Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709861)

muppetman11 05-08-2021 23:21

Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

No it only returns Sky content and Netflix.

Phunkenstein 05-08-2021 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36088762)
No it only returns Sky content and Netflix.

Disney Plus is integrated as well but appears amongst Sky's content.

cheekyangus 06-08-2021 00:14

Like many things in the TV world "integrated" means a whole host of different things depending on context and who is reading, so through no fault of either party you could be talking about different things, or variations with significant enough differences.

And even opinion comes into it, something that is to one person isn't to another.

vincerooney 06-08-2021 00:51

I'm guessing no news on Disney+ app coming to virgin? Is it still sky exclusive. I think that would be perfect. Though if WWE network goes to Peacock i'd like that too!

OLD BOY 06-08-2021 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36088769)
I'm guessing no news on Disney+ app coming to virgin? Is it still sky exclusive. I think that would be perfect. Though if WWE network goes to Peacock i'd like that too!

Virgin Media has already confirmed that Disney+ is coming to 360 boxes this year. Not sure about the V6s - VM might try to use the streamer as a carrot to persuade people to switch.

There are no clues about Peacock other than the fact that Sky will get the free version first. Hopefully, VM viewers will get the app a little later.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36088758)
Okay Mystic Meg.

By definition I can only see the present with my “very eyes”. Your projections for the future are merely that - speculative, often based on what you desire to happen rather than the likelihood of them happening. Economics - which underpins the great capitalist endeavour - would indicate you are much further than you opine.

I’m still waiting on whether linear television as understood by the rest of the forum over IPTV is linear by your own definition. Which as we all know would significantly negate your ability to further shift the goalposts as you have done before.

Oh, for heaven's sake, jfman, why are you finding this so difficult to grasp? Your obsession with the word 'linear' is obscuring the actual point I am making, which is that content will move to IPTV and it will be accessible from a catelogue of programmes, much like Netflix, and not categorised by a huge list of channels. That is all I am saying. Given that 'linear TV' strictly speaking means live TV as well as TV brought to you by schedule as the channels do now, then of course linear TV will still exist. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch live sport, for example. However all other programmes will be on demand.

As I have explained on many occasions, I used the nomenclature 'linear TV' to describe our existing traditional TV channels back in 2015. This was how the media were referring to them at that time. Some still are to this day.

So please, jfman, cut this out for future reference, pin it on your wall in the cupboard under the stairs and let's move on.

jfman 06-08-2021 10:22

You can watch live sport in a non-linear fashion via apps, OB. Anything watched “live” that airs on the BBC Sport website or iPlayer (that isn’t on a broadcast channel) is clearly not linear television. If I sat there and watched the Formula E and the broadcast ended there would be nothing there. That’s demonstrably not linear television.

You continue to fail to answer the question as asked, instead conflating it with anything that airs “live” at a given time.

As I say this is a matter of convenience for you because it allows you to continue to shift the goalposts at a later date by refusing to clearly define your terms now.

muppetman11 06-08-2021 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088637)
We must surely be approaching the time when most people will start ditching the pay-tv channels in favour of streaming and terrestrial channels only. Virgin need to start offering this option soon - this might be what their new box for broadband only customers might be designed to do for all customers eventually.

It doesn't make sense to be paying for both TV channels and streaming services when the content of the TV channels is also on the streamers.

Why lumber yourself with Virgin or Sky then , much easier to purchase a Freesat or Freeview recorder and dip into streamers as you want.

So far we've tried nearly all of them and can honestly say the only one we watch weekly is Netlfix , we've tried and cancelled Britbox , Apple TV + cancelled , have a 6 month free trial of Discovery + that will get cancelled , have Disney + we won't renew after our annual sub expires. How long before half these streamers realise its a struggle to keep people.

Yesterday it was on the BBC about the popularity of streaming with a family saying they had originally had around 6 services which they now had down to 4 and they envisaged cutting that further.

jfman 06-08-2021 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36088806)
Why lumber yourself with Virgin or Sky then , much easier to purchase a Freesat or Freeview recorder and dip into streamers as you want.

The perennial question. OB hypothesises that any day now millions of households will do exactly this yet cannot bring himself to be a pioneer of the future. If he can’t, why would anyone else?

Bob 06-08-2021 12:32

I can confirm that Sky Q doesn't have any bookmarking facility.

In terms of integrated search when you're not subscribed, it doesn't seem to return results. I am subscribed to Disney+, Netflix and Amazon so harder to try. I tried a couple of Discovery network shows and it only seemed to show results for the actual linear TV channels.

OLD BOY 06-08-2021 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36088796)
You can watch live sport in a non-linear fashion via apps, OB. Anything watched “live” that airs on the BBC Sport website or iPlayer (that isn’t on a broadcast channel) is clearly not linear television. If I sat there and watched the Formula E and the broadcast ended there would be nothing there. That’s demonstrably not linear television.

You continue to fail to answer the question as asked, instead conflating it with anything that airs “live” at a given time.

As I say this is a matter of convenience for you because it allows you to continue to shift the goalposts at a later date by refusing to clearly define your terms now.

I really don’t care what you want to call it, jfman. Live events will continue on the streaming services. That’s all I am saying. You are confusing yourself with the terminology and completely missing the point that I have been trying to make.

I am not shifting goalposts, I am just trying to answer questions that are put to me, but unfortunately you seem only interested in pulling things apart by raising pedantic issues that are nothing to do with the issues I am discussing. Obviously things will get fine-tuned along the way - so what?

Anyway, enough. This has gone on long enough. I am sorry if you genuinely don’t understand me, although I do think you are being mischievous, but if you don’t get it by now, you never will.

jfman 06-08-2021 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088814)
I really don’t care what you want to call it, jfman. Live events will continue on the streaming services. That’s all I am saying. You are confusing yourself with the terminology and completely missing the point that I have been trying to make.

I am not shifting goalposts, I am just trying to answer questions that are put to me, but unfortunately you seem only interested in pulling things apart by raising pedantic issues that are nothing to do with the issues I am discussing. Obviously things will get fine-tuned along the way - so what?

Anyway, enough. This has gone on long enough. I am sorry if you genuinely don’t understand me, although I do think you are being mischievous, but if you don’t get it by now, you never will.

On the contrary Old Boy I’m not the only person on the forum who has difficulty with your loose interpretation of what is actually quite straightforward terminology.

You are leaving the door open to linear broadcasts continuing over IPTV (indeed, even cite from time to time Pluto TV) to allow you to claim successfully predicting what life would be like in 2035 if a substantially different, and much more likely outcome happens.

OLD BOY 06-08-2021 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36088809)
The perennial question. OB hypothesises that any day now millions of households will do exactly this yet cannot bring himself to be a pioneer of the future. If he can’t, why would anyone else?

Is 2035 ‘any day now’?

I will move away from TV channels when I get all my streamers in one box. Told you that many times before.

In the meantime, channels have started closing and content is steadily moved to the streamers. Open your eyes and be amazed.

Legendkiller2k 06-08-2021 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088787)
Virgin Media has already confirmed that Disney+ is coming to 360 boxes this year. Not sure about the V6s - VM might try to use the streamer as a carrot to persuade people to switch.

Have they? That's news to me.

OLD BOY 06-08-2021 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36088815)
On the contrary Old Boy I’m not the only person on the forum who has difficulty with your loose interpretation of what is actually quite straightforward terminology.

You are leaving the door open to linear broadcasts continuing over IPTV (indeed, even cite from time to time Pluto TV) to allow you to claim successfully predicting what life would be like in 2035 if a substantially different, and much more likely outcome happens.

You know what, I couldn’t care less.

There will no longer be a miriad of channels such as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV Be, etc. It will just be ITV with content categorised. Sky is already running with this by categorising its channels by subject or type. When Sky is fully IPTV, the content on these channels will easily fit into these new categories. Stick to that concept and you might finally grasp the argument.

Scripted content will not be scheduled. EastEnders, for example will be added at the same time of day as all the rest of the scripted content for that day, possibly at 6am. EPGs will cease to exist, although there will be a means of seeing when live sports coverage, etc, will be available, as there is now.

Whether you want to call that linear or shmilear, I really have no concern whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36088817)

Yes, this is one reference to it, but I think I read it previously on the VM Community Forum.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ne...o-the-platform

[EXTRACT]

New Virgin TV 360 set-top box will finally add Disney Plus to the platform

One of the most exciting tidbits we managed to get from Virgin Media, though, was the arrival of Disney Plus. The Disney streaming app launched in the UK back in March, and has been noticeably missing from Virgin Media boxes so far.

A representative for Virgin Media told us in a briefing that “As of next year I'm very confident we will have [Disney Plus] on the platform”.

jfman 06-08-2021 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36088818)
You know what, I couldn’t care less.

There will no longer be a miriad of channels such as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV Be, etc. It will just be ITV with content categorised. Sky is already running with this by categorising its channels by subject or type. When Sky is fully IPTV, the content on these channels will easily fit into these new categories. Stick to that concept and you might finally grasp the argument.

Scripted content will not be scheduled. EastEnders, for example will be added at the same time of day as all the rest of the scripted content for that day, possibly at 6am. EPGs will cease to exist, although there will be a means of seeing when live sports coverage, etc, will be available, as there is now.

Whether you want to call that linear or shmilear, I really have no concern whatsoever.

Now, now, OB.

It’s your own contortions that have got you into this mess, not mine.

Nobody has disputed that live sports coverage can be streamed - Amazon do a perfectly capable job yet you seem to add in this odd and unnecessary caveat. As if, for example, a sports channel with live sports, news and magazine content would somehow be disqualified from being a linear channel as understood by the rest of the forum.

As for your “one box” does a Fire TV or an Apple TV not fit your objective today?

If not in what ways are they deficient, and what incentives to they have (or not) to resolve said deficiencies given they are the biggest companies in the world?

buckeye 06-08-2021 20:52

Hey guys there's another older thread for you to take your circular arguments to rather than having this one closed down or shunted off too!

As well as Now's current offer of 10 months sport for £20 a month which @RichardCoulter kindly posted about they are also offering 12 months sports for an upfront £200, which works out to half price at £17 a month, because I still had a month to go on my current offer I had to get their chat service to activate this offer for me, but I believe this link will get you it if you have less than one month to go on any current sports offer you may have:-

https://www.nowtv.com/gb/checkout/summary?voucher[]=SPMCWDC9QWHX

Aguero9320 06-08-2021 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36088806)

So far we've tried nearly all of them and can honestly say the only one we watch weekly is Netlfix , we've tried and cancelled Britbox , Apple TV + cancelled , have a 6 month free trial of Discovery + that will get cancelled , have Disney + we won't renew after our annual sub expires. How long before half these streamers realise its a struggle to keep people.

Yesterday it was on the BBC about the popularity of streaming with a family saying they had originally had around 6 services which they now had down to 4 and they envisaged cutting that further.

I only use my Virgin TV for live sports. I pay for Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and Discovery+, but only use Disney+ for general entertainment. My mum and dad use Netflix, Discovery+ is mainly for Olympics coverage and Amazon is for delivery and Music.

jfman 07-08-2021 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36088874)
Hey guys there's another older thread for you to take your circular arguments to rather than having this one closed down or shunted off too!

As well as Now's current offer of 10 months sport for £20 a month which @RichardCoulter kindly posted about they are also offering 12 months sports for an upfront £200, which works out to half price at £17 a month, because I still had a month to go on my current offer I had to get their chat service to activate this offer for me, but I believe this link will get you it if you have less than one month to go on any current sports offer you may have:-

https://www.nowtv.com/gb/checkout/summary?voucher[]=SPMCWDC9QWHX

More proof, if ever it were required, that Sky are just as well placed to move into the streaming market should they see fit.

I don’t see any plucky streamers rushing to sell you a season of Premiership football for £17 a month. Probably double if Italy is anything to go by with DAZN trebling their monthly fee.

Jaymoss 07-08-2021 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36088882)
More proof, if ever it were required, that Sky are just as well placed to move into the streaming market should they see fit.

I don’t see any plucky streamers rushing to sell you a season of Premiership football for £17 a month. Probably double if Italy is anything to go by with DAZN trebling their monthly fee.

depends on what you mean by plucky hahahaha

Legendkiller2k 09-08-2021 15:27

With all these streaming services popping up it can be hard to keep track of stuff so thought this might help you guys out i use a free tvshow/movie tracking site called trakt.tv it will tell you what show/movie is on which service you build your watchlist etc up on it and just use it to keep track.
Hope it helps.

1andrew1 09-08-2021 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36088817)

They've hidden behind an unnamed VM spokesman being quoted by third party websites, they've not issued a press release. I do believe they will though given O2 was the mobile launch partner for Disney+.

TimeLord2018 09-08-2021 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36088700)
Whatever happened to Sky Q via broadband?

They applied for Sky X as a UK trademark on 27th of January this year so it does seem to be in the works.
https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tm.../UK00003585756

1andrew1 09-08-2021 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089130)
They applied for Sky X as a UK trademark on 27th of January this year so it does seem to be in the works.
https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tm.../UK00003585756

Sexier sounding than their Sky by Wire service that the likes of Tiscali used to market for them.

nashville 09-08-2021 16:59

Interesting Topic,

muppetman11 09-08-2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36089143)
Sexier sounding than their Sky by Wire service that the likes of Tiscali used to market for them.

It also appears Sky over the internet in Germany is different to Sky X in Austria.

Sky X in Austria is month to month cancel anytime like Now.

Sky IP in Germany is a 12 month contract.

muppetman11 18-08-2021 21:15

Comcast and ViacomCBS announce “SkyShowtime”, a new streaming service to launch in select European markets

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...ropean-markets

Legendkiller2k 18-08-2021 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36090239)
Comcast and ViacomCBS announce “SkyShowtime”, a new streaming service to launch in select European markets

You beat me to it lol.

jfman 18-08-2021 23:02

Launching in all the markets without a Sky satellite presence.

1andrew1 18-08-2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36090239)

Certainly knits the companies closer together. I wonder if the two companies will eventually merge.

epsilon 18-08-2021 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36090259)
Certainly knits the companies closer together. I wonder if the two companies will eventually merge.

Running a joint venture in other markets means they don't have to merge. Which gets around the problem of what to do with the US networks.

Richardr 20-08-2021 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36090254)
Launching in all the markets without a Sky satellite presence.

Outside of France - I assume one or both have deals with Canal+ preventing a launch for now.

muppetman11 21-08-2021 10:41

All-new Sky Q box WITHOUT a satellite dish is being tested in the UK ahead of launch

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-Price-Release

jfman 31-08-2021 09:47

DAZN just raised their prices in the UK an eye watering 400% to £7.99 a month.

The last boxing channel for £9.99 a month wasn’t much of a success story in the UK.

johnasimmons 31-08-2021 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36091424)
DAZN just raised their prices in the UK an eye watering 400% to £7.99 a month.

The last boxing channel for £9.99 a month wasn’t much of a success story in the UK.

I thought it was gonna be more like £10 so £7.99 not so bad as at least 16 Matchroom bouts per year were recently added to their agenda

johnasimmons 31-08-2021 12:55

I just got the email from DAZN confirming it goes up to £7.99 from 30th September 2021

vincerooney 31-08-2021 15:14

I see on the fire stick people can watch CBS News from different regions of America. Pretty decent replacement potentially for CNN going. Is CBS news permanently free on the fire stick? Any other news channels for free on there? Only got a fire stick today you see!

muppetman11 31-08-2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36091497)
I see on the fire stick people can watch CBS News from different regions of America. Pretty decent replacement potentially for CNN going. Is CBS news permanently free on the fire stick? Any other news channels for free on there? Only got a fire stick today you see!

You can watch live streams of ABC News , NBC News and CBS News on the YouTube app as well as many others.

Chad 31-08-2021 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36091497)

I've got the CBS News app on my LGTV. Free to watch and pretty good picture quality.

vincerooney 31-08-2021 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36091530)
You can watch live streams of ABC News , NBC News and CBS News on the YouTube app as well as many others.

There is an app for nbc news on the fire stick which has live footage of “nbc news now” I’d imagine this is just an app broadcast and isn’t broadcast on normal broadcast tv?

ozsat 31-08-2021 19:59

The UK app version showing NBC News Now currently is the same as the US version.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36091563)
There is an app for nbc news on the fire stick which has live footage of “nbc news now” I’d imagine this is just an app broadcast and isn’t broadcast on normal broadcast tv?

vincerooney 31-08-2021 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36091575)
The UK app version showing NBC News Now currently is the same as the US version.

ah interesting! is it the same one on broadcast tv in america? i just thought it was an app version of nbc news!

ozsat 01-09-2021 10:15

It is the same one as the US versions of Peocock and Pluto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36091588)
ah interesting! is it the same one on broadcast tv in america? i just thought it was an app version of nbc news!

fox35 01-09-2021 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36091648)
It is the same one as the US versions of Peocock and Pluto.

The LiveNOW app from FOX is also available from most streaming services, including YouTube.

vincerooney 01-09-2021 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36091662)
The LiveNOW app from FOX is also available from most streaming services, including YouTube.

ah is this legal?? i assume so! is it on firestick?

fox35 02-09-2021 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36091777)
ah is this legal?? i assume so! is it on firestick?

YouTube LIVE stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6gaCv_j7O4
I assume it's on the Firestick or Android TVs etc, if you do a deep search.

OLD BOY 03-09-2021 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36091563)

The CNN app is available still on the 360 box.

Legendkiller2k 03-09-2021 20:27

HBOMAX expect their rollout across Europe to start in the next 3 years starting with SKY.

Media Boy UK 03-09-2021 20:50

DS Forum is reporting that "Disney+ UK Buys Streaming Rights to All3Media Content Library"

DS Forum is reporting that Disney has signed an deal with Liberty Global and Discovery owned All3Media to get it Content Library for Disney + UK.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ontent-library

Chris 03-09-2021 21:35

I’d never heard of All3Media but apparently they make Call the Midwife for the BBC, which raises an interesting question about how much stuff of theirs will remain on the iPlayer for an extended period, or will find its way onto Britbox. It all depends on the precise details of the commissioning deals they’ve signed with the Beeb for each show they make.

vincerooney 03-09-2021 22:24

Is there a way to watch the sky cinema app on anything other than an iPad or laptop? Thought I could get it on the fire stick but apparently it’s only through now tv?

Hugh 04-09-2021 09:21

Depends on your TV - some allow casting from the tablet to the TV, so you can watch what is on the tablet on the TV as well.

muppetman11 09-09-2021 19:12

Sky is teasing 'something magical' for big Sky Q October event

https://www.techradar.com/news/sky-i...-october-event

Legendkiller2k 09-09-2021 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36092554)

Yeah there's a big NDA on this at the moment.
Very little is allowed to be revealled at this moment in time.

jfman 09-09-2021 22:52

1080p on a Playstation would be nice.

heavyside 10-09-2021 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36092554)

I've read elsewhere that it is most likely to be the rollout of Sky available via broadband.

jobbie8 10-09-2021 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36092038)
DS Forum is reporting that "Disney+ UK Buys Streaming Rights to All3Media Content Library"

DS Forum is reporting that Disney has signed an deal with Liberty Global and Discovery owned All3Media to get it Content Library for Disney + UK.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ontent-library

Does anyone think that this deal could lead to Disney+ coming to VirginMedia?
I hope so.

Phunkenstein 10-09-2021 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36092595)
I hope so.

Assuming there is a ‘deal’.

Disney have licensed some 3rd party British scripted content from All3Media but there’s nothing as yet to suggest there’s more to it than that - the same DS post also seems to presume stuff about Discovery and A&E with no other sources or links to back it up.

I would take a lot of it with a pinch of salt until we see something official from relevant parties.

OLD BOY 10-09-2021 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36092595)
I hope so.

According to information already highlighted in this forum, Virgin Media will carry Disney+ on the 360 later this year.

I don't think the All3Media deal will impact on it one way or the other. The delay may relate to the time-limited Sky exclusivity deal.

Media Boy UK 11-09-2021 13:39

Tennis Final to be shown on Channel 4 TONIGHT.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/channel-4-...al-from-amazon

OLD BOY 11-09-2021 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36092675)
Tennis Final to be shown on Channel 4 TONIGHT.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/channel-4-...al-from-amazon

That's true, but as this is the streaming thread, I feel compelled to point out that it is available on Amazon Prime.

Chris 11-09-2021 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36092707)
That's true, but as this is the streaming thread, I feel compelled to point out that it is available on Amazon Prime.

The point of mentioning that it’s on channel 4 is that it is a competition that would otherwise have been exclusive to Amazon. I’m curious about Amazon’s rationale for sub-letting the rights to channel 4. Are they going to carry Amazon branded pictures and commentary unedited perhaps? Or did channel 4 just pay through the nose so as to override Amazon’s desire to use the event to drive subscriptions?

Funny though, when something is important it still finds a home on linear broadcast tv.

OLD BOY 11-09-2021 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36092709)
The point of mentioning that it’s on channel 4 is that it is a competition that would otherwise have been exclusive to Amazon. I’m curious about Amazon’s rationale for sub-letting the rights to channel 4. Are they going to carry Amazon branded pictures and commentary unedited perhaps? Or did channel 4 just pay through the nose so as to override Amazon’s desire to use the event to drive subscriptions?

Funny though, when something is important it still finds a home on linear broadcast tv.

That is certainly the current state of affairs here in 2021, Chris.

I think perhaps your suggestion that there might be an Amazon dog on Channel 4’s broadcast is highly likely, and it will create an awareness that the streamer carries sport.

A nice little earner for Amazon, too.

Hugh 11-09-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36092718)
That is certainly the current state of affairs here in 2021, Chris.

I think perhaps your suggestion that there might be an Amazon dog on Channel 4’s broadcast is highly likely, and it will create an awareness that the streamer carries sport.

A nice little earner for Amazon, too.

I can’t wait for 2035…

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2021/09/6.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ilm_poster.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ilm_poster.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...er_i_robot.jpg

cheekyangus 11-09-2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36092709)

There are Prime Video logos everywhere, it's a normal Prime Video broadcast. So it's a big advert for Amazon.

Legendkiller2k 12-09-2021 02:27

Given the fiasco with Peacock and the football coverage yesterday, we are a very long way from streaming replacing sattelite, terrestial, cable etc.
For those who don't know the whole service went down and no one could watch any matches, in the end NBC decided to wait for it... air them on their linear channels instead but it took until start of second half to sort it, so people missed the first half coverage.

ozsat 12-09-2021 08:33

The big game was on USA and not Peacock. They were all on the NBC Sport app.

Seen reports in the US that the WWE live event streams have failed a couple of times too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36092764)
Given the fiasco with Peacock and the football coverage yesterday, we are a very long way from streaming replacing sattelite, terrestial, cable etc.
For those who don't know the whole service went down and no one could watch any matches, in the end NBC decided to wait for it... air them on their linear channels instead but it took until start of second half to sort it, so people missed the first half coverage.

OLD BOY 12-09-2021 10:17

Have the live streams on the BBC i-Player ever gone down? I've never known that to occur.

It really shouldn't happen with a well designed streamer, given appropriate technical competence of those charged with its delivery, surely?

I'd be interested to know what actually went wrong for NBC. I completely agree that these issues will have to be resolved before relying on any given streamer to provide live sport.

ozsat 12-09-2021 10:20

BBC did have some access issues when they first started UHD tests - but they said in advance it had limited capacity.

Can't find much about yesterday's Peocock issue except the Downdetector peak at 3.02pm UK time.

One report says "This is a comcast datacenter outage impacting Peacock and others" - which is something for Sky viewers to look out for in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36092778)
Have the live streams on the BBC i-Player ever gone down? I've never known that to occur.

It really shouldn't happen with a well designed streamer, given appropriate technical competence of those charged with its delivery, surely?

I'd be interested to know what actually went wrong for NBC. I completely agree that these issues will have to be resolved before relying on any given streamer to provide live sport.

Legendkiller2k 12-09-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36092769)
The big game was on USA and not Peacock. They were all on the NBC Sport app.

Seen reports in the US that the WWE live event streams have failed a couple of times too.

Eventually they ended up on NBCsports app but those who wanted to watch other matches missed the first half because of the fiasco.
Yeah WWE streams have been bad too on it for a multibillion dollar company they sure get a lot wrong and these are the guys who own SKY so i wouldn't be too hopefull of the SKY over broadband service.
It will eventually all click into place as you have the likes of Opus, DAZN, ESPN who stream with very little issue.
I myself subscribe to Peacock, i thought it was my vpn at first until i saw the tweets.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36092778)

There's some who think it might have something to do with the EPL blocking dodgey streams, they maybe blocked peacock too in their aggressive blocking methods.
Also as OZ said some say it was a database outage.

Phunkenstein 12-09-2021 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36092558)
Yeah there's a big NDA on this at the moment.
Very little is allowed to be revealled at this moment in time.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...te-Event-Tease

The Express has dropped another article - on there is a pricing list - which if real - seems to be suggesting this is a service 'directly in a TV set' and can also adjust picture and sound based on content.

Now given Comcast have not been shy talking making moves into the Smart TV space I wonder if this is a little more than just that new IP box/service that has already been launched elsewhere? Might explain that big NDA! ;)

Legendkiller2k 12-09-2021 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36092805)

The Express has dropped another article - on there is a pricing list - which if real - seems to be suggesting this is a service 'directly in a TV set' and can also adjust picture and sound based on content.

Now given Comcast have not been shy talking making moves into the Smart TV space I wonder if this is a little more than just that new IP box/service that has already been launched elsewhere? Might explain that big NDA! ;)

Could be correct as those are the prices of SKY packs atm.

OLD BOY 12-09-2021 17:47

Quote:

I like the idea of 1,000 hours of recording to the cloud.

jfman 12-09-2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36092728)
There are Prime Video logos everywhere, it's a normal Prime Video broadcast. So it's a big advert for Amazon.

I get the point Chris was making - what is the rationale for Amazon?

But as we can now see the rationale was clear - their logo was on screen the whole time - 100% the same coverage with no adverts.

Quick win in a sense for Amazon. The number of people who would go out their way to pay for this would be small - yet they claimed a free advertising slot for a Saturday night on prime time terrestrial television.

The sense of putting your product in the home of everyone in the country was strong.

Chris 12-09-2021 20:28

Yup … Amazon commentary team, Amazon court-side punditry with Amazon branded microphone mufflers, and a very prominent onscreen graphic at all times. Job’s a good’un.

muppetman11 12-09-2021 20:58

Quote:

I'll stick with Now TV it still has the expensive charges people are sick of and no doubt an 18 month contract.

jfman 12-09-2021 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36092819)
Yup … Amazon commentary team, Amazon court-side punditry with Amazon branded microphone mufflers, and a very prominent onscreen graphic at all times. Job’s a good’un.

A magnificent bit of advertising.

While we don't know the financial trade between Amazon and C4 - and we are unlikely to be - it reassures me that the future of linear television is safe regardless of whether it's a huge advertisement for more.

ozsat 13-09-2021 06:29

I think Sky contracts are 24 month now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36092822)
I'll stick with Now TV it still has the expensive charges people are sick of and no doubt an 18 month contract.

1andrew1 13-09-2021 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36092830)
A magnificent bit of advertising.

While we don't know the financial trade between Amazon and C4 - and we are unlikely to be - it reassures me that the future of linear television is safe regardless of whether it's a huge advertisement for more.

As well as the reasons you and Chris have elaborated on, I suspect there's also a degree of reputation management going on here. Back in 2008, Setanta received criticism from many including the PM for not striking a deal to show the England-Croatia qualifying match on a terrestrial channel. This is the kind of bad publicity that a consumer-facing company like Amazon would seek to avoid.

muppetman11 13-09-2021 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36092840)
I think Sky contracts are 24 month now.

More reasons to stay away for me then , Sky must be getting desperate to hold onto people now.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Sky's website is still showing 18 month.

1andrew1 13-09-2021 14:01

No surprise.
Quote:

Channel 4’s coverage of the US Open Final featuring Emma Raducanu and Leylah Fernandez drew a peak audience of 9.2 million.

The figure is higher than Wimbledon’s highest peak of 7.9 million for the BBC earlier this year. With a huge 18.0% share across the day, Channel 4 secured its best day since the 2012 London Paralympics.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...ay-since-2012/

ozsat 13-09-2021 17:08

I wonder if it depends on what you take out. I got some really good discounts on packages but on a 24 month contract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36092850)
[/COLOR]Sky's website is still showing 18 month.

Itshim 13-09-2021 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36092888)
I wonder if it depends on what you take out. I got some really good discounts on packages but on a 24 month contract.

And if they " change" it you can always tell them what to do ! Have 18 month contract with virgin . This is what will happen if I don't like they look of it :rolleyes:

pip08456 16-09-2021 13:13

VMO2 are getting into streaming soon.

Quote:

The CEO of UK broadband ISP, mobile and TV giant Virgin Media (VMO2), Lutz Schueler, has confirmed that the operator “will be launching soon our first IPTV offer” (Internet Protocol Television), which is probably a reference to the new streaming entertainment service that they began to trial earlier this year.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...duct-soon.html

Legendkiller2k 16-09-2021 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36093217)
VMO2 are getting into streaming soon.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...duct-soon.html

2 guys at work are on this trial no info yet due to NDA.

Phunkenstein 22-09-2021 16:40

Well Comcast have unveiled a new streaming box - which is the one already available in Italy and Germany for Sky IP customers… they may have unwittingly also leaked the ‘Sky Glass TV’ which is mentioned on one of the boxes…

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/...ming-tv-device

1701-e 23-09-2021 09:37

Now offering £1 per month for entertainment package for 2 months. Might take that for most of S3 of Succession

ScottishSteve 23-09-2021 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36094101)
Now offering £1 per month for entertainment package for 2 months. Might take that for most of S3 of Succession

Remember that includes those pesky ads

Legendkiller2k 23-09-2021 11:37

Viaplay to launch in UK next year https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ny-1235018399/

cheekyangus 23-09-2021 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36094118)

Thanks legendkiller2k, I wasn't expecting it to be Nordic with a name like that.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/nordic-str...unch-announced

Legendkiller2k 24-09-2021 14:34

Brazilian online service globoplay to launch in UK https://advanced-television.com/2021...europe-canada/

Media Boy UK 28-09-2021 13:27

Discovery+ is now available on Prime Video Channels in the UK.

It can be accessed by all UK Prime members via Prime Video for £4.99 per month for the Entertainment package and £6.99 per month for Entertainment and Sport.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...-amazon-in-uk/

TimeLord2018 29-09-2021 12:28

Amazon launch IMDb TV in the UK
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ut-1235022448/

Carth 29-09-2021 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36095127)

some quotes:

Quote:

“U.K. customers are used to free streaming, but a lot of the free streamers in the U.K. are really specialized or doing one thing, be it reality or scripted. But we’re building a really, really broad service" . . . “We’re genre agnostic, scripted to unscripted, comedy to drama, hour to half-hour, and we hope that our broad breadth of selection separates us from other customer alternatives.”

Quote:

“What we want to do is learn and figure out what uniquely does the U.K. audience want before we dive into anything original,”
Ant & Dec in anything
Love Island
Bake offs
Dancing on ice
4 in a bed
Anything to do with buying/selling houses
Casualty

That's the research done from my house :p:

cheekyangus 29-09-2021 16:38

Apparently available though the Prime Video app to Prime and non-Prime customers. The last word is possibly important, sounds like you need an Amazon account to sign in with.

There's going to be a standalone app for Fire TV apparently, but it's not out yet.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/uk-launch-for-imdb-channel

1701-e 29-09-2021 17:19

Great. Can rewatch Person of interest... First ad break was 15 seconds long. Can live with that.

vincerooney 29-09-2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36095148)
Apparently available though the Prime Video app to Prime and non-Prime customers. The last word is possibly important, sounds like you need an Amazon account to sign in with.

There's going to be a standalone app for Fire TV apparently, but it's not out yet.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/uk-launch-for-imdb-channel

was about to say i just searched and couldnt find one!

In other news im a bit miffed they took the johnny carson channel off pluto tv. i know theyre trying to suit the channels to the country etc and few people know carson but it was a great watch him interviewing the stars of the 70s and 80s!

Mad Max 29-09-2021 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36095141)
some quotes:

Ant & Dec in anything
Love Island
Bake offs
Dancing on ice
4 in a bed
Casualty

That's friggin horrendous mate....;)

Hugh 29-09-2021 20:28

Quote:

some quotes:

Ant & Dec in anything
Love Island
Bake offs
Dancing on ice
4 in a bed
Casualty

Thoughts and prayers, buddy, thoughts and prayers... ;)

Mr K 29-09-2021 20:59

Quote:

some quotes:

Ant & Dec in anything
Love Island
Bake offs
Dancing on ice
4 in a bed
Casualty

Couldn't you have adopted the kids ? (Either in or out..)
And/or divorced? You have grounds definitely.

ScottishSteve 29-09-2021 21:09

Quote:

some quotes:

Ant & Dec in anything
Love Island
Bake offs
Dancing on ice
4 in a bed
Casualty

I bet you were awfie glad when the pubs reopened :cool: