Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

smallclone 26-07-2019 10:08

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Am I supposed to get Amazon Prime in 4k through VMedia? I played 'Too Old to Die Young' through the V6 box and it looked absolutely awful - barely 720p. My v6 is set to output 2160p.

The same tv show streamed the same way (WiFi) through a BluRay player gets a lovely 4k picture.

BenMcr 26-07-2019 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 36004171)
Am I supposed to get Amazon Prime in 4k through VMedia? I played 'Too Old to Die Young' through the V6 box and it looked absolutely awful - barely 720p. My v6 is set to output 2160p.

The same tv show streamed the same way (WiFi) through a BluRay player gets a lovely 4k picture.

Yes, you should get 4K. You should be able to tell the Prime Video app output by pressing 'up' to get the transport bar - that'll tell you the resolution format.

One thing to note though, currently Prime Video on the V6 only supports SDR. HDR support will come later but needs a V6 update.

jfman 26-07-2019 11:58

The Now TV 10 month sports pass is back for £199. Cheapest way to watch Premiership football, so other subscriptions required.

smallclone 26-07-2019 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36004174)
Yes, you should get 4K. You should be able to tell the Prime Video app output by pressing 'up' to get the transport bar - that'll tell you the resolution format.

One thing to note though, currently Prime Video on the V6 only supports SDR. HDR support will come later but needs a V6 update.

It just says 'HD' when I press the up button. Odd.

BenMcr 26-07-2019 16:57

Have you rebooted recently. If not try that as I had the same with my 4k TV and a reboot got it showing the proper resolution progression up to Ultra HD.

OLD BOY 26-07-2019 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 36004203)
It just says 'HD' when I press the up button. Odd.

Maybe you selected the HD version of whatever you were watching.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36003997)
If you've got Talking Pictures and Film Four, you need pay for nothing else. All that glitters isn't new. Don't how folks have the time to watch all these channels/streaming rip offs.

You are a very sad man, Mr K!

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

A report hsre on slowing subscriber numbers for Netflix, which should please jfman.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...lly-pertinent/

jfman 26-07-2019 19:11

Two terms I particularly dislike are "sophisticated" and "pragmatic". ;)

Sophisticated implies someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Pragmatic suggests previous optimism will go unrealised.

smallclone 26-07-2019 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36004206)
Maybe you selected the HD version of whatever you were watching.[COLOR="Silver"]

]

It's definitely the 4k version - it says so. I've restarted the box but it still says HD and looks pretty dire.

I know the box does 4K because I've had Wimbledon and the HLG beta stuff on it.

very strange.

saabmania2 26-07-2019 20:26

I see the V6 now has the Amazon prime video app and someone explain the difference between amazon prime video and just prime??
My wife wants to watch the tennis online which is on prime can this be done through the video app?

RobboEdin 26-07-2019 21:17

Amazon Prime customers pay £79 a year to Amazon for a number of benefits, including Prime Video.
Prime Video can also, I believe, be bought separately for a monthly charge.

saabmania2 26-07-2019 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36004231)
Amazon Prime customers pay £79 a year to Amazon for a number of benefits, including Prime Video.

thanks I was mainly refering to the app on the V6 box it just says Amazon Prime Video so I take it this is only the film streaming service and you can't watch things like live ATP tennis or "the grand tour"

Gavin-D 26-07-2019 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by saabmania2 (Post 36004222)
I see the V6 now has the Amazon prime video app and someone explain the difference between amazon prime video and just prime??
My wife wants to watch the tennis online which is on prime can this be done through the video app?

Yes. Go to the bottom of the app or sports from the top bar

RobboEdin 26-07-2019 21:38

To watch the tennis, you either have to be an Amazon Prime customer or pay the monthly Amazon Video charge. You have to be a paying Amazon customer.

Gavin-D 26-07-2019 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by saabmania2 (Post 36004236)
thanks I was mainly refering to the app on the V6 box it just says Amazon Prime Video so I take it this is only the film streaming service and you can't watch things like live ATP tennis or "the grand tour"

You can watch live tennis (Premier league in December too I would imagine) and the grand tour you can also watch content in UHD

Legendkiller2k 26-07-2019 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36004231)

£59 if you sub on Prime day.
Prime video costs £5.99 on it's own.