Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709861)

ScottishSteve 12-12-2021 19:20

Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Discovery+ has in the last few days had a major overhaul of their app so quite possibly any delay was due to the implementation of the new improved service.

vincerooney 13-12-2021 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36105375)
I wouldn't pay to watch repeats of programmes that were free when first shown.

The concept of Britbox is seriously flawed IMO

i dont get this argument? britbox has ITV and channel 4 footage?

The licence fee pays for BBC shows to get made and be put to air on the BBC televsion channels. The BBCs arrangement with content makers usually allows them to have a show also on iPlayer for 30 days after it airs terrestrially. After that, the BBC makes other income selling shows to other parties ie Netflix or DVD box sets. BritBox is kinda positioning to be a streaming replacement for DVD box sets of ITV and BBC content. Did you used to go into HMV and say 'my license fee paid for Dr Who im going to walk put with the DVD thanks'

Legendkiller2k 13-12-2021 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36105422)

The licence fee pays for BBC shows to get made and be put to air on the BBC televsion channels. The BBCs arrangement with content makers usually allows them to have a show also on iPlayer for 30 days after it airs terrestrially. After that, the BBC makes other income selling shows to other parties ie Netflix or DVD box sets. BritBox is kinda positioning to be a streaming replacement for DVD box sets of ITV and BBC content. Did you used to go into HMV and say 'my license fee paid for Dr Who im going to walk put with the DVD thanks'

But you're paying twice for BBC content aka tv licence and Britbox.
If say Britbox had new episodes of say Eastenders, Casualty, Doctor who etc the day after airing then it would certainly be value for money as it'd eliminate the need for a tv licence for people wanting to watch some bbc shows on demand.
Difference between buying a dvd and streaming is you own that dvd with streaming the programme could get removed at anytime sometimes without warning.

BenMcr 13-12-2021 07:34

Don't you pay twice for some BBC content whenever it's shown on non BBC channels or iPlayer though?

No one has objected to Gold and the other channels over the last few decades.

Jaymoss 13-12-2021 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36105428)
Don't you pay twice for some BBC content whenever it's shown on non BBC channels or iPlayer though?

I object to Gold and think is should be part of Free to Air due the ads on it and the TV licence thing. Although they do make some new content it should be FTA

denphone 13-12-2021 12:52

Premier Sports launches on Amazon Prime.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...eid=3598503789

Quote:

Premier Sports, which holds the rights to the Scottish Cup, United Rugby Championship and LaLigaTV, has signed a new distribution agreement with Amazon Prime.

It means Premier Sports 1, Premier Sports 2, LaLigaTV, BoxNation and FreeSports will now be available to Amazon Prime Members for an additional £14.99 per month.

Legendkiller2k 13-12-2021 13:52

Quote:

BBC could play a belter though with Britbox as you don't need a tv license for it make shows such as Eastenders, Doctor who etc available on Britbox the day after they air.
ITV could do the same too with their shows for me that would certainly make Britbox value for money, as it currently stands it is poor value for money especially given the content is on other channels too.
I do object to GOLD btw it should be FTA.

Raider999 13-12-2021 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36105422)

No I didn't - since we were liberated from the prison of 4 channels - there is no need to watch the same things over and over (eg Zulu every Christmas for 20 years??)

It doesn't matter how you look at it Britbox is charging you to watch repeats of programs that were free first time around - what a bargain

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36105471)

Is it that high a monthly fee on Virgin/Sky now?

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:

Does anyone watch them though - I certainly don't.

Mad Max 13-12-2021 20:08

Premier sports plus Box Nation is £12.99 on Virgin.

Raider999 13-12-2021 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36105541)

Same price as on Sky.

I thought my memory hadn't failed me - I suppose it is a possibility for anyone who has prime but not sky or virgin

Legendkiller2k 14-12-2021 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36105541)

£12.99 Online too, the extra £2 prime charge is typical scamazon ripping people off.

vincerooney 14-12-2021 01:20

Quote:

Aye no one objected to that before only because the dailymail didnt hate the BBC as much back then. They hate it a lot right now hence why the anti bbc message is so strong currently and people are mentioning their hatred a lot more....

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36105471)

its only 10 quid on virgin media isnt it?

i've got a firestick so i'd be intrigued by what else gets "built into" prime but i'd expect to be saving money not spending more than virgin!

Chris 14-12-2021 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36105570)
Aye no one objected to that before only because the dailymail didnt hate the BBC as much back then. They hate it a lot right now hence why the anti bbc message is so strong currently and people are mentioning their hatred a lot more....

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

its only 10 quid on virgin media isnt it?

i've got a firestick so i'd be intrigued by what else gets "built into" prime but i'd expect to be saving money not spending more than virgin!

I know it’s a well-worn argument (and thoroughly entrenched on both sides) but you don’t pay a subscription to the BBC. You pay for a licence to receive TV broadcasts. As it happens, almost all of the money raised from that goes to fund the BBC. It sounds like a cop-out of an argument, but the legal distinction is important.

Besides, even if it was a subscription, you still wouldn’t acquire any ownership or right to future viewing of the content, any more than you do when Sky makes a programme. If that show later turns up on a channel outside of your subscription package, you don’t get to see the repeat showing.

Richardr 14-12-2021 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36105480)
BBC could play a belter though with Britbox as you don't need a tv license for it make shows such as Eastenders, Doctor who etc available on Britbox the day after they air.

Explain how it would be a belter for the BBC to give up £159 per year in income to replace it with Britbox which can be obtained for £29.99 a year, and for which they only get a share, as does ITV, C4, and C5, and includes 20% VAT.

Legendkiller2k 14-12-2021 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardr (Post 36105614)
Explain how it would be a belter for the BBC to give up £159 per year in income to replace it with Britbox which can be obtained for £29.99 a year, and for which they only get a share, as does ITV, C4, and C5, and includes 20% VAT.

Did i say it'd replace the licence?
You'd still need one if you was to watch live tv, it is more as a option for those who want on demand only there'd be no live streams on it.