Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   General : Stargate SG-1 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=2705)

Chris 01-10-2003 22:07

Re: stargate sg1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic22
well then people what did everyone think to the opening episode of series 7?

The Daniel-Jackson's-lost-his-memory storyline was shaping up nicely ... lots of moody character development etc etc, and then they just threw it all aside to go blow the special effects budget on a homage to the Death Star Battle. It was all very nicely done, but I wish they'd concentrated on the interesting character stuff for a bit longer.

homealone 01-10-2003 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by towny
The Daniel-Jackson's-lost-his-memory storyline was shaping up nicely ... lots of moody character development etc etc, and then they just threw it all aside to go blow the special effects budget on a homage to the Death Star Battle. It was all very nicely done, but I wish they'd concentrated on the interesting character stuff for a bit longer.

agree "homage" was a better description than rip-off, towny, the thought had crossed my mind;)

- allegedly "character development" is what this series is all about - I said I can't wait:) - have you heard anything about the Atlantis spin-off?

Mal 01-10-2003 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
have you heard anything about the Atlantis spin-off?

Stargate Atlantis

homealone 01-10-2003 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Chris 02-10-2003 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

Heven help us, they're going to do Seaquest ...

Mal 02-10-2003 11:19

Quote:

Heven help us, they're going to do Seaquest ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maggy 02-10-2003 12:49

Well I won't bother with that.Once the original finishes I think that should be that.Else we will end up with terrible plot repeats as we got with all versions of Star Trek.

Incog. :)

dr wadd 02-10-2003 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal

That's been in the works for several months now

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/index.shtml

But at least that is in keeping with the current series. I've yet to see it myself, but from what I`ve read Stargate Infinity is the one to avoid.

Chris 02-10-2003 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by homealone
agree "homage" was a better description than rip-off, towny, the thought had crossed my mind;)

The sequence where the Goauld (sp?) weapon's power core blows up is almost identical to the Death Star's power core explosion from Return of the Jedi ... I only wish I could post stills of the two side by side! My Film Studies graduate missus has a word for this - 'intertextuality'. It's where the director consciously pays a complement to a previous film by making reference to it in his own (another example - I was watching Dr Dolittle on ITV1 last night. Eddie Murphy walks past a dog in the pound, which mutters 'I am Keyser Sose' at him...)

dr wadd 02-10-2003 15:24

I also don`t ever recall seeing an energy weapon in SG1 having recall before, but the cannon on Anubis' mothership in the shot where the 302 was tracked flying past looked suspiciously like a Death Star turbo-laser.

I`m also not sure whether there was an Star Trek reference in there as well with Daniel constantly calling O`Neill "Jim". I was wondering whether this is a reference to Star Trek 4 when Spock is back from the dead and Kirk is trying to persuade Spock to call him Jim.

dr wadd 02-10-2003 15:25

Quote:

The sequence where the Goauld (sp?) weapon's power core blows up is almost identical to the Death Star's power core explosion from Return of the Jedi

I found all the Star Wars references rather amusing, and was giggling out loud when that particular one came up.

Chris 02-10-2003 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr wadd
I also don`t ever recall seeing an energy weapon in SG1 having recall before, but the cannon on Anubis' mothership in the shot where the 302 was tracked flying past looked suspiciously like a Death Star turbo-laser.

I`m also not sure whether there was an Star Trek reference in there as well with Daniel constantly calling O`Neill "Jim". I was wondering whether this is a reference to Star Trek 4 when Spock is back from the dead and Kirk is trying to persuade Spock to call him Jim.

Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised ... personally my favourite line from the whole episode was probably this masterful piece of self-reference:

Quote:

Alien bloke: Is he [Tealc] a Jafar?
O'Neill: No, but he plays one in a TV show.

zoombini 02-10-2003 16:06

Its also surprising that no-one told Jim to "use the force" when he was blowing up the death star..lol

It was all a bit farsical.. Still, thats what SG1/Star Trek/Star Wars/etc is all about..
Good fun though.

ZrByte 02-10-2003 17:20

I love all the Wizard of OZ refferences in SG-1, always make me chuckle :D
I never actually noticed the Starwars Refferences though now you mention it there seem to be a lot of similarities.

There is also a refference to aliens I believe when Daniel cant remember his way to the cargoship.

I was going to take those screenshots for you to compare but for some reason windows refuses to take them, it used to work :shrug:

Atomic22 02-10-2003 20:25

yeh stargate has been quoting wizard of oz since series one....the plots for series 8 look good though