Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised' (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703838)

OLD BOY 04-05-2018 23:07

Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35945861)
I'm not questioning that breaking the law means you may get punished but that the law is punishing them for their faith. In this case they were not making a statement against the customer (I hate you) but refusing to support a statement made by the customer (support gay marriage) and there is a key difference here.

They are not being punished for their 'faith'. They are being punished for breaking the law.

nomadking 05-05-2018 06:23

If selected branches of Subway, KFC, Nandos, and others can (illegally) select Halal only, thereby rejecting bacon, pork and other haram or non-halal meats based upon their faith, then these bakers can be selective about any messages on the cakes.

It could just as easily have been a heterosexual customer who ordered the cake with that message, or a different message that the bakers also didn't approve of.

Damien 05-05-2018 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35945929)
If selected branches of Subway, KFC, Nandos, and others can (illegally) select Halal only, thereby rejecting bacon, pork and other haram or non-halal meats based upon their faith, then these bakers can be selective about any messages on the cakes.

Not really the same thing. You can choose what you stock but if you offer a service you cannot choose not to offer it to someone based on their religion. I agree it's a different case if you're being compelled to write a message but then if that's what you offer then in this case the court found it counted.

If they sold pre-made cakes which didn't have this message then they would not be breaking the law.

Incidentally calling something illegal doesn't make it illegal. Which is why Subway, KFC, Nandos and others are not in trouble.

nomadking 05-05-2018 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35945933)
Not really the same thing. You can choose what you stock but if you offer a service you cannot choose not to offer it to someone based on their religion. I agree it's a different case if you're being compelled to write a message but then if that's what you offer then in this case the court found it counted.

If they sold pre-made cakes which didn't have this message then they would not be breaking the law.

Incidentally calling something illegal doesn't make it illegal. Which is why Subway, KFC, Nandos and others are not in trouble.

You can't choose to buy from a supplier based on their faith, yet that is what the halal only outlets are doing.
Quote:

Requirements to slaughter for halal meat
You must be a Muslim to slaughter animals for halal meat.
They refuse to buy from a non-Muslim source, not that they would anyway.

The LAW DOES SAY that the sourcing is illegal.
Just because something is illegal, doesn't meant prosecutions will take place. Especially for those from a "protected group"(it's an official term used in legal references).
Quote:

Laws not applied
However, Animal Aid said it had discovered a "remarkable weakness in the application of the law", with the regulatory body, the Food Standards Agency, acknowledging to Animal Aid that any slaughterhouse "can practise non-stun slaughter without demonstrating that the meat is destined for religious communities.
What about others?
Quote:

Clearer labelling would also help Britain's Sikhs, who cannot eat halal or kosher meat.
They can only eat meat that isn't halal and isn't kosher.

Damien 05-05-2018 09:09

Well they’re just buying Halal from the only supplier of it....

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

As for the slaughter houses then thy might be breaking the law in which case I don’t have a problem with them being investigated

nomadking 05-05-2018 09:19

If somebody buys product X for purpose Y, and the seller knows that using product X for purpose Y is illegal, then both the seller AND the buyer are complicit in breaking the law.

Eg If somebody sells Tobacco taxed in Poland(ie not UK taxed) to somebody and the seller knows it is going to be be sold on in the UK, both the seller and the buyer are breaking the law.

It can be legal to sell a replica gun, but if you know that the buyer is going to convert it to a viable firearm, then both the buyer and the seller are breaking the law.

Damien 05-05-2018 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35945947)
If somebody buys product X for purpose Y, and the seller knows that using product X for purpose Y is illegal, then both the seller AND the buyer are complicit in breaking the law.

Eg If somebody sells Tobacco taxed in Poland(ie not UK taxed) to somebody and the seller knows it is going to be be sold on in the UK, both the seller and the buyer are breaking the law.

It can be legal to sell a replica gun, but if you know that the buyer is going to convert it to a viable firearm, then both the buyer and the seller are breaking the law.

Yes but as we have already discussed you haven't provided the law which makes it illegal to sell Halal meat to non-Muslim customers. The law provided so far only says it should be made with the intent to supply it to Muslims but nothing about it being exclusively for Muslims.

Nandos can buy Halal meat with the intent of selling it in areas with a high Muslim population and serve non-Muslims in those restaurants without breaking the law.

nomadking 05-05-2018 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35945954)
Yes but as we have already discussed you haven't provided the law which makes it illegal to sell Halal meat to non-Muslim customers. The law provided so far only says it should be made with the intent to supply it to Muslims but nothing about it being exclusively for Muslims.

Nandos can buy Halal meat with the intent of selling it in areas with a high Muslim population and serve non-Muslims in those restaurants without breaking the law.

1) They ARE NOT serving residential areas. Eg Subway is used by shoppers, workers, but NOT residents. Just look at the locations. 2) Even in a high Muslim residential area, The proportion of that Muslim population buying there will be very low. 3) They are Halal because of the faith of the franchisee, NOT who the customers are.

EU report.
Quote:

In Ireland, with 1% of consumers Muslim, 6% of cattle and 34% of sheep were killed without stunning, and
In France 40% of calves, 25% of bovines (cattle) and 54% of ovines (sheep etc.) were killed without stunning according to a survey done in 2006-07.
Quote:

Germany gives no-stunning permissions to abattoirs, but only if they show they have local religious customers for the request. Very few are in fact given.
Quote:

Production volumes of Halal and Kosher meat indicate that much is sold to the general public, who are not able to see the slaughter method used in its production as there are no labelling laws.
Quote:

Jews and Muslims combined represent about 3% of the UK population. Though the Muslim population is rising somewhat, Halal meat supply has gone from an 11% share of meat sales in 2001 to an estimated 25% in 2008, according to the Halal Food Authority, a certification body. Farmers Weekly, a magazine for farmers, reported in 2010 that 40% of poultry and 25-30% of lamb consumed meets Halal specifications.

RichardCoulter 05-05-2018 13:44

Never knew that about Subway!

There is actually a Muslim organisation that goes round checking that Muslim traders sell halal meat. In takeaways advertised meat on pizzas is substituted for different types of meat that can be obtained the halal way, which has caused conflict with Trading Standards.

In addition, some halal traders have had action taken against them by animal rights activists.

Paul 10-10-2018 18:07

The couple won their appeal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45789759

OLD BOY 10-10-2018 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35966033)

Political correctness successfully challenged at last, I guess.

However, that doesn't change my view that the owners deserved to be taken to court. What a fuss!

Chris 10-10-2018 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966037)
Political correctness successfully challenged at last, I guess.

However, that doesn't change my view that the owners deserved to be taken to court. What a fuss!

Why did they deserve to be taken to court? They refused to act against their conscience by refusing to provide one very specific service that they would have refused anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation. The law, as enacted, does not make that a crime. It really ought to have been obvious from the start that no crime had been committed here and it’s shocking that this has had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to establish what the letter and spirit of the law is here.

What has in fact been revealed is a willingness not just on the part of State-funded bodies like the equalities commission, but also within the judiciary, to a fairly senior level, to elevate equalities above conscience. We were perilously close to allowing a precedent that created a thought-crime, which of course was precisely the aim of the activists behind the case and within the EQ that used public money to fund it.

Need I add that recent history shows you don’t have to have a religious faith to fall victim to those who try to use law to force issues of conscience and belief.

OLD BOY 10-10-2018 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35966046)
Why did they deserve to be taken to court? They refused to act against their conscience by refusing to provide one very specific service that they would have refused anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation. The law, as enacted, does not make that a crime. It really ought to have been obvious from the start that no crime had been committed here and it’s shocking that this has had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to establish what the letter and spirit of the law is here.

What has in fact been revealed is a willingness not just on the part of State-funded bodies like the equalities commission, but also within the judiciary, to a fairly senior level, to elevate equalities above conscience. We were perilously close to allowing a precedent that created a thought-crime, which of course was precisely the aim of the activists behind the case and within the EQ that used public money to fund it.

Need I add that recent history shows you don’t have to have a religious faith to fall victim to those who try to use law to force issues of conscience and belief.

My view is simply that they are running a business, and to refuse their customers on 'a point of principle', whether religious or otherwise, is unacceptable.

I have no sympathy for the owners of the business, but I am also completely fed up with political correctness, so I have mixed feelings about this.

Chris 10-10-2018 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966049)
My view is simply that they are running a business, and to refuse their customers on 'a point of principle', whether religious or otherwise, is unacceptable.

I have no sympathy for the owners of the business, but I am also completely fed up with political correctness, so I have mixed feelings about this.

OK, so on points of principle, were the theatre venues who cancelled Dwarf Wrestling events wrong to do so? What about venues that cancelled Roy ‘chubby’ Brown because they decided his humour didn’t accord with their values?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45485344

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/l...n-gig-12431123

nomadking 10-10-2018 19:14

Quote:

Supreme Court Lady Hale ruled that the bakers did not refuse to fulfil the order because of his sexual orientation. "They would have refused to make such a cake for any customer, irrespective of their sexual orientation," she said.
"Their objection was to the message on the cake, not to the personal characteristics of Mr Lee."
She added: "Accordingly, this court holds that there was no discrimination on the ground of the sexual orientation of Mr Lee."
Seeing as that has been blindingly obvious all long(as I pointed out in post #8 from nearly 2 years ago), you have to wonder about the bias in previous rulings on the matter.

richard s 10-10-2018 19:33

What the bakers probably should have said to the customer is... Sorry we do not want your business and no explanation given. If you own a business you can refuse any customer/client without giving an explanation.

nomadking 10-10-2018 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35966054)
What the bakers probably should have said to the customer is... Sorry we do not want your business and no explanation given. If you own a business you can refuse any customer/client without giving an explanation.

Quote:

His order was initially accepted at a branch of Ashers in Belfast city centre, but two days later the baking firm's head office contacted Mr Lee to say the firm would not make the cake.

As he arrived outside the Supreme Court for the start of the case in May, Mr McArthur said: "We didn't say no because of the customer; we'd served him before, we'd serve him again.

Paul 10-10-2018 20:24

Quote:

You dont think that someone running a business has the right to decide if they want to refuse a customer ? I hope you are joking. :erm:

Pierre 10-10-2018 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35966033)

Common sense prevailed.

pip08456 10-10-2018 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35966058)
Common sense prevailed.

As it should.

Hugh 10-10-2018 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35966057)
You dont think that someone running a business has the right to decide if they want to refuse a customer ? I hope you are joking. :erm:

Depends...

If they had said "i'm not serving your because you are black/gay/muslim/female (put in protected characteristic)", yes, then they should have been prosecuted, as that would have been blatant discrimination.

Pierre 10-10-2018 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35966061)
Depends...

If they had said "i'm not serving your because you are black/gay/muslim/female (put in protected characteristic)", yes, then they should have been prosecuted, as that would have been blatant discrimination.

They didn’t what’s your point?

1andrew1 10-10-2018 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35966064)
They didn’t what’s your point?

Hugh's point is that people running a business don't have the right to not serve people if the grounds they cite are protected characteristics. Hught was arguing against a general post from Paul who suggested that business owners have the right not to serve someone, not the specifics of this particular case.

Gavin78 11-10-2018 01:07

Maybe someone has mentioned this already in the thread but what is the difference with this compared to shops selling halal meat or not or some shops in certain areas not sell pork products due to religion in the area?

Seems a bit one sided to me

OLD BOY 11-10-2018 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35966052)
OK, so on points of principle, were the theatre venues who cancelled Dwarf Wrestling events wrong to do so? What about venues that cancelled Roy ‘chubby’ Brown because they decided his humour didn’t accord with their values?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45485344

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/l...n-gig-12431123

Yes. Wrong on both counts. Give customers what they want, within the law.

Sephiroth 11-10-2018 07:25

Quote:

The customer offers to buy a cake and provides a specification. The supplier doe not accept the offer on a basis other than that caught by hate crime/similar legislation. In these circumstances, the law of contract applies and the business is within its right to refuse the customer's offer.

Does that help ease your internal conflict?

OLD BOY 11-10-2018 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35966075)
The customer offers to buy a cake and provides a specification. The supplier doe not accept the offer on a basis other than that caught by hate crime/similar legislation. In these circumstances, the law of contract applies and the business is within its right to refuse the customer's offer.

Does that help ease your internal conflict?

Or, put another way, the seller offers to provide a service, such as making cakes to order, which the customer accepts.

If a supermarket offers goods for sale at a reduced price by mistake, it is bound to sell it to the customer for the advertised price nonetheless.

Mr K 11-10-2018 07:55

Depends what type of cake it is. Love a fruit cake, not so keen on sponge. The icing/decoration is irrelevant.

Maggy 11-10-2018 08:36

Well seems to me it's a poor business practice to turn away customers for irrational or religious reasons..plus it could lead to losing future potential customers.

Angua 11-10-2018 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35966081)
Well seems to me it's a poor business practice to turn away customers for irrational or religious reasons..plus it could lead to losing future potential customers.

If they tried this in London they would soon be out of business, sadly in NI sectarianism and prejudice are still far too prevalent, so they will gain business simply because they claim they are 'christian'.

Sad how various religious writings are used to shore up and excuse prejudice.

denphone 11-10-2018 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35966081)

l could not agree more.

Stuart 11-10-2018 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966077)
If a supermarket offers goods for sale at a reduced price by mistake, it is bound to sell it to the customer for the advertised price nonetheless.

I believe they can still refuse to sell it, but if they choose to sell it, it has to be at the reduced price.

Maybe it's different in person, but I know a few years ago, Tesco advertised some items online for a fraction of what they actually cost and rather than take the losses, they cancelled the orders.

Mythica 11-10-2018 12:49

Quote:

Or, put another way, the seller offers to provide a service, such as making cakes to order, which the customer accepts.

Not true. They can refuse to sell at the mistaken price.

1701-e 11-10-2018 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966082)
If they tried this in London they would soon be out of business, sadly in NI sectarianism and prejudice are still far too prevalent, so they will gain business simply because they claim they are 'christian'.

Sad how various religious writings are used to shore up and excuse prejudice.

Bang on!

Another point is that the order for the cake was accepted by the employee on the floor.

It was only when the bosses saw it that they refused.

noel43 11-10-2018 16:30

Quote:

Its his business he should be able to sell to who he wants to.

Angua 11-10-2018 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 35966099)
Bang on!

Another point is that the order for the cake was accepted by the employee on the floor.

It was only when the bosses saw it that they refused.

Yup, if the member of staff was trained to know what would be acceptable or not, the whole sorry affair would have never occurred.

Of the rights enshrined in the Human Rights act, the right to follow a religion should take least preference. After all, it is a choice to follow a particular religion and not an inherent part of who you are.

Sephiroth 11-10-2018 17:27

Quote:

[SEPH]: Yes - that's true. Either party can make an offer for the other to accept. That's contract law as I'm sure you know. In this case, the customer had a specific requirement - lettering on the cake; this was not on offer from the seller so the offer to buy came from the customer and the seller refused to sell.

If a supermarket offers goods for sale at a reduced price by mistake, it is bound to sell it to the customer for the advertised price nonetheless. [SEPH]: That is wrong. When the customer turns up at the till, and the correct price shows up, the item is still the property of the supermarket and the customer has the option of buying at the correct price. I'm surprised that you didn't know that.

Russ 11-10-2018 17:51

Quote:

It absolutely is not.

OLD BOY 11-10-2018 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35966121)
It absolutely is not.

I could have put that better. I agree that it is only if the product is sold, it should be at the price advertised.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 35966106)
Its his business he should be able to sell to who he wants to.

...And lose the goodwill (and sales) to a whole section of the community.

I certainly wouldn't go there with such an opinionated person running the shop. He deserves to go bust.

There is this old saying about the customer always being right.

Unless you happen to be a religious zealot, no doubt!:D

Russ 11-10-2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966135)
...And lose the goodwill (and sales) to a whole section of the community.

Depends on how many of that 'community' use the shop. I suspect few if any so I can't see the bakers being too bothered.

At the end of the day they stood up for what they believe in and should be commended. They have nothing against the customer, only what he was trying to say.

richard s 11-10-2018 19:35

I agree 100%.

Sephiroth 11-10-2018 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966135)
I could have put that better. I agree that it is only if the product is sold, it should be at the price advertised.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

<SNIP>

You were very definite about what you originally said. Not a case of being able to "put it better".

To remind - you said:

1andrew1 11-10-2018 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35966096)
[/B]

Not true. They can refuse to sell at the mistaken price.

Spot on. Basic contract law. Legally, the buyer is offering to pay for the product. The shop accepts the offer and provides the good. If the potential buyer doesn't offer the required price, the shop can decline the customer's offer.

Chris 11-10-2018 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966108)
Yup, if the member of staff was trained to know what would be acceptable or not, the whole sorry affair would have never occurred.

Of the rights enshrined in the Human Rights act, the right to follow a religion should take least preference. After all, it is a choice to follow a particular religion and not an inherent part of who you are.

Of all the posts I’ve seen on this forum that thoroughly misunderstand religious faith, this is probably the most succinct.

Faith isn’t a simple matter of choice; for many people, especially those from minority communities, following a religion is very much part of their community, and therefore their personal identity - the deep connection between the two is frequently misunderstood by Westerners.

For those who “choose” a religion outside of their upbringing there is often profound change in their way of living caused by the emergence of deep personal convictions. To even attempt to make a hierarchy of rights as you’re trying to do doesn’t just misunderstand what faith is, it’s just a bit ... well, crass. Sorry.

Also please don’t forget that London isn’t a typical world city and Western European democracies aren’t typical of human community the world over. The idea that religion is a personal bolt-on to be afforded minimal regard is a peculiarly modern, Western idea with very little analog in the present or the past.

And ... finally ... also bear in mind that that well-known religious zealot, Peter Tatchell, has supported the Ashers’ case from the outset. As a human rights campaigner of many years experience he’s well aware that you can’t pick and choose who gets to exercise their conscience and who doesn’t. Societies that try to legislate for that do tend to get it horribly wrong.

Thankfully, in this case, the Supreme Court has ruled that this is not what we have legislated for and the Ashers - and everyone else - remain free to choose, whether to personally or via business, what political or social causes to endorse. You don’t have to like what they believe but you do have to respect their right to believe it.

Mick 11-10-2018 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966108)

Thankfully - the Supreme Court disagrees with you.

Angua 11-10-2018 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35966161)
Of all the posts I’ve seen on this forum that thoroughly misunderstand religious faith, this is probably the most succinct.

Faith isn’t a simple matter of choice; for many people, especially those from minority communities, following a religion is very much part of their community, and therefore their personal identity - the deep connection between the two is frequently misunderstood by Westerners.

For those who “choose” a religion outside of their upbringing there is often profound change in their way of living caused by the emergence of deep personal convictions. To even attempt to make a hierarchy of rights as you’re trying to do doesn’t just misunderstand what faith is, it’s just a bit ... well, crass. Sorry.

Also please don’t forget that London isn’t a typical world city and Western European democracies aren’t typical of human community the world over. The idea that religion is a personal bolt-on to be afforded minimal regard is a peculiarly modern, Western idea with very little analog in the present or the past.

And ... finally ... also bear in mind that that well-known religious zealot, Peter Tatchell, has supported the Ashers’ case from the outset. As a human rights campaigner of many years experience he’s well aware that you can’t pick and choose who gets to exercise their conscience and who doesn’t. Societies that try to legislate for that do tend to get it horribly wrong.

Thankfully, in this case, the Supreme Court has ruled that this is not what we have legislated for and the Ashers - and everyone else - remain free to choose, whether to personally or via business, what political or social causes to endorse. You don’t have to like what they believe but you do have to respect their right to believe it.

If people were prevented from following a particular religion, I would be up there protesting. Whilst that belief for some may be indoctrinated from birth and sincerely held, as an adult, there is always the choice to act as your humanity dictates rather than as a book dictates.

Chris 11-10-2018 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966165)
If people were prevented from following a particular religion, I would be up there protesting. Whilst that belief for some may be indoctrinated from birth and sincerely held, as an adult, there is always the choice to act as your humanity dictates rather than as a book dictates.

Again ... missing the point by a country mile. Humanity dictates vs. Book dictates is trite, and not a choice anyone with a deeply held, sincere faith would recognise. I don’t know whether you were brought up without a faith or whether you’ve rejected one somewhere along the way, but your understanding of faith appears to be based on casually-held parodies. If that’s the case it’s unsurprising that this judgment has surprised you - our law and our most senior judges still have a more rounded and dare I say mature understanding of how faith works in individuals and communities, hence the result the Ashers won this week (which, IMO, was never in doubt once the case reached the Supreme Court - the law simply doesn’t legislate against moral objections to political causes, no matter how worthy you think those causes are).

RichardCoulter 12-10-2018 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35966061)
Depends...

Few people who seek to discriminate against such groups would be so blatant, what usually happens is that it's done much more subtly.

In one of the cases that I won regarding a company discriminating against me on the grounds of my disability the judge considered not only what was said, but their tone, actions and a threat to refuse to continue to provide service to me because I had made a complaint about one particular member of staff whose behaviour was subsequently deemed to be harrassment.

Comparisons were also made to the way in which similar situations were dealt with compared to mine.

This is the case where the settlement enabled me to offer financial assistance to charities nominated by forum members.

Angua 12-10-2018 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35966169)
Again ... missing the point by a country mile. Humanity dictates vs. Book dictates is trite, and not a choice anyone with a deeply held, sincere faith would recognise. I don’t know whether you were brought up without a faith or whether you’ve rejected one somewhere along the way, but your understanding of faith appears to be based on casually-held parodies. If that’s the case it’s unsurprising that this judgment has surprised you - our law and our most senior judges still have a more rounded and dare I say mature understanding of how faith works in individuals and communities, hence the result the Ashers won this week (which, IMO, was never in doubt once the case reached the Supreme Court - the law simply doesn’t legislate against moral objections to political causes, no matter how worthy you think those causes are).

I just realised a long time ago there is no god.

However, I understand many people need that belief and the fellowship they get from religion. Having deeply and sincerely held views.

What I do not agree with, is the use of that religious belief to treat people differently or less favourably. Societal expectations are just as bad, with such as a caste system holding people unfairly as somehow lesser.

The idea that people who love one another should not be allowed to legally marry based on a book, or campaign to have that marriage accepted when it genuinely harms no one, I have great difficulty with.

The use of belief as reason to treat someone less favourably because of a political view, whilst agreed by the Supreme Court, also feels morally wrong.

In this case tit for tat has already started.

OLD BOY 12-10-2018 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35966150)
You were very definite about what you originally said. Not a case of being able to "put it better".

To remind - you said:

I know what I said, Seph, and I should have made it clear that this applies only if the item is actually sold. Hopefully, that clarifies my clarification.

:p:

Mick 12-10-2018 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966165)

I find your attitude towards people having faiths and sticking by them, totally disrespectful.

You go on about “humanity”, but totally throw that out of the window, during a humans first existence when they are in the womb, describing them previously as a “parasite”. What a cold hearted description of a humans becoming of life.

Also, it is by far irrelevant to apply the “humanity” element in this case, given the Supreme Courts ruling that, the Bakers refusal to bake the cake, was not discriminatory and that the Baker had a lawful right to refuse service.

Angua 12-10-2018 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35966175)
I find your attitude towards people having faiths and sticking by them, totally disrespectful.

You go on about “humanity”, but totally throw that out of the window, during a humans first existence when they are in the womb, describing them previously as a “parasite”. What a cold hearted description of a humans becoming of life.

Also, it is by far irrelevant to apply the “humanity” element in this case, given the Supreme Courts ruling that, the Bakers refusal to bake the cake, was not discriminatory and that the Baker had a lawful right to refuse service.

Ah so scientifically accurate terms are now verboten.

Mr K 12-10-2018 08:24

There must be some more important news than this this going on , surely ! The cake is now past its sell by date anyway ....

Maggy 12-10-2018 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35966179)
There must be some more important news than this this going on , surely ! The cake is now past its sell by date anyway ....

Ah you mean Strictly Come Dancing I presume?:D

However if CF members want to discuss this then this is the place to do it.;)

Mythica 12-10-2018 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966174)
I know what I said, Seph, and I should have made it clear that this applies only if the item is actually sold. Hopefully, that clarifies my clarification.

:p:

Depends on what you class as sold. For most online purchases, a contract is only formed once it has been dispatched. So if it hasn't been dispatched and you were charged the lower amount, the company can take that money back and not send the product. So sold in this instance doesn't mean money taken were in a shop it would.

Mick 12-10-2018 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966176)
Ah so scientifically accurate terms are now verboten.

Well ?

Where is the "Humanity", you speak of, in calling a Fetus a "Parasite" ?

In your case, "Humanity" exists, only when a suits. :rolleyes:

Mr K 12-10-2018 10:35

Talk about making a mountain out of a m̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶l̶l̶ cake ;)

Cable Forum 12-10-2018 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35966198)
Talk about making a mountain out of a m̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶l̶l̶ cake ;)

If you have nothing to add to the debate - stay the hell out of it.

Maggy gave you a kind hint earlier.

Now you are being told

Chris 12-10-2018 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966173)
I just realised a long time ago there is no god.

However, I understand many people need that belief and the fellowship they get from religion. Having deeply and sincerely held views.

What I do not agree with, is the use of that religious belief to treat people differently or less favourably. Societal expectations are just as bad, with such as a caste system holding people unfairly as somehow lesser.

The idea that people who love one another should not be allowed to legally marry based on a book, or campaign to have that marriage accepted when it genuinely harms no one, I have great difficulty with.

The use of belief as reason to treat someone less favourably because of a political view, whilst agreed by the Supreme Court, also feels morally wrong.

In this case tit for tat has already started.

I’m sure Tony Xu didn’t consider the publicity angle in any way shape or form before announcing to the papers that he was withholding the Ashers’ photos. :dozey: Unlike the Ashers themselves, who did not seek publicity for their actions.

I seriously doubt this is about to become a major social problem.

Also ... however much difficulty you have with people who disagree with same-sex marriage, you don’t have the right to force them to participate in its advocacy.

The price of that is that some people will refuse to do things for other people. As I said, I doubt this decision is about to cause massive social rucktions, however it is just possible that it might cause activists to think twice before trying to provoke people into doing things they can then be taken to court for.

tweetiepooh 12-10-2018 11:02

Good result - it should never have been taken this far. Too often people of all sorts take offence far too easily at it is decaying many freedoms that were fought for.

And things are usually very one sided. And it's "my" freedoms that are being denied.

From my point of view it seems (my) faith can be criticised but anything that opposes (my) faith is freedom not to be denied.

Mick 12-10-2018 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35966206)
I’m sure Tony Xu didn’t consider the publicity angle in any way shape or form before announcing to the papers that he was withholding the Ashers’ photos. :dozey: Unlike the Ashers themselves, who did not seek publicity for their actions.

I seriously doubt this is about to become a major social problem.

Also ... however much difficulty you have with people who disagree with same-sex marriage, you don’t have the right to force them to participate in its advocacy.

The price of that is that some people will refuse to do things for other people. As I said, I doubt this decision is about to cause massive social rucktions, however it is just possible that it might cause activists to think twice before trying to provoke people into doing things they can then be taken to court for.

Succinctly put Chris.

I think the issue in this case is a classic example of "Over Expectation".

Gay rights have, quite rightly, grown over the years and that is and always will be welcome in an equal society, "equal", being the buzz word, but I think some people, not all, in the LGBT Community have got ahead of themselves and think they have been given more rights over non-LGBT folk and that they can have some kind of hold over them, by playing the prejudice card.

Mr K 12-10-2018 11:23

If the bakers refused to put 'Manchester United' on the cake (quite justifiably imho ;) ), do you think that's ok ?

Maggy 12-10-2018 11:48

The answer is simple..Just take your custom somewhere else. Unless you are out to pick on those who don't have the same view as you. Just how many Cakegates have there been in the last couple of years? It's becoming tedious.

Angua 12-10-2018 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35966222)
The answer is simple..Just take your custom somewhere else. Unless you are out to pick on those who don't have the same view as you. Just how many Cakegates have there been in the last couple of years? It's becoming tedious.

What happens when there is no alternative within a reasonable distance?

papa smurf 12-10-2018 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966244)

Don't eat cake .;)

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35966221)
If the bakers refused to put 'Manchester United' on the cake (quite justifiably imho ;) ), do you think that's ok ?

On the Jeremy vine show yesterday a caller suggested going to Morrison as they will scan any picture and put it on a cake .

Mythica 12-10-2018 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35966245)
Don't eat cake .;)

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

On the Jeremy vine show yesterday a caller suggested going to Morrison as they will scan any picture and put it on a cake .

Not any picture they won't. I believe they have to follow copyright laws.

Maggy 12-10-2018 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966244)

Make your own perhaps.:)

Mr K 12-10-2018 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35966256)

Now that is the most constructive post in this thread :)

Angua 12-10-2018 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35966256)

Smarter than that, I get my daughter to make one. She makes the most wonderful cakes.

Sephiroth 12-10-2018 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35966258)
Smarter than that, I get my daughter to make one. She makes the most wonderful cakes.

With a slogan that promotes minority rights?

Angua 12-10-2018 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35966261)
With a slogan that promotes minority rights?

She wouldn't mind or care. One of her friends from 6th form is getting married to his boyfriend soon. He studied Theology at uni.

Mick 12-10-2018 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35966221)

Yes, even if I supported the club, which I don't nor ever have.

Mr K 12-10-2018 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35966265)
Yes, even if I supported the club, which I don't nor ever have.

Very wise Mick, I always had you down as a City fan ;)

Julian 06-01-2022 18:58

And now it finally appears to be over....

Ashers 'gay cake' case: European court rules case inadmissible

Mad Max 06-01-2022 19:02

Good, what a waste of time and money.

nomadking 06-01-2022 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36108323)
And now it finally appears to be over....

Ashers 'gay cake' case: European court rules case inadmissible

As is all too often, people not seeing past the headline.
Quote:

In their ruling on Thursday, the judges said the case was inadmissible because Mr Lee had not invoked his rights under the European Convention of Human Rights "at any point in the domestic proceedings" in the UK courts.
The judges decided that in order for a complaint to be admissible, "the Convention arguments must be raised explicitly or in substance before the domestic authorities".
"By relying solely on domestic law, the applicant had deprived the domestic courts of the opportunity to address any Convention issues raised, instead asking the court to usurp the role of the domestic courts.
Mr Lee's lawyer, Ciaran Moynagh, said the ruling was a missed opportunity, and that Mr Lee was considering whether a fresh case could be pursued in the UK.
Once he does that in the UK, it starts all over again. The grounds used to bring the case to the ECHR, hadn't been brought before the UK courts.

Ultimately they didn't discriminate against him as a customer, they just weren't prepared to produce that specific item. Just as halal-only Subways are (illegally) allowed to operate.

Paul 06-01-2022 19:24

Huge waste of time and money, they should have just gone to another shop instead of being entitled pricks - and they wonder why so many people pick on them.

nomadking 06-01-2022 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36108328)
Huge waste of time and money, they should have just gone to another shop instead of being entitled pricks - and they wonder why so many people pick on them.

You're assuming their choice of bakers wasn't intentionally vindictive and discriminatory.

Paul 06-01-2022 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36108329)
You're assuming their choice of bakers wasn't intentionally vindictive and discriminatory.

True, I am giving them the benefit of doubt on that, but it would not surprise me if they did it deliberately.

Chris 06-01-2022 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36108329)

On the contrary - the bakers’ defence throughout has been that they were nothing of the sort. They have said so under oath. It is no mere assumption to hold that position with regard to this case.

This has always been an argument that an individual cannot be compelled to speak contrary to their conscience. The bakers have stated repeatedly that they were happy to sell the plaintiff any cake in their shop but that they would not create a product containing a slogan contrary to their own sincerely held religious belief.

Compelled speech is, and must always be, prevented in law.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36108326)
Once he does that in the UK, it starts all over again. The grounds used to bring the case to the ECHR, hadn't been brought before the UK courts.

Ultimately they didn't discriminate against him as a customer, they just weren't prepared to produce that specific item. Just as halal-only Subways are (illegally) allowed to operate.

I would be surprised if they are allowed to bring a fresh case on new grounds. It would ultimately be the same complaint, just with different legal arguments to be presented. Were they to try, it’s likely Ashers’ lawyers would move to have them declared vexatious litigants, which is not something you want against your name.

nomadking 06-01-2022 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36108338)
On the contrary - the bakers’ defence throughout has been that they were nothing of the sort. They have said so under oath. It is no mere assumption to hold that position with regard to this case.

This has always been an argument that an individual cannot be compelled to speak contrary to their conscience. The bakers have stated repeatedly that they were happy to sell the plaintiff any cake in their shop but that they would not create a product containing a slogan contrary to their own sincerely held religious belief.

Compelled speech is, and must always be, prevented in law.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

I would be surprised if they are allowed to bring a fresh case on new grounds. It would ultimately be the same complaint, just with different legal arguments to be presented. Were they to try, it’s likely Ashers’ lawyers would move to have them declared vexatious litigants, which is not something you want against your name.

I said "their choice of bakers", so who did you think I was referring to as "their"? How could "their" refer to the bakers?:confused:

You're assuming that the complainants raison d'etre isn't to be "vexatious litigants". It started over 7 years ago, so what isn't "vexatious" about that?

Chris 06-01-2022 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36108340)
I said "their choice of bakers", so who did you think I was referring to as "their"? How could "their" refer to the bakers?:confused:

You're assuming that the complainants raison d'etre isn't to be "vexatious litigants". It started over 7 years ago, so what isn't "vexatious" about that?

Apologies … I read your words back to front and thought you were discussing the bakers’ motivation when you were actually referring to the complainant.

As to the other issue, it’s not vexatious to pursue appeals through the process set down in law, all the way to the Supreme Court if the legal arguments justify it (which clearly they did here).

However, for them to now go back to the county court (or whatever its equivalent in NI) would in my view be vexatious. The complainant felt injured and had a range of options when it came to persuading the court to side with him. If his legal team made bad arguments then that’s his loss.

nomadking 06-01-2022 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36108341)
Apologies … I read your words back to front and thought you were discussing the bakers’ motivation when you were actually referring to the complainant.

As to the other issue, it’s not vexatious to pursue appeals through the process set down in law, all the way to the Supreme Court if the legal arguments justify it (which clearly they did here).

However, for them to now go back to the county court (or whatever its equivalent in NI) would in my view be vexatious. The complainant felt injured and had a range of options when it came to persuading the court to side with him. If his legal team made bad arguments then that’s his loss.

Over £250,000 being spent just by the NI Equality Commission, along with the costs of other people/organisations, over a cake costing £36.50, isn't vexatious?

Chris 06-01-2022 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36108343)
Over £250,000 being spent just by the NI Equality Commission, along with the costs of other people/organisations, over a cake costing £36.50, isn't vexatious?

No - vexatious has a particular meaning in law, and it wouldn’t apply to the process so far.

It most definitely is ridiculous though, and it leaves me wondering whether the complainant might have taken offence rather more easily than it was offered.

nomadking 06-01-2022 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36108344)
No - vexatious has a particular meaning in law, and it wouldn’t apply to the process so far.

It most definitely is ridiculous though, and it leaves me wondering whether the complainant might have taken offence rather more easily than it was offered.

As is all to often, there was no offence involved, just being awkward, bullying, and vindictive.

Julian 06-01-2022 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36108326)

I did read the whole article thank you son.

Hence "appears"

Wind your neck in. :rolleyes:

Pierre 06-01-2022 22:19

Excellent.

We can all move on. He can choose to take his business elsewhere and they can choose to bake something that doesn’t make them feel uncomfortable.

As it should be.

Damien 06-01-2022 22:47

Is the cake shop still in business?

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

EDIT: Appears so: https://www.ashersbakingco.com/

Bigger than I thought, I had assumed it was a small shop and therefore this publicity/legal trouble might have been too much. Seems they're doing fine though.

Paul 06-01-2022 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36108350)
We can all move on. He can choose to take his business elsewhere and they can choose to bake something that doesn’t make them feel uncomfortable.

As should have happened 7 [or whatever] years ago, instead of all this legal nonsense. :sleep:

jfman 06-01-2022 22:58

The lawyers can go to cake shops and ask for cakes with £50 note designs on them. Lots of them.

Blackshep 07-01-2022 03:31

This is a blast from the past I always thought this was a setup by someone who knew the religious position of the bakers and wanted to create a situation. Good to hear the shops still in business despite this faux outrage of the idiot that started all this.

Maggy 07-01-2022 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36108351)
Is the cake shop still in business?

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

EDIT: Appears so: https://www.ashersbakingco.com/

Bigger than I thought, I had assumed it was a small shop and therefore this publicity/legal trouble might have been too much. Seems they're doing fine though.

All publicity is good publicity in a fair number of cases.;)

Damien 07-01-2022 10:14

I agree with the ruling in the end that you can't compel someone to create a message and it's not the same as refusing service.

That said given the size of the business, multiple stores and a supplier for supermarkets, I do wonder why someone else in the business couldn't make the cake? I originally thought it was a single, independent, baker run by this couple and they personally had to bake it against their religious beliefs.

If you're religious and you run a business is it the case that those values should flow down the entire company? That the business itself cannot produce the cake irrespective of the personal beliefs of the person actually writing that message?

tweetiepooh 07-01-2022 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36108382)
I agree with the ruling in the end that you can't compel someone to create a message and it's not the same as refusing service.

That said given the size of the business, multiple stores and a supplier for supermarkets, I do wonder why someone else in the business couldn't make the cake? I originally thought it was a single, independent, baker run by this couple and they personally had to bake it against their religious beliefs.

If you're religious and you run a business is it the case that those values should flow down the entire company? That the business itself cannot produce the cake irrespective of the personal beliefs of the person actually writing that message?

That could get to be a slippery slope. If the basic ethos of the business is in line with the individuals then beliefs may be part of the whole.

Chris 07-01-2022 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36108382)

It’s not unusual for a business to have an ethos which it expects its employees to have due regard to. There are plenty of companies, for example, that explicitly identify themselves as vegan and cite ethical reasons for being so. They may or may not insist their employees are vegan (though that might not be legal) but they will expect employees to toe the line and be sufficiently in sympathy with the company’s aims and objectives to be able to do their jobs, whether that be product design, communication, sales or marketing or whatever.

Hom3r 07-01-2022 17:46

Well as my niece is in a same-sex relationship, her and many of her friends would never go near the place, even if it was that or nothing.

As would I.

OLD BOY 07-01-2022 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36108426)
Well as my niece is in a same-sex relationship, her and many of her friends would never go near the place, even if it was that or nothing.

As would I.

And that is as it should be - personal choice.

Nobody should be permitted a right to inflict their own views on others.

Damien 08-01-2022 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36108402)
It’s not unusual for a business to have an ethos which it expects its employees to have due regard to. There are plenty of companies, for example, that explicitly identify themselves as vegan and cite ethical reasons for being so. They may or may not insist their employees are vegan (though that might not be legal) but they will expect employees to toe the line and be sufficiently in sympathy with the company’s aims and objectives to be able to do their jobs, whether that be product design, communication, sales or marketing or whatever.

Yeah, good point about the vegan thing although I think that is then part of that company branding in a way this objection to gay marriage isn't but I can see the company having an ethos.