Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

Itshim 31-05-2021 16:59

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36081434)
No Road Tax, no obligatory insurance, and no training needed. The Taff Trail is like a racing track most days with pedestrians of all ages having to have eyes in the backs of their head. Throw in high-speed electric scooters and it's quite manic. :mad:

Find swinging a walking stick slows them down on taff trail how the heck do I turn of the text changing thingy on Android it's driving me more crazy than I am already :mad:

joglynne 31-05-2021 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36081436)
Find swinging a walking stick slows them down on taff trail how the heck do I turn of the text changing thingy on Android it's driving me more crazy than I am already :mad:

Try Settings -> Display if you want to change your font size or display size. My phone uses non-standard android and I'm still on version 10 so yours could be different.

I also seem to remember using Settings -> Accessibility on one of my android phones.

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 18:21

Settings- Display- Text Size. I have to have mine on XXL nowadays

mrmistoffelees 31-05-2021 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36081432)
They are a menace, The advert on TV tells us to watch out for cyclists and give them plenty space, but cyclists move in and out of cars and do not give a hee haw about cars , Not sure if cyclists pay Road tax, but they should,

I’d love to know why cyclists should pay a tax that hasn’t existed since the late 1930’s

Perhaps you mean they should pay VED? Which would be interesting as it’s engine size/emissions based…. Also VED goes straight to the general treasury and isn’t used directly toward the maintenance/upkeep of highways

Itshim 31-05-2021 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36081439)
Try Settings -> Display if you want to change your font size or display size. My phone uses non-standard android and I'm still on version 10 so yours could be different.

I also seem to remember using Settings -> Accessibility on one of my android phones.

Seems its Android 8.1 have turned off everything l can find including on Google keyboard . Didnt know how find that until a minute ago !!

Sephiroth 31-05-2021 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36081444)
I’d love to know why cyclists should pay a tax that hasn’t existed since the late 1930’s

Perhaps you mean they should pay VED? Which would be interesting as it’s engine size/emissions based…. Also VED goes straight to the general treasury and isn’t used directly toward the maintenance/upkeep of highways

You might be being a bit specific here! The suggestion is, obviously, that as road users they should be taxed appropriately. It could be levied onto the cost of a bicycle so that admin effort is minimised, but that would slightly miss the point of annually taxing a pest at the point of consumption. Indeed, they should pay insurance too.

At this time of year, they are an absolute scourge.

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36081446)
You might be being a bit specific here! The suggestion is, obviously, that as road users they should be taxed appropriately. It could be levied onto the cost of a bicycle so that admin effort is minimised, but that would slightly miss the point of annually taxing a pest at the point of consumption. Indeed, they should pay insurance too.

At this time of year, they are an absolute scourge.

They are taxed the same as cars. No engine no emissions no tax. Some form of insurance maybe but not going to happen because unless you forgot there is a push for more people to use less petrol / diesel so they are hardly likely to start forcing cyclists to pay to use the roads

do you always drive within the speed limit? and always follow all the rules of the road? because those who drive who do not are a scourge all the time not just in good weather

Itshim 31-05-2021 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081448)
They are taxed the same as cars. No engine no emissions no tax. Some form of insurance maybe but not going to happen because unless you forgot there is a push for more people to use less petrol / diesel so they are hardly likely to start forcing cyclists to pay to use the roads

do you always drive within the speed limit? and always follow all the rules of the road? because those who drive who do not are a scourge all the time not just in good weather

Around this part of Cardiff the rules are bikes ride and cars (parked*) on the pavement. Pedestrians in the road . Traffic lights are not for cyclists. If they had a number plate then perhaps things would start to get better.
* Law starting to be brought in banning it cant be to soon for me.

Sephiroth 31-05-2021 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081448)

But you're drifting from the point. On the curving country roads, the ride 2 abreast at best and in Peloton formation at worst. You can't get past them and they know it. Scourge doesn't cover it!

Carth 31-05-2021 19:20

No Insurance, for something that can whiz along at 25mph in heavy (including pedestrian) traffic.

A helmet will not prevent damage to the first one that hits my car :D

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36081451)
But you're drifting from the point. On the curving country roads, the ride 2 abreast at best and in Peloton formation at worst. You can't get past them and they know it. Scourge doesn't cover it!

and often on windy country lanes I see cars driving way to fast a danger to every one

I do not cycle in groups and never have

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36081450)
Around this part of Cardiff the rules are bikes ride and cars (parked*) on the pavement. Pedestrians in the road . Traffic lights are not for cyclists. If they had a number plate then perhaps things would start to get better.
* Law starting to be brought in banning it cant be to soon for me.

bad cyclists are always lumped in with the good cyclists in these discussions though. I have no issue for tougher rules for bad cyclists

Sephiroth 31-05-2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081453)
and often on windy country lanes I see cars driving way to fast a danger to every one

I do not cycle in groups and never have

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

bad cyclists are always lumped in with the good cyclists in these discussions though. I have no issue for tougher rules for bad cyclists

You still don't seem to fully get it. I'm not having a go at the "good" cyclists. The Pelptons and two abreast are bad cyclists and a total scourge.

TheDaddy 31-05-2021 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36081444)

You realise that with the move to electric there isn't going to be any emissions, by your logic none of us will have anything to pay except they're talking about charging us by the mile to replace the lost fuel duty, presumably you're fine with that applying to push bikes to

Jaymoss 31-05-2021 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36081496)
You still don't seem to fully get it. I'm not having a go at the "good" cyclists. The Pelptons and two abreast are bad cyclists and a total scourge.

but you want to levy a charge on cycling full stop so that is having a go at good cyclists because you will be penalising good and bad

Sephiroth 31-05-2021 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36081520)
but you want to levy a charge on cycling full stop so that is having a go at good cyclists because you will be penalising good and bad

You've got me stumped there! So, engaging brain, two abreast must be outlawed. Something's got to be done about this annual scourge.