Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media Customer Service- Your Personal Experience (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33607712)

trickii 05-07-2010 00:23

Re: Virgin Media Customer out of service

The BBC is reported to have asked for an explaination from Virgin Media chairman after it was revealed it that it inadvertently billed a blind and severely disabled person for nearly a year when the house had been distroyed.

Further rumours confirm that the struggling operator had a received a takeover approach from Talk Talk.With further redundancies and rumours it cannot meet debts in the air there is a real possiblility these rumours are true.

Digital Fanatic 05-07-2010 00:50

Re: Virgin Media Customer out of service

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickii (Post 35051237)
The BBC is reported to have asked for an explaination from Virgin Media chairman after it was revealed it that it inadvertently billed a blind and severely disabled person for nearly a year when the house had been distroyed.

Further rumours confirm that the struggling operator had a received a takeover approach from Talk Talk.With further redundancies and rumours it cannot meet debts in the air there is a real possiblility these rumours are true.

What utter rubbish, source please... and struggling??? I don't think so :rolleyes:

weenell 26-07-2010 13:42

Re: Virgin Media Customer Service- Your Personal Experience

:td:

I called Virgin Media today and Oh My God!!!!!! waste of my time, i have called 4 times over the last two weeks due to the signal, the customer services person wanted to send a technician on the days i work, not the days i dont. I had to demand they send someone out on the only day off i have left this week. :(

I wanted to cancel Virgin Media, but i was told i had verbaly agreed to sign up for another year!!!! i really dont think so, i was passed around from dept to dept, I did eveything it tells you at the start of the phone call, you know the bit where they say, take this out and put this on now switch it off, take out the plug then put it back in!!!!!!! :confused:

I work five 12 hour shifts a week with two days off, a little escape into my TV world is all i need for a quick lift, so for the fact i have had NO tv for two weeks i am getting £10 back............are you kidding me!!!!!! :mad:

I notice the signal only disrupted after the world cup!!!!! Virgin do not appear to care about Joe Blog, that was very clear after talking to there Customer Services in the last two weeks. :rolleyes:

I really dont like Sky, but suddenly see the appeal.

mikegray 15-09-2010 17:36

if anybody has serious problems with virgin media customer sevices,contact ispa on the net, fill in their complaints form they will sort your problem,

ecosse 04-10-2010 17:07

Virgin Customer support must be the best advert SKY could possibly have
From Fri 1st They have been fobbing me off and I have been without after receiving my new V+ box (that they sent to the wrong address, It must have a printing error on the serial number ?
Anyway if not resolved by 21:00 Local then goodbye Mr Branson :mad:

Thelab 11-10-2010 22:23

I have had to call CS a few times, talk to someone in the UK and issues are soon resolved. techs that I have dealt with have been first class but talk to someone in their off-shore call centre and they just take the p*** out of you.
Today I have no internet, connected via mobile and the status page shows all is ok in my area, a call to off-shore centre says that there is a problem and that the status page is only updated if the fault is going to be on longer than 15-20 days. this was after asking me to power my pc off and on again.
Two hours later, called the 0800 number for 50M support and he did no checks and told me "The big box that all the wires go into at the end of my street is broken and wont be fixed until Wednesday".
Where does VM get these comedians ?

TazFTO 06-12-2010 11:09

I've been a VM (NTL/Telewest) customer for about 10 years. I like the broadband & phone, but can't stand the laggy TV & appalling customer service.

Moved house recently....

Broadband- VM engineer fitted the wrong router, so I had no web connection. 1 week later, I can now connect to the web, but I have a slower connection on 50Mbit than I had on the previous 20Mbit. Strange how some broadband tests show 4Mbit & some show 283Mbit for my 50Mbit link, but even doing a download test to a VM server only gives a max of 3Mbit.

Phone - They gave me a recycled number, so I got calls throughout the night for someone else. Called them, they changed the number 24 hours later for another recycled number.

TV - Had to go for the V+ as the new landlord won't allow a Sky dish, all I can get is stereo sound, called VM customer services, who didn't understand what 5.1 was, then told me to turn the TV sound up, eventually telling me that it's my optical cable into the Amp that's at fault (even though it's fine on other devices). They're sending out an engineer to have a look and "probably replace the cables".

ShadowTD 06-12-2010 12:14

Taz: What channels/content are you expecting to get 5.1 on?

spiderplant 06-12-2010 12:28

Welcome! Have you tried turning on "HDMI Audio Override" in the V+ Settings menu?

Pauls9 06-12-2010 13:08

Had a poor TV picture for a few weeks - a lot of channels pixellating. Finally called 151 and got an overseas call centre. The connection was clear, as was the tech's accent. He checked the line and agreed there was a problem, then arranged for an engineer to visit on the following Saturday morning (this was Thursday). Engineer arrived mid-morning, even with the travelling problems. He checked the signal levels, changed the box, downed a cup of tea and left. All problems solved with prompt professionalism. Nice to see!

TazFTO 06-12-2010 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTD (Post 35133306)
Taz: What channels/content are you expecting to get 5.1 on?

Shadow - I tried it on 5 or 6 of the HD channels & a few HD recordings. Even resorted to trying X-factor (shame on me).

Spiderplant -
I tried turning on "HDMI Audio Override", it gave a different volume level, but no surround sound, VM customer service told me to switch that back to "Off" (which didn't help).

The surround sound setup I have is fine on the Xbox & PC, but has a very slight echo on the V+ box, so it may be a faulty sound card in the V+.

I'll try a few more channels & maybe some more cables tonight. Being a bit of a geek I have the Chord HDMI & some good optical ones too.
Thanks for the prompt responses guys.

spiderplant 06-12-2010 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTO (Post 35133348)
I tried turning on "HDMI Audio Override", it gave a different volume level, but no surround sound

The volume generally drops when you switch to Dolby, so that's a good sign. Possibly the programme you were tuned to didn't have 5.1.

The "Preview" shown when BBC HD is off-air has a 5.1 test card periodically. It's good for testing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTO (Post 35133348)
VM customer service told me to switch that back to "Off" (which didn't help).

No, it wouldn't help! Off = stereo, on = 5.1

TazFTO 07-12-2010 09:17

Got it working, phoned VM because the broadband wasn't "special", tried downloading a file from microsoft technet & was only getting 500Kbps not KB, Kb. The engineer said that the superhub's power was "outside of working parameters", but while he was on the phone, I explained the issue. He suggested I disconnected V+ altogether from the coax cable, power & all other connections, leave it 10 mins, then retry.
The wonders of a reboot....

Now I have surround sound, on a few of the HD channels (so I guess that's based on the programme being broadcast).

Now for the Broadband to be fixed... 50Mbit link should be a little faster - as a test, I tried connecting to newsgroups on the VM news server, got 3Mbit max. I used to have the 20Mbit link at a different house & got 18Mbit.

Thanks for your help on the TV surround sound folks.

chill_fm 09-12-2010 14:48

i have phone a few times at certain times an when phone in the evening which is normally the bad time to do so is i get the indian call centre to which iam really sick an tired of
dont understand a word they are saying how we suppose to get things sorted if they dont no themselves...
when i phone in early evening usually some 1 from retentions dept its always good 2 speak with some 1 who is normal an be able to deal with the call there and then an not having to wait longer. or having them to repeat several times to understand the it

TazFTO 10-12-2010 08:30

For the continuing saga... Phoned VM to tell them that the Surround Sound was working but that I'd still need an engineer for the Broadband, "Andy" at VM said that the engineer booked would not be able to help, so he cancelled that engineer & said he'd put me through to the Broadband team - then hung-up.
Re-rang to speak to the broadband team, "Peter" said he would have to do some checks before booking an engineer, even after I told him that their own SuperHub support had said that it needed an engineer out to increase the power in the superhub & that nothing could be done remotely.
Peter then went through a script relating to limited Wireless connectivity - I kept telling him that I was using a wired connection. He was obviously looking at a different superhub as most of the options he was asking me to confirm were not where he was saying they were. He attempted to remote onto the Superhub & couldn't so he said that his manager would call back in the next 30 minutes.
90 Minutes later I phoned VM again as no-one had called. "Mary" said that the engineer would be out as requested. I thought that was the end of it.
Over 2 hours after I was expecting to get the manager call, she phoned. She then changed the wireless settings (changed the broadcast channel to 13 & hid the SSID) saying that will have fixed the problem I've been having with my wired PC only getting (now up to) 20Mbit from a 50Mbit link. By changing the channel to 13, she disconnected my wife's laptop from the internet as the laptop can only use the lower channels.
I ran a quick test & proved that the changes were as much use as a chocolate teapot to a Namibian rhino. She then said she'd send an engineer....
Oh, to add insult to injury, she stayed logged in, locking me out of the Superhub for the next hour.

TazFTO 13-12-2010 08:36

The engineer turned up Saturday morning. He couldn't see anything wrong with it, we ran some tests & I was getting between 35Mbps & 47Mbps. He was helpful & friendly.
Unfortunately, last night, I was back down to 500Kbps for the majority of the evening.
It would appear that at 08:30 on a Saturday morning, I get a 50Mbit link, but on peak times I get 1/100th of that.
It's almost as if there's contention on the connection, but with a cable broadband, that shouldn't be the case.

Digital Fanatic 14-12-2010 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTO (Post 35136623)
The engineer turned up Saturday morning. He couldn't see anything wrong with it, we ran some tests & I was getting between 35Mbps & 47Mbps. He was helpful & friendly.
Unfortunately, last night, I was back down to 500Kbps for the majority of the evening.
It would appear that at 08:30 on a Saturday morning, I get a 50Mbit link, but on peak times I get 1/100th of that.
It's almost as if there's contention on the connection, but with a cable broadband, that shouldn't be the case.

Has Support checked for utilisation on your uBR?

TazFTO 14-12-2010 11:09

Not sure whether it was checked or not, is it something you can check if I pass you my details privately? Or is this something I have to phone customer services about again?

Digital Fanatic 14-12-2010 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTO (Post 35137259)
Not sure whether it was checked or not, is it something you can check if I pass you my details privately? Or is this something I have to phone customer services about again?

I'm not in work at the moment, so would be unable to check for you. Broadband Support would be able to check for you on 151.

TazFTO 14-12-2010 11:25

OK, cheers, I'll phone them tonight & let you know in the morning.

Digital Fanatic 14-12-2010 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazFTO (Post 35137264)
OK, cheers, I'll phone them tonight & let you know in the morning.

Cool

TazFTO 14-12-2010 18:34

UBR all ok. Bob suggested I ran speedtest.net which said I have an 82Mbit connection - impressive....
linked to the VM news server, got between 5 & 10 Mbit.
D/L 2 files from the "gamefiles" server, got almost 40Mbit.

I guess there wasn't a problem after all....?? Going to keep an eye on it & run the same tests when it starts plodding like Pavlov's proverbial.

LveK 28-01-2011 10:50

Just come off the phone to Virgin. Discussed my present bill compared to a new customer and reviewed my options. I now pay £13.25 a month less and have an Telephone package which suits me better.
Thanks Dave :-)

rgeast 14-02-2011 14:49

Email service failed last night - but only selectively. Could not send group emails with an attachment. Rang Tech Support and the first lady tried to help but call cut off whilst I was talking. Rang again, got another lady who said she couldn't help and cut me off whilst I was talking to her (politely). Rang again today and after first call failed at the 'put you through to an adviser' stage got man who tried to help but couldn't find any fault. I can send some emails with attachments to up to around five email addresses but still can't send to, say, 17, with a small (pdf file) attachment. Am having to use Webmail at present but it's not convenient and it doesn't work well on IE8/XP Pro. Normally use Outlook Express which has worked well for the last five years but it seems VM don't like it any more.

Peter_ 14-02-2011 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgeast (Post 35174294)
Email service failed last night - but only selectively. Could not send group emails with an attachment. Rang Tech Support and the first lady tried to help but call cut off whilst I was talking. Rang again, got another lady who said she couldn't help and cut me off whilst I was talking to her (politely). Rang again today and after first call failed at the 'put you through to an adviser' stage got man who tried to help but couldn't find any fault. I can send some emails with attachments to up to around five email addresses but still can't send to, say, 17, with a small (pdf file) attachment. Am having to use Webmail at present but it's not convenient and it doesn't work well on IE8/XP Pro. Normally use Outlook Express which has worked well for the last five years but it seems VM don't like it any more.

If you click this link it has setup instructions for Outlook Express.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MEZONE_OFFSET=

Also if you click the blue writing in my signature below it will show a list of supported email clients including Outlook Express.;)

auldyin 14-02-2011 18:44

Virgin Media have been absolutely fine in technical matter so thumbs up!!
Downside is when enquiring about pricing and billing which is a bit of a joke.

rgeast 14-02-2011 20:35

As my Outlook Express settings had been set automatically using the tool supplied by Virgin Media, I had thought it unlikely that this would be the cause of the problem, especially as it had been working OK up to the previous weekend (6 Feb). However, on investigation I found the server setting was pop.ntlworld.com for each account, not pop3.ntlworld.com as in the article you referred me to. Whilst this seems to relate to receipt of emails rather than sending I was sceptical but having changed all account settings to pop3 a trial email to 17 addresses with a 131kb pdf file attached has worked. I shall have more to send on wednesday so let's hope it keeps working.

hedgie 22-05-2011 00:15

I voted 50/50. If you get offshore anything can happen, if you get UK then it seems much better than is used to be with Nynex, Cable & Wireless and NTL.

My last experience was great. They called me to say that I qualified for a free second room install and a relocation of my V+ folloing the TiVO installation. When I booked the TiVO I was quoted £10.month to keep V+. To be then told it's free...:tu: :) well done VM

Dave9946 22-05-2011 11:54

Voted 50/50 to. For all the moaning a lot of us do I still think they are pretty much ok if it's a standard issue your calling about. When we once called up to change our package a few years ago the indian call centre person we dealt with were fine and understood everything. But in my experience if you get a call centre in india that your calling over a non standard issue or dispute over a service and situation then it's a different matter. It's like they dont understand the issue called about and quote the same standadised answers off there screen without being able to deal with the issue at all simply because they dont seem to be trained on how to deal and solve issues that dont get covered in training.

denphone 22-05-2011 11:58

My customer experiences are 50/ 50 as when my call gets answered by one of these foreign call centres l think oh no not again and generally when my call gets answered by a British call centre worker they usually sort things out.

Rillington 25-05-2011 21:50

I'd agree with that summing up denphone, and that often tends to be the case with other companies as well which outsource customer service to Indian call centres.

Scary 28-05-2011 00:18

virgin media have the worse customer service of any company i have ever conacted, i have working in communications for over 7 years and managed business sales teams for several top company's and if any of my people spoke or delt with people the way virgin media do i would fire them on the spot

ErnieBean 22-06-2011 12:06

Virgin Media customer services are just as bad as the rest of virgin media.
What they need is some strong competition.
Wanted to change my box to a V+ Total charge was going to be £140.00
Been a customer since it was telewest. but will change if BT Vision shows
an improvement

Scary 22-06-2011 23:05

speak to disconnections see what they can do for you

Peter_ 23-06-2011 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scary (Post 35262213)
speak to disconnections see what they can do for you

I think he already has according to his posts in another thread and the prices are standard for that upgrade and he may be best enquiring about TiVo at that price.

ErnieBean 25-06-2011 13:48

Customer services are only interested in two things.
upgrades and new customers
any thing else don't waste your time unless you are willing to cancel VM

fiddy 02-07-2011 08:26

I've never really had any major issues with virgin. Since stepping up to their 50meg though I do feel I'm not getting my true speeds and they keep saying its not true.

But a happy customer in general :)

kenoliver 02-07-2011 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris W (Post 34216771)
This thread is for everyone to note their good/ bad experiences with Virgin Media's customer service department.

Please vote in the poll, and if you have an additional comments please feel free to leave them here!

I've had my share of problems recently particularly with TiVo :(

All my calls to support have been excellent, I have been helped, guided and calmed down by very cheerful helpful folk, :)

I can't speak to highly of all the staff I have spoke to in particular those that work in CEO's office , totally professional and I do believe they actually care :D

So That's been my experience and I have made many calls over he past 2 months

Sooty Baxter 19-08-2011 21:43

Great if you get a UK call centre. I phoned up to enquire about Caller ID yesterday to be told that YES it was available in Brighton (our area was the last to be enabled). The very helpful Scotsman who sorted it said it would take up to 24 hours and it was actually done in about 1 hour! Despite being a Scot, I could understand every word he said;) - which sadly isn't true of the offshore call centres. Sometimes the problem is with the quality of the line to India not just their accent and scripted replies.

beergut100 07-09-2011 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooty Baxter (Post 35290158)
Sometimes the problem is with the quality of the line to India not just their accent and scripted replies.

I agree with this. I spoke to a quite well-spoken Indian woman today, and there was no issue with her accent, but the line was so bad I kept having to get her to repeat herself. I DID tell her that it was the line which was bad, but it made me feel a bit rude nevertheless.

Nicosia 27-01-2012 22:17

I Generally dont need to call them hardly ever and in the many years of service since ntl and the 512kb only connections for £40 a month I have probably only needed to ring 4-5 times for actual problems so the service is very good here but the call centres are poor but who cares when I dont even need them hardly ever..

I get indian people who dont speak a word of english and when I get a uk call centre is one up north who may as well be from india as (no offence to northerners) but I dont understand them either lol. Not that they understand my "posh" cambridge accent either

I am happy like this having a great service and never needing to call them.. I would hate it if it was the other way around.

kafui 28-01-2012 17:47

I had an experience today Saturday 28th Januray 2012 when i received my upgrade contract from the post.
My new contract had a few billing issues which were not clear to me as when i agreed this new contract certain aspects of my loyalty discount and other charges were not clarified in the same way.
I was offered a Tivo 500gb, broadband 10mb and telephone M all for £46.90 with my discount but my new contract read £54.90.First three months was going to be £34.90 but this was not clearly shown on the new contract.
So idecided to call virginmedia retentions teams to ask for a clarification of this new contract. When i was put through i spoke to a lady in the dept explaining the reason for my call and she started of so rudely. I then explained that it was not explained to me that way but all i wanted was a contract that clearly gave a break down of what i will pay as per my earlier discussion with outbound retentions who prepared my bill. The lady's attitude then shifted to 'overdrive' saying that You have got the offer so whats the problem here. I then said to her i need it in writing as i had suffer from a similar experience. She kept on on and i said to her just send me a letter to that effect.
After i ended the conversation i thought back at the whole conversation and said to myself no want should talk me like this, after all i am paying for a service so i expected to be treated fairly and politely.
I then called retentions back and told them to cancel my upgrade installation and have given notice for collection of virginmedia equipment.
Another service provider out there will give me a better service.

jaf1968 26-04-2012 09:12

I've just experienced the exact opposite. Called at 10am last Saturday as my new contract wasn't the price I was expecting and I had an installation fee listed.
Lady who I spoke to was polite, helpful and friendly. Got everything sorted in one call.

Think it just depends who you get through to on the day. No excuse for rudeness though, as you say we are paying them!

cart239 06-05-2012 10:00

Hi,
I have been a TW/VM customer since 2004 & only in last 2 or 3 weeks have I had my 1st problems with them. I managed to speak to a British advisor who helped me resolve at least 1 issue & received a reduction in my bill due to this. When I asked about another issue she could not give me a direct answer.

Then to cap it all I find out that my parents next door neighbour who has also been a customer as long as I have & she received a courtesy call from VM asking if she would like to switch to a Tivo box with installation fee waved.

When I enquired, I was going to have to pay the installation fee!! Argh!

I wish VM would make their mind up about loyalty to their long standing customers.

denphone 06-05-2012 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cart239 (Post 35424013)
Hi,
I have been a TW/VM customer since 2004 & only in last 2 or 3 weeks have I had my 1st problems with them. I managed to speak to a British advisor who helped me resolve at least 1 issue & received a reduction in my bill due to this. When I asked about another issue she could not give me a direct answer.

Then to cap it all I find out that my parents next door neighbour who has also been a customer as long as I have & she received a courtesy call from VM asking if she would like to switch to a Tivo box with installation fee waved.

When I enquired, I was going to have to pay the installation fee!! Argh!

I wish VM would make their mind up about loyalty to their long standing customers.

Yes l phoned up to get a complete breakdown of my bill as l believe they are overcharging me by at least £4 and first of all l got this american accent on the line and l was stating to him via a print out of my bill online what l am being charged on my bundles and what l believe l should be paying and he tried to come out with a load of nonsense and to be perfectly honest l do not think he knew exactly what he was talking about so then l phoned up again and got a Scottish accent on the end of the phone which l could understand but alas the same confusement when l tried to explain to her transpired and she was adamant that l was not being overcharged but l still believe l am but what also irritates me is two things and that is one loyalty seems to mean nothing as any loyalty discounts seem to have disappeared totally since l have got my TiVo's and two their bills are a maze of different charges and fees that hardly anybody knows whether they are being charged the right amount or are being overcharged for their packages.

vvw25w 15-09-2012 13:03

Nearly 3 weeks ago one of my BY email addresses, which I get in to my Gmail account, left a message Unable to forward email as size discrepancy. I went to login to webmail and was told no such email address. Through VM forums I discovered my long term email addys had been orphaned from my VM accounts. So...150...got 1st line overseas support people. For 30 mins a man talked rubbish, listened to nothing I said, had background conversations with his mates and then said he could not do anything , would put me through to 2nd line, 25 mins later, answered and 2nd line aupport agreed my addys were "orphaned" he could sort it but it may take 24/48 hrs to work through the system.. I would be able to access my 2 email addresses but would probably lose my main email address. "Wait 24 hours, I will leave a message for 1st line support on your account stating I have asked you to ring back in 24 hours and what I have done" , then I was told to phone back on Saturday (60 hours). Sat am cannot sort it out cos MYVM login isn't working nationwide..Sat PM MYVM now says I have my email aliases but no actual login to MYVM or webmail.."ring 150"..a support person who insists I d/load and run logmein rescue.exe on my LINUX system!!...does not work..tells me they will change my password..then cannot and reads the message left by 2nd line support on Thursday and tells me it says I need to wait 24 hours..THAT WAS FROM THURSDAY..but insists I wait another 24 hours.. Sunday work through 1st line again..2nd line tell me "You are at the right man, I deal with this, I need to go in to the code and change some things to sort this out. Give me 3 to 5 days" 6 days later..Still no login contact them again and told here is a fault number but it will take 7 to 10 days to sort out! No they cannot keeo me updated, but I can ring in and ask, and No they will not tell me when it is sorted.."Just keep trying it" in over 2.5 weeks..dealt with 12 separate "Support" people.

Still cannot login to webmail

And now cannot log in to MYVM.

27monksbury 01-10-2012 18:26

The Virgin media I have is excellent, it has never broken down. However when I requested an extra Tivo box I was told 16 days was the first appointment I could get. 3 days before this I phoned up they told me they had no trace of my order, and if I wanted it I would have to reorder. I gave them my job number and was told she could not check it on her computer. I was given an appointment 18 days hence. I told her if it was not fitted 3 days hence as agreed I would change to Sky. Thankfully it was fitted on time. But what a job.

Qtx 11-12-2012 10:20

The worst customer service from a company I have ever received x10

The amount of times I have been promised a phonecall back from them and it never happened, I would run out of fingers on my hand. 5 times they said they would send me out a piece of equipment but sent the wrong item. 4 Times I have waited in for an engineer that has not turned up. At least they last time they sent me a message to say he wasn't coming, 5 minutes before the end of the day.

I have had them tell me for months there is no problem and it is my equipment until I forced them to come out and have a look, to which they said they would charge if the fault was my own. They finally got down their area network manager who after spending days here, re-pulling cables and everything else concluded the problem was elsewhere on their network as I had been telling them for months.

Forum staff told me there is no problem with my connection then a few days later say its overutilised. They would have seen it was close to the threshold when they first replied but instead say everythings fine and normal.

Complaints department didn't write reply.

The indian call centre have cut me off numerous times within seconds of calling and the times I have got through to them they were no help at all.

I could go on and on but instead i'll summarize the poll results so far:

40% think VM customer support are at least ok or higher
60% have had a bad customer experience at least once

Or to break it down futher
40% ok service
20% had good and bad service
40% have had poor to terrible service

Not good numbers no matter how you break them down.

Peter_ 11-12-2012 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35509866)
The worst customer service from a company I have ever received x10

Are you still with them if so why are you still with them as your complaint history is your way out.

Qtx 11-12-2012 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35509941)
Are you still with them if so why are you still with them as your complaint history is your way out.

Every month they would tell me the fix date is 30 days away. When that date arrived they would move it back another month. A dirty trick to retain customers in my opinion.

This month they were finally honest and gave April 2013 year as the real fix date after lying for many many months. So I have given my notice and I will be free of VM in a few days time.

My opinion of VM will still be valid for some time after I stop becoming a customer of theirs. I have had many years with them to build up an accurate opinion ;)

Don't worry, i'll point out any of Sky's faults if they treat me as bad as VM have.

H0ND0 22-12-2012 14:07

Half the time I consider myself lucky if I can understand what they are saying :erm:

Hugh 22-12-2012 15:37

Yeh, I know - the Scots accents can be quite thick, can't they?

RichardCoulter 22-12-2012 16:45

He'll have meant the Indian call centre.

I refuse to deal with them, so have been given a different number to use.

Hugh 22-12-2012 16:50

Really - do you think he meant that?

RichardCoulter 22-12-2012 16:52

Yes.

Most people can understand Scottish people as they are part of the UK and we hear them all the time, even if only on TV or radio.

I've never had any problems with Scottish people understanding me, but, the asians are useless.

Two examples:

1) Me: I need my customer account number.

Her: ok, I can help you with that, can I take your customer account number please?

2) Me: Can you tell me more about the scheme where one can buy cheaper minutes to mobiles to use from my landline?

Her: You'll need to ring Virgin Mobile.

Me: Why?

Her: Because we don't deal with Virgin Mobile here.

Me: But I don't have or want a Virgin Mobile 'phone?

Most are useless at speaking good English and are totally thick IMO.

They speak their rigidly adhered to script very politely though, whilst the likes of Albert Dock are closed down.

Hugh 22-12-2012 16:57

Well, I'm Scottish, and you don't seem to understand irony.....

RichardCoulter 22-12-2012 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35515508)

I had no idea where you were from, so, indeed, the irony was lost.

H0ND0 22-12-2012 19:14

Quote:

That doesn't sound like a Scottish accent to me.

I'm about 20 miles away from a Brummie accent. :D

The best neutral English accent I've heard, was a couple I met who had come south of the border from Inverness. :)

Quote:

He'll have meant the Indian call centre.

Correct!! & I wouldnt mind but have come into direct contact with folks from India in my working live & never had a problem. :confused:

Qtx 23-12-2012 18:19

Quote:

The initial joke was subtle but was quickly overshadowed by the sarcasm which was also missed.

Sirius 24-12-2012 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by H0ND0 (Post 35515551)

Correct!! & I wouldnt mind but have come into direct contact with folks from India in my working live & never had a problem. :confused:

I have problems because i wear hearing aids and the line to India is generally a lot quieter than a UK originated call.

neilo 15-01-2013 23:07

Back on topic I must say that VM customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. I think I could write a book I've had so many issues with them. I honestly don't know why I stay. Well I do, money, but aside from that I should have left ages ago.

Take the latest episode. Wanted Sky Sports HD put on, so tried online to upgrade but site kept crashing. Eventually did it. Three days later the channels only go on the V+ box (again!). I phone up, 12 minute call for agent to say customer services need to put a code on and they're shut. Can I call back. No offer to do it for me.

I phone in and get it added two days later. I complain by email. A week later I get a call. Agent apologises, says she has never known that before, I say it's happened to me several times before. Agent promises £14 compensation for two lots of £7 for the mess up. Fine I thought. Now I see she's credited me seven pounds and debited me seven pounds on my bill so the fourteen pounds compensation is actually nothing!!!

they are appalling. Just truly awful.

Hugh 16-01-2013 10:55

Pretty appalling service - I would suggest your ring CS again, and ask to get put through to a supervisor, and try to get it sorted that way.

hedgie 19-01-2013 20:36

Had pretty good service over the last ten months. Just wish they had a policy of automatically putting you on the best deal.

I had a niggling TiVO problem which went on for about two months. Once they had tried twice to fix it I was passed to the regional service manager, me gave me his mobile number and appointments were made directly with very small time windows which was a big help to me. Once that fault was fixed the only other dealing I had was to do a second box install which went well. The engineer even set the remote to work the volume on my TV without being asked. All in all a good example.

I had one billing query when I realised my current package was more expensive than current ones, this was around summer when the double speed hit my area. In one phone call to what I think was the Scottish Call centre, certainly a Socttish agent, this was recognised and resolved with no hassle at all.

The only issue I had was them not acknowledging I was a long serving loyal customer. Due to a divorce my ex wife kept the "old" account. I couldnt get any credit for this and they wouldn't give the package I used to be on. I have had cable since the Nynex, Analogue Jerrold days,,,

All in all, pretty happy. My 60Mb connection runs two Xbox's a tablet and two laptops, streams HD well for me it just works :D

:tu:

ocav 12-03-2013 13:26

All in all, ive been alright with Virgin Customer Services,

When we moved house, they changed our package over saving us over £10 a month (putting us on the Premiere Collection)

However, just a week after the install at the new house, we lost most of the TV Channels as well as our internet connection. I contacted CS and they could see the problem, the agent even said "your upstream signal is too high" and that it was probably only affecting people in your street "which is only about 5/6", he then proceeded to book an engineer but told me that they needed "10 complaints to make it an area problem" though it was quite clearly an area problem if it affected the whole street, but it would never get enough complaints to turn it into an area problem.

It took 5 days to fix, even with multiple calls recieved from them stating the problem had been fixed.

Also experienced problems adding the Sky Movies HD Channels, took 3 calls to get them activated.

tizmeinnit 12-03-2013 14:08

My view has remained constant. If you speak to a Brit you get sorted if you end up offshore its a nightmare to get them to understand

Samkendal 14-04-2013 10:51

Dreadful. I have been with company (Cabeltel, NTL, Virginmedia) for 10 years (phone broadband, TV, mobile phones). Recently needed customer service. Discovered customer service was appalling, communication very poor, serious and persistent over charging, failure to keep telephone appointments, slow responses. I'm off

pabscars 14-04-2013 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35547411)
My view has remained constant. If you speak to a Brit you get sorted if you end up offshore its a nightmare to get them to understand

:tu:

neilo 08-05-2013 22:52

Jus going through a change of address with Virgin. Everything going ok so far.... Surely something will go wrong???

Sirius 08-05-2013 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35569711)
Jus going through a change of address with Virgin. Everything going ok so far.... Surely something will go wrong???

It will now you have tempted fate :)

Dash: CF noob 08-05-2013 23:27

just ordered a new remote from offshore, excellent service offered a free replacement immediately "as im a good customer" cant fault service again.

Dr Gonzo 03-09-2013 16:04

Just recently spoke to retentions for the first time and I found it a very easy experience.
Told them about the Sky deal offering a free 2Tb box, free broadband and a discount on the Sports package, and they were more than accommodating.
Managed to upgrade to a 1Tb Tivo box (from a V+Hd box), 60Mb (from 20Mb) BB and Phone XL (from L) all for an extra £7 and reduced the installation from £49.95 to £5.99.

Can't wait until the 13th for it all to be plumbed in.

A lot better than speaking to offshore customer services 3 years ago when I was on M+ wanting to take advantage of a half price upgrade to XL, but was informed that it was only on one jump of package (M+ > L or L > XL) that was after I was told I could have the deal, then was put on hold for 10 minutes and then someone hung up on me.
To say I was miffed was an understatement. I got a pretty good 12 month deal after I complained.

Hence why I vote 50/50

Sigma 03-09-2013 23:41

To me, over the years it went from pretty poor, to very good (back when the support newsgroups were still available and the call centres were all UK-based), to utter crap.

A few months ago VM had routing issues. I phoned them up and allowed a support guy to remotely access my PC, as he was insistent that it was my settings that were to blame. He tinkered about with IE, resetting the browser and tinkering with plug-ins, despite me telling him that I use Opera as my default browser. When he realised that he was getting nowhere, he told me that "Google is having server issues and they host the sites that you currently can't access. It will be fixed in 24 hours, but call back if it's not". This was obviously a lie in order to just get me off the phone. I phoned back the next day and got through to someone in the UK and they actually knew what I was talking about when I said "routing issues" and the issue was reported and fixed a couple of days later.

A couple of weeks ago, my broadband went down. It wasn't back on after a couple of hours so I dialled 150. I was on hold for 70 minutes, nobody answered, so I gave up.

The other day I noticed that a couple of channels were missing on my TV and were throwing up 3202 error pages. Today I phoned VM to try and get this sorted and I was on hold for 32 minutes before I gave up waiting.

Since June 25th I've had intermittent issues with receiving email. There is a long thread that I started on the official VM forums about this and lots of other customers are affected, but for a couple of weeks they tried to fob everyone off saying it was their settings, then they opened a ticket but didn't reply to the thread for 2-3 weeks, despite people asking for updates and getting very frustrated. Then the ticket was closed and we were all told that no issues had been found, despite people continuing to post about them. People started complaining to the CEO and another ticket was opened, but the issue still hasn't been resolved and it's been 10 weeks since it was originally reported.

When the VM support newsgroup was available, you could get a fast response from someone who clearly knew what they were talking about. When the call centres were UK-based, I would rarely get through to someone that was clueless. VM have not only cut costs by using call centres based outside the UK, but they have cut costs even further by not training the staff that man them properly. Also, it appears that in recent weeks, either the number of support calls being made to VM has shot up massively, or they have made a lot of staff redundant, because I have never waited on hold so long for someone to answer the phone with any other company.

I need a fast broadband connection and unfortunately, Virgin are currently the only company in my area that can offer one. If that wasn't the case, I'd have left ages ago.

clappy1967 28-09-2013 13:02

Please enjoy this chat with Virgin customer service... I have just had it:

Jenna: Hi, welcome to Virgin Media. How can I help?
Jenna: Just type your question below…
You: I was checking the starter collection
Jenna: i would be happy to assist you with Starter Collection.
Jenna: May I ask if you're already a Virgin Media customer?
You: I noticed that in ur website I cannot add caller dispay
You: not now
Jenna: Thank you for the information.
You: I was, I left to go to BT and now I was checking f it was better virgin or talk talk
You: as bt contract is over in 2 months
You: so in your webisite
Jenna: With our Starter Collection, you will get Broadband 30Mb, TV M (60+ Channels) and Phone M along with TiVo Box - HD activated and a Virgin phone line. Stater Collection costs £23.99 a month for the first 6 months and £32.99 a month thereafter. You have to pay £49.95 for its installation.
You: if I choose the starter collection
You: ok
Jenna: There is no limit on the total volume of data that you can download or upload during a month with Broadband 60Mb.
You: but in the website
You: I cannot add the caller display orr the call divert why?
You: I need to choose a more expensive collection even if I don't need it
Jenna: You can add caller ID you for that you need to call customer care once you place your order.
You: ok so essential collection 60 Mb, call divert, and other calling feature, which is the price monthly?
You: and the contact lenght
Jenna: With our Essential Collection you will get Broadband 30Mb, TV M+ and Phone M along with TiVo 500GB box and a Virgin phone line.
Essential Collection costs £27.99 a month for the first 6 months and £40.99 a month thereafter. You will get free installation worth £49.95.
Jenna: It would be 18 month contract.
You: and which is thew price for the other add on I quoted
You: so I refer to to starter collection in my question
You: essential is of no interest to me
Jenna: Alright.
You: starter collection 60MB+call divert+ 3 or more calling features= ??
Jenna: Starter Collection comes with Broadband 30Mb.
You: your website give the option of 60mb too for the starter collection
You: so?
Jenna: I am sorry, we can't make any change in predefined Collection.
Jenna: You can have Standalone Broadband 60Mb.
You: so you state that the starter collection is only 30MB and your website states 9 quids for states that it is available at 30 and 60MB
You: when was the last time you checked your website?
You: presvently I arrived to 60MB=tv M plus phone M=24 in your website
Jenna: Please can you send me the link?
You: http://store.virginmedia.com/quick-c...ER_BUNDLE_BB60
You: what would you think if you call me to buy a product I support and I have no clue
You: would you still buy that product from me?
Jenna: Unfortunately, we are not authorise to call you. I will be glad to assist you in selecting your packages online.
You: lol
You: never mind
You: I fear you have no clue about the package you have online
You: as I see you have something
Jenna: http://store.virginmedia.com/bundles...ollection.html
Jenna: Please simply copy that link and paste it on your web browser's address bar to open it.
You: ok good
Jenna: How are things coming along?
You: I ask it to you
Jenna: £9.00+ line rental £14.99
You: did you read the page you sent to me
Jenna: I am sorry, there is no Broadband 60mb.
You: Get everything in the Starter Collection, but with a mega up to 60Mb broadband speed and the UK's fastest wireless hub¬.£14.00 a month for 6 months
then £23 a month

+ Virgin Phone line
(£14.99 a month)

18 month contract

£49.95 installation charge applies

Buy now
You: that is from your webiste
You: and also this
You: Get everything in the Starter Collection, but with a whopping up to 100Mb broadband speed and the UK's fastest wireless hub¬. £21.50 a month for 6 months
then £30.50 a month

+ Virgin Phone line
(£14.99 a month)

18 month contract

£49.95 installation charge applies

Buy now
Jenna: Ok.
You: so the starter option is sold in 3 flavours
You: 30, 60 or 100
Jenna: My apologies.
You: really
Jenna: GO ahead.
Jenna: With your order.
You: you wasted 10 minutes
You: proving me you have no clue
You: I will post that chat in a blog
You: if you don't mind
You: it is a prove of non support
You: bye
Jenna: As you you wish.
Jenna: Is there anything else I can help you with?
You: lol
You: I asked you something above
You: and you gave me no reply apart telling me that a product virgin sells doesn't exist
Jenna: It is newly lunched offer so I wan not updated, My apologies.
You: well... I saw it two weeks ago in the website
You: and perhaps was there for longer
Jenna: We got starter collection yesterday.
You: ok se the question was:
You: starter collection 60M+call display+3 or more calling feature: how much does it cost?
You: I ask you this as the webiste is not letting me add calling feature and caller display to check the price of what I want.
Jenna: Caller display cost £2.25.
Jenna: However you can add it once you place your order by calling customer care team.
You: fine but I usually check a price before and n ot after placing an order
Jenna: I am sorry, you will get it from customer care once you place your order online order for starter Collection.
You: ok.... thank you
Jenna: You are most welcome.
Jenna: I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
You: no problem

Thank you for chatting with us today!

gregbrighton 05-10-2013 00:02

I have never had a bad experience dealing with VM CS. They are courteous and helpful. This is both at the Scottish call centre and overseas centre. If you're nice, pleasant and address them by their first name (they do like that!) they will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs and give you good deals.

I have no idea why other people are having bad experiences with them. :erm: Believe it or not, VM CS is a big reason why I have stayed with them for the last seven or so years and won't be going anywhere else soon. :D

alanbjames 05-10-2013 21:34

They r generally ok until something goes wrong and the support is awful.

adzii_nufc 06-10-2013 13:07

Never had any bad experiences as such yet. It's usually when cancelling something that I find myself frustrated at them even if it's British CS. I rang for a replacement Super hub a while back and a woman answered and I just asked for a replacement hub to which I got a reply of we'll need to send an engineer out for the fault. I tried to explain I wasn't stupid and it was completely dead and needed replaced which is a simple postage job with Virgin and then have them collect the old one. She wouldn't have it. Reason this isn't a bad experience is because when I called later on in the day and got through to an Indian chap he was quick to order a new one and understood everything along with going through the correct if not a little silly procedure before ordering.

So yeah sometimes you get more sense from the offshore than you do from home.

weenie 23-12-2013 01:43

virgin media cable in my garden and it is for my neighbours service :mad: Virgin media came out to remove the cable three times and my neighbour gave three different reasons to why she wanted to stay in my garden 1st being that she wanted the service but wanted the cable to remain in my garden 2nd reasons is that she wanted VM to promise that they would not cut through any other cable in her garden to which VM could not guarantee the 3rd and wait for this she then told VM that it was her land. Two field managers came out to see me and i proved the land was mine but they said they would not be moving it and now i have to pay a lawyer to send a copy of the deeds to their legal team :mad: why should i have to pay when i have proved to there field manager the land is mine!!! so angry at VM....why do they not ask my neighbour for prove that the land is her's i will be sending them a letter from my lawyer and i will be claiming my loss from them as i have proved the land is mine as after all TITLE DEEDS PROVE THE LAND IS MINE so what is there problem :confused: Did i say in my opinion VM took the easy way to route the cable as my neighbours garden is full of trees i mean big leylandii trees, where as my garden is soil why does VM do this as only the owner of a property can give them permission.

ocav 23-12-2013 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35657106)
virgin media cable in my garden and it is for my neighbours service :mad: Virgin media came out to remove the cable three times and my neighbour gave three different reasons to why she wanted to stay in my garden 1st being that she wanted the service but wanted the cable to remain in my garden 2nd reasons is that she wanted VM to promise that they would not cut through any other cable in her garden to which VM could not guarantee the 3rd and wait for this she then told VM that it was her land. Two field managers came out to see me and i proved the land was mine but they said they would not be moving it and now i have to pay a lawyer to send a copy of the deeds to their legal team :mad: why should i have to pay when i have proved to there field manager the land is mine!!! so angry at VM....why do they not ask my neighbour for prove that the land is her's i will be sending them a letter from my lawyer and i will be claiming my loss from them as i have proved the land is mine as after all TITLE DEEDS PROVE THE LAND IS MINE so what is there problem :confused: Did i say in my opinion VM took the easy way to route the cable as my neighbours garden is full of trees i mean big leylandii trees, where as my garden is soil why does VM do this as only the owner of a property can give them permission.

If it is on your land and you do not use it why not cut the cable yourself and then when they come to reinstall refuse entry to your property so that they can't route it through your garden. I know it's not the proper way of doing it but it's more likely to get results.

weenie 23-12-2013 02:39

i can't as it is now a legal matter

weenie 04-01-2014 01:18

Does anyone know how long it will take for Virgin media legal department to reply to a letter they received by recorded delivery on the 3rd January.

tdadyslexia 04-01-2014 02:47

@weenie, I think that they are required to get back to you with in 28 days.

weenie 04-01-2014 03:05

---------- Post added at 03:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 ----------

Thank you for the quick reply still cannot believe I have to even do this. I find this whole experience quite daunting especially dealing with such a big company.

weenie 06-01-2014 22:10

Access Filed Manager phoned and was given a reference number for the case and to give them 14 day's also I will be receiving a letter from them confirming the call. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Jimmy-J 07-01-2014 09:08

Generally OK if I can understand their English.

weenie 13-01-2014 01:55

What you seem to get with Virgin Media when you phone them is :blah: you think :wtf: feel like :banghead: then you hang up and they :clap:

SuperHighway 18-01-2014 10:04

Decided to go back to virgin for my TV..already had Phone and Broadband. Called them up to explain what Sky was offering and what could they offer. After some to'ing and fro'ing settled on a final figure for their top bundle. Based on past experience asked the rep to confirm the figure 3 times. Installation went ahead but the SH2 I was promised was no where to be seen - by this time still had not received a contract. Had to sort out the SH2 and on calling up was told they would wave the £20 delivery charge, I would think so as it should have been part of the installation in the first place. Contract turned up and surprise surprise was completely different to what had been discussed. Called them up and complained...said they were sorry that I had been missold but there was nothing they could do. Told them to cancel the TV package and revert me back to my original package. Told they would have to cancel everything and start again. Re-did my sums and I was still saving a little over Sky so decided to take it on the chin and keep the service. Will not be making the same mistake in 12 months time. Will get it in writing before I agree. In addition I was told I would get the netflix trial...5 days passed from the installation and no netflix code. Rang them up to be told sorry you don't qualify. But I was offered it I said, nope you don't qualify. This was the final straw so I said cancel the lot - she then spoke to a "manager" and said she couldn't give me 6 month free trial code but would instead credit me with £5.99 per month to offset the cost of 5 months netflix as I would get 1 month free trial anyway when I signed up............... learnt my lesson for next time.

alanbjames 18-01-2014 10:07

well over the past 2 weeks i feel as if i was lied to.

We had an outage of all services and for around 10 days i was getting high latency on my broadband that Virgin stated they couldn't see at their end.

When i spoke to second line support they also stated they couldn't see a problem yet 2 days later the problem miraculously fixed itself.

weenie 18-01-2014 13:45

Not nice to deal with at all think they should look up the meaning of customer service as they seem to have no idea what it should mean...I to will be leaving them when my contract runs out and I do not care if I will be paying more by going to Sky I say :2up: to Virgin Media.

weenie 18-01-2014 16:14

Chief Executive department phoned me:omg: last night at 7.20 pm and was very nice also said they are now looking into the issue with the cable being laid in my garden, I do not know if this is a good thing or not:confused: I am hoping that means it will be getting removed soon:) they said that they will phone me back on Monday does anyone think this will be good news for me surely if it was not going to be moved they would have said that!!!:shrug:just don't know...What do you guys think

weenie 03-02-2014 23:44

I won cable getting removed on Friday :cleader::cleader::cleader: so so Happy.. ;) legal department has told them to reroute the cable supplying my neighbour to their property and get it off my land :clap: they should have listened to me as I aint like my arrogant neighbour and defo no liar ... Do they not know that Weenie is an :angel:

tizmeinnit 03-02-2014 23:46

this vote shows that VM averages out in the 50 /50 range which really is not good enough imo

weenie 04-02-2014 00:35

I'm surprised it is not lower TBH :erm:

naveedbaig 24-09-2014 07:30

Is that they are improving, or they will improve when they give you a job

DAW8190 06-07-2015 09:44

for download rates they have been excellent for me, for point to point ping, bloody awful. But im still using them so cant be that bad right?

Paul 06-07-2015 17:14

This poll is some 8 years old now, so woefully out of date.

thenry 10-07-2015 00:44

How much are people paying for VM standalone broadband? I've been a cable customer for years, eurobell days and CS/retentions are only willing to knock off £5 a month lol

dave5416 10-03-2016 13:22

Got to say VM are rubbish. Not only have they an open fault ticket for more than 509 days yes that's not a typo 509 days but they don't seem to care either about the prospect of having the matter referred to Ofcom.
If BT fibre was available in my area I would jump but it's not.
Most of the time I get faster broadband on my mobile phone.
I'm awaiting a promised call back from some manager at customer retention team. Only been a week.

H0ND0 10-03-2016 14:14

dave5416 If it's of any help, the link below worked wonders for me. Albeit I made contact with the prior número uno

http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9632

thenry 14-10-2016 16:16

Can VM beat or match Skys box sets bundle, fibre max and any talk anytime for £32.40 ?

denphone 14-10-2016 16:31

Its not a question of price sometimes as for some its more a question of a overall package that suits them and their families needs bud.