Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VM Business : Any business customers in new Malden having issues? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708833)

fizzyade 20-03-2020 17:12

Re: Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali195 (Post 36028145)
Second tech came onsite just now. Top man, we figured out that some of the static IP's are no good:

**VMB have a master ticket open for HALF of client static IP's being highly throttled due to high utilisation**

Cycle through them on your own equipment until you get a good one. 3 of my 5 are no good. Luckily I only need 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali195 (Post 36028173)
I'd really like to get some stats like that, any recommendation for a windows based app? Also what IP/address are you targeting? The 'network ip', first IP on the block you were given?

I wrote that software buddy. It runs on Mac, Windows and Linux and will be open source (GPLv3). I've been developing it for just over a month, I've been ill for the last 2 weeks (had covid symptoms but thankfully tested negative) so development stopped, but I've just started up again and trying to get to a position of a first release.

Currently this is targetting 1.1.1.1, but that's just because I haven't added the actual interface to create a new target. It's been written as an extensible piece of software, it uses plugins for everything, this means that the ping engine can be replaced with a different one, other functions can be added to the software and so forth.

fizzyade 20-03-2020 21:37

I just got an emergency work notification for sunday between midnight and 6am. Anybody else get it?

ccarmock 20-03-2020 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36028230)
I just got an emergency work notification for sunday between midnight and 6am. Anybody else get it?

Yes I got this:-

Date of Issue 20/03/2020
Planned Work Ref C01110305
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 22/03/2020 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 22/03/2020 06:01
Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.
The service outage should only last for 5 minutes but additional instability for up to 2 hours could be seen, however a 6 hour time frame has been given in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

This is urgent work that needs to take place on our Network

fizzyade 20-03-2020 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 36028236)
Yes I got this:-

Date of Issue 20/03/2020
Planned Work Ref C01110305
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 22/03/2020 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 22/03/2020 06:01
Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.
The service outage should only last for 5 minutes but additional instability for up to 2 hours could be seen, however a 6 hour time frame has been given in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

This is urgent work that needs to take place on our Network

I really wish they'd give a clue as to what they're doing, although I guess that may be commercially sensitive. I wonder if this is anything to do with the static ip problem.

ccarmock 20-03-2020 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36028237)
I really wish they'd give a clue as to what they're doing, although I guess that may be commercially sensitive. I wonder if this is anything to do with the static ip problem.

They sometimes do go into a bit more detail in these notices.. but this time nothing!

fizzyade 20-03-2020 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 36028239)
They sometimes do go into a bit more detail in these notices.. but this time nothing!

Maybe they're upgrading us all to 1Gbit in these trying times! lol

ccarmock 23-03-2020 14:27

I didn't record any outage last night, despite being told there would be, and while marginally improved today - on Friday it's still not working well.

On Friday about 4 Mb/s on a 500 Mb/s business service, today around 15 Mb/s, possibly due to local congestion I guess

fizzyade 23-03-2020 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 36028526)
I didn't record any outage last night, despite being told there would be, and while marginally improved today - on Friday it's still not working well.

On Friday about 4 Mb/s on a 500 Mb/s business service, today around 15 Mb/s, possibly due to local congestion I guess

I had issues, but switched to a different IP on my range and I’m getting 350 odd and 30 up. On the previous IP it was the kind of speeds you are reporting.

I also didn’t see any outages or downtime.

fizzyade 27-03-2020 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali195 (Post 36028173)
I'd really like to get some stats like that, any recommendation for a windows based app? Also what IP/address are you targeting? The 'network ip', first IP on the block you were given?

I pushed the source code here:

https://github.com/fizzyade/pingnoo

It's still a work in progress, currently it only pings 1.1.1.1, it's only a small bit of work to finish this bit up though and it's next on my list of things to do.