Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Copying DVDs (NON COPYRIGHT) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711471)

SnoopZ 15-11-2022 09:51

Re: Copying DVDs (NON COPYRIGHT)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36139984)
I will put forward my idea to back the data up to something other than a DVD once again as DVDs degrade over time. They could last a lifetime or they could last a couple of years. Everything important to me is backed up to hard disk locally and in the cloud twice at least. I do not think Google and Microsoft are going anywhere for a long time

Absolutely I couldn't agree more, back up in more than 1 location so dvds, hdd, flash drives and the cloud.

tweetiepooh 15-11-2022 11:01

Good instructions here on imaging DVD/CDROM.

This command will create an image file of the disk you can save away or copy back to another disc.

prompt@shell$ dd if=/dev/dvd of=/path/to/dvdcopy.iso

Corey N Georgie 18-11-2022 01:03

Not only did I back to DVD I also backed to an external Hard Disk.

SnoopZ 18-11-2022 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie (Post 36140287)
Not only did I back to DVD I also backed to an external Hard Disk.

Consider a flash drive too seeing they're mega cheap especially if Black Friday deals are good, and maybe cloud backup?

Itshim 19-11-2022 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36139984)
I will put forward my idea to back the data up to something other than a DVD once again as DVDs degrade over time. They could last a lifetime or they could last a couple of years. Everything important to me is backed up to hard disk locally and in the cloud twice at least. I do not think Google and Microsoft are going anywhere for a long time

What's wrong with a memory stick ?

Jaymoss 19-11-2022 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36140417)

you can lose it, it can become corrupted it can be broken

Paul 19-11-2022 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36140417)

Nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36140418)

So can any hard disk.
Data in the cloud can also get corrupted or even lost.

The best thing you can do with important data is have backup redundancy, i.e. multiple backups.

Save it to a memory stick, and the cloud.
My most important data is backed up in multiple places.

Jaymoss 19-11-2022 19:13

I only really have a few docs I need to keep long term, and only really photos of which there are about 12 gig
I have both locally on my machine and on spinning hard disks put away
I have paid for onedrive with office 365 with docs photos system images software and all sorts on and a separate account unpaid onedrive with photos on alone
I also have various google drive accounts one "username"saves@gmail.com and "username"photos@gmail.com I also have a 100GB paid Google One account (£1.59)with photos and docs on. I also have all my photos on Amazon.
I think I am covered.

Itshim 21-11-2022 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36140418)

Would have thought that could happen to almost anything. Even if at one time cd/dvds were pushed as unbreakable!

Jaymoss 21-11-2022 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36140546)
Would have thought that could happen to almost anything. Even if at one time cd/dvds were pushed as unbreakable!

I did not mention USB sticks till you asked me what is wrong with them so I replied with the things that can happen. Please feel free to read my other replies to this thread to see what I actually do to back up

Paul 21-11-2022 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36140546)
Even if at one time cd/dvds were pushed as unbreakable!

Pretty sure they have never been considered unbreakable, that would just be a silly promise.
They are less breakable, and somewhat scratch resistant, but most certainly not indestructable.

I've never seen that being made as a 'selling point'.

JFYI, writable CD's/DVD's have a shelf life as well, usually from 25 - 200 years at most.

Itshim 22-11-2022 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36140552)
Pretty sure they have never been considered unbreakable, that would just be a silly promise.
They are less breakable, and somewhat scratch resistant, but most certainly not indestructable.

I've never seen that being made as a 'selling point'.

JFYI, writable CD's/DVD's have a shelf life as well, usually from 25 - 200 years at most.

Pretty sure I a remember seeing when first launched you could use them a place mats for hot drinks as you couldn't damage them !

daveeb 22-11-2022 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36140612)
Pretty sure I a remember seeing when first launched you could use them a place mats for hot drinks as you couldn't damage them !

I seem to remember it was Tomorrows World that was portraying them in that way.

Paul 22-11-2022 20:12

Yes you could, thats scratch resistance, not unbreakable. ;)