Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Streaming : Reacher (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710638)

Chris 06-02-2022 23:48

Re: Reacher

Indeed. You may not appreciate the ‘morons in space’ schtick they’re doing but the show is definitely internally consistent. Also, just because the set design doesn’t look like Star Trek doesn’t mean it’s not credible or realistic. It’s sci fi fantasy for smeg’s sake, nothing can travel faster than light so portraying a ship that can is purely down to creative production design. You can like the design or not but to try to argue it’s unrealistic is just silly. I seem to recall a not dissimilar list of whinges over the Mandalorian when they failed to waste an episode showing his ship getting fixed.

SnoopZ 06-02-2022 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112635)
Well you totally missed the point of The Orville. Would have thought having Seth at the lead would have given you the clue

Yes he's missed the point, it's a Comedy. :D

Jaymoss 07-02-2022 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36112637)
Indeed. You may not appreciate the ‘morons in space’ schtick they’re doing but the show is definitely internally consistent. Also, just because the set design doesn’t look like Star Trek doesn’t mean it’s not credible or realistic. It’s sci fi fantasy for smeg’s sake, nothing can travel faster than light so portraying a ship that can is purely down to creative production design. You can like the design or not but to try to argue it’s unrealistic is just silly. I seem to recall a not dissimilar list of whinges over the Mandalorian when they failed to waste an episode showing his ship getting fixed.

but he creamed over Dune

Paul 07-02-2022 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36112633)
All my friends rant and rave about The Orville and say it is more like Star Trek than Discovery is. I tried it and couldn't get into it for two reasons. You for all intents and purposes have highly trained Starfleet officers who are constantly making inappropriate jokes either on the bridge during tense situations or during diplomatic talks. It wouldn't happen.

You know its supposed to be slightly comedic, right ? :erm:
JFYI, They have actually toned the comedy down a bit as its progressed.

General Maximus 07-02-2022 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36112637)
whinges over the Mandalorian when they failed to waste an episode showing his ship getting fixed.

it wasn't that they didn't spend an entire episode showing it getting fixed, it is that they didn't show it getting fixed at all when it it literally crashed into a planet and they through several floors of ice caves or whatever it was the ship was in pieces. They can spend half an episode showing him rebuilding a nabboo star fighter but they can't make a dialogue reference or 60 second showing his ship in a work shop/yard being repaired?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36112639)
but he creamed over Dune

absolutely flipping brilliant

Here's another good one for you. Last year I was flicking through the channels while I was having lunch one day and an episode of MacGyver had just started. It started off with him and his friend being trapped in something like a cargo container and they were sitting there gently rocking backwards and forwards. The scene then changed and they cut to an external view of the container being in something like a hurricane or tornado being carried over a great distance and constantly rolling over on the ground. It then cut back to MacGyver and him gently rocking backwards and forwards talking and then the outside shot again and it went back and forth for about 5 minutes. I laughed my ass off.

I don't sit there with a check list picking through episodes. They choose what to show and tell us in the stories and when something happens I can think "oh wow, that's cool, that would actually happen like that (in the case of the amazing physics in The Expanse) or in the case of MacGyver, what a joke. It was like a constant contradiction and was as if they thought the audience were stupid. It didn't make sense at all.

I'll have one last nit pick at Bobba Fett. How many times does he have to be challenged or attacked before he takes actions. He keeps backing down, letting assassins go, giving appeasement gestures, "talking", not asserting his authority when required and behaving like a complete pansy. "If you guys won't stand up for your planet and territory don't worry, sit there and do nothing and I will do it for you.................but I probably won't and I am going to get the Mandalorian to do it instead........watch this space."

Hugh 07-02-2022 12:59

An author I follow (@scalzi) summed it up for me

Quote:

We binged the new Reacher series this weekend and it delivered on what was promised, which was a large slab of human beef repeatedly punching an entire corrupt town in the face, ostensibly for justice. I liked the Tom Cruise Reacher just fine, but this version is more on point.

BenMcr 07-02-2022 13:21

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36112633)
Secondly, the sets and especially the bridge was too plain and simplistic and you can't believe it has all the necessary controls and functionality for a starship.

I don't see a huge difference in design between the Ent-D bridge and the Orville's. But then that's likely on purpose based on Seth Macfarlane's love of Star Trek

noel43 07-02-2022 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36104200)
Reacher was 36 (in the books) when he left the Military - the actor playing him in the series is 38.

If you liked Reacher, try author Nick Petrie's series (Peter Ash) book 1 The Drifter. Just reading second book and enjoying it.

Hugh 07-02-2022 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 36112725)
If you liked Reacher, try author Nick Petrie's series (Peter Ash) book 1 The Drifter. Just reading second book and enjoying it.

Thanks.

In return, I’d recommend the Spenser books, by Robert B Parker (there are 50 in total).

noel43 07-02-2022 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36112730)
Thanks.

In return, I’d recommend the Spenser books, by Robert B Parker (there are 50 in total).

Read some of them, will get back to them at some point.

General Maximus 08-02-2022 01:06

Just finished watching Reacher and loved it. I can't wait for more and the good news is that this is the kind of character and series which can go on indefinitely and keep telling different stories similar to Jack Bauer and 24. It is a huge coincidence but it worked out very nicely that I watched this straight after watching the latest season of Dexter. Lana being in it was a nice surprise and the icing on the cake.

Paul 08-02-2022 02:09

Who is "Lana" ?

1701-e 08-02-2022 08:52

Glad it was renewed so quickly.... Bring it on.

General Maximus 08-02-2022 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36112764)
Who is "Lana" ?

Watch the whole thing, it is only 4 minutes long.

I wish there was a 20 hour video of every scene she was in from all 10 seasons.

Jaymoss 08-02-2022 09:14

arrrr you mean Meg