Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

denphone 22-06-2013 13:10

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35587131)
39 days to go and still no news about BT Sport launching on Virgin Media... surely talks between them don't take this long?

Talks can take longer then you think and remember no news is usually good news.:D

Chad 22-06-2013 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35587131)
39 days to go and still no news about BT Sport launching on Virgin Media... surely talks between them don't take this long?

I think a deal has been done on the understanding that Virgin can't make any announcement until maybe a few days prior to launch. This would allow BT to plug the channel as being exclusive to BT right up until the last 72 hours. There is no way the below was a simple mistake by Virgin. I think Virgin "accidentally" put the information out there to reassure existing customers the channel is on the way. Even if the page was only live on Virgins website for an hour, that would be long enough for the information to go viral, and Virgin know this!

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Dash: CF noob 22-06-2013 13:18

I'm inclined to think the same way Chad.

denphone 22-06-2013 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35587142)
I think a deal has been done on the understanding that Virgin can't make any announcement until maybe a few days prior to launch. This would allow BT to plug the channel as being exclusive to BT right up until the last 72 hours. There is no way the below was a simple mistake by Virgin. I think Virgin "accidentally" put the information out there to reassure existing customers the channel is on the way. Even if the page was only live on Virgins website for an hour, that would be long enough for the information to go viral, and Virgin know this!

That crystal ball never lets you down dear chap.:D

Mad Max 22-06-2013 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35587142)

Spot on mate!

Chad 22-06-2013 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35587147)
That crystal ball never lets you down dear chap.:D

The only time it is wrong is when I try to gaze into it after a few beers! I'm beer free at the moment, so the omens are good ;)

nstokes 22-06-2013 13:41

I agree with Chad, deal has been done but not able to say that yet so BT can keep advertising the way they do. Wonder if VM will get the HD channels as well or just the SD ones

johnasimmons 22-06-2013 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35587152)
The only time it is wrong is when I try to gaze into it after a few beers! I'm beer free at the moment, so the omens are good ;)

:beer:

Chad 22-06-2013 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35587158)
I agree with Chad, deal has been done but not able to say that yet so BT can keep advertising the way they do. Wonder if VM will get the HD channels as well or just the SD ones

We've seen Virgin come on leaps and bounds in the past 12 months adding many of the missing HD channels, with a couple rumored to arrive next week. The only provider that seems to withhold HD channels from Virgin is SKY. Other HD channels missing are either part owned by SKY, or have an exclusive deal with SKY. I see no reason why BT would withhold the HD versions of the channels from Virgin. I can see Virgin customers having to pay an extra sub to get the HD channels though, just like BT and SKY customers will have to do.

denphone 22-06-2013 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35587160)
:beer:

Oh dear you have started early today.;)

colin25 22-06-2013 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35587163)
We've seen Virgin come on leaps and bounds in the past 12 months adding many of the missing HD channels, with a couple rumored to arrive next week. The only provider that seems to withhold HD channels from Virgin is SKY. Other HD channels missing are either part owned by SKY, or have an exclusive deal with SKY. I see no reason why BT would withhold the HD versions of the channels from Virgin. I can see Virgin customers having to pay an extra sub to get the HD channels though, just like BT and SKY customers will have to do.

I don't see any issue with with holding channels, why should sky provide the channels unless it is in their interest.

Everyone has a choice to get sky.

that is like saying it is wrong for Virgin to hold back broadband to sky customers..they don't..you want virgin broadband..you buy from virgin

Mr Banana 22-06-2013 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35587151)
Spot on mate!

I'm not convinced - still think they are hammering out a deal. Reckon VM want to take the 6 quid per sub saving from Espn and pass that on making BT Sports from VM circa 9 quid. BT probably don't like that, so reckon VM are looking at ways to prop up XL, possibly with free Netflix or something similar and therefore charging full price for BT Sports.

Just my views I must add

denphone 22-06-2013 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35587173)
I'm not convinced - still think they are hammering out a deal. Reckon VM want to take the 6 quid per sub saving from Espn and pass that on making BT Sports from VM circa 9 quid. BT probably don't like that, so reckon VM are looking at ways to prop up XL, possibly with free Netflix or something similar and therefore charging full price for BT Sports.

Just my views I must add

And all views are welcomed as its the different opinions that make this forum so interesting.

Dave42 22-06-2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35587171)
I don't see any issue with with holding channels, why should sky provide the channels unless it is in their interest.

Everyone has a choice to get sky.

that is like saying it is wrong for Virgin to hold back broadband to sky customers..they don't..you want virgin broadband..you buy from virgin

not everyone can get sky Colin you naughty man

colin25 22-06-2013 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35587187)
not everyone can get sky Colin you naughty man

Point taken. But not everyone can get Virgin either :)