integrated their content to enable you to bookmark it on the 360.

Frankly, we have watched less on Netflix since we had the 360 box for that very reason. So I would disagree with the premise that by not integrating content from all streamers you are taking away viewers. The reverse is true. We've certainly watched a lot more from Prime since we swapped boxes. That's because Prime is integrated and so we can see the programmes we listed as worth watching as well as those we've started just by scrolling through the watchlist.

OB, as per, you’re arguing that black is white and up is down, on the basis of your own, extremely limited, experience and very personal preferences.

As with most aspects of this topic, we have been here before, at some point, though frankly I lack the will to go and search for it. What’s at issue here is commoditisation. What service are you actually buying? A load of streamed TV shows from Virgin Media or a streaming experience provided by Netflix, or Apple, or whoever?

What you’re demanding is commoditisation of content in favour of a single, Virgin Media branded experience. But streamers that have invested a fortune in their brand awareness have absolutely no incentive at all to sacrifice that to the Virgin Media EPG. Each streamer has a unique character, driven by its app functionality and its content acquisition strategy. Netflix, in my opinion, is particularly strong on this point.

Amazon Prime can overcome this to a great extent as long as it’s the only streaming brand doing full integration. As Amazon commissions far less original content than Netflix, has a much smaller free-to-members back catalogue than Disney, and lacks the high-end reputation of Apple, there was a distinct commercial advantage in it going down the integration route. Certainly on our living room TV, which has all of the major streamers but no integration, Prime is the least accessed of the lot.

Commoditisation is what all brands fear and what they all expend a great deal of effort trying to avoid. This is why, for example, you will occasionally see a member of Walkers staff surveying the crisp aisle in your local supermarket. Walkers is a major brand and it has the clout, which many smaller player lack, to dictate even to the likes of Asda and Tesco, how their product is to be displayed. Many smaller brands get whatever placement they are given and often have to make sale-or-rebate promises to the supermarkets in order to get any shelf space at all.

Netflix has no incentive to surrender control of its brand to a search engine in your 360 box. The personal preferences of some random Old Boy are really irrelevant here. At the scale they are interested in (I.e. the entire viewing market, not your lounge) there is greater value in maintaining brand strength and awareness.

OLD BOY 08-11-2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36100463)
You've completely missed Andrew's point.

Apple want to push Apple
Netflix wants to push Netflix
Amazon wants to push Amazon.

None of them have any incentive to be this altruistic platform offering all of the content in a neutral manner. For the same reason your Sky EPG has all of the Sky channels near the top (with the exception of PSBs).

Yes, and if you recognise that many people have at least two or three streamers, you want your subscribers to be constantly reminded of their content that they want to see by being reminded of those programmes through their watchlists.

If two streamers are integrated but the third isn’t, who do you think is going to get less hits?

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36100469)
OB, as per, you’re arguing that black is white and up is down, on the basis of your own, extremely limited, experience and very personal preferences.

As with most aspects of this topic, we have been here before, at some point, though frankly I lack the will to go and search for it. What’s at issue here is commoditisation. What service are you actually buying? A load of streamed TV shows from Virgin Media or a streaming experience provided by Netflix, or Apple, or whoever?

What you’re demanding is commoditisation of content in favour of a single, Virgin Media branded experience. But streamers that have invested a fortune in their brand awareness have absolutely no incentive at all to sacrifice that to the Virgin Media EPG. Each streamer has a unique character, driven by its app functionality and its content acquisition strategy. Netflix, in my opinion, is particularly strong on this point.

Amazon Prime can overcome this to a great extent as long as it’s the only streaming brand doing full integration. As Amazon commissions far less original content than Netflix, has a much smaller free-to-members back catalogue than Disney, and lacks the high-end reputation of Apple, there was a distinct commercial advantage in it going down the integration route. Certainly on our living room TV, which has all of the major streamers but no integration, Prime is the least accessed of the lot.

Commoditisation is what all brands fear and what they all expend a great deal of effort trying to avoid. This is why, for example, you will occasionally see a member of Walkers staff surveying the crisp aisle in your local supermarket. Walkers is a major brand and it has the clout, which many smaller player lack, to dictate even to the likes of Asda and Tesco, how their product is to be displayed. Many smaller brands get whatever placement they are given and often have to make sale-or-rebate promises to the supermarkets in order to get any shelf space at all.

Netflix has no incentive to surrender control of its brand to a search engine in your 360 box. The personal preferences of some random Old Boy are really irrelevant here. At the scale they are interested in (I.e. the entire viewing market, not your lounge) there is greater value in maintaining brand strength and awareness.

I don’t buy that at all, Chris. As far as branding is concerned, when you pick a programme from the watchlist, the system takes you to the streamer’s logo, so it is very clear who it is providing the content.

This is not just me saying this - there have been a number of findings that viewers want everything in one box. Those streamers who don’t promote this will ultimately lose out on viewers.

1andrew1 08-11-2021 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36100499)
Yes, and if you recognise that many people have at least two or three streamers, you want your subscribers to be constantly reminded of their content that they want to see by being reminded of those programmes through their watchlists.

If two streamers are integrated but the third isn’t, who do you think is going to get less hits?

I don’t buy that at all, Chris. As far as branding is concerned, when you pick a programme from the watchlist, the system takes you to the streamer’s logo, so it is very clear who it is providing the content.

This is not just me saying this - there have been a number of findings that viewers want everything in one box. Those streamers who don’t promote this will ultimately lose out on viewers.

It is just you saying this I'm afraid. You're conflating demand with supply.

We're not disputing that demand exists for a single search facility, as the surveys probably do indeed show. We're pointing out the commercial reasons as to why streamers aren't jumping up and down to become part of such a service.

Chris 08-11-2021 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36100499)

I know you don’t buy it - the very essence of all this forum’s “future TV” threads is your inability to differentiate between your preferences and market trends. If you had some sense of how what you like is not necessarily what drives the industry, we’d have little to discuss.

In the real world beyond your sofa, businesses that have spent millions on bespoke search, watchlist and recommendation algorithms in order to create an end-to-end user experience, do not easily give that up and tell themselves a 5-second studio ident at the start of the reel is an adequate substitute. That you claim that is adequate really only demonstrates how blinkered your personal preferences have made you here.

jfman 09-11-2021 12:19

A sign of the future as Google are threatening to remove YouTube from Roku? Rumours Amazon could go too.

Chris 09-11-2021 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36100542)
A sign of the future as Google are threatening to remove YouTube from Roku? Rumours Amazon could go too.

It would be a sad development but not a shocking one. As several of us have repeatedly stated in this and other threads, big streaming brands are primarily interested in defending and promoting their brand. It leads the likes of Google to leverage its brand awareness in order to try to get preferential treatment and it leads Amazon to use its powerful brand to promote one of its less well-known properties. Roku, meanwhile, will resist, hoping the wide adoption of its devices in homes will make the streamers think twice about removing themselves from the platform.

They will most likely achieve a compromise of sorts, however this does clearly demonstrate just how important leveraging the brand really is. None of them will surrender it easily.

jfman 09-11-2021 22:59

John Skipper (formerly President of ESPN and who oversaw DAZN entering the US market) has been lamenting their failure in the US market to Sports Business Journal.

Some of the boxing they were trying to charge for nobody was watching for free* on ESPN never mind being willing to pay for an over the top subscription service. Aggregating secondary rights hasn’t worked out and the absence of first tier rights (like the NFL) is costing them.

On streaming services replacing cable bundles:

Quote:

Eventually you’re going to get less and pay more
*by free I assume he means on a basic cable package.

On this side of the Atlantic the farce in Italy continues with supporters threatening a boycott as DAZN seek to reduce piracy by limiting users to viewing on one device at one time. Certainly with Sky, BT and Virgin users currently get to enjoy premium content at home and “on the go” on multiple devices.

https://sport.periodicodaily.com/daz...-e-andata-giu/

Apologies but you can use Chrome to translate. One social media campaign is pushing the idea that three months would be long enough to boycott for the service to fail.

OLD BOY 18-11-2021 08:06

This may be the answer to the difficulty in bringing broadband to remote areas.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/return-of-the-squarial

jfman 18-11-2021 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36101753)
This may be the answer to the difficulty in bringing broadband to remote areas.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/return-of-the-squarial

It'll certainly bring broadband to remote areas however the problem satellite faces is that there is finite bandwidth shared among users - similar to a 4G mast.

Existing "affordable" satellite broadband packages come with bandwidth caps for this very reason. While th average internet user may not hit these caps a few hours of 4K will.

It's also somewhat counterintuitive to replace satellite television with... satellite television.

Paul 18-11-2021 21:52

Speeds are not too bad, if you get them.
Quote:

SpaceX says that users of its service can expect download speeds of up to 200 Mbps. Latency is as low as 20 milliseconds. Upload speeds are around 13 Mbps.
20 ms isnt bad either, thats always been a problem with satellite based stuff.

No mention of price that I could see.

OLD BOY 18-11-2021 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36101837)

It’s certainly better than nothing.

Chris 18-11-2021 23:18

It is better than nothing for internet connectivity. What’s less clear is why it would be better than the unlimited, high bandwidth satellite tv broadcasts people in these locations are receiving already. The extra cost and complexity might be worth it for the additional utility of on demand IP-TV for some people, but it just isn’t a simpler, cheaper or more robust solution for delivering mass-audience entertainment.

pip08456 19-11-2021 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36101837)

There's an article here that explains more and includes the present price (August 2021) but it doesn't mention the new square dish which is said to double (or almost) the speeds.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...t-is-starlink/

Plus the new satellites have laser interconnect which again will increase speeds and reduce latancy. ATM it is still a BETA project.

Paul 19-11-2021 01:50

So its not nearly as good as it initially looked ;
Quote:

Starlink once said that in perfect conditions — which would be periods of low consumer demand while there are lots of nearby orbiting satellites — it could reach consistent speeds up to 150Mbps download and 40Mbps upload. SpaceX itself tells users to expect between 50-150Mbps.
.. and the price :Yikes:
Quote:

Starlink's beta project is said to have an upfront cost of £439 for equipment and setup, and a subscription cost of £84 [per month].
You would need to be pretty desperate for internet at those prices, you can probably get better from 4G or 5G.

OLD BOY 02-12-2021 21:28

Yes, that’s pretty steep!

OLD BOY 03-01-2022 20:20

This is an interesting development. My assertion that TV channels as they are presented now will disappear by 2035 was based on terrestrial TV being provided by way of IPTV.

Now it seems that 5G broadcasting is being considered. There is no guarantee we will pursue that route, but if it happens, clearly TV channels will carry on as they are now. That is, provided the TV channels decide that it is still worthwhile to do so given the streaming alternative.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/how-5g-bro...terrestrial-tv

bbxxl 03-01-2022 20:35

Predicting the future is not easy.
Having said that, I was talking to a friend yesterday who gave a talk to some bankers at the Barbican in 1992 and told them that MP3s and digital photography were going to be the future.
I can’t predict what I did yesterday though…

jfman 03-01-2022 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36107913)
This is an interesting development. My assertion that TV channels as they are presented now will disappear by 2035 was based on terrestrial TV being provided by way of IPTV.

Now it seems that 5G broadcasting is being considered. There is no guarantee we will pursue that route, but if it happens, clearly TV channels will carry on as they are now. That is, provided the TV channels decide that it is still worthwhile to do so given the streaming alternative.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/how-5g-bro...terrestrial-tv

Do I sense the 2022 edition of the OB goal post shift?

Paul 03-01-2022 20:57

Wait ..... so ... they propose to hand over the existing TV frequencies to 5G, and then broadcast TV on those same frequencies, just called 5G now ...

LOL, you could not make this nonsense up.

Chris 03-01-2022 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36107917)
Wait ..... so ... they propose to hand over the existing TV frequencies to 5G, and then broadcast TV on those same frequencies, just called 5G now ...

Broadcast based on 5g offers a lot more data capacity than DVB-T2, lower latency and (I think) the possibility of building in a return path. If it were to take off (and the BBC is heavily involved in the drafting of standards for it, so it’s a distinct possibility) then the debate around linear versus on-demand becomes moot; what we end up with is a sort of convergence where the same broadcast system you use to receive linear TV immediately takes over the business of handling on-demand requests, like pressing green to wind a live programme back to the start. This approach also potentially saves a ton of data as you only get a dedicated stream as long as you’re viewing something on demand.

It’s worth noting that this knocks the “death” of linear TV way into the long grass. Whatever its interactive potential, for broadcasters the main attraction of this is that it allows them to keep broadcasting in the viewing mix for the long run.

bbxxl 03-01-2022 22:44

People often ask why we need 5G when 4G is far enough, as they did when 4G came in WRT 3G.

It may be fast enough for what we have now but that is only because they can’t imagine what we will have in the future.

Who was it that said, when he first saw a telephone, “I can see a time when every town will have one”?

jfman 03-01-2022 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbxxl (Post 36107931)
People often ask why we need 5G when 4G is far enough, as they did when 4G came in WRT 3G.

It may be fast enough for what we have now but that is only because they can’t imagine what we will have in the future.

Who was it that said, when he first saw a telephone, “I can see a time when every town will have one”?

I don’t think anyone doubts 5G and eventual successor technologies 6G.

The scepticism comes from trying to resolve a problem that - arguably - doesn’t exist. How to efficiently broadcast linear television into the future.

This technology - if adopted - could. However there’s a number of issues - not least the transition would take years. 5G coverage isn’t at the levels of DTT and will not be for some time. In addition the high bandwidth 5G spectrum there is most demand for is up in the GHz range not the sub 700mhz range.

That said money talks but whether the MNOs are about to put their hands in their pockets to pay the eye-watering amounts seen in the 3G auctions or not remains to be seen.

OLD BOY 03-01-2022 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36107917)

Well, I was surprised, because I thought they’d need the bandwidth for other purposes, but what do I know?!! :erm:

Chris 03-01-2022 23:16

(A reply to a post Hugh since deleted, but I’m not deleting this as it took ages to write)

First thing is, what’s being proposed is a *version* of 5g, not actual 5g as currently being rolled out for cellular data. At its most basic it would replace the current DVB-T2 standard used by Freeview. More channels in less bandwidth and lower latency, bringing the digital delay down to almost real-time.

Such a system would be delivered over the existing transmitter infrastructure, but it has the potential to be integrated with 5g cellular networks and seamlessly integrate the return path you need for interactive services.

A major benefit for our national data infrastructure is that at present, if I access BBC1 as broadcast via the iPlayer, the BBC has to send a dedicated data stream to me. If the IPTV nirvana OB believes in were to come to pass, there could potentially be several million people at a time, each receiving a dedicated stream, utilising terabytes of data, on those occasions when we do all actually want to watch linear to at the same time. Today, of course, millions of us access the same broadcast signal and the power requirement at the transmitter doesn’t change no matter how many of us there are. In a Freeview system operating on 5g broadcast, if I access the iPlayer and select a programme presently being broadcast live, the system provides me the broadcast signal, not a dedicated stream.

None of which is set in stone as things stand - the standards are not agreed and it would take a while to get hardware manufacturers on board for yet another change to the broadcast standard. But the ability to force a user onto a high-bandwidth broadcast signal, where one is available, and when they don’t actually need a dedicated IP data stream, is I suspect part of the potential prize here.

Hugh 03-01-2022 23:47

Thank you, Chris.

jfman 03-01-2022 23:51

I suppose the question is why go to all this effort to preserve linear television in a 5G envelope if there’s no demand?

Spoiler: 
There is demand.

OLD BOY 04-01-2022 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36107942)
I suppose the question is why go to all this effort to preserve linear television in a 5G envelope if there’s no demand?

Spoiler: 
There is demand.

It will be interesting to se whether that demand still exists in 10 years' time. Habits change, sometimes over a very short period.

OLD BOY 04-01-2022 12:51

Further evidence hereof the need to aggregate content of VOD providers. Sky do seem to get it, whereas Virgin still has a long way to go. If it’s much slower, it will miss the boat altogether.

Virgin needs to become a kind of Roku with added TV channels. Hopefully also, Netflix is listening.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...nt-navigation/

[EXTRACT]

Accenture’s research also indicates that while consumers care more about the content delivered by streaming services, they find the navigation experience with the growing number of services to be increasingly frustrating. Content aggregators can address this concern by unifying access across streaming services through application software, services and data-sharing agreements. Aggregators can also foster flexibility and personalisation for viewers by serving as a single platform with curated content that enables them to select exactly what they want to watch.

Carth 04-01-2022 13:11

I'm not sure I follow you OB.

Are you saying VM should do some kind of deal with Netflix, Amazon or whoever, to get their streaming services onto/into the VM packages?

Would they (VM) price this new service higher, lower or equivalent to the standard Netflix (or whoever) pricing?

Wouldn't current Netflix (etc) subscribers simply stay as they are instead of entering a new 18 month contract with VM?

Apologies if I'm way out :dunce:

Chris 04-01-2022 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36107980)
Further evidence hereof the need to aggregate content of VOD providers. Sky do seem to get it, whereas Virgin still has a long way to go. If it’s much slower, it will miss the boat altogether.

Virgin needs to become a kind of Roku with added TV channels. Hopefully also, Netflix is listening.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...nt-navigation/

[EXTRACT]

Accenture’s research also indicates that while consumers care more about the content delivered by streaming services, they find the navigation experience with the growing number of services to be increasingly frustrating. Content aggregators can address this concern by unifying access across streaming services through application software, services and data-sharing agreements. Aggregators can also foster flexibility and personalisation for viewers by serving as a single platform with curated content that enables them to select exactly what they want to watch.

The basic objection to that proposition hasn’t changed since the last time you brought it up. Allowing their content to be subsumed in a programme guide they don’t control represents a risk to brand recognition for companies like Netflix, and dilutes any added value they may get from operating their own distinct menu structure.

I have to say I have no issues at all with the app layout on my TV (and I don’t have a subscription with sky or VM). I know where the stuff I want to watch is and I know how each streamer goes about showcasing their new content. Netflix in particular is extremely good at pushing content it knows I’ll like into the promoted spot at the top of my menu. There’s at least a 50/50 chance that anything new appearing there is going to go onto my watch list. It’s hard to see what’s in it for Netflix if they simply allow all their material to be funnelled into a Virgin Media or Sky branded programme guide alongside their rivals.

OLD BOY 04-01-2022 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36107982)

Are you saying VM should do some kind of deal with Netflix, Amazon or whoever, to get their streaming services onto/into the VM packages?

Would they (VM) price this new service higher, lower or equivalent to the standard Netflix (or whoever) pricing?

Wouldn't current Netflix (etc) subscribers simply stay as they are instead of entering a new 18 month contract with VM?

I was really thinking about content aggregation as opposed to one subscription for all the streamers.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36107985)
The basic objection to that proposition hasn’t changed since the last time you brought it up. Allowing their content to be subsumed in a programme guide they don’t control represents a risk to brand recognition for companies like Netflix, and dilutes any added value they may get from operating their own distinct menu structure.

I have to say I have no issues at all with the app layout on my TV (and I don’t have a subscription with sky or VM). I know where the stuff I want to watch is and I know how each streamer goes about showcasing their new content. Netflix in particular is extremely good at pushing content it knows I’ll like into the promoted spot at the top of my menu. There’s at least a 50/50 chance that anything new appearing there is going to go onto my watch list. It’s hard to see what’s in it for Netflix if they simply allow all their material to be funnelled into a Virgin Media or Sky branded programme guide alongside their rivals.

The advantage of permitting viewers to bookmark all their content in one place, which was my point, is that it enables you to keep track of your viewing and it reminds you of what you have on your watchlist.

Since getting the 360 software, I have not been able to add Netflix programmes to the Virgin watchlist. This has resulted in our house watching fewer Netflix shows - not deliberately, but because out of sight is out of mind. Accessing different watchlists for different streamers is a pain for the viewer. We have watched a lot more Prime of late.

It’s not about the layout of the apps or whether you subscribe once to the whole lot - it’s about ease of access to content.

jfman 04-01-2022 16:08

I’m still at a loss as to who is the net beneficiary from such a proposition. Not the aggregator - they’re not making any money from the end user and not the streaming services that don’t get promoted.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36107982)

Join the queue.

Chris 04-01-2022 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108001)
I was really thinking about content aggregation as opposed to one subscription for all the streamers.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

The advantage of permitting viewers to bookmark all their content in one place, which was my point, is that it enables you to keep track of your viewing and it reminds you of what you have on your watchlist.

Since getting the 360 software, I have not been able to add Netflix programmes to the Virgin watchlist. This has resulted in our house watching fewer Netflix shows - not deliberately, but because out of sight is out of mind. Accessing different watchlists for different streamers is a pain for the viewer. We have watched a lot more Prime of late.

It’s not about the layout of the apps or whether you subscribe once to the whole lot - it’s about ease of access to content.

You’re just repeating the same point you already made. I get why it’s convenient for you, but it is commercially inconvenient for the streamers, who don’t want their highly branded products to be lost on a shelf alongside all the others, in a tv supermarket run by an “aggregator”.

There are lots of things that would be convenient for customers, but which businesses don’t do because it doesn’t make commercial sense. You repeatedly saying “but I want this” doesn’t cut it.

OLD BOY 04-01-2022 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36108003)
I’m still at a loss as to who is the net beneficiary from such a proposition. Not the aggregator - they’re not making any money from the end user and not the streaming services that don’t get promoted.

The aggregator wins because such a service will be likely to attract users of streaming services.

It’s good for the streaming service because it keeps viewers interested in the service they provide as the viewer is reminded of programmes from that streamer that the viewer has already selected. As I said, the absence of Netflix from the 360 watchlist has resulted in us watching Netflix content less.

And of course the viewer wins because navigation between the services is improved. All your selected content is in one place.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36108012)
You’re just repeating the same point you already made. I get why it’s convenient for you, but it is commercially inconvenient for the streamers, who don’t want their highly branded products to be lost on a shelf alongside all the others, in a tv supermarket run by an “aggregator”.

There are lots of things that would be convenient for customers, but which businesses don’t do because it doesn’t make commercial sense. You repeatedly saying “but I want this” doesn’t cut it.

I think you are missing the point Inam making, with respect. I don’t see how you think the products are ‘lost on a shelf alongside all the others’. The apps can be made separate as they are now - I am merely referring to an integrated wish list, as it works for Netflix, Prime and StarzPlay on the V6 already.

I would remind you that most people would still go to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist in the first place.

jfman 04-01-2022 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108018)
The aggregator wins because such a service will be likely to attract users of streaming services.

It’s good for the streaming service because it keeps viewers interested in the service they provide as the viewer is reminded of programmes from that streamer that the viewer has already selected. As I said, the absence of Netflix from the 360 watchlist has resulted in us watching Netflix content less.

But it can’t simultaneously promote every streaming service - there’s only a limited amount of prominent space. To that end you’re asking some streamers to accept lower prominence than others based on paying a third party or giving them a cut.

spiderplant 04-01-2022 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108018)
I would remind you that most people would still go to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist in the first place.

Well I certainly wouldn't. Is it even possible?

OLD BOY 04-01-2022 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36108021)
But it can’t simultaneously promote every streaming service - there’s only a limited amount of prominent space. To that end you’re asking some streamers to accept lower prominence than others based on paying a third party or giving them a cut.

I didn’t say they should promote it, did I, jfman? I am simply saying it should be possible to have one wish list rather than multiple wish lists.

You have it already on the V6! You’re reading too much into it.

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36108034)
Well I certainly wouldn't. Is it even possible?

Look at the V6. Search for a programme that’s on Netflix. Bookmark it. Search for one on Amazon. Bookmark it. Search for one on StarzPlay. Bookmark it. Now you have three programmes from three different streamers on your V6 watchlist. When you select that programme, it takes you into the app and into the programme.

Netflix and Amazon also have their own watchlists, but obviously only programmes on their own apps can be selected from there.

Are you with me yet?

Unfortunately, you cannot do this with the 360 software with Netflix - only the other two.

spiderplant 05-01-2022 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108045)
Look at the V6. Search for a programme that’s on Netflix. Bookmark it. Search for one on Amazon. Bookmark it. Search for one on StarzPlay. Bookmark it. Now you have three programmes from three different streamers on your V6 watchlist. When you select that programme, it takes you into the app and into the programme.

Exactly. Which is not "go[oing] to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist"

tweetiepooh 05-01-2022 09:30

One advantage on the V6 is that you search and it finds programmes on different services so you don't need to go to the app to find the programme. You don't even need subscription to search so if you now find that a programme of interest is on "searchable service" you could be tempted to subscribe. This can even happen where say season 1 is "broadcast" - you record/watch it - then find that later seasons are on subscription service - also tempting you to join.

Further if you do subscribe you can play from whatever source on on device and not really care where the content comes from. Content owner still gets their money and the broadcaster can attract customers in that the services are all available on their platform, some within a single interface at least for initial search. Even playing "directly" on V6 opens the app and plays the content so after playing you are in the content owners app being tempted with more content there.

OLD BOY 05-01-2022 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36108053)
Exactly. Which is not "go[oing] to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist"

I merely said you could do that, not that it was the only way. What I am advocating is that all streamers should be capable of offering the same service as is on the V6. It's not exactly revolutionary.

Sky have already gone for the full integration idea as well, which some on here are saying is not viable!

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36108058)
One advantage on the V6 is that you search and it finds programmes on different services so you don't need to go to the app to find the programme. You don't even need subscription to search so if you now find that a programme of interest is on "searchable service" you could be tempted to subscribe. This can even happen where say season 1 is "broadcast" - you record/watch it - then find that later seasons are on subscription service - also tempting you to join.

Further if you do subscribe you can play from whatever source on on device and not really care where the content comes from. Content owner still gets their money and the broadcaster can attract customers in that the services are all available on their platform, some within a single interface at least for initial search. Even playing "directly" on V6 opens the app and plays the content so after playing you are in the content owners app being tempted with more content there.

Exactly, tweetiepooh. I'm not sure why some posters on here cannot see that.

GrimUpNorth 05-01-2022 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108061)
I merely said you could do that, not that it was the only way. What I am advocating is that all streamers should be capable of offering the same service as is on the V6. It's not exactly revolutionary.

Sky have already gone for the full integration idea as well, which some on here are saying is not viable!

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Exactly, tweetiepooh. I'm not sure why some posters on here cannot see that.

Has it? Can't see it on our Sky Q - you can search Sky or Netflix but there's no option to bookmark anything in a big combined all seeing list. If you select a Netflix result from the the Sky Q search then you just go to the result in the Netflix App.

Sky Q also has lots of other apps - iPlayer, Prime, peacock, discovery+, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc but the search only works on the Sky tv guide/on demand OR Netflix. The other apps don't get a look in! Also, I'm not sure if the Sky on demand is a full or partial offering - eg are all the iPlayer episodes of Eastenders part of Sky on demand?

OLD BOY 05-01-2022 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36108067)
Has it? Can't see it on our Sky Q - you can search Sky or Netflix but there's no option to bookmark anything in a big combined all seeing list. If you select a Netflix result from the the Sky Q search then you just go to the result in the Netflix App.

Sky Q also has lots of other apps - iPlayer, Prime, peacock, discovery+, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc but the search only works on the Sky tv guide/on demand OR Netflix. The other apps don't get a look in! Also, I'm not sure if the Sky on demand is a full or partial offering - eg are all the iPlayer episodes of Eastenders part of Sky on demand?

When I referred to Sky, I was referring to the inclusion of Netflix programmes on their home page. This was something that some posters were saying wouldn’t happen.

Carth 05-01-2022 20:55

I think in a few more years, the television (TV) will be consigned to the same dusty history cupboard as the VCR, Plasma TV, One Megapixel Cameras, 4 Gig HDD's and DDR2 RAM.

Technology, what a ride eh. :D

Head sets is where the future lies, everyone sitting at home (or the bus, train, plane etc) wearing something like the 'oculus rift' head set with films/programs/music streamed straight in.
No more arguing what to watch or how loud/quiet it is, no more scrabbling down the back of the sofa for the remote, in fact the only problem I can see is people missing their stop on a journey because they were too focused on the latest Spiderman movie . . . or Coronation Street :D

Would be very surprised if the patents aren't already sorted ;)

jfman 05-01-2022 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108175)
When I referred to Sky, I was referring to the inclusion of Netflix programmes on their home page. This was something that some posters were saying wouldn’t happen.

So an advert?

OLD BOY 05-01-2022 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36108182)
So an advert?

It’s a display of content both on Sky and on Netflix.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36108181)
I think in a few more years, the television (TV) will be consigned to the same dusty history cupboard as the VCR, Plasma TV, One Megapixel Cameras, 4 Gig HDD's and DDR2 RAM.

Technology, what a ride eh. :D

Head sets is where the future lies, everyone sitting at home (or the bus, train, plane etc) wearing something like the 'oculus rift' head set with films/programs/music streamed straight in.
No more arguing what to watch or how loud/quiet it is, no more scrabbling down the back of the sofa for the remote, in fact the only problem I can see is people missing their stop on a journey because they were too focused on the latest Spiderman movie . . . or Coronation Street :D

Would be very surprised if the patents aren't already sorted ;)

I think that would go the same way as 3D. No, it’ll all be fed straight into your brain. :D

Carth 05-01-2022 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108184)
. No, it’ll all be fed straight into your brain. :D

Some people may require the 'bum bag set' then :D

jfman 05-01-2022 21:12

Quote:

All of it integrated? Or is it just advertising?

Hugh 05-01-2022 21:14

Quote:

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

I think that would go the same way as 3D. No, it’ll all be fed straight into your brain. :D

Aggregated content, as you stated?

Quote:

Further evidence hereof the need to aggregate content of VOD providers. Sky do seem to get it

OLD BOY 05-01-2022 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36108189)
Aggregated content, as you stated?

Must you pick holes in everything, Hugh?

This is how it is described in a Forbes article (just one example)..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...nd-tv-service/

[EXTRACT]

Where the Netflix/Sky partnership really gets interesting, though, is in the way Sky is integrating Netflix content into its onscreen user interface. Rather than having to open a separate Netflix app to find links to Netflix content, recommendations for both Sky’s broadcast and Netflix’s streamed shows will share the spotlight on Sky Q’s homepage. Choose a Netflix show from Sky’s menus and the stream will start playing right away; choose a Sky-hosted show and it will start to download to your receiver for playback.

Netflix content will also be included within Sky’s ‘search’ functionality, making it as easy for your Sky box to find Netflix’s Lost In Space as Sky’s live Premier League Football.

In fact, Netflix will in many ways function like just another channel on Sky’s platform - except that it won’t have a dedicated slot on Sky’s TV Guide, of course.

jfman 05-01-2022 22:11

We’d not pick so many holes if there were not so many readily available, OB. Sky and Netflix have some kind of deal - the end user pays less. So one (or both) companies is getting less revenue than they ordinarily would. Netflix get some prominence.

It’s not the description of content aggregator you consistently provide.

Hugh 05-01-2022 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108194)
Must you pick holes in everything, Hugh?

This is how it is described in a Forbes article (just one example)..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...nd-tv-service/

[EXTRACT]

Where the Netflix/Sky partnership really gets interesting, though, is in the way Sky is integrating Netflix content into its onscreen user interface. Rather than having to open a separate Netflix app to find links to Netflix content, recommendations for both Sky’s broadcast and Netflix’s streamed shows will share the spotlight on Sky Q’s homepage. Choose a Netflix show from Sky’s menus and the stream will start playing right away; choose a Sky-hosted show and it will start to download to your receiver for playback.

Netflix content will also be included within Sky’s ‘search’ functionality, making it as easy for your Sky box to find Netflix’s Lost In Space as Sky’s live Premier League Football.

In fact, Netflix will in many ways function like just another channel on Sky’s platform - except that it won’t have a dedicated slot on Sky’s TV Guide, of course.

Like Netflix and Amazon Prime do on VM?

Re "search functionality" when aggregating providers, Sky hasn’t progressed it the over three years since that article was issued - as GrimUpNorth previously posted
Quote:

Sky Q also has lots of other apps - iPlayer, Prime, peacock, discovery+, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc but the search only works on the Sky tv guide/on demand OR Netflix.

GrimUpNorth 05-01-2022 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36108196)
Like Netflix and Amazon Prime do on VM?

Re "search functionality" when aggregating providers, Sky hasn’t progressed it the over three years since that article was issued - as GrimUpNorth previously posted

And on the Sky Go app Netflix doesn't get a mention (though they're a couple of things from Peacock).

OLD BOY 05-01-2022 23:25

I’m sure the more objective readers of this forum understand what I am advocating. Deliberate misinterpretation of posts is frustrating and unhelpful and deters people from posting at all.

GrimUpNorth 06-01-2022 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108203)
I’m sure the more objective readers of this forum understand what I am advocating. Deliberate misinterpretation of posts is frustrating and unhelpful and deters people from posting at all.

To be fair you could say the more objective readers of this forum are just trying to correct your accidental (deliberate??) misinterpretation of the current state of affairs.

OLD BOY 06-01-2022 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36108227)
To be fair you could say the more objective readers of this forum are just trying to correct your accidental (deliberate??) misinterpretation of the current state of affairs.

Well, if that suits your mindset. I’m moving on from this nonsense.

jfman 06-01-2022 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108286)
Well, if that suits your mindset. I’m moving on from this nonsense.

If we are certain if anything it’s that you won’t move on from this topic.

Maggy 07-01-2022 09:16

The longer this thread gets the less I understand it.

bubblegun 07-01-2022 11:16

The Sky guide does aggregate content, I think the way OLDBOY means.
It carries viewing recommendations of new content from across all the streaming apps available on the platform and these links take you directly to the programe within the app. This menu updates each day. This is how Sky makes the case for "all in one place".
Virgin stated they were in the market to offer this at least two years before Sky decided to go this way. Yet Sky is now way ahead with streaming services wanting to be part of its service.
This is on Sky Q, I mean.
Sky Glass has similar menu but I haven't used it.

1andrew1 27-01-2022 23:19

Some interesting info info in this article, worth reading in full. Includes
Quote:

At streaming site Paramount Plus, its plan is to accelerate its popularity using live channels, a new feature where its most popular shows and movies go out at scheduled times on 20 genre-themed channels - mimicking traditional TV channels.

"Even in the era of on-demand, there is clearly a strong consumer appetite for reimagined linear channels that provide effortless, lean-back entertainment," says Tom Ryan, president and chief executive of ViacomCBS Streaming, the owner of Paramount Plus.

Whereas at streaming app Struum, its plan is to make life easier by offering streams from numerous other providers all in one place. This means if you sign up you can access 25 sites, from the likes of the BBC, FilmBox, Magellan TV, Tribeca and Tastemade.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60125013

Chris 27-01-2022 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36111414)
Some interesting info info in this article, worth reading in full. Includes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60125013

Basically replicating the functionality of the Pluto app, which IIRC they already own?

1andrew1 28-01-2022 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36111415)
Basically replicating the functionality of the Pluto app, which IIRC they already own?

Yes, sounds like the way Pluto works and yes they're owned by CBS Viacom.

OLD BOY 30-04-2022 14:03

Some useful information here about the way the government sees the future of TV.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...casters-thrive

OLD BOY 05-05-2022 14:28

Satellite TV is safe for a few more years.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/sky-commit...ing-until-2028

[EXTRACT]

Despite the recent launch of new internet-based TV services, Sky has committed to continue broadcasting services via satellite for several more years to come.

According to satellite operator SES, Sky has once again extended contracts to use a number of its satellite transponders. New agreements now run until the end of 2028. This builds on a separate contract between Sky and SES that was extended last year.

Hom3r 16-05-2022 10:31

I hope all the decent stuff doesn't end up on a premium subscription channel like Di$ney has don to NCIS and The Orville.

jfman 16-05-2022 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36121222)
Satellite TV is safe for a few more years.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/sky-commit...ing-until-2028

[EXTRACT]

Despite the recent launch of new internet-based TV services, Sky has committed to continue broadcasting services via satellite for several more years to come.

According to satellite operator SES, Sky has once again extended contracts to use a number of its satellite transponders. New agreements now run until the end of 2028. This builds on a separate contract between Sky and SES that was extended last year.

Oh it’s safe much longer than that, OB.

https://www.ses.com/press-release/se...ng-118-million

https://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/...atellites.html

As for using the internet to deliver television on this scale for the whole of the UK I’m not sure we are best placed to lead this revolution.

https://hexus.net/business/news/telc...bottom-europe/

1andrew1 16-05-2022 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36122509)
I hope all the decent stuff doesn't end up on a premium subscription channel like Di$ney has don to NCIS and The Orville.

That seems to be the direction its going: Studio-based streaming services and away from the more cost-effective aggregation by Sky and VM.

The biggest test will be whether Warner Bros Discover renews its licence to Sky for entertainment content or launches these on its streaming service instead.