Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM News Another Price Increase (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707827)

Inactive Digital 04-01-2022 17:15

Re: VM News Another Price Increase

Happy new year, from Virgin Media:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/virgi...ns-uk-25850072

Just seen someone on twitter whose notification email states their bill is increasing by £8.50 per month. Crazy amount, and a reflection of the cost of living crisis facing the country in 2022.

ScottishSteve 04-01-2022 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36108016)

Just seen someone on twitter whose notification email states their bill is increasing by £8.50 per month. Crazy amount, and a reflection of the cost of living crisis facing the country in 2022.

Yep just received the same, although I was told my current price was fixed until the end of the contract which is next January.

Mis-sold so will not be hanging about if they do not honour it.

pip08456 04-01-2022 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36108019)
Yep just received the same, although I was told my current price was fixed until the end of the contract which is next January.

Mis-sold so will not be hanging about if they do not honour it.

It says in the article.

Quote:

Customers on a fixed-price promotion, ie those who are still within the minimum term of their contract, will see their prices rise after their contract ends.

ScottishSteve 04-01-2022 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36108026)
It says in the article.

It says in my email that it is going up.

I have previously had emails of other increases saying it wont happen till the end of the contract.

The one specifically says 1st March and I can cancel up to 10th Feb

Pierre 04-01-2022 19:18

It’s not until March.

ScottishSteve 04-01-2022 19:33

I have just been informed that Virgin Media DO NOT and have not EVER offered fixed prices for the duration of the contract which is a known downright lie.

Notice in so will see if they come back. If not I will switch.

Inactive Digital 05-01-2022 14:45

This page for Virgin Mobile customers seems a little disingenuous - giving an example using RPI at 2.5% when the most recent rate (November) was almost 3x higher at 7.1%

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/a...price-increase

denphone 05-01-2022 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36108016)

Yep same here..

Inactive Digital 05-01-2022 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36108103)
Yep same here..

From what I've seen, the rises seem to be £4.50, £5.75 or £8.50. Presumably for 1, 2 or 3 services respectively.

Carth 05-01-2022 16:32

Just had my email, £4.50 rise (going up to £63.50) for an almost basic package . . . time to jump ship methinks.

. . . maybe BT broadband only, freeview recorder, netflix, stuff the landline too.

nashville 05-01-2022 16:38

I expect mine will be the same as I am on the basic package too.

1andrew1 05-01-2022 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36108110)
Just had my email, £4.50 rise (going up to £63.50) for an almost basic package . . . time to jump ship methinks.

. . . maybe BT broadband only, freeview recorder, netflix, stuff the landline too.

Vodafone have some good broadband offers on if you don't need fast speeds eg 38Mps £19pm. They're also going to be offering the Apple TV box in the future.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband

Carth 05-01-2022 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36108111)
I expect mine will be the same as I am on the basic package too.

new customers can get the pack I'm on for . . . £29.99 a month, for 18 months.

BT do a basic pack (Entertainment + Fibre 2) with no phone line - available to my address - £37.99 a month for 3 months then £45.99 a month, 24 month contract.

. . . and of course . . the monthly price will increase each year from March 2022. That increase is based on the Consumer Price Index Rate of inflation which is published in January each year plus 3.9%.

denphone 05-01-2022 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36108105)
From what I've seen, the rises seem to be £4.50, £5.75 or £8.50. Presumably for 1, 2 or 3 services respectively.

Our price is fixed until the end of the 18 months contract and then its time to barter for a new deal.

ScottishSteve 05-01-2022 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36108119)
Our price is fixed until the end of the 18 months contract and then its time to barter for a new deal.

So was mine until yesterday so my notice is in

My contract wasn’t due to end till Jan 2023.

Carth 05-01-2022 17:03

Quote:

I might bite the bullet and ring them, been out of contract for about 3 years. All I want is the BB, wife and daughter 'need' the TV stuff :rolleyes:

I reckon offering the package I'm on at £40 a month for 18 months may swing it . . . or not :shrug:

jobbie8 05-01-2022 18:29

I got my email today, £8.50 from 22 May, (after my fixed price ends).

I currently pay £66.75, but from May the discount ends, then the price will be £111.30... that's for a TV360 box, Cinema and Full house without kids channels.

I was told my price would be fixed for my 18 month contract which runs out in October 2022 at the time, but my contract says my discount ends in May 2022, which I don't remember that being there when I've checked my contract before. I must have been wrong?

My question is, Could I cancel now? There's nothing on the email to say I can? Or am I stuck in contract?

Our prices are going up from 1st March 2022.
However, your prices won’t change until your offer ends

Dear ...
We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. It means you can keep doing the things you need to do – and love to do – on all your devices. Last year, we worked hard to give you a better experience with us, improving our network capabilities and fixing faults, but we’re not stopping there.

Our price increase won’t affect you until your fixed-price offer ends
From then, you’ll start paying the full price for your package, and this will be going up by £8.50 a month. If you’d like to check when your fixed-price offer ends, please refer to your bill.

Doohdah 05-01-2022 18:32

Got my e-mail saying £8.50 increase but I'm pretty sure when I took the contract out I was told I would be immune from price rises. I didn't have one last year when the upped the prices. Still got 5 months left on mine. I have asked them on Twitter and I'm in a queue now for online chat but I'm about to give up on that.

1andrew1 05-01-2022 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36108142)
My question is, Could I cancel now? There's nothing on the email to say I can? Or am I stuck in contract?

You can cancel now. But if you do, you will have to accept the penalties that you will incur by cancelling early.
VM are honouring their side by not increasing the price. Nothing has really changed for you.

Mr K 06-01-2022 09:48

Quote:

You might be in for a nasty surprise Den. Being in a contract doesn't mean they can't raise the price. It does of course means they've broken the contract and you are free to leave but doubtless their letter won't be worded that way!

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36105216)
Betting on an inflation busting price rise first week of Jan 2022. You can always rely on VM for a Happy New Year !

Expecting it to be significant given inflation, and they always like to well exceed that !

Call me Mystic Meg ;)

Corey N Georgie 06-01-2022 14:47

Ive not had any emails about price increases.

jfman 06-01-2022 18:51

£5.50 for me, between that and my offer ending it would double.

Still, I join another provider on a Black Friday deal which starts tomorrow.

denphone 07-01-2022 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36108230)
You might be in for a nasty surprise Den. Being in a contract doesn't mean they can't raise the price. It does of course means they've broken the contract and you are free to leave but doubtless their letter won't be worded that way!

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Call me Mystic Meg ;)

This is what it stated in the email they sent me and that can only mean when the fixed price offer ends in October there will be a price rise.

Quote:

From then, you’ll start paying the full price for your package, and this will be going up by £8.50 a month. If you’d like to check when your fixed-price offer ends, please refer to your bill.

KillerCroc1 07-01-2022 11:48

got email about the £5.75 increase called vm got told i can only have a £6 discount or cancel everything or take the 1gig service instead at £62 a month and £35 for the hub4

Mr K 07-01-2022 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36108366)
This is what it stated in the email they sent me and that can only mean when the fixed price offer ends in October there will be a price rise.

Sounds good Den. Make sure you get on the blower as soon as it expires. £8.50 a month is over £100 more a year !
Even Dick Turpin wore a mask .....

Itshim 07-01-2022 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36108437)
Sounds good Den. Make sure you get on the blower as soon as it expires. £8.50 a month is over £100 more a year !
Even Dick Turpin wore a mask .....

Except you don't have to deliver , keep saying if you don't like it ,walk . It's called free choice , unlike other charges, its up to you. You won't die if you cancel ;)

1701-e 07-01-2022 19:39

Rang yesterday but got nowhere with retentions. UK based. This evening tried again.. offshore call centre.... and ended up with a price reduction for the next 18 months.

daveeb 07-01-2022 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36108461)
Rang yesterday but got nowhere with retentions. UK based. This evening tried again.. offshore call centre.... and ended up with a price reduction for the next 18 months.

Was it a decent reduction? I'm a bit wary of the offshore people as I've had an instance (several years ago) where the promises didn't match the reality and I had to jump through various hoops to get them to honour the deal. UK retentions seem to have moved to a more hardball stance in the last few years and don't offer much at all in return for an extended contract :rolleyes:. I've considered giving them the heave ho to get a proper offer but knowing my luck I probably wouldn't get the call and I'd get a load of grief off the rest of the family.

1701-e 07-01-2022 20:18

I had got down to £64 last summer when fox disappeared And I rang up. The email indicated a £5.50 increase from March. But now it's going down to £61.75. I was paying £72 this time last year. Maxit TV with m350 BB. It's already on as the app shows a credit to next Bill

Inactive Digital 07-01-2022 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36108445)
Except you don't have to deliver , keep saying if you don't like it ,walk . It's called free choice , unlike other charges, its up to you. You won't die if you cancel ;)

I am seriously considering leaving this time. I'll happily take a hit on speed in order to reduce my monthly cost, given pending increases to energy bills, council tax, national insurance etc. As you say, VM is one of the few bills within our power to control and I'm increasingly viewing 100mbps as a luxury I don't need or use.

OLD BOY 07-01-2022 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36108473)
I am seriously considering leaving this time. I'll happily take a hit on speed in order to reduce my monthly cost, given pending increases to energy bills, council tax, national insurance etc. As you say, VM is one of the few bills within our power to control and I'm increasingly viewing 100mbps as a luxury I don't need or use.

Price increases happen because costs increase. You can move to a different company, but they increase their prices as well.a

Inactive Digital 07-01-2022 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36108474)
Price increases happen because costs increase. You can move to a different company, but they increase their prices as well.a

Correct, but Now Broadband is currently offering their fibre and Anytime calls service for £20 per month. They would have to increase their prices massively to get anywhere close to whatever I'd be paying VM by the time I've had my price notification.

djmagnifique 11-01-2022 14:33

Started a new contract last month and have now received the email saying the price is going up by £5.75 from March. No mention of the price being fixed until the end of the contract.

TMLeafs 12-01-2022 10:36

all family have had email for £8.50 increases at the end of current contracts

Mine will be a £37.50 per month increase in August
My parents will be a £48 per month increase in April
My brother £42.5 per month increase in September

I will phone up and try to get as close as to what we pay now when the time comes, but Sky is looking a better deal at these prices (around £150 for old VIP)

Hugh 12-01-2022 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafs (Post 36109004)
all family have had email for £8.50 increases at the end of current contracts

Mine will be a £37.50 per month increase in August
My parents will be a £48 per month increase in April
My brother £42.5 per month increase in September

I will phone up and try to get as close as to what we pay now when the time comes, but Sky is looking a better deal at these prices (around £150 for old VIP)

Are other deals/discounts ending on those dates?

TMLeafs 12-01-2022 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36109021)
Are other deals/discounts ending on those dates?

I phone every contract end get a top package for £99-110 if I don't I try again until I do, never really have a problem. But reading recently it's getting a bit harder, will give 30 days notice if it comes to it and will hope they phone me for a better deal. None of my family or friends have ever paid more than £110 per month for the old VIP package

martkt10 13-01-2022 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafs (Post 36109069)
I phone every contract end get a top package for £99-110 if I don't I try again until I do, never really have a problem. But reading recently it's getting a bit harder, will give 30 days notice if it comes to it and will hope they phone me for a better deal. None of my family or friends have ever paid more than £110 per month for the old VIP package

Our contract ended 10 days ago, spoke to retentions and was told if i don't like it, leave

problem is they can type in my postcode and see there is no other options

So its put up with them or leave

To think with have been with them since they we telewest , i'd have sky like a shot, but our bt lines are crap

jfman 13-01-2022 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by martkt10 (Post 36109337)
Our contract ended 10 days ago, spoke to retentions and was told if i don't like it, leave

To think with have been with them since they we telewest , i'd have sky like a shot, but our bt lines are crap

Serve notice. Allow them to contact you for marketing purposes. Wait by the phone for 2 days to a week. Keep an eye on your email inbox too.

TMLeafs 13-01-2022 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by martkt10 (Post 36109337)

its going to improve, BT already have 300meg to my street and there's streets only a mile away that can get 500 & 900 with BT, I would say within the next 2 years my whole town will be 900meg enabled

My parents have been with them since 1995
I have since I moved out 6 years ago and my brother for 3 years. I switched my MiL from BT to virgin about 6 years ago

nialli 14-01-2022 14:00

Here’s an odd one. I was on hold waiting for Retensions yesterday and after a few minutes I heard a recording offering me £8 off my bill for six months. No explanation, just ‘press 1 to accept’. I accepted and got a message saying it will be applied to my next six bills.
Anyone else been offered this? Still haven’t received a price increase notification either

Carth 14-01-2022 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36109508)
Here’s an odd one. I was on hold waiting for Retensions yesterday and after a few minutes I heard a recording offering me £8 off my bill for six months. No explanation, just ‘press 1 to accept’. I accepted and got a message saying it will be applied to my next six bills.
Anyone else been offered this? Still haven’t received a price increase notification either

Did it put you onto another 18 month contract?

SnoopZ 14-01-2022 17:15

£8 off plus a £5+ increase isn't great!

1701-e 14-01-2022 17:23

Quote:

Yes. Well six pounds off but I ended up with a price reduction.

nialli 15-01-2022 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36109530)
Did it put you onto another 18 month contract?

No

Mr K 16-01-2022 17:23

No news of any price rise for me.

Itshim 16-01-2022 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36109828)
No news of any price rise for me.

Told or hope over experience ?

Mr K 16-01-2022 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36109862)
Told or hope over experience ?

Neither, just no communication of anything from VM.

MrB 17-01-2022 09:11

Quote:

They are trying to persuade anyone who is trying to cancel due to the price rise to stay - but also to accept this discount rather than trying to get an even bigger discount by speaking to someone/cancelling.

Aren't most people who received a price rise (everyone?) getting that message on the cancellation line? I received the same message apart from it is for a £5.75 discount - effectively putting off the price rise for 6 months. No change to contract term, no change to the package. My promo price doesn't end until September anyway, so pressed 1 to accept to see if it takes the discount off the promo price.

Unless you are on a price that can't be beaten, no matter how far you are into the contract, it would be worth cancelling/attempting to renegotiate as this has given you an opportunity. Go beyond the 15th February (or whatever date is mentioned in your notification) and the worse case is you just stay on your promo price and have to negotiate then.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36108874)
Started a new contract last month and have now received the email saying the price is going up by £5.75 from March. No mention of the price being fixed until the end of the contract.

Our email says,

"We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology.

From then, you’ll start paying the full price for your package, and this will be going up by £5.75 a month. If you’d like to check when your fixed-price offer ends, please refer to your bill."

Under a large red "Find out more" button our price rise email goes on to say "If you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 15/02/2022, without paying any cancellation fees. Visit virginmedia.com/pricechange1 to find out more."

Anyone who has received the email notification should double check what their email says (and their contract/bill to see when any fixed price/discount ends).

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:

Or you could barter now and then lock in a better price/package? There is a window to negotiate now/leave rather than waiting, though if you are happy with the current price/package then nothing to worry about until the end of your promo.

djmagnifique 17-01-2022 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 36109904)
Our email says,

"We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology.

From then, you’ll start paying the full price for your package, and this will be going up by £5.75 a month. If you’d like to check when your fixed-price offer ends, please refer to your bill."

Under a large red "Find out more" button our price rise email goes on to say "If you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 15/02/2022, without paying any cancellation fees. Visit virginmedia.com/pricechange1 to find out more."

Anyone who has received the email notification should double check what their email says (and their contract/bill to see when any fixed price/discount ends).

My email only says this.

'We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. To help us carry on this work, the price of your package will go up by £5.75 a month from 1st March.'

And then the same bit as yours that is under the big red 'Find Out More'

I don't even get the automated discount offer when I phone up either.

1andrew1 17-01-2022 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36109921)
My email only says this.

'We know a price rise is never welcome, but it’s essential we continue investing in our technology. To help us carry on this work, the price of your package will go up by £5.75 a month from 1st March.'

Maybe they read the forums and have disabled that auto discount to prevent misuse?

MrB 17-01-2022 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36109921)
My email only says this.

Interesting, so it seems there may be a change in contracts depending on when you join (or how they have applied a promotion to accounts - whether as a fixed price contract/price for a fixed term, like mine, or it seems as a discount of X off the tariff - so the amount of discount stays the same but the price it is based on increases as does the price you pay).

If you still have the same wording about being able to leave penalty free, then that is an option to renegotiate.

TMLeafs 20-01-2022 15:29

My MiLs contract run out last week

Only Mix TV, 100Meg, Talk More anytime was going up to £62.94 from £52 (discount ending) had no email about price increases.
Virgin offered £51 which I took but when receiving the contract it was £47 for 6 months then £51 for a year which is great, but the shock is they want £77 at the end of the contract.

So what was a £62 pack is now £77. I feel £50 is fair value for what they get, she was with BT for just internet and phone and paid way more. Plus they used to go through Freeview recorder boxes like crazy.

I feel a decent Freeview/freesat recorder and back to BT might have to happen in 18 months BT will do 50meg and 700mins on a landline for £35 and our town has the 1 gigabit rollout happening currently so should be able to get 150/300 soon

Media Boy UK 20-01-2022 16:50

We think Virgin are bad:

Quote:

BT has said most customers will see bills rise by more than 9% from the end of March as households are squeezed by cost of living pressures.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60057282

Rexz 20-01-2022 17:37

We are on broadband only. I was able to get them to reduce it from £50 to £46.50 last year only to have this £3.50 increase sent to us today. So for us, an increase of 8%. We already had to downgrade from 350mbit to 200mbit so it looks like we will be downgrading again...

devilincarnate 21-01-2022 05:13

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ts-which-unde/

Ken W 21-01-2022 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexz (Post 36110444)
We are on broadband only. I was able to get them to reduce it from £50 to £46.50 last year only to have this £3.50 increase sent to us today. So for us, an increase of 8%. We already had to downgrade from 350mbit to 200mbit so it looks like we will be downgrading again...

At the moment I pay £42 per month and now it is increased by £4.00 per month.

djmagnifique 21-01-2022 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 36109934)
Interesting, so it seems there may be a change in contracts depending on when you join (or how they have applied a promotion to accounts - whether as a fixed price contract/price for a fixed term, like mine, or it seems as a discount of X off the tariff - so the amount of discount stays the same but the price it is based on increases as does the price you pay).

If you still have the same wording about being able to leave penalty free, then that is an option to renegotiate.

Spoke to retentions who have said I won't get the price increase and that that is showing on my account. They also said I because I had recently re-contracted was why I got the email I did (previous contract was due to end in April). I'll see what happens in March.

RichardCoulter 21-01-2022 19:58

By which time you will be too late to cancel and there will be 'no record of your call'.

I'd get them to drop you an email to confirm what they said, though, in the past, i've simply been told that what was said in the email was a mistake and that the 'price increase still stands'.

This might work in their country, but not in ours and I took it further to get it taken off.

RobboEdin 21-01-2022 20:04

Please remove that last statement. That is totally uncalled for.

Hugh 21-01-2022 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36110600)
By which time you will be too late to cancel and there will be 'no record of your call'.

I'd get them to drop you an email to confirm what they said, though, in the past, i've simply been told that what was said in the email was a mistake and that the 'price increase still stands'.

This might work in their country, but not in ours and I took it further to get it taken off.

Richard, if it was an offshore call-centre, they work to rules and scripts set up by VM, and there is regular Quality Control checks on these things.

Your last line reflects badly upon you, but not a surprise, given your previous posts on this type of situation.

djmagnifique 21-01-2022 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36110600)

I spoke to someone in the UK.

Hugh 21-01-2022 21:22

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36110615)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...4&d=1642800140

1701-e 21-01-2022 21:36

I ended up with a price reduction from an off shore agent the day after a GB based agent couldn't or wouldn't do anything. It didn't work in this country but the overseas agent came up with the goods

jfman 21-01-2022 21:42

Richard in xenophobic outburst shocker.

jobbie8 21-01-2022 23:11

My discount is up in May. Paying £66 for Max it, Sky Cinema, 200BB and weekends landline.
Called up today, got 6 months at £61 then for the next 12 months £72, with no price increases until 18-month contract is up. I checked my email and the contract says the same. I'm pleased with the new contract, at least I won't be paying £111+ in June.

Rexz 21-01-2022 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36110624)
Richard in xenophobic outburst shocker.

I hardly find his reply xenophobic... Maybe a bit prejudice.... Unless of course he has a fear of foreigners? Please don't just jump on a bandwagon and misuse a word for personal gain...

jfman 21-01-2022 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexz (Post 36110630)
I hardly find his reply xenophobic... Maybe a bit prejudice.... Unless of course he has a fear of foreigners? Please don't just jump on a bandwagon and misuse a word for personal gain...

I'm not sure what personal gain I have from stating something that is so self-evident you capture it in your own response.

Hugh 22-01-2022 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexz (Post 36110630)

Quote:

xenophobia

A fear of or antipathy towards foreigners and strangers
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view...9599868-e-2072

nialli 23-01-2022 15:39

Interesting post on VM's Community Forum about the price rise:
Quote:

Any discount that you've been offered for the 12/18 months will still be honoured, so if you accepted a fixed price then you'll receive that until the end of the discount period. If you accepted a £ or % amount off, this will also continue to be honoured but you will see your price increase from March 1st. We will advise you in your communication how the price change will affect your deal.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...920131#M173824

Inactive Digital 24-01-2022 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36110731)
Interesting post on VM's Community Forum about the price rise:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...920131#M173824

That's how I understood it to be, i.e. If you receive a £10 discount, that stays the same but the overall cost of the package still increases. I've never known them offer percentage discounts though.

I received my letter this morning, which is strange as they usually email me. My increase is just over 10%, so on a par with what looks to be average across the telecoms sector this year.

Aye Up 27-01-2022 17:31

So weird.....paying £36pm currently for 500Mb, had the letter to say it is going up in price, rang them to cancel and they gave it to me for £32 a month.

If I get a cheap O2 Sim Only, does that mean with Volt I can be upgraded to 1Gb?

I thinking if I can get 1GB for £38 all in it wouldn't be a bad deal.

livelysprite 28-01-2022 09:04

I phoned retentions yesterday and while I was on hold a recorded message offered me £3.25 off my bill for 6 months and to press 1 to accept. But I just waited to talk to someone as I needed to add talk more anytime.

Brunel 28-01-2022 10:19

'Phoned circa 08:15 this am.
Through to a very polite lady.... somewhere on the planet.

Then put through to UK.

Very helpful gentleman, I explained the usual situation, he offered me a reduction if I renew for 18 Mths.

Still waiting for it to show on the "MyVirgin Media" page, and a confirmation email etc.

Hugh 28-01-2022 10:27

You should also get a confirmation email - I have, every time.

Brunel 28-01-2022 10:38

@Hugh.

Yes he said I would... still waiting.

Looks like there is a bit of a problem, When I log into "My Virgin Media" it will occasionally show the new contract/price for a few seconds, then it will totally disappear.

Then the original contract/price will show.

I have managed to do a screen capture of the new price/contract.

Carth 28-01-2022 10:59

Just rang 150 . . went through the options . . refused the automated 6 month offer . . stayed on the line and it cut me off about 30 seconds later.

Now ringing 150 gives me "sorry there is a fault, please try later"

Brunel 28-01-2022 11:51

Just to round this one up.

Have now Rx'd all documents by email, all in order.

Well worth the effort of calling.

Carth 28-01-2022 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36111450)
Just rang 150 . . went through the options . . refused the automated 6 month offer . . stayed on the line and it cut me off about 30 seconds later.

Now ringing 150 gives me "sorry there is a fault, please try later"

Just rang again (12:10) . . . almost the same scenario but without the automated 6 month offer. Phone went dead after around 10 minutes of listening to the 'in a queue' music.

I'm thinking if I can go with the idea of getting my bill reduced by £3 every time I get cut off, they could be owing me by this time next week :D

. . . more to follow ;)

Carth 28-01-2022 14:45

Eventually got through . . 3rd time lucky . . spent almost an hour chatting with a pleasant young chap and ended up with a cheaper 18 month contract on my present package, and no increases until July 2023.

There were issues with the VM systems though, which explains the phone going 'dead' (including 3 times during the call) and also a few difficulties getting the new details into the system.

RichardCoulter 29-01-2022 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36110615)

Sure, but I was talking about my experience.

In my experience, places like India, the Philippines, Thailand etc are known to be rife with bribery, corruption etc. It's perfectly possible, even the norm, for even their police to accept bribes to make criminal offences go away.

I've just been reading an account about a group of lads who were on holiday. One of them sneaked off from the main party and was found having sex with an underage boy. His friends had no idea that he was into such things. Anyway, the boys mother called the police to make a complaint and the offender was put into a local police cell for three days and let out after money was paid to the police and the boys mother. He would have got into much more trouble over here, but money talks in these places where money is tight.

So, what I meant regarding the foreign call centre that Virgin use is that, in such countries, it's probably viewed as acceptable to go back on an agreement and simply try to bat away any complaint as "a mistake". Thankfully it doesn't work like that in the UK. They obviously draw upon their in experiences and culture. I once mentioned that my TV had broken and she thought that I was expecting Virgin to replace it, so I was advised that "I had to go to the market" to buy another one! I didn't bother explaining that I would never buy a television from a market :D

What we would regard as being ripped off would simply be seen as a successful business transaction by them.

Hugh 29-01-2022 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111522)

In my experience, places like India, the Philippines, Thailand etc are known to be rife with bribery, corruption etc. It's perfectly possible, even the norm, for even their police to accept bribes to make criminal offences go away.

I've just been reading an account about a group of lads who were on holiday. One of them sneaked off from the main party and was found having sex with an underage boy. His friends had no idea that he was into such things. Anyway, the boys mother called the police to make a complaint and the offender was put into a local police cell for three days and let out after money was paid to the police and the boys mother. He would have got into much more trouble over here, but money talks in these places where money is tight.

So, what I meant regarding the foreign call centre that Virgin use is that, in such countries, it's probably viewed as acceptable to go back on an agreement and simply try to bat away any complaint as "a mistake". Thankfully it doesn't work like that in the UK. They obviously draw upon their in experiences and culture. I once mentioned that my TV had broken and she thought that I was expecting Virgin to replace it, so I was advised that "I had to go to the market" to buy another one! I didn't bother explaining that I would never buy a television from a market :D

What we would regard as being ripped off would simply be seen as a successful business transaction by them.

As I said previously

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36110609)
Richard, if it was an offshore call-centre, they work to rules and scripts set up by VM, and there is regular Quality Control checks on these things.

Your last line reflects badly upon you, but not a surprise, given your previous posts on this type of situation.

1701-e 29-01-2022 10:08

Quote:

If you have missed the news recently you'll see plenty of corruption in government and police inaction in the UK.
As for underage sex.... Andrew ahem.

Anyway I got a far better deal with an overseas agent than the UK based one.

But don't let facts get in the way of an attitude.

RichardCoulter 29-01-2022 10:18

I doubt that even Virgin would have something in writing to prove what had been agreed and then subsequently try to renegade on it and brush it away as a mistake. This was proved when I took matters further with the CEO office.

Some of it might be down to their poor English or apparent lack of common sense though as opposed to deliberately trying to rip off customers.

I don't have any faith in any quality control checks that Virgin may have. The service that they provide is so abysmal that I suspect that a blind eye is turned because they are cheap.

Fortunately, Ofcom take a different view and have issued warnings to Virgin about various matters; the latest that I'm aware of is how they treat blind customers.

This is also why I advise everyone to get things confirmed in writing, if only zeith a quick email. It has been known fir staff to say that they have put things on the notes when, for whatever reason, they haven't.

Hugh 29-01-2022 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111531)
I doubt that even Virgin would have something in writing to prove what had been agreed and then subsequently try to renegade on it and brush it away as a mistake. This was proved when I took matters further with the CEO office.

Some of it might be down to their poor English or apparent lack of common sense though as opposed to deliberately trying to rip off customers.

I don't have any faith in any quality control checks that Virgin may have. The service that they provide is so abysmal that I suspect that a blind eye is turned because they are cheap.

Fortunately, Ofcom take a different view and have issued warnings to Virgin about various matters; the latest that I'm aware of is how they treat blind customers.

This is also why I advise everyone to get things confirmed in writing, if only zeith a quick email. It has been known fir staff to say that they have put things on the notes when, for whatever reason, they haven't.

Could you provide a link to that, please?

RichardCoulter 29-01-2022 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36111529)
If you have missed the news recently you'll see plenty of corruption in government and police inaction in the UK.
As for underage sex.... Andrew ahem.

Anyway I got a far better deal with an overseas agent than the UK based one.

But don't let facts get in the way of an attitude.

Yes, sadly you're right, such attitudes are seeping into British society.

There's a difference between going with a 17 year old and a 13 year old, even if both were illegal at the time at the place where the act took place.

If you feel that you get a good service from offshore call centres, that's great, but I and many, many others haven't and a quick Internet search will show you this.

Most of my interactions have been negative, so my 'attitude' is entirely justified. I have now been given a contact at the office of the CEO so that I no longer have to deal with them, however, this doesn’t stop outbound sales calls that I choose to have.

Just a couple of stunts that offshore outbound staff have tried to pull on me are:

- If I took Sky Cinema, as a special offer, VOD would be free, when it's usually changed for.

- That they were "upgrading me' from Full House, meaning that I would be losing the children's channels (and paying £9 a month more)! This was phrased as though I didn't have a choice. When I told her to leave my account alone, she said that, if I allowed her to go ahead, I would escape the forthcoming price rise.

So, in order to stop my bill from going up by £6 from March, I could start paying £9 straight away in return for less channels (which I had to clarify because she wasn't going to.mention this). I'm not sure if they are genuinely unintelligent, don't fully understand what they are coming out with or believe that people in the UK are unintelligent.

What I do know is that this sly behaviour will be being done to get their stats/commission up and that it's their vulnerable customers who will lose out.

Hugh 29-01-2022 10:46

Ever thought of going to another provider, if you are so unhappy with the service?

btw, googled "OFCOM Virgin Media warning" and can’t seem to find anything recent or relevant about OFCOM warning VM about their treatment of blind customers - can you help with this?

RichardCoulter 29-01-2022 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111538)
Ever thought of going to another provider, if you are so unhappy with the service?

The main reasons that people don't leave Virgin are technical and contractual reasons (and they know it) though competition is now hotting up which, hopefully, will improve things.

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111532)
Could you provide a link to that, please?

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33710780

Hugh 29-01-2022 11:11

I didn’t ask about "people", I asked you…

Your link doesn’t back up what you said - that’s just you cutting/pasting another thread you started on Digital Spy…

RichardCoulter 29-01-2022 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111546)
I didn’t ask about "people", I asked you…

Your link doesn’t back up what you said - that’s just you cutting/pasting another thread you started on Digital Spy…

This thread contains the information that you asked for. I decided to provide this in a new thread so as to not drag this one further off topic.

1701-e 29-01-2022 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111535)
There's a difference between going with a 17 year old and a 13 year old, even if both were illegal at the time at the place where the act took place.

No there isn't Both child abuse and indefensible. And "going with"? Don't try to defend the ( Alleged) HRH Abuser

On topic.
I and many others have had Equal levels of service from whatever country the call agents are in. Courtesy goes a long way

RichardCoulter 29-01-2022 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36111552)
No there isn't Both child abuse and indefensible. And "going with"? Don't try to defend the ( Alleged) HRH Abuser

On topic.
I and many others have had Equal levels of service from whatever country the call agents are in. Courtesy goes a long way

I disagree. I think it's ridiculous that someone can have sex with a 17 year old here and it's fine, but if they go to America it's classed as child abuse. I'm not particularly linking this with Prince Andrew, but I have more of a problem with the trafficking/prostitution angle than the woman's age.

I've had good and bad agents too, but on balance had more bad from abroard. I'm not sure of the relevance of the obvious fact that common courtesy should be used, though if it wasn't (for whatever reason), I would expect agents to remain professional at all times regardless and not treat the customer any less favourably, which may be unlawful.

Aye Up 30-01-2022 15:00

Quote:

Thats an awfully broad brush to be painting across entire groups of people, they do have to follow UK laws on consumer rights regardless of where they are based. I don't think its like that at all and I work with colleagues in those countries along with Egypt.

RichardCoulter 31-01-2022 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aye Up (Post 36111650)
Thats an awfully broad brush to be painting across entire groups of people, they do have to follow UK laws on consumer rights regardless of where they are based. I don't think its like that at all and I work with colleagues in those countries along with Egypt.

They may be supposed to adhere to UK laws, but at some companies they don't, in my experience. They just blindly read off a script without any thought or common sense. Appalling English skills play a part too.

They will often refer to vague policies/procedures that they have to follow yet, when pressed, are unable to expand further. Often their responses are just meaningless waffle that don't bear any resemblance to what has actually been asked.

When pressed further, they start unprofessionally ignoring customers either out of rudeness or because they simply don't know what to say.

They often have no comprehension of UK laws, try to manipulate people, blatantly tell lies or mislead people to achieve the outcome that they want. I've previously given examples of what staff working on behalf of Virgin have done to support my view.

Another example is Uber Eats staff (maybe this is a policy introduced by management, nobody knows because you can't get a sensible response out of them) are now saying that, after an undisclosed number of issues, they outright won't refund for missing products or orders! This is totally against the law and there s no transparency at all.

Even forwarding on a copy of the actual legislation to show them that what they are doing or not doing is against the law is met with their usual nonsense in return.

They tried it with me until their CEO received a solicitors letter. If you do a search under 'Uber Eats won't refund me', there are plenty of other cases. Some have even had to go to the Small Claims Court or do a Chargeback via their bank to obtain a refund!

Requests to speak to a manager are either inored, discouraged or needs repeated requests. Then, you find that the 'manager' isn't a manager at all, but simply another member of frontline staff. If they are a manager, they are seldom any more knowledgeable or professional than those working under them. You can add Amazon, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Samsung etc to those that behave like this.

In the case of Samsung, I wanted details of how to factory reset a tablet. The idiot on live chat wanted me to pay to send it back to them as a repair! I've had better quality conversations with toddlers- in all seriousness.

If the people that you work with aren't like this, that's great to hear. Maybe it's different across various industries, I really don't know.

Hugh 31-01-2022 10:00

Mmmm, seems to be one common factor about these problems with so many different companies…

Mythica 31-01-2022 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36111732)
Mmmm, seems to be one common factor about these problems with so many different companies…

Probably all made up. Never known one person need so many CEO contacts.

Carth 31-01-2022 10:42

Yes, I was just thinking how some posts remind me of the ex father in law (long since departed).
He was a 'bullish' manager at his workplace until his knees gave out due to his size and lifestyle, rendering him unfit for work and subsequently disabled.

Frustrated at being unable to leave the house he turned his hand to writing letters to the local rags, all complaining about one thing or another. The more they printed the more he wrote, believing himself to be some sort of 'peoples champion'. He also inflicted his 'views' on visiting friends & family, unable (or unwilling) to see that his ever increasing 'self importance' was slowly driving everyone away.

Sad really, because if he'd focused his attention to positives rather than negatives he'd have had more people willing to get him out of the house socialising and visiting community hubs etc.

Mr K 31-01-2022 10:59

Still no news of any price rise for me. Maybe I'm lucky or the postie has decided to spare me the news !

daveeb 31-01-2022 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36111743)
Still no news of any price rise for me. Maybe I'm lucky or the postie has decided to spare me the news !

Maybe check your post Mr K, I got a letter today :(

Itshim 31-01-2022 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36111553)
I disagree. I think it's ridiculous that someone can have sex with a 17 year old here and it's fine, but if they go to America it's classed as child abuse. I'm not particularly linking this with Prince Andrew, but I have more of a problem with the trafficking/prostitution angle than the woman's age.

I've had good and bad agents too, but on balance had more bad from abroard. I'm not sure of the relevance of the obvious fact that common courtesy should be used, though if it wasn't (for whatever reason), I would expect agents to remain professional at all times regardless and not treat the customer any less favourably, which may be unlawful.

Just googled age of consent,parts of Europe it's 14 . As well as lots of other countries . Making No comment.

gus0898uk 31-01-2022 23:11

It is very bizarre that VM are having a 'Winter Sale' for new customers, paid for by charging their existing customers even more every month.

I need to ring 150 this week anyway as my 18 month contract finishes in around 3 weeks and VM are proposing to change my monthly payment from £93 to £111, what's that around 17%?