Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Please document any V6 issues here. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704015)

RichardCoulter 22-02-2017 23:29

Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35887040)
Perhaps the V6 AI trying to tell you something.... ;)

Lol, I actually record it for the woman that does my ironing as she wanted something to watch (she does bar work at night when it's on).

She never got chance to keep up, so asked if she could watch CS whilst ironing.

heavyside 23-02-2017 07:16

I have had my two V6s for three weeks now and yesterday evening I encountered my first glitch when Netflix froze soon after launching. A re-boot fixed it. Could this be the end of civilization as we know it?

denphone 23-02-2017 07:28

No as there will always be bugs and glitches with new boxes as the wise sages of this forum did state.

anap 23-02-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAST (Post 35885867)
Strange issue with one of our V6's last night

Whilst recording and watching Elementary on sky 1 HD last night (most recent episode) the V6 suddenly restarted!!

So we switched to Sky plus 1 and started watching (did not record) it again one hour later.

At exactly the same point the V6 re-started again!!

V6 appears to be behaving itself on all other recordings/programs

Any ideas or suggestions to explain this behaviour

Tel

The same thing happened to me last night (Twice!). I forwarded a bit past the point where it restarted and the rest of the episode was fine. Odd!

fixerman 26-02-2017 17:53

1 Attachment(s)
I had two V6 boxes installed on Monday last. I intend to give my opinion on the boxes in general as soon as I have had some experience of their performance.

There is one major issue that I am experiencing straight off and it is the attached image shows what a Youtube screen looks like when I am playing any content. This black box is superimposed on the screen and appears to show a live readout of statistics of the current screen. I have not found a way to make it go away. As a result Youtube is unwatchable. It's only visible on the Youtube app. Whats more remarkable is that it only appears on one of the boxes. The second box works fine.

Any ideas?

Attachment 26901

OLDGOLD 26-02-2017 19:36

I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?

Joedm45 26-02-2017 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35887569)
I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?

Sounds like a random reboot during the recording to me. No doubt the EPG shows it as 1 show and the only reason for 2 separate recordings like that is a reboot.

I've not timed a reboot on my V6 but 5 minutes sounds feasible

fixerman 26-02-2017 19:50

I have experienced split recordings for no apparent reason. It happened when I recorded Casablanca today.

Mad Max 26-02-2017 23:26

Well this isn't very encouraging is it!

OLD BOY 27-02-2017 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35887595)

These are very much exceptions, Max. Mine both work perfectly and are far superior to the old Tivos.

The guys who have reported these problems on this forum just need to report what has happened to CS. I am sure they can sort this out.

denphone 27-02-2017 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35887595)

l hope they get their problems sorted out but one must not wildly exaggerate any problems MM.:)

mike_gain 27-02-2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35887607)
These are very much exceptions, Max. Mine both work perfectly and are far superior to the old Tivos.

The guys who have reported these problems on this forum just need to report what has happened to CS. I am sure they can sort this out.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

They are quicker and much more responsive (i.e. they've chucked hardware at a software problem) but the V6 is demonstrably louder than any of my legacy V6s and anecdotal as it may be I've been forced to restart my V6 at least twice a month since January due to it starting up in a black screen......I've only every been forced to restart start my original 2011 box (which i still have) twice. Also some of the issues identified during the software testing are still present which is a shame.

However when they are up an running the do perform very well but at the moment I've won't be getting another V6 as the extra "functionality" is not worth the additional outlay. There's no restriction that prevents my existing box from performing it's "press play and actually play something withing a couple of seconds" function as it did in 2011 just shoddy software. It's just a pain I've had to fork out extra to get a box that has the hardware to compensate for the software.

OLD BOY 27-02-2017 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35887623)
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

They are quicker and much more responsive (i.e. they've chucked hardware at a software problem) but the V6 is demonstrably louder than any of my legacy V6s and anecdotal as it may be I've been forced to restart my V6 at least twice a month since January due to it starting up in a black screen......I've only every been forced to restart start my original 2011 box (which i still have) twice. Also some of the issues identified during the software testing are still present which is a shame.

However when they are up an running the do perform very well but at the moment I've won't be getting another V6 as the extra "functionality" is not worth the additional outlay. There's no restriction that prevents my existing box from performing it's "press play and actually play something withing a couple of seconds" function as it did in 2011 just shoddy software. It's just a pain I've had to fork out extra to get a box that has the hardware to compensate for the software.

I can only say that you must have been lucky with your old Tivo. I found I had to re-boot mine every week, and more on some occasions. Once my new V6s were set up and running as they should, I have not had to re-boot either of them even once.

As with any new technology, some people will experience problems, but I think the lack of complaints on here ( and we do like to complain, don't we?) indicates that by and large, this has been a pretty successful launch. I am certainly well pleased.

As far as your black screen problem is concerned, I understand that this is a known fault which will be overcome with an update. In the meantime, adjust your power savings so that it doesn't automatically switch off after use.

I am surprised you find the V6 noisy. I don't hear a peep out of mine. Could you deaden the sound by putting your V6 on a different surface (eg foam) which will stop any vibration?

mike_gain 27-02-2017 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35887666)
I can only say that you must have been lucky with your old Tivo. I found I had to re-boot mine every week, and more on some occasions. Once my new V6s were set up and running as they should, I have not had to re-boot either of them even once.

As with any new technology, some people will experience problems, but I think the lack of complaints on here ( and we do like to complain, don't we?) indicates that by and large, this has been a pretty successful launch. I am certainly well pleased.

As far as your black screen problem is concerned, I understand that this is a known fault which will be overcome with an update. In the meantime, adjust your power savings so that it doesn't automatically switch off after use.

I am surprised you find the V6 noisy. I don't hear a peep out of mine. Could you deaden the sound by putting your V6 on a different surface (eg foam) which will stop any vibration?

Perhaps you've been lucky with your V6s.... you can't refute one anecdotal piece of evidence with another but I had 4 legacy boxes with only one that needed restarted (i.e. crashed) the other 3 just ran non-top.

The new boxes seems to be repeating similar early issues as the legacy box did (wonder when they digital out will start playing up) but aside from any issues can we really say a fully operational V6 is far superior to a fully working legacy box?

Apart from the performance issues which should't be there in the first place and perhaps its smaller form factor the V6 is pretty much the same box. The V6 is a better experience yes but simply because I'm not questioning myself as to whether I've actually pressed a button on the remote, I'd not go overboard with the hyperbole because of this, mainly because the V6 level of performance should be the baseline for the legacy box.

With regard to the black screen issue i'm pretty sure what I experience is similar to that of a know issue and I have adjusted the power saving settings and have introduced a delay in switching on the V6 to make sure all the required devices in the signal flow are on before the V6 is turned on to discount any HDMI handshake issues but still get it every so often and every so often it gets stuck in "Waking Up" if it has been turned off. I'll learn to live with it as the start up following a poweroff and on isn't too long

With regard to the noise it's not an amplification of a vibration by the unit it is on. It's the actually disk spinning that;s producing the nouse short of opening up the box and adding some noise suppression I'm kind of stuck with it. Be a pretty good tool for producing a form of pink noise for setting up an EQ though.

Perfect Choice 27-02-2017 14:02

I also hear noise from my V6 box as well which is the disk spinning. It is louder than my old Tivo box so was surprised to have this. The noise is just at a volume that if you get a quiet part in a programme you can hear it which makes it distracting once you catch the noise. If you put the TV on silent you can definitely hear it anyway. Would not want to have my V6 in a room I slept in for example. This is one negative of the new V6 box I have, apart from this have been very happy with the box and had no problems at all. I've had no crash issues and also power down overnight without any issues, so guess I am lucky on that problem I know some people have had.