Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What have you fixed lately? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694731)

peanut 22-07-2014 16:31

Re: What have you fixed lately?

Fixed my shower by replacing the pressure relief device. Not bad for someone who doesn't have a clue.

What would we do without the internet.....

Osem 26-07-2014 11:13

One of our downstairs toilets. The cistern wasn't fitted with an overflow (just a water shut off valve) and has been overflowing onto the floor intermittently so I bought one of these and fixed it.

I must say the ball valve assembly is a very curious and not entirely satisfactory arrangement IMHO.

Taf 26-07-2014 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35717573)
One of our downstairs toilets. The cistern wasn't fitted with an overflow (just a water shut off valve) and has been overflowing onto the floor intermittently so I bought one of these and fixed it.

I must say the ball valve assembly is a very curious and not entirely satisfactory arrangement IMHO.

There are many other types of valve these days. A lot of cisterns now "overflow" straight into the bowl, meaning you don't have to have a hole in the wall that allows cold air in during the chilly months.

I have weatherproofed some new solar LED lights by short circuit soldering the switch, soldering the batteries to the connections, then silicon spraying the lot.

Osem 26-07-2014 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35717588)
There are many other types of valve these days. A lot of cisterns now "overflow" straight into the bowl, meaning you don't have to have a hole in the wall that allows cold air in during the chilly months.

I have weatherproofed some new solar LED lights by short circuit soldering the switch, soldering the batteries to the connections, then silicon spraying the lot.

Yes I've seen those and think they're a much better idea. Guess the guy who fitted our toilet either forgot to connect the overflow or couldn't be bothered. Anyway it seems to be ok now so now more wet floors I hope.

Taf 26-07-2014 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35717591)
...... so now more wet floors I hope.

Stand closer to the bowl ;)

Osem 26-07-2014 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35717599)
Stand closer to the bowl ;)

lol

dilli-theclaw 26-07-2014 17:24

My filing cabinet drawer - which the metal rail popped off earlier.

Blind woodwork - a new sport ;)

Osem 10-08-2014 23:16

A new venetian blind in Osem Jnr #2's new bedroom. More work to follow to turn it into his own private den.

Also, the rear brake on my mountain bike and a puncture on the wife's. Took me a while to remember how to get the tyre off but the old 2 forks plus tyre lever procedure soon came flooding back.

Osem 19-09-2014 17:30

'Fixed' the 6.4mm laminated glass in my new porch. Finally bit the bullet, measured up, had the stuff cut and did the fitting myself using neutral cure, low modulus silicone. Quite pleased with the results, especially after a great tip I was given to finish the silicone neatly by using a misting spray to moisten the surrounding area before removing the excess silicone. It's like everything though, if I did the job again I'd do quite a few things differently.

ThunderPants73 20-09-2014 11:46

I'd LIKE to fix a dripping hot tap in my Ikea taps. Does anyone know if the cartridges are standard, or specific to each tap design?

raging bull 20-09-2014 15:51

So I take it they are 1/4turn taps which have a ceramic face?
I have found taps have standard bottom parts, spindle length can vary slightly for knob/handle. (don't throw any spacers away)
For future make sure water temperature at the tap doesn't go over 60°C as too high a temp kills the washer/ceramic face!

Taf 20-09-2014 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35730371)
I'd LIKE to fix a dripping hot tap in my Ikea taps. Does anyone know if the cartridges are standard, or specific to each tap design?

I have found that if you get ANY failures in IKEA parts they quite often replace for free!

Osem 20-09-2014 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35730421)
So I take it they are 1/4turn taps which have a ceramic face?
I have found taps have standard bottom parts, spindle length can vary slightly for knob/handle. (don't throw any spacers away)
For future make sure water temperature at the tap doesn't go over 60°C as too high a temp kills the washer/ceramic face!

That's a good point. I've been looking for a replacement cartridge for a dripping basin tap in our bathroom and seen plenty which look very similar apart from the spindle. I can't seem to find one exactly the same so may take a chance on swapping out the ceramic discs, spacers etc. but retain the old spindle etc. Will post back if/when I get around to it.

Sirius 20-09-2014 18:26

Fixed my Samsung 22" lcd. Power supply capacitor had popped. 59p to replace :D

pabscars 20-09-2014 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35730445)
Fixed my Samsung 22" lcd. Power supply capacitor had popped. 59p to replace :D

Nice one

Didn't realise you did component level stuff Sirius, could come in handy :)