Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2023) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711604)

fox35 05-01-2023 09:24

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2023)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36143150)
its very odd isn't it? Content is king. Virgin Media without owning any tv content themselves are in a bit of a pickle potentially. People can realistically just have freeview, Netflix, amazon prime for delivery and now tv for sky sports.

what can virgin media offer? 700 live channels very few watch?

Streaming companies need reliable income streams. Virgin Media need to make deals with them.

This.

Inactive Digital 05-01-2023 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36143150)
its very odd isn't it? Content is king. Virgin Media without owning any tv content themselves are in a bit of a pickle potentially. People can realistically just have freeview, Netflix, amazon prime for delivery and now tv for sky sports.

what can virgin media offer? 700 live channels very few watch?

Streaming companies need reliable income streams. Virgin Media need to make deals with them.

Virgin's business plan isn't to be the king of TV. Since before Liberty Global bought the company, the focus has been on broadband. But by providing TV alongside that, Virgin can also target consumers looking to bundle their services. The recent launch of Stream is another way of trying to protect their broadband customer base from exactly what you describe by aggregating content into one box and letting customers decide what and when they want to subscribe to, rather than have them switch to Now for their broadband and Sky Sports for example. Virgin has deals with the big streamers in place and more will hopefully follow but for Virgin the main aim is to be the broadband service that people use to stream content.

Tricky Trevor 05-01-2023 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36143057)
lets see what 2023 brings i have given up on getting sky sports UHD

Ive been thinking exacly the same Dave. It was only promised almost 4 years ago.

RichardCoulter 05-01-2023 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36143151)
Best thing i did was cut the cord, quite happy with my humax aura and nvidia shield although my isp do provide netgem tv at no extra cost as part of my broadband package.

What's Netgem TV like? Never heard of them.

Legendkiller2k 05-01-2023 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143173)
What's Netgem TV like? Never heard of them.

It ain't worth the £15 they charge imo as most of the channels are available via plex live tv anyway but you do get viaplay sport https://www.netgem.co.uk/

RichardCoulter 05-01-2023 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36143187)
It ain't worth the £15 they charge imo as most of the channels are available via plex live tv anyway but you do get viaplay sport https://www.netgem.co.uk/

Thanks- I didn't know that there was a charge, I had assumed it was a freebie with your broadband in a similar way to the free channels given to virgin broadband customers!

Legendkiller2k 06-01-2023 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143193)
Thanks- I didn't know that there was a charge, I had assumed it was a freebie with your broadband in a similar way to the free channels given to virgin broadband customers!

You're technically paying for the viasport channels tbf, there are loads of niche channels on it but as i said most can be found on plex or rlaxx apps.
We do however enjoy wedo movies and thrillertv on it.
Also worth noting the netgem 4k box only has one tuner and you can only record via usb.
Also quite a few key apps are missing aka Netflix, nowtv most notable.
We have the humax aura too that box is a great box but is missing netflix and nowtv.
Netflix and now we watch via the shield anyway.

SonicMaster 06-01-2023 10:26

Virgin Media adds 80 fitness classes to TV service at no extra cost

Content from Nuffield Health, Fiit and Fit at Home is now available to Virgin Media TV customers, at no extra cost, so they can keep fit from the comfort of their own home

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...no-extra-cost/

vincerooney 08-01-2023 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36143251)
Virgin Media adds 80 fitness classes to TV service at no extra cost

Content from Nuffield Health, Fiit and Fit at Home is now available to Virgin Media TV customers, at no extra cost, so they can keep fit from the comfort of their own home

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...no-extra-cost/

....don't want haha. Anything else please Virgin media....

JMcB 08-01-2023 19:05

Any word on 4k/UHD channels coming. I know BBC iPlayer is still running the UHD in the settings options and that VM have a part time channel.

Media Boy UK 08-01-2023 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcB (Post 36143369)
Any word on 4k/UHD channels coming. I know BBC iPlayer is still running the UHD in the settings options and that VM have a part time channel.

No word.

I wish Virgin would get off their backside and launch more channels. I'm starting to think Virgin don't know the UK have more broadcasters than the big 7 (The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Paramount. Warner Bros Discovery, UKTV and Sky.).

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I am starting to watch That's Media Ltd own channels more over the last few months via Freeview.

cheekyangus 08-01-2023 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36143371)
No word.

I wish Virgin would get off their backside and launch more channels. I'm starting to think Virgin don't know the UK have more broadcasters than the big 7 (The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Paramount. Warner Bros Discovery, UKTV and Sky.).

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

I am starting to watch That's Media Ltd own channels more over the last few months via Freeview.

You mean listen...the picture quality is bloomin' appalling on their channels, both on DTT and Satellite. :D

1andrew1 09-01-2023 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36143193)

Grass is not always greener!

Aguero9320 09-01-2023 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36143373)
You mean listen...the picture quality is bloomin' appalling on their channels, both on DTT and Satellite. :D

Agreed. I’ve got Sky Q and can confirm most channels outside Sky, PSBs and the US giants have awful audio and picture quality.

ozsat 10-01-2023 11:36

Yes - Talking Pictures is an example of this.
Terrible on Sky but noticably better picture on Freeview and Virgin.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36143408)
Agreed. I’ve got Sky Q and can confirm most channels outside Sky, PSBs and the US giants have awful audio and picture quality.