Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710629)

pip08456 03-12-2021 16:20

Re: Coronavirus

For those panicing about Omicron this may help.

jfman 03-12-2021 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36104186)
For those panicing about Omicron this may help.

I’m one minute in and so far I can tell Covid is on the up in almost all age groups, and almost all regions. Is there good news in there?

I think people will certainly be careful, and take personal responsibility by keeping their money in their pockets this December until there is some clarity.

Sephiroth 03-12-2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104187)
I’m one minute in and so far I can tell Covid is on the up in almost all age groups, and almost all regions. Is there good news in there?

I think people will certainly be careful, and take personal responsibility by keeping their money in their pockets this December until there is some clarity.

I'm splurging - and looking by the numbers in John Lewis (High Wycombe) and Waitrose (Wokingham), the good burgerS in my area may be doing likewise.

Hugh 03-12-2021 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104097)
Awww mate, I didn’t have you down as a vulnerable adult. I will adjust accordingly.

Just make sure you have a responsible person with you when posting.

Once again, like in so many of your judgments, you would be mistaken…

Also, I doubt very much, with your solipsistic outlook, you would adjust for anything or anyone unless it benefited you…

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104162)
I certainly don’t agree with enforced inoculations!

I think most people understand what I mean when I say the scientists want to control us. They have frightened a portion of the public senseless, offered up wildly inflated future scenarios and come at us continually demanding more action restricting our freedoms. How can you not understand this?

Why do the scientists want to control us?

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104168)
OK, is this better?

‘ Old Boy there’s no reasoning with someone who thinks Covid 19 is a communist plot to keep people in lockdown.’

I didn’t say that. Another twist. I said Communists like to control people.

‘I told you it wouldn’t go away in the summer. It didn’t.’

The variant we were dealing with then did, actually. It was a new variant that changed the infection rate.

‘I told you variants would reduce vaccine efficacy. It did.’

It was always obvious that mutations could do this, and I warned about that ages ago. However, you only really know what the impact of any new mutation is when it happens. The problem with the latest variant from SA is that the scientists are leaping into control freakery before they actually know we have a problem. You seem blind to the fact that we cannot go on like this, year after year.

‘I said there was no evidence it would become less virulent. There isn’t.’

True. No evidence it will be more so, either. However, thus far, SA infections are not leading to increased hospitalisations over other variants, so we will have to see if that changes.

‘How do you propose to recover the economy when rational actors in the economy stay home - at least some of the time - so they don’t get sick?’

I should imagine that the vast majority will carry on as they do now, going into work. Of course if the government continue to enforce isolation a la pingdemic, it goes without saying we will have a problem, but that is not what I am advocating.

‘What proposals do you have to support those businesses your heart bled so much for when they could rely on furlough and other support measures to get them through Christmas? They can’t live on entrepreneurial spirit’

Except that I am not advocating enforced isolation. You are.

A question for you, however. When we have totally ruined the economy and we are all reduced to poverty, how do you propose the NHS will be funded? You’re the economist, apparently. Knock yourself out.

As for your last comment, people should be going to work, not staying at home unless legally required to do so. And I do not believe there is any necessity to impose such a requirement at present.

You are advocating enforced isolation for 3.7 million people.

Pierre 03-12-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36104203)
Once again, like in so many of your judgments, you would be mistaken…

Also, I doubt very much, with your solipsistic outlook, you would adjust for anything or anyone unless it benefited you…

I hope your designated responsible adult has approved that post.

Mr K 03-12-2021 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104214)
I hope your designated responsible adult has approved that post.

Oh dear, bit like a playground round here..

Had my booster at the weekend, Moderna , bit poorly for a day then OK. Can't be as good as the AZN jab because that made me ill for a week!

jfman 03-12-2021 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36104216)

Had my booster at the weekend, Moderna , bit poorly for a day then OK. Can't be as good as the AZN jab because that made me ill for a week!

You don’t expect Pierre’s personal responsibility to take him outside to catch Covid on a Friday night, do you?

That’s for the plebs.

OLD BOY 03-12-2021 20:19

Quote:

[/COLOR]
You are advocating enforced isolation for 3.7 million people.

Rather than for 60m, wouldn’t you say?

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

Quote:

Why do the scientists want to control us?.

Because they can.

jfman 03-12-2021 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104222)
Rather than for 60m, wouldn’t you say?

I see shield the vulnerable is now stuff the vulnerable. I’m not sure how we can force 60 million people into isolation given many of them live together, and mixing was permitted at various stages of restrictions with some mitigations - e.g. distancing.

How does your economy look without their purchasing power within it?

Quote:

Because they can.
The communists want to control us, now it’s the scientists.

The irony is that it is you, Old Boy, wanting to restrict freedoms of others for the sake of ideology. Force people to work regardless of whether it’s safe. Force people to commute. Force people into bars and cafes to keep them viable.

All fundamentally because, I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over. So the sooner others got on with it the better.

OLD BOY 03-12-2021 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104228)
I see shield the vulnerable is now stuff the vulnerable. I’m not sure how we can force 60 million people into isolation given many of them live together, and mixing was permitted at various stages of restrictions with some mitigations - e.g. distancing.

How does your economy look without their purchasing power within it?

No, it’s shield the vulnerable. What are lockdowns - your solution - if not isolation?

Lockdowns will not eliminate the virus - although you don’t seem to understand this point.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104228)
The communists want to control us, now it’s the scientists.

The irony is that it is you, Old Boy, wanting to restrict freedoms of others for the sake of ideology. Force people to work regardless of whether it’s safe. Force people to commute. Force people into bars and cafes to keep them viable.

All fundamentally because, I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over. So the sooner others got on with it the better.

The scientists have been trying to control our actions and what we can and cannot do since Covid arrived, and now it’s become a habitual knee-jerk response to everything. Some are making no secret of the fact they want to see mask wearing and social distancing forever more.

And what do you mean by ‘ I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over’? Where does that come from? Nobody stops me from going out, sunshine.

jfman 03-12-2021 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104232)
No, it’s shield the vulnerable. What are lockdowns - your solution - if not isolation?

Again you deliberately conflate restrictions with lockdowns. Proving my point that debating with you is an essentially meaningless exercise because you fail to consider the points that are actually being made to you. Have you even considered if the economic impact of "shield the vulnerable", plus those self-selecting their way out of the economy and the WFH brigade outweigh the economic impact of some mitigations? You yourself couldn't name a single activity you wanted to do but could not directly before so-called "Freedom Day". Of course you haven't - because it's purely ideological.

Quote:

Lockdowns will not eliminate the virus - although you don’t seem to understand this point.
Burying your head in the sand won't bring back a 2019 economy either.

Quote:

The scientists have been trying to control our actions and what we can and cannot do since Covid arrived, and now it’s become a habitual knee-jerk response to everything. Some are making no secret of the fact they want to see mask wearing and social distancing forever more.
I've yet to see anyone say that those are required forever - this is pure speculation on your part and scaremongering.

Quote:

And what do you mean by ‘ I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over’? Where does that come from? Nobody stops me from going out, sunshine.
I mean the words I say - they are clear and unambiguous statements. You don't see me shifting goalposts so read it back to yourself, interpret it as you wish and take it from there.

I note you specifically say "nobody" stops me from going out - not "nothing" stops me from going out. These have two distinct meanings. I didn't at any stage deny that you would be making an autonomous choice in taking the proposed action. Sunshine.

Mad Max 03-12-2021 21:04

Jffers, get a beer.....:D

Pierre 03-12-2021 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36104216)

I was hoping you would step up and assist an older person with obvious cognitive issues.

Bless you.

Mr K 03-12-2021 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104236)
I was hoping you would step up and assist an older person with obvious cognitive issues.

Bless you.

I'd help you cross the road, anytime old chap :)

nomadking 03-12-2021 22:00

Even if the double jabbed that get infected, aren't able to pass it on, they must have caught it from someone who DID pass it on. The number of double-jabbed and infected, indicates how many infectious people are still out there.

Pierre 03-12-2021 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36104237)
I'd help you cross the road, anytime old chap :)

There’s not many be so kind. Bonny lad.

pip08456 03-12-2021 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36104240)
Even if the double jabbed that get infected, aren't able to pass it on, they must have caught it from someone who DID pass it on. The number of double-jabbed and infected, indicates how many infectious people are still out there.

There's only about 50m double jabbed so still a fair few to go.

I notice SAGE are at it agin trying to instil fear.

Quote:

Despite the hopes afforded by boosters, the SAGE papers today suggested Britain will not be coronavirus-free for at least another five years.

Experts suggested some form of measures will be needed for the next half a decade, with constant monitoring required to prevent future waves after Omicron has finished.

SAGE said: 'SARS-CoV-2 will continue to be a threat to health system function and require active management, of which vaccination and surveillance are key, for at least the next five years.'
Trying to justify their jobs perhaps?

jfman 03-12-2021 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36104246)
There's only about 50m double jabbed so still a fair few to go.

I notice SAGE are at it agin trying to instil fear.

Trying to justify their jobs perhaps?

What do you propose? Not monitoring?

As we are two years in on our fourth major variant (other areas of the world have saw others) I'm not convinced pretending it's not out there is a viable solution.

If vaccines are to become annual affairs, as many expect, monitoring is essential to find out how to tweak each vaccine.

This is what living with the virus looks like.

Paul 04-12-2021 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104187)

Maybe you should try watching all of it instead of 1 minute :erm:

Basically, "dont panic".
There is lots of hype about Omicron, but little to back it up atm.
Its likely to be a lot less of an issue than you think and could even just fizzle out, like beta did.

Oh, and covid cases (in general) are going up in most of Europe, but not so much in the UK.
Probably because we "unlocked" in the summer, they didnt, plus the added effect of boosters.

OLD BOY 04-12-2021 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104234)
Again you deliberately conflate restrictions with lockdowns. Proving my point that debating with you is an essentially meaningless exercise because you fail to consider the points that are actually being made to you. Have you even considered if the economic impact of "shield the vulnerable", plus those self-selecting their way out of the economy and the WFH brigade outweigh the economic impact of some mitigations? You yourself couldn't name a single activity you wanted to do but could not directly before so-called "Freedom Day". Of course you haven't - because it's purely ideological.

Burying your head in the sand won't bring back a 2019 economy either.

Same old, same old. All this has been explained in previous posts. I’m getting off your merry go round now. You’ve had your fun, but you haven’t won.

As long as the PM keeps his nerve when so many lefties are panicking, we’ll be just fine resisting the panic measures these people are advocating.

---------- Post added at 01:31 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104248)
What do you propose? Not monitoring?

As we are two years in on our fourth major variant (other areas of the world have saw others) I'm not convinced pretending it's not out there is a viable solution.

If vaccines are to become annual affairs, as many expect, monitoring is essential to find out how to tweak each vaccine.

This is what living with the virus looks like.

You are the one pretending there’s a crisis here in the U.K.

jfman 04-12-2021 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36104253)
Maybe you should try watching all of it instead of 1 minute :erm:

Basically, "dont panic".
There is lots of hype about Omicron, but little to back it up atm.
Its likely to be a lot less of an issue than you think and could even just fizzle out, like beta did.

Oh, and covid cases (in general) are going up in most of Europe, but not so much in the UK.
Probably because we "unlocked" in the summer, they didnt, plus the added effect of boosters.

As we all know the British public respond well to “don’t panic”.

What you call ‘hype’ is grounded scientific analysis. While it may be that in practice vaccine efficacy holds up better than predicted, or the increased transmissibility seen to date is actually a fluke of a small number of superspreader events.

That doesn’t mean caution shouldn’t be considered. Individuals will take it upon themselves to exercise caution regardless until the data is clear.

Country comparisons suddenly valid because (relatively) we have looked in line with everyone else for a few weeks is a strange one, but it’s a long winter.

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104256)
Same old, same old. All this has been explained in previous posts. I’m getting off your merry go round now. You’ve had your fun, but you haven’t won.

As long as the PM keeps his nerve when so many lefties are panicking, we’ll be just fine resisting the panic measures these people are advocating.

No answers but once again trying to portray this as a left wing ruse. My good news for you is Boris has such a great track record at not panicking.

Quote:

You are the one pretending there’s a crisis here in the U.K.
Enjoy living with the virus off the merry go round. Do come back when restrictions are reintroduced, if so just for my entertainment.

papa smurf 04-12-2021 10:22

NHS allows GPs to postpone health checks for over-75s to focus on booster jabs

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs...-jabs-12486013

Hugh 04-12-2021 12:20

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.21266068v2

Quote:

Although increases in the hazard of primary infection were observed following the introduction of both the Beta and Delta variants, no corresponding increase was observed in the reinfection hazard (approach 2). Contrary to expectation, the estimated hazard ratio for reinfection versus primary infection was lower during waves driven by the Beta and Delta variants than for the first wave (relative hazard ratio for wave 2 versus wave 1: 0.75 (CI95: 0.59-0.97); for wave 3 versus wave 1:0.71 (CI95: 0.56-0.92)). In contrast, the recent spread of the Omicron variant has been associated with a decrease in the hazard of primary infection and an increase in reinfection hazard. The estimated hazard ratio for reinfection versus primary infection for the period from 1 November 2021 to 27 November 2021 versus wave 1 was 2.39 (CI95: 1.88-3.11).

Conclusion: Population-level evidence suggests that the Omicron variant is associated with substantial ability to evade immunity from prior infection. In contrast, there is no population-wide epidemiological evidence of immune escape associated with the Beta or Delta variants. This finding has important implications for public health planning, particularly in countries like South Africa with high rates of immunity from prior infection. Urgent questions remain regarding whether Omicron is also able to evade vaccine-induced immunity and the potential implications of reduced immunity to infection on protection against severe disease and death.

Sephiroth 04-12-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104285)
NHS allows GPs to postpone health checks for over-75s to focus on booster jabs

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs...-jabs-12486013

A foolish decision, imo. If the doctors were true to their oath, they'd put in extra hours yo do the vaccinations rather than stiff the old folk.

Carth 04-12-2021 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36104312)
A foolish decision, imo. If the doctors were true to their oath, they'd put in extra hours yo do the vaccinations rather than stiff the old folk.

All three of my jabs have been administered by a nurse . . . no doctor in sight

Chris 04-12-2021 17:10

I’d always rather have an injection from a nurse than a GP, same if I had to give a blood sample. They do it much more often and are almost always better at it.

papa smurf 04-12-2021 17:16

Quote:

Sacrifice the elderly so perfectly healthy young people can get vaccinated for a third time.

mrmistoffelees 04-12-2021 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104325)
Sacrifice the elderly so perfectly healthy young people can get vaccinated for a third time.

It’s apparently perfectly acceptable to ignore/marginalise the vulnerable to allow the majority of society to continue.

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:

Or, we could not have an estimated shortage of forty odd thousand doctors ? Not to mention approximately the same again in nurses

Taf 04-12-2021 18:22

Quote:

Travellers heading to the UK will now have to have a Covid test before their departure in effort to limit spread of the virus, government has announced.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the tightened requirements will come into force from 04:00 on Tuesday.

Travellers will be required to submit evidence of a negative lateral flow or PCR test to enter.

Currently people only need to self-isolate until they test negative within two days of arriving.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685

At least a decent measure.

jfman 04-12-2021 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36104330)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685

At least a decent measure.

Brits stuck abroad having to pay for two weeks in a hotel at Christmas prices is going to be an entertaining read in the Mail/Express/Telegraph.

Carth 04-12-2021 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36104324)
I’d always rather have an injection from a nurse than a GP, same if I had to give a blood sample. They do it much more often and are almost always better at it.

yep, can't remember the last time I had an injection given by a doctor . . . which is why the headline posted by Papa seemed a bit silly . . to me anyway.

nffc 04-12-2021 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104336)
yep, can't remember the last time I had an injection given by a doctor . . . which is why the headline posted by Papa seemed a bit silly . . to me anyway.

Don't some GPs' practices need nurses with the doctors though in appointments? If the nurses are vaccinating that reduces what they can do there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104325)

The elderly have been triple jabbed. If evidence shows that younger age groups need that to slow down the virus spreading there and making people ill, then that is the priority. The health checks are after all in people who are not presenting illness, though they are useful as a warning sign of some illnesses.

Paul 05-12-2021 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104279)
What you call ‘hype’ is grounded scientific analysis.

No, its hype.

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104317)
All three of my jabs have been administered by a nurse . . . no doctor in sight

All of mine have been done by whoever is working at the vaccination centre.
I'm pretty sure none of them were doctors, so probably nurses, I never asked.

OLD BOY 05-12-2021 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36104351)
No, its hype.

Absolutely. Those who claim that all these decisions are based on the science and use this to justify emergency measures of whatever description happily ignore that principle when rushing to tighten the screws when a new variant comes along ‘just in case’.

jfman 05-12-2021 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104395)
Absolutely. Those who claim that all these decisions are based on the science and use this to justify emergency measures of whatever description happily ignore that principle when rushing to tighten the screws when a new variant comes along ‘just in case’.

Rubbish Old Boy. Hype doesn’t put people in hospital.

Your preference to deny the threat of variants is irrelevant to reality and scientific consensus, but that’s not novel.

We’ve got a track record of ignoring the inevitability of restrictions and reacting too late. So to claim that those advocating the precautionary principle are somehow controlling policy making is palpable nonsense.

We can see the reality on the ground in Gauteng - infections rising exponentially and hospitalisation following. We need a better rationale for it not happening here than British exceptionalism or luck. Then again as your opposition to restrictions is neither grounded in public health - or the economy (still waiting for your proposals to support hospitality as people act with caution) - it’s unsurprising you fail to consider reality in reaching the same conclusion you have done for almost two years now.

Hence your increasing absurd claims that scientists and communists are conspiring to control people but fail to answer the fundamental questions of any conspiracy theory. Why? To what end? Who benefits?

OLD BOY 05-12-2021 13:41

Vaccines, my dear chap, vaccines. Statistically, they make all the difference, you know.

jfman 05-12-2021 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104398)
Vaccines, my dear chap, vaccines. Statistically, they make all the difference, you know.

So much that we are frantically boosting everyone, and as I predicted vaccinating children against the wishes of Britain’s greatest behavioural scientists, as fast as we can.

Estimates put the previous infection rate in Gauteng at rates as high as 80%. Are you finally renouncing “natural immunity” and the Great Barrington Declaration? Quite the significant, if unsurprising, climbdown if so.

OLD BOY 05-12-2021 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104400)
So much that we are frantically boosting everyone, and as I predicted vaccinating children against the wishes of Britain’s greatest behavioural scientists, as fast as we can.

Estimates put the previous infection rate in Gauteng at rates as high as 80%. Are you finally renouncing “natural immunity” and the Great Barrington Declaration? Quite the significant, if unsurprising, climbdown if so.

I really don’t know what you are basing your opinions on, jfman. You seem to read an awful,lot into my posts which is not there.

Of course we are boosting everyone, that’s how we reduce pressure on the NHS, although I must say I don’t agree with vaccinating children as there is no demonstrable benefit to them from doing so.

Once again, you are putting emphasis on infection rates rather than hospitalisations. The combination of vaccinations and infections will help us to get to the herd immunity that we have talked about so many times.

jfman 05-12-2021 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104402)
I really don’t know what you are basing your opinions on, jfman. You seem to read an awful,lot into my posts which is not there.

Of course we are boosting everyone, that’s how we reduce pressure on the NHS, although I must say I don’t agree with vaccinating children as there is no demonstrable benefit to them from doing so.

Once again, you are putting emphasis on infection rates rather than hospitalisations. The combination of vaccinations and infections will help us to get to the herd immunity that we have talked about so many times.

Bless, still stuck in mid-2020.

You’ll get there eventually. If Covid doesn’t get you first.

nffc 05-12-2021 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104403)

Do you need a new knife?

Maggy 05-12-2021 16:24

:zzz: Nothing new going on in this thread apart from the usual so called point scoring

Taf 05-12-2021 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104400)
.... against the wishes of Britain’s greatest behavioural scientists....

What do behavioural scientists know about vaccines and viruses? :dunce::dunce:

OLD BOY 05-12-2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104403)

We didn’t have vaccinations until very late in 2020, so I’m not sure I understand your point.

Currently, infections remain high and hospitalisations remain low and falling. That’s due to the vaccination programme.

Damien 05-12-2021 22:29

Managed to get my booster at a walk-in clinic, fed up of waiting the NHS website to open it up a week after the Government said everyone should get it.

papa smurf 06-12-2021 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36104449)
Managed to get my booster at a walk-in clinic, fed up of waiting the NHS website to open it up a week after the Government said everyone should get it.

Should get it is an arse covering term with no guarantee you will get it;)

mrmistoffelees 06-12-2021 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104464)
Should get it is an arse covering term with no guarantee you will get it;)

Hit the gin early this morning ? ;)

Pierre 06-12-2021 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104433)
We didn’t have vaccinations until very late in 2020, so I’m not sure I understand your point.

Currently, infections remain high and hospitalisations remain low and falling. That’s due to the vaccination programme.

over 90% of the population have COVID antibodies.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...hts/antibodies

1andrew1 06-12-2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104475)

You've misread it, Pierre. It's over 90% of adults, not over 90% of the population.

Pierre 06-12-2021 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36104478)
You've misread it, Pierre. It's over 90% of adults, not over 90% of the population.

close enough for me.

1andrew1 06-12-2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104479)
close enough for me.

Don't get why you think that!

If 74% of the UK population are adult and 90%+ vaccinated, then the vaccination rate for the UK population is over 70% not over 90% as you claimed.

Pierre 06-12-2021 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36104481)
Don't get why you think that!

If 74% of the UK population are adult and 90%+ vaccinated, then the vaccination rate for the UK population is over 70% not over 90% as you claimed.

Yes, but as COVID in the main affects adults with severe illness and not children (and we're not even vaccinating U12's).

Then it's a very high %.

we should rejoice, no need for lockdowns or other measures with %'s that high.

papa smurf 06-12-2021 12:32

Stay at home if you have a cold this Christmas, says professor
People with cold-like symptoms should work from home and avoid Christmas parties in a bid to stem the spread of coronavirus, according to Tim Spector, from the COVID Zoe app.

The professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London told Times Radio the UK should be "much more open-minded about who we are testing" and "get more people to isolate at least for a few days with cold-like symptoms".

"At the moment, we're estimating that somewhere between one and three and one in four colds are actually due to COVID," he said.:omg:

"And so that's quite a high rate of people that are currently not even bothered to get a lateral flow test, or getting a PCR test, going to parties and spreading it around.

"So if that transfers to Omicron then we're going to be compiling that problem much faster than we would need to."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...dates-12469075

Carth 06-12-2021 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104483)
Stay at home if you have a cold this Christmas, says professor
People with cold-like symptoms should work from home and avoid Christmas parties in a bid to stem the spread of coronavirus, according to Tim Spector, from the COVID Zoe app.

The professor of genetic epidemiology at King's College London told Times Radio the UK should be "much more open-minded about who we are testing" and "get more people to isolate at least for a few days with cold-like symptoms".

"At the moment, we're estimating that somewhere between one and three and one in four colds are actually due to COVID," he said.:omg:

"And so that's quite a high rate of people that are currently not even bothered to get a lateral flow test, or getting a PCR test, going to parties and spreading it around.

"So if that transfers to Omicron then we're going to be compiling that problem much faster than we would need to."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...dates-12469075

. . and as the Omicron symptoms - up to now - are believed to be quite mild, that's what's going to happen.
Having said that, how many of us ever did take a test for a tickly cough and sore throat?

jfman 06-12-2021 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104479)
close enough for me.

And it’s irrelevant against Omicron. Over 80% of Gauteng are believed to have been infected in previous waves, with some now on their third bount of Covid. Excellent news for the Great Barringtons among us that “natural immunity” isn’t immunity at all. The evidence was also showing substantial waning of vaccine efficacy against Delta so that has inevitable consequences.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104482)
Yes, but as COVID in the main affects adults with severe illness and not children (and we're not even vaccinating U12's).

Then it's a very high %.

we should rejoice, no need for lockdowns or other measures with %'s that high.

I’m not sure hoteliers and restaurant owners can pay the bills with your rejoice from the safety of sitting at your keyboard.

Once again your opposition to any restrictions is ideological and not grounded in any evidence whatsoever.

Pierre 06-12-2021 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104486)
And it’s irrelevant against Omicron. Over 80% of Gauteng are believed to have been infected in previous waves, with some now on their third bount of Covid.

Happy to read your source.

However, all the news stories I can find on Omicron all trace back to this one paper:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...068v2.full.pdf

Where a study of 2.8m people previously infected found that 35,670 had been reinfected. A whopping 1.27%

There is no real data on whether Omicron can evade current vaccines, or the severity of illness

Quote:

Excellent news for the Great Barringtons among us that “natural immunity” isn’t immunity at all. The evidence was also showing substantial waning of vaccine efficacy against Delta so that has inevitable consequences.
I don't know about "substantial" but isn't that why we're having boosters anyway?

Quote:

I’m not sure hoteliers and restaurant owners can pay the bills with your rejoice from the safety of sitting at your keyboard.
Oh. well I spent a lovely week in Bridgnorth last week, and I've been to the pub for a steak dinner pretty much every week for several months, so I've been doing my bit for the hoteliers and landlords.

Quote:

Once again your opposition to any restrictions is ideological and not grounded in any evidence whatsoever.
And things are going so well in Australia, New Zealand and Europe. Yes, restrictions are the answer................

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104485)
Having said that, how many of us ever did take a test for a tickly cough and sore throat?

There's a few that should take a mental competency test.

jfman 06-12-2021 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104489)
Happy to read your source.

However, all the news stories I can find on Omicron all trace back to this one paper:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...068v2.full.pdf

Where a study of 2.8m people previously infected found that 35,670 had been reinfected. A whopping 1.27%

In the small amount of time since discovery 1.27% is quite a lot considering exponential growth.

Quote:

There is no real data on whether Omicron can evade current vaccines, or the severity of illness
There’s enough for everyone to hit the panic button.

Quote:

I don't know about "substantial" but isn't that why we're having boosters anyway?
So you accept vaccines are waning and your simplistic “how many people have antibodies” statistic is absolutely irrelevant.

Quote:

Oh. well I spent a lovely week in Bridgnorth last week, and I've been to the pub for a steak dinner pretty much every week for several months, so I've been doing my bit for the hoteliers and landlords.

And things are going so well in Australia, New Zealand and Europe. Yes, restrictions are the answer................

There's a few that should take a mental competency test.
Ironic for the thread sociopath to question the mental competency of anyone.

So pray, tell Pierre at what threshold for hospitalisations and deaths would you bring in restrictions?

Because ultimately if you have no threshold participating in an evidence based discussion with you is pointless.

Pierre 06-12-2021 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104492)
In the small amount of time since discovery 1.27% is quite a lot.

I'm not a statistician but 1.27% applied to anything is small, or is that what you tell your girlfriend?

Quote:

There’s enough for everyone to hit the panic button.
You don't need evidence of anything to cause panic, as we have seen.

Quote:

So you accept vaccines are waning and your simplistic “how many people have antibodies” statistic is absolutely irrelevant.
I accept that, like a flu jab, the efficacy of the vaccine against COVID will vary, and annual or bi-annual vaccines may be required. The higher the immune response in a population can only be a good thing n'est pas?

Quote:

So pray, tell Pierre at what threshold for hospitalisations and deaths would you bring in restrictions?
I wouldn't. We have vaccines.

Quote:

Because ultimately if you have no threshold participating in an evidence based discussion with you is pointless.
But if the evidence shows you don't need a threshold................

jfman 06-12-2021 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104493)
I'm not a statistician but 1.27% applied to anything is small, or is that what you tell your girlfriend?

It’s always the tell that you are rattled when you resort to the petulant insults.

Quote:

I accept that, like a flu jab, the efficacy of the vaccine against COVID will vary,
A massive climbdown in a mere two posts.

Quote:

I wouldn't.
At least confirmation that regardless of what the evidence says you will always reach the same conclusion. As many of us have long suspected.

Sephiroth 06-12-2021 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104492)
In the small amount of time since discovery 1.27% is quite a lot considering exponential growth.

<SNIP>

Given that actuality preceded "discovery" by at least a couple of months, perhaps the "exponential growth" to 1.27% could be considered small.

Pierre 06-12-2021 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104494)
It’s always the tell that you are rattled when you resort to the petulant insults.

no, I’m just very immature.

Quote:

A massive climbdown in a mere two posts.
how so?

Quote:

At least confirmation that regardless of what the evidence says you will always reach the same conclusion. As many of us have long suspected.
What does the evidence say?

Mick 06-12-2021 16:00

I am going to start handing out topic breaks to people who cannot debate amicably, jfman, wind your neck in, you will be first to get a topic ban if your petty and petulant arguing continues.

OLD BOY 06-12-2021 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104475)

The T-cells are also important in fighting all infections.

SnoopZ 06-12-2021 17:23

Happy News from me........

On 12th of November both my parents tested positive for Covid my Mum recovered after a few weeks but my Father's Oxygen levels were low so an Ambulance was called, after 1hr lying in the Ambulance queue outside A&E he was eventually off-loaded, but then spent a further 3hrs waiting to get a bed.

As if catching Covid wasn't enough for a 79 year old with very little immune system he was also diagnosed with Pneumonia and Sepsis!

He was put on Oxygen and Antibiotic, it got to the point where he was struggling to breath and I generally thought I wouldn't see him again!

But with the odds stacked against him he has recovered enough for him to be taken off Oxygen, he's still weak and needs help walking as his lungs need to recover from the pneumonia but he has now been sent home and I have just had a 17min video chat with him and from what I see of his face and the way he was talking so confidently looks so happy.

He had been double vaccinated and boostered but was told he would have been in ICU if he hadn't of been or worse.

Big smile again from me.

joglynne 06-12-2021 17:27

Very happy for you SnoopZ. Hopefully now he's home he will be able to make a good recovery. xx

Jaymoss 06-12-2021 17:30

Glad he is recovering buddy

SnoopZ 06-12-2021 17:37

Thank you. :)

jfman 06-12-2021 17:54

If Javid’s right and there’s hundreds of folk out there with with it not knowing it, household contacts not self isolating, etc. get your money on a Christmas lockdown. And lockdown lockdown not you can go to the pub with 4 mates from 3 households wearing a mask restrictions.

When’s the school holidays in England that’s a good starting point a free couple of weeks.

mrmistoffelees 06-12-2021 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104518)
If Javid’s right and there’s hundreds of folk out there with with it not knowing it, household contacts not self isolating, etc. get your money on a Christmas lockdown. And lockdown lockdown not you can go to the pub with 4 mates from 3 households wearing a mask restrictions.

When’s the school holidays in England that’s a good starting point a free couple of weeks.

Not going to happen

Unless the NHS is put under a sustained significant risk of collapse and there’s a major uptick in deaths then the economy comes first.

jfman 06-12-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104519)
Not going to happen

Unless the NHS is put under a sustained significant risk of collapse and there’s a major uptick in deaths then the economy comes first.

They’ve always taken that stance and consistently proven wrong so I’d not put too much weight into their intentions. There’s a number of cases that’s going to be a breaking point, the question is whether this variant is enough to push it there.

Pierre 06-12-2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104518)
If Javid’s right and there’s hundreds of folk out there with with it not knowing it, household contacts not self isolating, etc.

Exactly how is that scenario any different from any day since we opened back up?

The fact that the vaccinated (which is just about everybody nowadays) can catch and transmit, means that will always be the case. It will circulate around the population probably until the end of time.

You should work for Sky or the BBC.

Deaths and Hospitalisations have been in steady decline since the end of October. There would have to be a significant upturn in the next two weeks for it to be even considered.

Hugh 06-12-2021 18:33

I think the vaxs and booster will make the difference from last year - I don’t think anything will change (drastically) before Christmas, because if there is any rise in hospitalisations/deaths due to Omicron, it will take a couple of weeks to get to a noticeable rise (if it happens).

mrmistoffelees 06-12-2021 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104520)
They’ve always taken that stance and consistently proven wrong so I’d not put too much weight into their intentions. There’s a number of cases that’s going to be a breaking point, the question is whether this variant is enough to push it there.

The breaking point won’t be cases it will be the number of hospitalisations/deaths that triggers.

We’re on for an ‘interesting’ few weeks whilst the formal data comes in, anything at the moment is pretty much anecdotal.

Right now imho we should have wfh where possible introduced asap

nffc 06-12-2021 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36104523)
The breaking point won’t be cases it will be the number of hospitalisations/deaths that triggers.

We’re on for an ‘interesting’ few weeks whilst the formal data comes in, anything at the moment is pretty much anecdotal.

Anything largely comes into the "suspected but not known" or "not enough data to prove" category at the moment as this variant has been only known for a couple of weeks.

Now, chances are this was around much longer. It may well be that a fair amount have had colds or something and just dismissed it as such when actually that was covid.

Dr Fauci has I believe joined the "it's a milder illness than the other variants" camp today, but that surely isn't known yet, given that it takes a week or two to see the effect on hospitalisations.

I really don't think it will be this month we will know on that count in any real detail, by which point vaccinating adults with 3rd doses should be much more under way, schools will have been off, I think a lot will put their own breaks on Christmas mixing, a lot will choose to work from home, which will reduce the numbers of contacts people have, and it's little surprising that those are two of the places where transmission of any virus is high.

Let's also not forget as JVT and others have recently said any vaccine escape is going to be partial not complete, is still likely to protect against severe disease, and is likely to be increased the more vaccines you have. There is no suggestion that there will be total escape from Omicron and the vaccines were never designed to stop people getting covid.

And let's be fair a lot of what was said here (more transmissible, more people getting it, vaccine escape) was said about Delta too. And there were various estimates initially which did fluctuate as to how bad that was, and it turned out the vaccines largely still worked.

If hospital admissions do stay down, then it's likely this will just blow over, and that's where the Government have always really thought with restrictions. Cases can be misleading, even the PCR test inventor said that it doesn't detect whether someone is infectious, it just shows that the sample had the same sample they are looking for from the virus. And even with the way we measure hospital admissions it doesn't necessarily include just people who have presented with a severe covid infection, it could be someone who broke their arm playing football and registered a +ve covid test on arrival without any covid related issues, or not serious ones. From what I saw the other day that seems to be the issue in Gauteng too.

So it's important not to draw too many conclusions at this stage, and not to assume that it will either be OK or the end of the world or probably any stance in between. You can be sure that the scientists who matter are looking at it.

Quote:

I would have done that way before masks in shops.

jfman 06-12-2021 18:53

Quote:

They follow each other in the long run and deep down they know that.

The school holidays has the difference of mitigating the economic impact and providing a natural point for a circuit breaker. Worst case scenario they overegg it by accident, ease pressure on the NHS and roll out a few million boosters.

OLD BOY 06-12-2021 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104527)
They follow each other in the long run and deep down they know that.

The school holidays has the difference of mitigating the economic impact and providing a natural point for a circuit breaker. Worst case scenario they overegg it by accident, ease pressure on the NHS and roll out a few million boosters.

Why are you so sure that the vaccinations won’t work? Do you have any evidence for this inexplicable view?

jfman 06-12-2021 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104531)
Why are you so sure that the vaccinations won’t work? Do you have any evidence for this inexplicable view?

There’s nothing inexplicable about it, OB.

Why do you think the rush to boost and extend eligibility? The JCVI didn’t need 3 months to make a decision on that one.

These aren’t chance actions - they are conscious choices based on the analysis of the emerging data available. The data already supported waning efficacy vs Delta. Omicron has mutations linked to vaccine escape in both Beta and (I think) Gamma. Vaccine manufacturers themselves acknowledge this the question is just how much.

Bear in mind Delta knocked a chunk off of the vaccine efficacy vs Delta. What would be inexplicable is to assume that Omicron wouldn’t even if there was no scientific data that it does.

There’s no reason to sit back, do nothing and hope for the best. The question marks are what to do, and when.

If you genuinely believe there’s nothing in this, and this time believe that the Government will push through regardless despite scientific advice and do nothing, then I’m happy to leave it there rather than go around in circles because we won’t agree.

Blackshep 06-12-2021 20:40

We are reaching a point where people are sick and tired of restrictions and are actively not complying this has been going on for so long fatigue is settling in restrictions are not a realistic option for much longer unless increased social unrest is the goal. As we've learnt to live with flu so we will have to live with covid which isn't the mass killer some would have us believe. Dealing with the other aspects of covid won't be so easy.

TheDaddy 06-12-2021 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36104514)
Happy News from me........

On 12th of November both my parents tested positive for Covid my Mum recovered after a few weeks but my Father's Oxygen levels were low so an Ambulance was called, after 1hr lying in the Ambulance queue outside A&E he was eventually off-loaded, but then spent a further 3hrs waiting to get a bed.

As if catching Covid wasn't enough for a 79 year old with very little immune system he was also diagnosed with Pneumonia and Sepsis!

He was put on Oxygen and Antibiotic, it got to the point where he was struggling to breath and I generally thought I wouldn't see him again!

But with the odds stacked against him he has recovered enough for him to be taken off Oxygen, he's still weak and needs help walking as his lungs need to recover from the pneumonia but he has now been sent home and I have just had a 17min video chat with him and from what I see of his face and the way he was talking so confidently looks so happy.

He had been double vaccinated and boostered but was told he would have been in ICU if he hadn't of been or worse.

Big smile again from me.

Good news on this thread for a change :tu:

SnoopZ 06-12-2021 21:32

I had my Moderna booster earlier.

DDDD 06-12-2021 22:44

You can't really have a variant for something that's never been isolated , but you can have a test PCR at 45 cycles will turn pure water into some false positives

https://odysee.com/@katie.su:7/kateinterviewsstefan3:a

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2008-3.pdf

This is the original paper on the discovery of the new 'virus ' it simply describes aligning short sequences of RNA to look like a longer one

Data processing and identification of the viral agent
Sequencing reads were first adaptor and quality trimmed using the
Trimmomatic program32. The remaining 56,565,928 reads were assembled de novo using both Megahit (v.1.1.3)9
and Trinity (v.2.5.1)33 with
default parameter settings. Megahit generated a total of 384,096 assembled contigs (size range of 200–30,474 nt), whereas Trinity generated
1,329,960 contigs with a size range of 201–11,760 nt.

Trinity results debunk the whole thing

Spike protein was invented not seen

Analysis of the RBD domain of the spike protein of WHCV
An amino acid sequence alignment of RBD sequences from WHCV,
SARS-CoVs and bat SARS-like CoVs was performed using MUSCLE41.
The predicted protein structures of the RBD of the spike protein were
estimated based on target–template alignment using ProMod3
the longest
(30,474 nucleotides (nt)) had a high abundance and was closely related
to a bat SARS-like coronavirus (CoV) isolate—bat SL-CoVZC45 (GenBank
accession number MG772933)—that had previously been sampled in
China, with a nucleotide identity of 89.1%

The bat coronavirus was also insilico ( invented on a computer from short sequences ) and was 89% similar to the reconstructed short sequences found in lung fluid , this is about as similar from a human to a cat .

The main thing missing from all of these papers are control experiments , none of them are scientific.

ianch99 06-12-2021 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDDD (Post 36104556)
You can't really have a variant for something that's never been isolated , but you can have a test PCR at 45 cycles will turn pure water into some false positives

https://odysee.com/@katie.su:7/kateinterviewsstefan3:a

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2008-3.pdf

This is the original paper on the discovery of the new 'virus ' it simply describes aligning short sequences of RNA to look like a longer one

Data processing and identification of the viral agent
Sequencing reads were first adaptor and quality trimmed using the
Trimmomatic program32. The remaining 56,565,928 reads were assembled de novo using both Megahit (v.1.1.3)9
and Trinity (v.2.5.1)33 with
default parameter settings. Megahit generated a total of 384,096 assembled contigs (size range of 200–30,474 nt), whereas Trinity generated
1,329,960 contigs with a size range of 201–11,760 nt.

Trinity results debunk the whole thing

Spike protein was invented not seen

Analysis of the RBD domain of the spike protein of WHCV
An amino acid sequence alignment of RBD sequences from WHCV,
SARS-CoVs and bat SARS-like CoVs was performed using MUSCLE41.
The predicted protein structures of the RBD of the spike protein were
estimated based on target–template alignment using ProMod3
the longest
(30,474 nucleotides (nt)) had a high abundance and was closely related
to a bat SARS-like coronavirus (CoV) isolate—bat SL-CoVZC45 (GenBank
accession number MG772933)—that had previously been sampled in
China, with a nucleotide identity of 89.1%

The bat coronavirus was also insilico ( invented on a computer from short sequences ) and was 89% similar to the reconstructed short sequences found in lung fluid , this is about as similar from a human to a cat .

The main thing missing from all of these papers are control experiments , none of them are scientific.

Anyone got a translation for this?

Jaymoss 06-12-2021 22:58

put a tin foil hat on, it will all make sense

Sephiroth 06-12-2021 23:00

At a guess - Covid was invented in a China lab, put into bats that have propensity for SARS-like coronavirus and the bats released into the wild. They were caught and put into the Wuhan wet market .....

Or summat!

Paul 06-12-2021 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36104558)

LOL (Im no wiser either btw) :)

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36104550)
I had my Moderna booster earlier.

You are now the only person I know who has had Moderna.

Hugh 06-12-2021 23:08

What it really said

Quote:

This outbreak highlights the ongoing ability of viral spill-over from animals to cause severe disease in humans
Quote:

These genomic and clinical similarities to SARS, as well as its high abundance in clinical samples, provides evidence for an associa- tion between WHCV and the ongoing outbreak of respiratory disease in Wuhan and across the world. Although the isolation of the virus from only a single patient is not sufficient to conclude that it caused these respiratory symptoms, our findings have been independently corroborated in further patients in a separate study.

The identification of multiple SARS-like CoVs in bats have led to the idea that these animals act as hosts of a natural reservoir of these viruses . Although SARS-like viruses have been identified widely in bats in China, viruses identical to SARS-CoV have not yet been docu- mented. Notably, WHCV is most closely related to bat coronaviruses, and shows 100% amino acid similarity to bat SL-CoVZC45 in the nsp7 and E proteins (Supplementary Table 3). Thus, these data suggest that bats are a possible host for the viral reservoir of WHCV. However, as a variety of animal species were for sale in the market when the disease was first reported, further studies are needed to determine the natural reservoir and any intermediate hosts of WHCV.
Note added in proof: Since this paper was accepted, the ICTV has designated the virus as SARS-CoV-230; in addition, the WHO has released the official name of the disease caused by this virus, which is COVID-19.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36104561)
LOL (Im no wiser either btw) :)

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

You are now the only person I know who has had Moderna.

My wife and I had it as a booster.

Paul 06-12-2021 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36104522)
I think the vaxs and booster will make the difference from last year - I don’t think anything will change (drastically) before Christmas, because if there is any rise in hospitalisations/deaths due to Omicron, it will take a couple of weeks to get to a noticeable rise (if it happens).

Cases rose a little at the end of November, but look to be falling again atm.
Deaths have been in decline since the start of November, no sign of that altering [yet].
Hospitalisations fell through most of November, with a very slight rise on the last two days.

Deaths and Hospitalisations are a fraction of what they were last January, and also much lower than 12 months ago (and not rising alarmingly as they were then).

Case counts are about the same as 12 months ago and lower than their Jan 2021 peak.
Since mid July they have loosely hovered around the same level, higher some weeks, lower others.
Cases counts alone are not really a major problem (just a weapon for the fear mongers) the majority just shake it off.

The concern would be if serious infections and deaths started to shoot up, there is no indication of that atm.

DDDD 06-12-2021 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36104559)
put a tin foil hat on, it will all make sense

Its the original publication from nature .

Tin foil hats not needed , but religion is if you believe in something based on faith . Just read the publication , if you don't understand something you can always ask.

OLD BOY 06-12-2021 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36104566)
Deaths have been in decline since the start of November, no sign of that altering [yet].
Hospitalisations fell through most of November, with a very slight rise on the last two days.

Deaths and Hospitalisations are a fraction of what they were last January, and also much lower than 12 months ago (and not rising alarmingly as they were then).

Case counts are about the same as 12 months ago and lower than their Jan 2021 peak.
Since mid July they have loosely hovered around the same level, higher some weeks, lower others.
Cases counts alone are not really a major problem (just a weapon for the fear mongers) the majority just shake it off.

The concern would be if serious infections and deaths started to shoot up, there is no indication of that atm.

That just about sums it up, Paul.

DDDD 06-12-2021 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36104560)
At a guess - Covid was invented in a China lab, put into bats that have propensity for SARS-like coronavirus and the bats released into the wild. They were caught and put into the Wuhan wet market .....

Or summat!

Pretty much the opposite , they took some lung fluid , aligned it to a predetermined template bat coronavirus using software called megahit . If you do this with non infected people you will get the same result .

The article debunks itself because with a stricter assembler they didn't find the longer sequences because it didn't exist. Its in the paper

They can claim high abundance in humans to a pig or a banana .

People actually believe they found a spiked protein structure in humans and then sequenced its rna and this is what's found in 'infected people'

Even these claims are not made in the papers .

PCR tests for a fragment of this nucleic acid sequence , not a virus . They also don't check the results of what was amplified in PCR , most people know after 25 cycles it starts creating all sorts of sequences that were not present in the original sample , go to court with forensics and it would be thrown out at more than 12 cycles .

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36104563)
What it really said

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

My wife and I had it as a booster.

methods section , not the claims section .

Its claims 89% similarity , we are 98% similar to a pig , this ain't similar at all .

jfman 07-12-2021 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36104566)

Cases (by specimen date) are only falling in the last week because that’s what always happens due to processing time, cases by date reported are up almost 10% in the last week vs the previous 7 days.

Even then by specimen date 29 Nov-1 Dec had more cases than any date since mid-July. If there’s something underlying driving that rise it won’t take many 10% weekly rises to push hospitalisations into a bad place and deaths follow.

Chris 07-12-2021 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36104558)

“Covid deniers live in a basement and have difficulty processing events in the real world”.

Or thereabouts.

jonbxx 07-12-2021 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDDD (Post 36104571)
Pretty much the opposite , they took some lung fluid , aligned it to a predetermined template bat coronavirus using software called megahit . If you do this with non infected people you will get the same result .

The article debunks itself because with a stricter assembler they didn't find the longer sequences because it didn't exist. Its in the paper

They can claim high abundance in humans to a pig or a banana .

People actually believe they found a spiked protein structure in humans and then sequenced its rna and this is what's found in 'infected people'

Even these claims are not made in the papers .

PCR tests for a fragment of this nucleic acid sequence , not a virus . They also don't check the results of what was amplified in PCR , most people know after 25 cycles it starts creating all sorts of sequences that were not present in the original sample , go to court with forensics and it would be thrown out at more than 12 cycles .

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

methods section , not the claims section .

Its claims 89% similarity , we are 98% similar to a pig , this ain't similar at all .

This piqued my curiosity so I pulled the SARS-Cov-2 genome (link) from a genome database and crunched it through some software to see if it aligned with human sequences (BlastN search, a standard search tool for aligning genomes) At first, a got many hits but they were all SARS-COV-2 which at least shows the tool works! I filtered on human DNA and RNA and got, wait for it......

No significant hits

If these guys are pulling genome sequences from lung fluid, it aint human genomic RNA or mRNA.

RT-PCR testing is cycle dependent, that's why quantitative RT-PCR is used so you can see how many cycles are needed to get a signal. It's also why multiple targets are used to compensate for any issues with incorrect results. It's also why negative controls are used for every test plate. RT-PCR isn't perfect but if you have the right controls in place, it is pretty robust

Hugh 07-12-2021 10:08

You’re only saying that because you’re trying to "control*" us… ;)

*because you can

1andrew1 07-12-2021 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36104601)
You’re only saying that because you’re trying to "control*" us… ;)

*because you can

Ha ha. :D

jfman 07-12-2021 11:28

Do the same for RaTG13 ;)

jonbxx 07-12-2021 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104607)
Do the same for RaTG13 ;)

In a shocking development, there is a 93% identity between SARS-COV-2 and RaTG13 (bat coronavirus) spike proteins. Who would have thought eh?

Carth 07-12-2021 13:27

Bloody hell, can all you scientific lot slow down for those of us that are thick please ;)

Is SARS-COV-2 just a different name for Covid 19? I'm getting lost and a little uninterested in all these fancy acronyms etc :D

Is there a 'clever' name for Flu and pneumonia?

Julian 07-12-2021 13:32

Apparently the one for a cold is A715H00.....

Chris 07-12-2021 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36104618)
Bloody hell, can all you scientific lot slow down for those of us that are thick please ;)

Is SARS-COV-2 just a different name for Covid 19? I'm getting lost and a little uninterested in all these fancy acronyms etc :D

Is there a 'clever' name for Flu and pneumonia?

Covid-19 is the name of the disease caused by a coronavirus called SARS-COV-2.

Flu is influenza, which is the name of both the disease and a family of viruses that can cause it.

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the alveoli within the lungs, and can be caused by any number of things getting in them that shouldn’t be there.

1andrew1 07-12-2021 13:50

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting Twitter chat between Andrew Neil and Julia Hartley-Brewer. He's coming across in a statesmanlike manner.