Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   mj Quinn bt openreach engineers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692053)

cld1987 09-10-2013 13:14

Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Just ring 0151 547 8800 and ask to be through to recruitment. It's irrelevant whether I am or not, mate. It is what it is, self employment.

disco1 09-10-2013 14:23

i understand, thanks. least i know now that both quinn's and kelly's i'd be self employed. i think that's the way f-tel was also if i remember correctly. thanks again.
i suppose its a personal choice. take the plunge or not haha

insulatorpotty 09-10-2013 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cld1987 (Post 35629815)
Just ring 0151 547 8800 and ask to be through to recruitment. It's irrelevant whether I am or not, mate. It is what it is, self employment.

LOL. another condescending piece of nonsense and from the arrogance of your post you are definitely a quinn manager or member of the inner circle up there. We are all intelligent enough to understand the concept of self employment and undertake the responsibilities involved. However most self employed workers ie plasterers , get some say in what they do and how much they get paid. That in fact is the basis of the definition of self employed according to employment law and the hmrc. Something quinns seemed to have not bothered to study too closely. if quinns engineers are self employed how come they cannot invoice for no access, returns to bt, time wasting by control etc. which any other self employed person is entitled to do. quinns want all the benefits of having employed staff but none of the costs.
The plain fact is that after nearly 3 years of this contract it is still being poorly run and that is down to management, no one else.

mjquinnemployee 10-10-2013 16:07

Insulatorpotty you got it right. You are not self employed, I don't care what quinns tells you. Another example, I tried to insure the tools that quinns gave me, and the insurance company would not insure them because QUINNS owns the tools! You are not allowed to use your own tools. If I was self employed I would pay a small amount to insure myself against heavy losses if tools go walking.
If you are self-employed, why do you get 50 calls a day from control checking what time you got on site, what is the status of the job, why isn't this job finished...blah blah blah...that sounds like I am working for somebody else to me!! right??
I post on here to INFORM other misfortunate souls the truth about this company. I am not here to "get something for nothing."
Just some interesting facts about MJ Quinn for those interested in working for them. I can only speak of Copper Provision, although I am dual skilled.

Training costs will be charged to you if you do not complete the required 26 weeks. That total could top £1690 for a 13 day course that you will be liable for if you cannot for some reason complete.

Training records will be held by mj quinn and they will not give them to you until you either pay for your training or complete 26+ weeks. They own them and the training company has an agreement not to release them to you.

You have to pay for your own public liability insurance. £6 a month. worth it!

Van insurance deductible is £500-1000 or higher if you have a accident on your record

You will pay for your own fuel. So you work 1 whole day just to pay your fuel for the week.

they charge £25 a day if you are off sick with a doctors note, it is £50 a day if no sick note. (like if the teachers go on strike and you have no childcare!)

Fines from auditors are always a possibility. (cld1987 I am not lazy, dozey or shabby and NO I have never received a fine) I am not complaining, just saying this is something people coming on do not know about in advance.

BT Hubs are always busy. If you are on copper you can only work as fast as you can get ahold of the hub sometimes. I have been sitting for up to an hour trying to get ahold of them.

If the exchange doesn't get to your job, you get a tenner no matter how long you have worked. Same goes for d-side faults, if BT doesnt show to fix it THAT DAY, you get a tenner. I have had many BT engineers call me the next morning to tell me they got the problem fixed. I just tell them it doesnt matter to me cause I am only getting a tenner.

I hear MI is decent, and you can make good money. Copper provision is not worth it, you will just get taken advantage of. Depends where you are working at too.

I work hard, and I don't want something for nothing, but I do expect to get paid for each and every job I do. Otherwise it seems, that quinns is the one getting something for nothing. :mad:

insulatorpotty 10-10-2013 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjquinnemployee (Post 35630378)
Insulatorpotty you got it right. You are not self employed, I don't care what quinns tells you. Another example, I tried to insure the tools that quinns gave me, and the insurance company would not insure them because QUINNS owns the tools! You are not allowed to use your own tools. If I was self employed I would pay a small amount to insure myself against heavy losses if tools go walking.
If you are self-employed, why do you get 50 calls a day from control checking what time you got on site, what is the status of the job, why isn't this job finished...blah blah blah...that sounds like I am working for somebody else to me!! right??
I post on here to INFORM other misfortunate souls the truth about this company. I am not here to "get something for nothing."
Just some interesting facts about MJ Quinn for those interested in working for them. I can only speak of Copper Provision, although I am dual skilled.

Training costs will be charged to you if you do not complete the required 26 weeks. That total could top £1690 for a 13 day course that you will be liable for if you cannot for some reason complete.

Training records will be held by mj quinn and they will not give them to you until you either pay for your training or complete 26+ weeks. They own them and the training company has an agreement not to release them to you.

You have to pay for your own public liability insurance. £6 a month. worth it!

Van insurance deductible is £500-1000 or higher if you have a accident on your record

You will pay for your own fuel. So you work 1 whole day just to pay your fuel for the week.

they charge £25 a day if you are off sick with a doctors note, it is £50 a day if no sick note. (like if the teachers go on strike and you have no childcare!)

Fines from auditors are always a possibility. (cld1987 I am not lazy, dozey or shabby and NO I have never received a fine) I am not complaining, just saying this is something people coming on do not know about in advance.

BT Hubs are always busy. If you are on copper you can only work as fast as you can get ahold of the hub sometimes. I have been sitting for up to an hour trying to get ahold of them.

If the exchange doesn't get to your job, you get a tenner no matter how long you have worked. Same goes for d-side faults, if BT doesnt show to fix it THAT DAY, you get a tenner. I have had many BT engineers call me the next morning to tell me they got the problem fixed. I just tell them it doesnt matter to me cause I am only getting a tenner.

I hear MI is decent, and you can make good money. Copper provision is not worth it, you will just get taken advantage of. Depends where you are working at too.

I work hard, and I don't want something for nothing, but I do expect to get paid for each and every job I do. Otherwise it seems, that quinns is the one getting something for nothing. :mad:

spot on mate. :)

Ricfromkent 03-12-2013 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by empire52 (Post 35628773)
Warning to anyone considering working as a frames guy for quinns DONT!!!! The company is s**t 50 hour week take home pay £320 do the maths its minimum wage. I also average 200 miles a day and spend at least £100 a week on fuel £90 per day is a joke. Plus watch it when you return your vehicle the horror stories are true. All irrelevant now as I jacked it in this week

Hi just joined this forum.after seeing your post,had to respond.just been laid off by quinns ,what a waste of space!they expected me to return van to Liverpool from Kent and get home.not bad? They withheld two weeks wages first so how could I pay out over £200 to return van?
They sent a collection company to pick van up.filled out an inspection form which I signed.a week later discovered they were charging me over £400 for damage to the van that was not present when it left here.been told by fleet manager I am responsible for van until it arrived at Liverpool.great no job and thanks to quinns no money and a s**t Xmas for wifeand the kids.stress is making marriage fall apart.been offered job with Kelly's for new year...terrified it's the same old thing again.
Anyone got any suggestions?

MrIca 03-12-2013 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricfromkent (Post 35651778)
Hi just joined this forum.after seeing your post,had to respond.just been laid off by quinns ,what a waste of space!they expected me to return van to Liverpool from Kent and get home.not bad? They withheld two weeks wages first so how could I pay out over £200 to return van?
They sent a collection company to pick van up.filled out an inspection form which I signed.a week later discovered they were charging me over £400 for damage to the van that was not present when it left here.been told by fleet manager I am responsible for van until it arrived at Liverpool.great no job and thanks to quinns no money and a s**t Xmas for wifeand the kids.stress is making marriage fall apart.been offered job with Kelly's for new year...terrified it's the same old thing again.

Probably best to go for the Kelly's job and then look out for jobs in BT when they inevitably recruit again next year. That's all I can say to people, don't let the BT jobs pass you by keep an eye out on bt4me.co.uk

insulatorpotty 03-12-2013 20:42

Quote:

yep complain to some one above the fleet manager, ie the managing director. if youve got proof there was no damage to the van when they collected it you should be ok.

sweaty 04-12-2013 08:15

Jesus they make Kelly's sound good!!

insulatorpotty 28-12-2013 19:24

looks like there will be more engineers leaving quinns in the new year , openreach are trialling customer fibre installs, as it only needs a hub now for BT infinity. .with the engineers just doing the cab work. great if the customer has only a master and or extns wired correctly but if not, thats a visit from another engineer to sort out the star wiring/backfeeding etc. ( will openreach charge for this?? i get the feeling they will :-)

MrIca 29-12-2013 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35658391)
looks like there will be more engineers leaving quinns in the new year , openreach are trialling customer fibre installs, as it only needs a hub now for BT infinity. .with the engineers just doing the cab work. great if the customer has only a master and or extns wired correctly but if not, thats a visit from another engineer to sort out the star wiring/backfeeding etc. ( will openreach charge for this?? i get the feeling they will :-)

It's not in trial anymore it is a proper product. And yes the visit to rectify the problems would be chargeable.

davidd_ma 03-01-2014 11:59

I should have written this earlier, but I could not find time to do it.
In August 2013 I have signed up for MI training with MJ Quinn, the biggest mistake I have ever made!!! To be honest I was very happy I am going to start working for them, because what they were promising sounded very good. Long contract and good money, they were promising 6 jobs a day, that’s the only reason I have started, what more can I want!
But that was far from the reality! I was never to be given enough work, although I have called every day asking for extra work the answer was always the same “We don’t have any more work, unfortunately there is short spell!!!” That “short spell” continued for month and half, for that time my average complete jobs was below 4, which worked out below £80 a day, money before tax and fuel! Try surviving on this when you are the only person providing for a family, I have a wife and a baby at home!
I need to mention this, it’s not that I was not able to do the job, it’s that I was never given enough work!!!
So after month and half I have decided to leave. What they did after I have explained the reason for me leaving (the reason is “Not enough work and I was not able to support my family”) is to not pay my earnings for the last 2 weeks (£595), because I have signed training agreement, which states that if you leave earlier than 6 months you have to cover the expenses for the training! I have checked it with a legal adviser, does not matter the reason one has to pay for the training if leaves early!
So for two months with MJ Quinn I can say they are the worst company. Also I have wasted my time and pretty much I didn’t earn anything for 2 months.
I need to mention this as well: my mate completed the training with me, although they keep telling you that they will help you during your first week alone that was not the case with my mate! His first day alone he rings Controls to ask for assistance, they didn’t even know who his manager was! So he is out on the field until 8-9 p.m. that day and manages to complete 1or 2 jobs. The next day he quits, went back to Liverpool to return the van and he met one of the chaps we did the training with, that chaps is returning the van too and guess why same reason “ NO SUPPORT”. I had same sort of problems too, no support, tried to get through to Controls no one is answering!
STAY AWAY FROM MJ QUINN!!! THE WORST COMPANY!!!
Sorry for the long post!

insulatorpotty 04-01-2014 09:44

im in the same boat too and dont know how long i can continue working below the minimum wage. This contract has been a poorly run since it started but at least there was money to be earnt, but all the promises that if we worked hard we would get better rates, more work have been broken and we are now paying for more out of our own pockets, log books, hand wipes , paper towel, over shoes, filler, marker pens, batteries, rubbish sacks, vinyl gloves. Plus buying/ replacing our own tools/ test leads etc because its impossible to get anything out of quinns.My manager just tells me to sort it out myself. The job rates do not reflect these costs and i sense that this year they will try and drop the rates again. The rate for the sim provides is already a complete joke.
They treat the engineers like dirt , the majority of the staff in the head office have no experience of the job at all, but talk down to the engineers and then wonder why they have such a high turnover of staff.

Although, they have built a little empire in liverpool and created more levels of management up there , they have consistently spread the field support staff as thin as possible. when the contract started there was a supervisor to every 10-15 men, my former manager last year had 90 men and one coach. now managers in some areas are doing exch work , hoist drivers are also doing exch work and are spread over more and more areas and now the hubs are to close. My manager said that they are thinking of giving obass cards to some engineers so they can do their own e sides and those of any other engineers in the area, but for no extra money!!! complete and utter nonsense.
As for the hubs shutting, quinns senior management will do nothing, start screaming and shouting when it all goes wrong and then sack a few people to show who's boss. typical quinns style.

davidd_ma 04-01-2014 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35659881)
im in the same boat too and dont know how long i can continue working below the minimum wage. This contract has been a poorly run since it started but at least there was money to be earnt, but all the promises that if we worked hard we would get better rates, more work have been broken and we are now paying for more out of our own pockets, log books, hand wipes , paper towel, over shoes, filler, marker pens, batteries, rubbish sacks, vinyl gloves. Plus buying/ replacing our own tools/ test leads etc because its impossible to get anything out of quinns.My manager just tells me to sort it out myself. The job rates do not reflect these costs and i sense that this year they will try and drop the rates again. The rate for the sim provides is already a complete joke.
They treat the engineers like dirt , the majority of the staff in the head office have no experience of the job at all, but talk down to the engineers and then wonder why they have such a high turnover of staff.

Although, they have built a little empire in liverpool and created more levels of management up there , they have consistently spread the field support staff as thin as possible. when the contract started there was a supervisor to every 10-15 men, my former manager last year had 90 men and one coach. now managers in some areas are doing exch work , hoist drivers are also doing exch work and are spread over more and more areas and now the hubs are to close. My manager said that they are thinking of giving obass cards to some engineers so they can do their own e sides and those of any other engineers in the area, but for no extra money!!! complete and utter nonsense.
As for the hubs shutting, quinns senior management will do nothing, start screaming and shouting when it all goes wrong and then sack a few people to show who's boss. typical quinns style.

Why don't you quit? To be honest, in my opinion, any job is better than to work for MJ Quinn!!! What I have written is half of the story!

insulatorpotty 04-01-2014 15:26

i like the work and need the money, but believe me ive just spent the last few hours trawling the net for jobs, not a lot out there but will keep looking until i find something as cant carry on jumping to the tune of these fools.
. i know what your saying, ive been on the contract a fair while and could fill this site with stories about quinns poor treatment of its contractors but while i still need the work ill keep quiet.

davidd_ma 04-01-2014 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35659958)
i like the work and need the money, but believe me ive just spent the last few hours trawling the net for jobs, not a lot out there but will keep looking until i find something as cant carry on jumping to the tune of these fools.
. i know what your saying, ive been on the contract a fair while and could fill this site with stories about quinns poor treatment of its contractors but while i still need the work ill keep quiet.

I know what you are saying, it's hard to find a job now and especially around this time of the year! Hope you do soon! Good Luck!

insulatorpotty 04-01-2014 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd_ma (Post 35659961)
I know what you are saying, it's hard to find a job now and especially around this time of the year! Hope you do soon! Good Luck!

yes, you too. cheers.

MrIca 04-01-2014 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35659881)

Giving Obass cards to engineers hey? Oh it's as simple as that, let's just let anyone into BT's sensitive buildings. I'm sure BT should be aware of who holds Obass cards for their buildings rather than them just being passed around. Disgraceful.

Ukjay 15-01-2014 17:37

MjQuinn should be banned by BT! Worst company ever. I left last year and since then I'm a different man, It was so stressfull that everyday was a long day! Don't even like to remember it. Good luck you all!

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Ah just to remind that anyone planning to leave MjQuinn be carefull! They very dodgy! Make sure they pay you before you hand over anything back (tools etc), they found a lot of things on my Van that I've been charge for, thing is that I returned the Van better than when it was given to me! Just be carefull.

sweaty 29-01-2014 20:37

Re the obass cards lots of other contractors have access via them. TBH a contractor can do similar damage with just a set of cab keys!! Most of the big exchanges or level 5 exchanges (something like that..my memory is getting worse) will only allow you into the frame area only and have obass readers on security sensitive areas which won't allow you in depending on your security level. Whilst I was a contractor on frames my BT background allowed me access to higher areas but this was only after a level 3 manager had authorised it. Most high level areas require a call to BT Security to allow you in even after your access had been granted,just to log you in and out. The HDF areas were a good example of this.
TBH most of the fault lies with BT. They want to save money so feel the contractor option is better. On a non-customer facing area his is fine. The LLU work was a good example of this but even then all teams had a BT staff person working and (sometimes) supervising. The training was all done by BT staff and you were treated pretty much equal. Farming out work to McQuinns or Kellys just creates hostility as the BT guys feel they are clearing up the mess whilst the contractors just feel the BT lot are lazy. McQuinss/Kellys don't give a monkeys about the Network just getting the most out of the contract before BT realise what a mistake it was.

Ukjay 29-01-2014 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweaty (Post 35667191)
Re the obass cards lots of other contractors have access via them. TBH a contractor can do similar damage with just a set of cab keys!! Most of the big exchanges or level 5 exchanges (something like that..my memory is getting worse) will only allow you into the frame area only and have obass readers on security sensitive areas which won't allow you in depending on your security level. Whilst I was a contractor on frames my BT background allowed me access to higher areas but this was only after a level 3 manager had authorised it. Most high level areas require a call to BT Security to allow you in even after your access had been granted,just to log you in and out. The HDF areas were a good example of this.
TBH most of the fault lies with BT. They want to save money so feel the contractor option is better. On a non-customer facing area his is fine. The LLU work was a good example of this but even then all teams had a BT staff person working and (sometimes) supervising. The training was all done by BT staff and you were treated pretty much equal. Farming out work to McQuinns or Kellys just creates hostility as the BT guys feel they are clearing up the mess whilst the contractors just feel the BT lot are lazy. McQuinss/Kellys don't give a monkeys about the Network just getting the most out of the contract before BT realise what a mistake it was.

Hi Mate
I totally agree with you, Kelly and MJQuinn will end up destroying the Network! I know, I used to work for Quinns. Hopefully BT will realise what big mistake they doing before it is too late!

MrIca 30-01-2014 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweaty (Post 35667191)

Just make sure every fault caused by Quinn's/Kelly's is reported on the system. Hopefully then they'll get rid of them. Trouble is if no one reports the problems, the company doesn't know which faults are caused by contractors and which aren't.

The other day I saw a Kelly's guy steal a pair going up a pole and another Kelly's guy just go in and fit a microfilter to an extension that was star wired and call it a Managed Install. Absolute joke.

As for some of the things you see in cabinets now, you know it hasn't been done by an Openreach guy as they could well end up fixing it the next day and their colleagues would have it in for them.

Back to Obass, the trouble is a lot of the time the HDFs are in the same room as the MDF so access rights are irrelevant. I'm sorry but Quinn's and Kelly's just should not be in the exchanges. Most of them that I've seen in there haven't got a clue what they are doing.

sweaty 30-01-2014 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35667480)
Just make sure every fault caused by Quinn's/Kelly's is reported on the system. Hopefully then they'll get rid of them. Trouble is if no one reports the problems, the company doesn't know which faults are caused by contractors and which aren't.

The other day I saw a Kelly's guy steal a pair going up a pole and another Kelly's guy just go in and fit a microfilter to an extension that was star wired and call it a Managed Install. Absolute joke.

As for some of the things you see in cabinets now, you know it hasn't been done by an Openreach guy as they could well end up fixing it the next day and their colleagues would have it in for them.

Back to Obass, the trouble is a lot of the time the HDFs are in the same room as the MDF so access rights are irrelevant. I'm sorry but Quinn's and Kelly's just should not be in the exchanges. Most of them that I've seen in there haven't got a clue what they are doing.

They shouldn't be working on the network, let alone the exchanges. There will be 'washing lines' between bar pairs and god knows what else before long. Pole teams are ok as they (imho) are generally experienced but leave the rest to bt or don't pay the contractors per job.

judgey 20-05-2014 10:45

How hard is it going from the Virgin network to working on the bt network, as i am thinking of applying to Mj Quinns. ?

davidd_ma 20-05-2014 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgey (Post 35699794)
How hard is it going from the Virgin network to working on the bt network, as i am thinking of applying to Mj Quinns. ?

I suggest you read this, that is my story with them http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/65...pany-ever.html
Also have a look in this thread there are a few good ones too!
My advice is stay away from MJ Quinn!

Rapicom65 26-05-2014 14:06

Not everyone has bad experiences with MJ Quinn so I would looking into it and make your own judgement. ;)

calcot 26-05-2014 20:59

4get it or kellys

jacker 29-05-2014 01:10

Really MJQ THE WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR boy i got to say no I'm not a manager I'm an engineer who work for them,
Sure there are days that are hard we know that but it's easy to do four a day everyday, if you can't do that, 2 thing move your ass it's your money, i mean really, starting out its going to take a while to know the network 80 % of you that work for MJQ don't have a hawk ! Do you even know how much time it's save you like half of your day, learn the job right if you can, more or less if there nothing up the pole then the pit 99% of the time it's hits the pcp, it's lazy you moan cause its not a 5 min job every job should take 2 hours. Like the first thing you should do is check your e side, cause if it's not at the pcp then boom you know nup e side, give you a chance at the eu your now look for a stop or spares, it's damm lazy, moan moan it's messed the other engineer who work for MJQ up, who can do the job. And just get on with its, stop moaning. the people who have quit or been sack, lol the joke on you, and I've work all over and i do 5 or 6. If your not ex .bt , well let say you got a lot to learn yes it's takes time, every area is different, ex .bt know that, first timer don't. Learn the trade and your earn good money. Fill your paper work in correct, you shouldt get tax on your wages. It's just funny cause its a shame really, you judge to soon. As for tones if you can't get a tone on, phone exchange, think cause people do go in there. It's like if you not willing to work hard, well you can't expect good money. It's lazy lazy, i don't care what anyone said i would be more then happy to show you how the big boys roll, from pole to pcp new dropwire you name it's. Anyone who used the rope and pull thing go to school.take its up by hand. Get on with its,its its really not that hard

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was 28-05-2014 at 23:49 ----------

In the summer you should be taking home 900 a week and i do 6.30am in the morning to 9pm every night i do the jobs quick, i just asked the eu where the the nte going, I'm up the pole at 7am first job i let the eu know the night i asked if possible i could be at there for 10 to 8 but I'm already up the pole before hand eu don't need to know that part my dial tone is at that eu house 100 % by 8am I'm just willing to work to earn a good living. It's call smart thinking. Try its you might get some where. :-)

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

And the worst day I've had is today,at only did 3

MrIca 29-05-2014 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacker (Post 35702308)
Really MJQ THE WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR boy i got to say no I'm not a manager I'm an engineer who work for them,
Sure there are days that are hard we know that but it's easy to do four a day everyday, if you can't do that, 2 thing move your ass it's your money, i mean really, starting out its going to take a while to know the network 80 % of you that work for MJQ don't have a hawk ! Do you even know how much time it's save you like half of your day, learn the job right if you can, more or less if there nothing up the pole then the pit 99% of the time it's hits the pcp, it's lazy you moan cause its not a 5 min job every job should take 2 hours. Like the first thing you should do is check your e side, cause if it's not at the pcp then boom you know nup e side, give you a chance at the eu your now look for a stop or spares, it's damm lazy, moan moan it's messed the other engineer who work for MJQ up, who can do the job. And just get on with its, stop moaning. the people who have quit or been sack, lol the joke on you, and I've work all over and i do 5 or 6. If your not ex .bt , well let say you got a lot to learn yes it's takes time, every area is different, ex .bt know that, first timer don't. Learn the trade and your earn good money. Fill your paper work in correct, you shouldt get tax on your wages. It's just funny cause its a shame really, you judge to soon. As for tones if you can't get a tone on, phone exchange, think cause people do go in there. It's like if you not willing to work hard, well you can't expect good money. It's lazy lazy, i don't care what anyone said i would be more then happy to show you how the big boys roll, from pole to pcp new dropwire you name it's. Anyone who used the rope and pull thing go to school.take its up by hand. Get on with its,its its really not that hard

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was 28-05-2014 at 23:49 ----------

In the summer you should be taking home 900 a week and i do 6.30am in the morning to 9pm every night i do the jobs quick, i just asked the eu where the the nte going, I'm up the pole at 7am first job i let the eu know the night i asked if possible i could be at there for 10 to 8 but I'm already up the pole before hand eu don't need to know that part my dial tone is at that eu house 100 % by 8am I'm just willing to work to earn a good living. It's call smart thinking. Try its you might get some where. :-)

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

And the worst day I've had is today,at only did 3

I can see you're a hard worker and that's great but it's just not practical for most people to work the hours you do. With the amount of people BT are taking on this year they will have to lose some contractors as the people they are taking on are mostly doing installs (they are on a new lower wage than the repair guys). I still would recommend people try and get into BT directly. It's a much more secure job.

jacker 30-05-2014 00:44

The funny thing is half of us are better then .bt if your willing to try the guys will help you not sending job back cause you won't climb the pole it's silly, half can't even prove a pair right and wonder by there a fault after all the work done, you just got to learn, i was asked today if i wanted to join .bt , MJQ are the boys if your not willing to work don't expect help, it's dead simple, people won't help there been like what i got a pair back first time, after 4 engineer already when to the job, it's when people don't think it's all start. It's very rare that you would not get a pair back pcp, there even, even if you got a dropwire up there it's don't mean that it's a clear pair could have loop fault on its, you would know with a hawk within 2 min, i get time and time again to go and have a look at a job cause someone Cle it's. And within half hour I've got a pair back, how many go though the pit 5 % i get that some people just think they know it's but it's damm silly cause you think an extra half hour you would get its there time,and learning the pairs, remember some area it's better to work from the pcp to the pole, have a look at the range of d side look what your d side doing see if it's going back to the pole you could find its at the bottom, there been some mad cable jointing I've put tones on from pcp and seen its at the pit on double whites , reds , all sorts, and you got to tried causes like the old boys say experience counts.
Regards
Jacked

MrIca 30-05-2014 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacker (Post 35702631)
The funny thing is half of us are better then .bt if your willing to try the guys will help you not sending job back cause you won't climb the pole it's silly, half can't even prove a pair right and wonder by there a fault after all the work done, you just got to learn, i was asked today if i wanted to join .bt , MJQ are the boys if your not willing to work don't expect help, it's dead simple, people won't help there been like what i got a pair back first time, after 4 engineer already when to the job, it's when people don't think it's all start. It's very rare that you would not get a pair back pcp, there even, even if you got a dropwire up there it's don't mean that it's a clear pair could have loop fault on its, you would know with a hawk within 2 min, i get time and time again to go and have a look at a job cause someone Cle it's. And within half hour I've got a pair back, how many go though the pit 5 % i get that some people just think they know it's but it's damm silly cause you think an extra half hour you would get its there time,and learning the pairs, remember some area it's better to work from the pcp to the pole, have a look at the range of d side look what your d side doing see if it's going back to the pole you could find its at the bottom, there been some mad cable jointing I've put tones on from pcp and seen its at the pit on double whites , reds , all sorts, and you got to tried causes like the old boys say experience counts.
Regards
Jacked

I can't understand most of this , put some paragraphs in and proper sentences. It would help a great deal.

I think you're seriously saying you'd rather work for a Mickey Mouse company like Quinn's over BT. I'm sorry but I can't see the logic in that. You will find it easier to do your job than BT Engineers as the BT engineers get the actual difficult jobs that require underground work, and proving lines for you guys to work on. I'd much rather do repairs for OR than do installs all day....boooooooring.

calcot 01-06-2014 11:55

Each 2 their own I think your better off with Bt, and once they have recruited all the engineers I dont think there will be a need for Quinns or Kellys

MrIca 01-06-2014 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35703099)
Each 2 their own I think your better off with Bt, and once they have recruited all the engineers I dont think there will be a need for Quinns or Kellys

That's the hope, but a lot of these Quinn's and Kelly's guys won't listen. They need to be applying now on the BT site and I bet they're not.

insulatorpotty 02-06-2014 08:10

Cannot take this guy seriously. Taking wires up by hand!. Safety breach! Entering joint box ( it's not a pit) at foot of pole. Breach of contract. It's you that makes us look like a bunch of jokers.

MrIca 02-06-2014 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35703344)
Cannot take this guy seriously. Taking wires up by hand!. Safety breach! Entering joint box ( it's not a pit) at foot of pole. Breach of contract. It's you that makes us look like a bunch of jokers.

I know, opening a jointbox is the most serious. There's a lot if training involved in OR before you can do that. Proper staff know they'll get in big trouble if they open them when they aren't accredited so they wouldn't dare.

insulatorpotty 03-06-2014 10:06

Yep. I would say the same, apply to openreach, get out while you can. Apparently Quinn's are looking at the virgin media contract, not sure if it's true but if they get it the rates will drop. They are telling us they are the number one contractor for openreach, they struggle to get / keep the numbers required for that, where are they going to get staff for the gmail contract. From the mc nic boys laid Off or do they already know what impact the latest Openreach recruitment will have On the volumes offered to them.

judgey 03-06-2014 19:01

I thought Fujitsu had the Virgin contract.

calcot 03-06-2014 19:26

I didn't open joint boxes with Quinns I was not shown or trained to,I did with Kellys only after a BT jointer showed me I even came across cabinets I had never seen before,even though im ex BT.So much for training?

MrIca 03-06-2014 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35703821)
I didn't open joint boxes with Quinns I was not shown or trained to,I did with Kellys only after a BT jointer showed me I even came across cabinets I had never seen before,even though im ex BT.So much for training?

You've lost me again here completely. Are you saying you opened joint boxes when you worked for Kelly's? If so, you shouldn't have done so.

insulatorpotty 04-06-2014 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgey (Post 35703815)
I thought Fujitsu had the Virgin contract.

Yeah just looked on another forum. Fujitsu in the north, mc nic in the south.

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Kelly's have lost the fvr contract with openreach. Union have got involved and held openreach to an old agreement re the use of contract Labour.

MrIca 04-06-2014 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35703914)
Yeah just looked on another forum. Fujitsu in the north, mc nic in the south.

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Kelly's have lost the fvr contract with openreach. Union have got involved and held openreach to an old agreement re the use of contract Labour.

As in Fault Volume Reduction? That's always been done in house anyway. Contractors don't work on faults.

insulatorpotty 05-06-2014 09:33

No, I know guys that have just been trained up on Kelly's for it. The ltb states they are looking to remove the 150 Kelly's engineers from the asap. Check out the openreach forum.

MrIca 05-06-2014 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35704303)
No, I know guys that have just been trained up on Kelly's for it. The ltb states they are looking to remove the 150 Kelly's engineers from the asap. Check out the openreach forum.

What Openreach forum? I don't know what ltb is.

insulatorpotty 06-06-2014 06:48

Ltb is letter to branches. Basically News or a directive from union head office. If your in the union you can view them on their website. Or if your in a well run branch they should forward them onto you.
The website is openreach engineer forum.net

MrIca 06-06-2014 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by insulatorpotty (Post 35704586)
Ltb is letter to branches. Basically News or a directive from union head office. If your in the union you can view them on their website. Or if your in a well run branch they should forward them onto you.
The website is openreach engineer forum.net

Ok thanks I'll have a look on the website.

calcot 07-06-2014 09:35

if your kelly or quinn try bt direct go online and apply

MrIca 07-06-2014 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35704861)
if your kelly or quinn try bt direct go online and apply

Do you mean go online and apply for a job with BT? If so, yes it can't hurt to apply. I think the experience of a lot of these guys would help them get in to the company proper.

judgey 08-06-2014 02:03

ive just had an online assessment from BT.

the 2nd part was a mechanical assessent , ive never seen anything like it , it has nothing to do with telecoms or cable etc. i tried my best but im gobsmacked at it.

calcot 08-06-2014 19:06

mjquinns conning bstds

MrIca 08-06-2014 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35705171)
mjquinns conning bstds

What is this in response to?

Synthetic 08-06-2014 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgey (Post 35704980)

the 2nd part was a mechanical assessent , ive never seen anything like it , it has nothing to do with telecoms or cable etc. i tried my best but im gobsmacked at it.

Exactly my thoughts when I also did it yesterday, I feel like I failed it miserably

calcot 08-06-2014 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35705224)
What is this in response to?

thats what mjquinns are thats all

judgey 09-06-2014 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35705237)
thats what mjquinns are thats all

But why lol, can you elaborate a bit ?

peon 09-06-2014 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35705228)
Exactly my thoughts when I also did it yesterday, I feel like I failed it miserably

Same here, did some examples and the practice beforehand (which was far easier)

Anyone have any idea what the full application process is ?
As i have heard some people go straight to interview others have a phone interview.
Also do you have to attend an assessment center?

So far i have, applied with cv and cl and taken 2 online tests.

seanups1 09-06-2014 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 35705228)

Know that feeling lol, just awaiting to hear back on results of what happens next, does anyone know ?

Synthetic 09-06-2014 20:51

Yep! I imagine they'd have some kind of assessment centre for something like this, but I have no idea.

judgey 09-06-2014 21:37

im sure we will all get a resounding NO after that test lol

calcot 09-06-2014 21:43

normaly a telephone interview then if you are successful invite to a proper interview then they email you if your wanted or not

seanups1 09-06-2014 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35705450)
normaly a telephone interview then if you are successful invite to a proper interview then they email you if your wanted or not

peon 10-06-2014 11:34

Well I'm currently awaiting a response to my failure, but it can take up to 2 weeks : X.

here's to hoping I guessed some of the ones i didn't 100% know :D

MikeyBhoy 11-06-2014 16:38

Hi

I sent CV and done the online tests for south of Scotland area. Still not heard back. I thought it was just me that struggled with the mechanical online test. Wasn't expecting that. I was confident about getting a position before that.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Did anyone have a interview before the online tests? I sent a CV then went straight to test. It said on application process that the phone interview would be before the online test.

peon 11-06-2014 16:57

In my email it stated "thank you for confirming you are still interested in the role.
We now require you to complete 2 online assessments"

Even though other then sending my CV i had no other contact lol :D

Kel 15-06-2014 19:06

Hi I've also done my online assessment and was shocked at how hard and how it had nothing to do with the job. Also think I failed miserably, I've not heard anything back and was wondering if anyone had even with just there results? What is the next part of the process??

MikeyBhoy 15-06-2014 20:03

Seen on another forum that a couple of guys got given an interview date on Saturday. Lets hope there is more to come

Kel 15-06-2014 20:12

Not looking too promising then!! Thought I would of heard back by now,

seanups1 15-06-2014 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel (Post 35707107)
Not looking too promising then!! Thought I would of heard back by now,

Don't be surprised Kel, if they have had alot of applications might be taking a while to get through them all :-)

jb66 15-06-2014 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgey (Post 35704980)

I tried it for fun, gobsmacked is the word!

Kel 19-06-2014 12:37

Has anyone heard anything back??

insulatorpotty 21-06-2014 06:32

Just did the online assessment. Still not sure I want to go back but anything has got to be better than working for Quinn's.

judgey 21-06-2014 11:13

i have heard nothing as of yet

insulatorpotty 22-06-2014 07:10

Does anyone know who conducts the interviews. I'd it a third party or Openreach managers.

jb66 25-06-2014 16:50

I got a date for an interview, but dont think I should waste their time. Virgin pays much more than this

insulatorpotty 26-06-2014 08:03

How much?. Are they recruiting at the moment?

tyketkd 26-06-2014 10:53

Also completed the dreaded mechanical reasoning test on the 6th June! Heard nothing yet a guy I know got an interview for the 10th July. He ran out of time and failed to answer some of the MR test, perhaps that is what they are looking for! Also the EIN he gave is the manager in the town conducting the interview, probably cuts more sway than the lowly frames engineer position I had for 3 years! Anyway Openreach your 14 working days are up slackers so put me out of my wait!!

MikeyBhoy 26-06-2014 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyketkd (Post 35709959)
Also completed the dreaded mechanical reasoning test on the 6th June! Heard nothing yet a guy I know got an interview for the 10th July. He ran out of time and failed to answer some of the MR test, perhaps that is what they are looking for! Also the EIN he gave is the manager in the town conducting the interview, probably cuts more sway than the lowly frames engineer position I had for 3 years! Anyway Openreach your 14 working days are up slackers so put me out of my wait!!

Sounds like a good shout actually now that I think of it. Instead of rushing through difficult jobs maybe they key was to take your time and think about every situation and not to rush through just to get finished. It did say take your time on the test. Maybe i'm thinking too much into it. What area did you apply for out of interest?

tyketkd 26-06-2014 11:41

@MikeyBhoy I applied North East....

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Biggest laugh on the MR test was where it stated: Recommended time to take this test = 15 Minutes, then states: You have 10 minutes to complete this test!! Either they made a typo or stole 5 minutes from me haha

calcot 26-06-2014 20:26

good luck to all of you if you applied I think MJQuinns and Kellys are finished

copperpot 03-12-2014 22:25

just left a good paid job to join mj quinns on the promise of 180 day rate,worked 4 days in last 2 weeks,bit worried what am gonna pick up this Friday.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

any thoughts??

Ukjay 03-12-2014 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperpot (Post 35744925)
just left a good paid job to join mj quinns on the promise of 180 day rate,worked 4 days in last 2 weeks,bit worried what am gonna pick up this Friday.

any thoughts??

You shouldn't have left your previous job to join Mjquinn, they are for me my worst nightmare.

jb66 04-12-2014 06:36

180x4

judgey 04-12-2014 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35744945)
180x4

which aint bad 720.

calcot 04-12-2014 20:28

what was your other job?I think quinns are awful

MrIca 16-12-2014 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperpot (Post 35744925)

any thoughts??

Any thought? Yes. Have you read this thread? Why would you go and work for Quinns now? We've talked about how BT are taking on thousands of staff. I've spoken to Quinns people in some areas who are now struggling to get enough jobs due to this. You can also see from this thread how much a lot of people hate working there.

calcot 17-12-2014 20:13

try to get on BT

copperpot 18-12-2014 13:42

Heard a few horror stories like,am here now,my pay been a lot better,so see what happens.Left my last job on good terms so nothing to lose

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35745093)
what was your other job?I think quinns are awful

Cabler doing bft and sub duct,pay am on now is a lot better

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcot (Post 35747431)
try to get on BT

How?

MrIca 19-12-2014 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperpot (Post 35747529)
Heard a few horror stories like,am here now,my pay been a lot better,so see what happens.Left my last job on good terms so nothing to lose

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

Cabler doing bft and sub duct,pay am on now is a lot better

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

How?

Just look on the BT website they are still recruiting.

Martyboy 17-10-2015 19:42

Does anyone know what the induction and trades test consists of for MJ Quinn's, thanks.

Pole_Dancer 18-10-2015 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyboy (Post 35803819)
Does anyone know what the induction and trades test consists of for MJ Quinn's, thanks.

They induct you into losing money and working for nothing. Then they take you court for money they say you owe them

Stay away

MrIca 18-10-2015 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyboy (Post 35803819)

Openreach are recruiting again. I wouldn't even dream of going for MJ Quinn.

Multimeters 13-07-2022 11:59

Quote:

Paul 13-07-2022 15:21

Was there a point to quoting an 8.5 year old post ?

joglynne 13-07-2022 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36128169)
Was there a point to quoting an 8.5 year old post ?

In view of all the interest shown in the forums 19th Birthday and as an addendum to the new member's post it is interesting that in the whole thread, with 290+ posts, only 3 posters are still active on the forum besides the writers of these last 3 posts. It appears that most of the posts seem to be have made by new members who must have been atracted to the forum by the mention of the firm they all disliked so much.