Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Rugby : Rugby Union Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33608931)

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 18:48

Re: Rugby Union

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415201)
They weren't aimed at the team - they were aimed at certain England fans who read far more in to the result than was there.

I must of missed those posts, don't think I have seen one that has gone OTT, mind you I missed the newspapers at the start of the competition when they were holding us up as potential champs as well

Russ 15-10-2007 18:49

Funnily enough I never said they were. What I said was the media was bigging you guys up and we were treated like the second class relations, as is the norm for when the home nations play in any tournament.

Shadow Demon UK 15-10-2007 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415216)
Funnily enough I never said they were. What I said was the media was bigging you guys up and we were treated like the second class relations, as is the norm for when the home nations play in any tournament.

If i remember rightly it was actually the Irish that were being 'bigged up' at the begining of the tournament by the press. Even if England were being 'bigged up' as you say they were it was obviously the correct team to do it to as they are the only home nation that has actually played well.

Russ 15-10-2007 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34415220)
If i remember rightly it was actually the Irish that were being 'bigged up' at the begining of the tournament by the press. Even if England were being 'bigged up' as you say they were it was obviously the correct team to do it to as they are the only home nation that has actually played well.

That's a fair point, I'll grant you that but England always have had, and always will get the bigger share of column inches regardless of who plays well.

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415216)

They weren't though, next to no media interest in the competition, all the home nations were equally written of

Russ 15-10-2007 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34415224)
They weren't though, next to no media interest in the competition, all the home nations were equally written off

All may have been written off, but England had the more publicity and headline space. It's always been that way. Being English you don't notice it as it's normal for you however next time all the home nations (or England and another home nation in seperate matches) are playing, see if you can spot who gets the more space in the papers and gets mentioned first on the news.

Shadow Demon UK 15-10-2007 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415225)
All may have been written off, but England had the more publicity and headline space. It's always been that way. Being English you don't notice it as it's normal for you however next time all the home nations (or England and another home nation in seperate matches) are playing, see if you can spot who gets the more space in the papers and gets mentioned first on the news.

But there will be more English people reading those English newspapers and watching the news, it's like saying Man Utd get more headlines than Derby County, it's because they have more fans. And i'm sure Derby fans wouldn't start asking about having a reduction in license fees because their match is shown towards the end of MOTD.

Russ 15-10-2007 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34415237)
But there will be more English people reading those English newspapers and watching the news, it's like saying Man Utd get more headlines than Derby County, it's because they have more fans. And i'm sure Derby fans wouldn't start asking about having a reduction in license fees because their match is shown towards the end of MOTD.

But just as Derby fans would be disgruntled, can you not see how the rest of us are equally disgruntled? In any case I'm sure Derby and co will understand that 20-odd teams being crammed in to a few pages or an hour's broadcast will mean the bigger teams will obviously get priority. However when there are just 4 home teams and England still gets the bigger publicity....

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415245)
But just as Derby fans would be disgruntled, can you not see how the rest of us are equally disgruntled? In any case I'm sure Derby and co will understand that 20-odd teams being crammed in to a few pages or an hour's broadcast will mean the bigger teams will obviously get priority. However when there are just 4 home teams and England still gets the bigger publicity....

When was the last time MOTD showed 10 matches? If it goes on comparing size of team, in terms of size and success Wales would be worthy of little more than a byline compared to England

Russ 15-10-2007 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34415257)
When was the last time MOTD showed 10 matches? If it goes on comparing size of team, in terms of size and success Wales would be worthy of little more than a byline compared to England

So I'm not to have digs at England but you can about Wales? Double standards boyo. But the media have made that feel normal to you.

Anyway it's not about success, it's about proportions. There are 4 home nations, that's a small enough number for all of them to get equal coverage.

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415263)
So I'm not to have digs at England but you can about Wales? Double standards boyo. But the media have made that feel normal to you.

Taste of your own medicine, bitter ain't it

Russ 15-10-2007 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34415272)
Taste of your own medicine, bitter ain't it

Well I suppose you're pretty open about having double standards, I give you credit for that. But no, I'm not bitter :)

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415277)
Well I suppose you're pretty open about having double standards,

I never actually asked you to stop having digs, just why you kept doing it ;)

Russ 15-10-2007 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34415302)
I never actually asked you to stop having digs, just why you kept doing it ;)

Oh that's easy, it winds you up no end ;)

TheDaddy 15-10-2007 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34415310)
Oh that's easy, it winds you up no end ;)

I suspect it winds me up no more than it winds you up ;)