Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Police to get tough on internet trolls. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703445)

RichardCoulter 21-10-2018 03:07

Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

A gagging clause prevents me.

I do agree that the publicity over Mansize Tissues won't have done KC any harm.

Russ 21-10-2018 04:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35967263)
A gagging clause prevents me.

Yes, I'm totes sure that really happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35967263)
I do agree that the publicity over Mansize Tissues won't have done KC any harm.

And finally you get there.

RichardCoulter 21-10-2018 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35967265)
Yes, I'm totes sure that really happened.

And finally you get there.

And there was me thinking that you were now able to have a proper conversation without resorting to rudeness, sarcasm and sanctimony. You do realise that people are now able to put you on ignore dont you?

Hom3r 21-10-2018 18:13

I doubt it.

They can't stop people using mobiles while driving or hogging the middle lane.

Russ 21-10-2018 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35967310)
And there was me thinking that you were now able to have a proper conversation without resorting to rudeness, sarcasm and sanctimony. You do realise that people are now able to put you on ignore dont you?

;)

denphone 21-10-2018 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35967315)
I doubt it.

They can't stop people using mobiles while driving or hogging the middle lane.

The authorities pay lip service to it as usual.

Mr K 21-10-2018 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967319)
The authorities pay lip service to it as usual.

It might also be something to do with the 20,000 cut in police officers since 2010. They just don't have the resources, but it's what we keep voting for....

denphone 21-10-2018 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35967323)
It might also be something to do with the 20,000 cut in police officers since 2010. They just don't have the resources, but it's what we keep voting for....

l don't disagree with that either Mr K as you rarely see any Police on the roads nowadays.

Carth 21-10-2018 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967326)
l don't disagree with that either Mr K as you rarely see any Police on the roads nowadays.

simply throw a ciggy or sweet wrapper out of the car window, you'll see loads then ;)

OLD BOY 22-10-2018 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967326)

That's funny, because that's the only place I see them now, in their cars waiting to catch speeding motorists. It's far more fun than catching burglars and dealing with the real crimes that people are worried about.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35967364)
simply throw a ciggy or sweet wrapper out of the car window, you'll see loads then ;)

Exactly!:D

Mr K 22-10-2018 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35967401)
That's funny, because that's the only place I see them now, in their cars waiting to catch speeding motorists. It's far more fun than catching burglars and dealing with the real crimes that people are worried about.

Sounds like the last 2 posters have had traffic tickets ! ;)

Speeding motorists kill, internet trolls are an irritating nuisance that can be ignored. As the police have less resources than ever before, they have to prioritise.

denphone 22-10-2018 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35967401)

Well you might see them but they are pretty non existent on the roads where we travel.

OLD BOY 22-10-2018 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967424)
Well you might see them but they are pretty non existent on the roads where we travel.

Are they perhaps hiding in hedges with their cameras i your part of the world, Den? :D

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35967415)

Speeding motorists kill, internet trolls are an irritating nuisance that can be ignored. As the police have less resources than ever before, they have to prioritise.

Wrong again, Mr K, I keep to the speed limits.

The issue aboit speeding motorists is well overblown. The vast majority of motorists know that they have exceeded the speed limit at on time or another. The vast majority of them do not kill, as you seem to suggest.

The Chief Constable who is suggesting that motorists should be prosecuted for travelling 31 mph in a 30 mph limited area shows just how out of proportion this issue has become with the police.

That we should have sensible measures to punish reckless driving and hate messages on the internet is not disputed. But we do have to be proportionate, given limited resources.

RichardCoulter 22-10-2018 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35967415)

Online harrassment can also lead to loss of life too. Some people have been driven to or encouraged to commit suicide. This is often young people and those with mental health illnesses/disabilities or learning difficulties.

Chris 23-10-2018 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35967454)
Online harrassment can also lead to loss of life too. Some people have been driven to or encouraged to commit suicide. This is often young people and those with mental health illnesses/disabilities or learning difficulties.

There are almost 20,000 casualties on our roads every year, where excessive speed was a contributing factor. Around 400 of them are fatal. Without minimising the hurt online abuse causes to those who suffer it, it is nevertheless fair to say that online trolling is a minuscule problem compared to road safety and policing resources should obviously be deployed accordingly.