Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Police to get tough on internet trolls. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703445)

heero_yuy 17-10-2017 08:54

Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35920394)

Imagine if Facebook had to premoderate every comment :shocked:

The task would be Herculean, consider this:

Quote:

Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510,000 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded. (Source: The Social Skinny)
Facebook stats

Osem 17-10-2017 09:05

The internet has moved beyond the point at which it's any longer possible to exercise any major form of control over it. The genie is out of the bottle.

denphone 17-10-2017 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35920425)

Facebook stats

You would need one of those massive supercomputers to do that job.

Onramp 17-10-2017 19:13

Nobody is allowed to experience anything bad any more. It's illegal.

Now everyone's life is cured! :D

Osem 17-10-2017 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35920548)
Nobody is allowed to experience anything bad any more. It's illegal.

Now everyone's life is cured! :D

I find that remark grossly insulting and offensive and am going to report you to the thought police. Expect a knock on your door any time...

:rolleyes:

RichardCoulter 21-10-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35920425)

Facebook stats

Wow, it would take forever :shocked:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...10/3.jpg:large

According to a meeting that I went to recently about discrimination based upon disability (mentioned earlier), hostility is now viewed by the police as a form of bullying.

If someone doesn't like someone, the police would still expect them to be treated with respect and courtesy. This is especially the case if the reason is because they are vulnerable or in a minority group.

I think it's because even bigots, bullies etc have found that most decent people reject and socially isolate them when they are upfront about it, so they try to hurt and discriminate against people in a more subtle manner.

Image courtesy of deadite66.

RichardCoulter 25-10-2017 19:57

Learned today that people who have suffered online abuse, harrassment, stalking, discrimination etc who complain to the police are to be given an app that only the police can distribute.

It takes screenshots, video & audio recordings etc to be used as evidence.

By getting victims to collate their own evidence, I suppose this frees up police resources and the clampdown on this sort of behaviour won't take up too much extra time either.

Paul 26-10-2017 19:44

An "App", so only of any use on a smartphone then.

And how will they make it that "only the police can distribute".

RichardCoulter 26-10-2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35921986)
An "App", so only of any use on a smartphone then.

And how will they make it that "only the police can distribute".

I suppose tablets can be used too.

The police say that they will distribute it (it will be password protected) only to those who need to make use of it.

Paul 26-10-2017 23:38

Right, because no one will find out the password, or hack the site, or distribute it once they have a copy.

More typical tech cluelessness from those making these decisions.

(and really, there are tons of apps that can take screenshots and recordings already).

RichardCoulter 07-12-2017 16:08

Sexist hate crimes could be added to the current protected groups:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...make-misogyny/

At the moment the current protected groups only cover disability, sexuality etc.

Paul 07-12-2017 18:14

More BS from overpaid idiots.

This pretty sums up this nonsense ;

Quote:

Mr Hamilton said it would be considered whether either "gender-based" or "single gender female" should become a category of hate crime, suggesting that crimes against men could also be included.
Suggesting ?

Right, so its not at all SEXIST to exclude men :rolleyes:

RichardCoulter 07-12-2017 19:11

I think both should be included as to do otherwise would be as ridiculous as saying that race hate can only be applied to black people!

Gavin78 08-12-2017 12:33

I got pulled in to have a chat with the police over a facebook comment about travellers, it had been reported a couple of times in the local paper about travellers coming back to the same site in a short period of time.

Despite comments like "do what the french do" and "put landmines down" it seems my comment with chase them off with a flame thrower didn't go down so well with a "traveller charity" who reported my comment to the police.

Who actually acted on it and pulled me in for an interview about it. gave me a telling off and said I could go and mind what I say infuture as they register me on the local database.

Seems the other comments he had a copy of didn't matter "2 wrongs don't make a right" he said.

I just said right seen as you've wasted my time I'll report every comment I find offensive and expect you to act on it.

pip08456 08-12-2017 14:30

Are you really saying that the use of a flamethrower is a tool that anyone should be able to use?

What planet are you on????